6. K Ruiz (S) C
7. E Rosario (L) CF
8. N Senzel (R) 3B
9. L García Jr. (L) 2B
P. Josiah Gray RHP

Will add Nats lineup when it becomes available

0-2 Count
03-28-2024, 10:38 AM
I will say that Steer hitting 7th surprises me quite a bit. He had a very good spring.

cumberlandreds
03-28-2024, 10:43 AM
Thank you to Ron again for posting the lineups. It's a lot of work and I think most of us really appreciate it. It's good seeing them. I have my DVR set. I'll have to watch it delayed later this evening as I have to take my wife to a Drs. appointment at just about the time the game starting. Let's hope for a great season with many wins and exciting moments over the next six months.

Bourgeois Zee
03-28-2024, 10:47 AM
Solid lineup, top to bottom.

Tons of patience at the top with India and Benson. Good speed too.
Love CES hitting 3rd-- and think he may well end up there throughout the season.
Candelario cleanup? With this group? Meh. Okay.
Fraley 5th against RH makes sense.
EDLC 6th will take advantage of his power.
Steer 7th seems low, but he's not exactly killing RH (.780 OPS last year). I expect him to hit 3rd or 4th against southpaws.
Martini as the DH instead of Espinal for defense is predictable. We'll see if it works.
Stephenson hitting 9th makes me happy. He's the weakest link in this lineup, IMO, aside (perhaps) from EDLC (who has 70 grade power).

mth123
03-28-2024, 10:48 AM
I will say that Steer hitting 7th surprises me quite a bit. He had a very good spring.

The line-up against RHP is really strong even without McLain, Marte and Friedl. So strong, that I'd have opted for more defense with Espinal at 2B, India at DH and Martini on the bench. Stick Espinal in the 9 spot, move Stephenson up one spot and make that the everyday line-up vs RHP. I think the line-up itself looks pretty good. Love seeing Benson in the 2-hole.

My prediction for today, Reds win 8-5. CES and Fraley go yard.

Kc61
03-28-2024, 10:50 AM
Even with the injury absences Reds have a pretty good starting lineup against RHP. (I now see mth posted the same comment.)

As for the batting order, I don’t get it, but maybe it relates to individual matchup numbers with the Nats or Josiah Gray.

One would have expected Steer higher up and CES lower down, but whatever.

Edit: Batting order in many respects tracks OPS against RHP in 2023. With Benson and CES leading the pack (although Martini may have cause to complain!). Might have hit Steer 1 and India 7, both the same split OPS but Steer is such a consistent hitter.

Kilgore_Trout
03-28-2024, 10:56 AM
The greatest game God ever created is back. Hallelujah!

Ron Madden
03-28-2024, 10:57 AM
Thank you to Ron again for posting the lineups. It's a lot of work and I think most of us really appreciate it. It's good seeing them. I have my DVR set. I'll have to watch it delayed later this evening as I have to take my wife to a Drs. appointment at just about the time the game starting. Let's hope for a great season with many wins and exciting moments over the next six months.

You're welcome, it's really no problem.

RedsBrick
03-28-2024, 11:05 AM
Good looking line-up. Go Reds!

RedTeamGo!
03-28-2024, 11:15 AM
The greatest game God ever created is back. Hallelujah!

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past?

Sea Ray
03-28-2024, 11:21 AM
Wonderful to see an Opening Day thread. Just fantastic

My opening day gripe is Elly hitting 6th. Arguably he's the most disruptive baserunner in the league. Do we really want him hitting that low in the lineup? I know he has to prove that he can make more contact and it's just game one

TexasRedsFan
03-28-2024, 11:23 AM
Happy Opening Day! Looking forward to another winning season here with fellow Reds fans.

Steer batting 7th really jumped out to me as well, but I’m glad Bell didn’t hit EDLC second like he had been in the spring. Kid needs to make more consistent contact before that happens.

Kilgore_Trout
03-28-2024, 11:25 AM

Metal Gear Solid

bing
03-28-2024, 11:35 AM
Woo woo!

Tracy Jones
03-28-2024, 11:41 AM
Gotta get off to a decent start here this year. Not a white hot start, just avoid a 3-18 like disaster from a couple years ago. I like the lineup. The city is pumped. The division is gettable. Go Reds!

LiferJim
03-28-2024, 11:47 AM
My opening day gripe is that I won’t be at the game.

Looks like we’ll be off to a 1-0 start!!

Thanks Ron!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeatherPants
03-28-2024, 11:52 AM
On the second page and nobody has called David Bell an idiot, which I think is a record! Everyone must be in a good mood with it being the best day of the year!

15fan
03-28-2024, 11:54 AM
Gonna take a while to get used to seeing the lineup without #19.

cumberlandreds
03-28-2024, 11:55 AM
Gonna take a while to get used to seeing the lineup without #19.

I am guessing this is the first opening day without Votto since about 2009.

redsfan9988
03-28-2024, 11:56 AM
I love Opening Day… what I love even more is seasons in which Opening Day isn’t the peak.

