4. Javier Baez (R) SS
5. Michael Conforto (L) RF
6. Brandon Drury (R) 3B
7. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
8. Tomas Nido (R) C
9. Marcus Stroman (R) P

Wonderful Monds
08-01-2021, 09:55 AM
They have an off day tomorrow, sitting Votto today seems very stupid and very Bell like. Especially after he botched last night’s game.

Kilgore_Trout
08-01-2021, 09:59 AM
At this point, every single game is as close to a must win as you can get. Having Naquin and Schrock in the same starting lineup is just gross.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 10:01 AM
They have an off day tomorrow, sitting Votto today seems very stupid and very Bell like. Especially after he botched last night’s game.

Votto has carried this team since the Allstar Break and just had one of the greatest weeks a player has every had. He's also 37 years old and can probably use an extra day off.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 10:02 AM
At this point, every single game is as close to a must win as you can get. Having Naquin and Schrock in the same starting lineup is just gross.

This isn't the NFL, as much as people want to think it is. They still have 57 games to play, or basically the same number of games they played all of last season.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 10:04 AM
Sit your hottest hitter. OK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Operator
08-01-2021, 10:08 AM
If you feel Votto needs a day off, why not put one of Barnhart or Stephenson at first?

Max Schrock? Really? Aye aye aye

5-9 in the lineup is gonna be pretty brutal, especially considering The Mets have Stroman going.

wvreds
08-01-2021, 10:13 AM
Nothing says playoff push like Max Schrock playing 1st and batting 5th. David Bell is a clown

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 10:15 AM
So if the brainiac insists on giving his hottest hitter the day off during one of the hottest streaks of his career, at least play Stephenson at first and catch Tucker....”but no, I’ll bat Max Schrock 5th.”

Kilgore_Trout
08-01-2021, 10:24 AM
This isn't the NFL, as much as people want to think it is. They still have 57 games to play, or basically the same number of games they played all of last season.

7 game deficit in the central, and 4 games behind a very talented Padres team for the final WC spot. I maintain that these games are as close to must win as you can get.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 10:27 AM
I mean, if you’re gonna wave the towel today, Just start “Doo” and let him take one for the team.

JCM11
08-01-2021, 10:28 AM
I don't have a problem with giving Votto a day off, but man that's a rough looking lineup. Can't wait for Cast, Moose, Senzel, and Barrero to be added to the roster.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 10:28 AM
7 game deficit in the central, and 4 games behind a very talented Padres team for the final WC spot. I maintain that these games are as close to must win as you can get.

So regulars shouldn't get anymore days off until they get caught up? That seems like a good way to wear out your team, but ok.

The Operator
08-01-2021, 10:31 AM
So regulars shouldn't get anymore days off until they get caught up? That seems like a good way to wear out your team, but ok.

I’m much less upset by Votto getting a day off than I am by his replacement being Max Schrock and not one of Barnhart or Stephenson.

Do not understand that at all.

Alabama Red
08-01-2021, 10:32 AM
You have to play your best players at this point. A tired Votto is better than anybody we have on the bench fully rested. It would be different in Cast was playing and Moose could play first. We’ve got too many guys out and too far out in the standings to be resting people.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 10:33 AM

You don’t sit a guy that’s on one of the hottest streaks of his career unless he’s sick or hurt when you have a day off on Monday. That’s just the epitome of stupid. You can defend it if you like.

JaxRed
08-01-2021, 10:35 AM
I'll be posting here. Maybe by myself. Feel free to try it.

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php?topic=40.0

Ron Madden
08-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Lance McAlister
@LanceMcAlister
I believe that is Votto's first day off since June 22........33 straight starts.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 10:41 AM

I joined a few days back...

Kilgore_Trout
08-01-2021, 10:41 AM
I’m much less upset by Votto getting a day off than I am by his replacement being Max Schrock and not one of Barnhart or Stephenson.

Do not understand that at all.

This is where I’m at. I understand Votto needs to be rested at times (though quite a bit more painful with him being the hottest hitter on the team atm), but as someone else mentioned, why not Stephenson at first and Tucker behind the plate? That’s a much better combo than what we got.

Larry Schuler
08-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Bell didn’t want to get blamed for another loss, so he put together this lineup.

Wonderful Monds
08-01-2021, 10:45 AM

Why lol

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 10:46 AM
You hear everyone lauding Joey’s physical conditioning. I agree. He looks great. He’s playing great. He looks to have spring in his step. His bat is as hot as it has ever been. You need to win every game that you can at this point. He has a day off on Monday. I know what I’d be doing...

JaxRed
08-01-2021, 10:48 AM
Why lol

Because you won't be there?

Strikes Out Looking
08-01-2021, 10:50 AM
You only sit Votto if Votto asks to be sat.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 10:51 AM
This is where I’m at. I understand Votto needs to be rested at times (though quite a bit more painful with him being the hottest hitter on the team atm), but as someone else mentioned, why not Stephenson at first and Tucker behind the plate? That’s a much better combo than what we got.

