SP Kwang Hyun Kim (L)

I will post the Cardinals lineup when it becomes available

Matt Davidson batting 3rd, really?

Ron Madden
08-22-2020, 04:10 PM
The Cardinals lineup has been added to the original post

DocRed
08-22-2020, 04:14 PM
No Moose does seem odd....let's hope he's not feeling his quad again.

Ron Madden
08-22-2020, 04:28 PM
No Moose does seem odd....let's hope he's not feeling his quad again.

Me too.

He did get HBP last night maybe that's it.

mth123
08-22-2020, 04:31 PM

Of all the things going on in that line-up, that's one of the least of the issues. Votto leading off against LHP. No Moose. Phillip freaking Ervin hitting 5th and playing CF. This might be the worst line-up of the year and neither Jankowski or Van Meter are even in it to drag it down.

Mitri
08-22-2020, 04:43 PM
It'd be nice if one of the beat reporters actually did their job and asked the Reds why Aquino is not on the team and in the middle of the lineup in a game like today. And Tyler Stephenson for that matter, though they are more likely to barf out verbal gymnastics about how much they like their veteran catching duo in relation to him.

UPRedsFan
08-22-2020, 04:52 PM
Of all the things going on in that line-up, that's one of the least of the issues. Votto leading off against LHP. No Moose. Phillip freaking Ervin hitting 5th and playing CF. This might be the worst line-up of the year and neither Jankowski or Van Meter are even in it to drag it down.

Are you going to play Shogo in CF against a left handed starter?

DocRed
08-22-2020, 05:03 PM
It'd be nice if one of the beat reporters actually did their job and asked the Reds why Aquino is not on the team and in the middle of the lineup in a game like today. And Tyler Stephenson for that matter, though they are more likely to barf out verbal gymnastics about how much they like their veteran catching duo in relation to him.

I think they are all still scared from the BP beatdown

mth123
08-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Are you going to play Shogo in CF against a left handed starter?

No, but Ervin is an awful option. I'd play Aquino in CF. He'd be better on both offense and defense. Even if they are stuck with Ervin, he wouldn't hit 5th.

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2020, 05:18 PM
Wait - we booted VanMeter for Payton? Huh? Did Aquino sleep with someone’s wife?

UPRedsFan
08-22-2020, 05:19 PM
There's got to be a reason Aquino isn't being used that way. They must be seeing some continued flaw in his development. They're probably watching him chase breaking balls out of the zone still. teams will know how to get him out in the big leagues.

JaxRed
08-22-2020, 05:30 PM
I think Ervin is getting his last shot shot here. Winker is hitting lefties better than he is, Davidson has replaced him as best RH DH/PH, and when Senzel come back we will have 3 guys to play CF (Senzel, Shogo or Payton).

He needs big game.

adkindo
08-22-2020, 05:31 PM
There's got to be a reason Aquino isn't being used that way. They must be seeing some continued flaw in his development. They're probably watching him chase breaking balls out of the zone still. teams will know how to get him out in the big leagues.

eh, bring him up and I will decide. These are the same guys that kept putting VanMeter in the lineup to DH among many other flawed decisions in my opinion....so i am not about trusting the organization as of today.

mth123
08-22-2020, 05:32 PM

I agree with the idea, but its over-analysis. Aquino came up and hit. These other guys may seem better in theory, but they simply aren't. Aquino is a better choice as a corner OF than Jankowski defensively. He's almost as fast. He has the upside to provide a spark that carries the team. He did it last year. He had more success in one month than all these other guys have had in their entire careers. Maybe its time to stop judging these guys by their method and start looking at results.

I don't see what there is to lose. The risk he won't hit? The guys they have can't hit. What's the difference?

adkindo
08-22-2020, 05:32 PM

hitting .286 with an 1.110 OPS....is there a better option?

mth123
08-22-2020, 05:33 PM
I think Ervin is getting his last shot shot here. Winker is hitting lefties better than he is, Davidson has replaced him as best RH DH/PH, and when Senzel come back we will have 3 guys to play CF (Senzel, Shogo or Payton).

He needs big game.

Ervin's lack of options are why he's still here. It's the only reason I can see.

TexasRedsFan
08-22-2020, 05:33 PM
Bell's lineups often puzzle me the same way that Dusty's did. Kyle Farmer won't ever win an MVP, but he's a solid player who's come up with some big hits for this team at times. I'd trust him over probably half of the other guys in the lineup right now. Why bury him in the 9th spot and give more at-bats to Curt Casali? IMO, the current catching duo for the Reds should never hit higher than 9th. Oh well, hopefully some of the slumping guys come to life starting tonight so the team can get some kind of momentum going.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 05:59 PM
Ervin's lack of options are why he's still here. It's the only reason I can see.

that and he's a former first-round pick. they tend to get a lot of rope. if ervin had been a 10th rounder, doubt he would be in MLB right now.

Ron Madden
08-22-2020, 06:01 PM
Bobby Nightengale
@nightengalejr
David Bell said Mark Payton will receive some starts in LF. With Winker at DH, that fills VanMeter's ABs vs. RHP. #Reds

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 06:13 PM
noticed a lot of criticism of casali lately. doesn't he have 3 home runs on the season, in very few at-bats? he's actually better than i would expect for a usual backup catcher. it's just our starting catcher isn't good.

