PDA

View Full Version : God Bless America.........haynes released!

Lance McAlister
05-10-2004, 12:28 PM
The Reds today asked for unconditional release waivers on RHP Jimmy Haynes.

Haynes went 0-3, 9.60 in 4 starts and 1 relief appearance for the Reds this season and the last 2 seasons went 2-15, 6.75 in 22 starts and 1 relief appearance.

A corresponding roster move will be made prior to tomorrow night’s game at San Diego.

RedsBaron
05-10-2004, 12:30 PM
:jump: :clap: :rockon: :yipee: :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
05-10-2004, 12:31 PM
You're kidding, right?

This is a big put-on, right?

RedsMan3203
05-10-2004, 12:32 PM
:GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC:

Thanks!!!!!!!!! You just made my day!

UKFlounder
05-10-2004, 12:32 PM
You're kidding, right?

This is a big put-on, right?

April Fools Day is long past, isn't it? :confused: :MandJ:

FrenchD1
05-10-2004, 12:37 PM
I Heard It Too!!

wheels
05-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Jimmahhhhhh!!!

JIMMAH!!!

jimmah?

Buckeye33
05-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Mods! Sticky This Wonderful News!!!!!!!!!!

princeton
05-10-2004, 12:42 PM
is this why Matt Belisle is your next interview?

smith288
05-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Im ignorant on roster moves. What is the normal steps for this type of action?

Can someone explain?

princeton
05-10-2004, 12:44 PM

Can someone explain?

I think that they could designate him for assignment, and since he would clear waivers, the Reds could then assign him to Louisville

Instead, they chose to waive him immediately. They don't want him in the organization at all.

smith288
05-10-2004, 12:45 PM
So we are eating his contract?

SteelSD
05-10-2004, 12:45 PM

Can someone explain?

I believe that generally they just submit the paperwork to MLB.

Although I'm hopeful that, in this case, they took Haynes out back and beat him before doing so.

Jimmah! Phew!

jmcclain19
05-10-2004, 12:46 PM

Can someone explain?
If memory serves, teams have around 24-48 hours to put in a claim, and pay the remainder of Haynes salary.

If no one does, I believe the Reds are stuck with it and he's free to sign with another team.

I think that if he signs with another team, the Reds are off the hook. I could be mistaken. Anyone else who knows otherwise please feel free to correct.

princeton
05-10-2004, 12:48 PM
So we are eating his contract?

yeah, there was never a way to get out of his contract unless he was dealt or claimed on waivers. If he gets picked up by another team on waivers, we owe him nothing. If he's not claimed on waivers but signed later, I suspect that we owe him the difference between what the new team is paying him (major league minimum or minor league minimum) and his $2.5mill salary

jmcclain19
05-10-2004, 12:49 PM
OK, I did a quick Google, and here's what I found

A waiver is a permission granted to a Club that desires to assign or release one of its players. There are basically two types of waivers -- waivers for the assignment of a player and waivers for the unconditional release of a player. In both cases, waivers are granted only after all the other Major League Clubs have been given an opportunity to claim the player and none has done so. With regard to assignment waivers, permission is granted for a specific period of time. With unconditional release waivers, once permission is granted the player is a free agent.

Roy Tucker
05-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Yay!

I feel a little sorry for Jimmy, but I imagine the Reds will eat the remainder of his contract so my sorrow doesn't go very far.

Jimmy dug his own grave with his lack of off-season conditioning.

UKFlounder
05-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Yay!

Jimmy dug his own grave with his lack of off-season conditioning.

Not to mention his lack of in-season ability.

zombie-a-go-go
05-10-2004, 12:59 PM
There are not enough emoticons to express the jubilation I'm feeling right now. I hereby proclaim May 10th "Jimmah Haynes Day" in honor of this wonderous event.

Yeah!

wheels
05-10-2004, 01:02 PM
I am so freaking happy right now.

If there is such a thing as addition by subtraction, this is it.

Far East
05-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Haynes may just call it quits. I recall in the late 50's the Reds releasing veteran LHP Art Fowler. Upon being told of his release, Art said something like, "If I can't make this pitching staff, I don't belong in the game!"

OTPH, Jimmy still feels that he can get big league hitters out and is younger (31) than Fowler was (34) at the time.

princeton
05-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Haynes may just call it quits. I recall in the late 50's the Reds releasing veteran LHP Art Fowler. Upon being told of his release, Art said something like, "If I can't make this pitching staff, I don't belong in the game!"

OTPH, Jimmy still feels that he can get big league hitters out and is younger (31) than Fowler was (34) at the time.

pitchers make a lot more money now than in the late 50's.

