PDA

View Full Version : What will the Reds record be after 17 of 20 on the road?

Jim Fazio
04-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Reds are 4-2. What will their record be after the next 17 out of 20 on the road? I'll say they go 10-10 to be at 14-12. I hope it's much better. :) :)

top6
04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
if they go 10-10, i'll be thrilled. that would put us in a great position.

smith288
04-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Just competing this year would please me

LvJ
04-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Duh, 20-0.

Spring~Fields
04-12-2004, 11:24 AM
I think that the next games against Philly, Chicago, Atlanta and Houston will be a good test and indicator. In the 20 games I think the Reds will carry a .600 win pct. Which would be winning 12 of the 20.

Mon. 12 at Philadelphia
Wed. 14 at Philadelphia
Thu. 15 at Philadelphia
Fri. 16 at Chicago Cubs
Sat. 17 at Chicago Cubs
Sun. 18 at Chicago Cubs
Mon. 19 at Chicago Cubs
Tue. 20 Atlanta
Wed. 21 Atlanta
Thu. 22 Atlanta
Fri. 23 at Pittsburgh
Sat. 24 at Pittsburgh
Sun. 25 at Pittsburgh
Mon. 26 at Pittsburgh
Tue. 27 at Milwaukee
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee
Fri. 30 at Houston
Sat. 1 at Houston
Sun. 2 at Houston
Mon. 3 at Houston

Johnny Footstool
04-12-2004, 11:42 AM
My pessimistic prediction:

1 from the Phillies
1 from the Cubs
1 from the Braves
3 from Pittsburgh
2 from Milwaukee
1 from Houston

9 wins total.

KronoRed
04-12-2004, 11:52 AM
8-12

Krusty
04-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Anything over .500 on the road will be a success.

reds44
04-12-2004, 11:22 PM
11-9

SirFelixCat
04-12-2004, 11:28 PM
This is my guess:

Mon. 12 at Philadelphia W
Wed. 14 at Philadelphia W
Thu. 15 at Philadelphia
Fri. 16 at Chicago Cubs 2 W's vs Cubbies
Sat. 17 at Chicago Cubs
Sun. 18 at Chicago Cubs
Mon. 19 at Chicago Cubs
Tue. 20 Atlanta
Wed. 21 Atlanta 2 W's vs Bravos
Thu. 22 Atlanta
Fri. 23 at Pittsburgh
Sat. 24 at Pittsburgh 3 W's vs Bucs
Sun. 25 at Pittsburgh
Mon. 26 at Pittsburgh
Tue. 27 at Milwaukee 1 W vs Beer Guys
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee
Fri. 30 at Houston
Sat. 1 at Houston 2 W's vs 'Stros
Sun. 2 at Houston
Mon. 3 at Houston

And this equals :thumbup: :D :GAC:

reds44
04-12-2004, 11:29 PM
12-8 i think!

TheBurn
04-13-2004, 12:22 AM
12-8 to put the Reds at 16-10 :roll:

Reds1
04-13-2004, 12:40 AM
I say 11-9 especially considering no Prior and maybe no Pettitte or at least not a perfect health Pettitte. I'd love to see 12-8, but I'd say if we stay .500 it would be nice getting back home. The good news is a ton of games are on. Almost for 2 straight weeks. I can't wait.

WVRedsFan
04-13-2004, 12:44 AM

1 from the Phillies
1 from the Cubs
1 from the Braves
3 from Pittsburgh
2 from Milwaukee
1 from Houston

9 wins total.
I agree. It's going to be tough.

Stormy
04-13-2004, 12:59 AM
I'm with SC on this one. I think we take 2 of 4 from the Cubs; 2 of 3 from the Braves (which I'll be attending); 3 of 4 from the Pirates; a split with the Brewers; and 2 of 4 from Houston (and hoping that we can take one of the next two from the Phils - either via getting to Padilla (tough), or via Harang not self-destructing the next game).

