4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
5. Tyler O'Neill (R) LF
6. Yadier Molina (R) C
7. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
9. Jon Lester (L) P

membengal
08-30-2021, 02:59 PM
Farmer 5th and Suarez 6th feels like a sizeable line-up hiccup still.

In any event, go Reds.

cumberlandreds
08-30-2021, 02:59 PM
I think I would play Schrock instead of Aquino for now. I assume Moose is till hurt. So Asdrubal should play third. Just can't have two black holes in that lineup and expect to win.

Ron Madden
08-30-2021, 03:03 PM
Suarez career vs Lester:
16 for 43, .372/.429/.860-1.224 with 6 HR.

membengal
08-30-2021, 03:10 PM
Suarez career vs Lester:

That vs. his 2021. Hope his career numbers win out.

Mitri
08-30-2021, 03:14 PM
Too bad Asdrubal can't play LF.

Fil3232
08-30-2021, 03:18 PM
What's the point of Cabrera? I'm not asking flippantly--who's he supposed to play over?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Farmer hitting 5th is a horse that needs to be sent to the glue factory

JP321
08-30-2021, 03:46 PM
I see we still aren't done with the Aquino project.. sadly

OldFashionedRed
08-30-2021, 03:47 PM
Suarez and Aquino in the lineup at the same time. Sounds like a winner to me.

cumberlandreds
08-30-2021, 03:47 PM
Suarez career vs Lester:

I hope that works out tonight.

Mitri
08-30-2021, 03:51 PM
I see we still aren't done with the Aquino project.. sadly

He can play CF and hits lefties relatively well. I think that helps a lot. They will trade him in the offseason, doubt they just want to give him away as tempting as it is.

HammerTime
08-30-2021, 03:52 PM
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I'm done with Aquino as a regular player.

RedsfaninMT
08-30-2021, 04:07 PM
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I'm done with Aquino as a regular player.

I think it's more popular than you're guessing. He looks clueless too often at the plate, and with bad as the Reds are defensively in the OF, he is near the top of the list for poor defenders. He has a great arm. And when he connects, the ball goes a long way. I think we've seen the best he has to offer.

Tom Servo
08-30-2021, 04:15 PM
A win would be nice IMO

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 04:15 PM

It's popular with me. Should be for everyone else! The only thing he is punishes these days are our chances of postseason play.

DocRed
08-30-2021, 04:23 PM

I think that's actually the prevailing thought on these boards which makes it even more frustrating that he is still playing. Would rather have Alejo Lopez or Barrero out there. Heck even Schrock who is a career 3 for 6 vs LHP. Pretty sure Lester isn't getting a heater by him even. Anybody and I mean anybody but Aquino. At least Akiyama provides competent defense even. He also has a reverse career split and is .718 vs LHP. Sometimes Bell and Co. are so slow on the uptake on what seems like he obvious choice its maddeningly frustrating...

Aquino BA over the last 7, 14, 28 and 365days...

And yet he still gets starts for whatever reason. Might as well just start another pitcher in the outfield.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 04:25 PM
Anyone get depressed thinking about facing a one-run deficit late against Kershaw on October 6 with two in scoring position and one out and we have Geno up at the plate with Aqino on deck? We can't afford to have these playing in high leverage situations, especially in a postseason one-off game.

OldFashionedRed
08-30-2021, 04:41 PM
I think it's more popular than you're guessing. He looks clueless too often at the plate, and with bad as the Reds are defensively in the OF, he is near the top of the list for poor defenders. He has a great arm. And when he connects, the ball goes a long way. I think we've seen the best he has to offer.

I can't figure if he goes to the plate without a plan, or if he just can't recognize a strike from a ball. And I've yet to hear the tv crew mention anything about Aristides reaching out to management or hitting coaches to help him fix the problem. I'm starting to feel that he's satisfied with where he's gotten, and some guys discover that the MLB lifestyle (all the travel and game) isn't for them. We shall see.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 04:52 PM
Aquino belongs in Japan hitting 40 bombs a year. Once again LHP and no Cabrera. There was no point what so ever in picking up Cabrera. He does one thing well. He hits LHP. That is it.
Play Suarez tonight because of his career numbers against Lester fine. But play Cabrera at 1b and sit down a slumping Votto.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 04:56 PM
I can't figure if he goes to the plate without a plan, or if he just can't recognize a strike from a ball. And I've yet to hear the tv crew mention anything about Aristides reaching out to management or hitting coaches to help him fix the problem. I'm starting to feel that he's satisfied with where he's gotten, and some guys discover that the MLB lifestyle (all the travel and game) isn't for them. We shall see.

I think Aquino's main problem is that long swing he has. Might have worked years ago when most pitchers topped out at 89 mph. Not going to work in todays game.

08-30-2021, 05:01 PM

He really has not been a regular player this season. He’s mostly been a platoon OF or a 4th OF, depending on the health of the other outfielders.

He’s getting more starts these days because of Winker’s injury, and he’s been slumping this past week. However, he filled in great for Cast when he was injured.

Aquino is the ultimate three outcome hitter, which makes him frustrating to watch, but over his short career, he’s put up decent numbers, right around a .800 OPS. If he mostly saw lefties, it would likely be even higher. My biggest issue with him is on the bases and in the field.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 05:04 PM
I think that's actually the prevailing thought on these boards which makes it even more frustrating that he is still playing. Would rather have Alejo Lopez or Barrero out there. Heck even Schrock who is a career 3 for 6 vs LHP. Pretty sure Lester isn't getting a heater by him even. Anybody and I mean anybody but Aquino. At least Akiyama provides competent defense even. He also has a reverse career split and is .718 vs LHP. Sometimes Bell and Co. are so slow on the uptake on what seems like he obvious choice its maddeningly frustrating...

