6. Yadier Molina (R) C
7. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
8. Justin Williams (L) RF
9. Carlos Martinez (R) P

Ron Madden
04-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Bobby Nightengale
@nightengalejr
Jesse Winker, who left yesterday's game because he wasn't feeling well, is out of the lineup today. Tyler Naquin bats leadoff and Tyler Stephenson earns his 1st start of the season.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 09:52 AM
I’ll add this here rather than yesterday’s thread for the exposure. But after seeing Castellanos’ “Candyman” on Opening Day I definitely think the HBP was intentional. Language warning of course.

https://youtu.be/5w-WovPLDQM

04-04-2021, 10:00 AM
I’ll add this here rather than yesterday’s thread for the exposure. But after seeing Castellanos’ “Candyman” on Opening Day I definitely think the HBP was intentional. Language warning of course.

First pitch to the ribs is how you are taught to send a message. I have no doubt it was intentional, an order from the bench or from Yadi.

JFLegal
04-04-2021, 10:25 AM
oh, 100% it was intentional. castellanos did nothing wrong. what's worse? intentionally throwing a fastball at a guy's ribs? or flexing and yelling "YEAH" after scoring a run?

yadi should have got thrown out just for shoving the umpire as he tried to get at castellanos.

regardless, the three best things of the last three seasons have been the brawl with the pirates in 2019, castellanos/brennaman in 2020, and now this. the meme of castellanos standing over the pitcher as the pitcher looks like he's about to pee himself will stand the test of time.

JFLegal
04-04-2021, 10:26 AM
can someone remind me why hoffman is pitching and not miley? i thought miley was the #3? are they saving him for a more left-handed hitting lineup?

MoneyInTheBank
04-04-2021, 10:38 AM
I'm fully prepared for a Reds pitcher to hit a batter today and get ejected despite no consequences for the Inventors of Baseball hitting 3 yesterday

REDREAD
04-04-2021, 10:47 AM
can someone remind me why hoffman is pitching and not miley? i thought miley was the #3? are they saving him for a more left-handed hitting lineup?

I was going to ask the same thing.
I wonder if Miley has a minor thing going on and they want to give him a little more rest, and thus are making him #5?
Just pure speculation on my part, because yea, logically, it does not make much sense.
Hopefully it works and the Reds win.

MoneyInTheBank
04-04-2021, 10:51 AM

Next series is Pittsburgh and they are lefty heavy. I assume that's it

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 10:55 AM
If I had to guess, it's because Miley was the #4 from the start. Just keep him there and plug the #3 spot this time around.

JFLegal
04-04-2021, 11:08 AM
Next series is Pittsburgh and they are lefty heavy. I assume that's it

yeah, and the cardinals are loaded up with right-handed bats. i'm presuming this is the reason.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 11:18 AM
A whole article about how there was no intent and how the incident will make the Cardinals stronger. Disgusting lies and that’s why the Cardinals are hated. The Cubs and their fans annoy me, but I hate the Cardinals.

A lot of deniable plausibility.

https://theathletic.com/2496518/2021/04/03/there-was-zero-intent-cardinals-deny-deliberately-hitting-reds-nick-castellanos-defend-their-reaction/

REDREAD
04-04-2021, 11:19 AM
yeah, and the cardinals are loaded up with right-handed bats. i'm presuming this is the reason.

Ok, I suppose.
I think I would rather Hoffman pitch against the AAA Pirates though.
On the other hand, is Miley going to be that much better than Hoffman? I hope Miley has a good year, but hard to say at this point..

Ron Madden
04-04-2021, 11:21 AM
This is from Charlie Goldsmith on March 31 2021

Derek Johnson confirms the Reds pitching rotation for the first five games.
Game 1: Luis Castillo
Game 2: Tyler Mahle
Game 3: Jeff Hoffman
Game 4: José De León
Game 5: Wade Miley
1:32 PM · Mar 31, 2021

04-04-2021, 11:35 AM
A whole article about how there was no intent and how the incident will make the Cardinals stronger. Disgusting lies and that’s why the Cardinals are hated. The Cubs and their fans annoy me, but I hate the Cardinals.

A lot of deniable plausibility.

https://theathletic.com/2496518/2021/04/03/there-was-zero-intent-cardinals-deny-deliberately-hitting-reds-nick-castellanos-defend-their-reaction/

The article got this part right, the first one I have seen that did:

Moustakas had to physically restrain a protective Molina from going after Castellanos. Woodford had to be held back by multiple teammates. Jack Flaherty, Paul Goldschmidt, Paul DeJong and new Cardinal Nolan Arenado were some of the first to the scuffle, all visibly upset. A separate fracas nearly broke out in the outfield, where manager Mike Shildt had to keep Jordan Hicks from charging a corps of Reds relievers.

