2. Nick Castellanos (R) RF
3. Joey Votto (L) 1B
4. Eugenio Suarez (R) 3B
5. Jesse Winker (L) DH
6. Christian Colon (R) 2B
7. Tucker Barnhart (L) C
8. Freddy Galvis (S) SS
9. Travis Jankowski (L) CF

So does Jankowski hit right handers better than Ervin or Davidson (with Winker in LF)?

mth123
08-09-2020, 10:11 AM
This is why guys like Jankowski shouldn't be on the roster. Aquino in LF and Shogo in CF would have been perfectly fine.

UPRedsFan
08-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Looked it up. They are all 3 about the same Level of bad offense against rhp, but obviously it’s a better defense with him in CF. Colon over Farmer is interesting too. Must be a matchup thing

UPRedsFan
08-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Shocked to see AA is about the same for his career against rhp or lhp. Would have been a good spot start for him.

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 11:06 AM
The Brewers lineup has been added to the original post

DocRed
08-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Yikes this lineup. 2 guys that barely made the 30 man starting

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 12:09 PM
this is not me being critical of david bell (for once) because i'm not sold on aquino either. but it is pretty obvious to me that david bell does not like aquino and views 8/19 as a fluke. otherwise, he would have made the opening day roster. otherwise, he would at least be getting more playing time than he has this year.

the only logical explanation is that bell no gusta aquino.

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 12:13 PM
this is not me being critical of david bell (for once) because i'm not sold on aquino either. but it is pretty obvious to me that david bell does not like aquino and views 8/19 as a fluke. otherwise, he would have made the opening day roster. otherwise, he would at least be getting more playing time than he is right now.

The roster is decided upon by more than just one Reds employee.

- - - Updated - - -

Jamie Ramsey
@Jamieblog
Geno’s next homer will be career no.150. He told media today he’s dedicating it to
@JimDayTV

DocRed
08-09-2020, 12:17 PM
this is not me being critical of david bell (for once) because i'm not sold on aquino either. but it is pretty obvious to me that david bell does not like aquino and views 8/19 as a fluke. otherwise, he would have made the opening day roster. otherwise, he would at least be getting more playing time than he is right now.

Ya Jank starting over Aquino is insane to me and I'm really not a huge fan of Aquino. Jankowski will be lucky to hit to out of the infield today.

Rolando
08-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Will just be on the front office aren't they the ones that cut The punisher in December of 2018? So they must not have a very high opinion of him right?

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 12:20 PM
The roster is decided upon by more than just one Reds employee.

- - - Updated - - -

i know. are you disputing what i said that it's obvious david bell is not a fan of aquino?

mth123
08-09-2020, 12:21 PM

Is it Bell or is it higher up the food chain? They added Castellanos and Akiyama to fill up the OF and for good measure signed Moose to ensure Senzel would stay out there too. Seems like its more than just Bell who didn't see a role for Aquino.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Will just be on the front office aren't they the ones that cut The punisher in December of 2018? So they must not have a very high opinion of him right?

once aquino is on the team, which he has been for several games this year, it's bell's decision how much he plays. i'm sure the front office steps in occasionally in regard to playing time for players, but i seriously doubt they told david bell not to play aquino when he's on the team due to injuries to other players, etc.

what is clear to me, to your point, is both the front office and david bell are not fans of aquino. their actions speak this loud and clear.

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 12:23 PM
i know. are you disputing what i said that it's obvious david bell is not a fan of aquino?

Pretty much

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Is it Bell or is it higher up the food chain? They added Castellanos and Akiyama to fill up the OF and for good measure signed Moose to ensure Senzel would stay out there too. Seems like its more than just Bell who didn't see a role for Aquino.

right, i think we were posting at the same time. chances are very high, imo, that both the front office and bell are not fans of aquino. bell gives jankowski more playing time than he gives aquino. he gives ervin more playing time. on and on and on.

DocRed
08-09-2020, 12:24 PM
They should have brought up Aquino this weekend with Senzel and Moose out instead of Kuhnel who is likely not gonna pitch anyways unless we are being blown out. They could have even put Strop on the IL and brought him up yesterday. Bad moves IMO whoever is making them...

JFLegal
Pretty much

cool. quite an easy agree to disagree situation.

Kc61
This is why guys like Jankowski shouldn't be on the roster. Aquino in LF and Shogo in CF would have been perfectly fine.

