PDA

View Full Version : My pitching staff is driving me nuts!!!

Red Leader
04-19-2004, 11:25 AM
My current starters:

SP: Mike Mussina
SP: Jamie Moyer
SP: Joel Pineiro
SP: Freddy Garcia
SP: Brett Myers
SP: Adam Eaton

My current relievers:
RP: Octavio Dotel
RP: Arthur Rhodes
RP: Armando Benitez

I've tried to trade Mussina and Moyer and nobody willing to give me anything of value for either. Ideally, I'd like to move one of my Mariner starters and one of my closers (one who might lose his job, or fail) to boost my starting pitching. The team that could really use a reliever in my league has J.Schmidt, E.Loiaza, K.Wells, C.C. Sabathia, L.Hernandez and K.Escobar. Of those, I'm really high on Schmidt, Loiaza, Wells and Sabathia. I'm thinking that if I can deal Pineiro and Rhodes? (not sure which reliever to trade), I could get 1 of Schmidt/ Loiaza + 1 of Sabathia / Wells. Another deal I might be able to do would be to trade Pineiro / Rhodes for Webb / Nathan. I'd like to get two starter back for these two players I'm trading, though. I think I'll be fine in saves with 2 of the 3 I have. So, which deal do you think would be best for me, and which closer would you trade if you had to trade 1 of them?

Johnny Footstool
04-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Mussina and Pinero are driving everyone nuts.

Of the 3 closers you have, Benitez is an absolute lock. Rhodes is pretty good, and since he doesn't have anyone else in the bullpen who could really hawk saves from him, he's very safe in his role. Dotel is very solid, but he does have Brad Lidge as his setup man, so if he struggles, Lidge could step into the closer role.

Pinero/Rhodes for Webb/Nathan would be a pretty fair deal. I think you could also get a very good return for Pinero and Dotel.

Red Leader
04-19-2004, 12:26 PM
I was planning on keeping Benitez no matter what. I'm on the fence with the other two. I keep hearing that Rhodes is not effective pitching back to back days and the A's know this. I also read today for the first time that if Harden continues to struggle in the rotation that they won't hesitate to move him to the closers role and put Duchscherer in the 5th spot, or Blanton when he is ready. I've also read a lot about Dotel being known as a slow starter and that he really doesn't pick up his game until May 1st. I also know that Brad Lidge is a VERY good power pitcher in the setup role. I'm extremely scared that they will end up switching roles, although everything I've read seems to indicate that Dotel is safe as the closer all year, I don't know if I truly believe it. As far as safety goes I'd have to rank them: Benitez, Rhodes, Dotel as of now. Hopefully Dotel can turn things around quickly and get it going and then, IMO, he would move ahead of Rhodes as long as his role is secure.

Red Leader
04-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Anybody! What about this deal:

I trade Mussina, Pineiro and Dotel
I get J. Vazquez, W.Miller, and B. Looper.

I could then drop Looper and pick up Wakefield, J. Thomson, or E.Milton or keep Looper as my 3rd starter. I really like Vazquez. Miller and Pineiro are pretty much going to be a wash, IMO. I think Dotel is better than Looper, and this part of the trade could kill me in the long run. Thoughts?

Johnny Footstool
04-19-2004, 03:35 PM
The gamble here is that Mussina will continue to struggle. If you think he will, then the upside is probably worth exchanging Dotel for Looper.

Red Leader
04-19-2004, 05:18 PM
This guy is really busting my balls, knowing that I desperately want to get rid of Mussina.

Currrent deal is:

SP Mussina, SP Pineiro, and RP Dotel for
SP Vazquez, SP W.Miller, and RP R. Biddle.

I love the upgrade at SP since I think Vazquez will be better than Mussina, and I think Wade Miller is the best #4 starter in the league, but going from Dotel to Biddle? Yikes. I would most likely drop Biddle and pick up a free agent starter if this trade were to go through. Either Wakefield, J. Thomson, or E. Milton. Should I go ahead with it?

Ender
04-19-2004, 06:48 PM
I would. Then do like you said and dump Biddle.