6. Keibert Ruiz (S) C
7. Carter Kieboom (R) 3B
8. Andrew Stevenson (L) LF
9. Paolo Espino (R) P

Ron Madden
09-24-2021, 02:08 PM
Cincinnati Reds
@Reds
The Reds tonight will suit up in their #LosRojos alternate jerseys.

cumberlandreds
09-24-2021, 02:23 PM
Plan A tonight should be to walk Soto every time. The guy is on fire right now and just does no good to pitch to him.

Alf_Red_E
09-24-2021, 02:37 PM
Plan A tonight should be to walk Soto every time. The guy is on fire right now and just does no good to pitch to him.

For some crazy reason the Reds seems to want to pitch to everyone, frequently letting the best hitter beat them.

Larry Schuler
09-24-2021, 02:54 PM
I know they will lose by 1 run but I have no idea what the final score will be. I’ll be tuning in live to find out.

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 03:44 PM
I know they haven't been eliminated yet. But we all know it is over. So why on earth don't they release Cabrera and bring up Lopez? If for no other reason to reward Lopez for his fine season in the minors. And I am not one who thinks Lopez is a lock to make a big league bench either. But reward the guy for his play. Give him a spot on the team to finish out the year.
Also SS or CF just play Barrero everyday from here on out. I wanna see him play.

END RANT.

Ron Madden
09-24-2021, 04:32 PM
The Nationals lineup has been added to the original post

Ron Madden
09-24-2021, 04:41 PM
federalbaseball
@federalbaseball

Juan Soto said #Reds' Joey Votto told him good AB/ swing on single: "Just to see a guy like that, like Joey Votto, one of the guys who walks more & strikes out less in the league telling me that was a good at-bat, it’s something that made me proud, & made me want more and more.”

Larry Schuler
09-24-2021, 05:14 PM
The Reds were losing. Votto should have frowned at him and said “I can’t talk right now. My team is losing.” I’m friggin tired of this.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 05:20 PM

Agree completely but that won't be the plan. Too sensible.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 05:22 PM
For some crazy reason the Reds seems to want to pitch to everyone, frequently letting the best hitter beat them.

Yep. Arenado, who had been swinging a lot stick , did it back to back in two of the biggest games of the season.

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 05:24 PM
The Reds were losing. Votto should have frowned at him and said “I can’t talk right now. My team is losing.” I’m friggin tired of this.

I agree. Votto has no fire /no longer elite. Votto should have tripped him. Bell fails to motivate Votto to trip players. I mean make it look like a accident but DO SOMETHING TO FIRE UP THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 05:30 PM
I know they haven't been eliminated yet. But we all know it is over. So why on earth don't they release Cabrera and bring up Lopez? If for no other reason to reward Lopez for his fine season in the minors. And I am not one who thinks Lopez is a lock to make a big league bench either. But reward the guy for his play. Give him a spot on the team to finish out the year.
Also SS or CF just play Barrero everyday from here on out. I wanna see him play.

END RANT.

Poor Isdreadful Cabrera. A lot of us wanted him when we acquired him and now we want to throw him away. Maybe the Reds have big plans for him next season.

elrojo
09-24-2021, 06:28 PM
Optimist.

Larry Schuler
09-24-2021, 07:17 PM
You gotta enjoy those brief moments when the Reds make a good play. It’s all we have now.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 07:19 PM
Eugenio on the ball on that play (no pun intended).

Larry Schuler
09-24-2021, 07:21 PM
You gotta enjoy those brief moments when the Reds make a good play. It’s all we have now.

That double play was a nice short moment in time when following the Reds was fun. I am thankful for that moment.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 07:22 PM

I'm in total agreement unless the bases are loaded. Then again...

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 07:25 PM
That double play was a nice short moment in time when following the Reds was fun. I am thankful for that moment.

Yup. I still remember Hal King's bomb against the Dodgers.

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 07:26 PM
They just want to season to end. I am starting to think they may not finish over .500
Lets put ourselves in there place for a minute though. In the race till a few days ago. But just couldn't get over the hump. Go from playing very meaningful baseball down the stretch to out of it in a blink of an eye. Now they are just wanting next Sunday evening to get here ASAP. I can't blame them at this point.

NatiRedGals
09-24-2021, 07:37 PM
They just want to season to end. I am starting to think they may not finish over .500
Lets put ourselves in there place for a minute though. In the race till a few days ago. But just couldn't get over the hump. Go from playing very meaningful baseball down the stretch to out of it in a blink of an eye. Now they are just wanting next Sunday evening to get here ASAP. I can't blame them at this point.
If that's the way they feel then manager shouldn't be the manager there professionals you think the pirates quit? They freaking beat us for goodness sake

Joeyjection19
09-24-2021, 07:40 PM
Hoegaarden and lasagna. What's your coping mechanism?

Kc61
09-24-2021, 07:48 PM
Reds are trying, they’re competitors. Sonny Gray is trying to mow down the Nats.

But there’s a natural let down. The team (with injuries) isn’t very good, they are all disappointed, probably distracted.

I don’t blame them, but it’s tough to watch. I’m not sure if Reds are focused on the end of the season - but I am.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 08:09 PM
Pirates have been out of playoff contention for months and yet they have played much more inspired and showed more energy than the Reds over the last five or six weeks(and won a lot more series). In fact, in the last two Reds/Pirates series, the Bucs looked like the team playing for a postseason berth.

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 08:09 PM
There is a chance of losing more than 81 games. Would be a real letdown.

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 08:11 PM
I hope the pitching holds up next year. Except for Castillo, these are pretty good numbers.

Before today's game, here's the starters: Record ERA WHIP (career WHIP)

Miley 12-7 3.37 / 1.33 (1.38)
Mahle 12-6 3.66 / 1.22 (1.34)
Gutierrez 9-6 4.53 / 1.37 (first year)
Gray 7-8 3.84 / 1.18 (1.22)
Castillo 8-16 4.05 / 1.35 (1.22)

Next year could make this year's club look like a world series contender if we don't patch up the offense.

