6. Niko Goodrum (S) SS
7. Victor Reyes (S) RF
8. Willi Castro (S) 2B
9. Casey Mize (R) P

Ron Madden
09-05-2021, 09:27 AM
Chris McCosky
@cmccosky
So reports of Nick Castellanos opting out of his contract are premature: "Nothing you heard has come from my mouth," he said. "Any speculation about free agency is nothing that's come from my mouth. Right now, the only thing that's next for me is focusing on winning here."

Reds Freak
09-05-2021, 10:10 AM
When was the last time a major league team started five switch hitters?

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Bad news: Mize is the real deal. He's tough.

Good news: He has pitched more innings this year than he ever has at any level. Maybe he's getting tired...hopefully?

Larry Schuler
09-05-2021, 11:12 AM
Took another walk around GABP with my Nikon and got a better shot of the plaque on the front wall of the stadium.

A custodian saw me taking a photo and she told me it was installed in 2009 but the plaque itself was forged in 1978. It was adapted from a speech by a Riverfront Field usher who had been with the team for 89 years. This was their message to all fans who would ever pass through the turnstiles of Riverfront. Apparently, it was commissioned and made that year but the vendor filed for unruly bankruptcy and locked a lot of their projects in a warehouse that was never re-opened. In 2008, a storage auction was held and a family member of Jay Bruce purchased a mystery pallet and this plaque was in there. It was finally installed in 2009 and, within a year of Reds fans seeing it on the front wall, the Reds were in the playoffs. In 2011, a Brandon Phillips banner was placed over the plaque and, from 2014 until 2019, some ivy grew over the more important parts of the message. It was unsheathed once more in the 2019 off-season and the Reds have been in the playoffs ever since. I thanked the custodian for the history and said I would share with others here on the greatest Reds message board on earth, RedLegs Baseball Message Board.

(Above copied and pasted from my account on another Reds forum)

JP321
09-05-2021, 11:20 AM
For him to not opt out would be insane. I just hope the Reds make a competitive offer to keep him. He seems to love the nati and the nati loves him.

JFLegal
09-05-2021, 11:21 AM
sounds good, but what is castellanos going to say to the media in the middle of a playoff race? i'm definitely opting out? of course he's not going to say that.

i would still put the odds of him opting out at 99.9% (and that might be conservative). doesn't mean the reds can't resign him if he opts out, but he will opt out. his market value will be worth far more than 2-years, $16M per year. and don't forget who his agent is. boras will try and get every penny possible.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Mark Sheldon
@m_sheldon

Bell said the #reds will have a roster move coming within the hour to activate reliever Brad Brach.

Big Klu
09-05-2021, 11:37 AM
When was the last time a major league team started five switch hitters?

The Cardinals of the mid-to-late 80's regularly started five switch-hitters:
Vince Coleman
Willie McGee
Tom Herr
Terry Pendleton
Ozzie Smith

Maldez
09-05-2021, 11:37 AM
Took another walk around GABP with my Nikon and got a better shot of the plaque on the front wall of the stadium.

A custodian saw me taking a photo and she told me it was installed in 2009 but the plaque itself was forged in 1978. It was adapted from a speech by a Riverfront Field usher who had been with the team for 89 years. This was their message to all fans who would ever pass through the turnstiles of Riverfront. Apparently, it was commissioned and made that year but the vendor filed for unruly bankruptcy and locked a lot of their projects in a warehouse that was never re-opened. In 2008, a storage auction was held and a family member of Jay Bruce purchased a mystery pallet and this plaque was in there. It was finally installed in 2009 and, within a year of Reds fans seeing it on the front wall, the Reds were in the playoffs. In 2011, a Brandon Phillips banner was placed over the plaque and, from 2014 until 2019, some ivy grew over the more important parts of the message. It was unsheathed once more in the 2019 off-season and the Reds have been in the playoffs ever since. I thanked the custodian for the history and said I would share with others here on the greatest Reds message board on earth, RedLegs Baseball Message Board.

(Above copied and pasted from my account on another Reds forum)

What the heck is it supposed to mean? I don't understand the message.

Larry Schuler
09-05-2021, 11:41 AM
What the heck is it supposed to mean? I don't understand the message.

The message is to believe in the Reds players and they will play well. The more specific idea is that your belief as a Reds fan makes them stronger so they can perform at a higher level. And the science I guess is that a lack of doubt will harden their bones. Some of that is not literal but you get the idea.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 11:57 AM
sounds good, but what is castellanos going to say to the media in the middle of a playoff race? i'm definitely opting out? of course he's not going to say that.

i would still put the odds of him opting out at 99.9% (and that might be conservative). doesn't mean the reds can't resign him if he opts out, but he will opt out. his market value will be worth far more than 2-years, $16M per year. and don't forget who his agent is. boras will try and get every penny possible.

I don't think Nick was lying when he said winning is the only thing on his mind. Opting out wont be till after the Reds play there last game. He is 100% opting out. Reds will have to overpay to keep him. If they do Bob will claim poverty and not fix CF or the Pen. It is life as usual for Reds fans.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 11:59 AM

I don't think Nick was lying when he said winning is the only thing on his mind. Opting out wont be till after the Reds play there last game. He is 100% opting out. Reds will have to overpay to keep him. If they do Bob will claim poverty and not fix CF or the Pen. It is life as usual for Reds fans.
I do hope they never sign another player with these opt outs in their contracts. But that is probably the new thing for agents so they may not have a choice.

Ron Madden
09-05-2021, 12:01 PM
Cincinnati Reds
@Reds
·
5m
Today the #Reds activated from 10-day injured list RHP Brad Brach (right shoulder impingement) and optioned to Triple-A Louisville IF Alejo Lopez.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 12:07 PM
That may keep Barrero in the minors then. Unless they are ready to release Garrett .

JP321
09-05-2021, 12:19 PM
That may keep Barrero in the minors then. Unless they are ready to release Garrett .

Barrero is your starting SS in 2021-2022.... I don't see much point in pushing to have him here now at this point in season with the playoffs on the line.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 12:30 PM

I'm ready ; you're ready . I doubt if the Reds are ready.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 12:41 PM
Barrero is your starting SS in 2021-2022.... I don't see much point in pushing to have him here now at this point in season with the playoffs on the line.