LvJ
05-10-2004, 01:14 PM
OMG! Best news evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeer! ;)

Chip R
05-10-2004, 01:15 PM
I hereby proclaim May 10th "Jimmah Haynes Day" in honor of this wonderous event.
So be it.

princeton
05-10-2004, 01:16 PM
I wonder what changed their minds since five days ago? Is this the equivalent of kicking your dog after a tough loss, or did someone's performance in the minors make them take note?

Etherton's and Belisle's latest games stand out. Claussen's wasn't much, Bong was smoked

RedsMan3203
05-10-2004, 01:18 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/news/cin_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040510&content_id=740331&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp

Its true!!!!

Unassisted
05-10-2004, 01:19 PM
So which team in need of starting pitching should we go visit the board of to start recommending Haynes' as a waiver-wire pickup? ;)

UKFlounder
05-10-2004, 01:21 PM
So which team in need of starting pitching should we go visit the board of to start recommending Haynes' as a waiver-wire pickup? ;)

Who do we have the most games left against? :lol: (though knowing the Reds, we would probably make him look like Cy Young Jr, :mhcky21: )

LvJ
05-10-2004, 01:22 PM
I think Haynes has a decent chance of landing back in Milwaukee...

And then he'll proceed to shutout the Reds.

Chip R
05-10-2004, 01:23 PM
I wonder what changed their minds since five days ago? Is this the equivalent of kicking your dog after a tough loss, or did someone's performance in the minors make them take note?I'm guessing it probably had something to do with JIMMAH's!! attitude. Perhaps he *****ed about this demotion and was being a real PITA about it so they just decided to let him go outright. Couldn't have hurt PR any although one would believe that the best time to do this (PR wise) would be coming back home from a roadie. Perhaps they don't believe VP will make his next start and the new guy will replace him.

Might be interesting to listen to Belisle on Lance's show this afternoon.

Redny
This decision was probably made during last weeks meeting, but they must have had to wait for some reason.

Roy Tucker
So, not to be a naysayer (nay), but will this make a smidge of difference to the Reds' overall success? Was Jimmy holding the Reds back from a NL Central crown?

smith288
05-10-2004, 01:26 PM
This decision was probably made during last weeks meeting, but they must have had to wait for some reason.

Wouldnt the chance for other teams to grab him off the waiver wire be over with now because his release is public? So maybe at the meeting, they did put him up on the wire and only now we are hearing about it due to no takers?

smith288
05-10-2004, 01:26 PM
I can think of a few games where he basically spotted our opponents 5 or 6 runs knocking the wind from our sails before the boat left the dock.

princeton
05-10-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm guessing it probably had something to do with JIMMAH's!! attitude. Perhaps he *****ed about this demotion and was being a real PITA about it so they just decided to let him go outright.

judging from recent quotes, he seemed surprised and happy that he was still on the major league roster, and pointed out that he'd recently had a successful bullpen stint so maybe it was a good thing for him

now, maybe he couldn't get loose fast enough to enter some game (seems unlikely given recent close games) or maybe Don wanted one last chance to fix something, and finally gave up. But I'm hoping that the Reds really think that Belisle is ready, and that they're actually right about that. And I'm hoping that they break him in slowly rather than throw him into the frying pan

Redny
05-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Wouldnt the chance for other teams to grab him off the waiver wire be over with now because his release is public? So maybe at the meeting, they did put him up on the wire and only now we are hearing about it due to no takers?

Good point, that's probably how it went down.

princeton
05-10-2004, 01:36 PM
if he was in uniform, then I don't think that he could have been on unconditional waivers the past few games

you're probably thinking of revocable waivers. You can still play if you're on revocable waivers. Those are used in August

M2
05-10-2004, 01:37 PM
So, not to be a naysayer (nay), but will this make a smidge of difference to the Reds' overall success? Was Jimmy holding the Reds back from a NL Central crown?

No more so than Jimmy Anderson did last year.

The roster move should be interesting. I actually hope the Reds don't call up a pitcher. They've got 11 on the active roster. In another thread it was mentioned that Kearns might be ready as soon as Wednesday. If so, maybe the Reds play one game with 24 men and have Austin take that spot.

Doc. Scott
05-10-2004, 01:40 PM
You're right, maybe they won't call anyone up. LaRue can come off the DL on Friday, I think. This is a John Allen-run team, remember.