Woo covers the Cardinals, so I expected the pro-Cardinal slant.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 11:46 AM
The article got this part right, the first one I have seen that did:

Woo covers the Cardinals, so I expected the pro-Cardinal slant.

Yeah the article is slanted. But the holier-than-thou quotes are what drives me crazy.

LeDoux
04-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Maybe Hoffman's job today is to throw one carefully placed pitch to the testes before letting Miley go? Wishful thinking I know.

mth123
04-04-2021, 11:50 AM
I hate Baseball brawls. Act like adults and play ball.

Nobody should have been ejected from either team, but I'm not impressed by Castellanos posing after scoring a run or anything Molina did.

I blame the benches for running out there. That is what escalated the whole thing. I think Castellanos was ready to go to first and run the bases until that happened. Molina walking with him to make sure he doesn't charge the mound is OK Too. None of that requires the benches to clear. Those are the guys who should be fined or suspended.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 11:53 AM
I hate Baseball brawls. Act like adults and play ball.

Nobody should have been ejected from either team, but I'm not impressed by Castellanos posing after scoring a run or anything Molina did.

I blame the benches for running out there. That is what escalated the whole thing. I think Castellanos was ready to go to first and run the bases until that happened. Molina walking with him to make sure he doesn't charge the mound is OK Too. None of that requires the benches to clear. Those are the guys who should be fined or suspended.

I assume you saw the brawl and I’m interpreting things wrong, but that last paragraph reads like the incident and bench clearing occurred on the HBP.

mth123
04-04-2021, 12:06 PM
I assume you saw the brawl and I’m interpreting things wrong, but that last paragraph reads like the incident and bench clearing occurred on the HBP.

You're right. It does read that way. The brawl was after he scored. I'm not impressed by Castellanos posing and would rather he not, but it was no reason for the benches to empty. Nobody was physically engaged at that point. That pitcher wasn't going to do anything, Cast probably would have walked off to the dugout and it would have been over. I actually think the posing was the catalyst to this brawl and I'm not in favor of it, but I don't think anything would have happened if the benches stayed put.

LeDoux
04-04-2021, 12:12 PM
You're right. It does read that way. The brawl was after he scored. I'm not impressed by Castellanos posing and would rather he not, but it was no reason for the benches to empty. Nobody was physically engaged at that point. That pitcher wasn't going to do anything, Cast probably would have walked off to the dugout and it would have been over. I actually think the posing was the catalyst to this brawl and I'm not in favor of it, but I don't think anything would have happened if the benches stayed put.

I would rather the players not pose as well. But didn't the pitcher have his knee on Castellanos' back trying to make the play? I took this as the reason for the flex. I am not saying it is right, but it is hard to expect anything else.

mth123
04-04-2021, 12:14 PM
I would rather the players not pose as well. But didn't the pitcher have his knee on Castellanos' back trying to make the play? I took this as the reason for the flex. I am not saying it is right, but it is hard to expect anything else.

Maybe, but the benches clearing was completely unnecessary. If anyone should be fined or suspended, I'd probably ding the Managers for not keeping their teams under control.

M2
04-04-2021, 12:18 PM

The part I don't think is getting enough attention is Woodford 100% Ray Kinged Castellanos at the plate. Do the Cardinals teach pitchers to make sure they land on top of the guy if they get beat at the plate?

After taking a pitch to the ribs and having that same pitcher jam two knees into his back, Nick deserves sainthood for just giving the guy a pose down. A cleat to the face would have been a proportionate response.

mth123
04-04-2021, 12:22 PM
The part I don't think is getting enough attention is Woodford 100% Ray Kinged Castellanos at the plate. Do the Cardinals teach pitchers to make sure they land on top of the guy if they get beat at the plate?

After taking a pitch to the ribs and having that same pitcher jam two knees into his back, Nick deserves sainthood for just giving the guy a pose down. A cleat to the face would have been a proportionate response.

I'm more of the mind that a line drive off or over the wall the next time up is the appropriate response. He was already up and nobody was kneeling on his ribs by the time he posed. It was over. Just go back to the dugout and beat him on the field in the next PA.