It comes down to would you rather have a 9th reliever or Barrero. I see no need for a 9th reliever. I also so no need for another Shogo on the bench that is what Lopez is. Lopez can't hit the ball hard . Barrero could at least run play defense give Farmer a blow in games that are decided by the 6th inning.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 12:46 PM
According to Five Thirty Eight, the Reds have a 62% chance of making the playoffs. That's down from a high of 78% a week and a half ago.

Odds are 3:2 in favor of a Reds' win today. Neither team is given an advantage due to their starting pitcher for today.( plus 11 for both Mize and Castillo)

Tigers' team rating is slightly less than the Chicago Cubs(that's a bit odd).

Ron Madden
09-05-2021, 12:58 PM
The Reds won’t see their home ballpark for a while after Sunday. They embark on a nine-game trip after the game, all against Central Division foes, beginning with a stop in Chicago on Monday.

Luis Castillo will start the series finale for the Reds. Castillo (7-14, 4.30 ERA) has posted four consecutive quality starts, yet he’s been tagged with the loss in four of his past five outings.

His teammates have scored a total of six runs in those four defeats.

Right-hander Casey Mize (7-7, 3.59) will oppose Castillo. In his most recent outing, Mize gave up three runs on six hits to Minnesota on Monday and took the loss in a 3-2 game. All of the Twins’ runs came in the fourth inning, capped by a Josh Donaldson homer.

He held St. Louis scoreless in a five-inning stint in his previous start, a 4-3 win on Aug. 24. Mize will face the Reds for the first time.
https://www.krqe.com/sports/mlb-baseball/reds-seek-reversal-of-fortune-against-tigers/

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 01:15 PM
Excellent first inning by Castillo

Ironman92
09-05-2021, 01:16 PM
Sadak complimented 1 pitch early but Castillo looked great

Alabama Red
09-05-2021, 01:17 PM
Time to put about 8 runs on this ahole auburn guy.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 01:21 PM
And an even better inning by Mize

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 01:31 PM
Time to put about 8 runs on this ahole auburn guy.

I always root for Alabama against Clemson or Ohio ST. I can't stand that phony Clemson coach and I despise Ohio State. Only team I despise worse than Ohio State is Notre Dame.
But for the life of me I have never understood why Bama fans even care about Auburn. Auburn never has been and never will be Alabama. They are a blip on the map compared to Bama. But I am not from there so that is probably why I don't get it. But they are never going to compete with Bama year in and year out.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 01:31 PM
Castillo lacking controllo

Alabama Red
09-05-2021, 01:36 PM
I always root for Alabama against Clemson or Ohio ST. I can't stand that phony Clemson coach and I despise Ohio State. Only team I despise worse than Ohio State is Notre Dame.
But for the life of me I have never understood why Bama fans even care about Auburn. Auburn never has been and never will be Alabama. They are a blip on the map compared to Bama. But I am not from there so that is probably why I don't get it. But they are never going to compete with Bama year in and year out.
They’re just miserable fans. They’re like a cult.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 01:39 PM
Moose is a scary monster at third. Lot of adventure over at the Moose corner.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 01:39 PM

Sounds like Louisville when it comes to basketball. They actually think they are on par with UK.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 01:41 PM

Auburn?

Alabama Red
09-05-2021, 01:41 PM
Sounds like Louisville when it comes to basketball. They actually think they are on par with UK.
Yep, and auburn fans act like auburn is some special place that is better than any other college. They call themselves family and think everyone likes Alabama only because if football.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Mize threw a couple of really hittable pitches there. Bad AB

Alabama Red
09-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Auburn?
Yes

Ironman92
09-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Sadak complimented 1 pitch early but Castillo looked great

Man Sadak sucks reading a ball off the bat

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 01:44 PM
Yes

Auburn fans still to this day claim UF pumped in artificial crowd noise when they visited The Swamp and got run off the field. They’re dying by the thousands on that hill.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 01:44 PM
Moose misses some hittable pitches. This kid isn’t hitting the edges and corners.

coryfly
09-05-2021, 01:45 PM
I'm not an Auburn or Alabama fan. Really dislike both but Auburn is a good university academically and a great campus.

Alabama Red
09-05-2021, 01:46 PM
Auburn fans still to this day claim UF pumped in artificial crowd noise when they visited The Swamp and got run off the field. They’re dying by the thousands on that hill.
They have an excuse for every loss. It’s always the referee or something else.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Baddoo really tried to sell that as a HBP

Roy Tucker
I’m an Ohio State fan by way of birth and having a degree from there. But sometimes I am embarrassed by my fellow OSU fans.

TheBigLebowski
That dodge was rather effeminate. Looked like he was swatting a bee

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 01:49 PM
Farmer has some hops.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 01:49 PM
Nice, smooth DP

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 01:56 PM
Isn't Mize a 5 inning pitcher at best? Going to have to get to there pen.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 02:01 PM
When did home plate umps become SO bad?

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Reds are off this Thur and Next Mon. So why add a 9 reliever?

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 02:02 PM
When did home plate umps become SO bad?

Probably when they added that strike box. Guessing they have always been bad. We just notice it more.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:03 PM
Routine ground ball to 2B, er, well….

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:04 PM
I don’t know that an extreme shift is a worthwhile maneuver against a guy
like Haase.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:04 PM
Probably when they added that strike box. Guessing they have always been bad. We just notice it more.

I agree. You go back and watch old tapes of games and there were some egregiously called games.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:06 PM
Geez. Mize is done.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 02:07 PM
I figured Mize would go longer than 3 innings, but good for the Reds

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:08 PM
I’m ok with Mize being out. He has good stuff.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 02:08 PM

Didn't someone poison a tree on the Auburn campus? I know it's been some years ago. Was it an Auburn person or Bama person who perpetrated the tree crime? I remember thinking it was really odd .

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:11 PM
Didn't someone poison a tree on the Auburn campus? I know it's been some years ago. Was it an Auburn person or Bama person who perpetrated the tree crime? I remember thinking it was really odd .