That would place us at a very promising 17-10 record by the end of the road trips. The toughest tests confronting the team during that span will be facing the tandem of Wood/Zambrano in a 4 day stretch, and a grinding trip to face a dangerous Houston team at the end of a long, exhausting stretch.

Our lack of bench depth is going to hurt us some in these long stretches versus some exceptional teams, and the "pitch to contact" guys aren't going to continue to get such favorable results when weather and bats start to heat up - and at'em balls become gappers. However, at least those not named Haynes probably won't compound the problem by walking the bases full before the hitfests. I think the versatile, solid first 6 in our lineup (if you flip Larkin and Freel) are going to provide solid run scoring opportunities for each other. It will be interesting to see how the BP responds once they no longer are getting long, quality outings from the rotation in nearly every start - that may be the tipping point of the season which decides whether we are a 70+ win team, a .500 club, or fringe NLC contenders (if injuries plague the Cubs/Stros rotations, and we actually add rotation help/bench depth if we are stick in the race into June).

Falls City Beer
04-13-2004, 10:06 AM
To expect anything better than 10-10 is absurdity IMO.

Rocket_Fuel
04-13-2004, 11:19 AM

Why? The Reds are only playing 3 projected playoff contenders during this stretch and two of them are playing sub.-500 baseball right now (Chicago, Phillies). Another wild card during that stretch is Brandon Claussen. If he's called up and pitches like we expect, that's another quality starter, and LHP. I'm saying that the Reds are going to send a message to the doubters (hopefully), and go 14-6 along the way.

zombie-a-go-go
04-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Why? The Reds are only playing 3 projected playoff contenders during this stretch and two of them are playing sub.-500 baseball right now (Chicago, Phillies), and the Reds play the other one at home (Houston). I'm saying that the Reds are going to send a message to the doubters (hopefully), and go 14-6 along the way.

Preach it, brother!

SirFelixCat
04-19-2004, 10:54 PM
This is my guess:

Thu. 15 at Philadelphia
Sat. 17 at Chicago Cubs
Sun. 18 at Chicago Cubs
Mon. 19 at Chicago Cubs
Tue. 20 Atlanta
Thu. 22 Atlanta
Fri. 23 at Pittsburgh
Sun. 25 at Pittsburgh
Mon. 26 at Pittsburgh
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee
Fri. 30 at Houston
Sun. 2 at Houston
Mon. 3 at Houston

Well, the first "W" was rained out, vs Philly, but right now, we're right on schedule :thumbup: RW is gonna take his licks, but he'll bounce back..no worries.

Sabo Fan
04-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Chipper Jones won't play in any of the games against the Reds this week, which makes the Braves lineup all that much weaker. I say the Reds pull off a three game sweep.

Stormy
04-20-2004, 01:07 AM
Well, the first "W" was rained out, vs Philly, but right now, we're right on schedule :thumbup: RW is gonna take his licks, but he'll bounce back..no worries.

Agreed. I thought we'd split with the Cubs, though by beating Mitre and Maddux, not Wood. I thought we'd take 2 of 3 from the Phils. The damning part is that sans bullpen self-destruction, this 3-3 stretch *should* easily be 5-1. It's not a "what if" or "shoulda, woulda, coulda" scenario. It's a matter of stating that 4-0 leads with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th can't turn into 6-4 losses, and 10-7 leads in the 8th can't turn into 11-10 losses. And, though we might not have rallied today, you can't stay within 2 runs into the 8th inning of a Jimmy Haynes start, and then lose 8-1.

Even with a few bad starts in the stretch (Wilson, Harang, Haynes(?)), this lineup, parts of the rotation, and even some of the bench did everything they had to do to put us in a winning position, only to have it repeatedly yanked out from under them by the bullpen. If that becomes norm, rather than exception, this team will play sub 500 during the span, rather than the 5+ games over they potentially were striving towards.

