4. Max Muncy (L) 1B
5. Justin Turner (R) 3B
6. Chris Taylor (R) CF
7. Gavin Lux (L) LF
8. Austin Barnes (R) C
9. Max Scherzer (R) P

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 10:56 AM
Scherzer is due for a bad game. Let's hope it's this one.

CaiGuy
09-18-2021, 11:39 AM
Sigh, hardly knew ya Winker.

Ron Madden
09-18-2021, 11:44 AM
C. Trent Rosecrans
@ctrent
Jesse Winker is going to be examined again today, Reds manager David Bell said. "We're still concerned based on what happened last night with that swing," Bell said. Winker felt something on the swing before he was hit by a pitch.

Alf_Red_E
09-18-2021, 11:49 AM
I considered it yesterday, but I reconsidered and decide that today id the biggest game of the season

KeefeCato
09-18-2021, 12:02 PM
hopefully he can make it back soon. But doesn't sound good.

Kc61
09-18-2021, 12:21 PM
No blame, it’s a playoff race, but Winker didn’t seem healthy last night and he basically admitted it in his pre-game statement.

I’d rather have him sitting out than playing hurt.

Reds are fortunate that Schrock can play some LF, at whatever level, he’s a decent LH bat and helps with Wink and Naquin both out. Injuries, boo.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 12:49 PM
I still don't understand why Bell doesn't swap Castellanos and Schrock. Minimize the amount of time Schrock has to do anything out there.

Red Raindog
09-18-2021, 01:22 PM
I still don't understand why Bell doesn't swap Castellanos and Schrock. Minimize the amount of time Schrock has to do anything out there.

I'm guessing the thinking is that if they switched then both of them would be playing positions that they don't normally play.

DocRed
09-18-2021, 01:27 PM
DeShields over Akiyama? Ok.....

Coopdaddy67
09-18-2021, 01:30 PM

Why would you shift an already poor defender to a position he's not accustomed to playing, making both corner OF slots even more of a problem?

Shogo is banged up.

KittyDuran
09-18-2021, 01:30 PM

Is he hurt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KittyDuran
09-18-2021, 01:33 PM
Just saw a Valenzuela jersey…which makes up for guy in jorts last night. [emoji6]

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 01:47 PM
Shogo and Winker on the 10-day IL

TJ Friedl and Art Warren called up

DocRed
09-18-2021, 01:59 PM
Should have started Friedl then...

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:11 PM
Keys to the game:

-Win the game
-Don't lose the game

KittyDuran
09-18-2021, 02:11 PM
Lots of Dodger blue[emoji3064].https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210918/3c116aaada5c619d84ac69541e941717.jpg

Kc61
09-18-2021, 02:14 PM
Reds have now lost to the IL their three true LHH outfielders, Winker, Naquin and Shogo.

Schrock’s late conversion to LF is a huge help. He can hit and he’s trying hard in LF.

Glad they have Friedl as a backup. Given the options, I’m ok with today’s starting OF choices.

Kc61
09-18-2021, 02:17 PM
Should have started Friedl then...

No way.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:18 PM
Good first inning for Gray

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:25 PM
Reds went 1-2-3 but India and Schrock both hit the ball well

Kc61
09-18-2021, 02:25 PM
While I love pitching Gray today, this is a very tough game for Reds to win. Scherzer is an artist out there and Reds aren’t hitting much.

Just have to hang tough and hope for a couple of breaks. No score, anything can happen.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:30 PM
And even better 2nd inning for Gray.

TexasRedsFan
09-18-2021, 02:31 PM
Votto and Moose simply must start doing damage from the middle of that order for Reds to have any shot.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:34 PM
Votto worked a walk.

First walk issued by Scherzer in September.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 02:35 PM
Come on Moose. Time for your 70th hit in two seasons.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:39 PM
Farmer with a scorcher for the first hit of the game.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Moose vs. Scherzer... the biggest mismatch since Ga Tech creamed Cumberland(TN) 222 to 0.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Moose has never seen a pitch a foot or more off the plate that he doesn't like. As soon as he had two strikes I knew that he wouldn't have the discipline (Larkin mentioned it lol) to lay off anything thrown to home plate. Not only that, but the guy's swing looks really slow. Is he losing strength, too?

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:41 PM
Barnhart had no idea what to do with those pitches.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 02:44 PM
Something that I'm seeing in replays is that the Reds are WAY out in front of pitches. As boring and cliche as Larkin is, he does talk about "staying back". If you do that, you have a better read on whether a pitch will end up in the strike zone. But, then you have to have the bat speed to still make contact. Maybe the guys are being encouraged to look at some 'imaginary spot' that's closer to the pitcher? Kinda' like in basketball when you're told to focus on something other than the front of the rim.

Kc61
09-18-2021, 02:45 PM
Moose has never seen a pitch a foot or more off the plate that he doesn't like. As soon as he had two strikes I knew that he wouldn't have the discipline (Larkin mentioned it lol) to lay off anything thrown to home plate. Not only that, but the guy's swing looks really slow. Is he losing strength, too?

Please, enough.

This is one of the very top pitchers in baseball. Moose is a three time all star who’s been injured. Nobody else has hit him except for a walk and little dribbler that went for a hit.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 02:47 PM
Please, enough.

This is one of the very top pitchers in baseball. Moose is a three time all star who’s been injured. Nobody else has hit him except for a walk and little dribbler that went for a hit.

