PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to do this?

FlyingPig
05-23-2004, 08:26 PM
It's not really baseball related, but for the past year, I've really enjoyed reading what ya'll have to say here in Redszone. Reds fans have to be some of the most knowledgeable baseball fans anywhere, and it shows tremendously here. I don't post a lot, but I read nearly every thread and enjoy the banter.

Would it be ok to ask everyone to tell a little about themselves? Where you're from, what you do for a living, how many are old enough to remember the BRM, family? hobbies? stuff like that..

I know a lot of you live in the Cincy area and know each other personally, but some of us only know you from what you type on here. Hope this isn't too intrusive.

As for me, I live in the Charlotte NC suburb of Gastonia, but I lived the first 28 years of my life in West Virginia. I work for a plant that manufactures Freightliner truck parts. I was a teen through the glorious '70's and I get to Cincinnati every year to watch a series. This year. it's the Pirates at the end of June. My other passion is running. I was in Cincinnati 3 weeks ago to run the Flying Pig Marathon in the cold rain!

Let me know who you are! please!
And Go REDS!

:thumbup:

RBA
05-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Of course it's okay. I made it a sticky.

I'll be back.

FrenchD1
05-23-2004, 08:33 PM
I don't mind answering you...In fact, I love to talk about myself.

Born and raised in Hamilton (home of Joe Nuxhall), Ohio. I'm 19 and I am a full time student at Miami University but to pay for that I work part time at Angilo's Pizza (a local pizza chain). I'm obviously not old enough to remember the machine but I love Reds history and know quite a bit about that era. I still live at home w/ my parents b/c it's cheaper than living on campus. I've never met anybody from Redszone personally (I'm fairly new to the site). Hobbies I guess I'd say are all sports (but baseball is especially my favorite). I guess my other hobby is music. I play guitar and piano. That's me in a nutshell.

UKFlounder
05-23-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm 30 years old, for a few more days anyway, so I don't remember the glory days, though I am old enough to remember Johnny Bench as my favorite baseball player ever by far. I still remember being on a family camping trip at Natural Bridge when one of my great-uncles told me that # 5 was going to retire at the end of the season, and then I was at Johnny Bench Night, where I got to see him his his last home run. That's still the greatest single moment I've witnessed at a ballpark, and I'll never forget wanting to go to the 580 gift shop, where they sold home run balls, because I thought they would actually sell that ball there, LOL.

I live in Bellevue Kentucky, a short drive from GAB & work in downtown Cincy. So far, Opening Day has been the only game I've attended this year, but I'm sure I'll get to at least a couple more.

I've not met anybody from this board, as I mostly lurk (only about 300-350 posts in a year and a half), but I really do enjoy the site.

The "UK" in my name is for the University of Kentucky (congrats to UK alumnus Steve Flesch for winning on the PGA tour today), which is where I went to school and I, of course, love their basketball & football teams (though I wish the best for all the sports.)

I also enjoy reading about the Civil War, which has always been a fascinating subject to me, and I enjoy working on genealogy as well.

jmcclain19
05-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey this is a cool idea.

I'll keep it going.

I'm 24 - I work as a design engineer for a defense contractor that makes commerical and military rockets and satellites.

I've followed the Reds my entire life. I have family in the Cincy area, and every summer I'd fly back and catch a few games in Riverfront.

My baseball highlights in life have been going to Riverfront each summer, as well as going to Dodger Stadium each year when the Reds came to town. I also have had the chance to watch Randy Johnson throw 20k's against the Reds, and the thrill of sitting in nosebleed watching the Dbacks win game 7 against the Yankees. Last summer I was privledged to travel to Cincy for a three game set against the Cubs, watching Paul Wilson go mano a mano w/ Kurt Farnsworth.

I went to the Univ. of Arizona, so Wildcat Football is the only other sport that can get my blood boiling. I'm currently going to school for a masters in Mech Engineering.

When I'm not studying, working, watching baseball or Coll. Football, I'm helping my gf run her small business as well as taking care of the small zoo she's accumulated over the last few years.

wally post
05-23-2004, 09:36 PM
I grew up in Cincinnati - went to the 61 world series w the Yankees as a nine yr old. played drums all my life too and still do, now professionally. I live in NYC and work in various studios / do touring / or do teaching- drum clinics or master classes.
my website is www.billyward.com
I write articles for Modern Drumer magazine and I've just released an instructional drum DVD. The Reds aren't in it except for a few shots of me wearing a 1990 Champs shirt and another shot where i'm playing the drums with a Reds beach towel over the toms...oh ... there's a few times I'm wearing a Reds hat. :D
Like many here, I read the posts almost each and everyday - but I post very little. You knuckleheads are far more clever and "on it" than I am! Someday, i hope to be able to meet more of you. Though you might not feel the same as I am what some of you might call a "dreaded liberal". :mhcky21:

wheels
05-23-2004, 10:59 PM
I'll be thirty in less than a week, and I'm not happy about it.

I live in Columbus Ohio with my dog Casey, and my soon to be ex roomate.
I'm an owner of a stupid little restaurant, and I work too much.

When I'm not working, I buy lots and lots of records, go to see bands, and try to make out with my girlfriend as much as possible.

For anyone living in the Columbus area, you can see my picture in next week's Columbus Alive. I wrote a short article about the best local records of all time. It was an excellent opportunity to plug my birthday show at the Ravari Room on May 29.

westofyou
05-23-2004, 11:15 PM
I wrote a short article about the best local records of all time.

"I don't want to die a virgin"

Ronald Koal and the Trillionaires.

missionhockey21
05-23-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm 18, and am graduating high school in a few days! I am attending the University of Dayton in the fall. My free time consists of a multitude of things. I play both ice and inline hockey, have been able to skate it seems like my whole life. I've been in various short lived bands with friends that never seem to last although I love my guitar and its a great therapeutic way for me to relax. I am also a big OOTP nut, been in as many as 8 leagues at once and loved every minute despite it killing all free time of mine. When I am not doing that, I am probably working (disinterested movie store kid ;)) or hanging out with my girlfriend of about two years. I used to pitch and IMO was well above average but I decided to stick with the hockey. I love playing hockey so much yet baseball will always be my true passion. I am not old enough to remember the BRM, heck I wasnt even alive, but I sure remember the 1990 Reds, even got to see us dominate Oakland. If that doesnt make you a baseball fan for life I dont know what will. :thumbup:

And yes! It is defiently ok to do this. :)

Redsland
05-23-2004, 11:40 PM
I moved to Cincy in 1978 at the tender age of 8. The BRM was the toast of major league baseball, but #14 had just moved on to Philly. Arriving here, I was disappointed that we'd missed each other. No doubt he felt the same.

