PDA

View Full Version : RedsFest Cancelled for the next 2 years...

KittyDuran
06-01-2004, 02:59 PM
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/sports/3368501/detail.html

Redsfest Canceled For 2004, 2005
Convention Center Renovations Cited
CINCINNATI -- The off-season fan convention hosted by the Cincinnati Reds each year will not be back following the 2004 and 2005 seasons, the team announced Tuesday.

The team canceled Redsfest for the next two years because it cannot find an indoor space big enough to host it, WLWT Eyewitness News 5 reported.

Redsfest was held the last eight years at the Sabin Convention Center in Cincinnati, but it won't be available the next two years because of renovations.

"Redsfest occupies more than 190,000 square feet of space," said Reds director of marketing Cal Levy. "Existing facilities in Northern Kentucky and Sharonville aren't that big, and the part of the downtown convention center that is available to us measures only 70,000 square feet over two floors."

The Reds have had discussions with convention center officials about a date for Redsfest 2006, according to a statement from the team.

Stay tuned to WLWT Eyewitness News 5 and ChannelCincinnati.com for complete coverage of the Reds.

RosieRed
06-01-2004, 03:01 PM
:thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

zombie-a-go-go
06-01-2004, 03:02 PM
:thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

What she said.

(Nice way to commemorate your 1k post, btw ;) )

Doc. Scott
06-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Uh, well, how about they, uh, MAKE IT A LITTLE SMALLER?

RedFanAlways1966
06-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the stadium! No more REDSFest needed... we got what we wanted (the GABP!).

Feel the screw turn... turn... turn... :mhcky21: :mhcky21:

REDREAD
06-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Well, you wouldn't expect the Reds (Allen) to be able to think outside the box and come up with an alternative?
It's easier just to sieze the opportunity to cancel it when you have a convienent
scapegoat. It's not a revenue generator anyhow, so it's low on Allen's list of priorities..

zombie-a-go-go
06-01-2004, 03:14 PM
It's not a revenue generator anyhow, so it's low on Allen's list of priorities..

Bingo.

Eric_Davis
06-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Lindner is such a ....

1990WorldChamps
06-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Bad PR. Pretty much par for the course for these guys.

Eric_Davis
06-01-2004, 03:23 PM
The space is available, if Lindner wants to find it:

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2004/03/01/story5.html

"According to Pitstick, two distribution centers in West Chester and one in Fairfield have stood empty on the market for more than 18 months. All are more than 400,000 square feet."

I'm sure something could be worked out.

"The property is owned by Industrial Development International, an Atlanta-based industrial real estate developer with offices in Covington. Doug Armbruster represented IDI locally."

Do I need to get you their phone number, too, Carl? :mad:

Chip R
06-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Well, you wouldn't expect the Reds (Allen) to be able to think outside the box and come up with an alternative?
It's easier just to sieze the opportunity to cancel it when you have a convienent
scapegoat. It's not a revenue generator anyhow, so it's low on Allen's list of priorities..
They can't use the US Bank arena? It's not like they have a hockey team playing there or anything. The front office that couldn't shoot straight strikes again. The Reds are playing very well and are in 1st place. Jr. is looking like the Jr. of old and now they drop this little stink bomb. :thumbdn:

Carbofan
I do not know why they could not move it to Columbus for the next 2 years. I know it is out of town, but they do have many Reds fans and plenty of room. It is just such a cop out without exploring all options to the fullest. This really frustrates my daughter and myself!!!

Redsland
Uh, well, how about they, uh, MAKE IT A LITTLE SMALLER?
Brilliant!

By the way, Boss, given your renewed focus on profanity, this news couldn't have arrived at a worse time. :rant:

:) :GAC:

Eric_Davis
06-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Brilliant!

By the way, Boss, given your renewed focus on profanity, this news couldn't have arrived at a worse time. :rant:

:) :GAC:

:MandJ:

UKFlounder
06-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Hopefully this somehow ends up like the "we tried to re-sign Barry Larkin but he wanted too much money" press conference from the end of last season, and something gets worked out. The USBanc (or whatever its name is today) Arena suggestion seems like a good one.

Honestly, I've not attended RedsFest in the past, so it's not a real big issue to me, but this does seem like some really bad PR at just about the worst possible time.

TeamDunn
06-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Paul Brown Stadium? They have a pretty huge section in there where they rent out space for parties. The enclosed area goes all the way around the field.

Time to start writing letters!!

marketing@reds.mlb.com

Redsland
06-01-2004, 03:34 PM
US Bank Arena is right next door to the ballpark (batting cages!) which is right next door to the front office (autographs!) which is right next door to the Reds Hall of Fame (memorabilia!). Do it there or scale it back for two years. :idea: :mad:

djeternal
06-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Hmmmmm.......maybe the 'space' they are talking about is the lack of one in their budget to do any thing worthwhile......

