PDA

View Full Version : Third Annual Redszone Postees Awards

savafan
11-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Isn't it about that time for nominations?

savafan
12-01-2003, 03:15 AM
The Categories from last year (any ideas for new categories this year?):

Most missed poster

Miss the daily Richard Hand expose on typing with both eyes closed? Wish Fox could still regale us with constant rumors from his unnamed baseball sources? Fiind yourself melancholy over the absense of a myriad of former posters? Who's missed most?

Best tag line

The tag line is that little thing at the bottom of some posts. No, not that little thing at the bottom; the other little thing. Who inspires best? Makes you laugh? Makes you scratch your head trying to decipher those in jokes that are sure to make sense if only you start licking toads.

Best Moniker

Like the understatement of princeton, that Ivy League professor of Reds-related knowledge? Or, Hey Kids! How about Krusty? Does one of the Teamsters make you think about things even before you read their posts? If so, show them you care!

Most Valuable Poster

Whose information do you read first, agree the most with, or disagree but read first anyway? Who finds things you'd never, ever get to read without their help? Who makes you think most?

Most Clever

Best use of poetry, tone, statistics, one-liners to get the point across. Who made a point this year that just made you stop whatever else you were doing and go "uh-huh".

Best Armchair GM

Who would you rather run the Reds than Jim Bowden? Who is the next Theo Epstein?

Best Trademeister

Who comes up with the best deals? Whether it be plausible or not, which of the ADD posters here entertains you with their constant tinkering with the Cincinnati roster?

Best Discussion

Which discussion throughout the year made you think the most? Made you turn to the most? Got the most response? Made you bang your head on the keyboard and curse the heavens because it came up so slow?

Worst Typist

Whether it be grammatical, misspellings, or unclear wording, who makes you scratch your head and wonder what they're taking?

Funniest

Who makes you shoot milk through your nose everytime they post? Who makes you giggle even before you open their posts?

Best Use of Statistics

Which sabre-head helps you understand the game best?

Most Long-winded

Who can't ever shut up, even though you already get the point and wish they'd just stop, they just keep going and going and going, even though they've already gotten across everything they wanted to say they also go off onto other tangents like that time I was sittin in my car and suddenly I thought of a great trade involving Danny Jackson and a gorilla except this gorilla is like the gorilla in Congo and have you ever seen that movie it's really not bad... Nevermind.

Most Positive

Begging the pardon of Rosy Red here, who's the rosiest of us all? Whose glass is consantly half full?

Most Negative

Who is the eeyore?

Best Use of an Emoticon

Who :confused: deserves :beerme: and :thumbup: for coming up with all the best of these little guys out of all http://www.chriscaffery.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/dragon.gif http://www.chriscaffery.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_dorks.gif http://www.chriscaffery.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/lightsaber.gif us posters.

Nicest

Who is the person most likely to give you the Junor Jersey off their back? Who makes you grin like a little kid?

Best Moderator

Who do you depend on the most? Which one of those guys seems to fix everything?

Best Chatter

Only those that have attended the chat room may vote in this highly contested award. (Haynes underwear will be given to the winner. But not Haynes' underwear.)

Most Off-Topic

I like potatoes!

And, I submit for new awards this year:

Best Newcomer

Who has joined Redszone in the last year and made a lasting impact?

Best Outsider

Favorite fan of a team other than the Reds

Want some other awards? Just write them in. Remember to vote early, often, and Democratic!

Mr Red
12-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Most Missed- Obviously should be RBA.....I've missed creek lately also(where you at creek?)

Best newcomer in last year- Ramp101....most fans from other teams can be pretty obnoxious(sp?) at times but ramp has always been pretty objective

Best trademeister- without a doubt the Ole Kruster

Best outsider- Once again ramp

Redsland
12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Comeback Player of the Year - Red Storm :thumbup:

TeamCasey
12-01-2003, 03:31 PM
Most cleverly funny - BCubb :)

buckeyenut
12-01-2003, 05:00 PM
The ones I always read no matter what? Biitner Pill, Red Storm

The ones I try to catch whenever they post? ramp101, Krusty, savafan, TeamClark

letsgojunior
12-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Most Positive - Is anyone actually positive anymore?

Most Negative - REDREAD, you are still the man!

Most Missed - RBA definitely - Thanks for serving our country!

Best Moderator - Chip is always good at refereeing, and is a good guy in general

Best Use of Stats - Easily RFS62, has the best grasp of the balance between stats and perception. And as a corollary to this award, I would just like to thank RFS62 for being an outstanding person and mentor outside of Redszone.

Most Clever - Redsland always says something to make me laugh or marvel about how something so simple can be so intelligent.

Nicest - Long list - VR instantly comes to mind, as do MWM, Randy in Char NC, Chip

Best Armchair GM - M2 always has good ideas, and views the GM job (and the marketing/PR of the team) in the proper perspective

Best Outsider - MattyMo is consistently fair and classy, even though I despise his team:)

Best Discussion - "My favorite Star Wars character is Lou Skywalker."

Funniest - Johnny Footstool easily - I'm still not over Dante Bichette being pregnant

Best Moniker - I've always been a fan of Princeton

Most Underrated Poster - MWM brings intelligence to every discussion in a classy, thoughtful manner

Best Trademeister - Biitner Pill comes up with some interesting ones

Best Knowledge of Music - Okay, so I designed this award for LF

And finally... the LGJ equivalent of the Palme D'Or

Best Poster - Red Storm - The most intelligent, thoughtful, considerate person I have come across on here, who is having a very difficult year but still perservering.

letsgojunior
12-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Oops... and to add one, most long-winded goes to Edskin and his "must-win" threads.:)

Stormy
12-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Any nominations like these just come off the top of your head, and run the risk of completely missing some of the best and brightest, just because you haven't consciously seen their post/name today. Such an incomplete list...

Most Positive - TeamBoone... always a ray of sunshine, except when she's not. Otherwise, Falls City Beer - the sacrifice of his first born caused an epiphany. MikeS21, though I'm trying to convert him.

Most Negative - REDREAD - Even a broken clock is right everyday for 4 straight years ;)

Most Missed - Spitball. Ahhhh, worthy nemesis, who had insight/perspective into the game shared only by the likes of guys like RFS62. Larkin Fan, as well in terms of baseball contribution. Guacarock knows his stuff as well, though rarely shares his gnostic treasures.

Prospect With the Highest Ceiling: LGJ. Knows more than all us other morons combined; knows how to convey it; and does it in her indifferent, spare time. Plenty of room to grow into a Hall of Famer... and brings plenty of spark to the table as well.

Most Controversial: gm... When he gets an idea in his head (often good, and ahead of their time) he's not letting it go. Red-in-LA... the master at his exceptional crafts.

Best Moderator - Chip and CougarQuest reign supreme, like a nacho supreme.

Best Use of Stats - WOY - He lays the stats out, and then leaves his fingerprints off them, so as refrain from manipulating the uvarnished truth to support his case. Also, Raisor.

Most Clever - Redsland's wit is unmatched in it's power and brevity. He really lightens the mood of any thread with his presence. Probably the only guy whose every post just makes you feel better. BCubb's post's are exceptionally insightful as well.

Nicest - Long list - VR, MWM, RandyNC, Redsbaron, LF, Boss, LGJ, creek, BobB, TC, RH17, Raisor, macro, WVRedsfan - a BUNCH of people on this special site.

Best Armchair GM - That's a tough call, as we rarely have posts which articulate a poster's view of an entire organizational philosophy anymore... maybe Bill, redheeler, chili, or princeton.