Aquino BA over the last 7, 14, 28 and 365days...

And yet he still gets starts for whatever reason. Might as well just start another pitcher in the outfield.

Yeah I don't get Aquino playing so much just because a LHP is on the mound. The guy can't hit. I get giving Suarez a longer lease. But we all know why he is getting that lease. Money first and foremost. Track record is secondary at this point. But Aquino doesn't even make much. Just cut him and move on. Aquino is not nor will he ever be a starting big league caliber player. He is destined to play over seas if he wishes to continue to play baseball for pay anyway.

Mitri
08-30-2021, 05:25 PM
I haven't been high on AA much at all this year but since he's taking a RZ beating I'm gonna throw some positive energy his way this evening.

Here's to hoping he has a big game tonight, lord knows he needs one.

Ironman92
08-30-2021, 05:29 PM
Enjoyable team win upcoming here shortly

DocRed
08-30-2021, 05:35 PM
I haven't been high on AA much at all this year but since he's taking a RZ beating I'm gonna throw some positive energy his way this evening.

I'd definitely be for him proving me wrong tonight and hitting a couple bombs!

JP321
08-30-2021, 05:48 PM
The thing with Aquino for me, is that he is what he is, and that's fine. He's a high strike out hitter with lots of power and plays decent defense imo. The problem is he had that red hot start to his major league career, and the Reds are reluctant to give up on him because of that. Aquino just reminds me of the Juan Francisco's of the world, tons of power potential, but couldn't figure out how to barrell up enough to be an everyday pro

DocRed
08-30-2021, 05:54 PM
The thing with Aquino for me, is that he is what he is, and that's fine. He's a high strike out hitter with lots of power and plays decent defense imo. The problem is he had that red hot start to his major league career, and the Reds are reluctant to give up on him because of that. Aquino just reminds me of the Juan Francisco's of the world, tons of power potential, but couldn't figure out how to barrell up enough to be an everyday pro

Good comparison although I'm not even sure he's as good as Francisco who finished with a career OPS+ of 100. Even with his insane 2019 Aquino's career OPS+ is already below that at 96.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 06:02 PM

Rooting for him big time(and Geno ,too). Just think playing guys like Asdrubal , Shrock, or even Lopez makes more sense. I would rather have Cabrera and Shrock hitting in a tight game in the eighth or ninth in Dodger Stadium with two on and one out rather than Geno and Aquino.

Still, I hope both have HUGE games tonight. Rooting hard for them.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 06:05 PM

God, let's hope not, for Aristides' sake.

Alf_Red_E
08-30-2021, 06:10 PM
I have considered the alternatives, and believe scoring more runs than the opposition is the best strategy for winning tonight.

After all, it IS the most important game of the year.

OldFashionedRed
08-30-2021, 06:21 PM
PA AVG HR RBI
Eugenio Suarez
LAST MONTH: 71 .164 4 12
SERIES VS ST LOUIS 9 .111 0 1
18 .167 1 4
13 .000 0 0
15 .133 1 2
TOTAL VS ST LOUIS 55 .115 6 19

Aristides Aquino
LAST MONTH: 75 .123 2 7
SERIES VS ST LOUIS 9 .111 0 0
6 .167 1 1
TOTAL VS ST LOUIS 15 .139 1 1

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 06:26 PM
It has been precipitating much of the day here in the bottom part of the Bluegrass State. Are we looking okay to get this titanic struggle started on time tonight?

Wonderful Monds
08-30-2021, 06:28 PM
Gotta score some runs tonight

Also gotta keep the other team from scoring runs tonight

Larry Schuler
08-30-2021, 06:31 PM
I misplaced my photo of the GABP plaque but it doesn’t matter anyway. The fan base believes when they want to believe, I suppose.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 06:37 PM
Wishing Suarez and Aquino were on the bench. Hope they each have a monster game and are the main reason for a Reds win tonight.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 06:42 PM
Wishing Suarez and Aquino were on the bench. Hope they each have a monster game and are the main reason for a Reds win tonight.

Double Like!!!!

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 06:47 PM
How many people are there tonight? Looks like a near empty stadium.

Red Raindog
08-30-2021, 06:47 PM
Sub optimal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fil3232
08-30-2021, 06:48 PM
I thought TySteve knew how to catch Luis!

Alabama Red
Great start for Castillo.

KeefeCato
Cardinals have come to play.

Wonderful Monds
08-30-2021, 06:49 PM

Pretty rainy day today forecast was looking bad for tonight too

mhs95_06
08-30-2021, 06:50 PM
Reds opponents love coming into GABP and going oppo into the RF seats, especially in important games to them when they focus more on doing their best hitting!

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 06:50 PM
Pretty rainy day today forecast was looking bad for tonight too

Isn't tomorrow and Wed looking even worse? I doubt Wednesday happens.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 06:51 PM
Farmer did make some good plays in Miami but Larkin who is praising him would have made those look routine.

BCubb2003
08-30-2021, 06:55 PM
Gotta score some runs tonight

Also gotta keep the other team from scoring runs tonight

Good strategy. We’re going to have to work on some tactics.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I was thinking there would be more for a game with the rival 'Birds. I'm sure weather is a big factor. Definitely expected more than 148, , though.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Sadak India clobbers a ball. Routine foul fly to LF 1 out.

Red Raindog
Larkin needs to get a room with Molina

KeefeCato
Lester throwing 85 throws 4 pitches gets 2 outs.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:02 PM
Votto strikeouts out again. Slumping badly. While Cabrera sits and watches.

Wonderful Monds
08-30-2021, 07:08 PM
Isn't tomorrow and Wed looking even worse? I doubt Wednesday happens.