Jankowski has a .335 lifetime OBP against RHP. He does that with better speed and defense than other reserves on the team. He actually plays CF. Reds need to give him some playing time if he’s going to get going at all.

Jankowski is a better player than his RedsZone reputation. Thankfully the Reds see him as potentially useful, and are giving him a chance, despite some dismissive fans.

mth123
08-09-2020, 12:27 PM
Part of the issue is that Aquino has options and Jankowski and Ervin do not. I hate that reason, but I'd be shocked if it isn't a huge factor. I don't understand worrying about losing either guy to be honest but especially Jankowski.

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Sahadev Sharma
@sahadevsharma
Derek Dietrich has requested and was granted his release by the Cubs so he can pursue a big-league opportunity. Cubs 60-man at 59.

DocRed
08-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Part of the issue is that Aquino has options and Jankowski and Ervin do not. I hate that reason, but I'd be shocked if it isn't a huge factor. I don't understand worrying about losing either guy to be honest but especially Jankowski.

Ya Jankowski hasn't affected this team at all this year except maybe in a negative way with his anemic slash line.

DocRed
08-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Quick sign DD and start him at 2B!!!!

mth123
Jankowski has a .335 lifetime OBP against RHP. He does that with better speed and defense than other reserves on the team. He actually plays CF. Reds need to give him some playing time if he’s going to get going at all.

Jankowski is a better player than his RedsZone reputation. Thankfully the Reds see him as potentially useful, and are giving him a chance, despite some dismissive fans.

The Reds signed Shogo and specifically sited his ability to play all the OF spots. How many back-up CF do they need on the active roster? They need a bat.

DocRed

...and a .678 OPS against RHP as well

mhs95_06
08-09-2020, 12:34 PM
once aquino is on the team, which he has been for several games this year, it's bell's decision how much he plays. i'm sure the front office steps in occasionally in regard to playing time for players, but i seriously doubt they told david bell not to play aquino when he's on the team due to injuries to other players, etc.

what is clear to me, to your point, is both the front office and david bell are not fans of aquino. their actions speak this loud and clear.

So if the Reds' brass are not fans of Aquino, they must have been and still trying to trade him. and the fact there has been no trade since the end of last season must mean that other teams must not be much of Aquino fans either to not part with what the Reds want by now. I do think the fact that Aquino has options is a big part of why he is where he is now.

mhs95_06
08-09-2020, 12:37 PM
In fact I think the Reds have probably been trying to trade both Aquino and Senzel and haven't got the offer that they feel is adequate.

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Bobby Nightengale
@nightengalejr
David Bell says Nick Senzel is OK. He will run through things pre-game today and should be in the lineup Tuesday. The hope is Mike Moustakas is back Tuesday. Pedro Strop likely headed to IL. #Reds

malcontent
08-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Colon over Farmer is interesting too. Must be a matchup thing
Agreed, I like Farmer there as well. Dietrich would have been nice to keep as it turns out, too.

Kc61
08-09-2020, 12:45 PM
The Reds signed Shogo and specifically sited his ability to play all the OF spots. How many back-up CF do they need on the active roster? They need a bat.

I conceive of this situation as follow:

1. I don’t see Aquino and Jankowski as competitors. In a six man OF both should be on the roster. They have different skill sets.

2. Aquino’s redundancy is with Phil Ervin. RHH outfielders who hit lefties well and have power. Reds should have traded one. IMO, Aquino should have been retained and should be playing regularly.

3. Having watched both, Shogo is no substitute for Jankowski defensively. Shogo is a bit older. Janko is a guy who can go get them in the OF.

4. If the roster had been reduced to 26, Janko probably would have been gone. There’s only room for so many OFers. But he has skills others don’t, should be part of a 28 man roster, and play occasionally.

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Fantastic to finally get to watch a game that doesn't start after 11pm here...Annoying thing is I have to get up at 5am to drive to Wales for our Covid-19 stay-cation. Hopefully Sonny brings the K's and we wrap this up in a few hours so I can get to bed!

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 12:54 PM
right, i think we were posting at the same time. chances are very high, imo, that both the front office and bell are not fans of aquino. bell gives jankowski more playing time than he gives aquino. he gives ervin more playing time. on and on and on.

I'm pretty sure Bell would have enough weight to demand Aquino on the team if he really wanted him to be there. So I think you're probably right. Not much pressure from the FO to have him and Bell doesn't seem especially keen either.

08-09-2020, 12:59 PM

1. I don’t see Aquino and Jankowski as competitors. In a six man OF both should be on the roster. They have different skill sets.