That's an entirely different argument, and I agree with this one.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 10:54 AM
Wow, people really can't handle a 162 game season without going bat**** crazy.

Wonderful Monds
08-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Because you won't be there?

Cool man, have fun talking to yourself

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 11:00 AM
Wow, people really can't handle a 162 game season without going bat**** crazy.

No, people can’t handle sitting a guy who is arguably on the hottest streak of his career.

Coopdaddy67
08-01-2021, 11:08 AM
You don’t sit a guy that’s on one of the hottest streaks of his career unless he’s sick or hurt when you have a day off on Monday. That’s just the epitome of stupid. You can defend it if you like.

He's 38 years old and apparently started 33 straight games.

Giving him 2 days to rest is a pretty understandable decision when they're going to need him down the stretch.

AG Slater
08-01-2021, 11:10 AM
How can any of these players feel confident with Bell as their coach? I sure wouldn't .

AG Slater
08-01-2021, 11:13 AM

And I can guarantee he didn't and was prob pissed he is not playing. If I'm a captain which Votto mostly is I am talking with Bell.

0-2 Count
08-01-2021, 11:13 AM
Votto has carried this team since the Allstar Break and just had one of the greatest weeks a player has every had. He's also 37 years old and can probably use an extra day off.

Pete Rose played 162 games at the age of 41. At 38, he played 163 games and hit .331 for the season.

Votto does not need a day off. This is a horrendous move by Bell in the midst of a pennant race.

redsfan9988
08-01-2021, 11:14 AM
To be fair, we do have Schrock ready there.

0-2 Count
08-01-2021, 11:14 AM

Which has a .000000000000001 chance of happening.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 11:15 AM

Giving him 2 days to rest is a pretty understandable decision when they're going to need him down the stretch.

Hot isn’t something you can turn on and off as a hitter. They need what he is giving them “right now,” particularly with Castellanos, Moustakas, and Senzel out. There’s no guarantee and it’s improbable that he can continue to give them this kind of production down the stretch. Slumps can happen as quickly as hot streaks. Ride it while it’s there. Two days off not seeing live pitching is not usually a good thing for a hot hitter.

KeefeCato
08-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Lost in all the votto talk. Stroman just faced the Reds recently. Pitchers usually have a hard time beating a team twice in short time periods. Weak lineups or not. Win today and win this series.
If the team is behind. I am sure Votto will pinch hit in a big spot.

Ron Madden
08-01-2021, 11:21 AM
The Mets lineup has been added to the original post. Kick back, relax, and try to enjoy the game.

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 11:22 AM

bell is the smartest baseball man in the world and he knows it. how dare you question him.

Coopdaddy67
08-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Hot isn’t something you can turn on and off as a hitter. They need what he is giving them “right now,” particularly with Castellanos, Moustakas, and Senzel out. There’s no guarantee and it’s improbable that he can continue to give them this kind of production down the stretch. Slumps can happen as quickly as hot streaks. Ride it while it’s there. Two days off not seeing live pitching is not usually a good thing for a hot hitter.

They need him to be as dominant as he has been the past 40+ games down the stretch. As I said, he's nearly 38 years old and you can't run him into the ground. Now he gets a chance to clear his head after a draining week, relax and prepare for the upcoming homestand.

Some of you are just wanting to find things to whine about.

Also, I guarantee you if Votto was adamantly opposed to this decision, he'd be in the lineup today.

Pete Rose played 162 games at the age of 41. At 38, he played 163 games and hit .331 for the season.

Votto does not need a day off. This is a horrendous move by Bell in the midst of a pennant race.

Baseball is a little different now than it was 40 years ago.

Nobody is ever going to break Ripken's streak for a reason.

redsfan9988
08-01-2021, 11:24 AM
I’m not super worried about it. Stroman is their best active SP, and Vlad is our worst and we’re on the road. This is one of our most likely losses on paper for quite awhile. We also have an off day tomorrow and then 6 games against the Twins and Pirates. There’s plenty of time to make up ground, and we’ll want Votto healthy for that.

Plus… we just don’t know. Maybe he’s banged up or sick or something. Until Bell is asked about it and says, “well, it was Schrock’s day to play” or something ridiculous like that, then by all means criticize away.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 11:26 AM

Pete Rose was taking greenies and probably snorting coke while banging 15 year old girls, so I don't really care what he did.

Larry Schuler
08-01-2021, 11:27 AM
See you all soon at schulertalkinredswithfriends.com.

KeefeCato
08-01-2021, 11:27 AM

Rose did not start 6 times in 1976. Only came into game late as a PH or as a Defensive replacement. He did appear in every game.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 11:30 AM
They need him to be as dominant as he has been the past 40+ games down the stretch. As I said, he's nearly 38 years old and you can't run him into the ground. Now he gets a chance to clear his head after a draining week, relax and prepare for the upcoming homestand.