Coming from Toledo, I'd never seen a major league game in person until the day I walked into Riverfront. It was indescribable. Unless you'd been to Riverfront, of course, in which case you know exactly what it was like.

As an adult, you could see Riverfront's faults easily, but as a child, all you saw was the baseball. Green below, blue above, bright scoreboard beyond, and the occasional bugle call urging someone to charge. I was hooked.

These days I make my home in Montgomery, which is a suburb of Cincinnati. Paul O'Neill lives about a mile north of me. Sean Casey lives about a mile west. So I get to see them from time to time at restaurants and such. (For fun, they pretend not to know me.)

By day I work in advertising. By night I either pray for the homeless or drink wine and call talk radio shows, depending on my mood. And I've been pretty moody lately.

CougarQuest
05-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Born and raised in Cincinnnati. I was a kid when the BRM was around. I started collecting baseball cards as a kid in 1969 and that's when I began following the Reds. I remember being crushed when Lee May and Tommy Helms trade was announced. That trade became a very important lesson to me about baseball. Joe Morgan was my favorite player for a long time. I remember Dad waking us up to take us to the airport because the Reds were landing soon from the road trip portion of the World Series. My grandma loved the Reds. She would go to every double header she could, and she always stopped at the store before hand to buy the biggest bag of peanuts she could fit in her suitcase of a purse. She was, as I realized later, as infatuated with the Big Klu as creek is with Dunn. I can still hear her talk about how big his arms were. I learned about Klu from her, as he obviously out of baseball by my time. Marty and Joe being on the radio no matter what we are doing outside or in a vehicle is just a part of life. The Reds are my get-away from my everyday stressors. Oh and my baseball cards that I collected as a kid, I left most of them at home when I moved out, thinking they would be safe, Mom gave them to a neighbor kid. I still have a black and white 3 x 5 glossy photo of Pete Rose that is signed from then. The dozen or so cards that I took with me, my kids have.

WCPizzaGuy
05-24-2004, 01:34 AM
I'm 38, from Trenton, I deliver pizza, and I'm old enough to remember the Reds playing in Crosley Field.

MasonBuzz3
05-24-2004, 02:08 AM
My name is Brian, I am 19 years old and am a student at Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio where I am trying to decide whether I want to be a history teacher and coach baseball or go into the sports marketing world, either way I want to be involved in the great game of baseball for life. I now live in Canton, Ohio and work at Mulligan's Irish Pub in Canton. I was raised in Mason, Ohio and just moved from there last summer. While living in Mason I went to countless games with my friends, buying top 6 and sneaking down into the better seats usually. My screename is pretty simple really, the summer ball team that I played for was the Mason Buzz and I was #3. Now that I am in college my baseball playing days are probaby behind me, but I'll be dominating on the softball fields in NE Ohio. I am not old enough to have witnessed the BRM first hand but have heard the stories from my father. I do remember the 1990 World Series though. Thats basically me, Reds fan for life.

SantaClaussen
05-24-2004, 02:26 AM
I wear a red suit and fly a lot....seriously, I live in Falls City Nebraska (just about where Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska meet) but I was born in 1954 in Cincy and moved to Dayton as a youngster. I saw my first game in 1961 as a 7 year old and remember mostly my dad. About 1965 I really got hooked because I began playing myself, collecting cards and Derron "Iron Glove" Johnson was my favorite then. He was so bad he was a danger to himself in the field but I still loved him - mostly because he could mash the ball. I went to Stebbins HS, and for a year Dayton Chaminade. Ran away in 71 and joined the Marine Corps and wound up in Vietnam as soon as I was 18. Got home in time to see the Reds-Redsox in 75 getting tickets from a friend of friend who wanted to thank me for my service. Only thank you for Nam for about 20 years - somehow we were the disgraceful ones for serving as honorably as we could even if we didn't agree with much of it. Anyway, now I own and run 3 convenient stores and I'm about the only place between KC and Omaha that has Reds caps and Jerseys for sale in his store! You gotta go to a big city store like Champs to get em but I carry them (yeah, Royals, too, but that's a requisite out here). Still love the Reds - tried to get as interested in KC but it just doesn;t work. No team ever replaces the one of your youth, I think, no matter where you end up.

TeamCasey
05-24-2004, 06:02 AM
I'm 29 .... er .... um ..... 38. Raised in upstate NY. Grew up a Yankee fan. Became a Reds fan after a job transfer brought me to the Queen city about 10 years ago. TeamBoone brought me to my first game. I had to love the Reds or I couldn't be her friend anymore. ;)

I work in cell and molecular biology research.

I enjoy camping and fishing and love to get back to NY to taunt the bass population. Best moment is waking up on a lake before dawn. Hot coffee in hand. Dangling your feet into the chilly water. Mist rising. The only sounds are jumping fish and an occasional heron or loon. I envy old Katherine Hepburn on Golden Pond. :)

ballgame16
05-24-2004, 08:43 AM
I am 28 years old and I live in Northern KY about 10 minutes from cincy. I hardley post, but I read this site daily and I have done so for the last 2 years. I love the Reds and in fact was named after a red (name is Johnny he appearently hit a homerun in the '75 world series on the night of my birth) I usually go see 30 to 40 games a year and I am a huge optimist when it comes to my reds. There has never been a red I did not like except for CJ Nitkowski and Kal Daniels cause they did not know when to keep there mouths shut. I am constantly made fun of by family and friends because how much of a optimist I am. As far as things I have seen in person. I seen Mark Lewis's pinch hit grand slam in the '95 playoffs off of Hideo Nomo. I did see 4192 and Barry Larkins 2000th hit.

wheels
05-24-2004, 08:53 AM

You know about Ronald Koal?

wow. That is Major League impressive.

zombie-a-go-go
05-24-2004, 09:13 AM
26, I'm in Worker's Comp (for the time being), and ... ah ... well, let's just say that the biography of my life wouldn't exactly be a NYT bestseller. :)

Roy Tucker
05-24-2004, 10:00 AM

"White Light" roolz...

I'm 51, married, 3 kids, and bore everyone here with stories about my family. Without them I'd be a bum.

Born in Berea OH (outside Cleveland) and had just started to bond with the Tribe when my family moved to Centerville in 1964. I was imprinted with the Reds during the summer of '64 when I experienced the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat during that season.

It seems like I had no choice in the matter, I've been a die-hard Reds fan ever since.

Watched the Reds in Crosley for a few years, all through the Riverfront years, had season tickets 1979-1984 when I was single and had a lot of money (boy did I pick the wrong time), and have been a part-time season ticket holder since '92. Hoping the GAB brings similar experiences and memories.

Been to the playoffs/WS in 1970, 72, 75, 76, 79, 90, 94, and 95. Also the AS game in 1970.