2. Aquino’s redundancy is with Phil Ervin. RHH outfielders who hit lefties well and have power. Reds should have traded one. IMO, Aquino should have been retained and should be playing regularly.

3. Having watched both, Shogo is no substitute for Jankowski defensively. Shogo is a bit older. Janko is a guy who can go get them in the OF.

4. If the roster had been reduced to 26, Janko probably would have been gone. There’s only room for so many OFers. But he has skills others don’t, should be part of a 28 man roster, and play occasionally.

With a 28 man roster, there is more than one player who is taking a spot that Aquino could have. Lots of chaff.

DocRed
08-09-2020, 01:03 PM
delete

mth123
08-09-2020, 01:05 PM

I'm not a believer in sacrificing talent in the name of fit. At least not when the choice is a third string player at a position. If they had no CF, I wouldn't want Jankowski out there. I'd suffer through with Aquino, Ervin or even Winker out there.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 01:05 PM
John Fay
@johnfayman

From the #Reds: The Reds today placed on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to Thursday, 2B Mike Moutakas (left quad bruise) and recalled from the alternative site RHP Tejay Antone (#70). Antone not expected to be in Milwaukee today

Kc61
08-09-2020, 01:10 PM
With a 28 man roster, there is more than one player who is taking a spot that Aquino could have. Lots of chaff.

I don’t see that. Colon may be expendable but he and Aquino are not substitutes. They play different positions and roles.

Ervin and Aquino provide the same basic skills. One might argue Davidson too, RH bench power, albeit not OF. Those are where the redundancies lie, and Reds made their choice.

I’m a believer that team balance, speed, defense all play roles in winning. Some may disagree and just want lots of sluggers. I can see that, just agree to disagree.

08-09-2020, 01:11 PM
I don’t see that. Colon may be expendable but he and Aquino are not substitutes. They play different positions and roles.

Ervin and Aquino provide the same basic skills. One might argue Davidson too, RH power, albeit not OF. Those are where the redundancies lie, and Reds made their choice.

I’m a believer that team balance, speed, defense all play roles in winning. Some may disagree and just want sluggers. I can see that, just agree to disagree.

Team balance mean little with a 28 man roster.

08-09-2020, 01:13 PM
John Fay
@johnfayman

From the #Reds: The Reds today placed on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to Thursday, 2B Mike Moutakas (left quad bruise) and recalled from the alternative site RHP Tejay Antone (#70). Antone not expected to be in Milwaukee today

Did Aquino kick the Williams’ dog?

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 01:28 PM
C. トレント・ローズクランズ
@ctrent
#Reds upcoming rotation: Castillo, Miley, DeSclafani, Gray, Bauer

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 01:35 PM
They are playing intra squad games at Prasco Park.
We have no idea how Aquino is performing in those games.

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 01:52 PM
Bobby Nightengale
@nightengale
Tyler Mahle is available out of the bullpen. He could be a piggyback candidate behind Miley too.

#Reds rotation following tomorrow's off-day:
Tues. - Luis Castillo
Wed. - Wade Miley
Thurs. - Anthony DeSclafani
Fri. - Sonny Gray
Sat. - Trevor Bauer.

That'll be a couple of extra days between starts for Bauer. Miley will be activated from the IL.

Coopdaddy67
08-09-2020, 01:59 PM
I remember what happened the last time Redszone flipped out over the day's lineup, so I'm optimistic!

ZakkW
08-09-2020, 02:04 PM
Moving Bauer back three days in favor of Wade Miley? What am I missing...did the Reds give a reason/explanation for doing so...

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 02:14 PM
In fact I think the Reds have probably been trying to trade both Aquino and Senzel and haven't got the offer that they feel is adequate.

Senzel is their regular CF, he is not being traded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Griffey012
08-09-2020, 02:14 PM
This is a stupid lineup. Reds Instagram listed Disco as the SP when they posted it so I assumed it must have been an error. Nope, just an awful lineup.

Reds gonna score 8 runs now.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:16 PM
what a great AB from cast.

PuffyPig
Moving Bauer back three days in favor of Wade Miley? What am I missing...did the Reds give a reason/explanation for doing so...

I assume they feel that Bauer needs the additional rest.

He’s thrown a lot of pitches early in the season with little spring training.

I don’t know this, but it so a reasonable implication.

It’s not something that they would likely go public with.

