7. Josh Rojas (L) SS
8. Carson Kelly (R) C
9. Taylor Widener (L) P

goreds2
04-09-2021, 02:57 PM
Good to see the Wink back.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Very, very much not a fan of sitting Senzel while he’s as locked in as he is at the moment. First big galaxy brain moment of the season by Bell.

jwdoc77
04-09-2021, 04:38 PM
Very, very much not a fan of sitting Senzel while he’s as locked in as he is at the moment. First big galaxy brain moment of the season by Bell.

Agreed. My exact thoughts also....unless hes banged up with something, let the kid play....Naquin in late as a defensive replacement for either Wink or Cast.

0-2 Count
04-09-2021, 04:57 PM

Was getting ready to post the exact same thing. Total head-scratcher. Bell overmanaging here.

M2
04-09-2021, 05:16 PM
Tyler is under strict groundball orders tonight.

BillDoran
04-09-2021, 05:23 PM

He's sitting for a guy who had 3 HRs and 8 RBIs in the last two games.

Not going to argue about who's the future, but if you're trying to win games and want to play the hot bat, nobody is hotter than Tyler Naquin.

Larkin90
04-09-2021, 05:32 PM
Nice to see that we still have a couple of black holes camping out in the 3/4 spots in the lineup. Suarez is batting .111 (.202 last season) and Votto is batting .200 (.221 last season), but they still get the start while a guy like Senzel rides the pine at .356. Put Senzel in Center, Winker at 1st, and bat Suarez in the 8 spot. No reason to have both of these guys at two of the most important spots in the lineup night after night.

ETA: if Suarez is off the juice or whatever and all he can manage going forward is .200ish with no power, then the least we could do is bring up Garcia who can actually field the position and has potential. Bring on the future.

Kc61
04-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Widener, the DBacks pitcher, has allowed a .960 OPS against v LHH in a small sample.

That’s almost certainly why Naquin is playing CF over Senzel.

Looking around for his minor league splits, will add if I find them.

Ron Madden
04-09-2021, 05:39 PM
The D-backs lineup has been added to the original post

The Operator
04-09-2021, 05:51 PM
D-backs
9. Taylor Widener (L) P

Widener? I hardly know ‘er!!

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 05:52 PM

Not going to argue about who's the future, but if you're trying to win games and want to play the hot bat, nobody is hotter than Tyler Naquin.
Yeah it's not like he's sitting for Jason Bourgeois or something.

CySeymour
04-09-2021, 05:53 PM
Nice to see that we still have a couple of black holes camping out in the 3/4 spots in the lineup. Suarez is batting .111 (.202 last season) and Votto is batting .200 (.221 last season), but they still get the start while a guy like Senzel rides the pine at .356. Put Senzel in Center, Winker at 1st, and bat Suarez in the 8 spot. No reason to have both of these guys at two of the most important spots in the lineup night after night.

ETA: if Suarez is off the juice or whatever and all he can manage going forward is .200ish with no power, then the least we could do is bring up Garcia who can actually field the position and has potential. Bring on the future.

Winker has never played first base. Try again.

Larkin90
04-09-2021, 06:07 PM

And? Neither had Pete Rose...until he was 37. I’m sure Winker could figure it out and it’s not exactly like he’d be replacing a decent fielder over there.

M2
04-09-2021, 06:07 PM
Tailor Widener is the byproduct of the union between a humble suit maker and a small college in southeastern Pennsylvania.

M2
04-09-2021, 06:08 PM
And? Neither had Pete Rose...until he was 37. I’m sure Winker could figure it out and it’s not exactly like he’d be replacing a decent fielder over there.

Because what Jesse Winker is known for is figuring out defensive positions.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 06:14 PM

Sure, Naquin is hot, but Senzel isn’t much further behind, and has a ceiling and a future with the team.

I’d basically expect Naquin to perform to his career stat line on any given next game while Senzel has a lot more to prove. If push is coming to shove, Senzel should be in the lineup 10 times out of 10. He hasn’t really been able to get on a roll since being called up really at all, and now that he’s on one I’m not benching him for a journeyman. Not saying it’s going to stunt the rest of his career, but I’m giving Senzel every single chance to break out humanly possible.

If you absolutely HAVE to get Naquin in the lineup, then move one of Winker or Castellanos to 1B for a game and put Naquin and Senzel both in the lineup.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 06:16 PM

Who cares? I’ve never seen anyone bring this up until the last year or so when it comes to Winker. Any jabroni can play first base.

Welsh even mentioned a few days ago that Winker is considered by the team to be a backup 1B option too, so it’s not just some pinhead on a message board suggesting this either.