Also, I guarantee you if Votto was adamantly opposed to this decision, he'd be in the lineup today.

And you are the purveyor of baseball knowledge for today’s game...Gotcha.[emoji23]

Big Klu
08-01-2021, 11:32 AM

I don't understand why the Reds don't go into "Settings", toggle off "Fatigue" and "Injuries", and play their best eight position players all the time. It works for me on the PS5.

Coopdaddy67
08-01-2021, 11:38 AM
And you are the purveyor of baseball knowledge for today’s game...Gotcha.[emoji23]

Nope, just a guy that understands that Joey Votto's dealt with multiple injuries (both minor and IL-worthy) over the past several seasons, is 38 years old and that players wear down during the year.

Ron Madden
08-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Charlie Goldsmith
@CharlieG__
·
2m
This is the first I’ve seen Castellanos swing since he went on the IL.

Castellanos is already hitting homers.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Excellent news!

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 11:42 AM
Nope, just a guy that understands that Joey Votto's dealt with multiple injuries (both minor and IL-worthy) over the past several seasons, is 38 years old and that players wear down during the year.

But..but..Pete Rose!

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 11:43 AM

Do you understand he has a day off on Monday?

Wonderful Monds
08-01-2021, 11:44 AM

I’m looking at things on a series to series basis right now. They really need to win this game and series after Bell blew last night’s in embarrassing fashion. They’re already at a disadvantage throwing Vlad against Stroman. Putting Schrock in there to get mowed down a handful of times doesn’t really help that effort.

If he really needs back to back off days, then I would sit him Tuesday when the Reds are at more of an advantage throwing Mahle against Maeda and a much worse Twins team.

Big Klu
08-01-2021, 11:44 AM

He isn't that hot. He didn't even hit a homer last night.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2021, 11:45 AM
Watch Schrock go 3 for 4 with a home run.

That's usually how these things turn out.

Coopdaddy67
08-01-2021, 11:45 AM
Do you understand he has a day off on Monday?

Yeah, I referenced that in my initial reply.

Please continue talking down to people though, it amuses me.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I referenced that in my initial reply.

Please continue talking down to people though, it amuses me.

It’s amusing when people treat you the way you treat them, isn’t it?

NebraskaRed
08-01-2021, 11:52 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0IyhwEfKdNoUZ1ni/giphy.gif

The emperor approves of the anger from last night bleeding into today's game thread.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 11:52 AM

You seem fun.

Coopdaddy67
08-01-2021, 11:53 AM
I’m looking at things on a series to series basis right now. They really need to win this game and series after Bell blew last night’s in embarrassing fashion. They’re already at a disadvantage throwing Vlad against Stroman. Putting Schrock in there to get mowed down a handful of times doesn’t really help that effort.

If he really needs back to back off days, then I would sit him Tuesday when the Reds are at more of an advantage throwing Mahle against Maeda and a much worse Twins team.

It's not just back-to-back off days, it's about avoiding him playing 12 hours later. As I said previously, he's coming off a draining week and Bell previously suggested he needed to give him a break before he went on this run.

Votto and Bell probably talked about it.

Also, Votto's 1-7 against Stroman all-time. He's 3-8 w/ a HR against Maeda.

Coopdaddy67
08-01-2021, 11:55 AM

I've yet to talk down to others here and proceed to call everyone here "jackass's" on another board like you did 30 minutes ago...

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 12:00 PM
I've yet to talk down to others here and proceed to call everyone here "jackass's" on another board like you did 30 minutes ago...

As if I’m not aware of Votto’s age, injury history and such...press on. If the description fits...feel free to wear it...it won’t fit everyone.

Big Klu
08-01-2021, 12:04 PM
Rose did not start 6 times in 1976. Only came into game late as a PH or as a Defensive replacement. He did appear in every game.

What a slacker!

Ironman92
08-01-2021, 12:08 PM

Votto has had great help in winning these games and it’s silly to ignore what Winker, Farmer, India, Stephenson have some time and time again….yes Joey’s been the best since then but those guys have been nothing short of great.

I’m ok with Votto’s day off IF he was ok with it….but yes want him in there for sure.

AG Slater
08-01-2021, 12:09 PM
I’m not super worried about it. Stroman is their best active SP, and Vlad is our worst and we’re on the road. This is one of our most likely losses on paper for quite awhile. We also have an off day tomorrow and then 6 games against the Twins and Pirates. There’s plenty of time to make up ground, and we’ll want Votto healthy for that.

Plus… we just don’t know. Maybe he’s banged up or sick or something. Until Bell is asked about it and says, “well, it was Schrock’s day to play” or something ridiculous like that, then by all means criticize away.

I guess last night was a loss on paper that's Bells excuse for Doolittle

Ironman92
08-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Regardless of the lineup I was taking today off after last night. That was the worst I can remember and for no reason…simply none.

Good Luck today Reds and hope you guys have a great thread.