NebraskaRed
nice AB by Castellanos

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 02:17 PM
The Cowboy said Woodruff is one of the best pitchers in the NL

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Castellanos is taking a huge lead

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 02:18 PM
This is a stupid lineup. Reds Instagram listed Disco as the SP when they posted it so I assumed it must have been an error. Nope, just an awful lineup.

Reds gonna score 8 runs now.

Other than Janko, it’s pretty predictable.

But without Janko, the OF defence would be horrendous, and it’s not like the other options are hitting either.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 02:19 PM
If you predicted that Thom would talk about Jeff Keppinger in the first inning of today's game, you're psychic!

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 02:21 PM
Geno Walks

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:21 PM
if nothing else, the reds are really making woodruff work hard. two walks now. up to 21 pitches.

- - - Updated - - -

come on wink

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:25 PM
oh hell yes! 1-0 reds.

TheBigLebowski
Yay Jesse!!!

NebraskaRed
Da Wink!

Ron Madden
RBI Single for Da Wink!!!

Reds
08-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Good job winker

Kilgore_Trout
08-09-2020, 02:26 PM
What a big piece of hitting from Wink. He’s really tuned in.

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Winker RBI single!

There’s your run, Sunny.

NebraskaRed
Woodruff almost up to 30 pitches

Reds
If you predicted that Thom would talk about Jeff Keppinger in the first inning of today's game, you're psychic!

I mean why wouldn't he?

mhs95_06
08-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Although Winker's offerings at Woodruff's first two pitches were not good, his handling of the next three pitches were very good, especially the last one, resulting in a sharp RBI grounder into the open SS hole on a back door breaking ball.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:35 PM
two down.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Yelich off to a very slow start.

There was nothing more than a few rumors about the Brewers stealing signs last year, right?

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 02:38 PM
What in the world is this strike zone...

Ron Madden
WOW! These Umps are bad this season

JFLegal
this is the daily call for automated balls/strikes. my goodness.

Reds
08-09-2020, 02:39 PM
If this ump keeps this strikezone both starters won't last 6 and the game will be 4 hours

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:40 PM
hell yes sonny gray!

Reds
08-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Nice job sonny

Phoenix2
08-09-2020, 02:42 PM
Gonna be a challenging strike zone today

JFLegal
i still can't believe we got sonny gray for shed long plus a sandwich draft pick. what a steal.

and then to immediately sign him to a team-friendly extention. i'm loving all of that.

mhs95_06
With the number of pitches in the 1st inning, this game should turn into a bullpen game sooner than expected, with the Brewers having the advantage with a more rested top end of their bullpen.

Phoenix2
08-09-2020, 02:43 PM
Amir and Iglesias have been great of late. Sure hope they are available today.

- - - Updated - - -

i still can't believe we got sonny gray for shed long plus a sandwich draft pick. what a steal.

and then to immediately sign him to a team-friendly extention. i'm loving all of that.

Oh yea. Can't say enough good things about Gray and the deal.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:48 PM
janko rips a single!

TheBigLebowski
First hit as a Red? Geez

Ron Madden
Jankowski With A Single!

Tom Servo
the rare Jankowski hit

NebraskaRed
Jankowski with a hit in his first place appearance today. Just like we all predicted.

HammerTime
08-09-2020, 02:49 PM
The Cowboy said Woodruff is one of the best pitchers in the NL

He’s not well known but he’s very good.

BCubb2003
Give the ump a break. He’s working from home like the rest of us.

Phoenix2
Agree with Welsh. Steal that base!

Tom Servo
08-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Nice to have Woodruff throw 50 pitches in two innings

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 02:50 PM
50 pitches by the end of the 2nd inning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not good.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:51 PM
50 pitches by the end of the 2nd inning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not good.

i think it's good.

Shogo has a problem this season with the high fastball.

mhs95_06
Both Galvis and Jankowski with bloop liners. One falls and one doesn't. Is it managed chance that the one pulled into the shift doesn't fall?

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:53 PM
Both Galvis and Jankowski with bloop liners. One falls and one doesn't. Is it managed chance that the one pulled into the shift doesn't fall?

"bloop liners" are not a thing, man. if it's a bloop, it can't be a liner. and vice versa.

M2
08-09-2020, 02:53 PM
For anyone scratching their heads over some LHBs in today's game, for his career Brandon Woodruff allows a .587 OPS vs. RHBs and a .732 OPS vs. LHBs. Maybe know/look up basic information rather than lodge the laziest possible complaint.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:54 PM
sonny sends smoak back to the bench with some smoke.

