PDA

View Full Version : We Need to Draft Stephen Drew

Oxilon
04-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Our MIF situation has become much worse than our starting pitching situation. We have a surplus of pretty good pitchers in the minors now, with the likes of Bong, Belisle, Moseley, Claussen, Nelson, and that's just the pitchers that are higher up in the farm system.

But our MIF situation is pitiful. We currently have a 40 year old starting for us at short, and the heir replacement(s) are Juan Castro clones waiting to happen, except with a more unconsistent glove(s).

Come June and the MLB Amateur Draft, some, no many, say we need to draft a SP. Well, I can agree with that. But I think we might be better off going with Stephen Drew, the top SS entering the draft.

He'll be a good fielder and a good hitter, and could end up being a Nomar Garciaparra clone. And, since he's a college player, he could be ready by halfway though next seaosn, if not sooner.

With our current shortstop situation, I'd highly suggest we go with Drew. Ofcourse, it's just my opinion.

BigREDSfaninKY
04-10-2004, 04:37 PM
New to the board, but have lurked for some time.

It would be hard to pass up the quality pitching in this years draft.

CincyFlip
04-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Our MIF situation has become much worse than our starting pitching situation. We have a surplus of pretty good pitchers in the minors now, with the likes of Bong, Belisle, Moseley, Claussen, Nelson, and that's just the pitchers that are higher up in the farm system.

But our MIF situation is pitiful. We currently have a 40 year old starting for us at short, and the heir replacement(s) are Juan Castro clones waiting to happen, except with a more unconsistent glove(s).

Come June and the MLB Amateur Draft, some, no many, say we need to draft a SP. Well, I can agree with that. But I think we might be better off going with Stephen Drew, the top SS entering the draft.

He'll be a good fielder and a good hitter, and could end up being a Nomar Garciaparra clone. And, since he's a college player, he could be ready by halfway though next seaosn, if not sooner.

With our current shortstop situation, I'd highly suggest we go with Drew. Ofcourse, it's just my opinion.

I agree, if Drew is there we should HIGHLY consider drafting him. Who is available FA wise next year at SS?

WVRed
04-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the board.

As far as drafting pitchers, the only pitcher I might consider would be the Rice pitchers, but if it comes down to Drew or Matt Bush over Jeremy Sowers, im definitely voting SS.

Red Heeler
04-10-2004, 06:12 PM
If it's a SS you want, I'd look at Chris Nelson. He's got a lot bigger upside than Drew. He might not be ready as quick, but when you are drafting as high as the Reds are, you need to go for the big bang.

I suspect that Drew will be a 3B in the majors. He just doesn't seem to have the range or smoothness of a good SS to me. Also, I suspect that he may be like big brother and ask for a huge bonus.

I'm still hoping that Nieman slides to the Reds slot in the draft. I think he has the potential to be a steal. I'd be happy with any of the Rice pitchers if Nelson is off the board. I'd also take Sowers over Drew. I'm hopeful that Weaver is off the board by the time the Reds pick because I think that he and Drew are the flavor of the month with no real staying power.

Slider
04-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Is there a good place to find info about the MLB draft? I know the Reds draft fairly high this year...but my attempts to even find out the draft selection order have gone fruitless.

Is there a good site that specializes in the MLB draft?

Why is the MLB draft such a secret?

IslandRed
04-10-2004, 11:45 PM
I kind of hate to say it, seeing that I went to FSU and "Dirt" is one of my favorites to come through there, but based on the trend, he got some of his body parts from the same discount bin as his older brother. This year's rash of injuries and ineffectiveness hasn't helped him at all. I think he can play the position and he'll hit, but he isn't the all-but-sure thing he was a year or two ago. Some folks down there aren't even convinced he's going in the first round unless he stays healthy the rest of the year.

But then, he's hit four dingers in the first two games of the Miami series, so he might be coming around. :GAC:

BigREDSfaninKY
04-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Will all 3 of the Rice pitchers be gone by #7? I'm guessing Niemann is the better of the 3, he would be my choice. And about Sowers, is he a junior at Vandy? If so, would he do the same to the Reds, (if drafted by them), like he did after he finished high school? That would be my concern about him.

M2
04-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Is there a good place to find info about the MLB draft? I know the Reds draft fairly high this year...but my attempts to even find out the draft selection order have gone fruitless.

Is there a good site that specializes in the MLB draft?

Why is the MLB draft such a secret?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/

They're phenomenal.

Big Klu
04-11-2004, 01:12 AM
I might be wrong, but I think that if a player is drafted out of high school, and decides not to sign, then he has to inform the commissioner's office whether he will allow that team to draft him again.

For example, Sowers would have to King Bud's office know if it is OK for the Reds to draft him again, or if he is exempt from being selected by them.

Red Heeler
04-11-2004, 01:20 AM
Some folks down there aren't even convinced he's going in the first round unless he stays healthy the rest of the year.