During that span of a mere 5 games, Graves (decisive 2HR inning versus Cubs), Wagner (drubbed by Phillies and Cubs in 2 separate huge, decisive innings), Norton (drubbed in each of his 3 appearances), Jones (2ER inning vs Cubs) each had 1, or more, decidedly horrid showings. Even when some scoreless innings were being placed on the board, it was often the case that the pitcher was getting slapped around but benefitting from at'em balls, or baserunning snafus. And it wasn't all Wrigley (some was, some wasn't), as the worst of the performances started in Philly, and the Cubs better relievers ala Hawkins, Farnsworth, Wellemeyer etc... weren't having many problems. Only Riedling (who should be our primary setup man), and Reith (maybe the closest we can come to filling some of Sullivan's middle relief role) pitched well during that span... We can't survive that kind of BP epidemic. We probably need to make re-assign some roles, and tinker with the design and/or bring up another LHP option.

Stormy
04-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Chipper Jones won't play in any of the games against the Reds this week, which makes the Braves lineup all that much weaker. I say the Reds pull off a three game sweep.

I'm headed to the series. I expect 2 of 3 for the Reds. I think we'll trounce Thompson and Wright. Given our recent past history versus young LHP, I'm a little worried about Ramirez (especially facing Harang). I already have Acevedo and Lidle's starts in the bank.

REDREAD
04-20-2004, 09:01 AM
I'd be happy as a clam to go .500 in this road series. I agree with Falls City that it is probably the most
reasonable.

Think about it, so far this season, some players are off to hot starts that will not be maintained.
Todd Jones is not a 2.57 ERA pitcher. All our non-Haynes starting pitchers have a 4.09 ERA or less.
Really, other than Norton/Haynes.. every pitcher has gotten off to a great start. (Wagner's stats are
skewed by that one horrible start).

I do expect the offense to get better as the year goes on. Naturally Dunn and Casey will cool
down a little bit, but I expect the other guys to do much better.
But I don't expect the offense to overcome the pitching coming back to earth.

GAC
04-20-2004, 09:05 AM
I have A. Jones, Furcal, and Giles on my fantasy team. And so far they sure haven't helped me one bit! Castro has a better OPS then a couple of these guys! :lol:

I can see us taking 2 of 3. They don't get to face Haynes!

When is Acevedo scheduled to pitch again? Did they just make him miss one start due to his hand?

Falls City Beer
04-20-2004, 11:29 AM
I don't care who's pitching for the Braves; I never look past that team.

Until proven otherwise, they are the team to beat from the East.

I'm not saying the Braves WILL sweep us, but there's every chance they could.

The Reds offense disappeared after the first inning yesterday. I hope that isn't a trend starting.

I say the Reds squeak out one win in this series--probably tonight's game.

Edskin
04-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Along the same lines as my theory yesterday, I think the goal right now is to lessen the importance of the impending 4 gamer in Houston by winning some before we arrive in Houston.

We play 9 games before facing the Astros. Three at home vs. the Braves and a total of 6 on the road with the Pirates and Brewers. Not a real tough stretch, although I take nothing for granted.

I say shoot for 6-3 over this 9 game stretch prior to the Houston series. 5-4 would be acceptable. Anything less might put us in a tougher position down in Texas. If we take care of business BEFORE the Houston series, then we could afford to lose 3 of 4 without it doing much damage.

If you remember-- in recent years we've actually been in position to make a move in the division at different times and we usually got NAILED in those series. Remember the 4 gamer in Houston last year? Ouch-- possibly the worst exhibition of baseball I've ever seen.

Two years ago, we went 0-6 on a homestand against the A's and Mariners and we never recovered.

Under Boone we always some sort of nightmare stretch of games that destoryed our hopes of competing down the stretch. I'm hoping to avoid one of those this year. By taking advantage of "softer" spots on the schedule, it will allow us to relax a bit more when the tough spots come up.