Kc61
08-01-2021, 12:15 PM

I can’t comment on why rest Joey today. Maybe he’s tired. Or maybe it’s totally arbitrary or pre-planned.

But on balance he should be resting more than he does. On those days you can catch Barnhart and put Tyler Stephenson at first. Hard to believe Joey doesn’t need more days off.

Thisyear
08-01-2021, 12:19 PM
You seem fun.

As you seem like a homer, who can't accept reality.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 12:21 PM
I can’t comment on why rest Joey today. Maybe he’s tired. Or maybe it’s totally arbitrary or pre-planned.

But on balance he should be resting more than he does. On those days you can catch Barnhart and put Tyler Stephenson at first. Hard to believe Joey doesn’t need more days off.

I think you can attribute it to his work ethic on keeping his body healthy. All 38 year olds are not alike. I am friends, and coached with a guy who played with Cal Ripken for a while during his record chase...he said that he was the first in the clubhouse every day and the last to leave. His exercise regimen, strong mind, and genetics were the reasons that he was able to play all those games.

Kc61
08-01-2021, 12:25 PM
I think you can attribute it to his work ethic on keeping his body healthy. All 38 year olds are not alike. I am friends, and coached with a guy who played with Cal Ripken for a while during his record chase...he said that he was the first in the clubhouse every day and the last to leave. His exercise regimen, strong mind, and genetics were the reasons that he was able to play all those games.

Fair point. You can’t judge everyone by chronological age. And Joey plays first base, not CF for example.

But still, I’d like to see him begin to take more days off or, if it returns, DH sometimes. I can’t help but think that as he gets older it will help. Few of us can defeat Father Time.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 12:26 PM
As you seem like a homer, who can't accept reality.

The bullpen has been an absolute **** show, but the Reds are still a good team and have played over .600 since Memorial Day. That's the reality.

If you want to be miserable, that's a you problem.

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 12:28 PM
Starting to think Castellini has executed Order 66.

Thisyear
08-01-2021, 12:30 PM
The bullpen has been an absolute **** show, but the Reds are still a good team and have played over .600 since Memorial Day. That's the reality.

If you want to be miserable, that's a you problem.

I'm not miserable but thanks. Everytime someone says something negative, you have something smart to say. I don't mind homers, but not everyone has that mindset. I can live in reality, complain if I don't agree with moves, and still enjoy the game. I agree sitting Votto is a terrible move with an off day tomorrow. That doesn't make you anymore of a fan for defending the move.

RiverRat13
08-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Found the footage of Bell's Doolittle decision last night.

https://youtu.be/abq9Y7YVDWA

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 12:34 PM
I'm not miserable but thanks. Everytime someone says something negative, you have something smart to say. I don't mind homers, but not everyone has that mindset. I can live in reality, complain if I don't agree with moves, and still enjoy the game. I agree sitting Votto is a terrible move with an off day tomorrow. That doesn't make you anymore of a fan for defending the move.

So I guess I can't have an opinion? Am I not supposed to reply to those? **** off with that.

Moose Herd
08-01-2021, 12:35 PM
Oh no, I'm optimistic about the team. The absolute horror!

Thisyear
08-01-2021, 12:43 PM
Oh no, I'm optimistic about the team. The absolute horror!

As I said, I have no problems with homers. I do find it quite annoying when someone who is realistic or don't agree with every move to totally dismiss their opinions and call them negative. Not every negative opinion is people trolling or being miserable. It is called living in reality.

To be clear I am talking about negative opinions not the people who say the season is over after every loss or try to make people miserable.

RollyInRaleigh
08-01-2021, 12:45 PM

Amazing how some feel free to make assumptions about you, isn’t it...but then don’t like the same kind of treatment and play the victim card. I feel pretty much the same as you. I have a thick skin having coached baseball for over 30 years. Baseball is full of opinions...many better than others.

Alf_Red_E
08-01-2021, 12:59 PM
I realize there has been a lot of banter over who is a homer and who isn't... but I'm going out on a limb and recommending they win this game today (afterall, it is the most important game of the year).

kaldaniels
08-01-2021, 01:04 PM
It does sound like the Mets will not sign Kumar Rocker.

I don’t know what side I’m on currently, but I’m leaning towards they should just sign him and let him get the TJ.

Sample size of one, but Walker Buehler turned out ok after that happened.

Wonderful Monds
08-01-2021, 01:09 PM

I don’t know what side I’m on currently, but I’m leaning towards they should just sign him and let him get the TJ.

lmao mets

You’d hope for their sake that’s just a negotiation tactic leaking that out there

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Pete Rose was taking greenies and probably snorting coke while banging 15 year old girls, so I don't really care what he did.

oh come on, who doesn't do that?

/s

Coopdaddy67
08-01-2021, 01:13 PM

I'm not sure what he wants in terms of money right now.

When he was drafted, he was set to sign for $6 mil, well over slot.