Ky Fried Redleg

Reds can't hold a candle to the Pirates and Nationals right now. Sad.

RedForLife

And TinkerBell got a 2 year extension. This FO is only about counting $$$$$$$$.

gagliano
09-24-2021, 08:12 PM

END RANT.
I agree, but i'm guessing they're trying to avoid a losing record.

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 08:15 PM
Folks half the Pirate roster is playing for there roster spot next season. The Reds are coming off a huge let down getting eliminated. Huge difference. Same for nations. They have many roster spots up for grabs.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 08:15 PM
And TinkerBell got a 2 year extension. This FO is only about counting $$$$$$$$.

Marriages can sometimes be anulled. Can managerial contract extensions be anulled?

Red Raindog
09-24-2021, 08:16 PM
Boos from fans for Sonny there with that miserable bunt attempt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SomeCallMeTim
09-24-2021, 08:18 PM

Netflix and Amazon Prime.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 08:19 PM
I'm a bit worried about the pitching for next year.

I would rather Lodolo and Greene pitch in the show than waste another year in AAA. The experience with the Reds next year would be much more valuable. The experience gained facing ML hitters instead of AAA hitters would only serve to make them better in the years to come.
How about a rotation of Castillo, Mahle, Miley, Greene and Lodolo. Who knows, it might work beyond expectations.

Tom Servo
09-24-2021, 08:21 PM
Just saw one of the runs allowed was a HR to Alcides Escobar. That's true "we have given up" stuff.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 08:23 PM
Schrock that!

TheBigLebowski
09-24-2021, 08:23 PM
These guys have no pride.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 08:25 PM

I have over 40,000 songs (mostly Heavy Metal) on my hard drive. Coping isn't an issue. Go Reds!

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 08:25 PM
I agree, but i'm guessing they're trying to avoid a losing record.

At this point, and with this collapse, they're better off securing as good a draft position as possible. Sit the starters, send Aquino, Shogo, Garett packing. Just do it. Bring up whoever that Lopez kid is. Move people around. Ticket sales are shot, they'll be worse next year IMO.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 08:27 PM
If I was cynical I’d say Nick has already opted out as if September first.

But I’m not so I’ll say he’s a streaky guy who has more BA in his streaks than EBH

Plus I hate his RF play

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 08:33 PM
No need to worry about Nick. He may want to opt-out.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 08:34 PM
I know I am probably in the minority, but I believe when you are wearing the jersey of the very first professional baseball team and you are performing in front of a different paying audience every night, you give the same effort and you try to play with the same amount of zeal and passion that you would if all the marbles were on the line. Pete Rose would.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 08:34 PM

Go ahead

He’s a DH anyway

Kc61
09-24-2021, 08:35 PM
Folks half the Pirate roster is playing for there roster spot next season. The Reds are coming off a huge let down getting eliminated. Huge difference. Same for nations. They have many roster spots up for grabs.

I agree, Pirates never were in the race. Different situation from Reds.

Castellanos is really in a funk. That last at bat was pretty awful. He’d better hope those GMs around the league aren’t watching.

OldFashionedRed
I know I am probably in the minority, but I believe when you are wearing the jersey of the very first professional baseball team and you are performing in front of a different paying audience every night, you give the same effort and you try to play with the same amount of zeal and passion that you would if all the marbles were on the line. Pete Rose would.

He absolutely would. I think those days are past. What's the game going to look like in 2030?

westofyou

Pete Rose would also hit on your underage daughter so let’s move on from the hyperbole

westofyou
09-24-2021, 08:37 PM
He absolutely would. I think those days are past. What's the game going to look like in 2030?

More like today’s game than the one 35 years ago

Are ya ready?

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 08:37 PM
These guys have no pride.

Good word choice, TBL. That word has been on my mind all day.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 08:38 PM
Good word choice, TBL. That word has been on my mind all day.

Saw a few of those flags today around my neighborhood

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 08:40 PM
More like today’s game than the one 35 years ago

Are ya ready?

I'm not. I know it's not the way greed works, but for a change could just leave the damn game alone and worry about drafting, developing, trading and releasing? Leave my game alone!

- - - Updated - - -

I will be disappointed if Farmer is the starting SS next year.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 08:41 PM

Scares me. Probably unrecognizable to Mr. Doubleday.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 08:42 PM
Scares me. Probably unrecognizable to Mr. Doubleday.

Who DID NOT invent anything ever

Christ almighty

09-24-2021, 08:43 PM

It depends on which team he had bet on.

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 08:45 PM
Mr 5 innings couldn't even get 4 1/3. Pitiful.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 08:46 PM

If Nick wants to opt-out, so what. Let him. We need to find players that are willing to step up. It's that simple. There are plenty of players that can do what he does. The Reds job is, find them and sign them. I mean, c'mon. There are always good young players brewing to the top just like he did.

09-24-2021, 08:47 PM
MLB has six months, 162 game schedule. It’s psychologically impossible for any player to give 100% every game of the season. Even Yogi Berra has admitted to giving up AB every now and then. The best players are the players that can manage their effort over a full season.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 08:47 PM
Mr 5 innings couldn't even get 4 1/3. Pitiful.

Just stop

Redsfan6272
09-24-2021, 08:48 PM
So they go 0-9 and finish the season this so uninspired, you going to tell me Bell is somehow going to spark this team next year with no huge bat in RF, two 3B who cant hit, no idea about a backup catcher once they buy out Barnharts contract( not paying him 7.5 million with a top rookie catcher waiting to start) , and still no legit closer and CF

Redsfan6272
09-24-2021, 08:49 PM
MLB has six months, 162 game schedule. It’s psychologically impossible for any player to give 100% every game of the season. Even Yogi Berra has admitted to giving up AB every now and then. The best players are the players that can manage their effort over a full season.

Tell that to the Cardinals players who are inspired to WIN!!