As I said, I view the season in increments. Right now, I see a 9 game increment that leads into what will be our toughest series so far this year (yes, tougher than the Cubs IMO). How we fare over these 9 games dictates the "feel" for the Houston series.

gm
04-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Yes, the Red's bullpen has struggled recently, but it's been the team's strength during the Hume era. The names of the Cincy pitchers have changed every year, but as a unit the relievers have achieved top-shelf results consistently. The Reds have a history of bringing in relatively unknown relievers (who was Jeff Shaw before Cincy, etc?) and getting career years out of 'em. (Remember last year at this time there were doubters re: Heredia and White, and now those pitchers are mainstays in the Skankee's bullpen.)

What I'm saying is...give it time. If the Reds have been good at anything in the last 7-8 years, it's been building a quality relief corps. I'm more than willing to give Hummer the benefit of the doubt (much more so than Gullett with the rotation, BTW)

Spring~Fields
04-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Mon. 12 at Philadelphia Reds 4 Phils 1
Wed. 14 at Philadelphia PPD
Thu. 15 at Philadelphia Phils 6 Reds 4
Fri. 16 at Chicago Cubs Cubs 11 Reds 10
Sat. 17 at Chicago Cubs Reds 3 Cubs 2
Sun. 18 at Chicago Cubs Reds 11 Cubs 10
Mon. 19 at Chicago Cubs 8 Reds 1
Tue. 20 Atlanta Reds 3 Braves 2

1st seven games played 1 post poned

Reds 4-3 .570 win pct.
12 games remaining.

Wed. 21 Atlanta Braves 9 Reds 5
Thu. 22 Atlanta Reds 5 Braves 3
Fri. 23 at Pittsburgh Reds 6 Pirates 4

Reds 6-4 .600 win pct.
9 games remaining

Sat. 24 at Pittsburgh Reds 9 Pirates 7
Sun. 25 at Pittsburgh Pirates 6 Reds 0
Mon. 26 at Pittsburgh Reds 5 Pirates 2

Reds 8-5 w/6games remaining
.620 win pct.

Tue. 27 at Milwaukee
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee

Fri. 30 at Houston
Sat. 1 at Houston
Sun. 2 at Houston
Mon. 3 at Houston

The Reds got the job done against Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

SirFelixCat
04-22-2004, 05:50 PM
This is my guess:

Thu. 15 at Philadelphia
Sat. 17 at Chicago Cubs
Sun. 18 at Chicago Cubs
Mon. 19 at Chicago Cubs
Tue. 20 Atlanta
Thu. 22 Atlanta
Fri. 23 at Pittsburgh
Sun. 25 at Pittsburgh
Mon. 26 at Pittsburgh
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee
Fri. 30 at Houston
Sun. 2 at Houston
Mon. 3 at Houston

Well, the first "W" was rained out, vs Philly, but right now, we're right on schedule. If we go 6-4 over our next 10 (completely resonable), we have done it. :thumbup: And I look pretty smart, too ;)

Spring~Fields
04-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Looks like the optomist have a chance at being fairly close.

SirFelixCat
04-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Who? Us? :mhcky21: :thumbup: :GAC:

Stormy
04-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Who? Us? :mhcky21: :thumbup: :GAC:

So far they aren't just on pace, they are actually winning the exact games within each series as projected (excepting the rained out Philly game, which may have stolen one from us). However, so far it's been the exact scenario versus the Phils, the 2 of 4 vs Cubs, the 2 of 3 from the Braves, and a nice start towards 3 of 4 versus the Bucs (which given the way they are playing could be a 4 of 4). The hardest test will be the split with Houston, but if we go into thaty series 6-7 games over .500 as we projected... the team should be in a very comfortable situation. And, going into that tough Away set versus the Astros will still likely have not lost a series yet on the year.