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 01:14 PM
well, this one is over early. stroman throwing a perfect game.

:D

SomeCallMeTim
08-01-2021, 01:17 PM
Starting to think Castellini has executed Order 66.

I have a bad feeling about todays pitching matchup.

Trying to say in the here and the now.

Big Klu
08-01-2021, 01:21 PM

I keep reading that as Knute Rockne.

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 01:22 PM
I have a bad feeling about todays pitching matchup.

Trying to say in the here and the now.

Not a great matchup on paper, for the Reds..but who knows.

membengal
This Bally’s camera operator is so bad at his actual job.

JFLegal
vlad responding with a perfect game of his own thus far.

kaldaniels
08-01-2021, 01:24 PM
Stupid Mets fans can’t judge flyballs…and it’s throwing me off.

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 01:24 PM
That one fooled me. I thought Alonso left the yard, but it was little more than a routine fly.

kaldaniels
08-01-2021, 01:25 PM
I keep reading that as Knute Rockne.

That’s ok.

I keep reading the Graham Ashcraft thread as “Graham Ashcraft RIP.”

KeefeCato
08-01-2021, 01:26 PM
That’s ok.

I keep reading the Graham Ashcraft thread as “Graham Ashcraft RIP.”

I did the same thing.

Mitri
08-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Schrock can hit.

Red Raindog
08-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Take that Schrock haters!
[emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KeefeCato
08-01-2021, 01:28 PM
Thats one for Schrock. He will get 2 or 3 hits. After all the why is Votto not playing talk.

kaldaniels
08-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Schrock can hit.

Hilariously tiny next to Alonso.

Big Klu
08-01-2021, 01:30 PM
Schrock can hit.

Schrock has a little more bat than most of the backup utility infielders in the organization.

BCubb2003
08-01-2021, 01:32 PM
Looking for Schrocktober.

08-01-2021, 01:35 PM
7 pages in and I fully understand why JaxRed started his own game thread.

Roy Tucker
08-01-2021, 01:36 PM
My Bally video feed keeps freezing.

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 01:40 PM
sadak when talking about mario mendoza: "if you're a .215 hitter, no one will remember you. but everyone remembers him."

mendoza's career batting average: .215.

- - - Updated - - -

storms in ohio

KeefeCato
08-01-2021, 01:46 PM

Mine is fine today. But I have dealt with that before. Bally is minor league. Wish fox was still doing it.

Roy Tucker
08-01-2021, 01:48 PM
India continues to improve impressively as a hitter. His ceiling keeps raising higher.

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Come on Winks

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 01:52 PM
This is probably going to be one of those low-scoring slogs the Reds lose 4-2/3-1. Just has that feel. Deflation from the travesty last night, Votto out today, facing a guy who kills them, etc. Seems like there’s no energy there.

Roy Tucker
08-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Mine is fine today. But I have dealt with that before. Bally is minor league. Wish fox was still doing it.

Yeah, don’t know if it’s a Bally problem or a Spectrum problem. Frozen again now. The sound is fine but video is funky.

But the spousal unit and I are off. I take her to AJ Rahn nursery and then we go to Taft’s Brewporium for beer and pizza. Sunday day drinking is a civilized thing.

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 01:53 PM
these met fans are worse at gauging fly balls than Sadak

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 01:56 PM
This is probably going to be one of those low-scoring slogs the Reds lose 4-2/3-1. Just has that feel. Deflation from the travesty last night, Votto out today, facing a guy who kills them, etc. Seems like there’s no energy there.

i hear you, but vlad's pitching is giving me energy.

mhs95_06
08-01-2021, 01:57 PM
It's not just back-to-back off days, it's about avoiding him playing 12 hours later. As I said previously, he's coming off a draining week and Bell previously suggested he needed to give him a break before he went on this run.

Votto and Bell probably talked about it.

Also, Votto's 1-7 against Stroman all-time. He's 3-8 w/ a HR against Maeda.

Plus Joey is coming down off the high of the homer and win streaks and can get 2.3 days of rest which managers generally point out the time they like to give rest is to combine it with an off day.

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 02:02 PM
schrock yes!

David Bell is back to being a genius.

Red Raindog
Joey who?

NebraskaRed

AHEM

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 02:03 PM
Freaking shrek

Tom Servo
Let’s Schrock

KeefeCato
LOL at All the Why is Votto not playing.

Sassy Sal
This is why I was all for playing Schrock ;)

The question now is why wasn’t Schrock playing last night?

mhs95_06
Scrock gets an oppo sharp single in his first AB, then one he could pull long the nest AB, and both without overswinging.

Big Klu
08-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Schrock has a little more bat than most of the backup utility infielders in the organization.

AG Slater
Take that Shrock suckers. Suarez had zero chance there

TheBigLebowski
Was that scored a hit?

Big Klu
For Those About to Schrock, We Salute You.

AG Slater
08-01-2021, 02:05 PM
David Bell is back to being a genius.