M2
04-04-2021, 12:24 PM
I'm more of the mind that a line drive off or over the wall the next time up is the appropriate response. He was already up and nobody was kneeling on his ribs by the time he posed. It was over. Just go back to the dugout and beat him on the field in the next PA.

I'm not down with that level of boring.

04-04-2021, 12:29 PM
I'm more of the mind that a line drive off or over the wall the next time up is the appropriate response.

(Stealing from M2)

thatcoolguy_22
04-04-2021, 12:40 PM
I will die on this hill. You can cause real damage to a career with a fastball in the ribs. You can deter the intentional plunking with an actual mound charge. Throw hands and its over. See you in 2 weeks. Let pitchers know you can get Odor'd, and the intentionial buffoonery will stop.

Better still, eject the pitcher immediately and mandatory 10 game suspensions. The unwritten rules are trash. Celebrate, yell, bat flip, whatever, don't throw at the batter the next time he is at the plate with the bases empty and 2 outs.

mth123
04-04-2021, 12:40 PM
If they want to pose, bat flip, or take a bow, I don't care. It's fine, but if it's fine, then the benches don't need to clear over it. Nobody needs to get thrown at or thrown out and no brawls need to ensue. Let players do the WWE routine after every play, but stop the brawls and play ball.

mth123
04-04-2021, 12:43 PM
I will die on this hill. You can cause real damage to a career with a fastball in the ribs. You can deter the intentional plunking with an actual mound charge. Throw hands and its over. See you in 2 weeks. Let pitchers know you can get Odor'd, and the intentionial buffoonery will stop.

Better still, eject the pitcher immediately and mandatory 10 game suspensions. The unwritten rules are trash. Celebrate, yell, bat flip, whatever, don't throw at the batter the next time he is at the plate with the bases empty and 2 outs.

I can buy the second paragraph, but I think the mound charge just escalates things and leads to more guys getting plunked.

Mitri
04-04-2021, 12:52 PM
I love Castellanos' intensity during the game, and especially his comments after the game. "I've lost my whole career, and I ain't tryiin' to start this season 0 and 2".

I don't think his celebration was over the top in relation to what ensued right before it (the hbp and then play at home).

TheBigLebowski
04-04-2021, 12:52 PM

I’m not getting anywhere near your lawn.

thatcoolguy_22
04-04-2021, 12:56 PM
I love Castellanos' intensity during the game, and especially his comments after the game. "I've lost my whole career, and I ain't tryiin' to start this season 0 and 2".

I don't think his celebration was over the top in relation to what ensued right before it (the hbp and then play at home).

I love the intensity, not so much his love for Yadier :D

04-04-2021, 12:57 PM
Here is another pic of the incident, this time from a professional photographer and not a screen shot:

Mitri
04-04-2021, 12:59 PM
I love the intensity, not so much his love for Yadier :D

I actually like that too, paying respect to a baseball elder statesman. Castellanos may really think Yadi is a clown, but he knows when to stop, listen and learn.

This team needs a warrior-type like Castellanos that can produce at the top of the lineup and go to battle every day. I'd love to see him become the vocal leader.

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 01:05 PM
Need a surprisingly good game from Hoffman today.

Kc61
04-04-2021, 01:12 PM
I really enjoy the transformation from off-season to regular season. Castellanos is a good example. Some wanted to dump him this off-season, just to get him off the books.

But watching him play, the guy is a gamer, a very good player, even with below average defense (which isn’t that terrible BTW).

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 01:15 PM
Reds get 4 innings of 1-2 run given up by Hoffman it will be great. Look for Antone today.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Screw the ump.

NebraskaRed
Hoffman let that AB get away from him after that bad call.

Tom Servo
how do you miss that strike 3 to Arenado

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 01:17 PM
Arenado and Goldschmidt are just poison to Reds pitchers. Deadly. And DeJong too.

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 01:17 PM
Arenado gets a 2 out double after ump missed strike 3.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 01:18 PM
how do you miss that strike 3 to Arenado

Like honest question.

Do the umpires get feedback after the game like “look at this pitch, you missed it, and look at the ramifications of the miss.”?

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Great first inning by Hoffman. Need 3-4 more like it.

Kc61
Very nice inning by Hoffman. Good stuff. Hope he can keep it under control with few mistakes.

kaldaniels
Hoffman let that AB get away from him after that bad call.

I’d be shook too. Finally your chance to start over occurs and the ump screws you.