Best Outsider - MattyMo, even though I profoundly dislike the "real" MattyMo... and, obviously, Ramp!

Best Discussion - M2 is the font from whence all great discussions flow. Not sure about best individual discussion. Sava, Raven and Guernsey for starting numerous discussions.

Most Passionate: Santo Alcala, Creek, Edskin (until he finally, inevitably confronts reality) ;)

Funniest - Johnny Footstool combines the timely jab of humor, with a powerful lefthook of game knowledge. KYRedsfan for his spontaneous observations, as well.

Best Game Thread Contributors: KYRedsfan is the anchor, PuffyPig is the guy who keeps everyone else in check, Red in DC, VBReds, Puffy, LVJ, TonyC, SteelSD, WVRedsfan and the rest of our motley cast (who escape me in the offseason), who all know more than the entire coaching staff, roster and F.O. combined.

Best Moniker - ReveringforBlue... I don't know why, I just like it. And he's one of the" good guys."

Most Underrated Poster - Buckeyenut, MWM are two guys whose post often make the pivotal point in a thread almost before you recognize who posted them. Reds4life, Buckeyeredleg, GoReds, KC61, Bill, macro and others fall into this category as well.

Best Sense of Historical Perspective: RedsBaron

Best Trademeister - Biitner Pill and Krusty are the obvious tandem.

Best Poster - M2/RFS62 sharing the award. M2 has the most articulate and accurate grasp of the Reds' big picture of anyone I've ever discussed the game with on this site, and his posts are replete with eye-opening analogies, anecdotes, and wry witticisms. RFS62 is the symbol of all that is right about baseball fandom in my book. Purist, but open to innovation and evolution within the game, and just an extremely thoughtful and grounded individual.

More Is Less: Backbencher says more of substance with an infrequent post than most of us who post frequently manage to convey in a season worth of posts.

Edskin
12-02-2003, 07:27 AM
I think I need to clear something up :)

I know exactly what I'm doing with all my "passion laced" "must win" type of threads:

I KNOW the Reds will stink each year, but as fan, you try to push that out your head. So, I hope for the best.

I always think if we can win X amount games over X amount of time then our record would be X and that would make me happy through Arpil. Then, come May, I do the same thing, hoping they can keep it interesting, another month. If they make it through May.......

It goes on and on.

And you know what? I'm usually right. IF we would have won more of those "must-win" games and IF we would have done better over my imaginary stretches, then we would NOT have made the trades and we WOULD have stayed in the race.

Is it realistic? Absolutely not. You can make a great arguement that even if we survivee one particular stretch, that we'd eventually crash and burn anyway. I actually totally agree. But I just try to grasp onto something to make the fun last as long as it can.

One of these days, when we actually have a decent team, I won't have to do that anymore. It will take care of itself.

But seeing we have no "real" hope thesedays, I try and create it whenever I can. And yes, if a team like the Reds stumbles over a 25 game stretch in May, it could spell the end of their competitivness for the entire season.

And yes, I DO believe that certain single games can affect an entire season. The Mother's Day Massacre two year's ago was a HUGE loss, IMO. Now, would it have REALLY mattered anyway? Probably not. But I do think that changed the forutnes of both teams more quickly than had it not happened.

Basically, I do it simply to generate hope. I know over a 162 game season we are in big trouble. Therefore, I try to condense it and give little stretches more meaning, which in turns make it seem like we're competing for something.

That's all it is. I'm not insasne. Usually.

And BTW, if this doesn't clinch "most long-winded" for me, I don't what would :)

SirFelixCat
12-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Don't have time to go thru them all right now, maybe tonight, but we also need a Best PbP in there as well ;)

TRF
12-02-2003, 09:52 AM
i defy any to prove they have a better sig line than me. :D

princeton
12-02-2003, 11:33 AM
year after year, I seek out all posts by guernsey, M2, 15Fan, ChipR, WoY, gm, Crash Davis, CQ, backbencher and Guacarock-- and now LGJ-- thanks for the entertainment, debate, information

special props to creek, chili, Storm, RFS62, and Footstool, who disagree with nearly everything that I post on, and on, and on about, yet continue to respond not just politely, but amicably. That's too difficult for me--"I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view"

gm
12-02-2003, 12:58 PM
"Most Controversial: gm... When he gets an idea in his head (often good, and ahead of their time) he's not letting it go."

Thanks for noticing. I made an executive decision to "pick up the slack" back when Drew/Hand went bye-bye. Every chat page need a little "edge" IMO, and if you're gonna have a take you might as well sell it hard.

Since my focus from 1998-2003 was to "show JimBo the door" everything's currently rosey for me as a Red's fan (which makes for boring chat, BTW) So now I'm driving the "bring back Pete" bandwagon (with "brooklyn" riding "shotgun") There's no use trying to squash my buzz...:evilgrin:

GIK
12-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Good nominations, everyone...keep them coming. :thumbup:

At the request of sava, we'll stick this one up top for a bit...

BTW, gm, nice sig. :eek: :lol: Rooting for or against the Beavers against USC this weekend?

gm
12-02-2003, 01:13 PM
"Rooting for or against the Beavers against USC this weekend?"

You mean there's a college football game this weekend?

M2
12-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Can we get a sticky on this?

Most Missed Poster - Old Red Guard, I fear he's gone for the saddest possible reason, but I consider us all lucky for the time he spent here. He's still what I want to be when I grow up. At the bottom of this post, I'll include the best thing ever written on this board, courtesy of ORG.

Best Tag Line - Hey TRF, I'll give you a tie with KYRedsFan's Dr. Evil quote.

Best Monicker - Though I don't believe this person has ever posted, I always chuckle whenever I see Poopy is reading the board.

Most Clever - Man, that's a tough one, but I'm going to cast my vote for princeton, who's been having some serious fun with Dan O'Brien's binder. And there was this gem in January, responding to the statement that gm had been the grandfather of the Boone 2B/Larson 3B idea, "I'll back you up, though I note that having ideas isn't the same as having GOOD ideas"

Of course I'd give gm runner up for this award, his response to princeton was "When it comes to GOOD ideas, apparently I'm in "bad" company (JimBo, BoBoone, etc). I never really know how to feel, about that..."

Best Armchair GM - Another tough one, but Red Storm's the person who laid what real investment in the farm system would look like. He also isn't satisfied with the current dynamic of 95% talk, 5% action coming from the front office.

Best Trademeister - Red Heeler, if only the Reds shared his commitment to retooling. Coco Crisp should be a Red.

Best Discussion - It wasn't much of a discussion, but SteelSD skewered MLB's current climate with his PayFlex post. It was nothing short of brilliant. If you're looking for a great thread, try "Introducing the New 2B of the Reds: Aaron Boone" in the archives. Must've been good. It ran in early January and I'm quoting it twice in December.

Funniest - Cast of thousands, but Johnny Footstool gets the nod.

Best Use of Statistics - We ought to retire this one or just call it the WOY Award to give someone else the chance. Quick, clean and incisive ... and never dogmatic.

Most Long-winded - geo j, I tend to believe he's not posting as much these days because of the mental, physical and spiritual rigors required to compose each one of his submissions.

Most Positive - TeamBoone, always rooting for the players on the Reds to do their best, even when the team traded her personal favorite.

Most Negative - malcontent, sometimes it's all in the name. Mind you, mal's not the least bit wrong in being unhappy.

Best Newcomer - We got to see a stellar rookie season thanks to Ravenlord.

Best Outsider - ramp101, 'nuff said.