False. Not talking about the pitcher. Moose has no concept of what a strike is, at this point. It's not even about injury. He's swinging at literally everything. Yes, the pitcher is great, but a strike's a strike. Swing at strikes, and we'll go from there.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:48 PM
3 innings, no hits, only 26 pitches thrown.

RedsFanInMS
09-18-2021, 02:48 PM
Please, enough.

Has been a three time all star is the key. Moose is not good right now and hasn't been good as a Red. Injured or not. Your man crush on Moose is strange.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:51 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Gray does the second time thru the order, but he has been incredible so far.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 02:51 PM

One of Webster's definitions of "slow" in it's new collegiate dictionary is "like or pertaining to Reds' infielder, Mike Moustakas."

Seriously, I want the guy to be exceptional but I think the time for that has passed. As you mentioned, he's slow, undisciplined, and just seems lost and confused. I hope somehow it can turn around but it doesn't look promising. At this point, I think I would give Suarez his ABs .

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 02:53 PM
I like Gray driving up the pitch count for Scherzer.

Kc61
09-18-2021, 02:54 PM
False. Not talking about the pitcher. Moose has no concept of what a strike is, at this point. It's not even about injury. He's swinging at literally everything. Yes, the pitcher is great, but a strike's a strike. Swing at strikes, and we'll go from there.

I assure you, Mike Moustakas has a concept of what a strike is.

And the pitcher is not just some footnote. Scherzer makes most hitters look bad.

This is the way tough playoff-type games go. Usually the pitchers make things very tough.

Wonderful Monds
09-18-2021, 02:55 PM
Moose vs. Scherzer... the biggest mismatch since Ga Tech creamed Cumberland(TN) 222 to 0.

Shut up, Jesus Christ.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 02:55 PM
India hit it almost where he hit it in the first inning, but a little harder and that results in a double.

- - - Updated - - -

Gray out performing Scherzer and some of you can't stop posting about Moose's one AB

Kc61
09-18-2021, 02:58 PM
Not a bad approach by Cast, hitting that to RF, just hung up there for third out.

Reds getting a few baserunners, keep plugging away.

Ironman92
09-18-2021, 02:58 PM
With the Dodgers….hitters are only 1 for 36 with RISP

That’s decent

VR
09-18-2021, 03:04 PM
Dude can fly.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:04 PM
Bad throw by Moose

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why that was scored a hit

coryfly
09-18-2021, 03:08 PM
Yeah, should be an error. Should also probably be Saurez playing there anyway.

TexasRedsFan
09-18-2021, 03:09 PM
Gray at 40 pitches through 4. So far, among his best games as a Red.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:09 PM
Gray should have been out of that inning much earlier, but he still gets out of it just fine.

Kc61
09-18-2021, 03:10 PM
Bad throw by Moose

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why that was scored a hit

Scored a hit because one of the fastest runners in baseball beat out a slow grounder.

Official Scorer doesn’t assume fielder should throw out that runner on a slow grounder.

09-18-2021, 03:11 PM
Just a terrible official ruling by the official scorer.

It clearly was an error. But more importantly, that was the first hit of the game for the Dodgers. If they go back and change it, like they should, it will now look like they are trying to protect Gray’s no hitter.

Ironman92
Hopefully O’nora is ok

Kc61

It clearly was an error. But more importantly, that was the first hit of the game for the Dodgers. If they go back and change it, like they should, it will now look like they are trying to protect Gray’s no hitter.

This is wrong.

Scored a hit because one of the fastest runners in baseball beat out a slow grounder.

Official Scorer doesn’t assume fielder should throw out that runner on a slow grounder.

The ball beat the runner. If it’s fielded cleanly, it’s an out. Clearly an error. End of story.

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 03:12 PM

If Gray gets thru 9 with no other hits, his agent has 3 days to appeal, correct?

Kc61
09-18-2021, 03:13 PM
The ball beat the runner. If it’s fielded cleanly, it’s an out. End of story.

Scorer considers that it’s a slow roller and a very fast runner. He can’t assume the out. Doesn’t matter if it’s almost an out. He considers the factors making it a tough play.

Sorry, that’s a base hit.

TexasRedsFan
09-18-2021, 03:13 PM

Speedy runner yes, but a good throw there still gets him. Should’ve been an error and not spoil Gray’s line.

09-18-2021, 03:14 PM
Scorer considers that it’s a slow roller and a very fast runner. He can’t assume the out. Doesn’t matter if it’s almost an out. He considers the factors making it a tough play.

Sorry, that’s a base hit.

That is not how it works. You have to assume a clean throw. If the fielder makes the play, but makes a poor throw, it’s an error.

We’ve seen this before, where a fielder makes an amazing diving stop, but their throw is off line. That’s an error and has always been called an error.

That’s the way it has always been and the way it should be.

Kc61
09-18-2021, 03:16 PM
Speedy runner yes, but a good throw there still gets him. Should’ve been an error and not spoil Gray’s line.

Sorry but that’s not the way they do scoring. It’s the degree of difficulty.

Fast runner, slow roller, it’s going to be a hit. Official scorer won’t assume an out in that situation.

Has nothing to do with Sonny Gray’s line, it’s the correct decision.

If it was a routine grounder or a slower runner, probably it would be an error.

Kc61
09-18-2021, 03:18 PM
That is not how it works. You have to assume a clean throw. If the fielder makes the play, but makes a poor throw, it’s an error.

We’ve seen this before, where a fielder makes an amazing diving stop, but their throw is off line. That’s an error and has always been called an error.