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 08:50 PM
So they go 0-9 and finish the season this so uninspired, you going to tell me Bell is somehow going to spark this team next year with no huge bat in RF, two 3B who cant hit, no idea about a backup catcher once they buy out Barnharts contract( not paying him 7.5 million with a top rookie catcher waiting to start) , and still no legit closer and CF

Now is not the time to be nit picking! /s

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 08:50 PM
Just stop

Are you really okay with what's transpiring with this club? Be honest.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 08:52 PM
Tell that to the Cardinals players who are inspired to WIN!!

We fell apart (why?). They didn't.

Tom Servo
09-24-2021, 08:53 PM
lol @ even mild-mannered woy getting fed up with the boomer posting these threads have turned into

westofyou
09-24-2021, 08:56 PM
Are you really okay with what's transpiring with this club? Be honest.

I don’t like losing, I understand attrition in MLB and the throwing programs of elite pitchers in today’s game. I also understand the odds of baseball matchups and the reality of September baseball when a team has battled all year and realize they are short.

I understand disappointment, luck and the egos involved in a clubhouse.

I don’t look backwards to judge today’s players behavior because I and the world have changed.

I consume baseball like a Deacon consumes handshakes on Sunday morning.

Am I happy?

No

I’m awake

Red Raindog
09-24-2021, 08:58 PM
Well that’s unexpected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 09:03 PM
Who DID NOT invent anything ever

Christ almighty

Whether we want to credit Cartwright or Doubleday or Al Gore for developing elements of the game, The fact is many of us" BOOMERS" shudder to think what the game may look like in two decades. 5 inning games? 8 run rule? running clock?

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:06 PM
I don’t like losing, I understand attrition in MLB and the throwing programs of elite pitchers in today’s game. I also understand the odds of baseball matchups and the reality of September baseball when a team has battled all year and realize they are short.

I understand disappointment, luck and the egos involved in a clubhouse.

I don’t look backwards to judge today’s players behavior because I and the world have changed.

I consume baseball like a Deacon consumes handshakes on Sunday morning.

Am I happy?

No

I’m awake

That's great. How do you feel about the FO?

westofyou
09-24-2021, 09:07 PM
Neither did he.

Whether we want to credit Cartwright or Doubleday or Al Gore for developing elements of the game, The fact is many of shudder to think what the game may look like in two decades. 5 inning games? 8 run rule? running clock?

You need to stop too.

Might I suggest you check out some books by John Thorn (Baseball in the Garden if Eden) or some by Harold Seymour

Then we can talk

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:08 PM
Neither did he.

Whether we want to credit Cartwright or Doubleday or Al Gore for developing elements of the game, The fact is many of shudder to think what the game may look like in two decades. 5 inning games? 8 run rule? running clock?

I'm just going to put this out there. Baseball is just a special special game. Any entity that wants to f*** it up needs to be smacked down forthwith! Let baseball be baseball.

BCubb2003
09-24-2021, 09:08 PM
The letdown is human, but it’s another example of a season that was delighting the fans but ends in a dispiriting funk. No carryover buzz for next season.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 09:10 PM
That's great. How do you feel about the FO?

Ownership is too fragmented for real leadership? Krall is a horrible ambassador for the team’s future media wise and limited by dollars

It’s weak

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:14 PM
The letdown is human, but it’s another example of a season that was delighting the fans but ends in a dispiriting funk. No carryover buzz for next season.

And that's on the manager. The same manager that just got a 2 year extension. TinkerBell belongs upstairs (if anywhere on this team), not in the dugout.

TheBigLebowski
09-24-2021, 09:14 PM
I’m starting to wonder if these teams are taking dives for the cards. This is crazy.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:15 PM
Way to go NICK!!!

westofyou
Nick reads redszone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ky Fried Redleg
You need to stop too.

Might I suggest you check out some books by John Thorn (Baseball in the Garden if Eden) or some by Harold Seymour

Then we can talk

I'll check it out. Might I suggest you read Lou Piniella's book "LOU ... Fifty Years of Kicking Dirt, Playing Hard, and Winning Big in the Sweet Spot of Baseball."

Big Klu
09-24-2021, 09:20 PM
Castellanos has tied Reds Hall-of-Famer César Gerónimo for seventh place among players of Hispanic heritage on the Reds all-time home run list.

1. Tony Pérez [🇨🇺] - 287
2. Eugenio Suárez [🇻🇪] - 185
3. Dave Concepción [🇻🇪] - 101
4. Leo Cárdenas [🇨🇺] - 72
5. Edwin Encarnación [🇩🇴] - 71
6. Wily Mo Peña [🇩🇴] - 54
7. César Gerónimo [🇩🇴] - 44
7. Nick Castellanos [🇺🇸/🇨🇺] - 44
9. Felipe López [🇵🇷] - 41
10. Bo Díaz [🇻🇪] - 39

11. Javier Valentín [🇵🇷] - 34
12. César Cedeño [🇩🇴] - 30
12. Aristides Aquino [🇩🇴] - 30
14. Mariano Duncan [🇩🇴] - 28
14. José Peraza [🇻🇪] - 28
16. José Guillén [🇩🇴] - 27
17. Juan Castro [🇲🇽] - 25
18. Ramón Hernández [🇻🇪] - 24
19. Eduardo Pérez [🇺🇸/🇵🇷] - 23
20. Yasiel Puig [🇨🇺] - 22

21. Alex Ochoa [🇺🇸/🇨🇺] - 20
22. Luis Quiñones [🇵🇷] - 19
22. Benito Santiago [🇵🇷] - 19
22. D'Angelo Jiménez [🇩🇴] - 19
22. Alex González [🇻🇪] - 19
26. Juan Encarnación [🇩🇴] - 16
27. Jerry Hairston, Jr. [🇺🇸/🇲🇽] - 14
28. Miguel Cairo [🇻🇪] - 13
29. Roberto Kelly [🇵🇦] - 12
29. Freddy Galvis [🇻🇪] - 12