Playadlc
04-04-2021, 01:20 PM
What’s with all the Ricky Bobby references? lol

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 01:20 PM
Umps have no ramifications. That's why we have Angel Hernandez and Joe West (etc)

ochoa30
04-04-2021, 01:21 PM
Very nice inning by Hoffman. Good stuff. Hope he can keep it under control with few mistakes.

All 3 balls off the bat were over 100 mph exit velo. He got pretty lucky. Gonna need to induce weaker contact.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 01:21 PM
What’s with all the Ricky Bobby references? lol

I fear John is using up his bullets his first week in the booth.

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Anyone else think Votto is to high in batting order?

Kc61
04-04-2021, 01:29 PM
Umps have no ramifications. That's why we have Angel Hernandez and Joe West (etc)

The question raised by umpiring, refereeing, is how much they are influenced by the identity of the teams.

Do the Cardinals get more calls than Reds since Cards have been more of a winning franchise lately?

It’s a longer conversation, much as been written about what influences sports referees, but sometimes it seems Reds just don’t get many calls.

bing
04-04-2021, 01:29 PM

The fact that's he's in the lineup is the problem for me. Definitely way too high.

podgejeff_
04-04-2021, 01:31 PM
boooooooooooooo

podgejeff_
04-04-2021, 01:32 PM
Hoffman just blew Molina away.

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 01:33 PM
Hoffman getting K's on off-speed pitches

Playadlc
Great pitch.

Kc61
The fact that's he's in the lineup is the problem for me. Definitely way too high.

Votto playing all three games, after a bout with COVID, and hitting third, is certainly questionable.

podgejeff_
Hoffman getting K's on off-speed pitches

He's got a nice looking curve. Follows it up with the high fastball.

Nice stretch Votto.

Kc61
04-04-2021, 01:34 PM
Nice play Votto on the throw.

Mitri
Nice play Joey!

NebraskaRed
Votto gets rightfully called out for some bad defense, but that was pretty great.

ochoa30
Very nice second inning! Keep it going!

zigbeenuthouse
LOL....Suarez is thinking too much about NOT making an error.

Ironman92

Buster Posey bats 7th. Pujols bats 6th.

Mitri
04-04-2021, 01:35 PM
Hoffman is interesting. His curve/spinning FB combo could work but he has to locate it all. He could become our new swingman.

04-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Suarez getting better. He bobbled that ball, but was able to recover to finish the play, thanks to the good stretch from Votto.

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Suarez needs to tighten it up

Votto was athletic for him on that play but you can’t watch the slow mo replay and say his footwork is any good.

Votto saved Suarez and the Reds on that play...his footwork almost cost him the ability to save him.

Kc61
04-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Suarez needs to tighten it up

Votto was athletic for him on that play but you can’t watch the slow mo replay and say his footwork is any good.

Votto saved Suarez and the Reds on that play...his footwork almost cost him the ability to save him.

gonna take awhile.

Mitri
04-04-2021, 01:37 PM
I think Geno just needs reps.

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 01:38 PM
Thought Reds players were trying to work Martinez?

zigbeenuthouse

No problem with Joey getting deference for his place in Reds history...but this is the BIGS and winning is everything. Joey is not a 3 slot hitter anymore. Hitting 6th looks about right. MAYBE 5? That is stretch.

KeefeCato

I may be wrong but if he don't hit by May I believe he will be moved to 7 spot. Provided several others are hitting.

KeefeCato
04-04-2021, 01:40 PM
I may be wrong but if he don't hit by May I believe he will be moved to 7 spot. Provided several others are hitting.

I would like to see Farmer or Blandino at 3b and Moose at 1b vs. LHP. Votto will need days off might as well platoon him.

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 01:42 PM

That’s not been the Reds way for a good while.

Brandon Phillips batted 7th opening day in 2015.....had an exciting comeback win and everyone was celebrating but Phillips wasn’t even happy. Moved back up to where he thought he should be.

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 01:42 PM
That will be a leadership test for Bell. Handling vets who aren't hitting. Several guys might end up there. Votto, Moose, Tucker, Senzel.

podgejeff_
04-04-2021, 01:43 PM
Hoffman keeps pitching like this and it won't be long before we've won that trade.

KeefeCato
That’s not been the Reds way for a good while.

Brandon Phillips batted 7th opening day in 2015.....had an exciting comeback win and everyone was celebrating but Phillips wasn’t even happy. Moved back up to where he thought he should be.