That’s the way it has always been and the way it should be.

Like I said, this is wrong. It’s a difficult play, you don’t assume it will be made. Slow roller, fast runner, difficult play.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Dodgers announcers were surprised it was ruled a hit

Including some no-name former player named Orel Hershiser

09-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Sorry but that’s not the way they do scoring. It’s the degree of difficulty.

Fast runner, slow roller, it’s going to be a hit. Official scorer won’t assume an out in that situation.

Has nothing to do with Sonny Gray’s line, it’s the correct decision.

If it was a routine grounder or a slower runner, probably it would be an error.

Moose made a regular play on the ball and still had time to get the runner with a good throw. Even if we go with your degree of difficulty, that play was not so difficult that an average fielder couldn’t get an out. The play speaks for itself.

KeefeCato
09-18-2021, 03:20 PM
Clearly a error. It will be changed most likely.

Kc61
09-18-2021, 03:20 PM
Moose made a regular play on the ball and still had time to get the runner with a good throw. Even if we go with your degree of difficulty, that play was not so difficult that an average fielder couldn’t get an out. The play speaks for itself.

Nope, that’s not how it works. If they switch it it’ll be to help Gray out. That’s a base hit.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:22 PM
4 pitch walk for Votto

Red Buckeye
09-18-2021, 03:23 PM
Mike Pop Up Moustakis sucks.

NebraskaRed
1 pitch out for Moose

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see what Moose offers that Geno doesn't, at this point.

Tom Servo
now that was a truly awful AB by Moose, tbd if his being fat had anything to do with it

Nope, that’s not how it works. If they switch it it’ll be to help Gray out. That’s a base hit.

Yes it is, and that is how it always has been.

We have seen countless times when a fielder makes a great play to get to a ball that should be a hit, but then makes a poor throw. That has always been an error. And that is the way it should be.

You can separate the play into many parts. If the fielder makes a mistake on any part, that’s an error.

TheBigLebowski
09-18-2021, 03:24 PM
I am so sick of Mike Moustakas.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 03:24 PM

Why are you defending a player who's been terrible with the Reds, who came to the team overweight (has nothing to do with game-shape), who swings at EVERYTHING? A player who knows a strike is Votto. Moose either has poor plate discipline, or really needs his eyes checked. Your choice.

Wonderful Monds
09-18-2021, 03:25 PM
Why are you defending a player who's been terrible with the Reds, who came to the team overweight (has nothing to do with game-shape), who swings at EVERYTHING? A player who knows a strike is Votto. Moose either has poor plate discipline, or really needs his eyes checked. Your choice.

Shut up, Jesus Christ.

NebraskaRed
It's a choice between two bad players, but at least Geno will occasionally get a hit

Ironman92
Moose didn’t make a good throw but on the other end Votto was far off first (assuming he was positioned there per scouting report/dugout and was a bit late getting to the base and his set up and momentum was going more towards the home plate side of the bag…..having to stretch the other direction he was slightly off balance and the ball got to his glove and hit glove before it hit ground.

If Votto is positioned 1 step closer to first or gets to first early enough to be balanced for a missed throw either direction….he catches that every time. Ball did not bounce to him.

Moose has to do better but with Votto’s speed/range whoever placed him there with Turner running cost Votto from being able to stretch and catch it for the out.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 03:26 PM
Mike Pop Up Moustakis sucks.

Careful, you'll get creamed saying that. He's still looking for his 70th base hit in a season and a half. It would seem your assessment is spot on.

Wonderful Monds
I desperately request a moratorium on boomers being allowed to register to this board. Please Boss, I’m begging you.

TexasRedsFan
1 pitch out for Moose

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see what Moose offers that Geno doesn't, at this point.

I’m so frustrated with both I’d be willing to try Farmer at 3B and Barrero at SS.

coryfly
09-18-2021, 03:27 PM
It's a choice between two bad players, but at least Geno will occasionally get a hit

I have been all aboard the bench Saurez a lot but this is so silly to me because he actually was having a decent stretch. He finally starts to hit a little and Bell benches him because he is obsessed with handedness. If any player could benefit from playing once he starts hitting well it would seem to be Saurez.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 03:28 PM
Shut up, Jesus Christ.

No, you're not going to tell people to "shut up" because you don't like hearing the truth.

coryfly
09-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Ugh, strike two and three not even close to the strike zone.

NebraskaRed
Barnhart strikes out because he absolutely refused to take a walk

Wonderful Monds
No, you're not going to tell people to "shut up" because you don't like hearing the truth.

Yeah I am actually, dumbass.

Once again: shut up

Red Buckeye
09-18-2021, 03:30 PM
Careful, you'll get creamed saying that. He's still looking for his 70th base hit in a season and a half. It would seem your assessment is spot on.

Haha he has been a monumental letdown.

Ky Fried Redleg
Barnhart with no clue. Swung at two ball four pitches in the dirt. Oh well, "That's baseball," isn't it Tuck.

NebraskaRed
Barnhart deserves mockery for that AB

Tom Servo
I have been all aboard the bench Saurez a lot but this is so silly to me because he actually was having a decent stretch. He finally starts to hit a little and Bell benches him because he is obsessed with handedness. If any player could benefit from playing once he starts hitting well it would seem to be Saurez.
Just because he was finally starting to occasionally get hits as a platoon guy doesn't mean he was about to start hitting well as a regular. If anything it shows that the platoon role was the only way he would hit at all.