31. José Iglesias [🇨🇺] - 11
32. Rubén Rivera [🇵🇦] - 10
33. Tony Fernández [🇩🇴] - 8
34. Jacob Cruz [🇺🇸/🇲🇽] - 7
35. Carmelo Martínez [🇵🇷] - 6
35. Bronson Arroyo [🇺🇸/🇨🇺] - 6
35. Kristopher Negrón [🇺🇸/🇵🇷] - 6

38. Dolf Luque [🇨🇺] - 5
38. Héctor Cruz [🇵🇷] - 5
38. Rubén Mateo [🇩🇴] - 5
38. Édgar Rentería [🇨🇴] - 5
38. Juan Francisco [🇩🇴] - 5
38. Yonder Alonso [🇨🇺] - 5
38. Brayan Peña [🇨🇺] - 5
38. Iván DeJesús, Jr. [🇵🇷] - 5
38. Dilson Herrera [🇨🇴] - 5

47. Juan Samuel [🇩🇴] - 4
47. Adam Rosales [🇺🇸/🇲🇽] - 4
47. Orlando Cabrera [🇨🇴] - 4
47. Ramón Cabrera [🇻🇪] - 4
51. Rafael Almeida [🇨🇺] - 3
51. Tony González [🇨🇺] - 3
51. Dave Martinez [🇺🇸/🇵🇷] - 3
51. Roberto Petagine [🇻🇪] - 3
51. Jolbert Cabrera [🇨🇴] - 3

56. Elio Chacón [🇻🇪] - 2
56. Chico Ruiz [🇨🇺] - 2
56. Pat Corrales [🇺🇸/🇲🇽] - 2
56. Julián Javier [🇩🇴] - 2
56. Alex Treviño [🇲🇽] - 2
56. José Rijo [🇩🇴] - 2
56. Rubén Sierra [🇵🇷] - 2
56. Melvin Nieves [🇵🇷] - 2
56. Guillermo García [🇩🇴] - 2
56. Ray Olmedo [🇻🇪] - 2
56. Dioner Navarro [🇻🇪] - 2
56. Ramón Santiago [🇩🇴] - 2
56. Alex Blandino [🇺🇸/🇳🇮] - 2

69. Armando Marsans [🇨🇺] - 1
69. Manuel Cueto [🇨🇺] - 1
69. Arturo DeFreites [🇩🇴] - 1
69. Sam Mejías [🇩🇴] - 1
69. Rafael Landestoy [🇩🇴] - 1
69. Mario Soto [🇩🇴] - 1
69. Leo García [🇩🇴] - 1
69. Freddie Benavides [🇺🇸/🇲🇽] - 1
69. Wilton Guerrero [🇩🇴] - 1
69. Jorge Cantú [🇺🇸/🇲🇽] - 1
69. Willy Taveras [🇩🇴] - 1
69. Chris Dominguez [🇺🇸/🇨🇺] - 1
69. Arismendy Alcántara [🇩🇴] - 1
69. Tony Cruz [🇺🇸/🇨🇺] - 1
69. Gabriel Guerrero [🇩🇴] - 1

westofyou
09-24-2021, 09:20 PM
I'll check it out. Might I suggest you read Lou Piniella's book "LOU ... Fifty Years of Kicking Dirt, Playing Hard, and Winning Big in the Sweet Spot of Baseball."

I will, he was a famous Portland Beaver in 1968

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:22 PM

Guys, please. Your frustration should be directed toward the FO, not each other. Neither of you caused this. You experienced it just like the rest of us. Go Reds!

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:23 PM
GENO!!!

LeDoux
09-24-2021, 09:24 PM
I may be disappointed about the last few weeks, but since I "predicted" 69 wins, I guess I can't complain. But more than anything, I am sad that Reds baseball is closing in on the end of the season. I am just trying to enjoy the remaining games. Disappointment aside, winter sucks more than watching the Reds lose.

09-24-2021, 09:24 PM
It’s amazing how better of a manager Bell became in these last few innings.

Tom Servo
09-24-2021, 09:26 PM
A lead?? Is this allowed??

westofyou
09-24-2021, 09:28 PM
True story

Baseball is not over in the fourth inning

RedForLife
A lead?? Is this allowed??

C'mon Tom, stop. Enough of that! lol

Big Klu
Congratulations to Eugenio Suárez, who has tied Reds Hall-of-Famer Vada Pinson for 13th place on the Reds all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
1. Johnny Bench - 389
2. Joey Votto - 328
3. Frank Robinson - 324
4. Tony Pérez - 287
5. Adam Dunn - 270
6. Ted Kluszewski - 251
7. George Foster - 244
8. Jay Bruce - 233
9. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
10. Eric Davis - 203
11. Barry Larkin - 198
12. Brandon Phillips - 191
13. Vada Pinson - 186
13. Eugenio Suárez - 186
15. Wally Post - 172
16. Gus Bell - 160
17. Joe Morgan - 152
17. Pete Rose - 152
19. Lee May - 147
20. Dan Driessen - 133
21. Reggie Sanders - 125
22. Ernie Lombardi - 120
23. Sean Casey - 118
24. Frank McCormick - 110
25. Todd Frazier - 108
26. Dave Parker - 107
27. Chris Sabo - 104
28. Dave Concepción - 101

Tony Cloninger
09-24-2021, 09:29 PM
I thought the British invented the concept of baseball based on rounders. Native Americans also had a game they played that was based on some baseball type things. Or it just could be aliens.

LeDoux
09-24-2021, 09:31 PM
True story

Baseball is not over in the fourth inning

Indeed. Go Cubbies.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 09:33 PM
My phone battery is dying and I’m unable to charge it

I’m also drinking a beer

But enough about me

I just want to say this

The players putting on a Reds uniform every day care more about the Reds than you and me, they depend on getting chances to prove themselves in this game, a difficult game too.

The manager and coaches also care more as this is their chance to succeed in a professional capacity and prove they have not wasted their time on earth on a boys game that is hard yet so simple that guys like me can judge their decisions.