Yeah, Toomer’s Corner (I think that’s the name). I think it was an Alabama fan

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 02:14 PM

Big John McSherry, Doug Harvey , Terry Tata , and Harry Wendelstedt seemed so much better.

RedTeamGo!
09-05-2021, 02:15 PM
It was def a Bama fan

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:16 PM
Such awful freaking luck

BCubb2003
09-05-2021, 02:17 PM
Might have been a triple play.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:18 PM
Votto lines one into the shift and Naquin gets doubled off.

I want to grumble about Naquin, but shifts make it harder to figure out where fielders are.

Coopdaddy67
09-05-2021, 02:18 PM
3-5 years ago, that's a hit every single time.

I hate the shift.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 02:20 PM
It was def a Bama fan

So I guess all fan bases are kinda crazy and cult like. I know there's a good percentage of KY fans that treat basketball like religion. The psychology of sports fans would be an interesting field.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:22 PM
Castillo throws such easy gas.

PuffyPig
09-05-2021, 02:22 PM
Votto lines one into the shift and Naquin gets doubled off.

I want to grumble about Naquin, but shifts make it harder to figure out where fielders are.

It’s no secret where the fielders are for Votto. The runner needs to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 02:24 PM
I don't fault Naquin there. It wasn't unreasonable to think that ball could have made it to the outfield, and thus Naquin could have scored there. It just didn't work out.

Alabama Red
09-05-2021, 02:26 PM
So I guess all fan bases are kinda crazy and cult like. I know there's a good percentage of KY fans that treat basketball like religion. The psychology of sports fans would be an interesting field.
It was an Alabama fan named Harvey Updike. He was a retired TX state trooper and I think he had some mental issues. He shouldn’t have done it but the trees were dying anyway from stress. They acted like he murdered a bus full of school kids. With all of the crimes going on they really went overboard with the whole thing.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:27 PM
I don’t agree with Larkin. I thought the SS played it the only way he could. He charges that ball and he gets eaten up.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:28 PM
They have to get to Urena. Caught a very lucky break with Mize leaving after 3. Urena is a batting tee. Righty. Gotta touch him up.

Tucker delivers a single

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Castillo bomb coming up

- - - Updated - - -

Or not

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Shrock seems to hit the ball hard most of the time.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Reds just unlucky. They’re hitting everything hard, just right into the shift.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:32 PM
5 innings no runs. 2IP from Urena.

Don’t waste a quality Castillo start.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 02:33 PM
I hope the Tigers leave Urena in next inning. The Reds will score if they do.

JP321
09-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Reds have hit ball hard last 2 innings.. need Luis to hold this shutout and I think Reds will break through very soon

RedTeamGo!
09-05-2021, 02:34 PM
It was an Alabama fan named Harvey Updike. He was a retired TX state trooper and I think he had some mental issues. He shouldn’t have done it but the trees were dying anyway from stress. They acted like he murdered a bus full of school kids. With all of the crimes going on they really went overboard with the whole thing.

Yeah, NO.

Here’s the poison this scumbag used:

The Environmental Protection Agency considers tebuthiuron to have a great potential for groundwater contamination, due to its high water solubility, low adsorption to soil particles, and high persistence in soil (its soil half-life is 360 days).

In Europe, tebuthiuron has been banned since November 2002.[7]

It’s not just about the trees, this kind of thing is bad for the environment. He got a fine and some jail time, they should have thrown the book at him.

Boston Red
09-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Sorry, late to the party: are the Tigers just limiting Mize's innings? Or did he get hurt?

RedTeamGo!
09-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Sorry, late to the party: are the Tigers just limiting Mize's innings? Or did he get hurt?

Limiting his innings

- - - Updated - - -

I think he was out, but they aren’t going to overturn

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:36 PM
We won’t win this

coryfly
09-05-2021, 02:37 PM
Looked safe to me. Not sure why you pitch the guy there 0-2 when the shift is on.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:40 PM
More bad luck on a bad hop to Votto.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 02:41 PM
More bad luck on a bad hop to Votto.

It was a bad hop, But he never gets in front of the ball. Always playing it off to the side.

BCubb2003
09-05-2021, 02:42 PM
Why isn’t Badoo’s nickname Scoo?

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 02:42 PM
But I don’t get conceding 2B to the runner. At least try to keep him close.

coryfly
09-05-2021, 02:43 PM
Just too many mistakes. Baserunning mistakes, pitching the ball outside earlier, making mistakes on the infield. When your offense sucks you have to be cleaner to win games.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:43 PM
That’s it. Runner on 3rd will score. Playing bad baseball at the worst time.

JP321
09-05-2021, 02:44 PM
Not good

Tom Servo
Way too many ugly innings against a poor team

Coopdaddy67
But I don’t get conceding 2B to the runner. At least try to keep him close.

Votto's right there holding him on too. Potentially GIDP to end the inning unscathed.

TheBigLebowski
And game.

JP321
09-05-2021, 02:45 PM
That throw took forever to get to Tuck

Mitri
It was a bad hop, But he never gets in front of the ball. Always playing it off to the side.

Exactly. Tough play, but you have to get in front of that. And we all know how Castillo withers when a play like that happens...

This team is getting outplayed by the Tigers.

Roy Tucker
No, that wasn’t such a great throw. Kinda lobbed it.

Wonderful Monds
It’s been an interesting season and all, and there’s still a decent chance they make the playoffs.

But even if they do, they’re not going anywhere except a first round knockout again. A team that struggles this much against the Tigers and Marlins is just going to get flattened by the Dodgers or Giants.

They’ve just been decimated by injuries. On top of being overperformers to begin with.

JP321
Much like yesterday, Reds offense needs to explode now

JFLegal
larkin referring to that throw from casty as "a good throw" was extremely generous. truth was, it was a very bad throw. a two-hop throw from relatively shallow right field? weak throw.

coryfly
09-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Looked like he never got set and just threw it all arm.

Redsfan5
09-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Can someone let the tigers know they are 64-73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFLegal
09-05-2021, 02:47 PM
It’s been an interesting season and all, and there’s still a decent chance they make the playoffs.