Most Open-Minded - MWM, not too many people have the courage to think out loud. Never approaches a topic with any agenda other than looking to get at the truth. I've got all kinds of respect for that.

Most Valuable Poster - Thought about it and thought about it and I couldn't decided between Chip R and WOY. They both had immense years. They've always been top notch and in 2003 they both got better.

Best Post Ever - Old Red Guard

Might as well make my jaded commentary on this here thread which could be renamed "The Never Ending Story"

People who don't think we're watching the greatest athletes in baseball history are just wrong - Reds Faithful

Yep. Just about all the players from the 30s wouldn't do squat if they were transplanted into today's game as is. 20 year olds looked about 30, bodies were smaller overall, no one weight trained (Lord forbid that makes you musclebound don't you know). The most popular diet supplement was liquid malt barley in one form or 'nuther. Juiced meant a guy played better drunk, you slept on clanking, rocking, creaking trains and spent weeks on the road, living in pullman's and hotel rooms. Nutritional theory was the more fatty red meat the better and exercise was generally considered only in spring training if you weren't smart enough to get out of it then. If you pulled a muscle or tweaked a hammy you rubbed some homemade balm into it, gritted your teeth, shut your fool mouth and played the game. There was some kid playing out in the cornbelt who was hellbent to take your job and your boss was hellbent to give it to him if you faltered for a second. After all you were making 5 grand a year and he could pay that kid 1200 and a train ticket to do the same thing. You might be better but not if you're hurt - why give the kid any chance at showing his stuff. Keep playing. Sanitation was nonexistent. Well, okay, most guys washed their face once a day and a few bathed more than once a week, but only a few. Uniforms were worn until they could play the game by themselves. Don't tear it either - get a needle and darn it up - if the club has to buy another one for you before midpoint they'd deduct it from your check. Heck that's about 6 bottles of whiskey and a night with a Philly hooker! Players would have made good footballers though with all that weight. Wool uniforms full of sweat and 3 pounds of fermented dirt, heavy leather shoes with razored steel cleats, cotton unders and a patch of leather on your off-ham and you were playing with 20 pounds of itchy, scratchy, buggy, sometimes soggy, baggy mucilaginous fiber clinging to your every move. Compare that to today's featherweight outfits and shoes that weigh 6 ounces! Training equipment consisted of medicine balls, a big field and for pitchers, a wall to throw against. Knocking bottles off posts was a favorite way for kids to practice control, pitching off a concrete stoop and catching the rebounds, tossing at birds or rabbits and hitting rocks as far as you could were other disciplines of rigorous training. Stickball WAS great - it taught incredible bat control and concentration. You try hitting a small ball with a broomstick and see how well you do. Stickball in the streets is overlooked as a way to teach youngsters today. I'm seriuos. That's how I always coached my kids when I was involved in Pony baseball. I'd start out with stickball games and oven mitts for gloves. Bragging now but in twelve years coaching tykes we never once failed to win twice as many as we lost and a ton of my boys made allstar teams every year. Nothing special I did - just the stickball and oven mitts. Catch with an oven mitt and by gosh you WILL use 2 hands. Swing with a broomstick at a little rubber ball half the sizer of a baseball and by the time we played with real bats and balls and gloves the kids hardly missed anything. Easier to straighten out swings when they're hefting a broomstick, too. Helps them select the right weight bat, too. Most kids try to swing way too heavy. Anyway, drifting - back to former athletes.
Today's players are far better athletes. Work regimens are religiously adhered to, scientific principles are utilized, professionals in kinesiology, nutrition, conditioning for specific functions, flexibility, even psychology are employed to help players train. In the 30s and 40s you were too busy at your 2nd job during the offseason to train much. During the season some guys main exercise consisted of bouncin a different Betty in every town you visited and brawling in saloons. There were lots of "good" guys, too, that had families and religion. They loafed around the hotel reading, writing letters and playing cards. Not every player was a hell-raiser but the ripsnorts probably got more exercise viz less sleep. Top it off with the fact that communicable diseases were widespread, nutrition from the cradle to grave was sometimes good but inconsistent. Food followed the economy - lots of people ate thin soup and litle else when times were slow. For lots of kids times was always slow. Then as now the greatest weapon against poverty was hard work but then as now there were lots of folk who ignored that fact. There was no foodstamps, no unemployment checks, no welfare boards to take up the slack for the children. If your parents were unlucky, or bums, or down and out, then you didn't eat much. You spent your hours in the streets, playing stickball, pitching against that stoop, playing burnout with your buddies and breathing, sleeping, dreaming baseball. Then you're 16 and good - you play on a town team or maybe a factory boss pays you 3 bucks a game to play on their team and gives your old man a job to boot. You learn the game the hard way against guys who'll spike you, crash into you, trip you and rag you unmercifully -nothing sacred, mothers not spared. You small and young and facing a hulk of a pitcher who throws 85 ( fast enough back then) and spits tobacco with every pitch. He's dug a rut 6 inches in front of the rubber, too and pitches from there - the umps are scared of him so who's going to stop him? You know you can't pull him so you slap at the ball and poke it into left with a bit of spin - the ball caroms off into foul gorund after striking fair and you run like a jackrabbit, skipping over the first baseman's extended foot, ducking the elbow aimed at your ribs the 2nd sacker points your way and you slide into third with your spikes up and slashing. Not trying to hurt the guy, just keeping him from getting close enough to stomp on you when he sweeps the tag.
A couple years of this and a scout sees you and signs you for a ticket and fifty bucks and sends you to Red Oak, Iowa to play. You're 18 and weigh 140 sopping wet. Your face is drawn and you look 30 by today's standards but everyone in Red Oak calls you Cheeks because they think you have a "babyface". You're scrawny, undernourished, wiry strong but no one today would call you an athlete. Didn't then, either - you are a ballplayer. Big difference. Athletes are born - ballplayers are forged from runny gruel, concrete stoops, bouncing balls, broomsticks and hard knocks. You know all the dirty tricks - better known as essential survival techniques. At 21, you make the show. You do well, you're a 2nd baseman. You get on base any way you can, you holler at the pitcher, you steal when you can but only when its necessary. Go the other way, bunt, squeeze, and you've learned to swing from the heels when the pitcher is predictable. You use whatever you've been given, and you learn everything you can, every nuance possible. You are successful and your twetnies are golden years. Then you're 30. Within 2 or 3 years your career will be over. Your joints hurt, you've lost a couple of steps. You've played through aches and strains, and punished yourself for a decade to fend off the stream of prospects trying to unseat you. And now it happens. You're traded for no one inparticular to a terrible team. You play a couple years, your numbers aren't that bad but thwe little things are gone. You can't steal anymore, triples are doubles and doubles are singles and that kid up from Tuscaloosa that throws 92 just blows it by you. You retire at 33. You are old, ancient by baseball standards. You've never touched a weight set, never taken a vitamin or mineral supplement, never even heard of yoga or yogurt, never had a personal or team trainer, you have the beginnings of gout, and have had chicken pox, measles, mumps, rubella, and a variety of flus during your career. Mostly you played through it all and let your natural vitality cure it. You have a permanently bent finger from the time you broke it on a ball that jammed it, then you taped it, grimaced and played on. You have hammer toe because you played in second hand shoes for all those early years and the toe was too tight. You don't even know its why you couldn't run worth a damn anymore when you were just 30. You were a ballplayer. Now you're 33 and you're nothing. No job, no other skills, no player's association to write you a check. You take a job as a coach. You'll teach the same misguided theories and scoff at new advances in nutrition and training for years, delaying major advances in your sport until the mid to late 60s when rising salaries and advancing knowledge begins to change the way athletes take care of themselves and baseball begins to scout athletes for their potential instead of ballplayers for their skills. The theory is you can teach skills but you can't teach speed or genetics. In the back of my mind, this old man realizes they are right, but I miss the pure ballplayers. The ones who raised hell and tripped guys as they rounded second. The ones who took whatever you gave em and used it against you. When I was a child I watched ordinary men with extraordinary skills playing a game I loved. Today, I watch demi-gods of athleticism with lithe, muscular bodies play my beloved sport. The hope for the everyday joe, who works hard, who hones his skills fanatically, to play at the highest level, is almost gone. Yes, today's athletes are incredible and outclass their counterparts of yesteryear. They are not nearly as much fun to watch or follow.