Baseball is a gift

It’s also a burden

Learn to balance that and you might have more fun with it

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:36 PM
Indeed. Go Cubbies.

Cubbies! Cubbies?! You said Cubbies!? Here, on this forum!? Oh, what the hell. At least the Cubbies have a more recent WS win than we do.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:37 PM

I’m also drinking a beer

But enough about me

I just want to say this

The players putting on a Reds uniform every day care more about the Reds than you and me, they depend on getting chances to prove themselves in this game, a difficult game too.

The manager and coaches also care more as this is their chance to succeed in a professional capacity and prove they have not wasted their time on earth on a boys game that is hard yet so simple that guys like me can judge their decisions.

Baseball is a gift

It’s also a burden

A beer? Really? Just one?

BCubb2003
09-24-2021, 09:37 PM
And Soto has been mortalized.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 09:38 PM
A beer? Really? Just one?

Not possible

LeDoux
09-24-2021, 09:39 PM
Cubbies! Cubbies?! You said Cubbies!? Here, on this forum!? Oh, what the hell. At least the Cubbies have a more recent WS win than we do.

I assume here on the Redszone that everyone's second favorite team is whoever is playing the Cards. Tonight, I love them Cubbies.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:39 PM
Not possible

I'm on my 8th. I can recognize. Go Reds!

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:43 PM
I assume here on the Redszone that everyone's second favorite team is whoever is playing the Cards. Tonight, I love them Cubbies.

I actually like the Cubs (old school thing: Williams, Pepitone, Jenkins, et al) but, the enemy of my enemy is my friend doesn't necessarily work with baseball.

LeDoux
09-24-2021, 09:48 PM
I actually like the Cubs (old school thing: Williams, Pepitone, Jenkins, et al) but, the enemy of my enemy is my friend doesn't necessarily work with baseball.

My hatred of the Redbirds is deep and abiding. It transcends reason, space, and time.

Wonderful Monds
09-24-2021, 09:50 PM
lol @ even mild-mannered woy getting fed up with the boomer posting these threads have turned into

This board sucks ass right now. Any given thread is half filled with posts of people I’ve blocked at this point. I really wish someone would do something about, start enforcing some of the rules we have to keep up quality discussion here.

TheBigLebowski
09-24-2021, 09:51 PM

I’m also drinking a beer

But enough about me

I just want to say this

Baseball is a gift

It’s also a burden

They care more insofar as it’s their livelihood, and almost all care for no other reason than their competitive nature as an athlete, but most don’t care more about the franchise than those who have followed it for 20/30/40/etc years as a passionate fan. More properly stated, it’s just not an apples to apples conversation.

But almost every person who posts here and watches this team acknowledges they’ve checked out. Most of them, anyway.

The argument can be made that fans shouldn’t care as much. Or that they should care passionately but also be in perfect command over their emotions in such as way as to turn off that microchip in all of us that makes it impossible to deal with disappointment perfectly, or to understand there’s no point in gnashing teeth over things we can’t change.

And the duality of baseball as gift and a burden is a bit prosaic and pedantic, but also the perfect explanation as to why it drives us so nuts - understanding this isn’t some sort of behavioral alchemy.

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 09:52 PM
Anyone else think Nolin looks like Greg Maddux?

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:52 PM
The end of the season is near. We had a decent run and we all got excited. We did incur a lot of untimely injuries. Lots of 'strains' that didn't used to occur in years passed. This season had some moments but, next year really needs to elevate to the next level. If our first 45 games are well under .500 then TinkerBell has to go. There's more than enough sample time to make this assessment.

Wonderful Monds
09-24-2021, 09:53 PM
As an aside, I just discovered that if you just Google “Reds” like I did right now to find the score, a customer service phone number comes up.

I might hit em up, share some feedback with them.

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 09:55 PM
You pitch to Cast here because Votto can't advance himself so they'll take their chances with Joey next inning.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 09:56 PM
Anyone else think Nolin looks like Greg Maddux?

No one looks like Greg Maddux. I remember the Maddux/Glavine strike zone. If their catcher set up a foot off the plate and they threw the pitch straight into their mitt, it was called a strike. I think MLB stopped that a few years ago... somewhat.

Mutaman
09-24-2021, 09:56 PM

I've heard on numerous occasions, particularly from Yankee announcer Michael Kay and former WFAN guy Mike Francessa ,that, with a few exceptions, the pro players don’t care as much about winning and losing as the fans do. To them, its just a job.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2012-feb-09-la-sp-plaschke-20120210-story.html

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 09:58 PM
No one looks like Greg Maddux. I remember the Maddux/Glavine strike zone. If their catcher set up a foot off the plate and they threw the pitch straight into their mitt, it was called a strike. I think MLB stopped that a few years ago... somewhat.

Wut? I'm talking about his face. :laugh:

GullyFoyle
09-24-2021, 10:12 PM
I've heard on numerous occasions, particularly from Yankee announcer Michael Kay and former WFAN guy Mike Francessa ,that, with a few exceptions, the pro players don’t care as much about winning and losing as the fans do. To them, its just a job.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2012-feb-09-la-sp-plaschke-20120210-story.html

Or most players learn early on that they need to compartmentalize to stay sane and fans don’t.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 10:13 PM

10 beers in. My bad. :cool:

M2
09-24-2021, 10:13 PM
The Reds are going to have a largely rebuilt OF next season, and I'm pretty cool with T.J. Friedl being one of them.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 10:14 PM

And 3 shots of Beam! Go Reds!

GullyFoyle
09-24-2021, 10:14 PM
Human beings are notoriously bad at guessing what each other is thinking … particularly one group guessing what is going through the mind of another.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 10:18 PM
Human beings are notoriously bad at guessing what each other is thinking … particularly one group guessing what is going through the mind of another.

Im especially bad at that. Do I get a trophy?