Wednesday doesn’t have any precipitation forecasted as of right from what I see, but tomorrow is a 70% chance of rain for the day.

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 07:09 PM
Castillo has removed his head from his rear. Unfortunately, in a playoff setting, not being mentally ready to go today may have already gotten him beat. This is exactly why IMHO he's not your WC starter choice, if the Reds make it.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:09 PM
Wednesday doesn’t have any precipitation forecasted as of right from what I see, but tomorrow is a 70% chance of rain for the day.

I figure the hurricane rain will be there by late tomorrow or early Wed. Last time I checked it was headed that way. Unless it changed course.

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 07:11 PM
Farmers only dot com!!!

membengal

In any event, go Reds.

So far so good...

BluegrassRedleg
I figure the hurricane rain will be there by late tomorrow or early Wed. Last time I checked it was headed that way. Unless it changed course.

It's 100% per our central Kentucky weatherbros.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:12 PM
Castillo has removed his head from his rear. Unfortunately, in a playoff setting, not being mentally ready to go today may have already gotten him beat. This is exactly why IMHO he's not your WC starter choice, if the Reds make it.

Problem is though the Reds have 4 good pitchers. They have no clear cut ACE to go to in a WC game. May be best to go with whoever is pitching best down the stretch. All 4 has been hit in the first inning at times. I think he was/is mentally ready. He just misses spots more than a true ACE would.

Strikes Out Looking
08-30-2021, 07:13 PM
Problem is though the Reds have 4 good pitchers. They have no clear cut ACE to go to in a WC game. May be best to go with whoever is pitching best down the stretch. All 4 has been hit in the first inning at times. I think he was/is mentally ready. He just misses spots more than a true ACE would.

Let's get to the WC and then worry about it.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:14 PM
Let's get to the WC and then worry about it.

Agree, and I wasn't the one who brought it up here.

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 07:15 PM

I don't know. Living outside in this park is suicide. That seems more like a mental mistake than an execution mistake.

Just wish we weren't in a stupid 1-game situation. MLB should have that 3 games, minimum, even though that doesn't necessarily increase our chances. I just think baseball's meant to be played that way, not a do-or-die game.

KeefeCato
Naquin's hot streak may be over. But if he goes back to hitting like he was pre hot streak this offence is in trouble if a couple guys don't pick it up.

BluegrassRedleg
Agree, and I wasn't the one who brought it up here.

:laugh:

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:19 PM
I don't know. Living outside in this park is suicide. That seems more like a mental mistake than an execution mistake.

Just wish we weren't in a stupid 1-game situation. MLB should have that 3 games, minimum, even though that doesn't necessarily increase our chances. I just think baseball's meant to be played that way, not a do-or-die game.

Yeah, I thought it would be a 3 game series since they did that last season. I thought it was how it was going to be moving forward. If the offence don't pick it up soon might not make it in. For the Reds in a WC game they are going to have to score at least 5 runs or more I think. Because whoever they start probably gives up 2-3 and you know the pen would have to cover 2-3 innings and will give up at least 1.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 07:22 PM

Sonny Gray is such a bulldog competitor. He seems to be rounding back into form after his injuries. If Sonny keeps pitching like he has of late all the way to the end of the season, I'd consider throwing him against the Dodgers if Luis is having any struggles down the stretch. It probably won't happen, but I'd feel pretty good with Sonny on the bump and the season on the line.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 07:23 PM

Ten likes!!!

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:28 PM
Sonny Gray is such a bulldog competitor. He seems to be rounding back into form after his injuries. If Sonny keeps pitching like he has of late all the way to the end of the season, I'd consider throwing him against the Dodgers if Luis is having any struggles down the stretch. It probably won't happen, but I'd feel pretty good with Sonny on the bump.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think there is no right or wrong choice between the 4. All are capable of pitching great and bad games. I probably go with whoever is the hottest the last three games they pitch. One thing I would not do is pitch Mahle at home in any playoff game.
Like I was saying earlier I am not convinced they make the WC. I don't know maybe just me but the Offence has looked really bad for a week or so now. They always seem to bounce back after bad stretches though. Lester is horrible and they really need to beat him up here 2nd time through the order.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:31 PM
I don't know if Wisdom is still considered a rookie but he has been on fire and India is slumping. I hope he don't lose his ROY award in Sept.

08-30-2021, 07:32 PM
I really would be mad if this was the one decent start for Lester for the Cardinals this year.

Ironman92
08-30-2021, 07:34 PM
Farmer did make some good plays in Miami but Larkin who is praising him would have made those look routine.

Well Barry Larkin is in the HOF

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:36 PM
Well Barry Larkin is in the HOF

Yes, but more to the Hall as you know then just making tough plays look routine.

Big Klu
08-30-2021, 07:37 PM
4-yessiree-3!

Ironman92
08-30-2021, 07:39 PM
Yes, but more to the Hall as you know then just making tough plays look routine.

Larkin was pretty HOF at many aspects of baseball. Farmer never going to touch any aspect of what Larkin thrived at.

TheBigLebowski
08-30-2021, 07:39 PM
I’ll take “Things you never thought you’d say in late August” for a thousand.

“Eugenio Suarez has a lower batting average than Luis Castillo (.170 < .171.).”

GullyFoyle
08-30-2021, 07:40 PM

I’d rather get rid of the wild card game than go to a series.

Second and third place teams should be at a huge disadvantage, or just not be there.

I hate it when wild card teams regularly win titles.

Strikes Out Looking
08-30-2021, 07:41 PM
I really would be mad if this was the one decent start for Lester for the Cardinals this year.