Just hope the Reds keep on winning!!!!!

Chip R
06-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Time to start writing letters!!

marketing@reds.mlb.com
C'mon, you know that e-mail will just bounce back. ;)

Roy Tucker
06-01-2004, 03:39 PM
I would think that moving it to Columbus, Dayton, Lexington, Indianapolis, or Louisville would be a good PR gesture both from the standpoint of attempting to woo fans from that city and also the continuance of RedsFest (I'm assuming these cities have convention facilities sufficiently big enough).

I would imagine there would be logistical problems moving it 50 miles away but not insurmountable.

A completely seat-of-the-pants statement, but I don't think the US Bank Arean would be big enough. Don't know about PBS.

gm
06-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Take that weekend and patronize the new Red's museum, instead. I'm probably the worst Red's fan to offer empathy in this regard, since I've never attended a RedsFest and I'm not likely to visit the Queen city in the near (or far) future.

(Free Blazer "scrimmages" are more my style, although I did shell out a few bucks to see 'em absolutely toast the Celtics, a few months back)

creek14
Reds Marketing Dept email (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/help/email.jsp?c_id=cin&primarySubject=Other&secondarySubject=Marketing&dest=marketing@reds.mlb.com) Of course Reds Marketing is a bit of an oxymoron.

Write the Reds:
Cincinnati Reds
100 Main St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Call the Reds:
(513) 765-7000

TeamCasey
Gotta admit. This is a dorky one. :whack:

TeamDunn
06-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Do the Reds lose money on Redsfest?

What costs do they have other than the rental space...do they have to pay the players to be there? Pay for their travel and stay? Pay their employee's?

Is it $5.00 a day to get in? Does that cover expenses?

The revenue it brings the city in the form of hotel stays, food & beverage and parking should get them some kind of break along the way???

traderumor
06-01-2004, 03:43 PM
scapegoat. It's not a revenue generator anyhow, so it's low on Allen's list of priorities..Wasn't it his idea? :confused:

Chip R
06-01-2004, 03:46 PM
I would think that moving it to Columbus, Dayton, Lexington, Indianapolis, or Louisville would be a good PR gesture both from the standpoint of attempting to woo fans from that city and also the continuance of RedsFest (I'm assuming these cities have convention facilities sufficiently big enough).

I would imagine there would be logistical problems moving it 50 miles away but not insurmountable.

A completely seat-of-the-pants statement, but I don't think the US Bank Arean would be big enough. Don't know about PBS.
I doubt moving it to one of those cities is going to be worth the expense in taking it there. Besides, the folks from around here make up the vast majority of fans so taking it somewhere else would be a slap in the face to them.

If US Bank Arena is big enough to have hockey games and tractor pulls, they can most certainly have Reds Fest.

TeamDunn
06-01-2004, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=creek14
Call the Reds:
(513) 765-7000[/QUOTE]

We should organize calling schedules for the locals. Each hour and half hour during business days we bombard them. :mhcky21:

TeamDunn
06-01-2004, 03:47 PM
If US Bank Arena is big enough to have hockey games and tractor pulls, they can most certainly have Reds Fest.

US Bank arena has a lot of seating...but their floor area is not really that big. I think it would be cramped in there.

creek14
06-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Thank You

Thank you for sending your questions or suggestions. Your experience is important to us! The Cincinnati Reds will review your email and get back to you very soon.

Yeah I won't be holding my breath for that email.

creek14
06-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Besides, the folks from around here make up the vast majority of fans so taking it somewhere else would be a slap in the face to them.

You have obviously never tried to drive north on 75 after a game. It doesn't thin out until Dayton.

zombie-a-go-go
06-01-2004, 03:54 PM
I've never been to RedsFest before... how large is it, anyway?

Eric_Davis
06-01-2004, 03:58 PM

Apparently 190,000 sq ft. :) ,....non-negotiable.

Caseyfan21
06-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Why not scale down Redsfest and spend maybe three weekends and have a smaller Redsfest in say, Dayton, Columbus, Lexington, or Indianapolis. Pick three locations and have a smaller event so they could combine the caravan and Redsfest together. This would probably be a bit more costly and more of a hassle, but it would have greater fan attendance as it would be coming out to the fans. Cincinnati fans could make the trip to Dayton, so they wouldn't be left with too long of a ride, and other fans from further away could attend with much more ease. Probably not a realistic idea, but I thought it was worth throwing out there.

I forgot to add that the Redsfest could spend a Friday night/Saturday at each location, and players could come as possible. I'm sure it could be worked out that a couple big names highlight each stop on the tour. Minor players could fill out so each city could have a nice autograph selection for people interested in that.