M2
08-09-2020, 02:54 PM

Or it's great depending on which team you're rooting for.

Tom Servo
08-09-2020, 02:55 PM
I realized the other day that even though I’ve been aware of him for 1 years and definitely watched him play before that I had no memory of what Justin Smoak actually looks like.

M2
08-09-2020, 02:56 PM
I realized the other day that even though I’ve been aware of him for 1 years and definitely watched him play before that I had no memory of what Justin Smoak actually looks like.

I'm still not sure he and Logan Morrison aren't the same person.

adkindo
08-09-2020, 02:57 PM
they were talking about Jankowski's stolen bases one season in the minor leagues....made me think of one of the craziest stats I recall was as a Senior @ Fremont High, Eric Davis stole 50 bases in 15 games!

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:58 PM
sonny with another K. two down.

malcontent
08-09-2020, 02:58 PM
Shogo now has 14 Ks in 44 PA. Could be overmatched, possibly pressing.

Gray, OTOH looks like the steal of the decade.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 02:59 PM
3 up, 3 down.

Roy Tucker
08-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Gray is cruising. Good AB by Holt, but Sonny caught him looking on a fastball right down the pipe. Holt talked to himself all the way back to the dugout.

Reds
08-09-2020, 03:01 PM
Just throwing it out there if anyone from Lars lean beef is on this message board over the last several seasons I've come up with several commercials for you guys after hearing marty advertise for them non stop. Most of the go like this

Dad calls son to eat dinner
Son asks "dad is this lars lean?"
Dad "why yes it is son"
Son [insert random expletive] dad Lars lean did it again!

Roy Tucker
08-09-2020, 03:01 PM
Shadow line between the pitchers mound and home plate. Not good hitting light.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 03:03 PM
"bloop liners" are not a thing, man. if it's a bloop, it can't be a liner. and vice versa.

What if it's a "straight up in the air bloop liner"?

mhs95_06

How about humpback liners, either way they were virtually the same as each other. Where can I see the exit velocities?

EnglishRed
someone on the infills on the Brewers broadcast just said Miller Lite is the champagne of beers and I'm now done with baseball and America....

Reds
08-09-2020, 03:05 PM
someone on the infills on the Brewers broadcast just said Miller Lite is the champagne of beers and I'm now done with baseball and America....

Miller high life is the champagne of beers!

JaxRed
08-09-2020, 03:07 PM
Miller High Life has called itself the Champagne of Beers for about 50 years.

M2
08-09-2020, 03:07 PM

They've been saying that for roughly 100 years (about High Life). I've always considered it a knock against champagne.

Ron Madden
08-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Miller High Life has called itself the Champagne of Beers for about 5 years.

I think it's been a lot longer than that

JaxRed
08-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Edited it. Was supposed to be a 50!!. But M2 doubled down on that number !!!

Roy Tucker
08-09-2020, 03:11 PM
I can’t remember the last time I had a Miller beer. I’ve gotten spoiled by Cincinnati beers.

adkindo
08-09-2020, 03:11 PM

yeah, they marketed with that tag since it's inception in early 20th century....seems like once or twice a decade they will focus on it with a set of commercials

M2
08-09-2020, 03:12 PM

All right, in-game sub-topic:

What's the best crap beer?

My vote is for "Gansett -

https://products1.imgix.drizly.com/ci-narragansett-lager-b109a0ba2bedfc7c.png

EnglishRed
Miller High Life has called itself the Champagne of Beers for about 50 years.

I guess your false advertising laws are not as strict as ours..:D

JFLegal
What if it's a "straight up in the air bloop liner"?

oooohhhh doctor!

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 03:13 PM
sogard grounds out. two quick outs for sonny G

JaxRed
08-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Caveat Emptor

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 03:15 PM
I can’t remember the last time I had a Miller beer. I’ve gotten spoiled by Cincinnati beers.

Looking forward to trying a few of them if I can convince my wife that Cincinnati is a fantastic holiday destination to spend thousands of pounds getting to, and it's obviously a total coincidence that it's baseball season In fact I'd totally forgotten it was baseball season and the Reds are at home..If all else fails I'll take her to Skyline Chilli to cheer her up! If she asks any of you Cincinnati is famous for it's palm beaches and beautiful sunsets.

M2
08-09-2020, 03:16 PM

It's also been billed as "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous," prompting the question of "What's Milwaukee?"