Lance McAlister
05-10-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm told thru Bats players, that Mike Matthews packed up his bags this morning. The assumption is he's headed to SD to join the team. Details to follow.

princeton
05-10-2004, 01:43 PM
four man rotation, you say?

works for me

if only we had four better men

Doc. Scott
05-10-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm told thru Bats players, that Mike Matthews packed up his bags this morning. The assumption is he's headed to SD to join the team. Details to follow.

Bomb! This is EXACTLY what I hope happens. A second lefty in the bullpen, and one that has experience and consistency on his side.

Redny
05-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Good point, that's probably how it went down.

Actually, as indicated on the Reds site he was just put on the waivers, so they waited for some other reason. Maybe they thought they had another team interested.

smith288
05-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I thought the waiver wire wasnt made public until either someone was picked up or the time ran out?

Chip R
05-10-2004, 01:53 PM
I thought the waiver wire wasnt made public until either someone was picked up or the time ran out?If that's the case it's just a matter of time. ;)

RedsRock
05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
There is actually hope for this franchise yet...

Hey, the Yankees might need a new BP pitcher. Even at 2.5 million for that job, he'd still fit their budget.

Chip R
05-10-2004, 01:56 PM
There is actually hope for this franchise yet...

Hey, the Yankees might need a new BP pitcher. Even at 2.5 million for that job, he'd still fit their budget.
Yeah, but they probably want someone who can throw the ball over the plate. ;)

princeton
05-10-2004, 01:56 PM
I thought the waiver wire wasnt made public until either someone was picked up or the time ran out?

that's true for revocable waivers.

but in a case where a player is being unconditionally released and the team wants his roster spot immediately, the info has to be made public. Otherwise, it looks like there's too many players on the team

Reds Fanatic
05-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Great news. Between this news and the news that Kearns and Larue may be very close to coming back this has been a good day for the Reds.

RosieRed
05-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Here's Hal's article on it:

By Hal McCoy
Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The Cincinnati Reds made their most positive statement Monday since The Great Massacre of last July when they traded away half the franchise and most of the bullpen.

Pitcher Jimmy Haynes is gone, given his walking papers and shown the door with an unconditional release.

It answers a major question on the lips of fans all season: Are the Reds interested in winning or are they keeping a useless pitcher only because they owe him $2.5 million?

General manager Dan O'Brien insisted when Haynes was taken out of the rotation last week that his contract situation did not play into him remaining with the team.

O'Brien made good on that statement Monday.

"We felt it was in the best interest of the organization and, quite frankly, in the best interest of Jimmy Haynes as well," said O'Brien. "This gives him a chance, if he so chooses, to try to hook on with another team and pitch in a rotation. It's best for him."

And it definitely is best for the team.

Haynes was 0-3 in four starts with a 9.82 earned run average after going 2-12 with a 6.30 earned run average in 18 starts last season.

Chip R
05-10-2004, 02:09 PM
judging from recent quotes, he seemed surprised and happy that he was still on the major league roster, and pointed out that he'd recently had a successful bullpen stint so maybe it was a good thing for him
What he said to the media and what he said when the media wasn't around may have been two different things. I don't know. It just seems strange that he was given a reprieve less than a week ago at the big pow-wow but only decided to release him today. If they had let him go then then there would have been a wave of good publicity going into the weekend instead of the media ripping the Reds for basically doing nothing at the pow-wow.

VR
05-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Here's Hal's article on it:

By Hal McCoy
Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The Cincinnati Reds made their most positive statement Monday since The Great Massacre of last July when they traded away half the franchise and most of the bullpen.

Half the franchise eh?
Focusing on being world champs in '03 and '04 can cause such failures in judgement. Half the franchise, wow.

Sabo17
05-10-2004, 02:10 PM
I cant believe this. My birthday is a few days away and the Reds knew exactly what i wanted. Thanks Dan O I can this is the start of another glorious year for me!!!!

princeton
05-10-2004, 02:21 PM
It just seems strange that he was given a reprieve less than a week ago at the big pow-wow but only decided to release him today.

right, that was my point. I was looking for mechanisms. Yours was one, but I don't think that it fit given his quotes. Belisle and Etherton's excellent outings might have been a reason, but not if we're calling up Mathews. Maybe he couldn't get loose, making him beyond useless for a bullpen role. O'Brien's quote suggests that he's a rotation guy

here's an odd thing: I looked at Mathews' numbers over the past five days, and there are none-- he hasn't pitched an out. So if they were evaluating him, it was on the sidelines.

jmcclain19
05-10-2004, 02:22 PM
As a Reds fan, I'm happy that the young arms will get a chance to show their skills.

As a person, feel sad to witness a group of individuals who are downright gleeful and jumping for joy at another person's fall from grace.