Does he still have issues throwing to first base? If he does, the Reds (6-9) in the batting order, should just bunt it near him and run hard to first base - this is likely how Suarez could get a hit tonight.

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 07:43 PM
86 gas in the heart of the zone!!!

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 07:44 PM
Why would anyone EVER not throw a LHP vs. the Reds? Don't have one? Just get any effing gimp out of your system, use him.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 07:45 PM
Some of you guys are really knowledgable about the intricacies of the game. The Reds obviously struggle against left-hand pitching. If you were the Reds' hitting coach and you scheduled a team hitting workshop to focus on a better approach to successfully hitting lefties, what are some things you would instruct these guys to do to have better AB's against southpaws? Anything you would have them do differently in the hitting approach?

Strikes Out Looking
08-30-2021, 07:46 PM
Some of you guys are really knowledgable about the intricacies of the game. The Reds obviously struggle against left-hand pitching. If you were the Reds' hitting coach and you scheduled a team hitting workshop to focus on a better approach to successfully hitting lefties, what are some things you would instruct these guys to do to have better AB's against southpaws? Anything you would have them do differently in the hitting approach?

Not send some of these guys up to the plate in the first place.

JP321
08-30-2021, 07:47 PM
Another lefty, another game of soft contact... it's baffling

BCubb2003
08-30-2021, 07:47 PM
Does he still have issues throwing to first base? If he does, the Reds (6-9) in the batting order, should just bunt it near him and run hard to first base - this is likely how Suarez could get a hit tonight.

The rest of the league has been remarkably forgiving about his condition. Billy Martin would have gone right at him.

mhs95_06
08-30-2021, 07:48 PM
2-1 thru 4 with 69 v 55 in pitches. Looks like Lester has more batters left in him than Castillo!

Ironman92
08-30-2021, 07:48 PM

How do you spell oppo?

Soft tossing lefties make a living off the current system of trying to hit HR…..they miss in and live on the edge. Few chance to pull and drive but many chances to smack one oppo

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:49 PM
The rest of the league has been remarkably forgiving about his condition. Billy Martin would have gone right at him.

Billy would have gone right at him and cussed him out from the dugout while doing it. And if Lester had anything to say back Billy would have told him to meet him at the local watering hole then decked him.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 07:50 PM

LOL Naquin is the only Red that ever tries it. Bunt is a four-letter word to everyone else.

Ironman92
08-30-2021, 07:51 PM
Terrible read and angle by AA….then misplayed it still after that

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 07:51 PM
Aquino whiffed on that ball like he whiffs on 'em at the plate.

mhs95_06
08-30-2021, 07:52 PM
AA with bad judgement on that pop-up! Ran too long parallel to the fence before he turned inward, and got there late by about the same number of steps he gave up by not coming in immediately.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 07:52 PM
Not send some of these guys up to the plate in the first place.

Very good starting point!!!

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:53 PM
Looking like the Reds will have to beat the Cardinal pen if they are to win this one.

TheBigLebowski
So much talk about the angst regarding one game playoffs. This team is desperately trying to remind you it hasn’t won (poop) yet.

Kc61
Terrible read and angle by AA….then misplayed it still after that

Aquino hasn’t seemed to adjust to LF very well IMO. He looks uncomfortable out there and too many fly balls turn into adventures. Does better in RF.

Tom Servo
08-30-2021, 07:54 PM
with regards to the lineup vs LHP I think it's the guys who aren't really being criticized who deserve the most blame, and that's India, Stephenson, and Castellanos. Not only are they at the top of the lineup but they're there because they are good RH bats, but in these games against LH pitching they're routinely going 0-4 or getting just one walk or maybe one hit. That won't cut it.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 07:55 PM
so much talk about the angst regarding one game playoffs. This team is desperately trying to remind you it hasn’t won (poop) yet.

not one person here said they had.

Strikes Out Looking
08-30-2021, 07:56 PM

The Reds need to be meaner - not showboating like AG liked to do before he couldn't get anyone out, but go at other teams weaknesses and don't let up. If you can't hit a lefty, figure out how to produce runs - don't let a guy finishing his career like Jerry Reuss with the Reds throw only 50 pitches through 4 innings.

And I for one would like to see expendable Reds like Suarez and the Punisher get into fisticuffs with Molina and Bader tonight. If you are going to go down, take them out.

Ky Fried Redleg
How do you spell oppo?

Soft tossing lefties make a living off the current system of trying to hit HR…..they miss in and live on the edge. Few chance to pull and drive but many chances to smack one oppo

I agree. That's obviously a good strategy. Surely Zinter has talked about that...hasn't he? Why aren't they doing more of it? Stephenson does it regularly with success. Why not more?

George Foster
with regards to the lineup vs LHP I think it's the guys who aren't really being criticized who deserve the most blame, and that's India, Stephenson, and Castellanos. Not only are they at the top of the lineup but they're there because they are good RH bats, but in these games against LH pitching they're routinely going 0-4 or getting just one walk or maybe one hit. That won't cut it.

India and Nick should like left handed pitching. We just haven't seen a lot of it this year.

TheBigLebowski
08-30-2021, 07:58 PM
not one person here said they had.

Right.

And before I can hit “quick reply” Suarez pops out on the first pitch.

mhs95_06
08-30-2021, 07:58 PM
Righties trying to hit the ball out of the park, instead of just taking a controlled swing and hitting a line drive to the part of the park that has the less dense defense.

NebraskaRed
08-30-2021, 07:59 PM
If the Reds make it to the WC playoff game, it's 100% certain that their opponent will start a LHP

TheBigLebowski
08-30-2021, 08:00 PM
If the Reds make it to the WC playoff game, it's 100% certain that their opponent will start a LHP

If the opponent doesn’t, they should be sued for malpractice.