M2
09-24-2021, 10:18 PM

Brain: Pinky are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Pinky: Yes Brain, but rubber chafes me so.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjA1NDY2NDExNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODA3ODc5MjE@._ V1_.jpg

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 10:19 PM
10 beers in. My bad. :cool:

Right :p

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 10:20 PM
The Reds are going to have a largely rebuilt OF next season, and I'm pretty cool with T.J. Friedl being one of them.

He's a go-getter gamer. I agree with you 100%.

Ron Madden
09-24-2021, 10:23 PM
One More Out!!!

Bob Sheed
09-24-2021, 10:29 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/1O43UNtta63S5KLLcK/giphy.gif

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 10:31 PM
Unreal.

M2
09-24-2021, 10:31 PM
I approve of walking Juan Soto, because he terrifies me.

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 10:32 PM
And now the go ahead run is at the plate. Soto homers off you, game is still tied.

DocRed
09-24-2021, 10:33 PM
If Givens loses this I'm gonna laugh. Kinda glad he isn't coming back next year

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 10:33 PM
Givens is good, but he's not lock-down.

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 10:34 PM
Givens is good, but he's not lock-down.

Very few are.

Bob Sheed
09-24-2021, 10:34 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/2QMJl34Dv9F8A/giphy.gif

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 10:35 PM
If Givens loses this I'm gonna laugh. Kinda glad he isn't coming back next year

You would rather have those scrubs they had in April and May instead?

GADawg

i've seen enough to believe he makes Shogo expendable....not that that was difficult.

OldFashionedRed
Very few are.

Okay, I won't sugar coat it. He's not closer material. There are lots of closers.

RedForLife
That last look by Bell. It's the tell. He wants the players to make him look good. Not that he wants to inspire his players to do good. He sucks!

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 10:36 PM
Okay, I won't sugar coat it. He's not closer material. There are lots of closers.

There is maybe 3-4. Maybe. what you could call a lock down closer in the game.

DocRed
30 pitches is too many in an inning...bad decision

Tom Servo
That last look by Bell. It's the tell. He wants the players to make him look good. Not that he wants to inspire his players to do good. He sucks!
Ok

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 10:37 PM
No excuse for this.

Bob Sheed
09-24-2021, 10:37 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/FcuiZUneg1YRAu1lH2/giphy.gif

Larry Schuler
09-24-2021, 10:39 PM
Show some grit, Givens! Fall on your back and kick your feet! Roll around and slam the floor with your fists! I’m friggin tired of this.

westofyou
“I would like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we’ve passed the audition.”

DocRed
Bell being Bell...really dumb move. Glad some people are happy he signed an extension.

OldFashionedRed
There is maybe 3-4. Maybe. what you could call a lock down closer in the game.

I'm asking for a closer. He's not a closer. Period. Good anchor man.

M2
09-24-2021, 10:40 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/14vMxlap9GEaCA/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d89c3f3cbdd613793abb54add5ca 411ed03af3df&rid=giphy.gif

Tom Servo
All with 2 outs. Neat.

OldFashionedRed
Bell being Bell...really dumb move. Glad some people are happy he signed an extension.

I'm not, and neither is any Reds fan I know IRL who knows anything about the game.

Wonderful Monds
09-24-2021, 10:41 PM
I'm not, and neither is any Reds fan I know IRL who knows anything about the game.

sure thing lol

Larry Schuler
09-24-2021, 10:41 PM
Reds are going to walk it off here. Have faith, friends. This is our Red crew and they’re coming up to the plate now.

DocRed
09-24-2021, 10:42 PM
ON the bright side I think this ends any chance the Reds throw money at Givens next year thinking he is a closer...because he just isn't.

OldFashionedRed
I hope they do walk it off, but please......no celebrations or anything.

Tom Servo
If you give up two big extra base hits to Alcides Escobar, a guy only back in MLB because the Nationals needed a warm body to play out the string, you're gonna have a bad time.

Wonderful Monds
ON the bright side I think this ends any chance the Reds throw money at Givens next year thinking he is a closer...because he just isn't.

The guy had a 2.41 ERA as a Red coming into this game, I’d find someone else to complain about

DocRed
09-24-2021, 10:43 PM
The guy had a 2.41 ERA as a Red coming into this game, I’d find someone else to complain about

18.2 innings...that a helluva sample size. His FIP is 4.30 this year.

M2
09-24-2021, 10:44 PM
If you give up two big extra base hits to Alcides Escobar, a guy only back in MLB because the Nationals needed a warm body to play out the string, you're gonna have a bad time.

Historically speaking, Alcides Escobar wants to get himself out.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 10:44 PM

Not me.

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 10:45 PM

And a beautiful 4:7 BB/K rate in September with a 3.86 ERA.

M2
09-24-2021, 10:45 PM
18.2 innings...that a helluva sample size. His FIP is 4.30 this year.

All right, he had a 2.61 ERA for the season and a 3.31 ERA for his career.

Wonderful Monds
09-24-2021, 10:47 PM

I hear that’s pretty good!

OldFashionedRed
The Punisher!!!!!!!!! :beerme:

Tom Servo
I like that it can't just be "wow very ****ty performance by Givens" it has to be that actually he's terrible and always has been despite all the of the evidence otherwise.

But when all you have is a hammer, etc...

Powder River
Meanwhile the Dirty birds are about to sweep the double header with the Cubs… what in the name of god are they putting in the water in St Lou?

DocRed

I never said he was a bad reliever. I think he is just fine as a 7th inning guy but he's not a closer. Look at the years he was a closer or pseudo closer and his stats those years.

Bob Sheed
https://media.giphy.com/media/neibrfv6yxDLjGli1H/giphy.gif

gagliano
09-24-2021, 10:48 PM
I'm not. I know it's not the way greed works, but for a change could just leave the damn game alone and worry about drafting, developing, trading and releasing? Leave my game alone!

- - - Updated - - -

I will be disappointed if Farmer is the starting SS next year.

Thank you OFR. I couldnt agree more.

