PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Renfroe Designated for Assignment

camisadelgolf
09-18-2023, 04:43 PM
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/09/reds-designate-hunter-renfroe-for-assignment.html

Unfortunately, Renfroe has struggled immensely since coming to Cincinnati, hitting .128/.227/.205. It’s still a surprise to see the club move on so quickly. Those poor results have come in a small sample of just 44 plate appearances, a time in which he has a .154 batting average on balls in play that would be bound for regression. Nonetheless, it seems the club has decided to quickly cut bait.

It probably doesn't help that there are (possibly unfounded) rumors of him being a racist (https://wisportsheroics.com/brewers-reddit-post-claims-former-outfielder-was-racist-details-adames-extension-talks/).

“Renfroe stuff. He was such a pain in the a–. They’re grateful Counsel is able to handle players so well. They don’t have a problem bringing in players with attitude problems as long as fans won’t turn on them. He felt Renfroe was not so subtly racist. At the very least didn’t get along well with the Hispanic players.”

Red Raindog
09-18-2023, 04:58 PM
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/09/reds-designate-hunter-renfroe-for-assignment.html

It probably doesn't help that there are (possibly unfounded) rumors of him being a racist (https://wisportsheroics.com/brewers-reddit-post-claims-former-outfielder-was-racist-details-adames-extension-talks/).

Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OldFashionedRed
09-18-2023, 05:07 PM
Maybe he'll grow up a bit.

LiferJim
09-18-2023, 05:16 PM
Good news. Glad to hear that, but not the other part. If the rumors are true, then I’m definitely glad he’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDREAD
09-20-2023, 04:40 PM
Renfroe was a big disappointment.
I'm not going to take into account the racism rumors, because I don't know.. so this discussion is assuming that's not true.

Renfroe did not hit very well here, but I think the Reds should have still kept him as a RH bat off the bench.. maybe don't start him against lefties, but it just seems he has more upside (for this year) than Fairchild, who is a decent glove but can't hit -- Bader already has that role covered

If he really was a jerk, and that was well known around baseball (as the rumor implied), then why claim him in the first place?
This makes me think his release was performance based.

mth123
09-20-2023, 05:16 PM
Renfroe was a big disappointment.
I'm not going to take into account the racism rumors, because I don't know.. so this discussion is assuming that's not true.

Renfroe did not hit very well here, but I think the Reds should have still kept him as a RH bat off the bench.. maybe don't start him against lefties, but it just seems he has more upside (for this year) than Fairchild, who is a decent glove but can't hit -- Bader already has that role covered

If he really was a jerk, and that was well known around baseball (as the rumor implied), then why claim him in the first place?
This makes me think his release was performance based.

They can only keep so many guys. Who would he replace?

Boston Red
09-20-2023, 05:58 PM
Who cares if MLB players are jerks? That only matters if you're a fringe guy. Renfroe just sucked with the Reds. He could be Jesus Christ himself and get DFA'd with that performance.

Big Klu
09-20-2023, 07:52 PM
Who cares if MLB players are jerks? That only matters if you're a fringe guy. Renfroe just sucked with the Reds. He could be Jesus Christ himself and get DFA'd with that performance.

Ah, Jesús. I like him very much. But he no help with curveball.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/85i5CpyBv-Q/hqdefault.jpg

cumberlandreds
09-20-2023, 08:26 PM

Ah but Christ could hit the most wicked curve delivered to him.

BCubb2003
09-20-2023, 10:26 PM
Ah but Christ could hit the most wicked curve delivered to him.

Could he hit a pitch that he himself pitched?

REDREAD
09-20-2023, 11:40 PM
They can only keep so many guys. Who would he replace?

I would have kept him (Renfroe) over Fairchild. I'm not sure what value Fairchild brings. Before Bader, he was a glove in the OF, maybe pinch runner. Bader does that role better. I'm assuming Fairchild would not be lost if we did that. If Fairchild would be lost, that changes my decision.

Renfroe struggled in his small sample size, but he's still a power RH bat off the bench. I'm not saying he should be a starter, but he's a better bat off the bench than Fairchild.

cumberlandreds
09-21-2023, 07:15 AM
Could he hit a pitch that he himself pitched?

Absolutely. He also invented the Bugs Bunny change up.

Ky Fried Redleg
09-21-2023, 07:38 AM

Can you imagine the flack a GM would get for DFAing Christ? I DFA'ed him a couple of decades ago and I'm still catching hell(no pun intended) for it.

OesterPoster
09-21-2023, 08:18 AM
I would have kept him (Renfroe) over Fairchild. I'm not sure what value Fairchild brings. Before Bader, he was a glove in the OF, maybe pinch runner. Bader does that role better. I'm assuming Fairchild would not be lost if we did that. If Fairchild would be lost, that changes my decision.

Renfroe struggled in his small sample size, but he's still a power RH bat off the bench. I'm not saying he should be a starter, but he's a better bat off the bench than Fairchild.

Yeah, but Bader is on the IL. I'd rather have Fairchild available for these next few games over Renfroe. Better runner, better glove, and currently a better bat, IMHO. Renfroe looks cooked, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a minor injury that's affecting his swing. His SLG% fell off a cliff in August with the Angels, and then was even worse for the Reds in September.

REDREAD
09-21-2023, 09:23 AM
Yeah, but Bader is on the IL. I'd rather have Fairchild available for these next few games over Renfroe. Better runner, better glove, and currently a better bat, IMHO. Renfroe looks cooked, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a minor injury that's affecting his swing. His SLG% fell off a cliff in August with the Angels, and then was even worse for the Reds in September.

That's a good point, I forgot about Bader being on the IL. Move to DFA Renfroe makes more sense now.