He and Moustakas are both pretty damn bad, I guess you can prefer one over the other but making it out to be some no-brainer seems ridiculous to me.

Kc61
Scherzer has now pitched 33.2 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run.

He last was charged with an “L” at the end of May.

Tom Servo
09-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Barnhart with no clue. Swung at two ball four pitches in the dirt. Oh well, "That's baseball," isn't it Tuck.
Damn I'm never gonna get tired of this bit.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:32 PM
Just because he was finally starting to occasionally get hits as a platoon guy doesn't mean he was about to start hitting well as a regular. If anything it shows that the platoon role was the only way he would hit at all.

He and Moustakas are both pretty damn bad, I guess you can prefer one over the other but making it out to be some no-brainer seems ridiculous to me.

When Moose came off the IL, I thought he needed some time to get going. He's had that time and he's clearly not going to get on base regularly.

Geno is bad but Geno has been better lately.

with so few games left, it is a no-brainer.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 03:32 PM
Yeah I am actually, dumbass.

Once again: shut up

I won't resort to personal attacks, the only thing I can do is report your attacks.

Ironman92
09-18-2021, 03:33 PM
Moose to the bench….now, mid inning

coryfly
09-18-2021, 03:34 PM

Yeah, they are both bad. I just see both as pretty bad options but Saurez as a better defender (at third at least) who can occasionally hit a homer. I will admit I am a big fan of letting guys play when they are hitting though. I think peaks and valleys are pretty legit in baseball when it comes to hitting. I am also not a huge fan of being tired down to righty and lefty though.

And here is another example of Moose screwing things up because he is not only a terrible hitter but terrible fielder.

NebraskaRed
So again, it is a no-brainer. Moose needs to go.

OldFashionedRed
What was that, Moose? :angry:

TexasRedsFan
Ok, I agree now that Suarez deserves another shot. Moose just isn’t helping the team.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:35 PM
And there you go. 2-0 Dodgers with someone on third and no outs.

I guess that should have been a hit because Taylor is a fast runner ;)

Wonderful Monds
I won't resort to personal attacks, the only thing I can do is report your attacks.

Please cry harder about it. I have had all I can take listening to both of you randos spewing this complete nonsense screaming at clouds BS. I have never wanted a couple of new users to this board to go away as much as you two.

Red Raindog
Moose to the bench….now, mid inning

He has been a mammoth disappointment in every way

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 03:36 PM
I desperately request a moratorium on pampered millennials being allowed to register to this board. Please Boss, I’m begging you.

fixed it lol

TexasRedsFan
Damn, I was afraid that delay would throw Gray off his rhythm.

Ironman92
Giving the Dodgers freebie runs with Scherzer on the mound seems like a bad idea

Maldez
09-18-2021, 03:37 PM
Mike Meat Moustakas

coryfly
That was a tough break on the triple. Good hit on a pretty decent pitch.

Monster Man
Ok, I agree now that Suarez deserves another shot. Moose just isn’t helping the team.

He’s hurting the team every time he plays. Out of shape, can’t hit, can’t play defense.

Wonderful Monds
fixed it lol

Genius dude, your comedic mastermind knows no bounds. Just absolutely killing it once again.

elrojo
09-18-2021, 03:38 PM
If he can't hit, could he at least field?

OldFashionedRed
Suarez needs to be playing going forward.

Ironman92
Sonny good play

coryfly
Thanks goodness Gray fielded that instead of Moose.

Boss-Hog
If you guys can't have a discussion without personal attacks, you need to put each other on ignore and move on. Otherwise, consider yourselves warned.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:39 PM
If the choice is indeed between Geno and Moose (what a choice!), then I don't see what Moose brings to the table.

Would someone who is in favor of giving Moose starts please explain what the benefit is?

Tom Servo
When Moose came off the IL, I thought he needed some time to get going. He's had that time and he's clearly not going to get on base regularly.

Geno is bad but Geno has been better lately.

with so few games left, it is a no-brainer.
He's been better lately...against LH pitching. I think he might have hit one HR against a RH in a blowout win.

Now if Moose is gonna be this bad on defense, then yeah he probably shouldn't be playing at all. Barrero/Farmer on that side would be the best infield defense.

Ironman92
If you guys can't have a discussion without personal attacks, you need to put each other on ignore and move on. Otherwise, consider yourselves warned.

Ok….I’m deeming this the perfect time to turn it around and rally.

Go Reds

dakota42
3 runs feels like game over with MS on the mound but maybe we can get something going.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 03:40 PM
Was that a bunt-swing? Couldn't have been tapped any better. Great fielding by Gray.

- - - Updated - - -

3 runs feels like game over with MS on the mound but maybe we can get something going.

I would like to see a double-switch, Moose and Barnhart out. Suarez and Stephenson in. We need runs, badly.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:41 PM
He's been better lately...against LH pitching. I think he might have hit one HR against a RH in a blowout win.

Now if Moose is gonna be this bad on defense, then yeah he probably shouldn't be playing at all. Barrero/Farmer on that side would be the best infield defense.

I mean, yeah. What is the benefit of giving Moose starts? He isn't hitting, he doesn't work walks, he's obviously bad defensively. I don't see any upside whatsoever.

I just wish the alternative wasn't Geno, but that's where we are.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 03:42 PM
I mean, yeah. What is the benefit of giving Moose starts? He isn't hitting, he doesn't work walks, he's obviously bad defensively. I don't see any upside whatsoever.