2024 playoffs or bust

Go Reds!

mgbrown66
03-28-2024, 11:57 AM
Looks a lot better than last year's opening day lineup:

India
Friedl
Fraley
Stephenson
Vosler
Myers
Steer
Benson
Barrero

RedTeamGo!
03-28-2024, 12:08 PM
I am guessing this is the first opening day without Votto since about 2009.

He didn't play on opening day last season

0-2 Count
03-28-2024, 12:13 PM

India
Friedl
Fraley
Stephenson
Vosler
Myers
Steer
Benson
Barrero

That lineup is........not good.

Reds Freak
03-28-2024, 12:16 PM

India
Friedl
Fraley
Stephenson
Vosler
Myers
Steer
Benson
Barrero

Bummed about all the injuries, but got a little extra pep in the step after seeing today's lineup. This is still really solid especially when you think about the likes of Freddy Galvis and Phil Ervin and Brayan Pena and Darnell McDonald and Paul Janish who have graced the lineup card on recent Opening Days.

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 12:17 PM

You misspelled Ocarina of Time

Ky Fried Redleg
03-28-2024, 12:28 PM

My favorite Reds player. Professional hitter. I'd move him up.

- - - Updated - - -

I second that motion. Thank you, Ron.

WrongVerb
03-28-2024, 12:36 PM
Let's GOOOOOOOO!!!!

Shoeless Jeff
03-28-2024, 12:37 PM
I understand Elly at 6th. My one fear with him is that he will try to do too much with Marte, Friedl and McLain gone. Takes some pressure off him by dropping him down the lineup. Steer batting 7th is a headscratcher, but I do think CES is going to be a stud! Looking forward to first pitch. The only way it could be better is to hear the dulcet tones of Joe Nuxhall!

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 12:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/live/LMz56h116Kc?si=vB1VBGazom4ZHKqY

For those outside the area (like me), you can watch the opening day parade here

LiferJim
03-28-2024, 12:44 PM
I understand Elly at 6th. My one fear with him is that he will try to do too much with Marte, Friedl and McLain gone. Takes some pressure off him by dropping him down the lineup. Steer batting 7th is a headscratcher, but I do think CES is going to be a stud! Looking forward to first pitch. The only way it could be better is to hear the dulcet tones of Joe Nuxhall!

I agree and I think that was part of Elly’s problem last year. Too much pressure for the young man and he did seem to improve slightly after he was moved down the lineup, though I don’t have the statistics to back that up.

Go Reds!!

Tuff Nut
03-28-2024, 12:48 PM
With Elly hitting 6th, I don't mind Steer at 7, although imo, he should be up higher, but hopefully he does give Elly some protection.

Ron Madden
03-28-2024, 12:56 PM
The Nationals lineup has been added to the original post

mth123
03-28-2024, 01:00 PM
For anyone who thinks we have it bad, the Nats are playing Eddie Rosario in CF. Benson is Joe Dimaggio in comparison.

cumberlandreds
03-28-2024, 01:09 PM
The Nationals lineup has been added to the original post

Winker and Senzel in their lineup. Also Red Killer Lane Thomas.

TheBigLebowski
03-28-2024, 01:14 PM
Winker and Senzel in the Opening Day Lineup in GABP. Not ours.

So weird.

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 01:16 PM
Winker, Senzel, and we might see an appearance from Derek Law.

03-28-2024, 01:24 PM
I have to think that this is Nick Martini’s first opening day start. If so, congratulations Nick!

Ky Fried Redleg
03-28-2024, 01:26 PM
With Elly hitting 6th, I don't mind Steer at 7, although imo, he should be up higher, but hopefully he does give Elly some protection.

I think that's probably the thinking, protection for Elly. FWIW, Steer hit 7th on OD last year, just behind Wil Myers. :rolleyes:

WrongVerb
03-28-2024, 01:28 PM
Winker, Senzel, and we might see an appearance from Derek Law.

Josiah Gray was a Reds farm-hand at one time.

Ron Madden
03-28-2024, 01:28 PM
The Nationals starting pitcher Josiah Gray was a former Reds draft pick

mth123
03-28-2024, 01:32 PM
Against RHP, Steer wasn't any better than any of the guys ahead of him, except possibly Elly. India, CES and EDLC were awful against LHP dragging down their numbers, but are quite good against RHP. We know the story of Fraley and Benson against RHP. Last year Candy had an .813 OPS vs RHP compared to Steer's .780. 7th seems the right spot to me.

Reds are really good against RHP. Since I said that, they'll probably be shut out now.

mth123
03-28-2024, 01:36 PM
Washington having so many failed Reds prospects and former players makes sense. It's a city of failures. Most are in congress or on the White House staff, but apparently the baseball team as well.

That said, I think Jesse Winker will have a big bounce back year.

Kc61
03-28-2024, 01:52 PM
Against RHP, Steer wasn't any better than any of the guys ahead of him, except possibly Elly. India, CES and EDLC were awful against LHP dragging down their numbers, but are quite good against RHP. We know the story of Fraley and Benson against RHP. Last year Candy had an .813 OPS vs RHP compared to Steer's .780. 7th seems the right spot to me.