Larkin90
04-09-2021, 06:16 PM
Because what Jesse Winker is known for is figuring out defensive positions.

There may not be any perfect solutions, but hopefully the team can figure out something better than having a couple of worst-defense-in-the-league guys starting every game at 1st and SS with a combined batting line that would make Willy Tavares blush. At least stop batting them 3/4 every night, sheesh.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 06:20 PM
The Reds have played any number of backup catchers at first base who have no experience at the position at, sometimes for extended periods of time too. Barnhart, Hernandez, Brayan Pena. They also put Jay Bruce there with zero notice and he was firmly in “just a guy” territory by then.

I promise you Jesse Winker can play first base. Especially when the bar we’re talking about surpassing is current day Joey Votto.

M2
04-09-2021, 06:22 PM
There may not be any perfect solutions, but hopefully the team can figure out something better than having a couple of worst-defense-in-the-league guys starting every game at 1st and SS with a combined batting line that would make Willy Tavares blush. At least stop batting them 3/4 every night, sheesh.

Votto's going to be fine at 1B. People blow up the one bad month he had last season because apparently they need something to do. And I don't know if you got the memo on Votto, but he's known for hitting the ball.

mth123
04-09-2021, 06:23 PM
I get the idea of moving an OF to 1B, but why Winker. Castellanos played 3B for a while and has experience in the IF. He's at least got some experience with ground balls coming at him. It also is a bigger help to the OF defense. It gets Naquin in the more important RF spot and Winker looks like a better OF than Castellanos to me.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 06:24 PM
I get the idea of moving an OF to 1B, but why Winker. Castellanos played 3B for a while and has experience in the IF. He's at least got some experience with ground balls coming at him. It alos is a bigger helpt to the OZF defense. It gets Naquin in the more important RF spot and Winker looks like a better OF than Castellanos to me.

I actually probably would put Cast there first, but IIRC he’s objected to playing it at all where Winker has mentioned being open to it.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Hell, put Naquin at first if you absolutely have to get his bat in the lineup. He’s the guy at the end of the roster fighting for a spot, I’m sure he could find the motivation to pick up the position pretty quickly and he’s not a particularly small dude either for a target there.

Or even put Senzel there, he’s a natural infielder anyway and that’s one less game of wear and tear of running around the outfield. Lots of preferable options out there compared to this one tbh!

04-09-2021, 06:29 PM
Blandino never played 1B until the Reds played him there in 2019.

That said, it’s far easier for an infielder to move there than a outfielder. I would actually move Cast there before Winker, he seems a tad more athletic.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 06:33 PM
All in all, this is a minor gripe, but I feel like this is a spot where the Cardinals would be forward thinking compared to the Reds. Votto can’t hit or field for the moment, he’s the obvious candidate to be benched if you need to get creative with a lineup, especially when it’s just for a few games until Naquin comes back to earth. And it’s just 1B, it doesn’t take an Ozzie Smith level defensive wizard to figure out how to play the position passably for a few games.

mth123
04-09-2021, 06:36 PM
I think it's what KC said about lefty bats killing this pitcher. Votto is also a lefty so leave him in. All the Reds OF have been hot, so a hot player was going to be benched with Winker coming back.

Kc61
04-09-2021, 06:44 PM
I looked over Widener’s minor league stats. I’d put aside 2019, when Widener was destroyed by all PCL hitting, 8.10 ERA. Otherwise he was tough on RHH. At AA, in 2018, he allowed .560 OPS against RHP v .707 against LHP.

Looking at the whole record, majors and minors, it strongly suggests Bell wants Naquin in there over Senzel in a L/R percentages play against this pitcher. He can’t substitute similarly in the IF - no LHH bench IFers.

This is just Bell’s style, he’s very much influenced by L/R percentages. I tend toward that as well so can’t complain much. I’m sure Nick will be back tomorrow and likely play at some point tonight as well.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 06:49 PM
This is just Bell’s style, he’s very much influenced by L/R percentages.

Yeah it’s one of the things I can’t stand about him lol, especially when it hasn’t ever especially worked out well as a strategy for him. This team has had an extremely hard time going on winning streaks as long as he’s been manager, and if I had to theorize, I’d guess pulling guys out of the lineup based on small sample size matchup plays is part of the reason why they’ve had issues getting on a roll. It’s one of the things that led to, say, Peraza getting starts over Winker in LF back in 2019.

Kc61
04-09-2021, 06:56 PM
Yeah it’s one of the things I can’t stand about him lol, especially when it hasn’t ever especially worked out well as a strategy for him. This team has had an extremely hard time going on winning streaks as long as he’s been manager, and if I had to theorize, I’d guess pulling guys out of the lineup based on small sample size matchup plays is part of the reason why they’ve had issues getting on a roll. It’s one of the things that led to, say, Peraza getting starts over Winker in LF back in 2019.