Oh I agree but I think this time they make the move.

zigbeenuthouse
This the first time I've seen Hoffman pitch. He is doing very well.

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 01:44 PM
Hoffman keeps pitching like this and it won't be long before we've won that trade.

Seems to top out at 93,94. Would like to see more. But if he's our 5th or 6th starter that's not bad.

KeefeCato
04-04-2021, 01:44 PM
Larkin can't even pronounce players names right.
Who is Bendrosian ?

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 01:45 PM
Good footwork by Joey on that play

podgejeff_
Seems to top out at 93,94. Would like to see more. But if he's our 5th or 6th starter that's not bad.

I'm more impressed by his movement and location. And the results, obviously.

Mitri
Who is Bendrosian ?

Ben Drozian.

Kc61
Smart to pitch Hoffman against Cards. Predominantly RHH team. Better matchup than Miley would have been.

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 01:46 PM
Who is Bendrosian ?

Let me look straight up in the air for that answer

NebraskaRed
Who is Bendrosian ?

Carm Bedrockian

podgejeff_
Yeah that curve is mean. I can see why he's in Spincinnati.

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 01:47 PM
I can see Hoffman moving to pen with the other guys return. Who gets sent down? Romano?

Wonderful Monds
Why did I think all this time Hoffman was a left hander?

Kc61
Hoffman may be taking the lead in the fifth starter competition, looking to the rotation after Gray returns. Impressive so far.

0-2 Count
I would like to see Votto bat 7th.

Hoffman doing well so far, but let's hope that Bell does not stick with him too long, regardless of the results. The strength of the bullpen is rested.

Tom Servo
04-04-2021, 01:48 PM
Jeff “Trevor” Hoffman

HokieRed
04-04-2021, 01:48 PM
If he can get consistently in where he was with Edman, he can be effective.

M2
04-04-2021, 01:49 PM
Smart to pitch Hoffman against Cards. Predominantly RHH team. Better matchup than Miley would have been.

Except Hoffman's always been an easy feast for RH hitters.

KeefeCato
Jeff “Trevor” Hoffman

Hells Bells.

JaxRed

I don't even think Hoffman was the Reds main target in that trade. I think Case Williams was,

Kc61

Hoffman doing well so far, but let's hope that Bell does not stick with him too long, regardless of the results. The strength of teh bullpen is rested.

I don’t disagree. But IMO the most important thing for Votto is to get more rest. I’d begin by sitting him one game against Pirates.

podgejeff_
04-04-2021, 01:50 PM
Hoffman seems to be leaning on that changeup. It's been effective.

And his spin rate on his changeup is really really low. Way below average.

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 01:52 PM
Who had 6 before?

KeefeCato
04-04-2021, 01:53 PM
Martinez only 34 pitches through three.

ochoa30
Yeesh, Martinez is sharp so far.

Who had 6 before?

Dee Strange-Gordon

Kc61
RHH lifetime .611 OPS against Martinez. Tough day to have Winker out of the lineup. Need to scratch out a couple of runs against him.

04-04-2021, 01:54 PM
I think we have been underestimating the power of Derek Johnson and Driveline.

M2
04-04-2021, 01:57 PM
RHH lifetime .611 OPS against Martinez. Tough day to have Winker out of the lineup. Need to scratch out a couple of runs against him.

And .753 vs. LHH. Technically this is the type of pitcher where you want Barnhart over Stephenson. Though I get the desire to rotate the catchers to keep them fresh.

NebraskaRed
04-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Larkin has interesting things to say I just hope that he starts going with quality over quantity.

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Refreshing to see Senzel back out there so quickly

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 02:00 PM
Jeff Hoffman seems like a name of a guy we’ve never heard of and in his first ever start throws a 4 hit shut out vs the Reds

RiverRat13
04-04-2021, 02:01 PM
Wasn't expecting to watch a Hoffman-Martinez duel today but here we are.

NebraskaRed
I did not expect 4 innings of no run, 1 hit baseball from Jeff Hoffman and I couldn't be happier.

KeefeCato
Wonder if Tucker is going to catch certain pitchers or will he always sit vs.LHP no matter who the Reds starter is?

Mitri
Jeff “Trevor” Hoffman

"Cy" Hoffman

Tom Servo
Why did I think all this time Hoffman was a left hander?
Thinking of Rockies/Reds legend Jeff Francis?

Kc61
04-04-2021, 02:02 PM
Except Hoffman's always been an easy feast for RH hitters.