Ryan the Reds Fan
05-10-2004, 02:29 PM
I don't think it's that people are happy Jimmy fell from grace, we are happy that the team is "doing what is best" for the team finally and not holding onto someone who has unfortunately fallen from grace. Trust me, we would all be happy with Jimmy if he was winning this team games like he did in '02.

princeton
05-10-2004, 02:31 PM
As a Reds fan, I'm happy that the young arms will get a chance to show their skills.

As a person, feel sad to witness a group of individuals who are downright gleeful and jumping for joy at another person's fall from grace.

1. Mathews and TVP are not young arms by any stretch

2. Redzoners just didn't want Jimmy to pitch so badly for us. Now he can't.

IcyHot
05-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Rest in Peace - Jimmah
2001-2004

Chip R
05-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Maybe he couldn't get loose, making him beyond useless for a bullpen role. O'Brien's quote suggests that he's a rotation guy That could be it. Maybe he was warming up in the bullpen on Sunday and couldn't get loose. Of course he pitched just dandy in HOU. Anyone who went to the game on Sun. see him warming up?

remdog
05-10-2004, 02:41 PM

Gotta' agree there, 19. This was touched upon on another thread. There is a difference between wanting your team to do well and taking joy in one of it's players' failures.

IMO, there are a large number of people on this board that preferr the latter to the former. But, then again, Buzzards p**s on their legs to cool themselves off so I guess this board is their form of p**sing on themselves.

Rem

princeton
05-10-2004, 02:41 PM
That could be it. Maybe he was warming up in the bullpen on Sunday and couldn't get loose. Of course he pitched just dandy in HOU. Anyone who went to the game on Sun. see him warming up?

another idea-- Bong and Shackelford did pitch over the past five days. Maybe they were hoping for one of the young arms to assert themselves. When neither did, they went with the vet in order to buy some more developmental time.

Oxilon
05-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Cudos to the organization.

Thought they'd never release him since that'd cost money, but I'm glad they actually did.

princeton
05-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Cudos to the organization.

Thought they'd never release him since that'd cost money, but I'm glad they actually did.

just guessing that Mathews costs more than promoting a kid. I figure that he's on a split contract, and that the major league portion is for more than the minimum

SirFelixCat
05-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to chime in here...

I think this is a BIG change in philosophy. The Reds have admitted a "sunk cost" and are cutting bait. I credit Dan 'O with this and a HUGE step in the right direction. Kudos to Dan 'O for seeing this and acting on it, as opposed to what has happened in the past with like players :GAC:

And I agree with Ryan-the-Reds-Fan regarding the "glee" at JIMMAH being released. It's not anti-JIMMAH. It's glee that the club is making a move to help itself. Plus, say what you will, but I find it hard to really feel bad for a guy who is going to make $2.5M and not having to report to work ;)

zombie-a-go-go
05-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Gotta' agree there, 19. This was touched upon on another thread. There is a difference between wanting your team to do well and taking joy in one of it's players' failures.

I don't think anyone is taking joy in his failure so much as being grateful that the team is addressing its weaknesses. Jimmah never tried to make a contribution to this team - his physical condition when he showed up to ST proved it, IMO. In the end, he's an employee, he has a job, and his failure to perform was damaging the team. I have also been known to take joy in a co-worker who never pulled her own weight, leaving me to cover her desk over and over again, being fired. I didn't hate the girl, but she was a poor employee, and didn't deserve the money she was making.

Sorry, but if you can't do your job, you don't get to keep it.

KronoRed
05-10-2004, 02:53 PM
No more JIMMAH?!?!

Nooo...;)

Ok wait..how bout TODDIE! for Van Poppel? :D

So long and good luck JIMMAH :D :D :D :D

remdog
05-10-2004, 03:03 PM
I don't think anyone is taking joy in his failure so much as being grateful that the team is addressing its weaknesses. Jimmah...

So, you don't think anyone is taking joy in his failure, do you Zombie? Just look at your own quote. You're a perfect example. Rather than address Jimmie Haynes by his name you are perfectly willing to show your glee at his failure by making fun of him and dis-respecting him by using a 'nick' that was designed and perpatrated to make a ballplayer less than what he is, what we all are, and that is a human being with feelings.

Did he accomplish what we, as Reds fans, wanted? NO! But that doesn't give anyone here on this board the right to treat him like an Iraqui POW.

This is a reply to your post, Zombie but you are far from the only one.

Rem

zombie-a-go-go
05-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Wow. If you would like to see it that way, Rem, feel free to do so, but I have no problem with the man apart from his failure to perform as a Cincinnati Red.