No

JFLegal
geno is so slow now. unbelievable he doesn't score there with two outs.

BluegrassRedleg
House of the Rising Dumb

Sassy Sal
geno is so slow now. unbelievable he doesn't score there with two outs.

Maybe he got a bad jump...I dunno, but he sure looked slow there.

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 02:06 PM
Well, there’s the energy.

I don’t think I can recall a team being simultaneously so bad AND unlucky on the bases.

BluegrassRedleg
08-01-2021, 02:06 PM
This team just can’t get out of its own way.

Kilgore_Trout
08-01-2021, 02:07 PM
Anybody who complained about Schrock being in the lineup sure looks stupid now! I’m glad I’m not THAT guy!

KeefeCato
This team just can’t get out of its own way.

They would have walked Aquino had they not sent Suarez. Vlad would have been up.

JFLegal
absolutely was the right decision to send him. just didn't work out.

Kc61
08-01-2021, 02:08 PM
Reds try to be aggressive but they don’t have much speed.

Mets announcers say Suarez should have been at second on his own base hit. So maybe that cost them.

JFLegal
the punisher with a hell of a defensive play

Tom Servo
Whereas Winker committed to getting faster this off-season Suarez must have committed to getting slower

membengal
aquino plays a really nice RF

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Aquino makes the plays but he always looks like he’s an eyelash away from pure disaster

Kc61
the punisher with a hell of a defensive play

He took his eye off the ball to avoid the wall. Not sure that makes it such a good play, but at least he recovered and caught it nicely.

mhs95_06
It always amazes me why runners many times aren't willing and/or able to slide away from the side the throw is on. Looked to me like it would have been relatively easy for Suarez to see the catcher moving to the left, swivel his hips to his left and away from the catcher and stick his right foot into the plate. Would have been a much closer play.

coryfly
absolutely was the right decision to send him. just didn't work out.

Yeah, Reds get out running the bases at least once a game probably but you had to send him there. Anyone who isn’t painfully slow scores.

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 02:10 PM
sadak loves the mets almost as much as grande loved the cardinals. it's less annoying though, so it's fine.

KeefeCato
Whereas Winker committed to getting faster this off-season Suarez must have committed to getting slower

That even with the weight loss. Maybe Geno pulled a Pujols on everyone and is actually several years older than his listed age.

RollyInRaleigh
Good for Schrock and kudos to anyone who had a hunch that he’d do well today...including Bell!

KronoRed
08-01-2021, 02:11 PM
Aquino makes the plays but he always looks like he’s an eyelash away from pure disaster

He's like the most awkward looking RF ever.

BluegrassRedleg
They would have walked Aquino had they not sent Suarez. Vlad would have been up.

And that’s OK. You turn the lineup over if they choose to do that and don’t have to eat an out before the big bats in the 5th.

JFLegal
vlad is pitching a gem!

Sassy Sal
He took his eye off the ball to avoid the wall. Not sure that makes it such a good play, but at least he recovered and caught it nicely.

I bet that chain link fence wouldn't be comfortable to run through. Billion dollar stadium.

Kc61
Vlad throwing ground ball that inning. That’s a good direction for him since he’s not a big K guy. Hope it continues.

WrongVerb
08-01-2021, 02:12 PM
A Schrocking turn of events.

TheBigLebowski
Good, heads-up fundamental baseball by Vlad. That’s a much better play than many will realize

Kc61
I bet that chain link fence wouldn't be comfortable to run through. Billion dollar stadium.

Yeah, I can’t say I blame him. But a catchable ball which thankfully AA handled.

Mitri
08-01-2021, 02:13 PM
Vlad very good so far. He's been a pretty great 5th starter for this team.

KeefeCato
08-01-2021, 02:14 PM
And that’s OK. You turn the lineup over if they choose to do that and don’t have to eat an out before the big bats in the 5th.

Yeah I was just pointing out that they probably would have walked Aquino. Vlad isn't horrible with the bat though. Nearly every non catcher scores there. I even think Votto would have.

Big Klu
Vlad throwing ground ball that inning. That’s a good direction for him since he’s not a big K guy. Hope it continues.

Strikeouts are fascist.

TheBigLebowski
Well, the game has been a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. Maybe they can pull this thing out. Not *that* thing. You know what I mean.

mhs95_06
Great job by Gutierrez doing what he is supposed to do and save Schrock from a very tough play he was causing himself due to not that much experience playing 1B.

Thisyear
08-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Anybody who complained about Schrock being in the lineup sure looks stupid now! I’m glad I’m not THAT guy!

I was that guy. I stand by what I said but am glad Shrock is having a good game.

SomeCallMeTim
08-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Vlad very good so far. He's been a pretty great 5th starter for this team.

So true. I’d put him at #4 in the pleasant surprise category after India, Ty Steve, and Miley the ace.