Reds are really good against RHP. Since I said that, they'll probably be shut out now.

I’d hit Steer higher in the order, maybe even leadoff. I’d have him hitting 1-3 every day against all kinds of pitching. I view Steer as the most consistent hitter on the team overall. I think he can be a top all around NL hitter eventually. Opening every game with Friedl and Steer, for example, would provide men on base consistently with reasonable power. And in today’s lineup, I’d rather have Steer lead off and India seventh. Over the course of the game hitters may face righties or lefties, you never know, and Steer can handle them both.

goreds2
03-28-2024, 01:53 PM
TV: Bally Sports Ohio and WLWT-TV 5 NBC (John Sadak, Barry Larkin & Jim Day)

• Radio: 700WLW and stations on the Reds Radio Network (Tommy Thrall & Jeff Brantley)
https://700wlw.iheart.com/

Note, your location must be within 100 miles from GABP.

“ Listening to Live Sports on iHeartRadio
During the MLB and NFL season, local listeners may be able to catch a play-by-play football and baseball games on participating stations for free without upgrading to a subscription!

Trouble Listening?
If you’re a local listener receiving an "outside the approved territory" blackout message and you are within 100 mi radius of the team's stadium, please ensure that you're using the latest version of the free iHeartRadio app for iOS or Android and your location services are turned on so we can comply with the league's location restrictions by following these steps:

Open Settings in the iHeartRadio app by tapping the gear icon
Tap on Account
Tap “Use Current Location” and grant permission location access
If you’re still having trouble, please reach out to our Customer Care team and we can check if it’s working as expected.

Note: We recommend visiting the league's official site for more information on blackout restrictions and possible alternative ways of listening. “

https://help.iheart.com/hc/en-us/articles/9474717276429-Listening-to-Live-Sports-on-iHeartRadio

cumberlandreds
03-28-2024, 01:55 PM
TV: Bally Sports Ohio and WLWT-TV 5 NBC (John Sadak, Barry Larkin & Jim Day)

• Radio: 700WLW and stations on the Reds Radio Network (Tommy Thrall & Jeff Brantley)
https://700wlw.iheart.com/

Note, your location must be within 100 miles from GABP.

“ Listening to Live Sports on iHeartRadio
During the MLB and NFL season, local listeners may be able to catch a play-by-play football and baseball games on participating stations for free without upgrading to a subscription!

Trouble Listening?
If you’re a local listener receiving an "outside the approved territory" blackout message and you are within 100 mi radius of the team's stadium, please ensure that you're using the latest version of the free iHeartRadio app for iOS or Android and your location services are turned on so we can comply with the league's location restrictions by following these steps:

Open Settings in the iHeartRadio app by tapping the gear icon
Tap on Account
Tap “Use Current Location” and grant permission location access
If you’re still having trouble, please reach out to our Customer Care team and we can check if it’s working as expected.

Note: We recommend visiting the league's official site for more information on blackout restrictions and possible alternative ways of listening. “

https://help.iheart.com/hc/en-us/articles/9474717276429-Listening-to-Live-Sports-on-iHeartRadio

Is Chris Welsh still around? I would have thought he would have been part of opening day.

KeefeCato
03-28-2024, 01:59 PM
I'll take a stab at the lineup vs. LHP

India DH
Steer LF
Strand 1b
Candy 3b
Elly SS
Stevenson C
Fairchild CF
Espinal 2B
Thompson RF

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 02:01 PM
Reds are making moves on opening day

Cincinnati Reds
@Reds

The #Reds today claimed RHP Yosver Zuleta off waivers from the Blue Jays and optioned him to Triple-A Louisville.

To make room on the 40-man roster, IF Matt McLain was transferred to the 60-day injured list.

And I guess they re-signed Ford, too

goreds2
03-28-2024, 02:04 PM
Is Chris Welsh still around? I would have thought he would have been part of opening day.

I think Larking does home games and Welsh road games.

LiferJim
03-28-2024, 02:09 PM

India DH
Steer LF
Strand 1b
Candy 3b
Elly SS
Stevenson C
Fairchild CF
Espinal 2B
Thompson RF

Not bad, but I think Elly should be more like 9th against lefties, as he hasn’t hit them very well at all.

UPRedsFan
03-28-2024, 02:19 PM

India DH
Steer LF
Strand 1b
Candy 3b
Elly SS
Stevenson C
Fairchild CF
Espinal 2B
Thompson RF

Good stab. But Thompson in center and Fairchild in right.

GAC
03-28-2024, 02:23 PM
Sitting down outside Moerlein House with some friends, getting ready to go over into the stadium. It's like walking into the mouth of Madness lol

Cop-A-Freel
03-28-2024, 02:37 PM
Wire 2 Wire

- - - Updated - - -

Has B-ete Rose chimed in this spring at all? Huge fan out here in Utah.