No metrics in front of me, but Suarez to my eye seems a little better in the field and at the plate.

Ironman92
I know what Thom would be saying

NebraskaRed
Dodgers announcers giving Votto the business for his defense today.

Ironman92
Yep

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 03:43 PM
Larkin......please, it was an awful throw. Better off eating that one. I don't think that should be an error on Votto.

Tom Servo
09-18-2021, 03:44 PM

I'm not sticking up for Moustakas, he's clearly real bad right now. I guess I just view this big bump in Suarez appreciation that it's inspired as a real "dog returning to it's vomit" situation. He's made plenty of back breaking errors too, in addition to his 5 months of not hitting.

But he isn't fat so I guess he's got on his side for RZ purposes.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:44 PM
Good thing Votto's error wasn't costly, but what in the world is going on with the Reds defense today.

coryfly
09-18-2021, 03:45 PM

That's me. I am no fan of Saurez but I don't think Moose does anything well. Saurez plays solid at third, will walk here and there, and hits some homers. Moose doesn't strike out as much as Saurez but a pop out is basically the same. Saurez should never play SS though. If it were up to me they would play Barrero and Farmer instead of either but they won't do that.

Wonderful Monds
09-18-2021, 03:45 PM
I'm not sticking up for Moustakas, he's clearly real bad right now. I guess I just view this big bump in Suarez appreciation that it's inspired as a real "dog returning to it's vomit" situation. He's made plenty of back breaking errors too, in addition to his 5 months of not hitting.

And give it one week of Geno starting and sucking up the whole joint, and absolutely guaranteed the sun deck crew we’ve got here with us now would start doing the whole “Geno needs to be benched for the rest of the season” act

09-18-2021, 03:46 PM
Remember when the Reds had too many third baseman?

Wonderful Monds
09-18-2021, 03:47 PM
Remember when the Reds had too many third baseman?

It’s the Spinal Tap drummer of Reds position players

NebraskaRed
And give it one week of Geno starting and sucking up the whole joint, and absolutely guaranteed the sun deck crew we’ve got here with us now would start doing the whole “Geno needs to be benched for the rest of the season” act

Maybe, but the choice is between Geno and Moose (unless there are other options that I'm not aware of).

That's a choice between two bad players, but the choice is clear regardless.

Kc61
All of these Reds misplays were fast Dodger runners nearing first base. Puts pressure on the defense and leads to mistakes.

Much easier to defend station-to-station teams like the Reds.

Can’t emphasize enough how much lack of speed and defense hurts the Reds.

coryfly
09-18-2021, 03:48 PM

Perhaps. I think most would prefer anyone else other than Saurez and Moose but the organization won't do that. So if it has to be one or the other right now I think Saurez makes the most sense. Again, if it is a choice between two options.

Fil3232
09-18-2021, 03:49 PM

You reporting an attack from a poster because you continually attack a player is *rich*

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:50 PM
This game was flying by and then suddenly slowed way way down.

Wonderful Monds
Maybe, but the choice is between Geno and Moose (unless there are other options that I'm not aware of).

That's a choice between two bad players, but the choice is clear regardless.

I mean if I had my choice, they’d be doing Farmer at 3B and Barrero at SS. And one or both of Geno and Moose to the IL with the various injuries that are seemingly hobbling them.

Kc61
Suarez lost weight and seems quicker this year at third base. I think he’s been pretty good defensively.

He just strikes out so damn much.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:51 PM
I mean if I had my choice, they’d be doing Farmer at 3B and Barrero at SS. And one or both of Geno and Moose to the IL with the various injuries that are seemingly hobbling them.

Well, that just makes too much sense. It won't happen.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:53 PM
Dodgers just might be trying to hit the ball to Moose at this point.

Ironman92
09-18-2021, 03:54 PM
Ball shall find you…not an error and basically I’d expect Arenado and Freeman to finish that play on Turner

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 03:56 PM
Suarez lost weight and seems quicker this year at third base. I think he’s been pretty good defensively.

He just strikes out so damn much.

As desperate as that is, if he's beating Moose in one of those categories, you play him.

- - - Updated - - -

Gray looks upset, and understandably so. This could get ugly.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Dodgers announcers continually giving Votto the business over his defense today.

Coopdaddy67
09-18-2021, 04:01 PM
Dodgers announcers continually giving Votto the business over his defense today.

Who are they?

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 04:02 PM
Gray has pitched great today, IMO. The defense and offense let him down.

NebraskaRed
Who are they?

Orel Hershiser and...Joe Davis I think?

Wonderful Monds
Who are they?

Anal Hershiser

coryfly
09-18-2021, 04:03 PM
Yeah, Gray has been pretty good against a good team. Hard to make up for bad defense.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:03 PM
My expectations for this game were low since Scherzer was pitching, but I did not expect this kind of shoddy defense.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 04:05 PM

From what I've read, seems like most are saying that they are both bad options but that Geno is less bad and hence should play instead of Mike. Just play the least bad of the two. That would seem to be E. Suarez. He can field ground balls, he can throw balls and he can hit some homers. Mike can't field balls, he can't throw balls, he can't hit balls. You have to be able to do something right with balls. Play Geno and/or Barerro the rest of the year.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 04:05 PM
I expected the team to show up today and keep it close.

Wonderful Monds
09-18-2021, 04:07 PM
From what I've read, seems like most are saying that they are both bad options but that Geno is less bad and hence should play instead of Mike. Just play the least bad of the two. That would seem to be E. Suarez. He can field ground balls, he can throw balls and he can hit some homers. Mike can't field balls, he can't throw balls, he can't hit balls. You have to be able to do something right with balls. Play Geno and/or Barerro the rest of the year.