It’s a trade off. Continuity is important, play your best guys. But there are matchups that suggest using opposite handed hitters.

Notably he didn’t platoon RHH Castellanos, a high level established hitter. He has no LHH backup infielders. So his one move toward the percentage play is Naquin, who has been hot.

Assuming that’s what’s gong on, I’ll give Bell a pass - unless he does the same thing tomorrow. I understand why some feel differently - this guy isn’t Walter Johnson, just play your regular lineup.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 07:01 PM
It’s a trade off. Continuity is important, play your best guys. But there are matchups that suggest using opposite handed hitters.

Notably he didn’t platoon RHH Castellanos, a high level established hitter. He has no LHH backup infielders. So his one move toward the percentage play is Naquin, who has been hot.

Assuming that’s what’s gong on, I’ll give Bell a pass - unless he does the same thing tomorrow. I understand why some feel differently.

I see the logic in it, it just kinda rubs me the wrong way at this point because it seems like the hyper substitution managing style hasn’t worked out for Bell at all in his tenure.

I’d say one of the things that made Dusty such a successful manager in his time here was the level he went to minimize disruptions in the lineup on a daily basis. He seemed to know how to push all the right buttons to get the most out of guys and I’d guess that was one of the bigger contributing factors.

Kc61
04-09-2021, 07:06 PM
I see the logic in it, it just kinda rubs me the wrong way at this point because it seems like the hyper substitution managing style hasn’t worked out for Bell at all in his tenure.

I’d say one of the things that made Dusty such a successful manager in his time here was the level he went to minimize disruptions in the lineup on a daily basis. He seemed to know how to push all the right buttons to get the most out of guys and I’d guess that was one of the bigger contributing factors.

Yes. Dusty didn’t manage this way and he was darn successful. And it’s not as if this pitcher is Nolan Ryan requiring some special lineup.

I can see both points of view, but hopefully it results in a win, whether it’s the right move or wrong.

KeefeCato
04-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Is Naquin still swinging a hot bat though? Using these small sample sizes he is 0fer his last 4 with 3ks.

M2
04-09-2021, 07:23 PM
I would argue the elite pitchers are the ones for whom you don't juggle the lineup. Just go with your A lineup and take your best shot. It's the bad pitchers who have clear Achilles Heels. If the other team is going to serve up a pitcher who turns Tucker Barnhart into Ted Simmons, then accept the gift.

KeefeCato
04-09-2021, 07:40 PM
Our old buddy Johnny Cueto just went 8 2/3 innings today. Picked up a 3-1 win. He is in line to face the Reds on the last game of the Giant series.

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Yes. Dusty didn’t manage this way and he was darn successful.
People used to be driven crazy by Dusty's resting of certain guys on certain days, and by things like batting Miguel Cairo cleanup in place of Votto.

membengal
04-09-2021, 08:10 PM
People used to be driven crazy by Dusty's resting of certain guys on certain days, and by things like batting Miguel Cairo cleanup in place of Votto.

indeed. I can't tell, am I being gaslit?

wasn't "SS bats 2nd, dude" a running gag on this very board?

04-09-2021, 08:13 PM

Dusty played a set lineup most of the time, but would have scheduled days off for every player, all based on keeping everyone fresh through a 162 game season. It was quite different from what Bell does, which is constantly change the lineup.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 08:35 PM

I’ll cop to being one of those people, but looking at it in hindsight it seemed to be a good approach, Dusty always seemed to be able to get 110% out of his guys. In contrast, for at least 2019 and half of 2020, it seems like Bell’s teams play well below their apparent talent level and frequently seem to play flat or like they’re unprepared. Obviously we can’t know why that’s the case without being in the clubhouse, but if I had to make an educated guess, it seems like the all over the place approach to lineup making could be a culprit.

At the very least, it hasn’t been a winning approach to handling the team and I wish he’d adjust. Which in fairness, he kind of has for the most part this season.

PuffyPig
04-09-2021, 08:49 PM

You don’t make such drastic moves after a few games. Baseball is based on running a marathon, not a sprint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M2
04-09-2021, 09:12 PM
You don’t make such drastic moves after a few games. Baseball is based on running a marathon, not a sprint.

Sometimes I feel like we need a baseball primer. Something to remind people seasons last 162 games and games go nine innings.

Kc61
04-09-2021, 09:13 PM
Dusty played a set lineup most of the time, but would have scheduled days off for every player, all based on keeping everyone fresh through a 162 game season. It was quite different from what Bell does, which is constantly change the lineup.