To paraphrase, one constant through all the years has been the Reds.

I work for a large computer storage vendor where they give me a computer lab and tell me to play and come up with stuff. My title on my business card says software architect but I'm just a techno-dweeb-nerd-weenie that likes to futz around with stuff. Someday, someone will find out what I do and show me the door.

WrongVerb
05-24-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm almost 34 (less than 2 weeks) and work as a web programmer. I grew up in Dayton, graduated from Florida State with a degree in meteorology *ducks*, and now live in the suburbs near Washington, DC. I became a Reds fan because of my family, always going to games - I can remember as far back as the late 70's going to games. I went to the final Johnny Bench home game, as well as the game where Pete got 4192. Great memories all.

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm about three weeks short of my 32nd birthday. I was born in Cincinnati during the heyday of the BRM, but my parents covered the wagon, hitched up the horses, and migrated the family to Wichita, Kansas when I was 5. Still, I followed the Reds and Bengals all through school, despite much derision from my ignorant classmates.

I graduated from the University of Kansas and moved to KC, where I currently live with my wife and our two cats, Sadie and Griffey (who has been in perfect health for four years). I work as a technical writer for a GPS company.

I am not telekinetic, nor do I have perfect teeth. However, I play guitar and sing in a terrible 80's cover band called SoopaDry (with umlauts over the o and the r, a la Spinal Tap). We kick serious butt on "Jump Jump" and "Time After Time," but "Total Eclipse of the Heart" still needs work. I love baseball, beer, The Simpsons, The Daily Show, Cartoon Network, Kids in the Hall, Tenacious D, Emo bands, the X-men, and Redszone.

Oh yeah, I write an Onion-style baseball website called The Spitter (although I've been lax in updating it this season). If you like that kind of humor, check it out. If not, please don't visit, get angry, and send me nasty emails. My delicate-flower psyche can't take the abuse.

Buckaholic
05-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Don't really post much here, but long time viewer (probably four years).

I just turned 24 years old. I am a sports writer for a local newspaper and for Bucknuts.com. I played football and baseball in high school by way of our team, and basketball recreationally. I've got a background in broadcasting, as i've had internships and jobs with several radio stations dating back to when I was 17 and a senior in high school. I interned for Munch on Sports with 610 WTVN as well as Sterling. While still in school, I was the PA announcer for our boys and girls high school varsity basketball games. I attended the Ohio Center for Broadcasting over a year removed from HIgh School after never attending Bowling Green State out of school.

I'm a diehard Reds and Bengals fan despite living in Indians country up here in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. Mt. Vernon is an hour northeast of Columbus, and is located in the dead center of the state. As my name would indicate, i'm also a big time Buckeyes fan. I usually attend 3 home games a season. As far as the Reds go, I make it down to 4 or 5 games a year despite being 3 hours away-- although i've not yet been to the new ball park as I didnt make it any last season.

I remember the 1990 season very vividly even as a ten year old. I can remember beginning 10-0 to start the season, the wire to wire victory, as well as the exciting NLCS against the Pirates and the unbelievable sweep over the A's, capped off by Todd Benzinger's catch of that foul fly where Marty so eagerly proclaimed the Reds are world champions.

Edd Roush
05-24-2004, 10:43 AM
I may be the youngest poster on this board at 16, but I love my Reds. I get to go out to a Reds game about once a month. I attend the great Moeller High School and I am very proud of the great Red allumni (Barry Larkin and Ken Griffey Jr.) I live right next to Kings Island so I go there a lot to hang out with my friends. My favorite current Red is Barry Larkin but my favorite all-around current ballplayer is Derek Jeter. Baseball is what I love to do and I love reading about it among this board.

Red Leader
05-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Hey Guys!

I'm 31 years old, and feel about 45 after playing my first softball game ever and first "ball" game since college yesterday. I was born in Columbus but moved to Dayton when I was 2. I've lived in Centerville since the time I was 2 until I went to college at Kent State University and then moved back to C'ville after college. I played baseball at Centerville and Kent. Growing up, my Dad, my Grandpa, and my Great Grandpa loved the Reds, so it was only natural that I followed suit. I can still remember hearing Marty and Joe on the radio at my Grandma's house and my Great Grandpa drinking a warm beer in mid August while listening to them. I am married with a 5 year old son and a 9 month old son. I work for a company that does software support for car dealerships, so I spend all day talking to people at car dealerships (and posting on Redszone.) I have never met anyone from Redszone (yet) but am looking forward to an opportunity in the near future. Boss, mods, I love this site and want to thank you for doing such a nice job with it. Lots of work, but you guys make it look effortless.

Roy Tucker
05-24-2004, 10:50 AM
I played baseball at Centerville...
Tim Engleka was my 8th grade gym teacher. I think it was his first year at Centerville. He built quite the baseball program at CHS.

Red Leader
05-24-2004, 11:00 AM
A couple of other things:
UKFlounder: One of our close family friends, Matt Riazzi was a RB for UK in the early 90's, ever heard of him? He plays football in a European league now. Says he's got 1-2 more years left in him.

MasonBuzz3: My in-laws live in Alliance on S.Haines right across from Alliance HS. Am pretty familiar with the Neighborhood and Doug's classic. I still want to take the "King Kong Challenge" at Doug's but my in-laws say they'd be embarrassed. Next time up there, I'm doing it.

Roy: Tim Engleka was one of the best coaches in the country, I truly believe that, although I didn't think so when I played for him. He likes to toughen you up mentally, which when you are in high school, usually doesn't set well. He made it into the Ohio High School coaches hall of fame a couple years ago and retired. I took my son to a CHS high school playoff game this year and it wasn't the same without Tim standing in the 3rd base box with his clipboard. Truly a great man and a great teacher of the fundamentals and situational baseball.

UKFlounder
05-24-2004, 11:44 AM
A couple of other things:
UKFlounder: One of our close family friends, Matt Riazzi was a RB for UK in the early 90's, ever heard of him? He plays football in a European league now. Says he's got 1-2 more years left in him.

The name seems familiar. If he's the guy I'm thinking of, he was a really good special teams player. That's cool that he's still playing professionally.

Red Leader
05-24-2004, 12:14 PM
The name seems familiar. If he's the guy I'm thinking of, he was a really good special teams player. That's cool that he's still playing professionally.