backbencher
12-02-2003, 01:53 PM
I have a hard time distinguishing between the many posters I enjoy so much. So, with apologies to Harry Blackmun,

It is a century and a quarter since the New York Nine defeated the Knickerbockers 23 to 1 on Hoboken's [407 U.S. 258, 261] Elysian Fields June 19, 1846, with Alexander Jay Cartwright as the instigator and the umpire. The teams were amateur, but the contest marked a significant date in baseball's beginnings. That early game led ultimately to the development of professional baseball and its tightly organized structure.

The Cincinnati Red Stockings came into existence in 1869 upon an outpouring of local pride. With only one Cincinnatian on the payroll, this professional team traveled over 11,000 miles that summer, winning 56 games and tying one. Shortly thereafter, on St. Patrick's Day in 1871, the National Association of Professional Baseball Players was founded and the professional league was born.

The ensuing colorful days are well known. The ardent follower and the student of baseball know of General Abner Doubleday; the formation of the National League in 1876; Chicago's supremacy in the first year's competition under the leadership of Al Spalding and with Cap Anson at third base; the formation of the American Association and then of the Union Association in the 1880's; the introduction of Sunday baseball; interleague warfare with cut-rate admission prices and player raiding; the development of the reserve "clause"; the emergence in 1885 of the Brotherhood of Professional Ball Players, and in 1890 of the Players League; the appearance of the American League, or "junior circuit," in 1901, rising from the minor Western Association; the first World [407 U.S. 258, 262] Series in 1903, disruption in 1904, and the Series' resumption in 1905; the short-lived Federal League on the majors' scene during World War I years; the troublesome and discouraging episode of the 1919 Series; the home run ball; the shifting of franchises; the expansion of the leagues; the installation in 1965 of the major league draft of potential new players; and the formation of the Major League Baseball Players Association in 1966.

Then there are the many names, celebrated for one reason or another, that have sparked the diamond and its environs and that have provided tinder for recaptured thrills, for reminiscence and comparisons, and for conversation and anticipation in-season and off-season: Steve4192, princeton, woy, guernsey, jax, chili, steel, jcooper, redstorm, 15fan, Chip, M2, BCubb, LGJ, RFS62, FCB, PuffyPig, remdog, ramp, Kc, Randy, JohnnyF, Crash, Raisor, Creek and the Teams, Bill, clemson, Biitner, ]sava, Santo. The list seems endless.*

*These are names only from earlier years. By mentioning some, one risks unintended omission of others equally appreciated.

For the original:

Flood v. Kuhn (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=407&invol=258#f3)

TRF
12-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks M2, but i had forgotten the Dr. Evil quote, and defer the title to KYRedsFan. But by god, I'm second.

now for one hundred billion dollars, where did i get my line?

and my nominations are:

Most Clever: Raisor. guy gives me a run for my money in the sarcasm department. Beware Phil, a quick wit is a double edged sword. just ask my wife. :mad:

Most long winded: Redstorm, but i do so enjoy reeding his posts.

Most Valuable Poster: I'll give the nod here to savafan, who singlehandedly kept the board going through sheer force of will, and around 100000 posts in 2 months. ;)

Best Outsider: ramp was great, but MattyMo was here first. Combined with Beergut, we got polite conversation from fans of a division rival. props also to AstroFan, CubFan, and others i am to braindead and lazy to look up.

Man this is a great site.

RFS62
12-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by TRF

now for one hundred billion dollars, where did i get my line?

Why, from the Far Side, of course.

Cha-CHING!!!!!

Woo hoo.... I'm rich!!!!

TRF
12-02-2003, 03:08 PM
newman. ah well... cash or check?

RFS62
12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Most Positive - Team Casey and Team Boone. Unless you cross them. ;)

Most Negative – Redread

Most Missed – Old Red Guard. I loved that guy. Thanks so much, M2, for finding and posting that incredible passage. I agree, it’s the best thing ever posted here.

Most Controversial - Redsfaithful. We don’t agree on much over on the non-baseball forum, but he definitely stirs the pot in his neverending efforts to poke Phoenix, GAC, and a few others with a stick.

Best Moderator – Chip, but hey, I like them all.

Best Use of Stats – WOY, which is tall praise among a pretty smart bunch of sabr-heads we’ve assembled here. Raisor, Cooper, Steel, Chili, Crash, and all the other James devotees deserve a lot of credit for making their case in face of scorn and derision. I admire anyone who truly wants to understand baseball on a higher level, even when they’re wrong. :evilgrin:

Most Clever – BCubb. His Random Thoughts are one of my favorite things around here.

Nicest - MWM. Seems to me like a thoroughly decent man. This one is impossible to narrow down though, as there are so many people here whom I consider friends.

Best Armchair GM – Gotta go with Cincinnati Chili. I sure hope he makes it into a front office someday. A great balanced knowledge of the game and the business of baseball. M2, Princeton and Red Storm would be excellent choices too. And LGJ is impressing everyone with her broad grasp of the game.

Best Outsider - Ramp. The dude was true blue even when it looked like they were a terrible team.

Best Discussion - My personal favorite was the Moneyball discussion we had this summer. I got to test out a lot of my long standing beliefs through those threads.

Most Passionate - Team Prozac... uh, I mean Edskin. If we could only find a way to pry our buddy out of his shell and get him to make a declaration or pronouncement every now and then. Hey, Ed....we kid because we care.

Funniest - Redsland is one seriously funny guy. Kind of a Far Side sense of humor which I love. Biitner Pill can also write some funny stuff when he wants to.

Best Moniker – Spitball and Corked Bat always cracked me up.

Best Historian - RedsBaron. He should teach a class. You make a historical reference of any kind, and he’s on it with excellent research that you can depend on. An incredible resource for the board.

Best Trademeister – The old slobberknocker himself, Krusty

Best Poster - There are so many people here that I search out and read every single thing I can from them. The two guys I find myself agreeing with the most are probably Guernsey and Cincinnati Chili. I love M2, WOY and LGJ for their excellent insight and relentless passion. GAC, Remdog, CQ, Creek, Geo J, Team Clark, BCubb, Team Casey and Team Boone, WVRedsfan, Larkin Fan, GM, FCB, Chip, 15fan, Santo, VR, Randy, Coop, Johnny Footstool, Bucksfan, Roy Tucker, Crash, Raisor, Steel, Spitball, Krusty, Biitner Pill, RedsBaron, MikeS21, Bob B, Edskin, SC Red, Backbencher, RFA66 .... and many more, are all like old friends to me. I love talking baseball and life with all you guys.

But the best poster, IMO, has to be RedStorm. Even when we disagree, I feel like I come away smarter for the discussion. I’ve never encountered anyone with broader grasp of all aspects of the game.