Yeah, sometimes Dusty’s lineup changes were maddening. They didn’t always seem based on good strategy. But to his credit, over the course of the full regular season, he didn’t tinker too much and got good results.

Bell’s lineup changes are more active and very strategic; but the jury is out on how effective his style can be. Bell also uses set off days BTW.

Larkin90
04-09-2021, 09:15 PM

I can get on board with that, but man, it sure looks like Votto is done. He’s 37 years old and he’s fallen off a cliff.

The last 3 seasons he’s batted .284, .261, and .220 with OPS’ of .837, .768, and .800.

The 3 seasons prior to that, he batted .314, .326, and .320 with OPS’ of 1.000, .985, and 1.032.

If you break it down even further, what’s left of his OPS has largely been driven by walks the past 3 years. I see a guy who can’t really HIT the ball anymore and pitchers are going to start challenging him and those walks are going to dry up. I’ve been a huge fan of Votto for the last decade or so, but I’m a Reds’ fan first and this team REALLY needs to find a way to phase out his playing time. Somebody earlier mentioned putting Senzel at 1st...seems like a great idea to me. He’s a natural infielder and it would likely cut down on his injuries.

StRedlegs900
04-09-2021, 09:30 PM
I know I just woke up from a nap, but how long did I sleep? So the Reds are actually 1-5, and I dreamed their 5-1 start? People weren't proclaiming Senzel a walking injury and bust a week ago, and Tyler Naquin isn't the second coming of Babe Ruth now?

This must be some bizarro world. :p

zigbeenuthouse
04-09-2021, 09:30 PM
I can get on board with that, but man, it sure looks like Votto is done. He’s 37 years old and he’s fallen off a cliff.

The last 3 seasons he’s batted .284, .261, and .220 with OPS’ of .837, .768, and .800.

The 3 seasons prior to that, he batted .314, .326, and .320 with OPS’ of 1.000, .985, and 1.032.

If you break it down even further, what’s left of his OPS has largely been driven by walks the past 3 years. I see a guy who can’t really HIT the ball anymore and pitchers are going to start challenging him and those walks are going to dry up. I’ve been a huge fan of Votto for the last decade or so, but I’m a Reds’ fan first and this team REALLY needs to find a way to phase out his playing time. Somebody earlier mentioned putting Senzel at 1st...seems like a great idea to me. He’s a natural infielder and it would likely cut down on his injuries.

His place in the 3 hole is my gripe. Why not drop him till he shows he can produce? If he can't, well, you figured it out. He's had a great career and probably can play 2-3 more years, but at some point you have to recognize father time and the fact some players fade as they age and he sure seems to be moving that way. Drop him lower, rest him some, use as PH. It may extend him to finish his contract.

NCReds
04-09-2021, 09:34 PM
Welsh tonight?[emoji16]

membengal
04-09-2021, 09:41 PM
isn't that gone?

Reds Fanatic
Winker leadoff double. Just missed a HR

membengal
wow, top of fence. unlucky.

04-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Winker seems back to health.

Tom Servo
I think that was over the fence and bounced back off a chair or something

JFLegal
looks like a HR to me.

Reds Fanatic
isn't that gone?

Sure looks like a HR

membengal
it absoultely cleared the fence, actually, that should be a home run

ochoa30
Should be a homer for sure

membengal
why in the world are the chairs stacked like that?

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2021, 09:43 PM
It hit that chair

Kc61
The way Winker hit that ball, I’m glad lefty Naquin will get a couple of rips against this pitcher.

davereds24
why in the world are the chairs stacked like that?

No kidding, how does that happen?

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 09:44 PM
awww come on

Chairgate

Reds Fanatic
I don’t get replay at all

JFLegal
oh what complete BS. WTF were they looking at?

The Operator
MLB replay is such garbage.

That was a homer

membengal
that's pretty crappy.

ochoa30
Bad call

HammerTime
Wtf are we even doing if we can’t get that call right?

The Operator
Hit it a few rows deeper, Cast

Kc61
Gee, and Reds aren’t even playing the Cards or Cubs.

Can’t get a call against the DBacks?

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 09:45 PM
welsh stupidly says a double can be better than a leadoff HR. yeah, except when he doesn't score. what a joke.

and how the hell did MLB miss that replay? was clear as day.

davereds24
If if ran out of the box it's 1-0 now though.

TheBigLebowski
You cannot blow that call. The laws of physics don’t allow for the ball to bounce that way if it hits the top of a fence coming from the opposite direction.

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 09:46 PM
So the rule must be that you can hit it over the fence for a HR but not to a part of the stadium with an object over the fence that would cause the ball to come back in, huh

mhs95_06
That is pathetic if they can't clearly see that hit the chair and was a HR! The 2nd game in a row the Reds should have taken the lead on the first pitch to their lead-off hitter.