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 03:16 PM
tie game, dammit.

- - - Updated - - -

JFC

Phoenix2
08-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Ugh. The lion awakens.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Castellanos looked more than a little slow there.

M2
08-09-2020, 03:18 PM
Castellanos looked more than a little slow there.

He's a terrible, awful fielder.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 03:18 PM
where did the 1-1 pitch miss? WTF?

- - - Updated - - -

clownpires missing balls/strikes as usual. shocking.

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 03:19 PM
That curve looked like a strike to me.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 03:21 PM
hahah. and the make-up call for strike 3.

1-1 headed to the 4th.

Phoenix2
08-09-2020, 03:22 PM
Gonna get way too much bullpen this game.

M2
08-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Sonny's pitch count is already at 64. Doubt he lasts much beyond 5 today. This game will get to the bullpens relatively early.

JaxRed
The relay throw (Votto?) was a little lame also.

PuffyPig
Sonny Gray was owed a strike, a good time to collect on that debt.

M2
Gonna get way too much bullpen this game.

Beat me to it.

TheBigLebowski
08-09-2020, 03:24 PM
We’re probably going to see 3-4 innings from our pen.

Goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway - we need loads of runs.

Reds

Fosters green label is good for cheap. Honestly Miller does make the best low calorie beer. Genesee cream ale is decent for really cheap.

mhs95_06
Nine pitch AB and each got the benefit of an improper call once, with the final pitch being the most egregious and consequential. Gray's complaining paid dividends, on both the next pitch(called correctly) and the last pitch!

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 03:25 PM
wink big fly!

Reds
Gooone

The Operator
Winker!!!!

2-1 good guys!

JaxRed
It's also been billed as "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous," prompting the question of "What's Milwaukee?"

Had to fact check you. That was Schlitz.

NebraskaRed
DA WINK

Phoenix2
Winker!!! Yes!

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Winker’s stats starting to creep closer to the back of his baseball card.

TheBigLebowski
YAHHHHH

NebraskaRed
Did Thom say "in the wink of an eye"?

EnglishRed
Winker solos! Back in front.

Alabama Red
Thom needs to quit all the da wink stuff. It’s not funny or entertaining.

Reds
08-09-2020, 03:27 PM
Thom needs to quit all the da wink stuff. It’s not funny or entertaining.

If thom was here to entertain us he would have been fired years ago.

The Operator
On a side note, is this not one of the worst strike zones we’ve seen in quite some time?

This guy is awful.

EnglishRed

reds77
08-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Thom with a random, anecdotal Andre Either story.

Chris with the obligatory, "That's amazing."

malcontent
08-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Colon is not the answer. Pops out on ball 4.

M2
08-09-2020, 03:29 PM
Hey Jesse.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70hu6wHHA1rolu5q.gif

Alabama Red
If thom was here to entertain us he would have been fired years ago.
Well, I can’t argue with you on that.

The Operator
Colon is not the answer.

Bartolo hits for more power

WrongVerb
Watching Cristian bat hurts my Colon

Tom Servo
That's a cute story by Thom but Ethier was notoriously putrid against LHP lol

The Operator
08-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Good grief this umpire

Awful awful awful

Reds
Thom with a random, anecdotal Andre Either story.

Chris with the obligatory, "That's amazing."

Yeah there's moments like that when I imagine chris took a bathroom break and thom talks to himself for 2 minutes then chris gets back with a generic response

JFLegal
amazingly bad by this home plate ump. even for MLB standards.

how can anyone defend this? how can anyone argue against automated balls/strikes?

mhs95_06
Payback to Tucker for the call on Morrison to end the inning.

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Plate umpire is an absolute joke tonight.

Reds
08-09-2020, 03:31 PM
amazingly bad by this home plate ump. even for MLB standards.

how can anyone defend this? how can anyone argue against automated balls/strikes?

I believe this umpire was called up to start this season because some umpires took 2020 off. Could be wrong though.

TheBigLebowski
08-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Is this Angel Hernandez?

NebraskaRed
Umpire is just flat out guessing with each pitch.

EnglishRed
Good grief this umpire

Awful awful awful

Come on guys be nice. It's great that they've allowed the blind to get into working in baseball.

The Operator
I got into a long Facebook debate a few nights ago against an old high school teammate over automated balls and strikes.

He eventually wound up saying “it’s up to the players to adjust to the strike zone.”