0-2 Count
03-28-2024, 02:47 PM

India DH
Steer LF
Strand 1b
Candy 3b
Elly SS
Stevenson C
Fairchild CF
Espinal 2B
Thompson RF

Until Friedl is back, I think the Reds need to start Benson against most lefties. Otherwise, they don't have RH balance on the bench. Opposing managers will draw the lefties (Benson, Fraley, and Martini) off the bench against a RHP in the 6th & 7th and then when the lineup wraps back around in the 9th, those guys will be facing lefties. Maile would be available to PH for one of them, but no other RH will be available.

Save Thompson and the backup catcher for late inning RH at bats and take a chance that Benson can develop some consistency with regular starts against lefties.

mth123
03-28-2024, 02:50 PM

India DH
Steer LF
Strand 1b
Candy 3b
Elly SS
Stevenson C
Fairchild CF
Espinal 2B
Thompson RF

I'd hope Thompson doesn't get any starts and just comes in for late game defense or to PR.

India LF
Steer RF
Stephenson 1B
Candelario 3B
CES DH
EDLC SS
Fairchild CF
Maile C
Espinal 2B

OF is hurt defensively, but drastically improved behind the plate. As much as I criticize India and Steer for their defense, Stephenson behind the plate is the Reds worst defensive position and his poor framing impacts the pitchers, so I don't think the overall defense is impacted that much. Maile is a much better bat vs LHP than Thompson and a few other guys starting here.

Maile should start all the games against LHP (but they need Stephenson's bat in there too) and he and Stephenson should get their days off against RHP (assuming health of course). Stephenson should probably get about 65% of the starts behind the plate against RHP. .

Cyclone792
03-28-2024, 02:52 PM
Less than 90 minutes until first pitch.

Meanwhile, I'd like to offer Ron Madden a huge Opening Day tip of the cap for his awesome updates on article, news and everything else this past offseason. Much appreciated, as always, Ron!

:redcap:

:thisyear:

Kingspoint
03-28-2024, 02:56 PM

Surprised me, too. How David Bell goes about painting his masterpiece that's called the 2024 Cincinnati REDS Season is going to be enjoyable to watch. While I personally would do much of it differently, I posess about 1/1000th of the information he has available that goes into the decisions he makes as he applies each brush-stroke to the canvas. Like all oil artists, the first few layers won't resemble anything regarding the final product, as the final product will be the result of the adjustments Bell makes throughout the season, changing the landscape, the lineups as he feels his way through the season.

I like the idea of putting the team's best hitter behind our future MVP to protect him and give him a chance to see good pitches and steal bases. EDLC can benefit from hitting 6th. Obviously, if I think Steer is the team's best hitter, I wouldn't want him batting anywhere below 4th, but EDLC is eventually going to be an MVP candidate and that's something that needs to be nurtured and developed. Sacrificing Steer early in the season a few at-bats along with prime opportunities for driving in Jonathan India (who could easily have the team's best OBP this season) is something to watch. Steer will produce wherever he's at and it makes the bottom of our lineup incredibly dangerous.

Kingspoint
03-28-2024, 03:03 PM

Love CES hitting 3rd-- and think he may well end up there throughout the season.
Steer 7th seems low, but he's not exactly killing RH (.780 OPS last year). I expect him to hit 3rd or 4th against southpaws.
Martini as the DH instead of Espinal for defense is predictable. We'll see if it works.
Stephenson hitting 9th makes me happy. He's the weakest link in this lineup, IMO, aside (perhaps) from EDLC (who has 70 grade power).

Great point about patience at the top of the lineup with Benson and India. I think patience is going to be extremely important for this team. With our team speed, we have to give guys on base a chance to steal bases, we have to find other ways to get bases (WP's, BB's, HBP's), and that can't happen swinging at the first couple of pitches. The top two guys set the tone, and with Friedl gone, I was concerned that whoever batterd behind India might not have the patience needed to set the tone.

I like Stephenson batting whenever there's 2 outs as it makes it impossible to hit into a double-play. As a 2-out hitter, he can be very productive.

The 6th spot has always been a great spot for a guy who steals and can get himself into scoring position. It's where Concepcion always batted, and it only took one hit from the 7th or 8th batter to score the runner, as long as the 7th batter wasn't swinging early in the count, or even no hits if the 5-hole made the last out of the previous inning.

Agree that Candelario should be batting 7th or 8th most of the time. I'd have Steer 4th and Candelario 7th, but I'm perfectly fine with whatever decisions Bell makes for whatever reasons he has (that I have no idea what they are).

I do like how David Bell has become a pretty good Manager. I'm glad we have him.

KittyDuran
03-28-2024, 03:05 PM
@GABP…a little windy but the [emoji3508] is out!⚾️

VR
03-28-2024, 03:08 PM
TySteve batting cleanup last year. Oof. Hopefully lower expectations and better health are just what he needs.

OesterPoster
03-28-2024, 03:16 PM
I think Larking does home games and Welsh road games.

I think they're both in the booth today. Sadak just did a little video from the booth and showed Lark's chair and Welsh's personal headset he brings with him everywhere.