Kc61
08-22-2020, 06:28 PM
Aquino isnít even on the taxi squad. The Reds obviously donít think heís ready to help. Iíd like to see him, but they clearly donít see him in the picture right now.

Wonderful Monds
08-22-2020, 07:05 PM

Iím starting to wonder if itís a service time thing? Otherwise I really do not understand at all.

Ron Madden
08-22-2020, 07:06 PM
Bobby Nightengale
@nightengalejr
Trevor Bauer will start on Monday vs. Brewers; Luis Castillo on Tuesday. #Reds

UPRedsFan
08-22-2020, 07:14 PM

He needs big game.

Does Jankowski have options? I think heíd go down before Ervin

mth123
08-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Does Jankowski have options? I think he’d go down before Ervin

Jankowski doesn't have options either. The Reds are obsessed with hanging on to these fringe, at best, interchangeable parts instead of playing the better player. It shows.

DocRed
08-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Jankowski doesn't have options either. The Reds are obsessed with hanging on to these fringe, at best, interchangeable parts instead of playing the better player. It shows.

He needs to be DFA'd. Lorenzen can pinch run if need be and also play CF. Heck Lorenzen hits better than him too.

mth123
08-22-2020, 07:25 PM
He needs to be DFA'd. Lorenzen can pinch run if need be and also play CF. Heck Lorenzen hits better than him too.

Completely agree. Been saying it for a while. If Lorenzen isn't available because they need him to pitch, Castillo or Gray can PR as well. Pitchers run all the time. They can do it.

JaxRed
08-22-2020, 07:25 PM
Except Jankowski is a lefty and his role is speed guy and defense. We'll see. But looks like Ervin to me.

I believe Jankowski has an option.

mth123
08-22-2020, 07:31 PM
Except Jankowski is a lefty and his role is speed guy and defense. We'll see. But looks like Ervin to me.

I'm fine with being rid of both.

If he has an option, and I thought he didn't, then he can sit on the practice squad as insurance CF and the fact he hasn't is malpractice. Too many guys who suck in the big leagues this year. I hate the 28 man roster.

DocRed
08-22-2020, 07:32 PM

When you can't even hit .200 I don't think it really matters from what side of the plate you hit.

Mitri
08-22-2020, 07:38 PM
I’m starting to wonder if it’s a service time thing? Otherwise I really do not understand at all.

Pretty sure it's a bad front-office thing. That's where I've landed.

RedlegsFanatic
08-22-2020, 07:38 PM
This is so ridiculous. Even if Aquino struggled hard, he would still put up better numbers than freakin Van Meter, Jokewiski, and Farmer all 3 COMBINED. Sitting Moose just because a lefty is on the hill? Omg these games are worth a normal 2.7 games. If he isn’t hurting, and hurting pretty bad, he needs to play. I’d rather have my 8 year old niece manage the Reds instead of David Bell.

Mitri
08-22-2020, 07:41 PM
I'm fine with being rid of both.

If he has an option, and I thought he didn't, then he can sit on teh practice squad as insurance CF and the fact he hasn't is malpractice. Too many guys who suck in the big leagues this year. I hate the 28 man roster.

Man so do I. 26 is plenty, Covid or no-Covid. It's especially noticeable when you follow a team with a bad bench and a FO who are conservative to a fault.

RedlegsFanatic
08-22-2020, 07:43 PM
Aquino isnít even on the taxi squad. The Reds obviously donít think heís ready to help. Iíd like to see him, but they clearly donít see him in the picture right now.

Dude hit like 137 home runs in 25 games vs big league pitching.
He should have been the starting left fielder or DH from day 1.
The management of this team has no clue. I wonder how they got their jobs.

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2020, 07:43 PM
Ervin’s numbers from last year should tell people that deserves a spot with a condensed and unreliable ST. I know when people don’t like a player it’s pretty much nothing they can do to change their mind. He’s struggling just like pretty much everyone on this team except Winker and has been a slower starter and every level of every season since he arrived at Double A.
There’s a difference between his struggles then Van Meter or Jankowski.

Ron Madden
08-22-2020, 07:47 PM
Good Lord, this place has gotten worse than the old Sundeck and getting as bad as the the old MLB message boards.

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2020, 07:48 PM
Pretty sure it's a bad front-office thing. That's where I've landed.

Unless it was an attitude or work ethic issue the only thing I have is he can only play RF?

Jomama
08-22-2020, 07:55 PM
Good Lord, this place has gotten worse than the old Sundeck and getting as bad as the the old MLB message boards.

Because we aren't blindly cheering for every idiotic move Reds management makes? It's a recipe for mediocrity and it is getting very, very old.

DocRed
08-22-2020, 07:57 PM
Why are teams like the Cards sticking with the old 7:15 pm game times when there are no fans? Especially on the weekends...drives an old man like me that needs his sleep nuts.

DocRed
08-22-2020, 07:58 PM
Because we aren't blindly cheering for every idiotic move Reds management makes? It's a recipe for mediocrity and it is getting very, very old.