He was a really good special teams player in his Frosh and Soph years, then started at half back his junior and senior years. He wasn't a Heisman canidate by any means, but was a good player. He's been in Europe for about 7-8 years now (Germany) and loves it. He gets paid above what normal workers make (somewhere around $70,000.00 US) but he's getting up there in years (35) to make a go of it much longer. He said that he'd probably return to Dayton and become a coach once his football career's over.

bthomasiscool
05-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I was originally born in Indianapolis, Indiana on May 28th, 1985. About to turn 19 here in a few days. I attend Kentucky Christian College, majoring in Business (Marketing); hoping to some day get involved in some type of sports marketing. When schools out I come back home to live with the parents here in West Chester, Ohio. I work the night shift 3:30-12:00 at target, the hours aren't too good, but I get to see or hear every reds game still, plus it pays really well. I'm a long time reader, probably spend about an hour or two on here a day, but do not seem to post very often for some reason. I have a girlfriend from West Virginia, thats coming to town for my birthday to take me to a REDS game, so I'm pretty excited about that :thumbup:

Red Flash
05-24-2004, 01:09 PM
I am 41, self employed. Been a Reds fan for 32 years. I am a fan,yes. But a logical and realistic one. I think most Reds fans compare every Reds team to the Big Red Machine or even to the '90 team which totally unfair. They should hold and cherish those teams in their hearts, but cheer Reds teams on for themselves!

maniem
05-24-2004, 02:16 PM
I am 26, and work in the IT industry (specifically in the GIS/GPS fields). I don't post that often, but have read and enjoyed the banter here just about every day for the last 3 years. I currently reside in Indianapolis, but I grew up in Greensburg, IN (about 50 minutes from Cincy). Played baseball for 13 years (high school and legion ball) and have been a die hard Reds-fan since i was 4 years old. Davey Concepcion was my favorite player when i was younger.

Johnny Footstool, what GPS company do you work for?

bucksfan
05-24-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm 38, very happily married for 10 yrs, with a 2 1/2 yr-old daughter around whom our life revolves (and that's a good thing!). Ohio State alum (hence the screen name). Big into Buckeye basketball (I read your stuff, Buckaholic) and football as well as Reds baseball and colleg hoops in general. Love all kinds of music, but really like older Jimmy Buffett, Jerry Jeff Walker, Todd Snider, Indigo Girls, and a lot of the current country stuff. Used to be pretty into heavy metal back in the 80's. We also have 1 golden retriever, 2 cats, and apparently some lonely wild critter (as of last night around 2:30 AM) patrolling our 5 acres. If I had more time I'd build the wiffle ball diamond I keep talking about and make my friends play once a week.

I only get down to Cinci 1x/year or so, but listen all the time. I grew up with the game ALWAYS on in my house. Former season ticket holder for Mud Hens (not this year as 2-yr olds do NOT sit still), I have developed a little fondness for the Tigers as well just from seeing the younger guys play in Toledo.

KronoRed
05-24-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm 23, I live in Kentucky right across from Cincinnati, currently unemployed :D married and I have 2 cats

Wow what a life ;) :D

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Johnny Footstool, what GPS company do you work for?

The big one in Kansas City. ;) Aviation, consumer, and marine products.

Chip R
05-24-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm 23, I live in Kentucky right across from Cincinnati, currently unemployed :D married and I have 2 cats

Wow what a life ;) :D
And how do you pronounce your name again? ;)

KronoRed
05-24-2004, 03:58 PM
And how do you pronounce your name again? ;)

I pronounce it BITE ME :D :D

15fan
05-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Physically, I'm 31. Most of the time, I act like I'm 12 or 13.

I like what my wife says I can like. But that's a good thing. Heck, it's a very good thing, because without her, I freely admit that I'd be a very pathetic human being.

She and I also have the world's most adorable 9 month old baby girl.

Everything else is incredibly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Mitri
05-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Alright, here goes. I'm 24 and currently reside in Columbus. I just learned of this site about 3-4 weeks ago (wheels told me about it) and have been frequenting it in a rather addictive manner since. I've been a Reds fan as long as I can remember. Born and raised in Troy, OH. I usually go to about 5-10 games a year, would like to see more but I work too much. My username is a reference to Dmitri Young, one of my favorite pro players. I have a family in-law who happens to be good friends with Danny Graves (they played HS and College ball together in Florida), if that means anything. I think RedsZone is an excellent site and have learned so much this past month just by reading all the terrific insight. :thumbup:

traderumor
05-24-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm a CPA from Nerk, Ahia and have followed the Reds since the '72 postseason as a clueless 7 year old. My very first Reds memory is "It's in the dirt!!! Here comes Foster, the Reds win the pennant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I started listening on the radio and keeping score of the games in 1973 after getting home from the Little League park. Our lower middle class family vacationed with my aunt and uncle in Blue Ash for 3-5 days and usually caught an evening game followed by a twi-night doubleheader to see the BRM, with a trip to Kings Island sandwiched somewhere in there. The night before vacation would be like Christmas Eve, unable to sleep knowing that I would be watching the best baseball club of all time the next night. My favorite Reds memory was being at a doubleheader against the Giants that the Reds won the first game 14-13 (7/25/74?) when Tony Perez hit a homerun in the bottom of the ninth off Randy Moffitt in one of the nuttiest games I've ever seen. On Nuxie's "Star of the Game" that we heard from all the radios playing around the stadium Doggie answered Joe's question about the HR as "I heet de baw goood, Joe." Our family still says that occasionally after a HR. I got away from baseball during 1991-1998, but have been back to a diehard since being sucked back in by the '99 team and the Griffey trade. Now, I think about, listen to, or watch baseball too much, I think :help:

kxblue
05-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Im a 16 year old student at Indian Hill- Somphmore. I am a big Cincinnati sports fan in general, with the exception of UC (Go X!!). I don't post here often because most of what I have to say has already been expressed. Still, this board has some very interesting insights and understanding of the game.

Red Leader
05-24-2004, 05:14 PM
The name's Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meathooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

:lol: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

Or how about:

Well, my name's Dewey Oxburger. My friends call me Ox. I dont know if you've noticed, but I got a slight weight problem.

Chip R
05-24-2004, 05:19 PM
The name's Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meathooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

:lol: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

Lighten up, Francis. ;)

Roy Tucker
05-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Lighten up, Francis. ;)
Are you talking to me?
Are you talking to me?
Are you talking to me?
Who the hell else are you talking to?
Well I'm the only one here.
Oh yeah? Huh? 'Kay

Red Leader
05-24-2004, 05:48 PM
This is a really great thread and I hope it can be archived in the near future. I'm really enjoying reading about everyone, especially those that I haven't heard from before and even those that I didn't know viewed this board. Sorry if I hi-jacked it with my "Stripes" quotes. I thought it would be funny to post those, but didn't mean to fill up 1/2 the thread with movie quotes. Not trying to insult anyone that followed suit with their own quotes, I would have done the same, but I think its best if we just leave this to those wanting to post their information, so it can be archived, rather than filling up 1/2 the thread with movie quotes. Sorry.