George Foster
08-30-2021, 08:01 PM
12 straight...I thought Sandy Kofax retired

Reds Fanatic
08-30-2021, 08:01 PM
The announcers talking about Suarez against lefties don’t mention Suarez has been especially awful against lefties this year. He is now hitting .129 with an OBP of .235 against lefties.

George Foster
08-30-2021, 08:02 PM
The announcers talking about Suarez against lefties don’t mention Suarez has been especially awful against lefties this year. He is now hitting .129 with an OBP of .235 against lefties.

That's pitiful....

Kc61

Agree, we often don’t focus enough on the main guys in leveling criticism when Reds are struggling.

OTOH, the whole purpose of RH platoon hitters is to bolster the club against lefties. Suarez and Aquino are currently hitting (overall) .169 and .180 respectively and also under .200 against lefties.

JP321
Reds are slumping at a very bad time...just got WC lead and now can't hit. Reds have a chance to try and bury the Cards season, and to this point, we are reviving them

Reds Fanatic
08-30-2021, 08:05 PM
I don’t get why they are not using Cabrera against lefties

Strikes Out Looking
08-30-2021, 08:05 PM
Lester 63 pitches through 5 innings. Sometimes I love this team and sometimes I hate them.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t get why they are not using Cabrera against lefties

We can't hurt Suarez's feelings?

Reds Fanatic
08-30-2021, 08:06 PM
Carlson doubles

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:06 PM
Agree, we often don’t focus enough on the main guys in leveling criticism when Reds are struggling.

OTOH, the whole purpose of RH platoon hitters is to bolster the club against lefties. Suarez and Aquino are currently hitting (overall) .169 and .180 respectively.

I go back to Cabrera sitting against 2 straight LHP. He may not do a thing but he has a track record that is good against them. Zero point in signing him if they are not going to use him against them. What we will see if Moose can't go tomorrow night though is Cabrera at 3b against the RHP. Because Bell loves the Left handers in the lineup against RHP. Never mind that Cabrera doesn't hit RHP. Beyond dumb.

Reds Fanatic
08-30-2021, 08:07 PM
Reds face lefties again Wednesday and Friday

TheBigLebowski
08-30-2021, 08:07 PM
The Reds complete inability to hit LHP is ludicrous, but it’s even worse when they toss Aquino, Suarez and a P spot in the same lineup.

I know they cannot dump Suarez and that he’s not going to be optioned. A phantom injury should be explored, but it’s clearly not going to be. So they’re going to carry him. What I cannot fathom is why Aquino not only has a roster spot, but starts more often than not. He’s absolutely useless. At least with Shogo you get + defense.

mhs95_06
08-30-2021, 08:10 PM
Baserunner got them that run!

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:11 PM
Baserunner get them that run!

Yes and outside of India and Maybe Shogo not 1 Red would have even tried to advance to 3B on that groundout.

TheBigLebowski
That kind of sums it up.

dakota42
It's depressing that it's just 3-1 and feels like it's over with the way our offense is going.

Tom Servo
08-30-2021, 08:13 PM
What I wouldn’t give for one (1) inning where the offense strings hits together and puts up a crooked number

Playadlc
Reds will put up some runs this inning.

TheBigLebowski
It's depressing that it's just 3-1 and feels like it's over with the way our offense is going.

Your instincts are correct, sadly. This team will not score 3 runs in the next 4 innings.

BCubb2003
It’s getting to the point where putting Suarez in the lineup will be hurting his feelings, and soon after he won’t be much of a fan favorite, either.

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 08:15 PM
It’s getting to the point where putting Suarez in the lineup will be hurting his feelings, and soon after he won’t be much of a fan favorite, either.

Dude is hitting .170 on the doorstep of September. This is the only organization in baseball that would be running him out there. It's a disgrace.

Reds Fanatic
08-30-2021, 08:15 PM
The Reds complete inability to hit LHP is ludicrous, but it’s even worse when they toss Aquino, Suarez and a P spot in the same lineup.

I know they cannot dump Suarez and that he’s not going to be optioned. A phantom injury should be explored, but it’s clearly not going to be. So they’re going to carry him. What I cannot fathom is why Aquino not only has a roster spot, but starts more often than not. He’s absolutely useless. At least with Shogo you get + defense.

What is sad is they have options to try to
improve this and refuse to use them. We had Barrero up here barely played him and get Cabrera and wont play him.

NebraskaRed
08-30-2021, 08:16 PM
Dude is hitting .170 on the doorstep of September. This is the only organization in baseball that would be running him out there. It's a disgrace.

He just needs 20-30 more starts to get him going.

Mitri
08-30-2021, 08:17 PM
This team is really slow.

Depressing to watch right now.

NebraskaRed
08-30-2021, 08:18 PM
Looking forward to the Reds scoring 1 run in the bottom of the 9th and then nothing else.

KeefeCato
I have had confidence in this team all season. Last few days I am losing it fast.

Ky Fried Redleg
How old is Lester? I feel like I was listening to Dexys Midnight Runners when he was a young pitcher.

George Foster
08-30-2021, 08:19 PM
How old is Lester? I feel like I was listening to Dexys Midnight Runners when he was a young pitcher.

You were listening to the Backstreet Boys...be honest.:D

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:20 PM
Lester toying with this pull happy lineup just like any playoff team rotation would do and did do last year.

TheBigLebowski
I was happy they picked up Ass Dribble Cabrera. Apparently I was thinking of a different guy, because this dude is horrible, and may be the slowest guy on this team not named Tucker Barnhart.

Reds Fanatic
Stephenson flies out to the track in center.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:22 PM
Time to pull Lester. He is old and needs his rest. Only shot the Reds have at winning is get him out.