Ky Fried Redleg
03-28-2024, 03:18 PM
I’d hit Steer higher in the order, maybe even leadoff. I’d have him hitting 1-3 every day against all kinds of pitching. I view Steer as the most consistent hitter on the team overall. I think he can be a top all around NL hitter eventually. Opening every game with Friedl and Steer, for example, would provide men on base consistently with reasonable power. And in today’s lineup, I’d rather have Steer lead off and India seventh. Over the course of the game hitters may face righties or lefties, you never know, and Steer can handle them both.

Good post, as usual. Midseason form, already.

BCubb2003
03-28-2024, 03:18 PM
Argh. Should have known that here on the other side of Virginia, the Reds Opening Day game is blacked out on account of the Commanders.

Kingspoint
03-28-2024, 03:23 PM
I'm fine with India playing 2B when we have a Right-hander pitching. He's likely to get only 3-6 chances there during a game. He's OK turning the Double-play, something I see him being involved in twice today (3 total DP's by the REDS).

I think the low-bar for any REDS' baseball game this year, as far as Stolen Bases is concerned, is two. I truly think we'll get over 300 SB's this season as a team.

Cop-A-Freel
03-28-2024, 03:23 PM
Has Bell removed the SP yet?

Dave C
03-28-2024, 03:24 PM

Interesting. Glad CES is not in the bottom 1/3 where he was in ST. Steer at 3 and move everyone below down a slot seems to be a little better however.

Part of me is glad to see EDLC lower in the line up and part of me would like to see him toward the top. Make him earn it with getting on base approach I guess.

Kingspoint
03-28-2024, 03:31 PM
Washington having so many failed Reds prospects and former players makes sense. It's a city of failures. Most are in congress or on the White House staff, but apparently the baseball team as well.

That said, I think Jesse Winker will have a big bounce back year.

If Winker could avoid being released, it would be a bounce-back year for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Argh. Should have known that here on the other side of Virginia, the Reds Opening Day game is blacked out on account of the Commanders.

Does that mean you can't get it on mlb.tv subscription, too? $1 per game for the season.

BCubb2003
03-28-2024, 03:37 PM
If Winker could avoid being released, it would be a bounce-back year for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Does that mean you can't get it on mlb.tv subscription, too? $1 per game for the season.

Yes, Reds vs. Washington games are blacked out for me.

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 03:40 PM
I think it might be time for Bob C to stop doing interviews.

Mississippi Joe
03-28-2024, 03:42 PM
I've been lurking around for a few years but rarely post. I started watching the Reds in 1970 when I moved to Cincy after high school. I sold beer at Riverfront Stadium for several years. I don't know as much about the ins and outs of the team as most of you, but since I'm retired now maybe I can learn a lot more. Here's to a successful season and Go Reds!

Roy Tucker
03-28-2024, 03:45 PM
I remember when Benavides was really skinny.

03-28-2024, 03:46 PM
I think it might be time for Bob C to stop doing interviews.

Still, better than Phil.

Roy Tucker
03-28-2024, 03:48 PM
Let me say it first. Martini, shaken, not stirred.

LeatherPants
03-28-2024, 03:51 PM
Nick Senzel is a scratch and has been replaced by Ildemaro Vargas batting 8th and playing 3rd

Phoenix2
03-28-2024, 03:51 PM
I'm really going to try not to care about the lineup. It's David Bell and for as long as he's the manager we're going to see unending variations. It really isn't worth the time.

LeatherPants
03-28-2024, 03:52 PM
Nick Senzel is a scratch and has been replaced by Ildemaro Vargas batting 8th and playing 3rd

For those of you that have been asleep for the last six months, Nick is a scratch for the Nats and not the Reds. So...progress?

Roy Tucker
03-28-2024, 03:52 PM
I’m getting too sentimental. Getting choked up over the Remembrance segment.

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 03:54 PM

Genuinely wasn't sure whether you were serious or joking.

LiferJim
03-28-2024, 03:54 PM
That tribute just done was great and brought a tear to my eye, when talking about Gullet.

Go Reds!!

03-28-2024, 03:55 PM
Bringing a bit of Cincinnati to LA on opening day. Skyline and Graeter’s

Kingspoint
03-28-2024, 03:57 PM
Nobody does Opening Day like the Cincinnati REDS.

I'm so pumped. Great National Anthem.

Elly got the biggest applause.

Wish you all well today. I'll not be going back and forth between game and redszone as I want to get the full enjoyment from the game. Thank you to those who participate in the game-thread for those who cannot view the game. With my computer hooked up to the TV, I just miss too much of the game when I do the game-thread, too.

Go REDS!!!

LeatherPants
03-28-2024, 03:59 PM
Genuinely wasn't sure whether you were serious or joking.

Nope

Kingspoint
03-28-2024, 03:59 PM
Let me say it first. Martini, shaken, not stirred.

Are you suggesting that we may see a picture of a Martini, or a Double Martini?

LiferJim
03-28-2024, 04:00 PM
Are you suggesting that we may see a picture of a Martini, or a Double Martini?