Virginia Beach Reds
05-24-2004, 06:01 PM
30 years old. Currently living 10 mins to the Beach in Virginia. Grew up in Wapakoneta, OH, about 45 mins due North of Dayton. Went to school at the Univ of Toledo, graduating in 1996. Moved to Raleigh, NC, got engaged and then the job moved us here. Golden Retriever named Casey, Collie named Griffey and grey cat named Rose. Currently sitting in the Reds room, a finished room above our garage, filled with Reds stuff all over the place. Getting ready to watch the Reds on the new big screen...HD tv is great!

Been a Reds fan all of my life. As currently being debated on another thread, I refer to the Reds as MY TEAM. Also, a die hard UM fan. Root for the Bengals, but nothing like the passion that I have for the Reds/UM. My life actually revolves around Sat. UM games and Reds games. It is really sad...fortunately, I've been this way my entire life, so it's no surprise to the wife when I feed her the reason why we can't do a dinner date on a Sat when the Reds have a 7:05 game.

Nothing really else...my aunt married John Candelaria when I was a kid...now divorced...so I remember playing ball with the Candyman...had to have married him for his money, cause he had a face only a momma could love. :confused:

Also, somehow have some relationship to former base coach Tommy Helms, so he got me down on the field in the late 80's. Somehow my Grandma knew him or something if I can recall correctly.

Have been on this board since it moved from the cincy.com mess. I am here everyday and count on this site for intelligent exchange of information about my team.

creek14
05-24-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm Cindy, I like romantic dinners and long walks on the beach.

Oh wait, wrong board.

I'm a boring, middle aged, wife and mom. My business card says I'm a Sr. Intelligence Analyst. I think they threw the Sr in there in deference to my advanced age. And I have serious questions about the intelligence part.

Let's just say that yes, I am old enough to remember the glory days of the BRM, and leave it at that.

I can't remember not loving baseball in general and specifically the Reds. It's like breathing.

And I'm starting to develop an appreciation for the Reds leftfielder. ;)

WVRedsFan
05-24-2004, 11:22 PM
I'm an old drunk from West Virginia. I went to my first game in 1961 when I was but a child of 12. That team, BTW, never got any respect, either. When they won the second game of the World Series, all the national press went into shock. It was short-lived as the Yankees won the next three games to win the series. Memories.

During the day, I sell insurance and I hold the distinction of being the only business in my town having cable installed in my office and pay for the Extra Innings package there so I can watch day games (too much of a fanatic, I guess). In an earlier life, I taught junior high school. Gawd, I love my present job :).

I dissed John McKeon on this board and then Bob Boone came along. That should tell you that anything I say should be ignored if at all possible.

I make the trip to Cincinnati at least once every year and have taught my son to love the Reds, too (although I got worried when he came home with Yankee paraphanalia after his recent trip to the Big Apple).

My dream is a World Series championship before I die. I was there for the 1975, 1976, and 1990 championships. Surely my beloved Reds can win another in the next 15 years or so?

Great thread, but I seem to remember doing it once before....oh, well. This is your Reds' Life is a fun thing (now that really dates me).

Super_Barry11
05-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Ok, here we go... I will be 21 years old on July 4th (woohoo :GAC: ) and am going into my junior year at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. I'm a pre-med psychology major, hoping to go into either pediatrics or cancer research. I volunteer at Rainbow Babies Children's Hospital while in Cleveland, and I absolutely adore it; those are my favorite few hours of the week... I just love kids!!

I played varsity softball for Case my freshman year (starting in every game but one at either 2nd base or left field), but took last year off to improve my GPA (it practically killed me not to play, since I've been playing year-round since I was six years old). But this year I'll be back, ready to kick some booty!! :D I can't wait!!!

When not at college, I live with my mom, stepdad, and two spoiled rotten cats (Larkin & Hershey) in Dayton. I enjoy all sports, especially baseball and college basketball (go Kansas Jayhawks!!). I love to read, travel, workout, and watch historical movies and sports.

I've been a huge Barry Larkin and Reds fan since I was nine years old. My favorite moment in sports would have to be when Barry Larkin hit his 30th homerun of the 1996 season to become the first shortstop to be in the 30/30 club.

Oops, didn't mean to write so much... Sorry to drone on and on!!

Austin_Kearns
05-25-2004, 01:00 PM
im 14 years old i live in Hilliard Ohio, (Outskirts of Columbus) been a Reds fan for as long as i can remember, (which isnt as long as you "veteran" fans) but i have a few comments, I dont think that they shouldve gotten rid of Aaron Boone, Griffey shouldnt of dove for that ball, Shouldnt of gotten rid of Eddie Taubensee, Shoulda kept Pokie Reese. well now that thats off my shoulder.... ill write more later Austin Adkins

Tampastar
05-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Being from Tampa, I've known Dave Miley since he was a high school All American. I have been a fan of the minor league clubs he has managed and therefore I now have to say you people have something special going on. We speak occasionally and I can tell you this: he's solid. I find your message board fun and I hope you don't mind me lurking. Oh yeh, I'm 57, still play baseball (Roy Hobbs) and I am in sales.

cumberlandreds
05-25-2004, 06:04 PM
I am 41 years old and married with no kids. I am misplaced Kentuckian living in Northern Virginia. I work for a Federal contractor in DC about two blocks from the Capital. I grew up in Cumberland KY and graduated from Cumberland College in WIlliamsburg. I have followed the Reds since I discovered sports in 1971. I would listen to the Reds every night on the radio and grew up on the Big Red Machine. With Rose, Bench and Perez being my favorite players. My dad would take me up to Cincy about once a year to watch a game,usually a DH. I was spoiled with Reds until 1982 when the bottom fell out and they lost 101 games that season. But I have remained an avid fan. During my time in Northern VA,since 1990, it has been hard to follow them. Usually only got to watch them when they were on the Superstations or ESPN. But this year the DISH network finally offered the MLB Extra Inning package and I have got to watch most of their games. It has been fun getting back to being able to follow them more closely.
I am also a big UK basketball fan. I got my satellite dish just so I could watch most of their games. I also have a big baseball card collection. I have all of the Topps basic sets from 1970 to 1992 except for two cards. I am now working on the 50's and 60's.

cumberlandreds
05-25-2004, 06:16 PM
[ My favorite Reds memory was being at a doubleheader against the Giants that the Reds won the first game 14-13 (7/25/74?) when Tony Perez hit a homerun in the bottom of the ninth off Randy Moffitt in one of the nuttiest games I've ever seen. On Nuxie's "Star of the Game" that we heard from all the radios playing around the stadium Doggie answered Joe's question about the HR as "I heet de baw goood, Joe." Our family still says that occasionally after a HR. I got away from baseball during 1991-1998, but have been back to a diehard since being sucked back in by the '99 team and the Griffey trade. Now, I think about, listen to, or watch baseball too much, I think :help:[/QUOTE]