But even if they do, they’re not going anywhere except a first round knockout again. A team that struggles this much against the Tigers and Marlins is just going to get flattened by the Dodgers or Giants.

They’ve just been decimated by injuries. On top of being overperformers to begin with.

i agree with this. even if they make the playoffs, they would be an extreme longshot to do any damage. but i just want to look back on this season as a "playoff season." that would be a wild success in my book.

RedTeamGo!

The Tigers have been one of the best teams in baseball since June tho

Mitri
larkin referring to that throw from casty as "a good throw" was extremely generous. truth was, it was a very bad throw. a two-hop throw from relatively shallow right field? weak throw.

Cast has looked bad out there lately. He should be in LF or at least part-time DH.

Reds need to reshape this team defensively. It's really hurt them down the stretch.

Alabama Red
Need to answer here with a run or two.

Roy Tucker
Just a poorly played inning all around. How a left handed hitter pulls a ball at GABP and gets a triple I’ll never know.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 02:48 PM
Cubs throwing a LHP against them tomorrow. Not a shocker though. Justin Steele.

mhs95_06
09-05-2021, 02:48 PM
Thick infield grass caused that throw from Castellanos to be a smidge late to get the 3rd run at the plate.

coryfly
09-05-2021, 02:49 PM
Tigers have played better but the Reds have sucked at times against bad teams. Regardless of whether the Tigers have played better if you want to make the playoffs you can't play like they do in games like this.

Billy_Bearcat
Much like yesterday, Reds offense needs to explode now

8 games in a row the opponent scores first? The offense needs to start denting the plate early

BCubb2003
Castellanos vowed to overcome his reputation for poor defense, but he looks like he’s lollygagging in the outfield.

Wonderful Monds
09-05-2021, 02:50 PM

I know they’ve been playing well and all, that’s a factor. But still, in crunch time you gotta figure it out against a team that overall probably isn’t good, and they’ve been ****ting their pants instead for the last couple weeks.

And once you get to the playoffs, the NL west teams are better than this.

Tom Servo
Still not a team you should be possibly losing an important home series to.

JFLegal
Cast has looked bad out there lately. He should be in LF or at least part-time DH.

Reds need to reshape this team defensively. It's really hurt them down the stretch.

well, they won't have to "worry" about casty's defense next year.

i really hope i'm wrong. he's one of my favorite reds in years. absolutely love him (even with his poor defense -- although he has been better this year than last). i just see no way that he will re-sign. boras will want someone to back up the truck. and someone will.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:53 PM
That was an excellent call by the ump. They deserve credit when they get the tough ones right.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 02:54 PM
i agree with this. even if they make the playoffs, they would be an extreme longshot to do any damage. but i just want to look back on this season as a "playoff season." that would be a wild success in my book.

Agree. Even if they somehow manage to win a one game WC round. They are not beating any of the remaining teams in the playoffs in a longer series.
The all or nothing offence and a bad bullpen doesn't stand a chance. But it has been a fun season and the young players look great. Not many teams can run out young players as good as Barrero, Stephenson and India plus Lodolo and Greene.

REDREAD
09-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Chris McCosky
@cmccosky
So reports of Nick Castellanos opting out of his contract are premature: "Nothing you heard has come from my mouth," he said. "Any speculation about free agency is nothing that's come from my mouth. Right now, the only thing that's next for me is focusing on winning here."

I appreciate you posting that, but it doesn't make me feel any better.
Pretty much every player that is a pending FA or has a player's option publicly says that he's open to coming back.. Even Chris Bryant, near the deadline , said that even if he was traded, he'd consider coming back to the Cubs as a FA.. This is supposedly the guy that has a huge grudge for the Cubs manipulating his service time (although maybe that's not true).
It's smart business to say something like that when the pool of employers is only 30 teams.
Who knows, he might opt out and maybe our owner opens the pocket book up since he's a fan favorite.. But I think he will still opt out.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 02:57 PM
Blanked by Mize for 3 (no-hit, actually) and then floundering against Jose Freaking Urena for 2.2 is exceptionally bad. This team is collapsing and I don’t know if they can stop this free-fall. They’re probably going to play slightly below .500 ball the rest of the season and they won’t make the playoffs.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 02:58 PM
And it's just another manic Sunday... I wish it was Monday.

Last Sunday, Jesus, Jesus, and Jesus beat us. Today, it's Scoo Badoo and Candelario.

Btw, I don't know why you pitch to the MLB leader in doubles with a base open and a righty on deck.

RedTeamGo!
09-05-2021, 02:59 PM
Still not a team you should be possibly losing an important home series to.

I know and agree, I’m just saying: this ain’t the Marlins. The reds be choking.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:01 PM
Just a lackluster game.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 03:02 PM
They should have this WC spot all but locked up, but instead they’re pulling a multi-week choke job.

Bruce Berenyi
09-05-2021, 03:02 PM
aquino is the answer

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Votto seems tired. He needs to be rested once a week. Tigers have no problem resting Cabrera. I know they are not in playoff contention. But had the Reds used Stephenson at 1b once a week. Votto may be hitting better down the stretch.

REDREAD
09-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Can someone let the tigers know they are 64-73

I think the Tigers are over 500 since the allstar break..
I think (not sure) they said on TV, since Allstar break, they are 2 over 500.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Cubs, Cards, Marlins, and Tigers... are we really gonna lose series to all of these in crunch time? Pretty stunning.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:08 PM
Interesting cross section of America when the camera was panning the crowd during Gob Bless America.

Tom Servo
09-05-2021, 03:11 PM
Cubs, Cards, Marlins, and Tigers... are we really gonna lose series to all of these in crunch time? Pretty stunning.
It’s incredibly disappointing if so but I guess the nice way of looking at it is that you’d probably have assumed those series losses would have sunk their chances yet they’re still very much in it.

Sweeping the Cubs would go a long way, but you can’t win several games in a row until you win one, and those wins are coming too far and few between.

TheBigLebowski
09-05-2021, 03:11 PM
This is disgusting. Later friends. Not letting these guys taint a nice Sunday with their tomfoolery and shenanigans

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Reds picked a bad month to have a cold stretch.