Wonderful Monds
Whew man those DBacks jerseys are bad

NC Reds
Replay is a joke. Pathetic.

membengal
04-09-2021, 09:47 PM
Does welsh still think not scoring a run is better than scoring a run?

JFLegal
the magic bullet theory makes more sense than that call in terms of physics.

The Operator
Now it’s down to Geno

Would be a great time for him to bust out of his slump

That’s a run if Cast had a productive out.

Coopdaddy67
That was a home run and I have no idea how they couldn't see it.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Does welsh still think not scoring a run is better than scoring a run?

you know who would never say that?

barry larkin.

:evil:

mhs95_06
04-09-2021, 09:49 PM
You cannot blow that call. The laws of physics don’t allow for the ball to bounce that way if it hits the top of a fence coming from the opposite direction.

It happens relatively frequently with the now soft pillow padding in the top of the fences.

membengal
04-09-2021, 09:50 PM
Suarez is all kinds of lost right now.

Tom Servo
The whole season went down the drain the night they robbed Winker of his leadoff HR

KronoRed
Who runs the replay? is it other umps? I can see them intentionally sandbagging it and keeping bad calls to make it look bad and their guys look good.

Reds Fanatic
Geno strikes out looking on a pitch right down the middle.

The Operator
Geno how do you take that

Ugh

mhs95_06
The bad break that will start the season going south?

Wonderful Monds
Blah

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 09:51 PM
malpractice on the part of MLB. missing that live? understandable. missing that with the benefit of replay? would love to hear a rational explanation. and don't even say replay wasn't clear. it was crystal clear. 100% a home run. what a goddamn farce.

Wonderful Monds
Who runs the replay? is it other umps? I can see them intentionally sandbagging it and keeping bad calls to make it look bad and their guys look good.

MLB umpires really are the cops of all pro sports leagues

Larry Schuler
Edit: I’m on a delay it seems.

JFLegal
Geno strikes out looking on a pitch right down the middle.

i bet if he got to see it on replay he wouldn't have missed it. should be 1-0 reds. MLB is a joke.

Kc61
04-09-2021, 09:52 PM
The adjustment away from GABP rears its ugly head once more.

Long drive, stays in the park (supposedly), Reds not able to knock the run in.

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 09:53 PM
The adjustment away from GABP rears its ugly head once more.

Long drive, stays in the park (supposedly), Reds not able to knock the run in.
ok but it was one inning let’s give it at least this game before the running with these takes

TheBigLebowski
Suarez is consistent. Struggling at bat as well as SS.

The Operator

Yea, it is other umps as far as I know.

You’ve got a bad ump on the field blowing a call. So what do you do? Call up Joe West and tell him “put your glasses on and squint into the TV” and he’s probably gonna blow it too even when he gets to see it slow mo ten times over again.

And yea, I could totally see them purposely missing calls out of defiance of replay.

MLB umps are petty children. How many times have we seen them ring batters up because they started walking to first base on an obvious ball before the ump called it?

Red Raindog
04-09-2021, 09:54 PM
Tonight I find my iPad with VPN, my iPhone with a different VPN and my laptop with a different VPN are all not able to avoid the blackout.

Sigh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kc61
04-09-2021, 09:55 PM
ok but it was one inning let’s give it at least this game before the running with these takes

Most baseball events happen in “one inning.” That’s a run that scores in GABP and not on the road.

zigbeenuthouse
04-09-2021, 09:55 PM
Suarez will get going. I am not sure on Votto.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 09:56 PM
Chris Welsh paraphrasing the hit song Tubthumping by Chumbawumba

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 09:58 PM
Tonight I find my iPad with VPN, my iPhone with a different VPN and my laptop with a different VPN are all not able to avoid the blackout.

Sigh

of all things, stupid MLB got smart about blocking VPNs.

TheBigLebowski
Most baseball events happen in “one inning.” That’s a run that scores in GABP and not on the road.

Just do as he says. He’ll let you know when an acceptable amount of time has passed. Then you can express your thoughts and opinions.

The Operator

Things like that will always be a problem in one direction or another unless MLB forces teams to conform to one outfield depth.

So far the offense has been much more hit-centric than they were last year, at least to my naked eye.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 09:59 PM
Man it’s crazy, if you had a guy like Mahle throwing 98 in like 2005, he’d be an instant top 10 prospect in baseball

JFLegal

that's a run that did count on the road. just someone had their head up their rear end in new york. clearly was a home run.

HammerTime
Mahle 98!