Hoffman in Colorado has been an easy feast period. Hopefully with more emphasis on his spin ability, he’ll revert to more normal outcomes. Bell seems to think so, or Miley would be pitching today.

Tom Servo
04-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Larkin has interesting things to say I just hope that he starts going with quality over quantity.
Think he really just had no interest in expressing his views on that particular subject, which is too bad but I get it.

Mitri
Terrible AB by Naquin. Didn't look ready at all. Martinez works quickly, guys, let's go.

KeefeCato
Hoffman in Colorado has been an easy feast period. Hopefully with more emphasis on his spin ability, he’ll revert to more normal outcomes.

Wasn't Hoffman a high draft pick or am I thinking of Fulmer?

Kc61
04-04-2021, 02:04 PM
Could call by the new announcer on that triple by Castellanos.

Norm Chortleton
Fireworks for a triple lol

bing

Hoffman doing well so far, but let's hope that Bell does not stick with him too long, regardless of the results. The strength of the bullpen is rested.

Yep, agreed with this. I don't want him to.see the lineup a 3rd time at all.

podgejeff_
04-04-2021, 02:05 PM
When the CF lost track of that ball I thought maybe, just maybe, that was an inside the park HR.

0-2 Count
Would love to see a passed ball here.

JaxRed
Was RF taking a nap on that ball?

kaldaniels
When the CF lost track of that ball I thought maybe, just maybe, that was an inside the park HR.

If Cast had busted it out of the box it would have been.

Tom Servo
No pressure Joey but if you don’t bring the run in here we will all hate you forever

04-04-2021, 02:06 PM
Btw, Carlson is not a CF, and it showed.

podgejeff_
Votto's delivered some timely hitting in this short season.

Kc61
[QUOTE=KeefeCato;4223316]

I believe they were both top ten overall draft picks, Hoffman and Fulmer.

NebraskaRed
04-04-2021, 02:07 PM
No pressure Joey but if you don’t bring the run in here we will all hate you forever

Now we all love Votto again (for the next 5 minutes)

kaldaniels

You live for another day Joey.

Ironman92
Regardless of where he bats....I always like Joey up with runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs

Nice bat Joseph

Votto, the ultimate #3 hitter

bing
Liking Cast more every day.

RiverRat13
Atta boy, Joey.

JaxRed

He just wants to be loved......

Ironman92
I don’t disagree. But IMO the most important thing for Votto is to get more rest. I’d begin by sitting him one game against Pirates.

I’m skeptical of that happening.

podgejeff_
04-04-2021, 02:09 PM
I'm liking the hitter's strategy commentary from Larkin.

Suarez with the good eye. The Reds are in Martinez's head now.

Ironman92
Fireworks for a triple lol

All hits matter

kaldaniels
Meltdown time CMart.

NebraskaRed
Carlos Martinez definitely doesn't hide his emotions

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:10 PM
Jeez Maddux giving Carlos a shoulder massage.

KeefeCato
Joey earned some fancy coffee with that RBI

podgejeff_
Meltdown time CMart.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/GWD5nSpiHxs3K/giphy.gif

KeefeCato
04-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Martinez million dollar arm 10 cent head always.

NebraskaRed
04-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Noted base stealer, Joseph Votto

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 02:12 PM
VOTTO delivers....I PRAY this guy does this all year. Gonna be fun lineup if he hits like that.

Ironman92
Good getting bat on ball and good baserunning

podgejeff_
Unlucky Moose.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:13 PM
Damn right Barry.

Great base running by Votto.

- - - Updated - - -

CMart is such a clown.

ochoa30
04-04-2021, 02:14 PM
Damn, really wanted more there.

M2
04-04-2021, 02:16 PM
Hoffman in Colorado has been an easy feast period. Hopefully with more emphasis on his spin ability, he’ll revert to more normal outcomes. Bell seems to think so, or Miley would be pitching today.

Obviously they're hoping for better than he's been. Yet, regardless of that, you wouldn't cherry pick his start based on the other team having a lot of RH bats. It's likely as simple as he got in more work than Miley during ST so they're taking extra time to get Miley ready.

WVRedsFan
04-04-2021, 02:17 PM
Good Lord. The constant criticism of Joey drives me nuts. Joey still has it, no matter the cost.

Tom Servo
04-04-2021, 02:20 PM
I knew with everything in my soul that Molina was going to dump a little single in there. He always does.

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 02:21 PM
Pivotal inning for Hoffman....Bell needs to have the hook ready.