VR
08-01-2021, 02:17 PM

He's got nowhere near the stuff Mahle does.....but 'pitches' much better. I've been impressed since the get go with him.

43 pitches through 4. That's about 1 1/3's inning worth for Mahle.

UPRedsFan
08-01-2021, 02:17 PM
So true. I’d put him at #4 in the pleasant surprise category after India, Ty Steve, and Miley the ace.

Shrock is earning some starts at 3b. Will he get them?

Sassy Sal
08-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Sadak has developed a serious crush on Joey.

SomeCallMeTim
08-01-2021, 02:19 PM
Shrock is earning some starts at 3b. Will he get them?

He earned them before his IL stint, IMO.

AlaskaReds
08-01-2021, 02:20 PM
Stroman has gotten some very generous calls so far today

coryfly
08-01-2021, 02:25 PM
Yeah, anything close for Stroman is a strike right now.

Tom Servo
08-01-2021, 02:26 PM
Vlad kind of reminds me of Elizardo Ramirez in 2006

coryfly
08-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Vlad looking better and better the more into the game we get.

Wonderful Monds
08-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Is Bally freezing up for anyone else or is it just the bar I’m at

Larkin Fan
08-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Vlad is pitching a great game.

Kc61
Vlad is trying the difficult job of being an effective starting pitcher without a swing and miss fastball.

He’s made progress. Today, lot of grounders, only one walk. I credit him and the Reds’ coaching staff. If he can be fifth starter for awhile, that would be a plus.

Vlad The Lizard

Tom Servo
08-01-2021, 02:29 PM
Vlad is trying the difficult job of being an effective starting pitcher without a swing and miss fastball.

He’s made progress. Today, lot of grounders, only one walk. I credit him and the Reds’ coaching staff. If he can be fifth starter for awhile, that would be a plus.
I don't think long term it will work but you can always worry about that later, what matters is that it's working well enough for now.

Larkin Fan
08-01-2021, 02:29 PM

The Lizard!

Wonderful Monds
08-01-2021, 02:30 PM
I wish Gutierrez was a Pirate in the 80s so I could call him Vlad the Inhaler

Bruce Berenyi
08-01-2021, 02:32 PM
He is Jose Acevedo

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 02:32 PM
hell yes! winker double

GAC
08-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Bored? Pull up the game thread on Sunday afternoon. LOL

NC-Red
08-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Is Bally freezing up for anyone else or is it just the bar I’m at

I was wondering the same thing. It’s definitely a Bally Sports thing because you can still hear the sound

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 02:36 PM
farm diggity dawg!!!

Wonderful Monds
Goddamn Farm Dawg with the wheels!!!!!!!

JFLegal
hittin triples up in this bish

Tom Servo
Do we love the Farm dog folks? Do we love him? We love him.

Red Raindog
I will keep repeating it.
Farmer is not the problem.

Hopefully it continues

Mitri
Farm Dawg is just insanely hot rn.

CrackerJack
08-01-2021, 02:37 PM
Was Farmer supposed to be this good?

Kc61
I dunno, folks, Farmer can’t stay this hot but he’s looking pretty solid. That was a heckuva at bat, I thought Stroman had him. Wow.

membengal
Mr. You don't have to be lonely has been a revelation

adkindo
08-01-2021, 02:38 PM

not sure the Barrero family are in his fan club

Larkin Fan

We do. We do.

JFLegal
and of course tysteve gets the job done. love him.

3-0 reds.

membengal
08-01-2021, 02:39 PM
TySteve, such a professional hitter.

BluegrassRedleg
Young guns continue to get it done. Man, I love Stephenson’s approach.

coryfly
Good ABs by Farmer and Tyler when it looked like Stroman had the advantage on both.

Mitri
Stephenson is so good at fundamental hitting.

mhs95_06
Farmer challenged the axiom to never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd, and won with a great little swerve to the inside of the bag(like Suarez should have done), to evade the tag for another needed millisecond!

Kc61
not sure the Barrero family are in his fan club

I think the Moustakas and Suarez families should be wondering. Barrero and Farmer, not too expensive, they should be good for now.

JFLegal
get your schrocks off! 3-for-3.

GAC
Reds up 3-0 in the 6th. Bell's a friggin genius! LOL

Mitri
My man big Max!

Wonderful Monds
I dunno, folks, Farmer can’t stay this hot

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/124/933/1304376955947.png?1305859987

Stray
08-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Schrock can really hit

Big Klu
I Love Schrock and Roll!

Larkin Fan
Schrock and roll!

Tom Servo
Max Schrock shall unleash his fury upon the haters like the crashing of a thousand waves

Puff
08-01-2021, 02:41 PM
I like Schrock almost as much as your mom.

TexasRedsFan
Farmer has been so clutch for the team this past month.

HammerTime
Most everyone but Lorenzen should be available I would guess.

Larkin Fan
Reds up 3-0 in the 6th. Bell's a friggin genius! LOL

He hasn't gone to the BP yet.