Man, I’m thankful for this site. At times it drives me crazy, but when I look over this thread I think about how many truly outstanding people I’ve met here, and for that I’m very thankful.

:beerme:

cincinnati chili
12-02-2003, 06:03 PM
m2- thanks a million for bringing back that thread from Old Red Guard. At the time, I thought it was so good that it had to be plaigarized. I guess it's not, or someone would have said so by now. An unforgettably vivid and hilarious post.

Raisor
12-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by TRF
Most Clever: Raisor. guy gives me a run for my money in the sarcasm department. Beware Phil, a quick wit is a double edged sword. just ask my wife. :mad:

Damnit, I wanted Best Looking!

SteelSD
12-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Most Missed Poster: SCR? Where art thou? Get back here and I hope things are going well for you and your family.

Nicest Poster: GAC. Heck, anyone who can put up with me has the goods. You'll be the first guy I call up when I make my next trip to Cinci.

Best Trademeister: Bittner. The vast majority of message board "trades" don't make sense. Yet, somehow, BP always ends up making some.

Most Eloquent: M2...no doubt. Even in cases where I might disagree, I marvel at the grammar and syntax. Produces absolutely classic prose and much is tagline-worthy.

Best Discussion: Laura Cover Movie Titles. Folks, if you don't frequent chat during games, you missed out this summer. I'm sure there was a game going on. Yet, this now infamous chat session made everyone forget about it.

Best Newcomer: Ravenlord. Period. I'd expand on that, but I think the reasons are apparent. Exceptionally perceptive, driven, and intelligent.

Most Effort: Savfan. Almost single-handedly driving the board at times this offseason. If no one else has thanked you, please accept my appreciation.

Most Annoying Thread: Adam Dunn sucks version xxx.x. The next version of this thread should just be stickied and Raisor can stop by to post his "If we can all agree that a double is better than a single..." calling card every two or three days.

Poster I'd Like to See More Posts From: Boss Hogg. Articulate and insightful whenever he posts. Best sense of true balance I've seen on the board and adds to any conversation he enters. I'd like to see more, time permitting.

Most Annoying: SteelSD. Hell, he annoys himself. How could he not annoy others. But he'll call 'em like he sees 'em, even though the stat geek does tend to speak about himself in third person.

Best Insult: "Snide cuss"- attributed to backbencher. Makes me laugh and think of old people. I dunno why.

Best Poster: EVERYONE. Communities don't survive in vacuums. Without the folks you don't like, no progress gets made. Even the most intellectual and advanced get into heated debates while furthering their knowledge base. The trick is that, when you come out the other side, shake hands and thank the opponent for the learning produced by the conflict. Otherwise, you're just namecalling.

It may have not been a good year for Reds baseball, but IMHO, it was an exceptional year for Redszone. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to furthering my enjoyment and education.

SteelSD
Snide Cuss

savafan
12-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Okay, here are my nominations:

Most missed poster

creek, without a doubt

Funniest

Wetzel (or Johnny Vander M to the uneducated)

Most Clever

Gotta agree with BCubb

Best Armchair GM

Princeton

Best Trademeister

gonna listen to my heart and nominate Krusty on this one

Best Discussion

The OPS thread. I went into that knowing nothing, and SteelSD and a few others showed me what I wasn't seeing.

Best Use of Statistics

I could easily choose WOY of Steel for this one, but Ravenlord is the only person I know of who has actually invented his own stats so I'm gonna go with him.

Most Positive

TeamBoone and TeamCasey...and for those of you who haven't met them in person with a few drinks in them, let me tell ya, they can get a lot more positive :evilgrin:

Nicest

Tough call, but I'm gonna go with GAC. Again, my personal introduction to him helped influence this a bit, but he also takes the time to answer a lot of questions I have had via e-mail.

Best Moderator

How do you choose? The ones I don't pick might ban me! I'm going to go with CQ and Chip. Again, met them both, and they're both unbelievably nice guys. Chip even gave me a cigar as a bribe for this one day, but I can't leave CQ out. They both respond in a timely fashion to PM's and do an excellent job at keeping trouble from breaking out on the board...something we haven't had to worry about in quite a while thank God!

Best Newcomer

Ravenlord. In a short time, he's made quite an impact on this board. I've been here 3 years longer than he has, and he has almost as many posts as I do! I'd say that at least 80% of his posts serve a good purpose in discussions, which isn't a bad amount when you really think about it.

Best Outsider

Ramp. He was my second choice for best newcomer. Came over to our board from the Marlin board when the Brad Penny trade rumor came out, and he's been here ever since, offering insightful baseball discussion and a passion for his team that I really admire. Also, he went to prom with a really hot chick.

Most Valuable Poster

The two posters that I always read, are LarkinFan and Team Clark. Both don't post as much anymore, but when they do it's always worth taking the time to read. I nominate them both for this award.

Comeback Poster of the Year

Red Storm. Always has been one of my favorite posters, and I missed him during his absence. It's great to see him back posting again.

Backbone of the Board Nominees

Kinda like a lifetime achievement award. I nominate these two guys for their contributions to this board since I've been here. RFS62 and Guernsey. These two definately belong in the Redszone Hall of Fame.

MWM
12-03-2003, 01:19 AM
I just read ORG's post. I guess I didn't read it when it was originally posted, because I certainly would have remembered.

Hands down best thing ever posted on this site or any site I've ever been to. I almost got tears in my eyes. What an amazing person ORG must be. I bet we could all sit and listen to him tell stories all day long.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever read anything from any baseball writer or historian that stirs the baseball passion as much as what ORG wrote above. It's like it came right out of field of dreams. What a vivid picture it created of baseball and it's rich heritage. I'm glad I read it. Thanks for posting it M2.

Redsland
12-03-2003, 01:46 AM
The Aaron Boone Award: savafan - Swings at every topic under the sun, and connects on occasion, too. ;)

The Barry Larkin Award: red-in-la – He pulls the “C” off his uniform from time to time, but he’s a Reds fan through and through.

The Bernie Stowe Award: RFS62 – Wisdom can have a profound effect on those whippersnappers willing to absorb it. Thanks for sharing yours. And no, I’m not about to hand you the keys to a Mercedes. :)

The Bob Boone Award: Krusty – He’ll try anything, when it comes to trades. And that’s meant as a compliment. :thumbup:

The Bob Howsom Award: princeton – I have no doubt you would make an outstanding general manager, and actually crossed my fingers that your name was in the running when we recently had an opening.

The Chris Sabo Award: Ravenlord – Formerly the Rookie of the Year Award. Your posts are prolific without being gratuitous. But where are the goggles?

The Dmitri Young Award: gm – Switch-hitter? Outfielder? Infielder? gm seems to know a bit about everything. That opens him up to occasional jabs to the soft underbelly, but he’s part of every meaningful discussion.

The Eric Davis Award: Red Storm – A Comeback Player of the Year who left for a while, but whose presence always generates excitement.

The Francis Dale Award: REDREAD – Named for the owner who paid for the construction of the Big Red Machine. No one wants the Reds to build a winner more than REDREAD does. Call him negative if you want, but every word he’s written is true.

The John Allen Award: JaxRed – The official keeper of the numbers, but a bit rough in front of the microphone. :) Your site and you insights are invaluable.

The Jose Rijo Award: M2 – Among the very best ever, when he opens his mouth you had better pay attention.

The Marty Brennamen Award: Chip R – Formerly the Best Moderator Award, this one goes to the person most likely to point a finger at posters who aren’t playing right.

