PDA

View Full Version : 9-4-20 Reds vs.Pirates Game 2

Pages : 1 [2]

fondfoat
09-05-2020, 12:00 AM
comparing winker and davidson is some massive mental gymnastics on your part.

In your anti-Reds tirades, do you actually read what the other person posts? :)

mth123
09-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Votto stretches too soon (does that fairly often)

My biggest problem with the play was he lapsed on knowing where his 2nd baseman was. When he plays that far off he has to know where his 2nd baseman is....he took a step and a half after a ball he had no chance at and being not very athletic in his older age struggled to get to bag.

So far this year Votto is the worst defensive first baseman I can remember that plays every day. He’s been very bad. He would agree 100%.

He's always done that. Votto stretches before the ball is even thrown. I know 1B is considered an easy position, but there is a technique to it. Get to the bag, position your feet, judge the line that the throw is on and then stretch toward the ball. If you stretch before it's even in the air, it makes a throw that's even a little off line an unnecessary error on the defender.

Votto is pretty good at fielding ground balls and making those plays, but he's terrible at the bag itself and that's basically the first baseman's primary job. It's been that way his entire career. 1B is not a throw-away position and we've seen why a lot this year.

mth123
09-05-2020, 08:08 AM
Nobody wants to say the throw to Votto was a little high.

Can’t say that on here yet. Too soon.

The throw was a high, but it was completely catchable and a big league first baseman should make that play.

mth123
09-05-2020, 08:27 AM
Don't you just want a higher-contact guy there who has the best chance of getting on base, with a man on 3rd and 2 out? Davidson is all-or-nothing, and it's usually a whole lot more of the latter. Save Davidson for when there's no one on. A bit odd.

I think getting the runner in from third was the priority there and Bell chose the all or nothing guy. OTOH, there isn't a Manny Mota sitting over there to choose instead. I'd have used Casali, and left him in to catch, but I can understand not wanting to burn him. They still had Farmer in case Casali got hurt though.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2020, 09:31 AM
While some hammer Joey for the missed ball, I look at what happened after that. Bauer was allowing hits and fielding other than Votto was poor. Joey gets the blame because of what he gets paid, which apparently aggravates some people. It's not my money. I don't care what he makes. I do mind the ignoring of Aquino, the love fest with Davidson and others, and the lack of putting Barnhardt in a position where he will help. The Pirates broadcasting team are now just wanting to beat the Reds and move above them.

Even Bauer admitted this after the game. Votto's error was costly and it started that little meltdown, but Bauer let it spin out of control.

Patrick Bateman
09-05-2020, 10:59 AM
FWIW Davidson has a career .263 ba vs lefties, which is fine, with few high batting average players on the team. I think people are getting a little hung up on his current year batting average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mth123
09-05-2020, 11:26 AM
FWIW Davidson has a career .263 ba vs lefties, which is fine, with few high batting average players on the team. I think people are getting a little hung up on his current year batting average.

I don't know. No one deemed him worth a big league job in 2019 and this year, other than running into an occasional homer, he adds nothing. He can't play defense, he doesn't run well and he doesn't really hit against anybody. I think Davidson is fine on the roster for now, and if they need a HR to tie against a LHP, he's not a bad choice, but if my goal is to get the runner in from third with two outs, he's not a good choice. When Senzel returns, he seems like the least useful guy to keep. Aquino can fill his RH power off the bench role, but can also run and play solid OF defense.

Kc61
09-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Davidson has been a border line major leaguer. He has almost 4,000 minor league at bats.

Players like Davidson, Nate Jones (leads Reds in pitching appearances) are not the type that one expects on championship caliber teams.

Can’t say never, it happens, but I wouldn’t place too much reliance on that type of player.

Patrick Bateman
09-05-2020, 12:29 PM
I don't know. No one deemed him worth a big league job in 2019 and this year, other than running into an occasional homer, he adds nothing. He can't play defense, he doesn't run well and he doesn't really hit against anybody. I think Davidson is fine on the roster for now, and if they need a HR to tie against a LHP, he's not a bad choice, but if my goal is to get the runner in from third with two outs, he's not a good choice. When Senzel returns, he seems like the least useful guy to keep. Aquino can fill his RH power off the bench role, but can also run and play solid OF defense.

I mean, 15 trans adopting a DH, and a world with larger rosters gave far more opportunity for a player with such a precise skill set.

He hits lefties well and does nothing else of consequence. Bell uses him in this exact role. It’s logical and based on evidence.

09-05-2020, 12:46 PM
I would have rather not have Davidson on the roster, but since Davidson is on the roster, he’s not a bad choice to face a LHP in a late inning, clutch situation.

Kc61
09-05-2020, 12:56 PM
I would have rather not have Davidson on the roster, but since Davidson is on the roster, he’s not a bad choice to face a LHP in a late inning, clutch situation.

Over the last 14 days, Matt Davidson has one hit in 23 PAs. (That probably includes yesterday.)

He was a very poor choice. You don’t try to get out of slumps with your season on the line.

BTW, in that same time period Curt Casali has a 1.358 OPS in 22 PAs. And gives a tough at bat every time.

It’s dedication to set roles in a manager’s scheme, rather than riding the hot hand.