Wow, first post ever in 19 some months! What drove you out of the shadows lol? Don't let #2 take as along! :)

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2020, 08:01 PM
Why are teams like the Cards sticking with the old 7:15 pm game times when there are no fans? Especially on the weekends...drives an old man like me that needs his sleep nuts.

I wish they would play more day games during this season. Makes no sense.

DocRed
08-22-2020, 08:04 PM
Moose just a day of rest per Bell...that's good. I wonder if he can PH?

DocRed
08-22-2020, 08:05 PM
Let's hope Wade Miley can follow Derek Holland's lead and have his first good start of the year.

EnglishRed
08-22-2020, 08:07 PM
Well I'm glad Jesse Winker is fit after rolling his ankle. Any news on Moustakas?

Mitri
08-22-2020, 08:07 PM
Ervin’s numbers from last year should tell people that deserves a spot with a condensed and unreliable ST. I know when people don’t like a player it’s pretty much nothing they can do to change their mind. He’s struggling just like pretty much everyone on this team except Winker and has been a slower starter and every level of every season since he arrived at Double A.
There’s a difference between his struggles then Van Meter or Jankowski.

Saying Ervin is a better option than Jankowski isn't saying much. They all are not really MLB starters. Ervin is a solid bench guy on a 2nd division team. He hasn't really proven anything other than hitting lefties in 100 abs over a few seasons. He can take a walk and hit a few out. His defense is questionable in every spot. He is in no way a better roll of the dice than Aquino, any way you choose to cut it.

08-22-2020, 08:21 PM
Jim Day is already annoying me with his attempt at humorous voices.

malcontent
08-22-2020, 08:21 PM
Bell will be out of a job before he ever drops Votto in the lineup, even against LH starters. His choice.

EnglishRed
08-22-2020, 08:22 PM
Matt Davidson without a batting helmet on looks like he'd be a barista in a hipster coffee shop
Matt Davidson with a batting helmet on looks like he'd walk into a log cabin, drop a couple of dead rabbits on the table before heading out to chop wood...

adkindo
08-22-2020, 08:25 PM
Miley closing in on his pitch count limits....

Coopdaddy67
08-22-2020, 08:28 PM
Bell will be out of a job before he ever drops Votto in the lineup, even against LH starters. His choice.

He's 3rd on the team in OBP behind Winker and Moustakas.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 08:29 PM
Nice to see Miley with a pretty easy inning. When he's good he'll give up some hits, but not a ton of walks and almost no HRs.

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2020, 08:31 PM
This kind of pitcher always gives the Reds fits.

EnglishRed
08-22-2020, 08:37 PM
This kind of pitcher always gives the Reds fits.

To my untrained eye it seems like we're constantly looking for heaters, even though this guy has 4 or 5 pitches.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 08:41 PM
Didn't do any damage that inning but it's pretty annoying that the corpses of Carpenter and Molina continue to hurt us even if the rest of the league can get these old vets out.

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2020, 08:41 PM
Well, pace of play won’t be an issue today. Game will last 38 minutes at this pace.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 08:45 PM
A hit! Thank you Farm Dog.

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2020, 08:46 PM
Farmer is so useful.

Kc61
08-22-2020, 08:46 PM
Reds got a hit. Be still my heart.

The Mendoza line is not supposed to be a team concern.

Red Raindog
08-22-2020, 08:48 PM
And Votto kís again

Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

reds77
08-22-2020, 08:51 PM
Farmer is one heck of a role player. I like this dude.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 08:54 PM
Bader is fast

Kc61
Since defense doesnít matter, I guess the Cards donít really have a man on second.

Make that first and third.

Brutal defensive team.

Tom Servo
BABIP is a *****

Dumb decisions on D too

onehand
08-22-2020, 08:55 PM
Defense is hard to watch...

reds77
Bloops favoring the Cards.

ZakkW
Good grief, two guys in scoring position thanks to two bloopers and dumb defense

adkindo
that is why Winker should be a DH....and average speed LF'er gets that

Kc61
BABIP is a *****

Some speed in the outfield might help too.

Those are the ones that go as base hits, but indicate a bad defensive outfield.

And prolongs the inning for the pitcher.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 08:56 PM
Brutal.

Tony Cloninger
Saying Ervin is a better option than Jankowski isn't saying much. They all are not really MLB starters. Ervin is a solid bench guy on a 2nd division team. He hasn't really proven anything other than hitting lefties in 100 abs over a few seasons. He can take a walk and hit a few out. His defense is questionable in every spot. He is in no way a better roll of the dice than Aquino, any way you choose to cut it.

To be fair. I never said over Aquino.

reds77
Blah 2-0 Cards.

EnglishRed
08-22-2020, 08:57 PM
Our fielding on these has been rubbish all season. Not sure why Castellanos didn't call off Votto because both of them held up. Winker should have had that 2nd one. Shooting ourselves in the foot again.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 08:58 PM
Some speed in the outfield might help too.

Those are the ones that go as base hits, but indicate a bad defensive outfield.

And prolongs the inning for the pitcher.
Not letting them off the hook, better OFs definitely have a better shot at them, but that's just the game sometimes. More annoyed with how they played them after falling in.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 08:59 PM
miley was a garbage signing, and we're stuck with him for another year at $8M

Patrick Bateman
08-22-2020, 08:59 PM
Miley not the guy you want on the mound with poor defense behind him with all the balls in play. Thrown the ball well this inning and getting crap results.