BluegrassRedleg
Total ****show.

George Foster
I was happy they picked up Ass Dribble Cabrera. Apparently I was thinking of a different guy, because this dude is horrible, and may be the slowest guy on this team not named Tucker Barnhart.

I'd take Tucker verses Votto in a race. It would be glorious.

membengal
Tombstone just started on AMC.

Presently, someone will be someone's huckleberry.

traderumor
08-30-2021, 08:23 PM
Jamie Moyer has contacted his agent, looking to hook up with Pirates for September work after watching another Reds loss against any lefty.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 08:23 PM
Lester toying with this pull happy lineup just like any playoff team rotation would do and did do last year.

You see it; I see it; All God's children see it. Why don't the Reds' team see it? Frustratng.

NebraskaRed
08-30-2021, 08:24 PM
I love when Sadak makes references that the other people in the booth don't understand.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:24 PM

He can hit LHP but he is a snail. But Bell will play Suarez against LHP and Cabrera against RHP. And Cabrera will fail in that role.

traderumor
08-30-2021, 08:25 PM
Heck, I'm lefty, pick up some quick major league minimum cash, impact the pennant race, do some interviews...

“John, have you ever drank out of a hose.”

Totally benign conversation starter, but it reminded me of this

https://youtu.be/YaLeKw8SSnk

KeefeCato
Jamie Moyer has contacted his agent, looking to hook up with Pirates for September work after watching another Reds loss against any lefty.

They are also signing Jim Katt and John Candelaira.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 08:26 PM

Reds' batters would lose to a jar of molasses in a race. Slowest bunch I've ever seen.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:27 PM
Looks like Doug closed up shop over at his place. He didn't even bother having a game thread tonight. Was more interested in posting about the player the Reds sent to the Yankees.

George Foster
08-30-2021, 08:28 PM
In the South of the mid to late 1800’s a huckle bearer was the equivalent of a pallbearer. A handle on a casket was called a huckle.

Holliday, the gun fighting dentist, was raised in a gentile Georgia home, where he would have been aware of such a phrase.

Thus, Doc Holliday may have been saying that he’d be to bury Ringo. Since they were about to get into a gunfight, this makes perfect sense.
Legend has it he was supposed to say Huckle Bearer but said huckleberry and the director didn't realize it.

If you think about it "I'll be your huckleberry makes no sense. FYI...

RedsFanInMS

Kitty Kat and the Candyman were darn good

Kc61
You see it; I see it; All God's children see it. Why don't the Reds' team see it? Frustratng.

Reds have been one of the best “hit to all fields” teams in baseball this season.

They “see” it.

traderumor

Satchel Paige if he were a lefty...and alive

membengal
Looks like Doug closed up shop over at his place. He didn't even bother having a game thread tonight. Was more interested in posting about the player the Reds sent to the Yankees.

Internet issues per his twitter feed.

TheBigLebowski
08-30-2021, 08:29 PM

Zane Smith just scheduled tryouts in San Diego, Los Angeles and St. Louis.

membengal
08-30-2021, 08:29 PM
Also Billy Bob Thornton was in Kurt Russell's chair so he threw him out. That's a fact.

That's your Tombstone update.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 08:30 PM
Woodie Fryman would baffle this Reds' lineup.

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 08:30 PM
Imagine what Tom Browning would have done to this Reds team? Like, tonight. Not in 1990.

NebraskaRed
08-30-2021, 08:31 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/5lcidj.jpg

KeefeCato
Internet issues per his twitter feed.

I never post there anyway. I do read the comments. Indy guy wants the Reds to sign or trade for half of MLB and he is always telling about his gambling habits.

Reds Fanatic
Good play by India

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:32 PM
Zane Smith just scheduled tryouts in San Diego, Los Angeles and St. Louis.

Does he still have the hair?

TheBigLebowski
08-30-2021, 08:33 PM
Does he still have the hair?

If there’s such a thing as baseball gods, he does.

SomeCallMeTim
08-30-2021, 08:34 PM
I’d like to revise my prediction as to who WILL face the Giants or Dodgers in a 1 game playoff:

Jon Lester

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:35 PM
I’d like to revise my prediction as to who WILL face the Giants or Dodgers in a 1 game playoff:

Jon Lester

Unless his next start is against the Reds. Lester won't make it out of the 3rd inning.

NebraskaRed
3 hits total in the last 16 innings.

Kc61
Reds are in a little bit of a team slump right now.

They’ll get out of it.

I don’t agree with some of their player choices, and the team has weaknesses, certainly.

But they’ll get going with the bat soon.

Ironman92
08-30-2021, 08:36 PM

I don’t think the Dodgers will

TheBigLebowski
08-30-2021, 08:37 PM
85 mph cheese right down the pipe.

If Lester was throwing this crap at the Pirates or Royals he’d have been run in the 3rd.

This is pathetic.

NebraskaRed
08-30-2021, 08:37 PM
Wonder what would happen if the Reds faced Amir Garrett.

Kc61
08-30-2021, 08:38 PM

First guy would walk. No idea after that. Somehow I think Amir would thrive.

Reds Fanatic
An actual baserunner. Votto walks

Reds Fanatic
Lester coming out another lefty coming in

Ironman92
08-30-2021, 08:39 PM

Zero doubt Tucker wins if it’s on the bases

KeefeCato

He would Walk Votto, India, Castellanos, Winker, Stephenson and Would strike out Suarez and Aquino on three pitches.

membengal
Your Tombstone update - I am starting to think these so-called "Cowboys" are up to no good.

Ky Fried Redleg
08-30-2021, 08:40 PM
Reds' one hit by a 58 year-old cancer survivor. That's quite the slump.