Wonderful Monds
Max Schrock 3 for 3

https://media2.giphy.com/media/kdl4eQGkPBv68/giphy.gif

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 02:42 PM
AHEM

You idiot. He already has 3 hits and it’s only the 6th.

What a loon lol

phlbilly
We will We will Shrock you

Tom Servo
Schrock can play corner OF by the way, I think he's earned himself a few starts in RF with Castellanos still out

mhs95_06
Stephenson capitalized nicely on the Farmer successful gamble!

Mitri
08-01-2021, 02:43 PM
I hate to say it, but I'm not sure we see Barrero before rosters expand (barring injury). Moose will bump Freeman off the roster, which is why we're seeing Senzel take grounders at SS. Otherwise, it's a very full and complete infield squad.

AG Slater
08-01-2021, 02:44 PM
Anyone think we will see Doolittle today?

Larkin Fan
08-01-2021, 02:45 PM
Heads up baserunning by Schrock. Love it.

JFLegal
what is this "good baserunning" stuff? have you guys heard of this?

Stray
This would be a good time for Aquino to run into one

Kc61
08-01-2021, 02:46 PM
I hate to say it, but I'm not sure we see Barrero before rosters expand (barring injury). Moose will bump Freeman off the roster, which is why we're seeing Senzel take grounders at SS. Otherwise, it's a very full and complete infield squad.

All the infield talent bodes well for the off-season. Great to see, a high level problem as they say.

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 02:46 PM

mods please ban.

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 02:47 PM
Human players try to steal one base at a time. Shreck takes 2-3 and laughs.

adkindo
08-01-2021, 02:48 PM
Heads up baserunning by Schrock. Love it.

I am not a 100% sure I was aware that was allowed....I am not sure what my answer would have been if asked before it happened. I get the logic, but I think I thought the baserunner had to stop on the next base with a walk.

phlbilly
08-01-2021, 02:48 PM

I think the only way we see Doolittle today is if the Mets have a guy hitting over 400 against lefties.

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2021, 02:49 PM
what is this "good baserunning" stuff? have you guys heard of this?

Most of our baserunners are distracted by the loud jet noises.

Shreck: 17502

TexasRedsFan
08-01-2021, 02:50 PM
At least Bell was smart enough to start Schrock over Freeman at first today if Joey had to sit.

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 02:51 PM
welsh: "he may have the take sign on here."

he sure as hell better! lol

Big Klu
I am not a 100% sure I was aware that was allowed....I am not sure what my answer would have been if asked before it happened. I get the logic, but I think I thought the baserunner had to stop on the next base with a walk.

Remember, Max Schrock used to play in the Cardinals organization. That's were he learned "bad habits" like good baserunning.

adkindo
the problem is his hat is not straight.....

coryfly
With that move to third Schrock immediately becomes the best base runner this team has. Low bar I know.

TheBigLebowski
Bell’s going to let Gutierrez hit and then bring in Doolittle at the bottom of the frame.

phlbilly
08-01-2021, 02:52 PM
Human players try to steal one base at a time. Shreck takes 2-3 and laughs.

Schlock may be the new Chuck Norris of baseball

NebraskaRed

According to this website's rules, I think I own Redszone now.

Wonderful Monds
Oh my god lmao Mets

JFLegal
lmao!!!!

membengal
Oh my. Wow.

coryfly
Great job by Vlad. Got him an RBI.

Stray
walks in a run on 4 pitches!

BluegrassRedleg
Thank you, sir, can I have another?

JFLegal
08-01-2021, 02:53 PM
schrock the casbah

Larkin Fan
Lol he just walked Gutierrez and Schrock scored.

Tom Servo
Neat!

Big Klu
Walk with pride, Vlad.

TexasRedsFan
Ok, now I’ve seen everything. Bases loaded walk to the pitcher.

NatiRedGals
Tbh I wonder if vlad went up there and said just don't swing or was he told to not swing if that's vlad he deserves a beer

JFLegal
the "flushing" cheers are hilarious. can't call them bronx cheers, right?

onehand
08-01-2021, 02:54 PM
I think the only way we see Doolittle today is if the Mets have a guy hitting over 400 against lefties.

I see Bell as a guy who will want to help Doolittle "get back on the horse" as soon as possible. Hopefully, we will have a 6+ run lead by that time.

NatiRedGals
08-01-2021, 02:55 PM
After the Luis Castillo debacle at bat I'm 99% sure bell told him don't swing lol

Wonderful Monds
08-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Not the greatest AB by Johnny India

adkindo
I see Bell as a guy who will want to help Doolittle "get back on the horse" as soon as possible. Hopefully, we will have a 6+ run lead by that time.

he should help him get on his horse out of town

NebraskaRed
Not the greatest AB by Johnny India

He was still in shock after Vlad walked.

coryfly
08-01-2021, 02:57 PM
Maybe next year there will be a commercial about Saurez like there is about Giolito.