PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan India Is Baseball America's 2021 MLB Rookie Of The Year

Ron Madden
10-22-2021, 01:40 PM
Jonathan India Is Baseball America's 2021 MLB Rookie Of The Year
The results were immediate when Jonathan India moved to the leadoff spot for the first time on June 5. He drew a walk in his first plate appearance, hit a solo home run in his next and followed with a double.

It was the first time India hit higher than sixth in the Reds’ lineup, and there was no mistaking his impact. Cincinnati vaulted into the playoff race. India leaped into the Rookie of the Year conversations. The guys hitting behind him raved about how much he helped the offense.

As the Reds’ leadoff hitter, India hit .275/.383/.482 with 31 doubles, 17 home runs, 46 RBIs and 82 runs in 103 games.

India is the Baseball America Rookie of the Year. To understand how he became a leader for the Reds and the league’s most productive rookie, it’s important to know how hard he worked when nobody kept stats.

When he arrived at the Reds’ alternate training site at Prasco Park in Mason, Ohio, last year, the organization wanted him to learn second base to increase his versatility. India had played shortstop in high school and third base in college, from where the Reds drafted him fifth overall out of Florida in 2018.

India was often the first player on the field with Luis Bolivar, Cincinnati’s academies coordinator, for one-on-one instruction. They worked a lot on India’s footwork now that he was on the opposite side of the infield.

“He took the opportunity as a challenge,” Bolivar said. “He’s out there, like, ‘Hey, let’s do it,’ every day. It was awesome to see.

Prasco was a blessing in my life,” India said. “We didn’t have games, we couldn’t compete against anyone, but we did have live ABs, scrimmages. I took everything really serious. Every guy did there, but for me, it was just different. I was there every day early working at second base. I took thousands of swings. Honestly, I would go back. I would go back and work out there for an offseason. That’s how much I loved it.”GREAT Article! A Lot Of Interesting Stuff In There.
Full Story Here:
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/jonathan-india-is-baseball-americas-2021-mlb-rookie-of-the-year/

JFLegal
10-22-2021, 03:02 PM
that's a great story. thanks for posting.

now we just need a meme from M2.

M2
10-22-2021, 03:07 PM
India vs. all other rookies -

https://www.explosion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/1.gif

Roy Tucker
10-22-2021, 04:07 PM
Great article. But it would be a little chilly to work out at Prasco in the off season.

Gandalf the Red
10-22-2021, 07:30 PM
Great article. But it would be a little chilly to work out at Prasco in the off season.

"His zeal for king and country kept him warm."

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c580e05c-f647-4855-a098-373042451b55

mth123
10-22-2021, 09:57 PM
India is the best thing to happen to Reds baseball in 2021.

kaldaniels
10-22-2021, 11:09 PM
India is the best thing to happen to Reds baseball in 2021.

Billions of humans on Earth.

A select, lucky few get to advance to MLB in the year 2021.

And the Reds got the best of that lot.

Yep, it’s a good thing.

GAC
10-23-2021, 06:10 AM
I loved watching 1-4 of our batting order this year.... India, Winker, Votto, Castellanos. When was the last time this organization had their top four produce offensively at such a level?

Bob Sheed
10-23-2021, 02:20 PM
I loved watching 1-4 of our batting order this year.... India, Winker, Votto, Castellanos. When was the last time this organization had their top four produce offensively at such a level?

BRM? Do we have to go that far back?

Ron Madden
10-29-2021, 03:58 PM
Jonathan India voted NL Most Outstanding Rookie in Players Choice Awards

In the eyes of fellow players, there was no National League rookie who was better than Cincinnati Reds second baseman Jonathan India this year.

India was voted the National League’s Most Outstanding Rookie in the MLB Player Association’s Players Choice Awards. He beat out finalists Dylan Carlson (St. Louis Cardinals) and Patrick Wisdom (Chicago Cubs).

It’s another award for India, who was named a Silver Slugger Award finalist and led all NL rookies in RBI (69), runs (98), doubles (34), extra-base hits (57) and walks (71). He was the first Reds rookie with 98 runs and 57 extra-base hits in a season since Frank Robinson in 1956.

The awards should continue for him when the Baseball Writers Association of America’s National League Rookie of the Year finalists are named on Monday, Nov. 8. He’s vying to become the franchise’s first Rookie of the Year winner since Scott Williamson in 1999 and the first position player since Chris Sabo in 1988.

"What a great talent he's going to be," Philadelphia Phillies star Bryce Harper said in a video produced by the players association. "He loves to play the game. He plays the game with his hair on fire."

"I faced him early, I faced him late, he really put together some good ABs" Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Max Scherzer said. That's an incredible feat to be able to do for a team where they were at and where he was asked to hit."

"To play through injuries, play when you're dinged up and be able to be our leadoff batter for the majority of the year, get on and set the table, it's fun to watch, man," teammate Nick Castellanos said. "But it's just the beginning."

Continue Reading Here:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jonathan-india-voted-nl-most-outstanding-rookie-in-players-choice-awards/ar-AAQ4u82?ocid=BingNewsSearch#image=AAPdwFl|1