The Nuxhall Award: CougarQuest – The ying to Marty’s yang. 15fan was a strong candidate, but I had to throw the tie to the cop. (Karma points and all.) :)

The Pete Harnisch Award: Johnny Footstool – Think naked jumping jacks and Dawn Patrol call-ins. My only gripe is that The Spitter should be a daily. Others getting serious consideration: Chip R, 15fan.

The Pete Rose Award: guernsey – RedsZone’s Post Count King, and I can’t remember a single one that was frivolous or unwelcome.

The Ray Knight Award: Raisor – Hey, cut me some slack; Ray’s defensive charts are the closest nod this organization gives to statistical analysis. ;) They’ve even helped on occasion, too. :) (SteelSD and cincinnati chili also deserve this award.)

The Rick Stowe Award: westofyou – Gives people the tools they need, from raw stats to analysis to insight.

The Rosie Reds Award: TB, TC, Kitty, creek, and letsgojunior – Yes, I know it’s a bit of a cop-out to lump the women together, but I’ve got a theme going here, and I suspect none of you wants to win The Marge Schott Award. ;)

The are others I want to recognize, like Biitner, MWM, remdog, FCB, Santo, Steve4192, MikeS21, ramp, Roy, and on and on and on. Everyone here adds something to RedsZone. I look forward to sharing another year with all of you.

Stormy
12-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Good Lord...

That is the most picturesque and heartfelt stream-of-consciousness account of the life of "the ballplayer" I believe I've ever had the privilege of reading. It's literally saturated with the passion and humanity of the game. Thanks for the re-post, as I have certainly never encountered that gem before. Absolutely beautiful.

Thanks, and well wishes, to ORG, wherever he may be, for sharing that personal perspective.

WVRedsFan
12-03-2003, 01:59 AM
Man, isn't it December? I mean, it's over two months until Spring Training and we all have the baseball on our minds. I love it!

Many thanks to Red Storm and RFS62 for mentioning me in their posts and a big thanks to Boss and the whole gang. I don't what I did without RedsZone before it existed. Believe it or not, I enjoy everyone's posts because you are all Reds fans and the Reds have been part of my life since before birth. Thanks to all of you. I have a few nominations...

Most Positive - If TeamBoone doesn
t win this one there is no justice. I wish I could be that "glass half full." Bravo

Most Negative - All of us at times. I may rank in the Top 10 this year. I'm reformed, however, and look forward to 2004.

Most Missed - Red Storm this year. His posts are much anticipated and his comments in game threads are priceless. Honorable mention to Team Clark. And Creek lately. Where are you?

Best Mod - CougarQuest - Level headed and fair, he must be a good cop.

Best use of stats - Without a doubt RFS62. He always makes sense.

Best Outsider - Tie between MattyMo and Ramp. Both guys are class acts who come on here and do not talk smack. I respect that.

Best Discussion - Was it this year we discussed if Jesus would drive an SUV? If so, that was just the best. In fact, I copied it to my hard drive. Brilliant.

Funniest - BCubb hands down.

Best moniker - Falls City Beer. Reminds me of too many nights in college when that was all I could afford. That and Black Label.

Best Poster - Wow! RedStorm, of course and RFS62, but there are many others who brighten my day. The knowledge on this board amazes me. So many times, you have led me to change my mind and be more sensible. You are the best!

savafan
12-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Redsland
The Aaron Boone Award: savafan - Swings at every topic under the sun, and connects on occasion, too. ;)

Please don't tell me that you're trading me to a Yankees message board.

KronoRed
12-03-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by savafan

We were but they tried to force us to take Weaver so we said no deal. :D

Redsland
12-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by savafan
:laugh:

You'll be a Reds as long as I'm the G.M.

;)

princeton
12-03-2003, 10:41 AM
you do that vote of confidence thing very well. Consider a future as a slimy administrator

bucksfan
12-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Most missed poster
creek lately

Best tag line

new entry for me here - SteelSD's "snide cuss" ;)

Best Moniker
I always liked ForLoveOfTheGame. Crash Davis is good too.

Most Valuable Poster

To me the woy and guernsey types really add a stable and vital presence to this board as informational sources. Everyone else shares inthsi one for their contributions, because without the conglomerate that is Redszone, this board is just another board (which it most decidedly is not!)

Most Clever

Johnny, Redsland

Best Armchair GM
princeton, Red Storm, chili

Best Trademeister

Krusty - not because I agree with them, but he does them and I enjoy the spirit of his proposals if not always the content.

Best Discussion
several - I learn probably the most from the sabre-oriented discussions, but am entertained by many others.

Funniest

Redsland

Best Use of Statistics

chili, woy, and SteelSD (makes me think a bit differently though I don't always agree)

Most Long-winded
Edskin. Can even be me when I actually do post something I've thought about for a while!

Most Positive

the Teamsters.

Most Negative
rila

Nicest

62, Team Casey, Roy Tucker, host of others

Best Moderator

Chip - only 'cause I met him once ;) - I'm sure you're all fantastic!

Best Chatter

I don't do the chat room thing - not that there's anything wrong with that!!

Most Off-Topic
sava - you can have this one! :D

Best Newcomer
Ravenlord - always interesting, courteous, and some new perspectives, especailly outside the baseball forum.

Best Outsider

ramp - I really enjoy ramp and how he enjoys his team. Plus he's as objective as I could ever hope any fan passionate about his team could be.

gm
12-03-2003, 12:22 PM
"The Dmitri Young Award: gm – Switch-hitter?"

I prefer the terms "confused ambidextral" and "Jack of all trades, master of screwing up anything"

But you hit pretty close to the mark, Redsland. Still I'm wondering...what do you know about my underbelly?

Spring~Fields
12-03-2003, 03:04 PM
What's up with this, no Mr. Nasty, Mr. Rude, Biggest Jerk, Most Ignored awards?
http://messenger.msn.com/Resource/emoticons/cry_smile.gif

You know that Dunn and Griffey really stink up the joint! http://messenger.msn.com/Resource/emoticons/73_73.gif

Chip R
12-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by SpringfieldFan
What's up with this, no Mr. Nasty, Mr. Rude, Biggest Jerk, Most Ignored awards? :( We don't want you hogging all the glory. ;)

MWM
12-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Most missed poster

Nobody has mentioned guernsey. He's rarely 'round these parts anymore. I, for one, miss him. I know he had been a little frustrated with the level of negativity around the end of the season. I sure hope he rejoins the ranks at full strength because this board is a better forum when he's around.

Funniest

Biitner Pill, BCUBB, and Redsland. I have a good sense of humor, but I've never been very funny. I've always been envious of people who can come up with things like these three. Keep it comin'.

Most Clever

It's difficult to distinguish funny from clever. I think the three I mentioned above in the funny category could also be included here. But for the integrity of these awards, I will nominate Chip and Raisor. Both very clever.

Phil, I was going to vote for you for best looking, but then you had to go post that picture. Bad timing. :evilgrin:

Best Armchair GM

This is one of the toughest calls. We have several here who qualify. If I had to vote for one, it would be cincinnati chili. He brings such a broad perspective to the table. I don't think there's anything he doesn't seem to have a strong grasp upon. He understands sabermetrics as well as anyone, yet he also understands the non-statistical and business side of running a franchise.

Finishing a close second are Red Storm, M2, and princeton. All bring great ideas and have great vision. I'd actually love to see M2 become the CEO of the Cincinnati Reds.

Best Trademeister

I'll go with quantity over quality here and stay with concensus - Kruster.

Best Discussion

I'll agree with RFS62 and say the discussion on Moneyball. If nothing else, the publicity the book received opened up a dialogue and gave a little more credibility to the sabermetric movement.