TheBigLebowski
08-30-2021, 08:41 PM
Larkin and Sadak are combining for some of the worst commentary I’ve ever heard.

Seriously, if you didn’t know this was Jon Lester you’d think they were talking about Randy Johnson or Warren Spahn.

I love Larkin and I have never missed Brennaman, but at least he’d acknowledge crap when he saw it.

coryfly

That is probably why Bell played him so much. Thought he was a freaking beast the way he looked in practice against this lineup.

Ironman92
I wish Lester was as fiery as he was 5 years ago and the manager tried to remove him in this situation

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 08:43 PM
Of course.

Reds Fanatic
Farmer ground rule double to left.

membengal

In any event, go Reds.

Second bump for you-don't-have-to-be-lonely doing stuff...

BluegrassRedleg
Jesus Christ.

Playadlc
Let’s go.

redsfan9988
My poor heart won’t be able to take it if Geno K’s…

Tom Servo
Farm Dog not taking kindly to being the whipping boy.

coryfly
Dang. Even when they get a hit something messes it up, lol. Sucks that we are at this point in the lineup. Maybe Saurez can guess lucky here.

membengal
08-30-2021, 08:44 PM
you don't have to pull it, Geno.

Ky Fried Redleg
These two Cardinals' pitchers have to be a combined 100 years of age.

coryfly
I just don't the worst hitter in the game in front of your hottest guy.

TheBigLebowski
Ugh. Freaking ground rule double just cost the Reds a run.

JohnnyBench5
08-30-2021, 08:45 PM
Geno...don't pull a Geno!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

membengal

SIGH

BluegrassRedleg
Bell = Idiot

Tom Servo
Great job Geno. Sigh

Red Raindog

Yes he does
Sigh

Reds Fanatic
It is ridiculous putting Suarez in a lineup

coryfly
08-30-2021, 08:46 PM
Doesn't Farmer have to get to third there. Just take off when it's hit, right?

JohnnyBench5
Come on Naquin...we need ya!

Tom Servo
A week ago this place was demanding he play over fat Moustakas.

Ironman92
Good instincts

TheBigLebowski
I hate Suarez. What a God-forsaken stiff.

SomeCallMeTim
08-30-2021, 08:47 PM

Ridiculous putting him in uniform at this point.

George Foster
Farm Dog not taking kindly to being the whipping boy.

He shouldn't be anyone's whipping boy. He's had a great season. Those that want him replaced this season doesn't know anything about team chemistry.

redsfan9988
Doesn't Farmer have to get to third there. Just take off when it's hit, right?

Arenado would have had time to tag him, check the scoreboard, take a quick nap, look at his stocks, and still throw Votto out at home.

Ironman92
Ugh. Freaking ground rule double just cost the Reds a run.

Man I do t know lol….Joey scoring from 1st on a ball to LF seems unlikely

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 08:48 PM
Cards score a run on a worm-beater; Reds lose a run on a rocket.

That kind of night.

STL is the all-time pull-it-out-of-your-ass baseball team.

redsfan9988
A week ago this place was demanding he play over fat Moustakas.

I don’t think anyone was demanding Geno play, fat or otherwise.

coryfly
Arenado would have had time to tag him, check the scoreboard, take a quick nap, look at his stocks, and still throw Votto out at home.

Nah.

Tom Servo
Man I do t know lol….Joey scoring from on a ball to LF seems unlikely
Yeah Barry said he scores but my impression in real time was not that, it takes a really well placed ball to get Votto home from first and I didn’t think that was one of em.

SomeCallMeTim
08-30-2021, 08:49 PM
McFlarlans era 1.69

Suarez BA: .169

UK Reds Fan
Keep rolling out Suarez and the 6th spot has been beyond absurd for over a month....now you have Cabrera from the right side as well and continue to do this is another level of absurd. What is the point of managing if you're just going to fill out the same damn line up card regardless.

Tom Servo
I don’t think anyone was demanding Geno play, fat or otherwise.
It literally happened during Moustakas’ slump “at least Suarez can hit a HR” was the refrain.

Tom Servo
08-30-2021, 08:50 PM
Jon Lester and TJ Macfarland. Just terrible stuff.

dakota42
Well that was pitiful.

membengal
Back to Tombstone. That Johnny Ringo seems quite the rapscallion. Also, Wyatt Earp, despite being quite married, seems rather taken w/ the touring actress lady.

coryfly
I understand Saurez is going to play even when everyone knows he shouldn't. There really isn't any excuse for him batting anywhere but 8th or 9th though. It is inexcusable.

Strikes Out Looking
A six year old knows that when you have 2 strikes you swing at anything close - I am not a fan of the Pumpkin.

Tom Servo
08-30-2021, 08:51 PM
A six year old knows that when you have 2 strikes you swing at anything close - I am not a fan of the Pumpkin.
Yeah but you hate every Reds player though

Playadlc
.169/.255/.363. With subpar defense.

That’s as bad as it gets.

JohnnyBench5
Reds have 3 guys batting .180 or less in starting lineup....as Vince Lombardi would say....WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND HERE?

redsfan9988
08-30-2021, 08:52 PM
It literally happened during Moustakas’ slump “at least Suarez can hit a HR” was the refrain.

I missed that… I think that there was an argument for giving Barerro a shot over a slumping Moose. Castillo is a better choice to bat right now than Geno. And I’m only partially joking about that.

M2
Geno really bums me out.

JohnnyBench5
Hubba Hubba

membengal
Ooooo, Doc Holliday says he is in his prime. Wonder where this goes as the Ringo fella is annoying him. Good lord, they are spitting latin at each other. Quite the turn of events.

