PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys prepare for a draft?

TeamCasey
03-09-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm home sick. The whole household got it. I just heard from the Sarasota bound Teamsters who are all sick. (I can't imagine driving for 2 days feeling like I do.)

Anyway, I thought I might do some homework in between naps. Any helpful hints? Shall I just wing it like I normally do? :)

savafan
03-09-2004, 01:53 PM
I buy a draft magazine at the grocery store every year, like Athlon's, Street and Smith's, something along those lines. I don't read it cover to cover, but I skim it to see who are sleepers and darkhorses.

Ryan the Reds Fan
03-09-2004, 01:55 PM
I usually buy 3 or so mags, read most of them, and get a good idea of where players are going in drafts. I also like to surf the net, like ESPN's fantasy listings and others to check how they rank players. It is always a good tool to have an idea of how your opponents are thinking on draft day so you can draft accordingly. Good Luck!

Red Leader
03-09-2004, 02:00 PM
I usually look at ESPN.com's fantasy rankings by postion. I print off those lists. I then adjust to personal preference and league settings (categories that are emphasized, etc) and come up with a new list. I then use rotoworld.com for player updates to see who is coming off surgeries, or has spring injuries etc and move them up or down on my list accordingly. On draft day I have my rankings in front of me and draft off of those.

Sabo Fan
03-09-2004, 02:04 PM
I don't really use any draft publications. I get Sports Weekly, but I've usually already drafted all my teams by the time their draft issue comes out.

I read ESPN and TSN everyday, and I check to see if there are any players that I might have missed that they list as sleepers or busts. Usually I stay away from their rankings simply because they're based on different statistical categories and scoring systems, so they may not be as accurate as I'd like. I do take a look, but I think if you're a semi-educated baseball fan you have a pretty good idea of who you want and about what round they'll go in.

I think it's oftentimes difficult to really prepare for a draft the way some people like to. How I draft has a lot to do with how other teams are drafting. You can't predict a run on starters or a run on outfielders, so I usually just play it by ear.

savafan
03-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Sabo Fan

I think it's oftentimes difficult to really prepare for a draft the way some people like to. How I draft has a lot to do with how other teams are drafting. You can't predict a run on starters or a run on outfielders, so I usually just play it by ear.

Good point. Once you see the catchers starting to go, it's a good time to grab one right then.

Phoenix
03-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by savafan
Good point. Once you see the catchers starting to go, it's a good time to grab one right then.

I disagree. Always go the guy with the most talent. Just be satisfied getting some back-up catcher- this position isn't going to be the real difference-maker.

Sabo Fan
03-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix
I disagree. Always go the guy with the most talent. Just be satisfied getting some back-up catcher- this position isn't going to be the real difference-maker.

We're not talking about catchers specifically, it's just an example.

I agree with you to a point. There are times when I take the best player available no matter what position the other teams seem to be focusing on. For example, I'm not real fond of top-notch closers simply because I think you can scour the waiver wire and pick up some saves from guys who at the beginning of the season weren't viewed as having a chance to close. That way you don't use a high pick on a closer and can use it for something else.

However, when I see that the previous five picks have been pitchers, you can bet I'm going to take one to make sure I'm not left with the Albie Lopez's and Kevin Appier's of the world.

Phoenix
03-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Sabo Fan
We're not talking about catchers specifically, it's just an example.

I agree with you to a point. There are times when I take the best player available no matter what position the other teams seem to be focusing on. For example, I'm not real fond of top-notch closers simply because I think you can scour the waiver wire and pick up some saves from guys who at the beginning of the season weren't viewed as having a chance to close. That way you don't use a high pick on a closer and can use it for something else.

However, when I see that the previous five picks have been pitchers, you can bet I'm going to take one to make sure I'm not left with the Albie Lopez's and Kevin Appier's of the world.

Why not go for the best closers? They can effect all the major 5 stats- including vulturing a few wins. Plus there is a big drop off after the elites- Gagne, Smoltz, Wagner...

Red Leader
03-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix
Why not go for the best closers? They can effect all the major 5 stats- including vulturing a few wins. Plus there is a big drop off after the elites- Gagne, Smoltz, Wagner...

Personal preference, I'm sure. Some guys like to load up on the 35Hr/ 110 RBI guarantees in the early rounds. If you take one of those closers, you are guaranteed to lose 1 of those type of hitters. Closers are easier to replace than big time hitters, IMO.

savafan
03-09-2004, 04:02 PM
I usually target hitting in drafts, because there are always pitchers who come from nowhere to surprise throughout the year available on the waiver wire or free agency.

Sabo Fan
03-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Red Leader
Personal preference, I'm sure. Some guys like to load up on the 35Hr/ 110 RBI guarantees in the early rounds. If you take one of those closers, you are guaranteed to lose 1 of those type of hitters. Closers are easier to replace than big time hitters, IMO.

I usually target hitting in drafts, because there are always pitchers who come from nowhere to surprise throughout the year available on the waiver wire or free agency.

This is how I look at it. There are always guys you can pick up for nothing after the season starts that are going to earn you some saves. Last year I picked up Mike MacDougall, Mike DeJean, and a couple others and did fairly well in the pitching categories, it was my hitting that did me in. It's much easier to find a couple 25 save guys than it is to find a 35-homer guy.

Johnny Footstool
03-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I'll create lists of my top picks at each position, then I'll base my picks on how the first three or four rounds of the draft unfold.

Red Flash
03-09-2004, 06:40 PM
I join yahoo leagues and treat their drafts as mock drafts to help me to prepare for the cbs sportsline league that I pay for. I also use street and smith and sports weekly as guidelines.

a side note-I do pay attention to the yahoo leagues that I join. sportsline is just my main league