Best Use of Statistics

This is an easy one nd it looks like a near unanimous vote. WOY doesn't just post lot of stats, he makes a point with them. You rarely see anyone disputing what he's saying either because he lets the stats speak for themselves.

SteelSD deserves mention here. He really understands statistics a deeper level than most people I know.

Most Positive

TeamBoone and TeamCasey. I wish I had it in me, but I don't.

Nicest

cincinnati chili and RFs62 are in a dead heat for this one. Both seem like genuinely great people.

chili is always repsecful of everyone. I've never seen him move to the dark side of personal insults. I've never seen him "raise his voice" to anyone, yet he contributes to heated discussions with rationality and intelligence on both the baseball and non-BB forums. He can speak to people on both sides of an issue as well as anyone I've seen here.

I could the same things about RFS62. I think he's widely considered the RedsZone ambassador of goodwill. If there's anyone who could bring peace to a heated discussion or argument, it's RFS62.

Best Moderator

All of 'em. Some are more visible than others, but I have no doubt they all contribute in a significat way to the success of this board.

I don't think we show our appreciation enough to those whose efforts allow us to enjoy the land of RedsZone. Thanks guys!

Rookie of the Year

This is another easy one. Ravenlord by a long shot. It's amazing how much he's grown in his short time here. the scary thing is he's only 19 years old. By the time he's my age, he might be the next Rob Neyer. He hungers and thirsts for knowledge and understanding of this game and has the humility to know that others can help.

Best Outsider

Ramp101. Congrats ramp!

Most Valuable Poster

guernsey. Even though he's been somewhat absent of late, over the course of the year he's been the MVP.

Comeback Poster of the Year

I'll go with the concensus again with Red Storm. I can't really add much to what's been said already. I was actually going to wrte exactly what RFS62 said. I always feel like I'm smarter for having read what Red Storm posts. Plus, he has the gift of exaplining so clearly what I am thinking. I have loads of respect for Stormy and hope he continues his contributions.

Best Tag Line

Raisor at one point had his paypal account number and asked that we all pay him. I thought that was pretty funny.

Best Moniker

MWM for it's creativity. :evilgrin:

Most Long-Winded

GAC over on the non-BB board. Yes, even over Edskin.

Most Negative

REDREAD by 12 lengths.

Most Under-Rated Poster

I don't know how under-rated she is, but LGJ is a great poster who doesn't get the recongnition she deserves. She has a great ability to sift through the chaff to get at the wheat of any discussion. That's a common trait of highly successfule people.

Most Eloquent

Falls City Beer, with special mention to M2 and Red Storm. I love FCB's posts and wish he would post more often. He has a wonderful working knowledge of the english language and a unique outlook on baseball and life in general. He's clever and intelligent and isn't afraid to rock the boat. For a brief moment, he even crossed the line and had a few positive things to say about the REds changes in 2003. Didn't last long, but it was nice to see.

Most Tired Topic

I'll go with Steel on this one and say the Adam Dunn can't hit topic.

Best One-Liner

"Foli would give the go sign to his daughter's prom date." -- KYRedsFan

Best Poster

I'm not going to distinguish here. I don't know who the best is, but I do know who my favorites are. These are the ones who I make a point to read everything they post: M2, woy, Red Storm, RFS62, Coop, Steel, Ravenlord, LGJ, guernsey, 15Fan, Biitenr Pill, CQ, Johnny Footstool, Roy Tucker, bucksfan, FCB, Chip, RedsBaron, backbencher, D-Man (not around very often but incredibly insightful), Crash Davis, Dr. Scott (where are you?).

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting and i apologize.

I'll echo the sentiments of my good friend RFS62. I love this site. I really believe the time I spend here adds value to the enjoyment of my life. Thanks to all for making this board special.

wheels
12-03-2003, 04:24 PM
I couldn't possibly make out a list because i wouldn't want to leave anyone out.

You're all a pretty okay bunch.

REDJAKE
12-03-2003, 06:51 PM
GUERNSEY...... MAKES IT EASY FOR THOSE WHO CARE TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT'S HAPPENING DOWN ON THE FARM.

VR
12-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Most missed poster

Redstorm. When not posting regularly, Redszone is a lesser site without him.
I also miss seeing Boss post more on baseball stuff. Just hangs around wielding the mod stick nowadays!

Most Valuable Poster

Depending on criteria, my vote goes to guernsey. I think some writers send him their articles before they post em on the net. Always has some great info to start any discussion.
M2, Steel, woy always have good insight.
I really like 66's stuff on the non baseball side.

Most Clever

Wherefore art thou RedRoser?

Best Armchair GM
M2, gm, Redstorm.

Best Discussion
cincinnati chili and lgj get my vote. Bring the love of the game, the understanding and knowledge of the business, and unwavering objectivity to all discussions. Never out to make themselves look better or smarter than others.

Funniest
BCubb rocks. '62's stream of one liners is uncanny.

Best Use of Statistics

woy. Anyone who incorporates such a plethora of sarcasm into the matrix of SABR stats gets the nod.

Most Positive
TB. Downright passionate about that positivity too!
(honorable mention to rila for March-May 2003)

Most Negative
DelaHozer. His negativity still lives on ;)
(dishonorable mention to rila June-Oct 2003 :))

Nicest

lgj, '62, Randy, SC, TC, Larkin fan, Sava, Bob Borkowski. (just stay on their good side ;))

Best Moderator

Chip. Gotta stick up for the Iowa boy. :thumbup:

Best Chatter

GAC, on work nights. ;) (read...no liquids :))

Best Outsider

ramp. Relatively little gloating from the phish phan. A true baseball fan who adds a lot to this site

Raisor
12-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by MWM
Phil, I was going to vote for you for best looking, but then you had to go post that picture. Bad timing. :evilgrin:

oh, for the love of pete! I knew I should have waited!

[B]Best Tag Line

Raisor at one point had his paypal account number and asked that we all pay him. I thought that was pretty funny.

That reminds me. As of this date, the send Raisor to Vegas fund has netted: $0.00.

Come on folks, we need to do better then that!

:evilgrin:

ramp101
12-04-2003, 12:03 AM
Best Outsider Ramp. Also, he went to prom with a really hot chick.
that reason alone is good enough :thumbup:

thanks for the props guys.... now its time i show my true colors and gloat :evilgrin:

VR
12-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by ramp101
that reason alone is good enough :thumbup:

thanks for the props guys.... now its time i show my true colors and gloat :evilgrin:

Easy pal. You can easily be replaced by MattyMo at any time :laugh:

Doc. Scott
12-04-2003, 08:49 AM
By the way, I'm still here. I'm actually working on my updated Trade Scorecard, once O'Brien gets off his O'Butt and DOES SOMETHING.

savafan
12-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Worst Typist Award

I hadn't decided on this one yet, but now I give it to moondog.

Hap
12-04-2003, 08:42 PM
I was not mentioned at all in this thread. I know I am not very well-known or well-remembered as a poster, but shouldn't I get some credit for starting the infamous "Marty Picking His Nose" Thread?

savafan
12-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Hap
shouldn't I get some credit for starting the infamous "Marty Picking His Nose" Thread?

HAHAHA that was a classic!

bucksfan
12-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Hap
I was not mentioned at all in this thread. I know I am not very well-known or well-remembered as a poster, but shouldn't I get some credit for starting the infamous "Marty Picking His Nose" Thread?