Would have been a good time to rest votto, play wink or Davidson at first, and have a better defender out there... a game where Aquino would have theoretically helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:00 PM
great play geno! DP.

Rolando
08-22-2020, 09:01 PM

How is it Miley's fault that winker is a clown on defense

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Not letting them off the hook, better OFs definitely have a better shot at them, but that's just the game sometimes. More annoyed with how they played them after falling in.

I see that, sure, but both of those were catchable balls.

onehand

Situational defense is certainly not something that the Reds (or probably any other MLB team) practice. I suppose they are expected to retain what they were taught back in 14 year old travel ball, which is probably the last time it was taught.

mth123
Brantley blamed that first hit on Votto. Said he's never caught a ball like that and ran Castellanos off the play and shouldn't have even been out there. I have no video, so I don't know.

Tom Servo
Okay.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:03 PM
How is it Miley's fault that winker is a clown on defense

true, but miley has been shaky in all 3 of his starts so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay.

bacon tastes good.

Rolando
08-22-2020, 09:04 PM
true, but miley has been shaky in all 3 of his starts so far.

Tonight he's been fine and should be 0 to 0. The Reds have from the lazy defenders

EnglishRed
Brantley blamed that first hit on Votto. Said he's never caught a ball like that and ran Castellanos off the play and shouldn't have even been out there. I have no video, so I don't know.

Castellanos was certainly best positioned to catch it, he held up short as Votto was charging in to try and take it over his shoulder. Both seemed to slow up. For me it's on Cast because he should have called Votto off and charged it.

JaxRed
He said Votto ran out there and then never attempted the catch. Just got in the way. And he was right.

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:05 PM
i could live with a bad defensive team, but not one hits this poorly.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:05 PM
reds getting a lot of hard-hit balls against this korean dude, but the cardinals' defensive positioning is amazingly good.

there's been at least 5 times i thought for sure it was a hit off the bat, and it was a laser right at someone.

Rolando
08-22-2020, 09:06 PM
He said Votto ran out there and then never attempted the catch. Just got in the way. And he was right.

Castellos certainly did not give any effort to really try to catch it

Wonderful Monds
08-22-2020, 09:06 PM
This team desperately needs to start hitting. Come on, man.

EnglishRed
08-22-2020, 09:08 PM
This game is 2-0 because of bad luck and poor fielding. Miley has been fine. Our hits haven't beaten the infield when they might do on another day. The cards have had a few that were easier to field than some of ours that haven't got guys on base. Way it goes sometimes.

Tom Servo
This team desperately needs to start hitting. Come on, man.
Fire Turner Ward!! :help:

Rolando
reds getting a lot of hard-hit balls against this korean dude, but the cardinals' defensive positioning is amazingly good.

there's been at least 5 times i thought for sure it was a hit off the bat, and it was a laser right at someone.

I wonder who does the positioning for the Reds because who ever does it does and awful job

Bunting Bad
With Senzel out and Akiyama basically a platoon player the outfield defense is terrible. I am not sure why the Reds signed Akiyama for 3 years at 21 million.

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:09 PM

They don’t hit to the opposite field. Reds are 26th in MLB in that area. If you use the whole field you tend to get more base hits. The fielders aren’t playing right there.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:10 PM
miley just doesn't miss enough bats. you put the ball in play, bad luck can happen (hence BABIP being such a volatile, random statistic).

as i type that, he strikes out carpenter for the second time tonight. lmao!

Rolando
08-22-2020, 09:10 PM
Fire Turner Ward!! :help:
Are you saying maybe it wasn't Turner wards fault last year LOL. I agree

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:11 PM
miley just doesn't miss enough bats. you put the ball in play, bad luck can happen (hence BABIP being such a volatile, random statistic).

as i type that, he strikes out carpenter for the second time tonight. lmao!

Miley is entitled to expect short fly balls to be caught. BABIP is not an excuse on catchable balls not played.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:11 PM
They don’t hit to the opposite field. Reds are 26th in MLB in that area. If you use the whole field you tend to get more base hits. The fielders aren’t playing right there.

this is a great point, kc. never thought i would see the day when teams would put the shift on votto. he used to be the ultimate "hit to all fields" guy. now even he's predictable. not picking on joey, because very few (if any) batters on this team hit to all fields well.

- - - Updated - - -

Miley is entitled to expect short fly balls to be caught. BABIP is not an excuse on catchable balls not played.

i agree.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:12 PM
I wonder who does the positioning for the Reds because who ever does it does and awful job

i know! doesn't it always seem like the other team has a leg up on the reds when it comes to defensive positioning?

Wonderful Monds
08-22-2020, 09:14 PM
Miley has only given up 2 runs in almost 5 innings. That’s a good start, you can win that game.
The lineup has mustered what, 1 hit? How is that Miley’s fault?

They just have to start hitting, period.

Bunting Bad
I blame Bell

mgbrown66
I dig this Miley guy. He can pitch a whole game while I eat a big sandwich.

Coopdaddy67
Miley has only given up 2 runs in almost 5 innings. That’s a good start, you can win that game.

