PDA

View Full Version : Trade I'm contemplating

Red Leader
03-26-2004, 10:23 AM
My current 2nd baseman is Junior Spivey and I'm trying to upgrade there. I need to add speed to my team without losing a lot in SLG%.

Here is my offense:

C: Posada
1B: Helton
2B: Spivey
SS: Jeter
3B: Blalock
MI: A. Cintron
CI: M. Cabrera
OF: G. Sheffield
OF: B. Giles
OF: L. Gonzalez
OF: M. Bradley
UTIL: G. Jenkins
UTIL: E. Martinez

I was thinking of doing 1 of the following 2 trades:

Trade 1: I trade Luis Gonzalez and Edgar Martinez for Chipper Jones and Jose Reyes (who will be eligible at 2B after 15 games)

Trade 2: I trade Luis Gonzalez and Edgar Martinez and get Austin Kearns and Jose Reyes.

I don't know if the owner will do trade 1, but they might do trade #2. Should I do that if they are willing. I'll have to keep Spivey at 2B for the first 15 games, but after that I can cut him and pick up Marlon Byrd, Jay Gibbons, Brad Wilkerson or Melvin Mora.

EmtyRedsFan
03-26-2004, 11:08 AM
I dont know if I would do trade #2 either.

I mean you would be giving up 2 guys that both will hit .300 25 hr and lets say 90 - 100 RBI's each. Both stay pretty healthy

Kearns of course will probably bat .300 20+ hr and around 80-90 RBI's IMO If he can stay healthy (hasnt yet)

Reyes is the problem. Hasnt played enough to really know if he would be able to adjust to the SP. I think you would be losing a ton of offense to add lets say 25 steals. Unless SB is your big problem and the rest of your offense is good.

Johnny Footstool
03-26-2004, 11:08 AM
You're giving up a lot of talent, and Jose Reyes is really a gamble. I think Trade #1 is fairly balanced, while Trade #2 is pretty much a longshot for you.

buckeyenut
03-29-2004, 09:08 AM
I disagree. In both of these trades, you are giving up two players who are approaching the drop off age. Both have been great to date, but at their advanced age, I would strongly urge taking the risk.

I would obviously do the first one, and personally, I would take the risk on the second one although I would ask for a little more in that deal.

Red Leader
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Here is my offense:

C: Posada
1B: Helton
2B: Spivey
SS: Jeter
3B: Blalock
MI: A. Cintron
CI: M. Cabrera
OF: G. Sheffield
OF: B. Giles
OF: L. Gonzalez
OF: M. Bradley
UTIL: G. Jenkins
UTIL: E. Martinez

If you had this team, would you feel that you HAD to make a move to try and make your team less resistant to injury? I mean Sheffield has the thumb issue, that could cause him to have surgery and miss the season, Gonzalez has a partially torn elbow ligament that could cause him to miss the season, and Edgar always seems to get injured and make a trip to the DL, not to mention that he sits when playing against the NL.

One deal I might be able to make would be Edgar Martinez for OF Corey Patterson. Not sure how well Patterson has recovered, but I expect him to put up decent numbers, say 18-20 HR, 75-90 RBI, and about 15-20 SB's. Would it be worth giving up Edgar for a player like Patterson, who is also an injury risk. Patterson seemed to be on the road to a big breakout season last year before his injuries hit, and he is slated to hit right in front of Sosa this year. Thoughts?

EmtyRedsFan
03-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Patterson would be a good addition no doubt... I would definatly go for him

Red Leader
03-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks, Emty. What about DH Edgar Martinez for OF Rocco Baldelli straight up? Would that be a good trade for me, too, in your opinion?

EmtyRedsFan
03-29-2004, 04:47 PM
by the looks of your team you need speed seriously... If I were you I would go after say:

Baldelli
Patterson
Podsednik
Damon (sure many think he is over-rated as a player but he is going to score a ton of runs and steal bases)
Crawford

But hey what do I know? im just some punk kid ;)

Red Leader
03-29-2004, 04:56 PM
The guy that I'm talking trade with has Baldelli, Crawford, and Patterson, so he has speed to burn. He also has R. Alomar, A. Berroa, and Rolen, C. Guzman, and Koskie who all had more than 10 SB's last year. I've tried to get him to go for:
SP Joel Pineiro and DH Edgar Martinez for OF Rocco Baldelli and SP Wade Miller. He's still thinking about that one. I'm trying to ditch one of my Mariners starters ( I have Moyer, Pineiro and Garcia). I think I like Baldelli or Patterson the most because they are going to hit for the most power...

EmtyRedsFan
03-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Keep Pinero and Moyer.... Try to deal Garcia first

EmtyRedsFan
03-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Dont forget to think over the deal I offered you in my league. Its still on the table.

Red Leader
03-29-2004, 05:08 PM
But every report I've read this spring has said that Freddy is having an incredible spring training and that he looks great. They said that he is in better shape this year than in any year in the past and his stuff has never been better. He also is playing for a new contract this year and has struggled the last couple of years, so I'm not all that likely to get much in return for him...Pineiro on the other hand has more "value" to other fantasy leaguers and he has struggled some this spring. I'd like to move Moyer over both because of his low K numbers, but can't get anything close to what his value is because of his low K's.

EmtyRedsFan
03-29-2004, 05:32 PM
How about trying to move Moyer for C.C. Sabathia, Tim Wakefield, Brandon Webb or Kelvim Escobar

Red Leader
03-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Already tried Webb and no dice. I'd rather keep Moyer over the others. Moyer will still get me 15-20 wins this year with a nice ERA and WHIP. I have Mussina, Garcia, Pineiro, B. Myers, and E. Milton who should have 150 K's each. In my bullpen I have Dotel, A. Rhodes, and Benitez, who should get 85-100 K's each. Maybe I'm not in such bad shape for K's as I thought, although I still don't like having 3 Mariners starters and 2 Philly starters.