Chip R
06-01-2004, 04:15 PM
US Bank arena has a lot of seating...but their floor area is not really that big. I think it would be cramped in there.Yeah, it probably would be. But there are several ways to do this without having to cancel it. Using the Westin could be a good idea. You'd have to break things up in different areas but I'm sure it could be done.

This is starting to sound an awful lot like that HOF fiasco. The Reds said that they didn't have the money to complete it this year and people got angry. Then Carl rides in on his white horse and says, "Get it done." I can just see Carl come in a couple of days from now and tell them to "Get it done." Such is PR for the Reds. Tick people off and then have some one come in and save the day.

KronoRed
06-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Well that stinks..ditto on the BOOOO :thumbdn:

letsgojunior
06-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Just ridiculous :thumbdn:

TeamDunn
06-01-2004, 04:19 PM
The city will chime in with something to solve it. Probably Ms. Reese herself (insert eye rolling).

If news gets out that events can't be handled here because of the convention center being renovated then other groups that have annual things here at the convention center will begin looking at other areas. They will find a solution for those groups and probably the Reds if the outcry from the fans is loud enough.

Chip R
06-01-2004, 04:21 PM
The city will chime in with something to solve it.Oh, God, that's even worse. :eek:

RosieRed
06-01-2004, 04:39 PM

It's pretty big. There are a gazillion turnstiles to deal with ... lines for getting tickets to get autographs, then lines for actual autographs and photos. Plus there are a lot of vendors, Reds-related booths, kids' activities, and the big seating area for the Reds Q&A's and whatnot.

It is not, however, so big that it couldn't be held somewhere else. :rant:

Sigh. I still can't get over this. Guess I'll start my letter-writing campaign tonight. Thanks for the e-mail address TeamDunn and Creek!

snowstorm
06-01-2004, 05:47 PM
More bad PR for the Reds. How surprising. :rolleyes:

When I first heard this news that it was being cancelled due to a lack of space, I thought "baloney". There's plenty of facilities big enough to hold this event. What about the Cintas Center? What about Shoemaker Center? What about US Bank Arena? If the Reds really wanted to hold this event, they could find a facility for it. I just named three of them.

Reds4Life
06-01-2004, 06:22 PM
The Reds never cease to amaze me with their bumbling idiotic moves. Amazing, totally amazing. :thumbdn:

Matt700wlw
06-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Yet another in a long line of Reds PR blunders, horrible timing, and more proof that the fans do not matter and only finances do.

Hope they're happy :thumbdn:

Red Flash
06-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Yet another sign management will do jack crap on or before July 31st!

-Long live the 1st Amendment!-

Chip R
06-01-2004, 07:09 PM
-Long live the 1st Amendment!-
If you have a problem abiding by the rules of the board, I'm sure some other board will be more hospitible to your passion for the 1st Amendment.

IslandRed
06-01-2004, 07:28 PM
If the event actually needed 190,000 square feet, to whip up some math for a moment, that's roughly the size of four football fields. Not many facilities have that space in total, much less contiguous.

So what would you do? Have it scattered into multiple facilities? Cancel some of the stuff that requires a lot of space? Limit the number of available tickets? Not taking a position one way or the other. Just askin'.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Why would the Reds FO work for something when they can just throw in the towel and say the hell with it?

remdog
06-01-2004, 07:39 PM
This is a pretty good example of the knee-jerk reaction the Reds often get on this board from people that don't have any idea what they're talking about. Sorry if that sounds harsh but, IMO, it's true.

I work over 50 events per year and the logistics involved are complex. Replacing a 190,000 square foot venue isn't easy. Besides the square footage, things like labor contracts, staffing (both permanent and temporary), dates, compeating events, exclusive contracts and things as mundane as food and bathroom facilities come into play. Throw in things like personal appearances, sponsorship, advertising deadlines, etc. and you get a lot on your plate that doesn't appear to the casual attendee.

If the Reds went ahead and did a half-assed job of RedsFest for the next two years I have no doubt that the hue and cry on this site would be what terrible marketers they were. Some people will always take the negative tract and that's just the way it is.....(shrug).

I did two events last year that I wrote negative reviews on and recommended that we not do them again unless certain changes were made: one was the 2003 NCAA Track & Field Championships which was a precursor for the 2004 Olympic Trials. The other was the JP Morgan Open Tennis Tournament at Home Depot Center in Los Angeles. Both of these events take place in July and, up until about two weeks ago, we (meaning Marriott) opted not to sponsor them again because these two events had not satisfied what we considered to be minimum requirements for an enjoyable customer/sponsor experience. So, even though the facility was 'available', it took 10 months to iron out the other problems. Starting from scratch, looking for a new venue would probably take even longer and, IMO, the Reds are smart to announce the RedsFest interuption now and let the blame fall on the convention center. If they can successfully find a suitable venue, with the required facilities, they will look like heros.