It's not and poor defense is the main reason he gave up those runs in the first place.

JFLegal
yes, i got frustrated. this has been a good start for miley.

don't like him overall, but tonight he's been good. no question.

mth123
08-22-2020, 09:16 PM
this is a great point, kc. never thought i would see the day when teams would put the shift on votto. he used to be the ultimate "hit to all fields" guy. now even he's predictable. not picking on joey, because very few (if any) batters on this team hit to all fields well.

- - - Updated - - -

i agree.

When Votto used to be Votto, he hit a lot of long fly balls to LCF that went off or over the wall. Now those are routine flies. Most of his grounders were always pulled between first and second. Now they shift on him and those are routine outs to a 2b playing in short RF.

mth123
08-22-2020, 09:17 PM

The line-up doesn't offer much hope right now.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 09:18 PM
Ervin continues to be JVM-esque.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 09:19 PM
Winker Da God

Ron Madden
08-22-2020, 09:19 PM
Double for Da Wink!

JaxRed
08-22-2020, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that's Cat Stevens playing third base for Cards

mhs95_06
08-22-2020, 09:21 PM
Double for Da Wink!

And he went oppo to get it!

malcontent
I dig this Miley guy. He can pitch a whole game while I eat a big sandwich.
You must savor it.

mth123
I'm pretty sure that's Cat Stevens playing third base for Cards

Is he standing in a Moon shadow?

Wonderful Monds
The line-up doesn't offer much hope right now.

It feels a lot like 2019 again. It’s so strange how much the lineup is underperforming or for some of them, just outright faceplanting.

It makes me wonder what the common thread is there, and I don’t think it’s Bell. I’ve theorized the organization is just behind the curve when it comes to scouting or something like that, because I don’t understand how they continue to look this bad.

HammerTime

If he can’t hit it doesn’t really matter if he’s L or R.

Wonderful Monds
08-22-2020, 09:22 PM
Can Winker DH for everyone in the lineup

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:22 PM
man, kim is getting lucky as hell. how many hard-hit balls right at guys? fm

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:23 PM
Double for Da Wink!

Notice Winker didn’t pull the ball.

texasdave
The Reds scored 701 runs this season last year. Through 24 games they are on pace to score 702. Their OPS in 2019 was .736. So far in 2020, it is .736. Last year in the NL, teams scored 4.78 runs a game. This year they are scoring 4.74 a game.

JFLegal
Notice Winker didn’t pull the ball.

after the session with hitting coach kc, the team made an adjustment. lol

mth123
It feels a lot like 2019 again. It’s so strange how much the lineup is underperforming or for some of them, just outright faceplanting.

It makes me wonder what the common thread is there, and I don’t think it’s Bell. I’ve theorized the organization is just behind the curve when it comes to scouting or something like that, because I don’t understand how they continue to look this bad.

Looks worse. JVM = Scott Schebler.

Suarez/Ervin hitting 4 and 5 is terrible. Winker is good and then its bad. Votto leading off against a lefty is kind of awful as well.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:24 PM
galvis strikes out on a pitch ... that was clearly not a strike.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 09:24 PM
I don't want to say the offense will be "fine" but I have to believe Castellanos will start lacing doubles again and Moustakas, if he can stay on the field for a while, will have his usual OPS over .800. The problem is that besides those guys and Winker, the rest are looking very suspect.

Bad strike 3 call on Galvis.

EnglishRed
08-22-2020, 09:25 PM
not a strike in a million years.

Wonderful Monds
08-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Well thatís bad

The Operator
3-0 Bader long ball

Might be ballgame with this offense

adkindo
Bader :bang:

Kc61
The Reds scored 701 runs this season last year. Through 24 games they are on pace to score 702. Their OPS in 2019 was .736. So far in 2020, it is .736. Last year in the NL, teams scored 4.78 runs a game. This year they are scoring 4.74 a game.

Did it a lot cheaper last year.

Wonderful Monds
08-22-2020, 09:28 PM
Looks worse. JVM = Scott Schebler.

Suarez/Ervin hitting 4 and 5 is terrible. Winker is good and then its bad. Votto leading off against a lefty is kind of awful as well.

I wanna know what wormhole Aquino fell into, its absurd heís not up here right now.

And I wish they would stop screwing around with service time BS with Stephenson too, he has more than earned a look at this point. Or at least Barnhart and Casali have earned one for him.

JFLegal
MLB needs to do something about the disaster that is home plate umps calling balls/strikes. i'm not even blaming the umps. can you imagine how hard that would be? determining if at times 100 MPH pitches, or 90 MPH pitches with wicked movement are within a certain zone? it would be amazingly difficult.

ever since baseball has been shown on television, it was always ridiculous to see obvious balls that were called strikes and the other way around. but in today's game with the strike zone box (or whatever you want to call it -- K-Zone, etc) it's right there for everyone to see how badly the umpires are missing these calls. and if it's a really close call, i don't think anyone gets bent out of shape. but you see several balls waaaaay off the plate (juuuuuust a bit outside) called strikes every night, and balls clearly in the zone called balls.

so, why not use the technology of the 21st century and have automated balls/strikes?