Here's the box score and game summary for that game. I remember listening to that game on the radio. I though I remembered correctly that the Reds made a big comeback scoring five runs in the 9th to win it. That was one of the wildest games I remember the Reds being involved in. I with I could have seen it. The boxscore is courtesy of Retrosheet.org. Thanks for the post I had almost forgotten this game. :)

Cincinnati Reds 14, San Francisco Giants 13 (1)
Day
Game Played on Thursday, July 25, 1974 (N) at Riverfront Stadium
SF N 3 0 1 0 6 0 2 0 1 - 13 17 2
CIN N 0 5 2 0 0 0 0 2 5 - 14 18 2

BATTING
San Francisco Giants AB R H RBI BB K PO A
Phillips 3b 6 0 0 1 0 2 1 3
Speier ss 5 2 2 0 1 1 1 3
Maddox cf 4 3 2 1 2 0 2 0
Kingman 1b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Bonds rf 5 2 3 2 1 0 2 0
Matthews lf 5 3 2 0 1 0 1 0
Goodson 1b 3 1 2 3 0 0 8 0
Sosa p 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 1
Moffitt p 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
Fuentes 2b 5 1 4 3 0 0 1 3
Rader c 4 0 1 0 1 1 5 0
Caldwell p 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Bradley p 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Bryant p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Thomasson ph,1b,cf 2 1 1 1 1 1 4 1
Totals 44 13 17 11 7 7 26 12

FIELDING -
E: Phillips (8), Speier (17).

BATTING -
2B: Matthews (14,off Borbon).
3B: Matthews (4,off Borbon).
HR: Bonds (13,9th inning off Billingham 0 on, 1 out).

BASERUNNING -
SB: Speier (2,2nd base off Hall/Plummer); Maddox (9,3rd base off Hall/Plummer).

Cincinnati Reds AB R H RBI BB K PO A
Rettenmund rf 4 2 0 0 2 2 1 0
Rose lf 5 1 4 1 1 0 0 0
Morgan 2b 6 1 2 3 0 0 2 5
Bench 3b 6 3 3 3 0 0 2 3
Perez 1b 6 3 2 2 0 1 9 0
Concepcion ss 5 2 4 3 0 0 3 2
Foster cf 4 0 0 1 1 1 1 0
Plummer c 4 1 2 1 0 0 9 0
Geronimo ph 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
Kirby p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Baney p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Crowley ph 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Borbon p 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
McEnaney p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
C. Carroll p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Gagliano ph 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Hall p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Griffey ph 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Billingham p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Driessen ph 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0
Totals 46 14 18 14 4 5 27 11

FIELDING -
E: Plummer (5), C. Carroll (2).

BATTING -
2B: Concepcion (17,off Caldwell); Plummer (5,off Caldwell).
HR: Concepcion (7,3rd inning off Bradley 1 on, 0 out); Bench (18,8th inning
off Sosa 1 on, 1 out); Perez (17,9th inning off Moffitt 1 on, 2 out).

BASERUNNING -
SB: Concepcion 2 (17,3rd base off Caldwell/Rader,2nd base off Moffitt/Rader);
Foster (2,2nd base off Bryant/Rader).

PITCHING
San Francisco Giants IP H HR R ER BB K
Caldwell 1.1 3 0 4 2 0 0
Bradley 0.2 4 1 3 3 1 0
Bryant 2 2 0 0 0 1 1
Sosa 3.1 4 1 2 2 1 3
Moffitt L(4-4) 1.1 5 1 5 5 1 1
Totals 8.2 18 3 14 11 4 5

Cincinnati Reds IP H HR R ER BB K
Kirby 0.2 2 0 3 3 4 1
Baney 1.1 1 0 0 0 0 0
Borbon 2.1 6 0 4 4 0 0
McEnaney 0.1 1 0 3 0 2 0
C. Carroll 0.1 1 0 0 0 0 0
Hall 2 5 0 2 2 1 4
Billingham W(11-7) 2 1 1 1 1 0 2
Totals 9 17 1 13 10 7 7

WP: Sosa (2), Kirby (6), Hall (5).

Umpires: Ed Vargo, Andy Olsen, Bruce Froemming, Paul Runge

Time of Game: 3:20

Starting Lineups:

San Francisco Giants Cincinnati Reds
1. Phillips 3b Rettenmund rf
2. Speier ss Rose lf
3. Maddox cf Morgan 2b
4. Bonds rf Bench 3b
5. Matthews lf Perez 1b
6. Goodson 1b Concepcion ss
7. Fuentes 2b Foster cf
8. Rader c Plummer c
9. Caldwell p Kirby p

GIANTS 1ST: Phillips popped to shortstop in foul territory;
Speier was called out on strikes; Maddox walked; Kirby threw a
wild pitch [Maddox to second]; Bonds walked; Matthews walked
[Maddox to third, Bonds to second]; Goodson singled to right
[Maddox scored, Bonds scored, Matthews to third]; Fuentes
singled to center [Matthews scored, Goodson to second]; Rader
walked [Goodson to third, Fuentes to second]; BANEY REPLACED
KIRBY (PITCHING); Caldwell lined to second; 3 R, 2 H, 0 E, 3
LOB. Giants 3, Reds 0.

REDS 1ST: Rettenmund grounded out (shortstop to first); Rose
grounded out (first unassisted); Morgan grounded out (second to
first); 0 R, 0 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. Giants 3, Reds 0.

GIANTS 2ND: Phillips popped to third; Speier singled to second;
Maddox forced Speier (second to shortstop); Bonds grounded out
(pitcher to second to first); 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Giants 3,
Reds 0.

REDS 2ND: Bench singled to right; Perez reached on an error by
Speier [Bench to second, Perez to first]; Concepcion doubled to
left [Bench scored, Perez to third]; Foster grounded out
(shortstop to first) [Perez scored (unearned)]; Concepcion stole
third; Plummer doubled to left [Concepcion scored]; BRADLEY
REPLACED CALDWELL (PITCHING); CROWLEY BATTED FOR BANEY; Crowley
grounded out (shortstop to first); Rettenmund walked; Rose
singled to first [Plummer to third, Rettenmund to second];
Morgan singled to right [Plummer scored (unearned), Rettenmund
scored (unearned, but earned for the pitcher), Rose to second];
Bench popped to second; 5 R, 5 H, 1 E, 2 LOB. Giants 3, Reds 5.