TheBigLebowski
That’s all I can take. The management of this franchise at both the field and executive levels is inexcusably terrible.

Not worth getting frustrated.

Ironman92
Yeah Barry said he scores but my impression in real time was not that, it takes a really well placed ball to get Votto home from first and I didn’t think that was one of em.

I’ve watched a ton of baseball the past 35+ years and have a good feel for the speed of the game…..but watching Joey run the bases over the years it feel like he’ll score easily based on how he’s going between 2nd and 3rd and ball out in the OF…..but from 3rd to home his feet pound the ground instead of pushing forward and many times he has surprised me on how far behind he was based on what I was expecting as camera showed him early in the play…..while basically never exceeding where I thought he’d be when ball arrived.

CrackerJack
08-30-2021, 08:53 PM
Not sure how they win a playoff series (or game) if they're this bad against any good lefty. Bell has to do something different, or they need more help.

BluegrassRedleg
Reds have 3 guys batting .180 or less in starting lineup....as Vince Lombardi would say....WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND HERE?

Idiocy.

Rantly

I have stayed neutral on Suarez getting so much playing time thinking he will eventually snap
out of it. Not to be apparently! Reds would probably be 20 games over if he would have had a normal season. Plus another 5 games if Castillo didn’t struggle early.

Playadlc
Back to Tombstone. That Johnny Ringo seems quite the rapscallion. Also, Wyatt Earp, despite being quite married, seems rather taken w/ the touring actress lady.

Best part:

Ike:
What's wrong with him?
[asking about Doc)

Milt Joyce:
Lunger.
Ike Clanton:
Yeah, well I hope you die.

George Foster
Geno really bums me out.

What bums me out is what's going to change next year? He has not made ANY attempt to change his approach.

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 08:54 PM
I’ve watched a ton of baseball the past 35+ years and have a good feel for the speed of the game…..but watching Joey run the bases over the years it feel like he’ll score easily based on how he’s going between 2nd and 3rd and ball out in the OF…..but from 3rd to home his feet pound the ground instead of pushing forward and many times he has surprised me on how far behind he was based on what I was expecting as camera showed him early in the play…..while basically never exceeding where I thought he’d be when ball arrived.

No quick twitch. I think in a straight line, over distance, he runs slightly below average. But that short burst is among the worst in the league.

JohnnyBench5
Ooooo, Doc Holliday says he is in his prime. Wonder where this goes as the Ringo fella is annoying him. Good lord, they are spitting latin at each other. Quite the turn of events.I'll be your Huckleberry....

redsfan9988
Reds win tonight on a Suarez walk off HR. Just to make us all eat it.

Tony Cloninger
08-30-2021, 08:55 PM
Sense of urgency is not in Bell’s thought process. He would not be starting Suarez and Aquino at the same time.

I would try Friedl at this point over Rolando Roomes.

George Foster
08-30-2021, 08:56 PM

He only has a 17% chance of getting a hit. I hope you're right.

membengal
I'll be your Huckleberry....

The huckleberry table appears to be being set, although it has not come to pass yet. Alas, we are at commercials, and I am afeared that the subplot w/ Wyatt and the actress lady is gonna takeover for a bit.

BluegrassRedleg

If that jagoff makes another plate appearance, someone deserves to be fired.

KeefeCato
08-30-2021, 08:57 PM
Sense of urgency is not in Bell’s thought process. He would not be starting Suarez and Aquino at the same time.

I would try Friedl at this point over Rolando Roomes.

Team could really use a Jonny Gomes type to play against LHP.

membengal
08-30-2021, 08:58 PM
Every Reds opponent:

"HELLS COMING WITH ME"

(starts ****ty left-handed pitcher)

redsfan9988
He only has a 17% chance of getting a hit. I hope you're right.

Probably less than that in a high-leverage situation against a good reliever.

JohnnyBench5
Reds BP folds...who would have thunk it...

Alabama Red
08-30-2021, 08:59 PM
I’d rather see Barrero and Lopez play 3rd than MM or ES. At least I’d think they were trying to put a good lineup together. Suarez is supposed to be a veteran professional player and he looks like some beer league player off the street. I don’t know why Moose can’t stay healthy but if it were me and someone was paying me millions to play baseball I would quit eating so much. Maybe his weight doesn’t have anything to do with it but I would remove that thinking from the conversation.

Big Klu

Wyatt and Mattie were never legally married. (Of course, Wyatt and Josephine never got married, either.)

JohnnyBench5
The huckleberry table appears to be being set, although it has not come to pass yet. Alas, we are at commercials, and I am afeared that the subplot w/ Wyatt and the actress lady is gonna takeover for a bit.Freaking Awesome movie!

KeefeCato
Why is Hoffman pitching in a 3-1 game?

NebraskaRed
08-30-2021, 09:00 PM
I can't get mad at Geno. I think he's doing everything possible and nothing's working.

It's probably tied to that shoulder injury, but whatever it is, Geno is doing everything he can. He just can't cut it anymore.

JohnnyBench5
Wyatt and Mattie were never legally married. (Of course, Wyatt and Josephine never got married, either.)Wyatt is smarter than the average bear...

KeefeCato
I can't get mad at Geno. I think he's doing everything possible and nothing's working.

It's probably tied to that shoulder injury, but whatever it is, Geno is doing everything he can. He just can't cut it anymore.

Austin Kearns part 2?

BluegrassRedleg
08-30-2021, 09:01 PM
No robot ump saves us.

JohnnyBench5
Come on Red Legs...pull one out if your arse!

redsfan9988
Apparently all we’ve needed all these years to get Yadi out in a high-leverage situation was Jeff Hoffman. Noted.