Just gotta keep at it and things will turn. Sometime but I don’t know when. Don’t give up Reds fans.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 03:15 PM
aquino is the answer

What's the question?

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 03:20 PM
Look what speed can do for you

Larry Schuler
09-05-2021, 03:20 PM
The Reds winning games is not as important as making sure the Phillies, Cardinals, Mets, and Padres lose every game for the rest of this season. If we do that, the Reds walk into the playoffs with a half game lead.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:21 PM
That was a pretty pathetic effort by the Reds’ OF. Baddoo stealing in the pitch but effectively scores from first in a single.

JP321
09-05-2021, 03:21 PM
Well... Go Astros I guess

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 03:23 PM
So is sending out Brad Brach for the Tigers to feast on Diamonnd Dave's way of waving the white flag in this one?

JP321
09-05-2021, 03:24 PM
So is sending out Brad Brach for the Tigers to feast on Diamonnd Dave's way of waving the white flag in this one?

Probably doesn't want to use his strong pen in a game where the Reds have scored 0 runs. Hoped Brach would come in and get a clean inning and hope for rally

coryfly
09-05-2021, 03:26 PM
I don’t really understand the need to call Brach up with so much rest coming. Seems with the offense struggling having as many bat options as possible would be better.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:27 PM

I dunno. Brach wasn’t helped out much by his defense. He walks the lead off hitter and the next guy hits a flare into left center. Reds outfielders needed an alarm clock to wake them up and get their ass in gear. Baddoo was stealing on the pitch but scores from first on a single. Reds are playing with all the verve of a limp noodle. Brach deserves better. I’m pissed.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 03:27 PM
Probably doesn't want to use his strong pen in a game where the Reds have scored 0 runs. Hoped Brach would come in and get a clean inning and hope for rally

Yeah, you're right, except that Brach rarely delivers a clean inning.

Tom Servo
09-05-2021, 03:28 PM
how about a furious comeback here, I vote they do that

mhs95_06
09-05-2021, 03:29 PM
I dunno. Brach wasn’t helped out much by his defense. He walks the lead off hitter and the next guy hits a flare into left center. Reds outfielders needed an alarm clock to wake them up and get their ass in gear. Baddoo was stealing on the pitch but scores from first on a single. Reds are playing with all the verve of a limp noodle. Brach deserves better. I’m pissed.

You walk the lead-off hitter, you deserve all the runs you give up!

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 03:30 PM
I dunno. Brach wasn’t helped out much by his defense. He walks the lead off hitter and the next guy hits a flare into left center. Reds outfielders needed an alarm clock to wake them up and get their ass in gear. Baddoo was stealing on the pitch but scores from first on a single. Reds are playing with all the verve of a limp noodle. Brach deserves better.

You're right, Mr. Tucker, and that's hard to figure when you're tied for a postseason berth in September. You can't sleepwalk through September games.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:31 PM
Quite the AB by Schrock.

NebraskaRed
Really impressive AB

Ky Fried Redleg
You walk the lead-off hitter, you deserve all the runs you give up!

And we've seen that from Brach and his cohorts all season long.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Schrock needs to play everyday no matter what hand the pitcher throws with. Till he proves he can't hit a LHP play him. And get him out of the 8 spot also.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Quite the AB by Schrock.

One of the Reds most professional hitters.

- - - Updated - - -

Schrock needs to play everyday no matter what hand the pitcher throws with. Till he proves he can't hit a LHP play him. And get him out of the 8 spot also.

100% spot on again, Keefe!!!

membengal
09-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Suprised Schrock didn't get a better read on that - thought he would have scored easy.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Aquino I am guessing will hit.

Ironman92
09-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Schrock has to score on that. He had no clue where defense was playing. Tigers scored from first on same hit.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:43 PM
Well, that’s one.

Reds Fanatic
09-05-2021, 03:43 PM
Wild pitch and the Reds finally score

Reds Fanatic
09-05-2021, 03:45 PM
Another good AB as Cabrera walks

NebraskaRed
Cabrera still doesn't have a hit as a Red, but that was a good AB regardless

Tony Cloninger
I just think they hit a wall and look lifeless because of it. They still don’t have enough bullpen depth either even with the deadline additions. Relievers are not used on back to back days hardly at all. No ones asking for guys to go 3 games in a row. They can’t even do 2 though.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Besides Junior and Scooter, I can’t think of many number 3’s on the Reds.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 03:47 PM
Bell should run Deshields for Cabrera here. Deshields will come into game in CF in the top of the 9 anyway.

coryfly
09-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Not sure Castellanos ever saw a strike.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Cast wanted to be the hero so badly there that it cost him

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:49 PM
Cast needs to be better than that. Be patient.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 03:49 PM
Terrible at bat. Hope for a Votto walk. Cause this is a terrible matchup for Joey.

Tony Cloninger
09-05-2021, 03:50 PM
At this point Schrok and Cabrera need to be played more. Might have to give Joey a couple of days off. Not play Suarez at all also.

mhs95_06
09-05-2021, 03:50 PM
Castellanos 0 for 3 on swings against high, back-up, back door sliders off the lefty!

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 03:53 PM
Well, that was most likely their best chance.

RedTeamGo!
09-05-2021, 03:53 PM
Absolute choke-fest

TexasRedsFan
09-05-2021, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately you could tell from the start that Joey had no chance against that lefty. I’d probably give him a day off soon.

And yeah, would’ve liked to see Cast be more patient there.

Strikes Out Looking
09-05-2021, 03:54 PM
Soto managed to strike out Votto and Castellanos while throwing hardly any pitches near the strike zone. This is a failure of scouting/coaching. Reds should have had bases full and a second run walked in.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Well, that was most likely their best chance.

The 9th will be Suarez hitting for Moose followed by Farmer and Barnhart against the LH. So unless Soto gets wild that was the last chance.

Ironman92
09-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Good pitcher won the important battle in the crucial inning

Ironman92
09-05-2021, 03:56 PM
At this point Schrok and Cabrera need to be played more. Might have to give Joey a couple of days off. Not play Suarez at all also.