I like chocolate Martinis, seriously

Kingspoint
03-28-2024, 04:02 PM
I've been lurking around for a few years but rarely post. I started watching the Reds in 1970 when I moved to Cincy after high school. I sold beer at Riverfront Stadium for several years. I don't know as much about the ins and outs of the team as most of you, but since I'm retired now maybe I can learn a lot more. Here's to a successful season and Go Reds!

Great introduction. Love the avatar and the name.

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 04:02 PM
Hoping for an easy first inning for Montas.

And then an easy 6 more innings for Montas.

Cherokee
03-28-2024, 04:05 PM
Better than Christmas morning!!!

Strikes Out Looking
03-28-2024, 04:09 PM
Stuck with the Nats telecast. They just tried to say that for Josiah Gray this is about the disrespect the Reds showed him by trading him when he was a prospect.

LiferJim
03-28-2024, 04:10 PM
Better than Christmas morning!!!

Maybe better than whoppie or maybe a tie. lol

RichRed
03-28-2024, 04:11 PM
Let’s do this, my fellow Reds-rootin’ rascals and rapscallions!

TheBigLebowski
03-28-2024, 04:11 PM
Let’s go FRANKIE

KittyDuran
03-28-2024, 04:12 PM
POV: I’m here with Boss and his good lady wife! ⚾️https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240328/f8ea360e20f1dbee83476db83fdff308.jpg

TCURedleg34
Oh look, Senzel already hurt. Shocker.

0-2 Count
Senzel hurt already? Oh my.

TheBigLebowski
And we’re one out closer to a World Series!

- - - Updated - - -

I heard the bit about Senzel and spit out my water. You can’t write that stuff.

Roy Tucker
03-28-2024, 04:14 PM
Hey, I’ve seen this Winker guy before.

Ky Fried Redleg
03-28-2024, 04:15 PM
POV: I’m here with Boss and his good lady wife! ⚾️https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240328/f8ea360e20f1dbee83476db83fdff308.jpg

Enjoy, folks. Bring us home a win!!!

NebraskaRed
Lol Winker

Kc61
Winker thrown out by Fraley at second base.

LiferJim
Great play Jake!!!

Stray
lol he was out by a mile

VR
Hey, I’ve seen this Winker guy before.

He looks much leaner (but…not faster) [emoji41]

NebraskaRed
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/frankie-says-relax-allena-crombie.jpg

Cherokee
Atta boy Jake!

Roy Tucker
03-28-2024, 04:16 PM
Dumb play by Winker. Good throw by Fraley. Like the defense.

TexasRedsFan
Senzel hurt already and Winker still slow as molasses.

TheBigLebowski
Winker….hah. Swing looked good, though.

Nice hose by Jake.

Kc61
Winker is better off going station to station. He’s a hitter, not a runner.

mhs95_06
11 pitches for Montas in the 1st with the benefit of the first outfield assist of the season for Fraley.

Mississippi Joe
03-28-2024, 04:17 PM
Can you still have a perfect game after that?

Kingspoint

I expect you to catch a foul-ball from Jake Fraley.

Darren35
11 pitches for Montas in the 1st with the benefit of the first outfield assist of the season for Fraley.

That’s refreshing.

Ironman92
Winker doing Winker things….I just don’t miss him

mth123
Senzel scratched and Winker with a TOOTBLAN. Yep, it's really them.

Senzel not in CF and gets hurt anyway. I never bought the position switch as the excuse for Nick.

Tom Servo
03-28-2024, 04:18 PM
That was a strike to India but we'll take the BB.

Ironman92
03-28-2024, 04:18 PM
Umpires doing umpire things…haven’t missed that

TheBigLebowski
03-28-2024, 04:19 PM
Nice BB for Jonny

mhs95_06
First gift from an ump this season gets India on base!

Sabo Fan
Welsh with a little shade thrown Winker’s way, referencing his tendency to make questionable base running decisions. Classic.

Ironman92
Senzel scratch is very Senzel-like

mth123
03-28-2024, 04:20 PM
Reds lead coming in 3-2-1

Oh well. First of many times being wrong this year.

mhs95_06
03-28-2024, 04:22 PM

Senzel not in CF and gets hurt anyway. I never bought the position switch as the excuse for Nick.

I wouldn't characterize it as a TOOTBLAN with 2 outs, like I would with 1 out. Trying to get in scoring position and there was a lot more chance that way than trying for a SB.

WrongVerb
03-28-2024, 04:23 PM

Same for me, just outside of DC.

Kc61
03-28-2024, 04:23 PM

Where on the field was Nick in practice, BTW? When he was hurt today?

Tom Servo
03-28-2024, 04:24 PM
Reds being no hit. Very very sad.

TexasRedsFan
03-28-2024, 04:25 PM
Reds need to enact payback this series. Getting swept last year likely cost them the playoffs.

Roy Tucker
Gray with a lot of offspeed stuff.

Ironman92
I wouldn't characterize it as a TOOTBLAN with 2 outs, like I would with 1 out. Trying to get in scoring position and there was a lot more chance that way than trying for a SB.

Maybe not a TOOTBLAN but he was thrown out and it wasn’t even competitive

VR
03-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Can you still have a perfect game after that?

Nope

TheBigLebowski
03-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Gray really blew out that Candelario.