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 02:21 PM
I knew with everything in my soul that Molina was going to dump a little single in there. He always does.

Yep

Tom Servo
04-04-2021, 02:23 PM
yesiree!

BluegrassRedleg
04-04-2021, 02:23 PM
Larkstradamus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 02:24 PM
Jeff Hoffman....I give you an “A” performance today [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Thank You

0-2 Count
Can't complain about those 5 innings from Hoffman.

Mitri
Do you bring Hoffman out for the 6th? Or is it Tejay time?

Tom Servo
boy who wouldn't have taken 5 innings of 1 run ball from Hoffman

ochoa30
04-04-2021, 02:25 PM
Couldn’t ask for more and now Antone. Nice job Hoffman!

NebraskaRed
Can't complain about Hoffman's performance. That was better than anyone expected.

Kc61
Obviously they're hoping for better than he's been. Yet, regardless of that, you wouldn't cherry pick his start based on the other team having a lot of RH bats. It's likely as simple as he got in more work than Miley during ST so they're taking extra time to get Miley ready.

With Bell as manager it’s likely lefty/righty. Just look at Cards lineup. But whatever.

Need some more runs.

M2
04-04-2021, 02:26 PM
Do you bring Hoffman out for the 6th? Or is it Tejay time?

I'd pull him for the PH here. The pen is fresh.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:28 PM
I'd pull him for the PH here. The pen is fresh.

Yep. Tejay time.

M2
04-04-2021, 02:28 PM
With Bell as manager it’s likely lefty/righty. Just look at Cards lineup. But whatever.

Need some more runs.

Again, it would only be lefty/righty if Bell and the entire organization are completely in the dark about who Jeff Hoffman has been throughout his career.

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Thank you groundskeepers

NebraskaRed
04-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Gotta get one of those 2003 Stephenson rookie cards.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:31 PM
Hoffman has something to build on from today.

Had some luck on hard hit balls, but the ump didn’t do him any favors either.

Well done.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:33 PM
Farmer was never the answer for me but it’s comical how his hope to be SS was pulled out from under him in March.

“Forget it Kyle, we’ll just side Eugenio over...”

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 02:34 PM
Reds could not ask for more today with Hoffman outing. GREAT effort from him to battle Cards

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:34 PM
Funny how pitches that get away from CMart don’t magically end up in the batters’ ribs today.

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 02:35 PM
Big at bat here. Lefty hitter with 2 on...

GAC
04-04-2021, 02:36 PM
Whose the Red's announcer always running his mouth? LOL

Tom Servo
Edman is such a pest.

kaldaniels
Whose the Red's announcer always running his mouth? LOL

Grandesque Cardinal praise.

Tom Servo
04-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Cast!!!!! :jump:

Red Raindog
04-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Castabombo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NebraskaRed
04-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Castellanos!

BluegrassRedleg
April Castellanos is something to behold!

kaldaniels
Nick is a boss.

Ironman92
Raise your hand if you like Nick

[emoji2323]

GAC
Castellanos 3 Run homer!!! 4-1 Reds

Wonderful Monds
loling at everyone that wanted to salary dump Cast and called his contract a waste over the offseason

0-2 Count
Well. I think Castellanos is getting the last word in from yesterday.

HammerTime
Boom!

M2
Did he toss the bat?

RiverRat13
LOL! Why would they pitch to him???

Kc61
04-04-2021, 02:40 PM
Third time through the lineup kills. Great homer by Nick.

JarrodOnVinyl
Nicholas owns the Cardinals

kaldaniels
Did he toss the bat?

No Candyman either. I’m disappointed.

Ironman92
Well. I think Castellanos is getting the last word in from yesterday.

Agree but I’ll wait until the game is over to confirm

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:41 PM
Nick seems to be one of the few who back it up.

Mitri
Skipped a little on the way to the dugout too.

GAC
Did he toss the bat?

Looked to me like he was taunting Molina!

JaxRed
And means Hoffmann can get a well deserved W

TheBigLebowski
04-04-2021, 02:42 PM

thatcoolguy_22
I'm more of the mind that a line drive off or over the wall the next time up is the appropriate response.

After watching Castellanos triple and HR, I'm with you now. No brawling in baseball. Smash bombs! :D

https://youtu.be/Zezg0v_qQtI

M2
Looked to me like he was taunting Molina!

I endorse that decision.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:43 PM
How can we get Nick pissed off at the Bucs?

zigbeenuthouse
04-04-2021, 02:43 PM
BLAST!!!!!!!!!! Dude RULES GABP over Cards.