And if his performance on the mound wasn't worthy of mockery, I do not know what is.

traderumor
05-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Rem and others thinking that joy is taken from one's misfortune, as much as I usually ask for sensitivity towards the players and the FO, I just see folks being happy that the team weeded a bad player off his team. I have not seen one person attack Jimmy personally but have only addressed his failure as a ballplayer. I can heap guilt on myself as much as the next guy, but I am glad they made this move and don't feel a bit bad about those feelings :GAC: .

Plus, it ain't like he now has to go to the unemployment office and hope that Kroger is hiring.

Colorado Red
05-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Monday, May 10, 2004

Associated Press
CINCINNATI -- Pitcher Jimmy Haynes was put on waivers Monday by the Cincinnati Reds, who would be responsible for the rest of his $2.5 million salary if he doesn't get claimed.

The right-hander, who agreed to a $5 million, two-year deal in December 2002, is 0-3 with a 9.60 ERA in four starts and one relief appearance for Cincinnati this season. The Reds last week demoted him from the starting rotation to the bullpen.

The Reds first signed Haynes as a free agent in January 2002. He went 15-10 that year to lead the team in wins, starts (34), innings pitched (196 2-3) and strikeouts (126).

But in 2003, he started Cincinnati's season opener and lost 10-1 to Pittsburgh. He finished the season 2-12 with 94 1-3 innings pitched. He was on the disabled list twice and ended his season in early August because of a bulging disc in his lower back.

The Reds were off Monday. They plan to fill Haynes' roster spot before their game Tuesday night in San Diego.

I was hoping Jimmy would of help the Reds pitching situation but it didn't seem like he was. The bullpen is very over worked and the pitchers ERAs have gone up to prove it and many of the Reds wins lately have gone up in smoke. IMO I think the Reds should of release Jimmy this spring when he showed up to springs training out of shape. If they had release him for being out of shape I don't think the Reds would have to pay his salary.

Reds Fanatic
05-10-2004, 03:19 PM
I have nothing against Haynes personally. I rooted for him like I do all Reds players. But what I am happy about is that this organization made a move that they realized needed to be done without worrying about the fact they may lose money making the move. I would have been happy if Haynes had performed well but he didn't so it was time for the Reds to move on.

Team Clark
05-10-2004, 03:20 PM
I just did my first ever backflip!!

Redmachine2003
05-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Wow I didn't know that pitching bad makes your ears go up :lol: :MandJ:
Gives a whole new meaning to stringing someone up by their ears.

4256 Hits
05-10-2004, 03:25 PM
I for one don't really care weather this move happed or not. IMO Haynes most likely one of the Reds best 7 BP guys; mostly likely top 5, better than Reith and Norton. But since alot of his problems in his own doing w/ not comming in shape I don't mind saying dont let the door hit you on the way out.

For all you happy that TVP is starting rather than Haynes just remember that TVP ERA as a starter is around 6.3 which is the same as Haynes had in is horrible year last year.

princeton
05-10-2004, 03:35 PM
I for one don't really care weather this move happed or not. IMO Haynes most likely one of the Reds best 7 BP guys; mostly likely top 5, better than Reith and Norton. .

I think that it's a good point that we aren't replacing him with Mario Soto or even with an average pitcher or a prospect. The replacement is a fringe major leaguer.

Haynes was buying time for us to find a guy with more promise, and doing a bad job of it. It's not clear that the next guy will do any better. Surely he won't do any worse

Rocket_Fuel
05-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Hey Jimmy, we got something for ya! :fineprint

:thumbup: :jump: :) :o :lol: :D :roll: :biglaugh:

YEAH! Party all the time, PARTY ALL THE TIME! :birthday: :GAC:

:bigboom: :haynes: :biggun50:

Party baby! :rock_band

God bless America! :usa:

remdog
05-10-2004, 03:45 PM
TR:

You and I are usually on the same page but, while I'm not unhappy that Jimmie Haynes is gone and I do welcome that apparent acceptance of the Reds FO that they must, at some times, accept 'sunk costs', we differ on the appareant need of some (many?) on this board to vilify players on a personal basis.

I have not seen one person attack Jimmy personally but have only addressed his failure as a ballplayer.

Oh really? The term 'Jimmah' is used derisvely and was never intended to be anything but. Yet, it's a 'happy' name for Haynes and used liberally by a large number of posters here. Much like 'Orcha' for Jimmy Anderson or 'BaBoon' for Bob Boone. The intent is the same....to make fun or the player/manager or portray them as less of a person than the poster. Let's be clear: any player/manager that's in the Bigs has reached a level that 99.8% of the general population can't and will never, ever, reach. And, that's not limited to MLB....that encompasses everyone of us in our chosen profession. Do you address the people you work with by derisive terms?