I’m not even opposed to the idea that Geno should be starting since he was going into a bit of hot streak at least compared to the rest of his season, I just don’t think it’s the absolute slam dunk move it’s made out the be given that they both suck this season. The real no brainer is Farmer at 3B.

Tom Servo
09-18-2021, 04:08 PM
Sonny deserved better than 4 runs allowed though the extra 2-3 might just be superfluous.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:11 PM
Cast's numbers have been in free fall the past week and a half or so.

TexasRedsFan
09-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Dodger lineup is so stacked you just can't afford to make mistakes. Especially if you're struggling to score runs like the Reds are.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 04:13 PM

I don't think, given the odds of going deep in the playoffs this season, that it would be a bad idea to play Geno and Barrero the rest of the season.

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 04:16 PM

His skills have diminished to where he has to swing at everything to have a better chance to hit anything!

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:17 PM
2 nice Ks for Hoffman

TexasRedsFan
09-18-2021, 04:22 PM
I’m not even opposed to the idea that Geno should be starting since he was going into a bit of hot streak at least compared to the rest of his season, I just don’t think it’s the absolute slam dunk move it’s made out the be given that they both suck this season. The real no brainer is Farmer at 3B.

I'd say Farmer at 3B and Barrero at SS is absolutely worth a trial.

coryfly
09-18-2021, 04:23 PM
I'd say Farmer at 3B and Barrero at SS is absolutely worth a trial.

Yeah, I think every fan wants that. Just not the people who matter.

Tom Servo
09-18-2021, 04:24 PM
Jeff Hoffman is actually good as a relief pitcher. Go figure.

NebraskaRed
Beating Scherzer was going to be tough no matter what.

Without the shoddy defense, the Reds would still be down at least a run.

Red Raindog

But he isn't fat so I guess he's got on his side for RZ purposes.

It's not an either or to me.

I have been thinking for some time the Farmer / Barreo left side of the infield is the best option.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 04:26 PM
Beating Scherzer was going to be tough no matter what.

Without the shoddy defense, the Reds would still be down at least a run.

And who wouldn't take that?

Instead we got guys up there swinging with their #2 clubs to balls at their ankles.

Next season calls for more than a new season.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Put in Garrett and see what happens.

Very unlikely that the Reds win this now.

Tom Servo
09-18-2021, 04:28 PM
Well at least this generations greatest LH pitcher isn’t starting tomorrow against a team that can’t even hit crappy LH pitching.

Hold on a second…

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:29 PM
The return of Art Warren

RedsFanInMS
09-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Jeff Hoffman is actually better as a relief pitcher than he was a starter but is still not good. Go figure.

Fixed it for you

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 04:30 PM

I think you are right on with this observation. Geno goes OPS of 1.400 for a week and then sits every other day. Doesn't make sense.

KeefeCato
09-18-2021, 04:32 PM
Warren will be a nice bull pen piece next year.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 04:33 PM
I think tomorrow's game is a must win. Otherwise, we are looking at three or four games out in the loss column with 12 games remaining. May be three games out in the L column even if we do win tomorrow. Absolutely have to have tomorrow's game, imo.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Warren finally gets Turner to strikeout

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 04:34 PM
If the choice is indeed between Geno and Moose (what a choice!), then I don't see what Moose brings to the table.

Would someone who is in favor of giving Moose starts please explain what the benefit is?

To send Geno a message!

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 04:36 PM
Dodgers announcers giving Votto the business for his defense today.

I can't see the game today due to Suddenlink foibles, but it sounds as if my 1st and 3rd defensive concerns from last night are coming to fruition today.

NebraskaRed
It's crazy to think that the Dodgers will end up with 100+ wins and they could be out of the playoffs in one game (when the Reds beat them, of course).

TexasRedsFan
Muncy has generated a lot of wind this series.

KeefeCato
09-18-2021, 04:38 PM
Not often talked about. But sure wish Turner had stayed in the Reds organization.

Ironman92
09-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Well at least this generations greatest LH pitcher isn’t starting tomorrow against a team that can’t even hit crappy LH pitching.

Hold on a second…

Sign Adam Dunn for a game….put him on 3rd

CaiGuy
Can't get over the irony of the Suarez longing.

NebraskaRed
Good job by Warren

Red Raindog
09-18-2021, 04:41 PM
Can't get over the irony of the Suarez longing.

When you're in a deep well even a short ladder looks promising...... ancient proverb told to me by someone

REDREAD
09-18-2021, 04:43 PM
well, looks like TJ Fredl's fans will get to see him hit..

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I think every fan wants that. Just not the people who matter.

This fan does not want Farmer at 3B, and Barrero needs to wait until Reds are out of it or next year to prove he can hit in MLB, but not from SS.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:44 PM
well, looks like TJ Fredl's fans will get to see him hit..

#FriedlFanatics

Ironman92
09-18-2021, 04:45 PM
You guys can all get mad but Friedl looks like half of the Cardinals lineup

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:47 PM
Let Moose pitch the 9th

coryfly
09-18-2021, 04:48 PM
Let Moose pitch the 9th

If there are three lefties coming up Bell may do it.

KeefeCato
09-18-2021, 04:49 PM
You guys can all get mad but Friedl looks like half of the Cardinals lineup

Looks like he could be a Freel type player.