Larry Schuler
Chris Welsh paraphrasing the hit song Tubthumping by Chumbawumba

The Reds only get what they give and, although they look sad in photographs, I absolutely love it when they smile.

HammerTime
It was a HR.

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:00 PM

Also, that *was* a home run. Umps missed it.

JFLegal
why did sadak call that walk like it was a bases loaded walk? calm down there dude.

Wonderful Monds
Boooooooooooooo

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:01 PM
lol this home plate ump

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 10:01 PM
Wish he'd just attacked Walker because Peralta is dangerous here.

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:03 PM
Rally killer comment aside, it just feels right having Chris back in the booth tonight.

Kc61
Things like that will always be a problem in one direction or another unless MLB forces teams to conform to one outfield depth.

So far the offense has been much more hit-centric than they were last year, at least to my naked eye.

Yes but Reds had 14 homers in that first home stand. Still a big part of their game.

All teams have to adjust to road stadiums. Reds’ adjustment is a bit more difficult and it shows up in some spots in games.

Wonderful Monds
Hmm yes this is the Tyler Mahle I remember

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 10:04 PM
Rally killer comment aside, it just feels right having Chris back in the booth tonight.
And he's right about Mahle's nibbling, a chronic problem.

Red Raindog
of all things, stupid MLB got smart about blocking VPNs.

Yup

And the only option is direct tv but I don’t think I will go there

The Operator
Jeez Mahle

STOP NIBBLING

Rojo Rijo
04-09-2021, 10:05 PM
Nibbling when you can pump 98? Good grief Tyler

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:05 PM
jeez, getting an early lead can be so good. i'm salty the idiot replay officials missed that obvious HR. how does that even happen?

- - - Updated - - -

pitching with a lead would have helped mahle too.

Larry Schuler
04-09-2021, 10:06 PM
We need less Tyler Mahle and more Tyler Bienhe.

mhs95_06
Nibbling when you can pump 98? Good grief Tyler

Pitching in GABP trained him like that.

JFLegal
these umpires can go fly a kite. you idiots owe us a makeup call.

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2021, 10:07 PM
Already a 30 pitch inning

Wonderful Monds
4th starter at best

The Operator
Lol he’s about to walk them loaded

Coopdaddy67
Suarez will get going. I am not sure on Votto.

Honestly, I don't know how you're confident about Suarez and not optimistic about Votto right now. Coming off Coronavirus and a shortened ST, he's hitting the ball hard and on a line. That one came off his bat at 106. If he keeps doing that, good things are going to happen.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:08 PM
nice catch jesse! hell yes!

Wonderful Monds
“Velo” is one of my absolute biggest baseball announcer pet peeves

Reds Fanatic
Nice catch by Winker!

Tom Servo
Cheers to Wink!

Jeers to Mahle.

The Operator
Winker saves Mahle’s ass

No score after 1

Winker going for the Gold Glove this year.

Larry Schuler
04-09-2021, 10:09 PM
That ball did not fall in!

2021 Reds baseball is wild.

TheBigLebowski
Great play Winky

JFLegal
Winker going for the Gold Glove this year.

did he wave at the crowd though?

Wonderful Monds
Winker showing those former centerfielder chops

adkindo
04-09-2021, 10:11 PM
worked on his speed? A player is not really going to improve his speed @ 27 years old. He can improve his recognition and response....and his angles taken, but not a ton one can do about straight line speed at that age.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 10:12 PM
Man I didn’t even register how much that looks like a normal baseball stadium crowd there

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:13 PM
I either didn’t know or had forgotten that Mike Bell died.

Covid?

Tom Servo
worked on his speed? A player is not really going to improve his speed @ 27 years old. He can improve his recognition and response....and his angles taken, but not a ton one can do about straight line speed at that age.
Wrong he’s faster now, it’s science.

JFLegal
now thanks to that botched call this pitcher has settled in. inexcusable for MLB to miss such an obvious call with the benefit of replay.

Wonderful Monds

Covid?

Cancer

JFLegal

Covid?

no, cancer.

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 10:14 PM

Covid?
Kidney cancer

The Operator
Cancer

Oh, damn. That sucks.

I feel like I can just remember him and Bell exchanging lineups in Minnesota. Maybe that was 2019 though.

JFLegal
alright, screw it, let's go.

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 10:16 PM
Let’s go johnny indianapolis

adkindo
will we ever find out what the ump told Bell in regards to that HR that was called a double?

Reds Fanatic
Reds go down 1-2-3 in the 2nd

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 10:18 PM
I wonder how often those self parking cars back into another one while they’re doing their whole deal there

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:18 PM
will we ever find out what the ump told Bell in regards to that HR that was called a double?

they'll lie and say it was inconclusive, even though it was as "conclusive" as could possibly be.