How an earth does a player adjust to a zone like this? There’s no consistency, it’s all over the place.

JFLegal
I believe this umpire was called up to start this season because some umpires took 2020 off. Could be wrong though.

yeah, but let's not act like this is an outlier. he fits in perfectly with his new peers.

malcontent
Bartolo hits for more power
All I can say is with Moustakas out they better be talking to DD.

M2

I believe the first five Motorhead albums featured specific thanks to Carling's Black Label.

JaxRed
Umpires name is Bacchus. Maybe he's drunk.

Reds
08-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Well this could benefit our bullpen if he calls pitches a foot off the plate as strikes.

JaxRed

DD is ineligble for Reds this year.

JFLegal
24 more pitches for woodruff that inning. up to 91 through 4. reds lead 2-1.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 03:34 PM
C. トレント・ローズクランズ
@ctrent

Good stuff from Tommy Thrall on
@RedsRadioBooth
-- "It's tough to say it's a good take on a day like today. It's a coin flip"

JaxRed
08-09-2020, 03:35 PM

But I wonder if Scooter has sent them an email........

Tom Servo
08-09-2020, 03:35 PM
it was a nice few weeks but you've gotta move on man

- - - Updated - - -

lol what the heck was that "the elites look down on Wisconsin" line from Thom

The Operator
08-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Omg did Thom seriously just talk about “the elites on the coasts”

For the love of god

JaxRed
08-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Miller Park. The Champagne of domed stadiums....

Alabama Red
08-09-2020, 03:37 PM
I’d stick Farmer in there every game and see how he does.

Phoenix2
I like Nate Jones for two innings.

EnglishRed
Could do with a quick inning here Sonny.

NebraskaRed
If Gray pretended to throw the ball and Barnhart pretended to catch it, I'd say you have a 50% chance the ump would call it a strike.

M2

More like Jim Backus.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z4alZl8V1cmHK/giphy.gif

mth123
08-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Or he's Mr. Magoo

Reds
08-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Talking about ribs and beer on the radio broadcast. Man do I love our radio crew

malcontent
08-09-2020, 03:40 PM
The players' association is all over everything else, why did they consent to limit players' options?

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Castellanos looks like he's running through treacle tonight. I know he's not known for his fielding but he fields like me after a heavy night out.

Phoenix2
Barnhart is terrible. :)

mth123
More like Jim Backus.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z4alZl8V1cmHK/giphy.gif

You type faster than me.

mhs95_06
08-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Pretty ragged pitching and defense the last two batters.

Reds
Big ab to sogard here

NebraskaRed
Danger...danger...

malcontent
08-09-2020, 03:44 PM
How did he get hit by that? Gameday showed it 6 inches inside?

PuffyPig
What looked like a pretty quick inning has turned out to be a potential game on the line batter.

Roy Tucker
Talking about ribs and beer on the radio broadcast. Man do I love our radio crew

That’s my Sunday grilling menu today. Rack is going on shortly

JFLegal
way to get out of that jam, sonny G!

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Whew

PuffyPig
Whew!!!

Reds
:)

M2
Danger...danger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc&list=PL690B57C6DFC166B8&index=11&t=0s&app=desktop

EnglishRed
I've always wondered...what do the pitching coaches say when they come out like that? is it basically "Stop being rubbish please son we want to keep winning"?

Falls City Beer
Sonny Gray reminds of a rh Pete Schourek. He’ll throw any pitch in any count.

Roy Tucker
How did he get hit by that? Gameday showed it 6 inches inside?

He left his elbow hanging out but I don’t think he meant to caught it right on the inside bone knob. Ouch.

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 03:46 PM
That’s my Sunday grilling menu today. Rack is going on shortly

Nothing like a good rack on a lazy Sunday.

JaxRed
08-09-2020, 03:47 PM
I would not change lineup against the lefty. It'll be back to righty soon.

RedlegsFanatic
Thom.... “Will we see Sonny in the 5th?”

Everyone else.... “Are u kidding me? I’d rather have Gray on the hill, on his worst day, after 110 pitches, etc, than ANY guy in the Reds pen on their best day of their career right now lol”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix2
2 runs is not going to win this game. Gonna have to beat up their bullpen more than they beat up ours.

Nothing like a good rack on a lazy Sunday.

Front Row Amy is with you watching the game?

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 03:49 PM
shogo rips a single.

Tom Servo
nice hit for Shogo off the lefty

I hope David Bell noticed that Shogo got a hit off a lefty.