GIANTS 3RD: BORBON REPLACED CROWLEY (PITCHING); Matthews tripled
to right; Goodson grounded out (third to first); Fuentes singled
to left [Matthews scored]; Rader popped to catcher in foul
territory; Bradley popped to catcher in foul territory; 1 R, 2
H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Giants 4, Reds 5.

REDS 3RD: Perez singled to right; Concepcion homered [Perez
scored]; BRYANT REPLACED BRADLEY (PITCHING); Foster walked;
Foster stole second; Plummer grounded out (third to first)
[Foster to third]; Borbon grounded out (second to first);
Rettenmund lined to left; 2 R, 2 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Giants 4, Reds

GIANTS 4TH: Phillips grounded out (second to first); Speier
lined to right; Maddox singled to second; Bonds made an out to
center; 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Giants 4, Reds 7.

REDS 4TH: Rose singled to right; Morgan singled to right [Rose
to second]; Bench made an out to right; Perez struck out;
Concepcion reached on an error by Phillips [Rose to third,
Morgan to second, Concepcion to first]; Foster popped to first
in foul territory; 0 R, 2 H, 1 E, 3 LOB. Giants 4, Reds 7.

GIANTS 5TH: Matthews doubled to right; Goodson singled to right
[Matthews scored]; Fuentes singled to left [Goodson to second];
Rader popped to third; THOMASSON BATTED FOR BRYANT; MCENANEY
REPLACED BORBON (PITCHING); Thomasson singled to right [Goodson
scored, Fuentes to third]; Phillips grounded out (second to
first) [Fuentes scored, Thomasson to second]; Speier walked;
Maddox walked [Thomasson to third, Speier to second]; C. CARROLL
REPLACED MCENANEY (PITCHING); Plummer dropped a foul fly hit by
Bonds; Bonds singled to pitcher [Thomasson scored (unearned)
(error by C. Carroll), Speier scored (unearned) (error by C.
Carroll), Maddox scored (unearned) (no RBI)]; Matthews grounded
out (third to first); 6 R, 5 H, 2 E, 1 LOB. Giants 10, Reds 7.

REDS 5TH: SOSA REPLACED GOODSON (PITCHING); THOMASSON STAYED IN
GAME (PLAYING 1B); Plummer singled to right; GAGLIANO BATTED FOR
C. CARROLL; Gagliano lined to third; Gagliano ejected;
Rettenmund was called out on strikes; Rose walked [Plummer to
second]; Morgan grounded out (pitcher to first); 0 R, 1 H, 0 E,
2 LOB. Giants 10, Reds 7.

GIANTS 6TH: HALL REPLACED GAGLIANO (PITCHING); Sosa struck out;
Fuentes grounded out (shortstop to first); Rader singled to
right; Thomasson walked [Rader to second]; Hall threw a wild
pitch [Rader to third]; Phillips struck out; 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 2
LOB. Giants 10, Reds 7.

REDS 6TH: Bench made an out to center; Perez grounded out
(second to first); Concepcion singled to center; Foster struck
out; 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Giants 10, Reds 7.

GIANTS 7TH: Speier singled to right; Speier stole second; Maddox
singled to center [Speier scored]; Bonds singled to center
[Maddox to second]; Matthews popped to second; Maddox stole
third; Sosa was called out on strikes; Fuentes singled to center
[Maddox scored, Bonds to second]; Rader struck out; 2 R, 4 H, 0
E, 2 LOB. Giants 12, Reds 7.

REDS 7TH: Plummer made an out to center; GRIFFEY BATTED FOR
HALL; Griffey grounded out (third to first); Rettenmund was
called out on strikes; 0 R, 0 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. Giants 12, Reds 7.

GIANTS 8TH: BILLINGHAM REPLACED GRIFFEY (PITCHING); Thomasson
struck out; Phillips struck out; Speier grounded out (third to
first); 0 R, 0 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. Giants 12, Reds 7.

REDS 8TH: Rose singled to center; Morgan forced Rose (first to
shortstop); Sosa threw a wild pitch [Morgan to second]; Bench
homered [Morgan scored]; MOFFITT REPLACED SOSA (PITCHING); Perez
lined to right; Concepcion singled to left; Concepcion stole
second; Foster grounded out (third to first); 2 R, 3 H, 0 E, 1
LOB. Giants 12, Reds 9.

GIANTS 9TH: Maddox grounded out (shortstop to first); Bonds
homered; Matthews grounded out (second to first); Moffitt popped
to shortstop; 1 R, 1 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. Giants 13, Reds 9.

REDS 9TH: KINGMAN REPLACED MADDOX (PLAYING 1B); THOMASSON
CHANGED POSITIONS (PLAYING CF); GERONIMO BATTED FOR PLUMMER;
Geronimo was called out on strikes; DRIESSEN BATTED FOR
BILLINGHAM; Driessen singled to center; Rettenmund walked
[Driessen to second]; Rose singled to center [Driessen scored,
Rettenmund to third, Rose to second (on throw)]; Morgan grounded
out (first to pitcher) [Rettenmund scored, Rose to third]; Bench
singled to first [Rose scored]; Perez homered [Bench scored]; 5
R, 4 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. Giants 13, Reds 14.

Final Totals R H E LOB
Giants 13 17 2 11
Reds 14 18 2 10

Read Me

KittyDuran
05-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Well, I just turned 45 today (6:56am to be exact). Single (never married) and no kids - which my mom says is the reason I don't look TOO old (husband and kids put 10 years on a woman she says! :lol: ) Lived in Hamilton, Ohio all my life but did go to a boarding school in SE KY for almost 4 years. Been a die hard Reds fan since 1969 and could copy CQ's first paragraph about the Houston trade. I also might be the only fan on this board who went to the library and read a book on baseball to learn more about it... :) I'm the only member in my immediate family who likes the game, with my dad hating it. My paternal grandfather loved the game as well, but didn't think girls should like the game (he called me "a queer gal" because of it - which of course mortified me). The only times we went to games was my b-day, if my dad had some overtime money left (he was a cop) or we got free tickets. It was always exciting to go to a game because my dad didn't like to eat at the park so we would eat out (rare when I was growing up). Then we shared pop and peanuts at the park, and would buy a program for me. The first game was 8/31/71, dad bought tickets at Clark's Sporting Goods on "B" Street. First row green right behind home plate. My family still laughs at how I was acting. I barely talked, kept squeezing the program, and had to be forced to go to the bathroom during the stretch because dad said we weren't going to stop on the way home. I didn't want to leave (the Reds won) and remembered staring out the back window at the stadium all lit up.

