PDA

View Full Version : 4-24-22 Reds vs Cardinals 1:40 PM

Pages : 1 [2]

kaldaniels
04-24-2022, 06:43 PM
I’m not going to keep replying to 3 different people.

Reds would have been a lot worse off without him last season.

He’s a good player. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of his contributions don’t show up in advanced metrics.

He’s no all star and I already willingly conceded he has to give way to Barrero when the time comes, but he can play all over, and he’s far superior to any of our other designated utility men. Any team is better with a guy like Farmer on it. That’s my point and always has been.

Complimenting or praising Farmer around here is a deed that never goes unpunished.

I’m not out to get Farmer or anyone that praises him but if a comment is over the top there will be some pushback.

And where you called him superb you quickly pivoted to the thought that people despise him. I mean that’s begging for a reaction. I implore everyone - don’t despise Kyle. Let’s appreciate him for what he is, a good fill-in guy. One sub-2 WAR season does not make one a player you strive to have in your lineup.

traderumor
04-24-2022, 06:55 PM
Reds now 2-1 on Sundays.

gagliano
04-24-2022, 07:11 PM
There may be some really strong systems that a guy like that would be ranked in the 10 to 15 range, but for the most part a guy like that would be in the top 5 or his ceiling isn't all that high. I wouldn't trade him for a long shot who can hit the ball 500 feet but can't make contact or a guy who throws 95 and can't get it over the plate. The Reds absolutely need to turn the page and hand things to Barrero and McLain, but even if they do, they need a guy like Farmer for a couple of years. I think it gives those guys a better chance to succeed and that's more important than a middling prospect IMO.

I'd take 9 of him. Everyday.

LeatherPants
04-24-2022, 08:05 PM
I’m not going to keep replying to 3 different people.

He’s a good player. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of his contributions don’t show up in advanced metrics.

He’s no all star and I already willingly conceded he has to give way to Barrero when the time comes, but he can play all over, and he’s far superior to any of our other designated utility men. Any team is better with a guy like Farmer on it. That’s my point and always has been.

Complimenting or praising Farmer around here is a deed that never goes unpunished.

Only thing I’m pushing back on is you saying he’s an above average bat. He’s not, and never has been. He’s a perfectly acceptable major league player.

LeatherPants
04-24-2022, 08:06 PM
I'd take 9 of him. Everyday.

Then you’d have the worst team in major league history.

goreds2
04-24-2022, 10:09 PM
We got some people back. Let’s just see what happens.

MoneyInTheBank
04-25-2022, 08:49 AM
Iím not going to keep replying to 3 different people.

Heís a good player. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of his contributions donít show up in advanced metrics.

Heís no all star and I already willingly conceded he has to give way to Barrero when the time comes, but he can play all over, and heís far superior to any of our other designated utility men. Any team is better with a guy like Farmer on it. Thatís my point and always has been.

Praise Farmer all you want but if you say something factually inaccurate, you're probably going to get some pushback

MoneyInTheBank
04-25-2022, 09:06 AM
There may be some really strong systems that a guy like that would be ranked in the 10 to 15 range, but for the most part a guy like that would be in the top 5 or his ceiling isn't all that high. I wouldn't trade him for a long shot who can hit the ball 500 feet but can't make contact or a guy who throws 95 and can't get it over the plate. The Reds absolutely need to turn the page and hand things to Barrero and McLain, but even if they do, they need a guy like Farmer for a couple of years. I think it gives those guys a better chance to succeed and that's more important than a middling prospect IMO.

Chase Petty is firmly in the 6-15 range on the Reds middle of the pack system. He's the kind I'm talking about. Connor Phillips would be another. I'm not trying to question Farmer's value, I'm just saying what you are labeling as a middling prospect may not be a middling prospect, if that makes sense

mth123
04-25-2022, 01:16 PM
Chase Petty is firmly in the 6-15 range on the Reds middle of the pack system. He's the kind I'm talking about. Connor Phillips would be another. I'm not trying to question Farmer's value, I'm just saying what you are labeling as a middling prospect may not be a middling prospect, if that makes sense

OK. I'd probably pull the trigger on Petty or Phillips, so maybe the top 5 is not right, but I don't think Farmer will come close to getting that. Sonny Gray brought Petty. Farmer is about 5 steps below Gray on the value scale.