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 10:48 PM
Reds are going to walk it off here. Have faith, friends. This is our Red crew and they’re coming up to the plate now.

If they don't come back and win this lets throw a big fit. What do you say? I AM TIRED OF THIS!!!! Hashtag I want my 1970s game back....

BCubb2003
09-24-2021, 10:49 PM
I think the Cardinals are peaking at the wrong time.

M2
I like that it can't just be "wow very ****ty performance by Givens" it has to be that actually he's terrible and always has been despite all the of the evidence otherwise.

I get the frustration. I share it. But it seems like some people are attempting to out-ridiculous this ridiculous situation.

KeefeCato
I hear that’s pretty good!

Yes but it isn't perfect. You know some expect perfection.

gagliano
09-24-2021, 10:51 PM

We've forgotten more baseball than you'll ever know, kid. Go play a video game.

mhs95_06
The true poorness of AA as a baserunner comes out!

OldFashionedRed
Was Aquino running to third on the pitch?

Coopdaddy67
09-24-2021, 10:52 PM
And a beautiful 4:7 BB/K rate in September with a 3.86 ERA.

Cherry picking stats is stupid.

All 3 ER surrendered this month came in 1/3 of an inning, his first appearance of the month. Since then he's pitched 6 2/3 innings with an ERA of 0.00, 2.41 FIP and 4 saves.

Bob Sheed
09-24-2021, 10:52 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7qDYXe0QuLCme1Fu/giphy.gif

M2
09-24-2021, 10:53 PM
Yes but it isn't perfect. You know some expect perfection.

Why do we settle for pitchers who give up runs, hitters who make outs and fielders who commit errors?

KeefeCato
That was bad, bad baserunning.

westofyou
Aquino is a one note player, power

The rest of his game is played as far I'm concerned

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 10:54 PM
Why do we settle for pitchers who give up runs, hitters who make outs and fielders who commit errors?

Don't forget managers who don't light a fire under there players.

JFLegal
here we go better draft pick, here we go! (clap, clap)

westofyou

Fart Noise, I've read your takes

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 10:55 PM
Cherry picking stats is stupid.

All 3 ER surrendered this month came in 1/3 of an inning, his first appearance of the month. Since then he's pitched 6 2/3 innings with an ERA of 0.00, 2.41 FIP and 4 saves.

Pot, meet kettle. :laugh:

westofyou
09-24-2021, 10:55 PM
here we go better draft pick, here we go! (clap, clap)

Cynical but true

JFLegal
09-24-2021, 10:56 PM
Cynical but true

i mean right? we all want them to win tonight, but should actually be rooting for best draft pick since they are out of it.

M2
09-24-2021, 10:56 PM
That was bad, bad baserunning.

I'm just hoping this is their attempt to resurrect the pre-victory TOOTBLAN.

Bob Sheed
09-24-2021, 10:57 PM
i mean right? we all want them to win tonight, but should actually be rooting for best draft pick since they are out of it.

draft picks are a crapshoot. Just win.

Tom Servo
09-24-2021, 10:57 PM
My dad went to the last Giants game at the Polo Grounds, I can just talk to him if I wanna hear about the old days. He loves baseball today too though and doesn't ***** about how they've ruined the game so it's 10x better than this thread.

OldFashionedRed
09-24-2021, 10:58 PM
Cast .263 BAVG .298 OBP .810 OPS September

JFLegal
09-24-2021, 10:59 PM
draft picks are a crapshoot. Just win.

give me the higher draft pick than some meaningless win tonight.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 11:01 PM
Cast .263 BAVG .298 OBP .810 OPS September

Give him eleventy billion dollars

~ guy next to you at a bad bar

dakota42
09-24-2021, 11:01 PM
Why bother watching the game if you would rather they lose?lol

westofyou
09-24-2021, 11:02 PM
Why bother watching the game if you would rather they lose?lol
Why bother posting unless you want to stir stuff up?

I mean come on

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 11:04 PM
Hoping for a Votto walk off winner.

Ky Fried Redleg

This is Reds' country down here in my neck of the woods . I talk to lots of Reds' fans. Not one that know is a fan of Bell. The only Bell apologists/fans I have ever encountered are on this board.

Bob Sheed
give me the higher draft pick than some meaningless win tonight.

It's not meaningless.

It's good to win, bad to lose.

This extends to all things.

This ends our lesson today. That will be 300 dollars. Pay the llama at the gate.

https://media.giphy.com/media/qK2KaYr3Uhnq0/giphy.gif

westofyou
09-24-2021, 11:05 PM
For the record I love baseball so much that I love these crappy games because they are like bad music, because bad music makes good music seem so much better

M2
Cave troll posters with zero baseball acumen were a lot easier to stomach when they were winning.

OldFashionedRed
Cessa's ERA has dropped every year since 2018, his WHIP pretty much did the same thing. I like this kid.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 11:06 PM
This is Reds' country down here in my neck of the woods . I talk to lots of Reds' fans. Not one that know is a fan of Bell. The only ones I have ever encountered are on this board.

I know three Reds fans within 600 miles of me, they all think Bell is vanilla but not the issue

Bob Sheed
09-24-2021, 11:07 PM
we're winning this.

https://media.giphy.com/media/nqi89GMgyT3va/giphy.gif

LeDoux
09-24-2021, 11:08 PM
If they keep these ghost runners next year I hope the runners are chosen from local celebrities, reality TV winners, etc. If you are going to do it, do it with gusto.

JFLegal
CessaPool!

wait, not a good nickname, but he's good.

OldFashionedRed
Gong to pick up hubby from work. Goa Reads. :ughmamoru:

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 11:09 PM
If they keep these ghost runners next year I hope the runners are chosen from local celebrities, reality TV winners, etc. If you are going to do it, do it with gusto.

Attention please. Now running for the Reds. Charlie Sheen. Sheen.

JFLegal
09-24-2021, 11:09 PM
Gong to pick up hubby from work. Goa Reads. :ughmamoru:

thanks honey.