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 03:50 PM
I would not change lineup against the lefty. It'll be back to righty soon.

Especially since the existing lineup is a good defensive one.

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 03:50 PM
Shogo single.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Brock Holt is a "nice little player" according to Thom

Phoenix2
08-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Votto wearing out LF

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Umpire calls a ball in exactly the same place the strike he called before was...Great job.

Coopdaddy67
08-09-2020, 03:54 PM
This umpire is doing a better job keeping hitters guessing than the opposing pitchers.

NebraskaRed
Is Votto stuck in some sort of time loop? That was basically the same pop up for the third time.

TheBigLebowski
Votto was good those first couple of games. Been pretty awful since.

Tom Servo
They could obviously win this one on the back of one of these guys but still it seems hard to figure out what exactly the Brewers were doing this offseason. I like the Avisail Garcia signing and maybe Josh Lindblom can be a sneaky good addition but otherwise they just added a bunch of average or below average players (Holt, Smoak, Morrison, Gyroko) and did nothing else. Weird strategy coming off an 89 win season and playoff appearance when you've got prime Yelich and some other good pieces.

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 03:55 PM
I hope David Bell noticed that Shogo got a hit off a lefty.

It was his first hit if the year off a lefty, although he was only 0 -4 with 3 K’s.

Of course, they have the advantage of seeing how he fares in batting practice etc. vs. Lefties, but he hasn’t looked that comfortable so far this year until his last AB.

Roy Tucker
08-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Looking forward to trying a few of them if I can convince my wife that Cincinnati is a fantastic holiday destination to spend thousands of pounds getting to, and it's obviously a total coincidence that it's baseball season In fact I'd totally forgotten it was baseball season and the Reds are at home..If all else fails I'll take her to Skyline Chilli to cheer her up! If she asks any of you Cincinnati is famous for it's palm beaches and beautiful sunsets.

Rhinegeist, Mad Tree, 50 West, Braxton, and Taft’s is a representative sample of good beers.

Sonder, March First, and Fretboard up around me.

Falls City Beer
08-09-2020, 03:56 PM
They could obviously win this one on the back of one of these guys but still it seems hard to figure out what exactly the Brewers were doing this offseason. I like the Avisail Garcia signing and maybe Josh Lindblom can be a sneaky good addition but otherwise they just added a bunch of average or below average players (Holt, Smoak, Morrison, Gyroko) and did nothing else. Weird strategy coming off an 89 win season and playoff appearance when you've got prime Yelich and some other good pieces.

Yeah it really was a snooze-fest for them. Especially given Braun’s age.

JaxRed
08-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Can Bell so somewhere other than Garrett/Lorenzen/Iglesias?

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 03:59 PM

Maybe Jones.

JFLegal
08-09-2020, 04:00 PM
sonny hums that fastball by morrison for strike 3.

The Operator
Big K against Morrison

2 down

EnglishRed
Lorenzen warming up....

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 04:01 PM

I’m guessing they had little money to spend, but just speculating.

mhs95_06
Morrison with the same bat flip he did last time up when the ump made the bad call on the ball up.

The Operator
K!

Nice 5th inning for Sonny, walk to Yelich aside...

JFLegal
sonny G! 7 Ks. headed to the 6th, 2-1 reds.

Tom Servo
great battling by Sonny today

Phoenix2
08-09-2020, 04:02 PM
Sonny's least impressive performance of the season and he still goes 5 and gives up only 1.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 04:02 PM

Davidson

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 04:03 PM
Sonny's least impressive performance of the season and he still goes 5 and gives up only 1.

And only 3 hits with 7 K’s.

NebraskaRed
08-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Nice hit by Geno

PuffyPig
08-09-2020, 04:07 PM
Nice hit by Geno

Thom didn’t seem to believe it for some reason.

The Operator
08-09-2020, 04:08 PM
Oh he was safe

Tom Servo
he's safe

NebraskaRed
They better review this

Reds
Nice hustle

NebraskaRed
Thom didn’t seem to believe it for some reason.

That can happen when you're not really paying attention to the game.

EnglishRed
08-09-2020, 04:09 PM
clearly safe.

The Operator
Thom just loves guys like Christian Colon

mhs95_06
Nice baserunning for Geno to get to 3rd with one out.

Tom Servo
I like Brock Holt's mustache.

RiverRat13
Is Gob, I mean Thom, Brock Holt's dad?

Reds
Sac fly time for tucker plz