03-28-2024, 04:27 PM

Same for me, just outside of DC.

Blacked out on MLB.TV or blacked out on the local broadcast, or both?

TheBigLebowski
03-28-2024, 04:28 PM
Meneses sounds like an STD

mth123
03-28-2024, 04:28 PM

It was Winker running. Play it safe should be the all the time mode.

Ironman92
03-28-2024, 04:30 PM
Joey Gallo over/under 200 career HR?

Run-D.L.C
03-28-2024, 04:31 PM

https://www.thestreameast.to/mlb/washington-nationals-cincinnati-reds-10/

TheBigLebowski
03-28-2024, 04:31 PM
India looks good. So glad we kept him.

mhs95_06
03-28-2024, 04:32 PM
If you are going to give up a hit in an inning, that is the way to do it, with 2 out and none on! 2 innings, 20 pitches.

Ky Fried Redleg
Gray really blew out that Candelario.

TBL, you've had that one teed up for months. :)

Run-D.L.C

https://www.thestreameast.to/mlb/washington-nationals-cincinnati-reds-10/

Strikes Out Looking
03-28-2024, 04:33 PM

Getting the local broadcast on MASN2

goreds2
03-28-2024, 04:33 PM
Montas 20 pitches through 2 innings.

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 04:35 PM
And there goes the no hitter

Ky Fried Redleg
03-28-2024, 04:35 PM
Meneses sounds like an STD

Bull... Sounds like a Civil War Battle. :)

Kc61
03-28-2024, 04:36 PM
Can’t imagine why EDLC bunted there.

And Larkin is thrilled that Fraley would have been safe.

First Reds hit of 2024 is a hustle, infield single.

Dave C
Young teams have issues with breaking balls... looks like they game planned us.

mhs95_06
03-28-2024, 04:37 PM
Come on Elly, don't give up on the bunt after one attempt!

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 04:39 PM
Barry "if I speak long enough, I'll figure out something to say" Larkin

InsaneinthBrame
Senzel scratch is very Senzel-like

He was Senzeled

Tom Servo
1-0 good guys :)

Larkin talking a lot about his personal relationships with these Reds, for those looking into hints on things...

Kingspoint
...cause that's what he does!!!

mth123
Steer in the 7 hole is genius.

Roy Tucker
I like Steer. I think he’s going to have a good year.

Kc61
03-28-2024, 04:40 PM
Glad Steer was hitting seventh and able to knock in that run.

Not glad that Steer is hitting seventh because he’s much better than that.

LiferJim
Great at bat Spencer! He won’t be 7th too long

Strikes Out Looking
Nice hitting by Steer to put the Reds up 1-0

TheBigLebowski
Steer!

Kingspoint
Come on Elly, don't give up on the bunt after one attempt!

...and be smart at the plate...aware of what's happening on the basepaths.

TheBigLebowski
03-28-2024, 04:41 PM
TBL, you've had that one teed up for months. :)

No, spur of the moment. I promise

Tom Servo
Martini!!! :jump:

NebraskaRed
Martini!!!

mth123
Martini!!!!

Strikes Out Looking
Martini!!!!!!! 3=0

Kc61
Martini continues . . . .

TheBurn
small ball :D

Kingspoint
Oh, yeah!!!!

I can't stay away from the game-threads!!!!

Not with excitement like this!

03-28-2024, 04:42 PM
First Reds run of 2024 comes from a hustle, infield single, a stolen base, and an opposite field single. Nice way to manufacture runs.

And then Martini finds an easier way with a 2 run bomb!

Reds 3-0

mhs95_06
That Steer blooper shows why it was imperative for Fraley to get to 2B on the Elly AB, and then the HR makes it a 3 run inning!

Roy Tucker
Martini hit the snot out of that ball.

Strikes Out Looking
Great job for the bottom of the order.

Kc61
Reds should hit for much more power this season. Lot of guys with pop in their bats will be with Reds for full season. Martini is one of them.

LiferJim
Woohoo!!!

Dave C
So... Martini was the correct pick I see...

Ky Fried Redleg
03-28-2024, 04:43 PM
I like Steer. I think he’s going to have a good year.

I just love his approach to the game.

mhs95_06
India with a good break and a bad one in 2 ABs.

Kingspoint
108.7 mph for Stephenson

104.9 for Martini

WrongVerb
03-28-2024, 04:44 PM
That ball was shaken, and stirred...

VR
108.7 mph for Stephenson

104.9 for Martini

102 for India [emoji41]

Tom Servo
Benson tho

NebraskaRed
This is fun

LiferJim
My boy Benson delivers!

Dave C
108.7 mph for Stephenson

104.9 for Martini

103 for India's line out

Roy Tucker
Reds are hitting shots against Gray.

mhs95_06
CES just needs a solid single, don't try for too much.

VR
03-28-2024, 04:45 PM
Only 100 for Benson… 🥸

CaiGuy
102 for India [emoji41]

Where is this live stat cast data coming from?

Kingspoint
102.3 for India

100.1 mph for Benson

The Reds seem to be seeing the ball well this inning.