Rolando
I'll let Miley try to throw seven or eight innings the offense isn't going to score so you might as well save the bullpen

The Operator
This ump is awful

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:30 PM
I'll let Miley try to throw seven or eight innings the offense isn't going to score so you might as well save the bullpen

Miley is probably still stretching out after all the missed time, so I doubt he’ll go too deep.

I see they already have Antone getting up. Could also be a night for Cody Reed.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 09:31 PM
I wanna know what wormhole Aquino fell into, its absurd he’s not up here right now
https://i.gifer.com/7fKG.gif

It’s the only possible explanation at this point.

EnglishRed
08-22-2020, 09:32 PM
Worth giving Lorenzen a go in the last few innings playing CF and hitting? Can't do worse..

Coopdaddy67
08-22-2020, 09:33 PM
I don't want to say the offense will be "fine" but I have to believe Castellanos will start lacing doubles again and Moustakas, if he can stay on the field for a while, will have his usual OPS over .800. The problem is that besides those guys and Winker, the rest are looking very suspect.

Bad strike 3 call on Galvis.

The difference in the game (outside of the HR) is that the Cardinals soft contact is finding grass, whereas the Reds' hard contact is mostly finding gloves.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:33 PM
I wanna know what wormhole Aquino fell into, its absurd heís not up here right now.

And I wish they would stop screwing around with service time BS with Stephenson too, he has more than earned a look at this point. Or at least Barnhart and Casali have earned one for him.

monds, someone named bruce hacked into your account.

nah, i agree with you. (and him)

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:34 PM
miley is tanked

- - - Updated - - -

just getting through 5 was nice. way to battle.

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 09:35 PM
Thought Miley threw the ball reasonably well, certainly better than his line says.

EnglishRed
08-22-2020, 09:36 PM
Miley should be done for the night. He's empty.

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:36 PM
Thought Miley threw the ball reasonably well, certainly better than his line says.

Yes, very positive game for Miley.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:37 PM
another hit for farmer.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 09:37 PM
Farmer with a hit to start the 6th

BCubb2003
08-22-2020, 09:38 PM
The difference in the game (outside of the HR) is that the Cardinals soft contact is finding grass, whereas the Reds' hard contact is mostly finding gloves.

How much of it is positioning, the defenders, or luck?

JFLegal
man, votto has nothing left in the tank. completely washed-up. kills me to say that.

he would have destroyed that ball in yesteryear. even got a good swing on it. but all it was, was a lazy fly to left.

The Operator
Joey one pitch fly out

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:39 PM
Joey made out but good to see him try and slam the ball to left center. Just missed it. That’s his spot.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 09:40 PM
Jim trolls Thom with “small sample size” lol

- - - Updated - - -

Okay that’s a cool story about the home plate ump saving that lady on the bridge

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 09:41 PM
yeah, day and welsh have great chemistry.

Ron Madden
08-22-2020, 09:42 PM
No luck

Tom Servo
Sigh

Patrick Bateman
Just out defended tonight. Nothing else about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedForLife
MLB needs to do something about the disaster that is home plate umps calling balls/strikes. i'm not even blaming the umps. can you imagine how hard that would be? determining if at times 100 MPH pitches, or 90 MPH pitches with wicked movement are within a certain zone? it would be amazingly difficult.

ever since baseball has been shown on television, it was always ridiculous to see obvious balls that were called strikes and the other way around. but in today's game with the strike zone box (or whatever you want to call it -- K-Zone, etc) it's right there for everyone to see how badly the umpires are missing these calls. and if it's a really close call, i don't think anyone gets bent out of shape. but you see several balls waaaaay off the plate (juuuuuust a bit outside) called strikes every night, and balls clearly in the zone called balls.

so, why not use the technology of the 21st century and have automated balls/strikes?

Reminds me of the old Greg Maddux/Tom Glavine strikes. Javy Lopez would set up a foot and a half off the plate and if they threw a fastball directly into the mitt the ump called it a strike. Hated that.

EnglishRed
Jim trolls Thom with ďsmall sample sizeĒ lol

- - - Updated - - -

Okay thatís a cool story about the home plate ump saving that lady on the bridge

Surprised he didn't miss her.

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2020, 09:43 PM

The same one that Ozzie Smith fell into on the Simpsons.

Coopdaddy67
08-22-2020, 09:43 PM
How much of it is positioning, the defenders, or luck?

A combination of luck and the defense itself.

The Reds are a really bad defensive team that lacks range.

Another example right there from Davidson, who has hit the ball hard three times and has nothing to show for it.

Kc61
08-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Nice line drive by Davidson, Cards making all the plays.

Cardinals look like a better team out there, even though perhaps not on paper.

adkindo
08-22-2020, 09:45 PM
so it has came to this....we need Trevor Bauer near shutouts to have a chance

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2020, 09:46 PM
https://i.gifer.com/7fKG.gif

Itís the only possible explanation at this point.

I had no idea you posted this. Kudos.

malcontent
08-22-2020, 09:46 PM
Reminds me of the old Greg Maddux/Tom Glavine strikes. Javy Lopez would set up a foot and a half off the plate and if they threw a fastball directly into the mitt the ump called it a strike. Hated that.
i remember that. Glavine would start the game throwing two feet outside, and bring it back 6 inches to get the calls.