Make fun of the people involved if you want. After all, everyone here hides behind a keyboard.

BUT! Let me ask everyone on this board: would you say what you say here about a player; would you call that player by the names you call him here if you were standing face-to-face with that player?

Rem

Rocket_Fuel
05-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by jmcclain19

Yeah, we're excited to see a pitcher collapse and cost us games. We all stayed up at night praying that Jimmy Haynes would pitch badly in games and force our offense to score 8 or 9 runs a game. Think about what you just accused people of doing! And what grace, he had ONE good year. ONE! I don't feel bad for Jimmy Haynes because:

1.)He's rich and financially set for life

2.)Someone's going to give him another chance.

wheels
05-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I would definitely have to say Jimmahhh....If I saw him in person.

It's not that big of a deal, really.

I have a friend named Tim, and I've been calling him Timmahhh....For going on five years now.

It's a cartoon character, man!

Rocket_Fuel
05-10-2004, 03:56 PM
By the way, if people are wandering why we're partying because Jimmy Haynes was released, well his career numbers says it all. Also, Jimmy Haynes willingly pitched last year when he knew his back was so bad he would get lit up. But I was willing to forgive him for gutting it out and trying to help the team. So the team DLs him and allows him to get his back back in shape. And how does he respond? By coming into camp out-of-shape. He brought it on himself.

NC Reds
05-10-2004, 03:58 PM
:) :RedinDC: :lol: :mhcky21: :GAC: :biglaugh: :auto: :jump: :jump: :rock_band :rock_band :allovrjr: :rotflmao: :rock_band :usa: :usa: :bigboom: :haynes:

Yea!!

letsgojunior
05-10-2004, 04:08 PM
:GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC: :GAC::GAC::GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC:

traderumor
05-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Make fun of the people involved if you want. After all, everyone here hides behind a keyboard.

Your preaching to the choir, here Rem. I didn't make fun of Haynes, and actually went on a diatribe myself on the derisive terms used against Anderson and recently on "O'Binder". I'm with you on whether or not folks would respond the same way to these personalities if they knew them personally. We all know the answer to that one. But your position is making this into a personal issue, which (excepting a few) the vast majority have not taken part in. I see folks glad that the FO is showing some signs of a change in mentality. Eating a contract when the body is still warm is a new concept for this regime. As I think about it, I would probably avoid the subject with Haynes if I met him because it probably wouldn't be very polite to bring up how bad he has stunk at his job the last two years in a social setting. I am sorry things didn't work out for Jimmy, but it's time for him to find a different line of work. Still, I am glad for the move in the best interests of the ballclub that we both root for. That is not rejoicing at someone else's misfortune, but understanding that some guys will not work out on the team.

LINEDRIVER
05-10-2004, 04:25 PM
I was saying to a co-worker about a week ago that I haven't seen any balls by management this year. Since then, Griffey gets dropped to the 5th spot and Haynes is sent home. ha ha. It's good to have balls.

Aronchis
05-10-2004, 04:29 PM
So thats the end of the ole pioneer. Wonder if we will ever see the tracker again.

Chip R
05-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Memories.... light the corner of my mind... ;)

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162

REDREAD
05-10-2004, 04:45 PM
In all seriousness, I think DanO needed the extra time to think this transaction over
and decide the corresponding move. (Whether it's bringing up Matthews or whatever).

That's one thing that scares me. It takes DanO over a month to make a nonbrainer move
like releasing Haynes and calling up the best retread at AAA.

The guy is not going to perform well at trade deadline time when decisions need to be
made quickly. He'll probably do ok in a situation like Reitsma, when he has all winter
to shop him around and mull over the decisions, but I don't think he'll do well under
a deadline.

At least DanO still has a pulse though, I was wondering...

RedsMan3203
05-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Jimmy Hanyes - Had a carrer year in 2002... he pitched very well for the Reds and did what he had to do... We got what we wanted out of him but at the wrong time... it would be NICE to have the Old Jimmy back and working with this years ball club.. but it just didn't happen.. O'well.. People come and go the MLB all the time... He is just moving on.. I believe Hanyes is the last person left from the "Give them a try Bowden era" He is done.. no longer a Red Leg, so your goodbyes and be nice... He did bring us a few memorys didn't he?