Living close to Cincinnati meant that even if you knew absolutely NOTHING about the specifics of the game of baseball - you knew some very important things, like where Crosley Field was, Opening Day (because some kids would be out of school and the parade highlights on the news), and Pete Rose. Was told about Nux and Smokey Alston before I had a clue. Since I'd only seen two pictures of catchers (Yogi and Lombardi) I thought that they took the uglist player to put on the mask to hide their face - that changed when I saw a pic of Bench. :luvu: Other things that brought about the obsession: 1) the least static AM radio station after 6:30pm was WLW and I would listen to that and fall asleep, 2) a kid up the street had a stack of cards for 25 cents- on top were James Bond and on the bottom were the Monkees - which was the reason I bought them, got home and the rest were baseball cards, 3) Riverfront Stadium was going up, and 4) I was starting to become a teenybopper and David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman were too far away.... :)

FlyingPig
05-25-2004, 08:38 PM
wow..thanks for all the answers to my thread..all those people answering with less than 100 replies was great! There some great fans lurking out there in the shadows! :)

And KittyDuran..yours was awesome! The AM static thing brought back some memories..

KittyDuran
05-25-2004, 09:26 PM
And KittyDuran..yours was awesome! The AM static thing brought back some memories.. Most of the AM radio stations at that time played some music - but the station that me and my sisters listened to was the "old" WSAI (1360 AM) (which is where HOMER the sports talk station is). WSAI is now back (at 1530 AM) playing the oldies again! I received an avocado green tabletop AM radio for my 8th b-day and would turn it on real low. I marked in the plastic where WLW and WSAI was. I took it to HS boarding school and it worked better than the other girls fancy AM/FM radios! But I still used my transistor under my pillow to listen to the 1975/1976 WS (dorm rules). :)

DunnersGrl44
05-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey Yall my name is Christine, I am 19 years old and I am going to be a junior at Ohio State University in the fall. I played Varsity tennis my freshman year and i realized that I sucked at it, and i didn't get to play very much. I was the Willy Mo Pena of the Buckeyes, except I don't have a bright future in the game...... But anyways i am a Finance Major and I have been insanely obssessed with the reds for about a year now. I have attended 4 games. I love the atmosphere of the ball games, and i think it is great that the Reds are playing well this year!
I love coming to Reds Zone cause i like to hear other people's perspectives and i am a student of the game and i am always trying to learn more!

knuckler
05-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Geographically I'm the anti-Johnny Footstool -- born in Wichita but over time migrated to Cincinnati. My biggest stop along the way was growing up a big Cardinals fan in Missouri where I learned to love Whiteyball and the NL, and my earliest baseball memories were listening to Mike and Jack on the radio in the 70's and 80's. After college in Indiana I got a job as a mechanical engineer in Cincinnati just in time for the 1990 wire-to-wire season, but honestly I was more interested in drinking beer and chasing women to pay much attention back then. I really got into the Reds in 1999 when I spent a lot of late nights listening to Marty and Joe while rocking my first kid to sleep, and you've gotta admit that was a fun season. I'm an engineer from the Show-Me state so sabermetrics has a lot of attraction for me, but its also important to me that guys like Griffey, Casey and Larkin are good family men that my kids can grow up admiring.

Chip R
05-26-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm Chip - yes, that's my real name... well not my real name but it's on my checks and stuff so that's good enough. I'm the guy who closes all the threads around here. ;) I grew up in a small town in Iowa and have been a Reds fan for over 30 years. I remember seeing pictures of the Rose/Harrelson fight in the 73 NLCS in the newspaper. I thought Rose was a funny name for a ballplayer. Then I found out he had teammates named Gullett, Bench and Geronimo. I remember following the 74 NL West divisional race in the paper and was very sad when the Reds lost. Needless to say I was very happy the next two years. Around that time I remember fiddling with my AM radio one night and I actually picked up the Reds on the radio. And they weren't playing the Cubs or Cardinals either. I was in heaven. I wondered why I couldn't get any signal the next morning but I quickly deduced that I couldn't get it during the day. So for the next 20 some years I would wait till it got dark and wait for some kind of a signal on WLW. And when I got the signal it would be a mild form of torture trying to get a score from Marty and Joe. I would follow the Reds through the Sporting News - until their baseball coverage went into the toilet - and my local paper. We didn't have cable in our house so while I was living with my parents and the Reds were on TBS or WGN I would drive 15 miles to my grandparents' house and watch the game with them. If I was at college I'd go down to the bars and watch it there. Moved out here in September of 99 - which is another story in itself - and heve lived here since. I wouldn't say I'm a student of the history of baseball but I enjoy reading about it and that is one of the reasons - besides the beer after the games ;) - I play what we call Vintage base ball which you may heve seen me pimping the last two weeks. I enjoy going to Reds games with my buds here on the board and quaffing a few beers with them before games.

Sweep90
05-26-2004, 03:57 PM
I'm 32. Born and raised in California. Currently living in Manhattan Beach and working as an electrical engineer.
I started really following baseball when Kurt Stillwell made the Reds. My brothers knew him from high school and his dad was (maybe still is?) a teacher there. The local paper started carrying Reds box scores in addition to the Dodgers & Angels and I became a fan.
I when to college in Northern California (Chico State) and thoroughly enjoyed the 1990 sweep of the A's up there. I had a 6-pack per game bet going for that series :)
Reds are still #1 in my book but I dislike the Dodgers a lot less now that they aren't in the same division. I got to a lot of Dodger games and travel to other cities to check out other ballparks when I can. Need to get to Cincy sometime this year.

redsrule2500
05-27-2004, 07:45 PM
I am 16, started posting here at 14 hahaha :eek: ....This is a cool place, I live in Cincinnati Area, and come here for interesting Reds Talk!

Favorite Reds Player since '99 = Sean Casey

Brutus_the_Red
05-28-2004, 08:44 AM
I'm 21 years old, going to be 22 in november. Born and raised on the west side of dayton (brookville to be exact). I left Dayton after high school and went to ohio state for 2 years. While there, I changed majors from pre-med to education after some serious soul searching. I left Ohio State when my financial resources had run dry. I'm currently back in dayton, working, and trying to afford some schooling.

The reds are a passion of mine that many of my friends do not understand. I refuse to go out if a game is on tv, unless we go to a sports bar where i can watch the game. i'm constantly trying to convince my friends to go to games.

I can't really remember my first reds moment, but its a sickeness that's run through my family for about 4 generations. :thumbup:

dman
05-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Grove City, Ohio native. Work as a State Trooper in the Great State of Ohio. 32 yrs old. Lifelong Reds fan. My little league baseball coach was a high school classmate of Eddie Milner and they played on the Marion Franklin H.S. baseball team together. Favorite Reds moment: Hands Down, the 1990 World Series, when the Reds swept the "Bash Brothers" (McGwire and Canseco).