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:19 PM

“Sorry Dave, we’ve only got standard res 27” TV’s in New York”.

Coopdaddy67
04-09-2021, 10:20 PM

Bell: Who's in charge of the review back in NYC?

Umpire: Angel Hernandez.

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:20 PM
Another full count

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:21 PM
nice K right there from mahle.

adkindo
04-09-2021, 10:21 PM
they'll lie and say it was inconclusive, even though it was as "conclusive" as could possibly be.

I just would like to know how they think it could bounce back without hitting that chair

0-2 Count
04-09-2021, 10:23 PM
What's the record for foul balls through 2 innings?

The Operator
We’ll be lucky to get 4 innings out of Mahle at this rate.

JFLegal
I just would like to know how they think it could bounce back without hitting that chair

that's the thing, it would be impossible. also, you can clearly see the ball go over the yellow (top) part of the wall. just astonishing you can miss that with the benefit of replay. live? very easy to see how it could be missed. but MLB somehow missed this even while using replay. let's hope it doesn't cost the reds a W.

- - - Updated - - -

another K for mahle.

adkindo
04-09-2021, 10:25 PM
We’ll be lucky to get 4 innings out of Mahle at this rate.

Miley would be in the 4th inning

0-2 Count
04-09-2021, 10:26 PM
This is difficult to watch.

Reds Fanatic
3rd walk already

The Operator
Another walk

JFLegal
momentum is a hell of a thing in sports. if that home run is called correctly, who knows. instead, here we are with this nonsense, still no score and mahle racking up pitches.

but tyler strikes out the side.

Tom Servo
Think Mahle will get to 5 but that’s way too often his ceiling.

RedsLvr
Good thing our bullpen is rested. We may finally see a game that Bell has to manage.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:28 PM
Good thing our bullpen is rested. We may finally see a game that Bell has to manage.

antone nation.

VR
04-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Mahle's count may be up there but at least he's controlled the damage. Sometimes pitchers have off nights. Let's hope the 3rd is a quickie for him. 2.57 earnie.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Think Mahle will get to 5 but that’s way too often his ceiling.

yeah, it's not like he's great when he goes deep into games anyway. if he can go just 4 innings and not give up any runs, i'll take it for sure.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:31 PM
oooh, sadak reporting musgrove has a no-no through 7. isn't there a rule against that? lol. (wait, did i just break it too?)

double for tucker!

Kc61
04-09-2021, 10:32 PM
Barnhart at second. Looking for a hit. If not, a make up call.

JaxRed
04-09-2021, 10:33 PM
That didn't seem like the most well defended double...

JFLegal
nice sac bunt mahle.

VR
Votto and Suarez OpS combined currently not as good as any of the other starters. :beerme:

JaxRed
04-09-2021, 10:34 PM
Glad Widener ignored his catcher.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:35 PM
bam! 1-0 reds!

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2021, 10:36 PM
Winker singles in a run. 2nd hit tonight

The Operator
Winker!!!

1-0 Reds!

Tom Servo
small ball!

Kc61
Winker, nice at bat.

The Operator
Winker singles in a run. 2nd hit tonight

Should be his second RBI

Tom Servo
04-09-2021, 10:39 PM
I wanna see Castellanos or Moose hit one into the pool this series

adkindo
04-09-2021, 10:40 PM
If there was a poll of Reds fans done by the Enquirer or some legit local media organization in regards to "favorite Reds player".....who would win?

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 10:41 PM
If there was a poll of Reds fans done by the Enquirer or some legit local media organization in regards to "favorite Reds player".....who would win?

At the moment? Castellanos or India

JaxRed
04-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Wow if Joey could shoot it down third.....

adkindo
04-09-2021, 10:42 PM
At the moment? Castellanos or India

that is what I was wondering....with a mix of hardcore and average fans, it would no longer be Joey?

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:43 PM
that is what I was wondering....with a mix of hardcore and average fans, it would no longer be Joey?

Heck, it’s been pretty trendy to be anti-Votto since at least 2012 when he signed the contract and Marty decided he didn’t hit enough homers, walked too much and didn’t drive in enough runs.

ScotlandRed
04-09-2021, 10:44 PM

Winker for me.

JFLegal
mahle with 4 straight Ks.

The Operator
Winker for me.

Castillo and Gray are way up the list for me.

Former pitcher here.

JaxRed
04-09-2021, 10:45 PM
Generous third strike there

VR
San Diego three outs away from their first ever.........

JFLegal
get through 5, turn it over to tejay ... then dance the jig.

mhs95_06
Mahle gets a break with that strike 3 call!