Joey doesn’t get days off

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:56 PM
I think it’s time for a beer.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 03:57 PM
How big would it have been for the Reds pen to have had Soto in it over Garrett this season? Soto can be and is wild at times. But he can also be dominate from the left side.

Patrick Bateman
09-05-2021, 03:58 PM
Soto managed to strike out Votto and Castellanos while throwing hardly any pitches near the strike zone. This is a failure of scouting/coaching. Reds should have had bases full and a second run walked in.

Yep, Votto needs better coaching. Hopefully some day he learns sone modicum of strike zone judgement.

Coopdaddy67
09-05-2021, 03:58 PM
How big would it have been for the Reds pen to have had Soto in it over Garrett this season? Soto can be and is wild at times. But he can also be dominate from the left side.

Yes, I would like a LHP in the bullpen that can throw 100 combined with a 90+ mph slider.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 03:59 PM
This is what the Reds seem to do against almost any AL team.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Smooth play by Farmer.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 04:00 PM
I think it’s time for a beer.

Or six...

mhs95_06
09-05-2021, 04:01 PM
How will Bell use his remaining pinch hitters in the 9th? Suarez for who, and will Barnhart or Schrock be hit for?

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 04:02 PM
When was the last time Garrett had a 1, 2 ,3 inning? Can't have happened many times this season.

Larry Schuler
Reds are winning this game. They have 3 outs to pad their lead and make it a blowout.

KeefeCato
How will Bell use his remaining pinch hitters in the 9th? Suarez for who, and will Barnhart or Schrock be hit for?

Barnhart is out of the game.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 04:03 PM
Good AB, Geno!

KeefeCato
Why would you not use Deshields in that spot over Suarez?

Ky Fried Redleg

Garrett's failure to perform effectively has REALLY hurt the Reds this season. A dominant lefty would have been such a big help in winning some of those close games that we let get away.

JFLegal
down by 3. walk-prone pitcher on the mound. about the worst thing you can do is swing at the first pitch and not even give him a chance to walk you. you're not hitting a 3-run HR with no one on.

reds play some very dumb baseball at times.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 04:04 PM
Why would you not use Deshields in that spot over Suarez?

No earthly idea.

Mitri
09-05-2021, 04:05 PM
LOL - that's all I got

JFLegal
not sure what was more embarrassing: losing a series to the tigers. or having our own stadium taken over by tigers' fans. when they have been out of the race since may.

NebraskaRed
https://youtu.be/XVGg3atDdU8

Kc61
09-05-2021, 04:06 PM
Reds are running out of gas.

NebraskaRed
Larkin with the fascinating analysis of "Reds should win games instead of losing games"

KeefeCato
not sure what was more embarrassing: losing a series to the tigers. or having our own stadium taken over by tigers' fans. when they have been out of the race since may.

They support there team even in a bad year. Can't be upset about that.

Wonderful Monds
09-05-2021, 04:07 PM
Larkin with the fascinating analysis of "Reds should win games instead of losing games"

Bruce Berenyi currently in shambles

JFLegal
Reds are running out of gas.

doesn't excuse losing a series at home to a bad team like the tigers.

KeefeCato

I hope he doesn't wanna manage. Cause you know Bob would be dumb enough to hire him.

Tom Servo
09-05-2021, 04:08 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/508/121/43f.gif

JFLegal
09-05-2021, 04:08 PM
They support there team even in a bad year. Can't be upset about that.

i mean, good for them (and that seriously is cool of them). just saying it was embarrassing that the tigers (completely out of the race) had louder fans in cincinnati than the reds did (who are in the race).

hell, i'm part of the problem. i wasn't there. i don't live in cincinnati, but i'm a little less than 2 hours away in upper arlington in the cbus area.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 04:09 PM
Lifeless effort today. Bah.

Cold beers on the patio are calling me. Doing some ribs later.

PuffyPig
09-05-2021, 04:09 PM

You must think that it’s really easy to tell if a pitch is going to be a strike with pin one tenth of a second.

Hopefully Votto reads your post, he’ll now know not to swing ar balls.

It hard enough watching the Reds lose, without reading stuff like this.

It’s like this is your first baseball game. And you are watching with your eyes closed.

Castillo gets most of his K’s on pitches out of the zone.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 04:10 PM

All teams are running on fumes at this point in the season. Every team plays 162 games. It is up to the manager to see your starters get rest throughout the season. India has not been rested enough. Farmer has not been. Votto should be told you are sitting once a week at the start of the season.

PuffyPig

Tigers are not a bad team.

Patrick Bateman
Soto has walked like 30 guys in 60 innings. He is wild but it’s not like he walks everyone. Good stuff, you make it seem a pile easier than it really is. Getting behind 0-1 is death against him too.

Cast at bat was so bad though. He has hitters counts, pitches nowhere near his hit spot and swung at trash. That one bugged me the most.

cumberlandreds
09-05-2021, 04:11 PM

Tigers are actually playing very well. They are well over .500 since about mid-May. They just got off to a horrific start that they couldn't overcome. If the Reds had played them in April they would have swept them. Just bad schedule timing. Also Reds are running out of steam fast. Unless they can get some second wind from somewhere I can see them spiraling out of the wild card hunt pretty fast.

Mitri

Honestly it's #2. Outside a small group of fanatics and the occasional fan needing some mid-summer entertainment, nobody cares about the Reds. Franchise seems sort of doomed.

Tom Servo
It's the nearly 3 scoreless innings from Jose Urena and his 6.00 ERA that get my goat. I know the Tigers got a few breaks there given Urena gave up 5 hits, but that's simply where you need to put up runs.

Roy Tucker

He kinda meandered around some vague point and eventually came up with that gem. Barry doesn’t want to offend the front office.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 04:12 PM
Soto has walked like 30 guys in 60 innings. He is wild but it’s not like he walks everyone. Good stuff, you make it seem a pile easier than it really is. Getting behind 0-1 is death against him too.

Cast at bat was so bad though. He has hitters counts, pitches nowhere near his hit spot and swung at trash. That one bugged me the most.

He has the drive to be the big hero. Sometimes that really pays off, sometimes that causes him to perform like he did there.

Patrick Bateman
Tigers are not a bad team.