Tom Servo
09-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Fixed it for you
Had a 2.75 ERA in 19.2 innings with 27 strikeouts as a reliever before that last scoreless inning where he struck out Mookie Betts. That’s “not good”?

Red Buckeye
09-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Gonna have to get the W against Kershaw tomorrow.

And gonna have to SWEEP Pittsburgh.

KeefeCato
09-18-2021, 04:52 PM
So which Red is going to hit a game tying slam in the bot of the 9th?

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 04:53 PM
So which Red is going to hit a game tying slam in the bot of the 9th?

We all know the answer is Moose.

CaiGuy
09-18-2021, 04:54 PM
We all know the answer is Moose.

He'll hit a walkoff grand slam. Cuz us fat guys get extra credit.

Or something.

NebraskaRed
Moose could have gotten him out. He didn't touch first.

- - - Updated - - -

And who could have seen this coming from Amir?

Ky Fried Redleg
Will anyone get their feelings hurt if I say Pujols looks a little on the chunky side?

KeefeCato
09-18-2021, 04:55 PM
Garrett says no game tying slams today. I will see to that.

CaiGuy
09-18-2021, 04:56 PM
Will anyone get their feelings hurt if I say Pujols looks a little on the chunky side?

You've never hurt anybody's feelings, we just think it's dumb.

coryfly
Had a 2.75 ERA in 19.2 innings with 27 strikeouts as a reliever before that last scoreless inning where he struck out Mookie Betts. That’s “not good”?

Yeah, Santillian has been great and Hoffman has been very solid.

NebraskaRed
Moose and Pujols having a conversation about cake or pie or something.

I guess I should add that I am mocking the fat jokes.

CaiGuy
09-18-2021, 04:57 PM

I have no problem with returning Hoffman in a long relief role at all.

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 04:57 PM
Garett guaranteed to not get the blown save.

CaiGuy
09-18-2021, 05:00 PM
Garett guaranteed to not get the blown save.

I am on the defensive side when it comes Reds players, but AG just isn't good anymore. Not sure what keeping him around this long has accomplished. I don't see tendering him an offer

coryfly
09-18-2021, 05:02 PM
I am on the defensive side when it comes Reds players, but AG just isn't good anymore. Not sure what keeping him around this long has accomplished. I don't see tendering him an offer

I don't think many think he is worth keeping but my guess is it depends on the price. If they can get him cheap they may make an effort to say they can get him right or something.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 05:03 PM
In the end, these game threads were just about the friends we made along the way.

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 05:06 PM
I don't think many think he is worth keeping but my guess is it depends on the price. If they can get him cheap they may make an effort to say they can get him right or something.

Lots of pitchers you can get cheap give up unforced 4 pitch walks to a .219 avg #8 batting catcher!

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Haha this game

Tom Servo
09-18-2021, 05:09 PM
the comeback has commenced

09-18-2021, 05:11 PM
Forcing Roberts to use Jensen here could be big tomorrow.

coryfly
09-18-2021, 05:12 PM

Yeah, outside of actually coming back at least that is something.

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 05:13 PM
The lefty wasn't captive on the mound anymore by the time Geno got up to bat!

coryfly
09-18-2021, 05:14 PM
Cabrera is the option is Saurez gets on? Yeesh.

Tom Servo
09-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Ah, well. Nevertheless.

NebraskaRed
09-18-2021, 05:18 PM
Keys to the game:

-Win the game
-Don't lose the game

Looks like someone forgot the keys to the game.

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 05:18 PM

I don't think he was forced into it, just a few pitches to get tuned up to be more ready for tomorrow.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 05:26 PM
Moose and Pujols having a conversation about cake or pie or something.

I guess I should add that I am mocking the fat jokes.

I had a great one about a certain Reds player, Denny's breakfast menu, and a grand slam but I passed. Didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. A little levity and sense of humor would help some folks. The Reds' collapse has been frustrating. I'd rather laugh than cry. Some just want to cry.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 05:29 PM
Bad hitting and bad defense today. That combo will never beat the Dodgers.

REDREAD
09-18-2021, 05:36 PM
Barnhart on the postgame
"Just one of those days" (said twice)
"Not worried about it" (said twice)
"There were errors, but hey, that's going to happen, I'm sure it will correct itself without doing anything" <might be slightly paraphrased, but that was close>

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 05:41 PM
Barnhart on the postgame
"There were errors, but hey, that's going to happen, I'm sure it will correct itself without doing anything" <might be slightly paraphrased, but that was close>

Barnhardt should be sent packing. He dosen't "get it."

09-18-2021, 05:47 PM
Barnhart on the postgame

Every player is coached to say exactly those things in every interview. Didn’t you ever see Bull Durham?

DocRed
09-18-2021, 06:03 PM
2 E's by Moose....awful. Need to start starting Eugenio even against righties.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 06:07 PM

I agree. Just play Geno and/or Barerro the rest of the way.

Fil3232
09-18-2021, 06:14 PM
Barnhardt should be sent packing. He dosen't "get it."

I guarantee he “gets it” 1000000x more than anybody here

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2021, 06:55 PM
Barnhart on the postgame

This comes close to explaining his approach at the plate. He goes up there swinging at stuff that almost bounces to the plate, and goes back to the dugout without any apparent disappointment in what just transpired. The attitude of this team needs a serious adjustment, but I put a bit of that on not having any depth on the bench. When guys start feeling pressure to perform or sit, you tend to see less of this sort of thing and what Barnhart said after the game. Competition for playing time should be a contributing factor on how guys approach things.