Thanks Jimmy for atleast 1 good year... to bad we couldn't get a few more out of yah.

Aronchis
05-10-2004, 04:57 PM
No, the last person left is Paul Wilson, who's contract is done after this season.

traderumor
05-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Memories.... light the corner of my mind... ;)

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162

Jimmy Haynes' Public Enemy #1?

Milwaukee general manager Dean Taylor considered Haynes' inconsistent on-the-field numbers and concluded that offering arbitration to the five-year veteran would not be "financially prudent.'' Directions to the plank followed and Haynes had no choice but to walk it.

CougarQuest
05-10-2004, 05:20 PM
I suspected that the Reds put Haynes in the BP while they tried to trade him, but still couldn't get any takers. I wonder if O'Brien made a call to Japan, Korea? Give O'Brien credit, he was able to sell the idea of sunk cost to the Reds brass. That could have taken months to accomplish, but he was still able to do it before June.

I suspect we're gonna see a couple of moves within a couple of days.

DJF33
05-10-2004, 06:48 PM
I suspect we're gonna see a couple of moves within a couple of days.

Do you mean inside the organization or with other teams?

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-10-2004, 06:50 PM
No more listening to Marty say: "Haynes with the pitch...AND A DRIVE...WAY BACK IN LEFT...AND IT'S 3-0 (insert team here).

:GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC: :GAC:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Colorado Red
05-10-2004, 07:06 PM
I was hoping that Colorado was hurting so bad for starting pitching that they might claim Jimmy to get the Reds off the hook. Looks like they went in another direction that is cheaper and maybe just as good.

Rockies sign RHP Jarvis to minor league contract

May 10, 2004
DENVER (Ticker) - Kevin Jarvis' search for employment is over.

The Colorado Rockies on Monday signed Jarvis to a minor league contract and assigned him to Class AAA Colorado Springs of the Pacific Coast League.

Jarvis, who spent the 2000 season with the Rockies, appeared in eight games for Seattle this year, going 1-0 with an 8.31 ERA. Designated for assignment on April 26, the righthander was acquired by the Mariners in a five-player trade with San Diego in January.

A 10-year veteran, Jarvis owns a 34-46 career record with one save and a 5.88 ERA in 172 games, including 114 starts, with Cincinnati, Minnesota, Detroit, Oakland, Colorado, the Padres and Seattle.

Updated on Monday, May 10, 2004 6:06 pm EDT

danforsman
05-10-2004, 07:34 PM
I'm going to do myself a favor and bite my tongue, but it's hard after reading someone compare Jimmy Haynes' situation to that of an abused POW. For someone who's criticizing other's use of negative prose, you might want to check yourself.

alloverjr
05-10-2004, 09:11 PM
I was hoping that Colorado was hurting so bad for starting pitching that they might claim Jimmy to get the Reds off the hook. Looks like they went in another direction that is cheaper and maybe just as good.

Rockies sign RHP Jarvis to minor league contract

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have the details handy, but I think that Jarvis is more expensive than Haynes - contract per contract in '04. Although if a player makes it through waivers, any team signing said player pays only the prorated minimum I believe. So no benefit either way for the Rockies. Looks as though Haynes is not on anybody's wish list this summer. ;)

4256 Hits
05-10-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have the details handy, but I think that Jarvis is more expensive than Haynes - contract per contract in '04. Although if a player makes it through waivers, any team signing said player pays only the prorated minimum I believe. So no benefit either way for the Rockies. Looks as though Haynes is not on anybody's wish list this summer. ;)

I believe Jarvis is in the last year of a 3 year 12+ mil contract. IMO one of the worst contracts ever given in baseball.

Cedric
05-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Bell and Pittsburgh have that title wrapped up for life.

Roctober Red
05-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I knew this day would come. Time to celebrate! :GAC: :yipee: :rock_band

4256 Hits
05-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Bell and Pittsburgh have that title wrapped up for life.

I agree and I would also rank both Mo and Greg Vaughn contracts up there. Heck the contract the Rangers are still paying TVP is up there.

cincinnati chili
05-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Very positive sign from the Reds. For what it's worth, I do think someone will pick up Haynes, now that he'll only cost the major league minimum, rather than $2.5 million per annum.

Ron Madden
05-11-2004, 03:09 AM
Why haven't they announced that Matthews is being called up?
Could there be a trade in the works?