Now that changes things a bunch. Drew v.2.0 I would love as an early second round pick. I'd be perfectly happy with him as a mid-late first round guy. I think that his stick is for real. My problem with him is that I don't see him as a good big league SS and that whole familial health problem that he has working against him.

If the Reds could manage to pull out Neiman and Drew with their top two picks, I couldn't be any happier with the first draft of the DO'B era.

IslandRed
04-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Now that changes things a bunch. Drew v.2.0 I would love as an early second round pick. I'd be perfectly happy with him as a mid-late first round guy. I think that his stick is for real. My problem with him is that I don't see him as a good big league SS and that whole familial health problem that he has working against him.

It's the health thing I'm most concerned about, along with everyone else. You might be right about him not being a good (i.e. above average) defensive shortstop in the majors, but if he hits like he can, he can be merely acceptable with the glove and still provide good value to a team.

General consensus seems to be that we'll have better and/or less risky options on the board at #7 and Drew will be gone by the time our next pick comes around.

Red Heeler
04-11-2004, 04:23 PM
It's the health thing I'm most concerned about, along with everyone else. You might be right about him not being a good (i.e. above average) defensive shortstop in the majors, but if he hits like he can, he can be merely acceptable with the glove and still provide good value to a team.

General consensus seems to be that we'll have better and/or less risky options on the board at #7 and Drew will be gone by the time our next pick comes around.

I see Drew as an Aaron Boone type defender. He'll make a heck of an athletic 3B but a merely adequate SS. If he can OPS in the high .700 to .800 that does make him a decent value at SS even if his fielding is only adequate. I've got bigger sights than that. I've been lucky to see the Reds have two of the best all-around SS in the game during my lifetime. I'm spoiled. I don't want to see the string broken by a compromise.

wheels
04-11-2004, 05:58 PM
I'm in the Nelson camp myself.

SS is a definite need, and you can find good pitchers in the next couple of rounds. A no brainer offensive SS that can pick it is, well a no brainer.

Take the best player available, and I don't think those Rice pitchers will be there come the number seven pick.

M2 started a really nice thread about this a few months ago. It really changed my mind about the draft.

BigREDSfaninKY
04-11-2004, 07:20 PM
not trying to sound ignorant, but who is Nelson? Drew, I've heard of, but Nelson, not.

Red Heeler
04-11-2004, 07:40 PM
not trying to sound ignorant, but who is Nelson? Drew, I've heard of, but Nelson, not.

Nelson is a stud SS prospect from a HS in Florida. He had surgery on his arm over the winter, so he has only DH'ed most of the season. I believe that the injury was a result of him also pitching. Barring the injury, I don't think that there is any way he makes it to the 7th pick.

docm3
04-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Answers: Drew is a good pick despite his recent injuries. Jeremy is signable to all 30 teams. He signed a waiver in '01 so he could be redrafted by the Reds. As far as the 3 Rice pitchers, you can't go wrong with any of them. I know them all, But I like Wade and Jeff the best. One thing I can tell you is that at the #7 pick there will be no shortage of good players left. And www.teamonebaseball.rivals.com also is an excellent source for the upcoming draft with a dedicated message board just on that subject. There is currently a mock draft going on. See what you think of it. BTW, Nelson is a SS/RHP from Stone Mt., GA who had TJ surgery and is a great prospect but doubt he'll see #7 because of his recent surgery. Stiil have Adenhart and Bailey as higher HS picks I think.

princeton
04-14-2004, 08:29 AM
if available, I see us taking Sowers again. The Reds have a lefty-fetish right now, and taking the most polished player worked out fine in '03

we took Larkin twice, and that worked out fine, too

15fan
04-14-2004, 09:38 AM
See this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21721&highlight=Chris+Nelson) from a week ago regarding metro-Atlanta's very own Chris Nelson.

REDREAD
04-14-2004, 10:20 AM
not trying to sound ignorant, but who is Nelson? Drew, .

Drew Nelson Was a poster that got banned from here :lol:

Oh, you didn't mean that ;)

Reds For Life!
04-14-2004, 10:18 PM
The Reds would be stupid to pass on any of these pitchers. Here are 8 worthy of the 7th pick. Jared Weaver is the younger brother of Jeff Weaver. He is hands down the best college pitcher out there. Many believe he is better than Mark Prior at this stage. 106 strikeouts to 11 BB? TheReds could get a solid shortstop with their second round pick. They cant get one of these pitchers with it though. BTW..Jeremy Sowers is good but I really believe he is the 8th best pitcher right now in college.