M2
09-24-2021, 11:10 PM
CessaPool!

wait, not a good nickname, but he's good.

You need to workshop that one.

Coopdaddy67
No way do they pitch to Votto here.

Powder River
Alright Farmboy… make em pay

….and he’s bunting, lol

Bob Sheed
09-24-2021, 11:11 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/MTclfCr4tVgis/giphy.gif

Coopdaddy67
Please don't bunt, you're going to end up in a GIDP.

Ky Fried Redleg

Probably a better baserunner than Aquino.

Bob Sheed
09-24-2021, 11:13 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/cl7wm8anTKgBPl5yNx/giphy.gif

LeDoux

I'd buy a ticket for that.

Ron Madden
Geno hit it too hard

Ky Fried Redleg
09-24-2021, 11:14 PM
I long for sacrifice bunts. Where have you gone, Eddie Armbrister?

Powder River
I really hope Geno is coming out of whatever was wrong with him… how great would it be if he was back to raking next year

Bob Sheed
https://media.giphy.com/media/aWRWTF27ilPzy/giphy.gif

M2
09-24-2021, 11:15 PM
That's only Geno's 42nd single of the season.

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 11:16 PM

If we only had multiple Givens's earlier in the year...
Yeah, I know, If when how, coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Roy Tucker
09-24-2021, 11:16 PM
I can’t quit you Reds

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 11:17 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/aWRWTF27ilPzy/giphy.gif

I do a great Skeletor! I'll get you He-Man!

KeefeCato
09-24-2021, 11:17 PM
I can’t quit you Reds

We thought you were watching lifetime movies with the wife.

Coopdaddy67
09-24-2021, 11:18 PM
Moustakas and Barnhart swinging at eye-level pitches will never not infuriate me.

Ironman92
Just got home…..see box score that Gray wasn’t good and then 5 pitchers later Givens struggled…..looks as if 4 straight relievers pitched well, why didn’t any of them go a 2nd inning?

JFLegal
derpy mcderp.

- - - Updated - - -

we all thought this team was choking under the pressure. turns out, they just stink.

Tom Servo
09-24-2021, 11:19 PM
great job Tucker lol

I don’t care about his post game comments, I care that after a hot start his bat has reverted back to this level. I don’t see a need to keep him around.

M2
09-24-2021, 11:19 PM
Moustakas and Barnhart swinging at eye-level pitches will never not infuriate me.

But they can see it so good.

westofyou
09-24-2021, 11:20 PM
Well this is a battle of attrition

Roy Tucker
We thought you were watching lifetime movies with the wife.

Nah. She retired today so we were out drinking soda pops.

KeefeCato
Who is left Hoffman and the rookie?

RedForLife
09-24-2021, 11:21 PM
derpy mcderp.

- - - Updated - - -

we all thought this team was choking under the pressure. turns out, they just stink.

And they'll stop at McVomit's on the way home.

M2
09-24-2021, 11:22 PM
Who is left Hoffman and the rookie?

Nope.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71fKttdo8JL._AC_SX425_.jpg

westofyou
09-24-2021, 11:22 PM
great job Tucker lol

I don’t care about his post game comments, I care that after a hot start his bat has reverted back to this level. I don’t see a need to keep him around.

Johnny Edwards, Ryan Hanigan

First rule of spending on a LH catcher is he mashes, if he doesn't and he's a good fielder he has a ceiling for $

Powder River
09-24-2021, 11:23 PM
I really thought Friedl was going to come through… and that’s what I get for thinking! :bang:

KeefeCato
Future closer Art Warren on.

Wonderful Monds

Ah that must mean he’s made up for that with 50 doubles and 50 home runs, right?

…right?

JFLegal
here we go better draft pick here we go!

Wonderful Monds
09-24-2021, 11:24 PM

He’s a real Sun Tzu

KeefeCato
here we go better draft pick here we go!

Says no one else.

Ky Fried Redleg

Moose Moustakas has 35 singles in two seasons with our Redlegs. That's neat.

M2
09-24-2021, 11:25 PM
Ah that must mean he’s made up for that with 50 doubles and 50 home runs, right?

…right?

Well, not all in this year.

westofyou
Nah. She retired today so we were out drinking soda pops.

I'm hoping you had a Vernors

Roy Tucker
He swung.

Powder River
09-24-2021, 11:27 PM

The guy has a bright future

Roy Tucker
I'm hoping you had a Vernors

I believe we were over served.

westofyou
Johnny Edwards, Ryan Hanigan

First rule of spending on a LH catcher is he mashes, if he doesn't and he's a good fielder he has a ceiling for $

Now I'm sure they both were RH... but they were good defensive guys and could not hit much

Ron Madden
09-24-2021, 11:28 PM
I believe we were over served.

Impossible!

KeefeCato
The guy has a bright future

Yes he does. Has to stay healthy.

JFLegal
art vandelay!

Ironman92
Walk Soto.

Thanks

Roy Tucker
09-24-2021, 11:29 PM
Impossible!

Uber is my friend.

JFLegal
09-24-2021, 11:30 PM
Moose Moustakas has 35 singles in two seasons with our Redlegs. That's neat.

$2M per single sounds about right.

Ironman92
09-24-2021, 11:32 PM
Stop walking after Soto

Ironman92
09-24-2021, 11:33 PM
???

Coopdaddy67
09-24-2021, 11:33 PM
Now I'm sure they both were RH... but they were good defensive guys and could not hit much

Hanigan was surprisingly good at getting on base though. A lot of years he was 2nd on the team to Votto in OBP.

Roy Tucker
09-24-2021, 11:34 PM
Not pretty but I’ll take it.

JFLegal
09-24-2021, 11:34 PM
art vandelay will get the win if we can get a run here.

Ironman92
09-24-2021, 11:35 PM
I think the clumsiness confused the runner lol….good stop by Joey. Thought he’d slide to bat but not his best feature. The toss didn’t seem like a great bet with the timing.

Made play now gonna win