Umps were totally in the bag for the Braves. Glad they only won the one WS.

Coopdaddy67
08-22-2020, 09:47 PM
I don't care what happens the rest of the night, the fact that Davidson has hit the ball hard every AB should result in him starting again tomorrow.

Kc61
Hope Reds win. But they are not my kind of team. Hope they get hot anyway, I’m a fan, but don’t like their style of baseball.

Ron Madden
Antone nice clean inning

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Game is going exactly how I thought it would.

texasdave
08-22-2020, 09:49 PM
The team has to start hitting sometime, right?

Bushman
08-22-2020, 09:49 PM
This offense is offensive. Sick of watching ineptitude at the MLB level for the Reds.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 09:50 PM
Jim and Chris freely discussing BABIP and other stats without Thom around to call them nerds.

RedForLife
08-22-2020, 09:51 PM
The way Gant was applying the rosin bag I thought he was going to throw a Gaylord Perry puff ball.

RedForLife
08-22-2020, 09:53 PM
Hope Reds win. But they are not my kind of team. Hope they get hot anyway, Iím a fan, but donít like their style of baseball.

I don't think they have a style.

UPRedsFan
08-22-2020, 09:53 PM
Anyone else feel like Antone is being wasted as a long man when the Reds are losing? I know the game is still within reach if they can get into the Cards bullpen, but I'd like to see Antone in high leverage late innings when we're tied or ahead.

Alabama Red
08-22-2020, 09:54 PM
My list of players to move at the deadline.
Castellanos - he may opt out and we might get a solid MLB ready prospect if a team needs a bat really bad
BAuer - he’s not resigning
Iglesias - we have other guys that could close and be as effective. Lot of teams still in the hunt this year so may get a good offer for him.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 09:54 PM
Damn Winker just got under that one

The Operator
08-22-2020, 09:58 PM
Castellanos - he may opt out and we might get a solid MLB ready prospect if a team needs a bat really bad
Iglesias - we have other guys that could close and be as effective. Lot of teams still in the hunt this year so may get a good offer for him.
I don’t see any team anywhere offering anything of value for Iglesias. The Reds will be lucky to get a warm body back even if they offer to pay per of his contract.

Castellanos? Who knows. This MLB free agent market may be awfully bare this year with a huge revenue decrease this year. He’s got guaranteed money with The Reds. He probably doesn’t wanna find himself like Mike Moustakas a few years ago turning down a 17 million QO and then having to settle for a one year contract worth waaaaay less. Not that that would happen to Cast, but MLB free agency has been funny for a while now. I think he’s a crapshoot after this point.

Bauer? Well, who knows on him too. The Reds have Kyle Boddy, and he’s insisted he won’t sign a multi year deal. He could be totally full of crap, but who knows. Bauer is not your average cat. I’d say he’s a crapshoot too.

DocRed
08-22-2020, 09:58 PM
Sub .500 team. The sooner you accept it the easier it is to swallow.

Rolando
08-22-2020, 09:59 PM
It's time to cut Phillip Ervin has no value to the team that's the guy that Aquino should replace

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Hope Reds win. But they are not my kind of team. Hope they get hot anyway, Iím a fan, but donít like their style of baseball.

I donít even know what style this is. Surrealism?

The Operator
08-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Ervin with a fantastic catch and leaves a huuuuge divot in center

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 10:01 PM
what a great play from ervin.

adkindo
hell of a play by Ervin

Coopdaddy67
Ervin's lucky to walk away from that without being seriously hurt.

Kc61

Bauer is the big item. He’d bring a major return from a contender. Difference maker. I doubt they will trade him because it would be a capitulation. But Reds may get some enticing offers.

Ironman92
08-22-2020, 10:02 PM
Nice play by Ervin right as I turn on the tv

Iím home...Letís go now

adkindo
08-22-2020, 10:02 PM
It's time to cut Phillip Ervin has no value to the team that's the guy that Aquino should replace

I can think of much better options....I would keep Ervin over Jankowski and Payton without hesitation

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 10:03 PM
way to go casali. leadoff walk.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 10:04 PM
Casali works a four pitch walk to start the 8th

Kc61
I don’t even know what style this is. Surrealism?

Abstract.

Ron Madden
Casali walks!

Kc61
08-22-2020, 10:05 PM
Casali walks!

Best post of the night. Well placed exclamation mark. Says it all.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 10:06 PM
freddy done bad.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 10:07 PM
Oh for the absolute love

First pitch GIDP by Galvis

JFLegal
farmer with his third hit.

The Operator
Farmer with his third hit of the evening

Ron Madden
Another hit for Farm Dog

JFLegal
take one for the team, joey! why are you moving out of the way of that pitch? (easy for me to say lol)

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 10:08 PM
Farmer is a good little player

Bushman
.213 batting average for the year. That's TEAM average. Let that sink in.

JFLegal
joseph walks. two on, two out. castellanos time.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 10:09 PM
Votto walks

Let’s get some 2 out lightning here, Nick!

Ron Madden
Joey BB

Tom Servo
c'mon Cast

mhs95_06
freddy done bad.

So close to very good! There was a big hole on the right side and he was thinking correctly to go for it, but he just didn't wait quite long enough. A shame it didn't work out.

adkindo

so I guess this team really will go where Votto leads them to....