They are improving, and beating up on bad teams… but still look like a 75ish win team these days. Not a push over, but disappointed how they felt better most of the series.

Ky Fried Redleg
Lifeless effort today. Bah.

Cold beers on the patio are calling me. Doing some ribs later.

Hard to beat ribs!!!

PuffyPig
down by 3. walk-prone pitcher on the mound. about the worst thing you can do is swing at the first pitch and not even give him a chance to walk you. you're not hitting a 3-run HR with no one on.

reds play some very dumb baseball at times.

I actually said the same thing. It’s not often I agree with anything you say, but you were bang on here.

Soto had already thrown quite a few pitches, your best chance to score 3 runs was for him to throw lots of pitches and get a few walks.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 04:13 PM
i mean, good for them (and that seriously is cool of them). just saying it was embarrassing that the tigers (completely out of the race) had louder fans in cincinnati than the reds did (who are in the race).

hell, i'm part of the problem. i wasn't there. i don't live in cincinnati, but i'm a little less than 2 hours away in upper arlington in the cbus area.

I would be there several times a season as well. I can't health won't allow it. But after school starts back even on the weekends Reds crowds are awful. We keep hearing how Cincinnati is a baseball town. Well then PROVE IT SHOW UP TO THE PARK LOCAL REDS FANS. Brewers stadium is almost always packed. Cardinals and Cubs the same.

RiverfrontRed
09-05-2021, 04:14 PM
This is what’s called folding down the stretch.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 04:14 PM
It's the nearly 3 scoreless innings from Jose Urena and his 6.00 ERA that get my goat. I know the Tigers got a few breaks there given Urena gave up 5 hits, but that's simply where you need to put up runs.

Yes that is where the game was lost. Not putting up runs off of him.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 04:15 PM
They are improving, and beating up on bad teams… but still look like a 75ish win team these days. Not a push over, but disappointed how they felt better most of the series.

That's what had me downtrodden watching these games. The Tigers just seemed like the better team for most of the series. Another bad series against the Cubs could be too much of a downer to overcome.

OldFashionedRed
09-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Honestly it's #2. Outside a small group of fanatics and the occasional fan needing some mid-summer entertainment, nobody cares about the Reds. Franchise seems sort of doomed.

Do you want honest answers? I love my Reds. Votto has regressed to something appropriate for his age. Castellanos isn't resigning with the club.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 04:16 PM
All season it has felt like the Reds never make it easy on themselves by blowing leads (even if they eventually win) or giving up runs late in the game when they should have cruised to an easy win.

Now it seems like they're doing the same thing by blowing a lead for the WC and making this last stretch much harder on them than it needed to be.

Wonderful Monds
09-05-2021, 04:18 PM

I think it’s just a matter of the people of Cincinnati needing more from them before they really start showing up loyally again. They showed up in 2012 when they were one of the best teams in baseball.

But still, I’m 31 years old and it’s been since I was 5 the last time they won a postseason series. For most of the season, they’ve looked like a good but not great team. I think there’s been a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop all year because they haven’t given the average rando much reason to expect otherwise for quite a while.

Wonderful Monds
09-05-2021, 04:21 PM
Yeah I’m not really sure what’s up with Votto. He’s as cold now as he was hot a month or so ago.

I thought maybe fatigue would explain some since it’s late in the season for a guy nearing the end of his career, but he did also sit out a handful of weeks back in May too. So I’m not sure that necessarily explains such a substantial drop off lately.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 04:21 PM
I think it’s just a matter of the people of Cincinnati needing more from them before they really start showing up loyally again. They showed up in 2012 when they were one of the best teams in baseball.

But still, I’m 31 years old and it’s been since I was 5 the last time they won a postseason series. For most of the season, they’ve looked like a good but not great time. I think there’s been a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop all year because they haven’t given the average rando much reason to expect otherwise for quite a while.

Maybe Larkin was right. Maybe the Reds should win games instead of losing them.

I don't know.

Bushman
09-05-2021, 04:30 PM
You can be cruel and call them "choke artists" or be realistic and call them mediocre. Your choice.

NebraskaRed
09-05-2021, 04:33 PM
You can be cruel and call them "choke artists" or be realistic and call them mediocre. Your choice.

Mediocre or not, they're currently holding the 2nd wild card.

They exceeded most people's expectations this year despite ownership handicapping them last offseason.

Whether or not they make it to the playoffs, I don't understand the negativity.

Roy Tucker
09-05-2021, 04:33 PM
I would be there several times a season as well. I can't health won't allow it. But after school starts back even on the weekends Reds crowds are awful. We keep hearing how Cincinnati is a baseball town. Well then PROVE IT SHOW UP TO THE PARK LOCAL REDS FANS. Brewers stadium is almost always packed. Cardinals and Cubs the same.

I make it down there for 1-2 games a month. But it’s the casual fan they don’t get as much. Too many people out here in the burbs that are still afraid to go downtown.

Tony Cloninger
09-05-2021, 04:45 PM

They exceeded most people's expectations this year despite ownership handicapping them last offseason.

Well haven’t you heard? The franchise is doomed. Appears they have no fans. They should fold and move to India.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 04:49 PM
I make it down there for 1-2 games a month. But it’s the casual fan they don’t get as much. Too many people out here in the burbs that are still afraid to go downtown.

I had no idea Cincinnati was any more dangerous than any other city. But I am not from there so I don't hear the local news and know everything that goes on crime wise either.
But Cincinnati is not nor has it ever been the Baseball capitol of the world. Like the Reds like to claim it is. First Pro. team and oldest but that is as far as that goes.

JFLegal
09-05-2021, 04:52 PM

not doubting you, but weird if true. back when i was in college and we used to go down to a lot of reds' game (mid-90s) over-the-rhine was the place you absolutely did not want to go to. now? OTR is like the hipster capital of cincinnati. (not that that's good, just saying it's safe now and didn't used to be.)

also, the banks didn't exist back then, and the banks is fantastic.

so, i imagine you are talking about older reds fans who have not experienced the "new experience" yet. downtown is far from what it used to be.