W L ERA IP SO BB

Jared Weaver 10 0 1.13 71.2 106 11
RHP Long Beach Sate

Wade Townsend 7 0 1.60 67.2 86 29
RHP Rice

Philip Humber 7 1 1.61 61.2 85 16
RHP Rice

J.P. Howell 7 1 1.89 66.2 83 27
LHP Texas

Justin Verlander 4 3 3.00 63.0 90 31
RHP Old Dominian

Jeff Neiman 5 2 2.59 55.2 63 18
RHP Rice

Matt Campbell 5 1 2.50 50.1 65 7
LHP South Carolina

Jeremy Sowers 6 1 3.07 55.2 62 6
LHP Vanderbilt

docm3
04-14-2004, 11:23 PM
No scouting director or GM I know thinks Weaver is better than Prior. Don't use stats to evaluate projectability. Many think Verlander has the highest ceiling in the draft but his ERA wouldn't lead you to believe that. JP Howell and Matt Campbell are both great pitchers. I know both of them but they don't belong in the group you've listed. I would suggest rather you look at the scouting directors and GM reports from the Cape Cod and Team USA reports to compare the pitchers above in relation to their respective tools. To help you out:
Wade Townsend was voted top pro prospect on the Cape by the Scouts
Jeremy Sowers was named MVP pitcher 2 years in a row for the Gatemen, (the last year having Townsend and JP Howell as teamates), never gave up more than 2 earned runs in a game in 18 starts in his career at Wareham (only the second player in modern Cape history to do so), was named the top pro prospect of the Cape Cod All-Star game and was the only one of the pitchers we've discussed (Townsend, Humber, Nieman, Howell,etc.) to be named to the All-League team at the end of the year (Top 14 players in the League).
Jered Weaver had a phenomenal year with Team USA and was named as Baseball America's summer player of the year, and rightly so. In my opinion he will be the top pick in the draft in most SD's and GMs minds (but not all). It's hard for you all to really gauge these guys true skills without having seen them pitch RECENTLY. I've been lucky enough to see them all pitch and I'm pretty objective about it.

M2
04-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Howell and Campbell are both interesting guys, but BA has them ranked 36th and 27th among the current crop of college draft prospects. It's entirely possible the Reds could get one of them in the second round (in fact I'd love to see them land Howell on that pick).

doc, it's actually Nelson's surgery which might make him available to a team like the Reds. He's a flat out better player (with the bat, on the bases, in the field) than Matt Bush (3rd ranked HS prospect according to BA). There's no doubt in my mind if he were in the field, ranging far and wide and gunning the ball to 1B like he did last year, he'd be the first position player off the board. Yet TJ surgery has teams playing cautious with him despite the fact that he's killing the ball at the plate. He's going to drop a bit and, IMO, the team that gets him will have pulled off a major heist. As good as the pitching crop is, Jeremy included, I think Nelson could be a star in MLB for a good 10-15 years. I'm giddy over the notion that the Reds might be able to land a kid like that.

docm3
04-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Agree. If Nelson had not had TJ he may have been a top 10 pick. I'd take JP over Matt, also. He pitches well in high pressure games. Beat Rice last night.
My list:
Pitchability
1. Weaver
2. Sowers
3. Humber
4. Townsend
5. Nieman
6. Verlander
Projectability (ceiling)
1. Nieman
1. Verlander
2. Townsend
3. Humber
3. Sowers
4. Weaver

My concern with Jered is that he is a clone of Jeff. The Dodgers are now working to change his mechanics.

Red Heeler
04-15-2004, 12:02 AM
I'd be interested to see what your guys' draft board would look like if you were the Reds' GM. Not a mock draft, but your list, in order, on how you would rank the prospects in order of preference for the Reds.

My take is:

Neiman
Humber
Nelson
Sowers
Verlander
Townsend
Drew

Gut feeling, somebody gets hosed on Jared Weaver. Of course, I thought that Prior was WAAAAYYYY over-rated after watching him throw a turd of a game in the CWS where he had absolutely nothing working. Ooooppps.

VR
05-31-2004, 12:02 PM
I'd love to see an update from docm3 on the draft, Jeremy's expectation etc.

docm3
06-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Things are heating up. Latest news about Drew jumping Weaver possibly (see BA Online today) and Tigers not so sure about Jered are interesting. I think Nieman may be first pitcher taken then Weaver then who knows. Jeremy threw well against Georgia last week, a CG 3 hitter with 10 K's 0 BB @ 90-92 mph even in the 9th in mid 90 degree weather with alot of front office people from MLB there. He met with the Reds last week. Things are great, never been any hard feelings from either side. He will sign with whomever drafts him. Take care. Doc.

VR
06-01-2004, 05:13 PM
thanks for the insight doc!

jmcclain19
06-01-2004, 05:18 PM
My concern with Jered is that he is a clone of Jeff. The Dodgers are now working to change his mechanics.

Seeing that it looks like he could be the third player taken, instead of the most certain No. 1 pick he did a few months back, you're not the only one apparently who believes this theory.

But you don't want to judge a player by what his brother did. Think of how different you are from your siblings.

For every Eli/Peyton Manning similarity, there is a Mike/Greg Maddux difference out there.