Alabama Red
08-22-2020, 10:12 PM
This AB is the game for us.

adkindo
08-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Castellanos has been terrible outside the first 10 games of the season

JFLegal
welp, this one is pretty much over.

The Operator
Cast strikes out pretty feebly looking.

No dice for the 2 out rally.

Tom Servo
come on man you had to know he was gonna throw that slider again :/

Ironman92
08-22-2020, 10:15 PM
Good pitching and not a very good AB

Alabama Red
08-22-2020, 10:15 PM
Take Winker out and it’s probably below 200.

RedForLife
08-22-2020, 10:16 PM
And so it goes... *sigh*

Umkubas

Jomama
Wow, first post ever in 19 some months! What drove you out of the shadows lol? Don't let #2 take as along! :)

I've posted a lot before...don't believe those stats. They're fake news.

JFLegal
08-22-2020, 10:18 PM
reds' BABIP must point to a lot of bad luck i would presume. not just this game, this season. but this game is the best example.

Alabama Red
08-22-2020, 10:18 PM
I think the Reds need to clean house in the front office. I mean every single person in baseball ops needs to go as well as the whole coaching and scouting staff.

- - - Updated - - -

reds' BABIP must point to a lot of bad luck i would presume. not just this game, this season. but this game is the best example.
We are going on three years of bad luck.

DocRed
08-22-2020, 10:19 PM
Cast strikes out pretty feebly looking.

Dude has a massive hole in his swing similar to Aquino. Difference is he punishes everything else. Ppl that think he is gonna get $20M a year by oping out are on crack cocaine. I haven't even mentioned his D...

Alabama Red
08-22-2020, 10:19 PM
I've posted a lot before...don't believe those stats. They're fake news.
I’ve posted a lot and I’m at 0 posts.

RedForLife
08-22-2020, 10:21 PM
Of our 4 hits tonight Farmer has 3 of them. I guess that means he won't be in the lineup for another week.

RedlegsFanatic
08-22-2020, 10:22 PM
Might as well turn the channel and put this one in the blow out column.
Bringing in the great CodyReed is like waving the white flag.

Bushman
08-22-2020, 10:25 PM
I feel so foolish buying into the hype. We are all so starved just for a decent team to contend. Expected way too much and I should've known better.

The Operator
Hell of a double play there

Last round up time for The Reds, down 3-0

JFLegal
wait, why did bell take antone out? not that it matters at this point, but he was crusin. turned away from the tv for a minute.

malcontent
Reed with the accelerant.

JFLegal

love seeing it was molina too!

DocRed
08-22-2020, 10:27 PM
I didn't think this offense could be worse than last year...I was mistaken

RedlegsFanatic
08-22-2020, 10:27 PM
Of our 4 hits tonight Farmer has 3 of them. I guess that means he won't be in the lineup for another week.

Farmer can hit lefty pitching a little.

The Operator
08-22-2020, 10:28 PM
Shogo is a no-go

1 out

mhs95_06
08-22-2020, 10:29 PM

The difficult part was getting the ball to 2B just barely in time to get the first out. Once that was done it was routine to get the lumbering Molina.

The Operator
Geno grounds out

2 out

DocRed
Suarez....a shell of himself

Coopdaddy67
Not a big fan of pinch hitting for Davidson when he's hit the ball hard in every AB tonight.

The Operator
Payton big league debut

UPRedsFan
08-22-2020, 10:30 PM
They've played 25 games now. How many have both Senzel and Moose been in the lineup? I bet it's less than 10.

RedForLife
C'mon Mark, get one!

RedlegsFanatic
Suarez reminds me of Pedro Sorano via Major League II

Kc61
There has been about 30 seconds of Reds offensive action in this game.

RedlegsFanatic
Pathetic

The Operator
And that’s that

Reds go feebly in the 9th with nary a whimper

Another loss to a less talented Cardinal team

Tom Servo
08-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Can't win if you can't score. Hopefully the bats at least show up for Mahle tomorrow.

Ron Madden
An they just got beat tonight.It happens I guess.

Kc61
Split in St Louis would be ok. They generally don’t hit for Mahle. In fact, they generally don’t hit.

But maybe tomorrow will be a good game.

- - - Updated - - -

An they just got beat tonight.It happens I guess.

Yeah, 14 times in 25 games so far.

adkindo
08-22-2020, 10:32 PM
just a losing culture in that clubhouse....and a lifetime loser like David Bell leading the team does not help.

Stray
Outside of Davidson's PH slam this team has done nothing offensively in 2 days. Painful to watch.

RedlegsFanatic
If Sonny, Bauer, Castillo, Miley, and Disco are all healthy and pitching, why on earth is Mahle starting tomorrow?

Umkubas
Suarez....a shell of himself

$9,535,714

Red Raindog
So maybe the Reds donít start hitting this entire year.

Seems more likely each game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2020, 10:33 PM
This team is going nowhere. Slowly.

DocRed
08-22-2020, 10:33 PM
not a .500 team sorry

Alabama Red
08-22-2020, 10:34 PM
Who went over to Japan to watch Shogo and walked away thinking, I like his swing. He will tear up MLB.