I just think he has more value to the Reds than any prospect he'll bring back. If he brings somebody who is better than an interchangeable part, I'd probably move him. That may be top 5 or top 10 depends on the system. I think I have a better chance of being hit by lightning some sunny afternoon on my way to cash my grand prize winning powerball ticket.

I get the sense that people think because he's over 30, move him no matter what the return. I disagree. He serves a much needed purpose moving forward. He's not expensive and he has years of control remaining. I think that provides more value to this team than his actual market value will be.

Old school 1983
04-25-2022, 04:25 PM
OK. I'd probably pull the trigger on Petty or Phillips, so maybe the top 5 is not right, but I don't think Farmer will come close to getting that. Sonny Gray brought Petty. Farmer is about 5 steps below Gray on the value scale.

I just think he has more value to the Reds than any prospect he'll bring back. If he brings somebody who is better than an interchangeable part, I'd probably move him. That may be top 5 or top 10 depends on the system. I think I have a better chance of being hit by lightning some sunny afternoon on my way to cash my grand prize winning powerball ticket.

I get the sense that people think because he's over 30, move him no matter what the return. I disagree. He serves a much needed purpose moving forward. He's not expensive and he has years of control remaining. I think that provides more value to this team than his actual market value will be.

That’s likely the case. I wonder how it’d play in the club house if they hand Barerro his job and say ok Kyle, you’re our super sub.

mth123
04-25-2022, 04:38 PM
That’s likely the case. I wonder how it’d play in the club house if they hand Barerro his job and say ok Kyle, you’re our super sub.

I think they only do it in conjunction with an extension for 2 or 3 years, Say $4 Million per year. That provides a nice insurance policy, rewards Farmer for what he has done and establishes a solid foundation to the bench moving forward. He'd still probably play against most LHP. Last year at this time he was buried deep on the bench with no vlue at all. He's 32 and not a Free Agent until after the 2024 season. He's not getting a big FA contract from anyone if he's released. WOY was right with his Jordy Mercer comp. Mercer had a longer run as a starter and three decent seasons in 17, 18 and 19. After 19 he was non-tendered at age 32 and had to settle for minor league deals. A three-year deal would be a big success for Farmer and would be a fair contract that pays him for the job the Reds need him to do.

Makes a lot more sense than dealing him for the next Josh Van Meter, Travis Jankowski or RJ Alaniz.

MoneyInTheBank
04-25-2022, 06:55 PM

That's fair. I definitely don't think they should just take what they can get for him. I do disagree they couldn't get a Phillips type prospect. Petty would be ambitious

HokieRed
04-26-2022, 11:46 PM
I think they only do it in conjunction with an extension for 2 or 3 years, Say $4 Million per year. That provides a nice insurance policy, rewards Farmer for what he has done and establishes a solid foundation to the bench moving forward. He'd still probably play against most LHP. Last year at this time he was buried deep on the bench with no vlue at all. He's 32 and not a Free Agent until after the 2024 season. He's not getting a big FA contract from anyone if he's released. WOY was right with his Jordy Mercer comp. Mercer had a longer run as a starter and three decent seasons in 17, 18 and 19. After 19 he was non-tendered at age 32 and had to settle for minor league deals. A three-year deal would be a big success for Farmer and would be a fair contract that pays him for the job the Reds need him to do.

Makes a lot more sense than dealing him for the next Josh Van Meter, Travis Jankowski or RJ Alaniz.

If Barrero establishes himself, McClain is coming next year, and you've still got India, what do you do with Schrock if you want to play Farmer $4 million bucks worth? Remember too you've still got Moustakas to pretend with. Why not have the LH bat to back 3b and 2b--Schrock--rather than Farmer (assuming Schrock does what I think we think he can do if he stays healthy). I like Farmer; I just don't see a lot of reason to worry about extending him if Barrero once establishes that he can play and McClain proves he's a major league talent. (I've got more confidence in the second of these than the first by the way0