WildcatFan
These are some rips.

Kingspoint

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=746737

- - - Updated - - -

Love Montas' 3 pop-ups already.

TheBurn
03-28-2024, 04:47 PM
that was fun

Kc61
Still early. No victory laps.

Kingspoint
I just love his approach to the game.

He really got this going by taking a good pitch from Gray and hitting it with an exit velocity of 79 mph for an rbi single.

Kc61
03-28-2024, 04:48 PM
Montas is an odd choice as a Reds pitcher. He gets the ball over the plate.

InsaneinthBrame
03-28-2024, 04:49 PM
The Steered Martini inning

mhs95_06
03-28-2024, 04:50 PM
I wish India would play that easy ground ball in front of him, would McLain? Much better on the 2nd grounder of the inning.

LiferJim
03-28-2024, 04:50 PM
India working on his gold glove season

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 04:52 PM
Montas is looking great, so far.

Tom Servo
03-28-2024, 04:52 PM
Montas 90 pitch, no strikeout complete game incoming I guess lol

VR
03-28-2024, 04:53 PM

Gameday App.

Hopefully Greene can learn from this

Mitri
JJ Gray isn't very good, it's a relief to see them pouncing on his weak stuff.

WrongVerb

I'll take that!

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 04:54 PM
Dodgers 3, Cardinals 0

Good news all around

Kingspoint
03-28-2024, 04:54 PM
That's 5 outs for India already and the Single went to his right. Montas is pitching in a way that sends everything his way and to that side.

So nice to have a guy like Montas at the TOR. We needed someone like this last year to teach our young pitchers how to pitch. Johnson can say all he wants, but they're going to listen to a TOP guy a lot more. I'm sure Krall wanted a guy like this last Winter, but probably couldn't sell the idea to Ownership.

Roy Tucker
03-28-2024, 04:55 PM
Larkin is orgasmic about India’s erect defense.

Tom Servo
03-28-2024, 04:56 PM
Fraley locked in.

TheBigLebowski
Candelario blown out again, rather unceremoniously

Kingspoint
Have yourself a game, Jake!

Cherokee
Have a day, Jake!

mgbrown66
Reds looking good so far!!!!!

Bourgeois Zee
Fraley might not ever make an out again.

Tom Servo
JJ Gray isn't very good, it's a relief to see them pouncing on his weak stuff.
no I'm pretty sure he and Jeter Downs are still Cooperstown bound.

03-28-2024, 04:57 PM
Dodgers 3, Cardinals 0

Good news all around

5-0 now.

Maldez
Candelario looks bad at the plate.

Mitri
Candy looks like he's not even trying at the plate.

- - - Updated - - -

Hit it to Winker more.

Tom Servo
03-28-2024, 04:58 PM
good job Elly!

NebraskaRed
Nice AB by Elly

TheBurn
they are just seeing the ball well I guess... :)

Dave C
1 FB in each AB for Elly... each one was 3 feet off the plate.

TheBigLebowski
03-28-2024, 04:59 PM
Love the plate discipline

Mitri
03-28-2024, 05:00 PM
Barry Larkin tries, but he is just not a good storyteller.

NebraskaRed
03-28-2024, 05:01 PM
Steer is the man

Tom Servo
Steeeeeeerrrr

And nobody got thrown out on the bases either, another win :lol:

Strikes Out Looking
Steer half way to a cycle

Kc61
Steer is such a good hitter.

Kingspoint
...cause that's what he does!!!

mhs95_06
Fraley locked in.

Nice oppo double on an outside pitch.

Bourgeois Zee
Spencer Steer might also never make an out again.

Maldez
03-28-2024, 05:02 PM
Steer's an animal !

TheBigLebowski
This is the greatest baseball team ever assembled.

Redsfan6272
Those on here who wanted to trade Steer are nuts! He is untouchable

TheBurn
4-0... gotta love it

Strikes Out Looking
2 Martini lunch today

Dave C
Make that a double Martini

NebraskaRed
Future Reds hall of famer, Nick Martini

Tom Servo
Martini!!!! :jump:

wow!

Redsfan6272
Wow Martini!! 2 homers

Mississippi Joe
03-28-2024, 05:03 PM
Break it open!

VR
Double Martini!!

mgbrown66
Holy Martini Batman!!!!!!!

Maldez
Martini !!!

Kilgore_Trout
Have yourself a day, Martini!!!

Bourgeois Zee
Nick Martini has decided to just hit HR from now on.

TheBigLebowski
Martini is an animal

Ky Fried Redleg
Candelario looks bad at the plate.

So did Karen Carpenter.

It's just 2 of 500. He'll get it going.

InsaneinthBrame
Steer that Martini

Mitri
no I'm pretty sure he and Jeter Downs are still Cooperstown bound.

Crazy that Farmdawg was the best player in that trade lol

TheBurn
oh my! fantastic :beerme:

TexasRedsFan
This is fun! You get a Martini and you get a Martini……

Kc61
03-28-2024, 05:04 PM
I seem to recall some unhappiness about Martini at DH against RHP.