I'll still be shocked if they aren't 17-10 at the end of the stretch. It could have been even better had we protected a few significant late inning leads, and had we not blown a few other close ones. However, it would be hard to ask for more than what this team is accomplishing, even on nights where they don't get quality starts or solid BP relief... and the Pirates are the perfect panacea in the midst of the more difficult series.

Good calls, so far.

Spring~Fields
04-26-2004, 10:10 PM

Reds 4-3 .570 win pct.
12 games remaining.

Reds 6-4 .600 win pct.
9 games remaining

.620 win pct.

Tue. 27 at Milwaukee Brewers 9 Reds 8 :o
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee Brewers 10 Reds 9 :o

Reds 8-7

Fri. 30 at Houston Astros 6 Reds 1
Sat. 1 at Houston Astros 10 Reds 4

Reds 8-9 and falling fast!
.470 win pct. if one can call that a "win" pct.

Sun. 2 at Houston
Mon. 3 at Houston

Seems fair to keep this up to give credit to those that were closest to being right.

wheels
04-26-2004, 10:19 PM
They haven't really had him all year anyway.

SirFelixCat
04-26-2004, 10:25 PM
This is my guess:

Thu. 15 at Philadelphia
Sat. 17 at Chicago Cubs
Sun. 18 at Chicago Cubs
Mon. 19 at Chicago Cubs
Tue. 20 Atlanta
Thu. 22 Atlanta
Fri. 23 at Pittsburgh
Sun. 25 at Pittsburgh
Mon. 26 at Pittsburgh
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee
Fri. 30 at Houston
Sun. 2 at Houston
Mon. 3 at Houston

Well, not to jinx it, but I have been EXACTLY on thus far,with 6 games to go.

And as wheels said, Ears hasn't been right all season. I said, in ST and then in the first week of the season, that it wasn't a slump. His shoulder still isn't right. Now, I don't want to say that his broken wrist/arm is good, it's not. BUT, it will give that shoulder time to rest and, in the long run, I honestly believe this will do more good than bad. It helps his shoulder heal longer and it also lets us know just what we have in WMP.

But still, I'm feeling pretty good on my prediction skills :mhcky21: :thumbup: :GAC:

Johnny Footstool
04-27-2004, 04:21 PM

1 from the Phillies Wrong! 2Ws
1 from the Cubs Wrong! 2Ws
1 from the Braves Wrong! 2Ws
3 from Pittsburgh Right! I'm the MAN!!
2 from Milwaukee
1 from Houston

9 wins total.

3 wins ahead of my prediction.

Spring~Fields
04-28-2004, 11:23 PM
My how quickly things can change.....

smith288
04-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Bout time you chaged your signature Springfield?

Spring~Fields
04-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Bout time you chaged your signature Springfield?

Didn't I just write, "my how quickly things can change", that works both ways right?

Say Smith, the Reds have a .571 win pct. right now, just what is .571 X 162 games?

smith288
04-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Didn't I just write, "my how quickly things can change", that works both ways right?

Say Smith, the Reds have a .571 win pct. right now, just what is .571 X 162 games?
It does work both ways but do you honestly think this team, as it stands, has any hope of keeping up a 571 win %? Seriously.

Spring~Fields
04-29-2004, 12:04 AM
It does work both ways but do you honestly think this team, as it stands, has any hope of keeping up a 571 win %? Seriously.

I don't know that it will stand this way, though I don't have any faith in the Reds FO, a bit of a stretch, but the FO and our bullpen are somewhat synonymous to me.

I will still have to wait and see what May and June brings.