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 10:46 PM
Every time a dude doesn’t use batting gloves, I always wonder if they piss on their hands like ol Moises Alou

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:46 PM
San Diego three outs away from their first ever.........

first ever what? ;)

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:47 PM
first ever what? ;)

NO HITTER.

Musgrove is a former Astro, to heck with him. :)

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:47 PM
speaking of such things, if he can throw 200 pitches, mahle is still in line for a no-no.

mhs95_06
04-09-2021, 10:48 PM
Musgrove only has 103 pitches going into the 9th.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:49 PM
another K for mahle. headed to the 4th, reds lead 1-0.

membengal
Mahle settled in now.

JFLegal
Musgrove only has 103 pitches going into the 9th.

he up to something?

VR
:laugh:

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:50 PM
Well, Mahle may have finally settled in. Hopefully they can get him through five.

1-0 Reds after 3

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:52 PM
Lol Sadak fooled badly on that routine fly out

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 10:52 PM
lol, sadak just pulled a thom thinking a routine fly ball was a home run off the bat.

but he did not say any slurs, so that's different.

- - - Updated - - -

musgrove just needs one more.

membengal
04-09-2021, 10:54 PM
First ever No hitter in Padres history. And musgrove is from
San Diego. Very cool.

Reds Fanatic
Joe Musgrove just threw the 1st no hitter in Padres history

The Operator
Well I’ll be damned, Musgrove finishes the no-no

JFLegal
tyler NAQUIN big fly

Reds Fanatic
Naquin is on fire!

The Operator
Naquin!!!!!!

2-0 Reds!!!!!

adkindo
Do we have 2 punishers?

membengal
Folks still big mad Naquin started?

Mitri
That's why you keep Naquin the lineup. Smoked.

Kc61
I guess Bell had an idea what he was doing with Naquin tonight.

zigbeenuthouse
Naquin with a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!! 2-0 REDS

Wonderful Monds
04-09-2021, 10:55 PM
Jesus Christ dude

0-2 Count
Need to look at replay.

Kc61
Reds with four hits tonight, all by their LHH.

JFLegal
Folks still big mad Naquin started?

"save big madness at menards!"

TheBigLebowski
What IS Tyler Naquin, specifically? An android? A cheat code?

Mitri
04-09-2021, 10:56 PM
113 mph EV

RiverRat13
Absolute bomb

JFLegal
nick krall is smoking a cigar and playing "how you like me now"? somewhere with a robe on.

M2
04-09-2021, 10:57 PM
Naquin!!!!!!

2-0 Reds!!!!!

Tyler the Destroyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDba1FqPtdA

The Operator
Daaaamn India almost went out oppo

RiverRat13
Would have been out in GABP

JaxRed
04-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Is Naquin still swinging a hot bat though? Using these small sample sizes he is 0fer his last 4 with 3ks.

Yes.

M2
04-09-2021, 10:59 PM
nick krall is smoking a cigar and playing "how you like me now"? somewhere with a robe on.

I think he's got that robe open.

The Operator
04-09-2021, 10:59 PM
The curse of Chris Welsh hahahaha

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 11:00 PM
did welsh just say tatis was lost for the year? cause, he's way wrong. lol.

mhs95_06
04-09-2021, 11:01 PM
Jim Day, Padres did not come into being in the NL in 1961.

The Operator

Yea I hadn’t heard anything like that either

He sort of corrected himself by saying “if they operate” but yea, I certainly had not heard he was out for the year.

JFLegal
jeez tyler, challenge 'em with no one on base. bad walk there.

The Operator
And just as soon as we say Mahle settles in he goes full and walks a guy.

JFLegal
Yea I hadn’t heard anything like that either

He sort of corrected himself by saying “if they operate” but yea, I certainly had not heard he was out for the year.

chris was talking out of his arse there lol

Kc61
04-09-2021, 11:03 PM

Yeah, caught that too.

Mahle needs a DP this inning. He’s at 76 pitches, no outs, fourth inning. Could be a short night in terms of IP.

JaxRed
04-09-2021, 11:03 PM
I think he's got that robe open.

He's mansplaining how he put the Reds together this year.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 11:04 PM
how the HELL is that not a strikeout???

The Operator
That was strike 3

JFLegal
poetic justice. azzdribble pops up on the next pitch. one down.

The Operator
04-09-2021, 11:05 PM
I’ll be shocked if this isn’t Tyler’s last inning.

83 pitches one out into the fourth.

JFLegal
04-09-2021, 11:06 PM
another K from mahle. two down.

The Operator
Got him! 2 down

VR
112 pitches for Musgrove's no-no. Mahle may be there after 4 with his.

mhs95_06
04-09-2021, 11:07 PM
Mahle getting some breaks, now a K on a cement mixer slider.