Thisyear
09-18-2021, 06:57 PM
I guarantee he “gets it” 1000000x more than anybody here

Yep class act, average player but he is one of tbe hardest workers. Do you want him bashing his team, you don't do it in the media.

Thisyear
09-18-2021, 06:59 PM

If I remember correctly you advocated for Suarez to be in tbe minors all season. Do you not expect Moose to have rust when he couldn't walk for months?

Cadenza
09-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Doesn’t make any difference if you can’t score runs.

mhs95_06
09-18-2021, 10:43 PM
Reds go 3 back in the loss column as StL wins their 7th straight with 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th to win 3-2 after the 3 up, 3 down save to seal it.

Redsfan6272
09-18-2021, 11:02 PM
Reds go 3 back in the loss column as StL wins their 7th straight with 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th to win 3-2 after the 3 up, 3 down save to seal it.

Sure wish our Reds wanted urgency to win... losing too losing teams when they had the easiest schedule of all the teams.. so frustrating.. no depth to count on..just sucks!

Thisyear
09-18-2021, 11:16 PM

Hate to see it but I as well as a few others were told not to worry about the Cardinals. I think one was the great Tom Servo and anyone who mentioned what everyone knew was going to happen got killed. I think a whole host of people owe FCB an apology. You all say you are life long Reds fans, you must not of watched theast 26years.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-18-2021, 11:26 PM
Hate to see it but I as well as a few others were told not to worry about the Cardinals. I think one was the great Tom Servo and anyone who mentioned what everyone knew was going to happen got killed. I think a whole host of people owe FCB an apology. You all say you are life long Reds fans, you must not of watched theast 26years.

Castillo gave the Cardinals a lifeline and they took it and ran with it. I don't look for them to lose many more this season. Hate to say it but they deserve the last playoff spot. They will throw Wainwright against the Dodgers/Giants in the WC. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Cards win that game. If the Reds hold on to the 4 to 0 lead in the middle game in St. Louis the Cardinals would have been toast...finito...done. Luis and the Reds can think about that one all winter.

OldFashionedRed
09-19-2021, 01:00 AM
Boils down to poor lineup construction with guys who wouldn't be in most any good teams' lineup. No speed, no patience, every man for himself.

KeefeCato
09-19-2021, 06:11 AM

I said the Cardinals would be the competition about 3 weeks ago. I said the Padres were done. That wasn't some great prediction though. Padres have by far the most talent. They would have won the WC had they not been decimated with injuries. They just handed the Cardinals a game Friday night by having to start a pitcher who was just released by another team this week. That is how beat up they are.

Thisyear
09-19-2021, 06:47 AM
I said the Cardinals would be the competition about 3 weeks ago. I said the Padres were done. That wasn't some great prediction though. Padres have by far the most talent. They would have won the WC had they not been decimated with injuries. They just handed the Cardinals a game Friday night by having to start a pitcher who was just released by another team this week. That is how beat up they are.

Well you were right then. There were a whole lot that said don't worry about them and they were clearly wrong. FCB was the most vocal and got crushed. Anyone who wasn't worried about the Cardinals have not watched the last 26years. Yes, you were also one of these who attacked anyone who was not positive. Being a realist is frowned on.

KeefeCato
09-19-2021, 10:24 AM
Well you were right then. There were a whole lot that said don't worry about them and they were clearly wrong. FCB was the most vocal and got crushed. Anyone who wasn't worried about the Cardinals have not watched the last 26years. Yes, you were also one of these who attacked anyone who was not positive. Being a realist is frowned on.

Never attacked anyone who wasn't positive. I called out one in particular who is negative all the time. And destroyed another board that we used to post on. Him and a couple others all but shut it down. Place is empty now.
I am negative but also positive. There is many things to be negative about this team but also many reasons to be positive.

Thisyear
09-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Never attacked anyone who wasn't positive. I called out one in particular who is negative all the time. And destroyed another board that we used to post on. Him and a couple others all but shut it down. Place is empty now.
I am negative but also positive. There is many things to be negative about this team but also many reasons to be positive.

Ok, completely understand. Don't get me wrong I waste 4months 3hrs a day watching them. I love them, but gosh sometimes it is hard to be positive watching the same story. I just don't get if someone isnt openly trolling why they can't have negative opinions. It makes you no less of a fan. This is not directed at you as I said your reasoning makes sense.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-19-2021, 12:26 PM
Ok, completely understand. Don't get me wrong I waste 4months 3hrs a day watching them. I love them, but gosh sometimes it is hard to be positive watching the same story. I just don't get if someone isnt openly trolling why they can't have negative opinions. It makes you no less of a fan. This is not directed at you as I said your reasoning makes sense.

Been a fan for over 50 years. Spent many of a night with a transistor up to my ear while lying in bed at 2 am in the morning listening to the Reds finish a west coast game on a school night. Probably have over 25,000 hours of time invested in listening to, watching, writing about, or talking about Reds baseball. They've been a part of my life since I was 7 years old. I've earned the right to cheer them on and also criticize a player or player(s) for not pulling his weight for the team(pun possibly intended). This has been both a fun and frustrating season. We had about a 75% chance of making the playoffs until a poorly timed blowing of a 4 run lead in St. Louis, which would have all been ended the Cardinals' chances. Very hard to swallow but I will swallow hard and be back out in support of the team next season.