Though the following has nothing to do with rather the Reds will win 92 games, none of the division teams seem to be winning that much, I mean that none of the teams in the Reds division seem dominate at this segment of the present season, which might make for a nice season regardless of 92 victories or less for the Reds.

smith288
04-29-2004, 12:10 AM
I agree. We wont get to 92 wins but if things stay the same in the Div, we will be among the "elite" in the hapless Nat Central

SirFelixCat
04-30-2004, 05:32 PM
This is my guess:

Thu. 15 at Philadelphia
Sat. 17 at Chicago Cubs
Sun. 18 at Chicago Cubs
Mon. 19 at Chicago Cubs
Tue. 20 Atlanta
Thu. 22 Atlanta
Fri. 23 at Pittsburgh
Sun. 25 at Pittsburgh
Mon. 26 at Pittsburgh
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee
Fri. 30 at Houston
Sun. 2 at Houston
Mon. 3 at Houston

Damn, one game behind now. Guess we'll just have to take 3 outta 4 from the 'Stros...and just for the record, I think we can, seriously, as long as Berkman doesn't get a chance to hit...he OWNS us! :MandJ:

Falls City Beer
04-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Looks like Johnny Footstool's gonna get the number right (9), just not the sequence. I'd be stunned, totally stunned, if the Reds win more than a game in Houston (unless they replace Wagner with Bong; Jones with Belisle--breaking them in with long relief stints, and then replacing Norton with Mathews).

SirFelixCat
04-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Looks like Johnny Footstool's gonna get the number right (9), just not the sequence. I'd be stunned, totally stunned, if the Reds win more than a game in Houston (unless they replace Wagner with Bong; Jones with Belisle--breaking them in with long relief stints, and then replacing Norton with Mathews).

Careful.

Spring~Fields
05-02-2004, 08:34 AM

Reds 4-3 .570 win pct.
12 games remaining.

Reds 6-4 .600 win pct.
9 games remaining

.620 win pct.

Tue. 27 at Milwaukee Brewers 9 Reds 8 :o
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee Brewers 10 Reds 9 :o

Reds 8-7

Sun. 2 at Houston Astros 6 Reds 5
Mon. 3 at Houston Reds 7 Astros 5

Reds ended up with 9 wins and 10 losses win pct. .470

So much for pitching to contact :help:

tremere
05-02-2004, 11:49 AM
I don't know that it will stand this way, though I don't have any faith in the Reds FO, a bit of a stretch, but the FO and our bullpen are somewhat synonymous to me.

I will still have to wait and see what May and June brings.

Though the following has nothing to do with rather the Reds will win 92 games, none of the division teams seem to be winning that much, I mean that none of the teams in the Reds division seem dominate at this segment of the present season, which might make for a nice season regardless of 92 victories or less for the Reds.

You still didn't answer the question. Deferring your "serious" opinion until May/June doesn't answer the question of whether you CURRENTLY think the Reds are capable of holding a .571% winning percentage.

tremere
05-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Careful.

I don't get it. Careful about what? He has a valid point.

Matt700wlw
05-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Considering the monster that has peeked it's ugly head in at this point....we'll be lucky to be .500 -- all they have to do is win one of these to keep over .500 (if my Bowling Green math is correct)....I'm not sure if they can even do that at this point

Spring~Fields
05-02-2004, 01:29 PM
You still didn't answer the question. Deferring your "serious" opinion until May/June doesn't answer the question of whether you CURRENTLY think the Reds are capable of holding a .571% winning percentage.

tremere
Are you hoping that they don't, or were you just bored? :lol:

Spring~Fields
05-03-2004, 11:26 PM

1 from the Phillies
1 from the Cubs
1 from the Braves
3 from Pittsburgh
2 from Milwaukee
1 from Houston

9 wins total.

We have a correct prediction of 9 wins, Johnny see SC Reds Fans for your prize money check :mhcky21:

Reds 4-3 .570 win pct.
12 games remaining.

Reds 6-4 .600 win pct.
9 games remaining

.620 win pct.

Tue. 27 at Milwaukee Brewers 9 Reds 8
Wed. 28 at Milwaukee Brewers 10 Reds 9

Reds 8-7

Sun. 2 at Houston Astros 6 Reds 5
Mon. 3 at Houston Reds 7 Astros 5

Reds ended up with 9 wins and 10 losses win pct. .470