Gary Redus
05-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Best aspect of this has already been stated - the FO is willing to admit defeat and suffer the consequences by eating a contract. It shows a commitment to building a team. Perhaps it even suggests that DanO can deal with Allen and his kabal. I hope so. I also have no problem with his thoughtful pace. The organization didn't fall into disrepair over night, nor will it be rebuilt over night. Patience ...

tremere
05-11-2004, 09:04 AM
This is one of the more thoughtful posts I've seen on here in a long, long time. While we would ALL love to see O'Brien pull off that ESPN-highlight trade, it ain't gonna happen. O'Brien has *nothing* to work with, so he is approaching all this in the only fashion he can: deliberately and patiently. I'd venture to say that other GM's are on their toes with Allen and Gang. Bowden screwed a lot of GM's or tried to pull the wool over their heads. Allen was a part of that. It won't happen again.

TeamDunn
05-11-2004, 09:08 AM
This is one of the more thoughtful posts I've seen on here in a long, long time.

Is a long, long time within the last 3 months or is does this include the time you were here under another user name?

RedsFan8978
05-11-2004, 10:06 AM
I woke up this morning, got to work and pulled up the Enquirer newspaper on line....
Then promptly dam near choked on my orange juice with excitement! FINALLY! And they called up another lefty... maybe the FO is finally getting it??? I don't know, I won't get my hopes up...

savafan
05-11-2004, 10:17 AM
As a Reds' fan, I feel that I've earned the right to take joy in Jimmah's dismissal.

But then, that's just me, I also make fun of my co-workers.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2004, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=Far East]Haynes may just call it quits. I recall in the late 50's the Reds releasing veteran LHP Art Fowler. Upon being told of his release, Art said something like, "If I can't make this pitching staff, I don't belong in the game!"

QUOTE]

If you can't make this pitching staff....you MUST be bad!

Matt700wlw
05-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Bring back Jeff Austin!

Marc D
05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
When you are #1 in the HISTORY OF MLB at anything, its quite a feat. Jimmy has the highest career ERA of any pitcher that ever lasted for 1,000 IP in the history of baseball. I think we should all take a moment and reflect on that monumentally dubious achievement and think about the scope and depth of the words" in the history of MLB".

Over 120 years, thousands of pitchers, hundreds of thousands of innings pitched and none was ever worse than Jimmy Haynes.

Needless to say, I personally would give my 6 year old daughter a better chance to be signed by another team this year than Jimmy.

savafan
05-11-2004, 11:21 PM
I just wanna know that when they released Haynes, did they also release FCB's first born?

BoydsOfSummer
05-11-2004, 11:52 PM
ERA ERA ERA IP
1 Jimmy Haynes 5.32 5.32 1185.2
2 Brian Bohanon 5.19 5.19 1116
3 Jamey Wright 5.15 5.15 1055.2
4 Jason Bere 5.14 5.14 1111
5 Jose Lima 5.13 5.13 1211.1
6 Mike Sullivan 5.11 5.11 1123.1
7 Glendon Rusch 5.11 5.11 1033.2
8 Willie Blair 5.04 5.04 1274
9 Chief Hogsett 5.03 5.03 1220.2
10 Darren Oliver 5.02 5.02 1334.1

Careers through 2003. We had Bohannon and Bere also,yikes!

savafan
05-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Don't forget, Bere was here as well.

BoydsOfSummer
05-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Beat me to the edit Sava....lol

I think the days of signing those guys are over. If that's an indication of a plan,hell,I'm all for it.

oregonred
05-12-2004, 01:26 AM
I just wanna know that when they released Haynes, did they also release FCB's first born?

This is a major step for the organization with the recogination of "sunk cost" Given Dan O some credit for convincing Allen et. al. of this fact.

Jimmah was the very definition of putrid, but that will remain the all-time Redszone classic thread.

I don't feel sorry for anyone playing a game who banked a 5M contract and cashed in the paychecks.

...and given how desperate the Reds staff had been in recent years with no big name signee on the horizon, I fell for the bait by wanting him resigned for 2yrs/2M per after the 15 win mirage :dflynn:

tremere
05-12-2004, 10:25 AM
I would take the punishment of having five Jimmy Haynes type pitchers in our starting rotation ANY DAY versus what I saw that Mr. Berg guy go through in that video showing his beheading. For anyone else that has seen the video, are you having problems like me in not being able to "get that image" out of your head? Very disturbing, and stupid of me to even look at the thing.

Chip R
05-12-2004, 10:27 AM
I would take the punishment of having five Jimmy Haynes type pitchers in our starting rotation ANY DAY versus what I saw that Mr. Berg guy go through in that video showing his beheading. For anyone else that has seen the video, are you having problems like me in not being able to "get that image" out of your head? Very disturbing, and stupid of me to even look at the thing.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23070