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:44 PM
loling at everyone that wanted to salary dump Cast and called his contract a waste over the offseason

Very unlucky last year but there were many who just wouldn’t listen to that fact.

M2
04-04-2021, 02:46 PM
Don't walk Matt Carpenter. He's not in the lineup anymore because he can't hit. All he can do is walk.

04-04-2021, 02:46 PM
From Trevor Bauer Twitter:

Castellanos to the moon! Give me all of this rivalry all season. Prime time TV

kaldaniels
04-04-2021, 02:47 PM

Saw that.

Don’t think he’d tweet that if it were Votto...

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 02:52 PM
Need this out

Edit; Got it !!

TheBigLebowski

He could still be here. I miss Heavy Trevy

BluegrassRedleg
What a sweet pitch by Antone.

RiverRat13
04-04-2021, 02:53 PM
Nice

TexasRedsFan
04-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Great job by Antone. The pitching staff has really impressed so far outside of Castillo.

GAC
04-04-2021, 03:06 PM
India delivers a seeing eye single into RF 5-1 Reds!

WrongVerb
04-04-2021, 03:07 PM
So Jonathan India's nickname is now "Reds Sparrow"

M2
04-04-2021, 03:07 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/016/298/icon.gif

JaxRed
04-04-2021, 03:08 PM
So Jonathan India's nickname is now "Reds Sparrow"

I think they said Red Sparrow

GAC
04-04-2021, 03:08 PM
Show patience. Helsley can't find the plate.

GAC
04-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Passed ball. Senzel scores from 3B. Runners advance. 6-1 Reds

RiverRat13
04-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Impressive by Senzel to get there safely.

NebraskaRed
04-04-2021, 03:10 PM
This is so much fun.

GAC
GB error on Card's SS. India scores. 7-1

Larry Schuler
The Reds are a good team now. It looked shaky there for one day.

WrongVerb
Senzel, India, and Stephenson are the future of the team. Love this.

RiverRat13
Scoring runs is fun!

RedsfaninMT
04-04-2021, 03:11 PM
That's scored a hit? Wow!

TexasRedsFan
Manufacturing runs and making the opponent pay for mistakes. Love it! Such a great start so far.

zigbeenuthouse
Making contact is deadly....Reds are doing it. LOVE this approach. MISSING on a swing doesn't mean a batter can deliver. Please continue...

RiverRat13
The Reds are a good team now. It looked shaky there for one day.They look revitalized after the much needed day off.

04-04-2021, 03:13 PM
Antone with a quality bunt that the Cardinals blunder.

NebraskaRed
Absolutely loving watching the Cardinals flounder.

Playadlc
lol Cards.

BluegrassRedleg
04-04-2021, 03:14 PM
That looked like something the Reds would do on defense against the Cards in the past.

Playadlc
04-04-2021, 03:14 PM
Just a horrible play by Arenado.

GAC
04-04-2021, 03:15 PM
Card's falling apart this inning. Terrible decision by Card's 3Bman on that bunt trying to go to 2B.

NebraskaRed
Amazing

Mitri
I'm not sure if the Reds are good or the Cardinals are terrible but either outcome is fine by me.

BluegrassRedleg
Flexin on em.

Red Raindog
This makes for a great day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ironman92
Tyler Naquin....let us welcome you to the Cincinnati Reds

GAC
Naquin a 3 run homer. 10-1 now. LOL

He drilled that to RF!

Playadlc
10-1.

WVRedsFan
I just want to know who kidnapped the Reds and don't care I like these guys better!! 10-1 Reds!

RiverRat13
Boom!

Ironman92
04-04-2021, 03:16 PM
Hey guys...can you keep a secret? Don’t tell anyone...but this is REALLY FUN!

GAC
"Taking advantage of a pitch not very well located"

Ya think? LOL

Playadlc
He was fooled on that pitch as well.

04-04-2021, 03:17 PM
I think a few posters are going to be sneaking back to the win prediction thread and changing their predictions.

Kc61
04-04-2021, 03:17 PM
Senzel, India, and Stephenson are the future of the team. Love this.

Agree. Good to see young guys looking like big leaguers.

Even going beyond the score, not that impressed with Cards. Lineup lacks LHH, pitching seems ordinary. Early, I don’t know them that well, so we’ll see, but nice to win this opening series.

Playadlc
04-04-2021, 03:18 PM
That ball was smoked.