PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick 1 of these pitchers, who would it be?

Red Leader
04-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Option 1:

Eric Milton, SP, PHI. Coming off knee injury from last spring training, Milton signed with the Phillies this offseason. He is always good in the WHIP category, ERA usually in the mid 4's. Not sure what to project for W's, L's, but he should get good run support from the Phillies lineup, also not sure what to project for K's, if I had to guess I'd say 145-160 for the season.

Option 2:

Adam Eaton, SP, SD. Two years removed from TJ surgery, Eaton is looking to put it all together. Like Milton he has good stuff and would offer more in the K dept than Milton. ERA also could be in the mid 4's. Not sure what to project for W-L's, but he also should get decent run support from a revitalized Padres lineup.

Who would be your pick if you could only have 1 of these guys?

Sabo Fan
04-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Eaton. We know what Milton can do and what his ceiling is, but with Eaton it's a case where he's getting better. I think Milton has tapped out his potential, which isn't to say he's bad, but Eaton has higher upside.

Red Leader
04-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Sabo. I currently have Milton and if I had to guess projections on him this year I'd say he'd probably go: 13-11 4.20 ERA, 0 CG, 25 HR allowed, 155K, 1.21 WHIP.

For Eaton I'd say: 12-12 4.10 ERA, 1CG, 20 HR allowed, 175K, 1.30 WHIP

But like you said, we don't know how good Eaton could be. I wasn't sure if Milton had hit his "ceiling" as well, if he has, then the choice is obvious. They are both playing in new ballparks, and I'm thinking that PetCo is more of a pitchers park than the Phillies new park. That also might favor Eaton. The one downside to Eaton is that he will start more games in Colorado and Arizona, which are hitters parks, but it seems that the team in general are weaker in the NL West. Does it sound like I'm waivering between the two as much as I am?? LOL. I could go on. I think Milton has the better bullpen, so games that he is winning the lead should be held more than Eaton, but Eaton is fully recovered from injury, where Milton might have some knee problems still ailing him...he's had to alter his delivery to not apply as much pressure on his knee. So, you think I should drop Milton and pick up Eaton, huh?

What about Kyle Lohse. He was dropped in my league as well. Do you think he is a better pickup than either of these two??

Sabo Fan
04-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I'd pick up Eaton.

As far as Lohse, I don't have the foggiest as to what he'll do. He has great stuff but his numbers don't necessarily reflect it. Highest upside in my estimation of the three guys you're considering, but also probably the biggest risk. I'd still go with Eaton.

Ender
04-05-2004, 09:07 PM
*throws mud into water* I'd take a chance on Lohse. His WHiP has dropped each year, so his ERA has to follow along sooner or later. :p