View Full Version : Middle infield help as well

Red Leader
06-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Starting lineup:

2B: Brian Roberts, BAL
SS: Derek Jeter, NYY
MI: Orlando Cabrera, MON
DL: Marcus Giles, ATL

Situation: Roberts got off to a phenominal start to the season, then went into a horriffic slump which he is just now coming out of. Speaking of horriffic slumps, Jeter is just coming out of his as well. Cabrera? Still struggling. 3 HR and 13 RBI on the year, along with 7 SB. Giles probably won't be back until after the All-Star break.

Jerry Hairston, Jr is available. I was thinking of dropping Cabrera to pick him up. Jerry has only 64 AB's and already has 1 HR, 13 RBI and 5 SB's. Should I drop Cabrera. MON's lineup has been awful and Cabrera has been equally bad. Hairston would be insurance for me should he take Robert's job, and also could be a steal if he is traded to NYY or another high caliber offense like that.

Thoughts?

Johnny Footstool
06-01-2004, 04:03 PM
I like Hairston. Baltimore's offense is very solid right now, so he'll get a lot of Runs and RBIs. And, as you mentioned, he's also a prime candidate to be traded to the Yankees.

Red Leader
06-01-2004, 04:16 PM
The one problem I have would be IF Orlando Cabrera turned it around. Cabrera is usually good for about 15 HR and around 25 SB's. Last year he had close to 100 RBI. I don't expect Hairston to come anywhere close to those power numbers. I believe his career high in HR is 8 or 9 and his career high in RBI is in the 60's. He should provide the same speed, however. That's the bad part, the loss of power.

The good part is that if he is dealt his value increase. Also, if Roberts goes into a significant slump and Hairston replaces him, I will already have his replacement on my roster. I only need to find a hot player until Giles comes back after the All-Star break, then I need to play Giles at 2B, Jeter at SS and one of Roberts, Hairston or Cabrera at MI. 6 more weeks til Giles gets back!

EDIT: Cabrera usually hits ATL pitching very well. I'm going to give him until the end of the ATL series to get it going. If he's still struggling or not even appearing to come out of his slump, I'll go get Hairston, but I'd like to give Cabrera just a little more time. He's not injured that I know of, and he really is a good offensive SS.

MuEconRedLeg
06-02-2004, 01:18 AM
I dont expect any of the Expos to put up great RBI R, numbers. I would grab Jerry.