Yes, indeed you should! :lol:

Spring~Fields
12-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Hap

Are you a registered democrat? :lol: If so it was probably just an oversight. ;)

GAC
12-06-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by SteelSD
Nicest Poster: GAC. Heck, anyone who can put up with me has the goods. You'll be the first guy I call up when I make my next trip to Cinci.

Still trying to worm your way into my good graces for those 1960's X-Men comics huh?

CRAWL BABY!.... CRAWL!

:evilgrin:

GAC
12-06-2003, 09:23 AM
I humbly believe in self promotion.

VOTE GAC! :roll:

Spring~Fields
12-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by GAC
I humbly believe in self promotion.

VOTE GAC! :roll:

Best Browns analyst - GAC :lol:
Best Bengals analyst - Terry :thumbup:

SirFelixCat
12-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Hell, if GAC can self-promote...I'd like some love for all the pbp I do in chat for you non-Extra Innings Folk!!!:laugh:

SteelSD
12-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Still trying to worm your way into my good graces for those 1960's X-Men comics huh?

Would crawling, my Rob Dibble autographed hat, my Sean Casey game worn jersey card, and a couple hundred bucks be defined as "worming"?

If so, color me segmented.:evilgrin:

RedsBaron
12-06-2003, 07:17 PM
I hadn't even intended to post on this thread. I'm a slow typist and I couldn't begin to list all of the posters whom I've enjoyed reading......but then I read M2's post containing the almost lyrical post of Old Red Guard about ballplayers from decades ago. Thank you so much M2 for re-posting that. I always enjoyed ORG's posts. I'm surprised I missed that post the first time. The writing quality was much better than many works which have been published. I miss ORG.
I won't try to make any award nominations, but I will mention a few of the posters I always try to read. Redstorm posts are more in-depth and thoughtful than any sportswriter I have ever read; he has calling higher than that of a lawyer. WOY and SteelSD have a marvelous grasp of statistical baseball analysis-I never try to debate them, but I do enjoy reading them. I like my fellow West Virginians, Randy in Charlotte NC (my own real name is Randy) and WVFan. RFS62 has a broad range of knowledge and just seems to be a great all around person. Larkin Fan doesn't post as much and I miss him-he and another favorite poster, Bob Borkowski, have helped push our song thread past 7000. I enjoy Ravenlord, Team Casey, M2, Chip R. GAC usually makes me laugh, and he and Phoenix can be counted on to keep debates going with RedsFaithful and Rojo, whom I also usually read, even though I usually disagree with them on the non-baseball side of this forum. My wife can't understand why I spend so much time here, but accessing RedsZone is one of the first things I do in the morning and one of the last things at night.

Ravenlord
12-07-2003, 03:25 AM
Most missed poster
I miss Larkin Fan and Creek.:(

Best tag line
letsgojunior.:lol:

Best Moniker
poopy.:)

Most Valuable Poster
guernsey or westofyou.

Most Clever
Bcubb.:roll:

Best Armchair GM
princeton or M2 or cincinnati chili…

Best Trademeister
Krusty.:D

Best Discussion
The OPS thread because of the comparison of Juan Pierre and Jose Cruz Jr.

Worst Typist
Usually me. I never feel like I’m explaining things as clear as I should be.

Funniest
Johnny Footstool.:laugh:

Best Use of Statistics
The people who changed my mind from an AVG and HR and SB being the best offensive stats when I first came over here: SteelSD, Raisor, westofyou, cincinnati chili, MWM, M2, Johnny Footstool, princeton, and others who I am regretfully forgetting.

Most Long-winded
Edskin.:)

Most Positive
what’s that? Oh yeah, that thing on the Cubs and Royals boards…I’ll have to say TeamBoone.

Most Negative
REDREAD. :)

Best Use of an Emoticon
savafan.

Nicest
MWM and GAC.

Best Moderator
Chip or CougarQuest.

Best Chatter
Hmmmm…….hmmmm….my limited chat experience says a tie between GAC and SteelSD.

Best Newcomer
KronoRed, Missionhockey21, or SYCMiniBus:thumbup:

Best Outsider
Ramp.:thumbup:

Most Controversial
Based on his stuff from the non-baseball side: Redsfaithful.

Most Underrated Poster
MWM, Kc61, macro, and Guacarock

Best Looking Male
Raisor

Best Looking Female
LadyRaven

Master of the Metal
Ravenlord.:rockon:

Raisor
12-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Ravenlord
[Best Looking Male
Raisor

Damn right!

:hat:

creek14
12-07-2003, 04:17 PM
I just got around to reading this thread. I didn't know I was gone, but thanks for missing me. I've been working way too much. Some days when I get home I'm too tired to turn on the computer, much less actually read. And sadly, no unclass computer access where I work, so I am no longer get paid for surfing the Zone.

So when I go missing again, remember, I am just working (or I have run off with Adam Dunn).

I'm going to have to do some thinking about my votes, but I can cast one right now.

Best Looking Male
Raisor

And since I just looked at the latest addition to the photo gallery, just a little note to Phil - she isn't all that, you'll end up doing much, much better (prettier and a Reds fan).

Phhhl
12-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Best game-time Chat buddies:
SC and GAC

Best "Smark":
SteelSD

Most Articulate:
Redstorm

Best Dragons Fan:
Kitty

Most Creative:
Krusty

Most "Invisible":
Santo Alcala :(

Biggest Bengal Fan at Redszone:
Traderumor

Most Curious:
Ramp

Most Nostalgic:
Chip

Raisor
12-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by creek14
Best Looking Male
Raisor

Damn right.

:hat:

And since I just looked at the latest addition to the photo gallery, just a little note to Phil - she isn't all that, you'll end up doing much, much better (prettier and a Reds fan).

I found out today that she's NOT a Braves fan. It's worse then that. She's a Rangers fan. She is evil and must be stopped!

:alien:

RFS62
12-08-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Raisor

I found out today that she's NOT a Braves fan. It's worse then that. She's a Rangers fan. She is evil and must be stopped!

:alien:

Phil,

Being a Rangers fan is punishment enough in and of itself. Plus, she is now deprived of your "Philness".

Don't give her any power over your moods. She had her chance, and she chose a shallow pretty boy over the MAN we all know and respect.

She flunked the IQ test. It would have been doomed to failure. Lick your wounds, and go on to greener pastures. Your woman is still out there, undiscovered, and waiting for you.

TeamCasey
12-08-2003, 06:28 AM
I didn't put together awards this year. (Accidentally insulted someone last year .... ooops).

I have been thinking about posters that we don't see much anymore.

Much missed - TC the imposter, LF, MDRed, Old Red Gaurd, Santo, Boss, AllOverJr and Red Roser. Who else am I missing?

GAC
12-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by SteelSD
Would crawling, my Rob Dibble autographed hat, my Sean Casey game worn jersey card, and a couple hundred bucks be defined as "worming"?

If so, color me segmented.:evilgrin:

Honda goes on Holiday shutdown beginning the 22nd and until Jan 5th (and it's all paid :thumbup: ). I'll have time then to pull the boxes down and go through them. I was up there the other day getting the Christmas tree down, but didn't have the time to grab the boxes.

They've been working us 7 days a week the last few months.

I'll try to scan some of what I have and send them to you.

letsgojunior
12-08-2003, 09:30 AM
I just realized that my awards were incomplete.

Redszone Sex Symbol - Raisor

Phil, you need to take control of this situation here. Don't let Katie drag you around like you are her doll. Asking you to tag along on her date is totally out of line IMO, especially after you just sat there and laid your heart out to her.

You need to forget her (I know, much easier said than done), and focus on a new chick.