KeefeCato
09-05-2021, 04:58 PM
I can understand small crowds in Sept. if the team is out of the race. I don't understand half empty stadium on a Sun. when they are as of the start of today's game in the playoffs. You would think that place would be packed.
All that does is give Bob excuses to dump more payroll in the offseason.
Yet people will probably pack Paul Brown stadium next Sun. When everybody on earth knows they are finishing last in the division and likely not winning more than 4-5 games.
Maybe Cincinnati is now a scorer town.

DocRed
09-05-2021, 05:03 PM
"Have lost 8 of 12 games, including 4 straight series
2 of 3 Brewers
2 of 3 Marlins
2 of 3 Cards
2 of 3 Tigers"

https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister/status/1434608522520670208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1434608522520670208%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Foh io-state%2FBoard%2FOhio-State-Buckeyes-Message-Board-Forum-120%2F

OldFashionedRed
09-05-2021, 05:05 PM

I think people got excited when the Reds got really hot after the All-Star break. Putting up runs, Castillo was better. And, then we got some bullpen help and things got a little better. But, then .... the hitting regressed to what it was early on and the starting pitching began to wear down as most pitchers do. So here we are, a team in contention for a wildcard spot and showing no indication that they area safe bet to win the wildcard game. I can definitely understand the negativity. Just because a team beat YOUR expectations doesn't mean they are really any good. Almost no speed, terrible baserunning IQ. Almost never see an outfielder flat out dive for a ball.
A manager who has almost no sense of when to take players out of the game, though I did see an improvement when he took out Castillo the other day. And our manager makes out a lineup card, and then says "Okay, let's go with gut instinct and re-does the card seemingly without any logic applied. In fact, I see them in third place in the NL Central here before long. Doesn't make me anything less than a Reds fan.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Maybe Larkin was right. Maybe the Reds should win games instead of losing them.

I don't know.

Barry is a deep guy. A real philosopher...

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 05:13 PM

It's not the former; it's the latter. I'm sorry to RZ members who gave me verbal beatdown for boasting the Reds were better than they really were. You were right; I was wrong.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 05:21 PM

I agree. Mediocre or not, I love the Reds and this bunch has given us some excitement and some unexpected success this season. They are most definitely flawed but , for me, it's as much about the journey as the final destination. Whether this team has enough to make its way into the postseason is yet to be determined, but they've been fun to watch for a good portion of the season. It just seems they are lacking the steam they need to push themselves over the finish line. Almost seems this Reds' Machine is running out of gas. I hope they have a final burst in them.

Ron Madden
09-05-2021, 06:02 PM
They had their chances to put up enough runs to win the game, they just couldn't come up with the big hits when they really needed them.

You never know, that ball Votto smashed right at the first baseman for an inning ending double play could have made a big difference if it wasn't a right at'em ball.

Bushman
09-05-2021, 06:06 PM

Man, I guess I'm just starved for a winner here in Cincy, and these Reds are our best chance. It's hard to see them get this close and perhaps I'm afraid they're just blowing it. Nothing I'd rather see than them make a run and get deep in the playoffs.

PuffyPig
09-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Reyes gives up the Granny, bottom of the 9th, as the Cards choke away a 4 run lead, lose 6-5.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Man, I guess I'm just starved for a winner here in Cincy, and these Reds are our best chance. It's hard to see them get this close and perhaps I'm afraid they're just blowing it. Nothing I'd rather see than them make a run and get deep in the playoffs.

Hang in there. It still could happen. None of the teams we are competing with are all they great, either. It will probably come down to which team is playing the best ball the last week or ten days before the end of the season.

Tom Servo
09-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Reyes gives up the Granny, bottom of the 9th, as the Cards choke away a 4 run lead, lose 6-5.

https://i.imgur.com/QONVIyz.gif

Ky Fried Redleg
09-05-2021, 06:24 PM

WOW, talk about a team choking away games it should have had locked up. That Cardinal BP is a mess. Can you imagine the whining going on over at RedbirdZone?

Ron Madden
09-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Reds picked a bad month to have a cold stretch.

Just gotta keep at it and things will turn. Sometime but I don’t know when. Don’t give up Reds fans.

This too shall pass.

As for me, I'm not about to give up.

Tony Cloninger
09-05-2021, 06:51 PM

This will really upset the Cardinal oh I mean Reds fans on this board.
They love to tell all of us how great they are and how soon the Reds will be in 3rd place.

PuffyPig
09-05-2021, 06:51 PM
Why would you ever give up anyway.

Especially since the other teams keep losing too.

DocRed
09-05-2021, 07:19 PM
Padres, Phillies, Brewers, Braves, Mets all won today. Only the Cardinals lost today.

GullyFoyle
09-05-2021, 07:34 PM
Winning games is fun to watch … if the Reds where 20 games over .500 and a lock for a playoff series like the Brewers they would be drawing crazy crowds.

Being 8 games over and 1 of 4 teams fighting for a play-in for a real playoff spot is not the same thing as “fighting for the playoffs”. Wild card and division winner are very different things, as they should be.

For the average fan this team is mildly interesting … and that’s on ownership.

Maldez
09-05-2021, 09:27 PM
The message is to believe in the Reds players and they will play well. The more specific idea is that your belief as a Reds fan makes them stronger so they can perform at a higher level. And the science I guess is that a lack of doubt will harden their bones. Some of that is not literal but you get the idea.

I get the "Never doubt them" part, and I guess "Makes their bones strong" in a roundabout way, but it's "The wishbone C" that still leaves me wondering.

Larry Schuler
09-05-2021, 09:51 PM
I get the "Never doubt them" part, and I guess "Makes their bones strong" in a roundabout way, but it's "The wishbone C" that still leaves me wondering.

It is a metaphor for the C on the Reds’ hats and jersey.

REDREAD
09-05-2021, 11:33 PM

Other than the Walt years (which were great), Carl Linder and Bob Castallani have not given a crap about the fans or winning.
Look how ill prepared they were for this season. Yes, the Reds ended up contending for the 2nd wildcard, but it was kind of in spite of ownership. Reds' ownership were probably mad they were pressured to get Givens and Cessa.

Maldez
09-06-2021, 01:46 PM
It is a metaphor for the C on the Reds’ hats and jersey.

Ah, OK...thx.