Doing an event in less than optimum circumstances is simply doing more harm than good because it is human nature that people will remember the negatives long after the effort to keep the continuity. Both of the above events have now corrected enough of the problems that Marriott (as well as other major sponsors that made the same complaints) will be doing these events this year. But, it took 10 months to iron out the details at venues that were already in place. Trying to find a new venue that not only has the space but the ancilary facilities, the staff, the dates and (maybe most importantly) the the attitude to make an event a positive experience for the patron is much more dificult.

I would not be surprised if, down the road, the Reds announce that they've found a way to do RedsFest '05/'06. But, IMO, in case that doesn't happen, they are better off announcing a postponement now rather than later. It's been common knowledge that the convention center has been unavailable for conventions during this time period so not having enough for RedsFest isn't exactly a surprise.

Rem

Chip R
06-01-2004, 07:42 PM
If the event actually needed 190,000 square feet, to whip up some math for a moment, that's roughly the size of four football fields. Not many facilities have that space in total, much less contiguous.

So what would you do? Have it scattered into multiple facilities? Cancel some of the stuff that requires a lot of space? Limit the number of available tickets? Not taking a position one way or the other. Just askin'.
I think it would not be too difficult to book one of Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky's finer hotels for this. One of the larger meeting rooms could be used for the Q&A and Games and Reds Jeopardy. Other smaller meeting rooms can be used for autograph and photo sessions. Suites can be used for the memorabilia hawking. I don't know anything about what kind of space would be available for this. I do know that there is a lot of open space on the floor at Reds Fest. Particularly over by the autograph and photo areas.

Matt, I know you like to see cheapness as a motive in everything the Reds do but if they wanted to save money, they would have cancelled Reds Fest several years ago. Chalk this one up to incompetence and lack of foresight.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Matt, I know you like to see cheapness as a motive in everything the Reds do but if they wanted to save money, they would have cancelled Reds Fest several years ago. Chalk this one up to incompetence and lack of foresight.

That works too

dman
06-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Columbus has not only Nationwide Arena, but the Greater Columbus Convention Center and Schottenstein Arena that the event could possibly be held at. Yes it is away from the Queen City, but there are a lot of Reds Fans in Columbus including myself.

IslandRed
06-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I think it would not be too difficult to book one of Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky's finer hotels for this. One of the larger meeting rooms could be used for the Q&A and Games and Reds Jeopardy. Other smaller meeting rooms can be used for autograph and photo sessions. Suites can be used for the memorabilia hawking. I don't know anything about what kind of space would be available for this.

I just did a Google check for fun... I may be missing some bigger facilities, but the largest hotel meeting space I found was the Hyatt Regency with about 33,000.

Chip R
06-01-2004, 08:30 PM
I just did a Google check for fun... I may be missing some bigger facilities, but the largest hotel meeting space I found was the Hyatt Regency with about 33,000.
Is that just for one room or would that be for the whole hotel?

remdog
06-01-2004, 08:36 PM
That was cute, Chip. :)

Rem

Chip R
06-01-2004, 08:50 PM
That was cute, Chip. :)

Rem
I wasn't trying to be cute. I just asked if that is the largest area they had available or if that included the largest area with other meeting rooms, ballrooms, etc. Since you are the hotel expert, Rem, perhaps you could answer my question.

creek14
06-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm not Matt, but I dated one once.

And I don't totally agree with your statement. Well I do agree with the incompetence and lack of foresight part.

But maybe someone in the FO is smart enough (slim chance) to realize that if they have another fire sale this July the fans will go ballistic. So let's think of other ways to cut costs. Well we can use those 2003 cups and wow look at this stroke of good luck, the convention center is being rehabed. Hey we can say we can't find any other place to have RedsFest and save a few thousand there.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2004, 09:02 PM
But maybe someone in the FO is smart enough (slim chance) to realize that if they have another fire sale this July the fans will go ballistic. So let's think of other ways to cut costs. Well we can use those 2003 cups and wow look at this stroke of good luck, the convention center is being rehabed. Hey we can say we can't find any other place to have RedsFest and save a few thousand there.

I don't know, that seems rather complicated for them...

remdog
06-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Gee Chip, here I am trying to give you credit for being funny. My bad, I guess.

Sure, I can answer your question. Go to www.marriott.com or www.spg.com or www.hyatt.com, etc., etc., etc......All the info you need is there.

Of course, I would recommend that you first read my previous post. There is a lot more to staging an event than square footage.

Rem

KronoRed
06-01-2004, 09:53 PM

And I don't totally agree with your statement. Well I do agree with the incompetence and lack of foresight part.

Matts are pretty cool :D

I lean more toward this is just a stupid move without much though behind it, more like
Fo worker: "we can't find a space, what should we do?"
MeanPeopleInCharge: "Cancel it! stop running the phone bill up calling people"

;)

REDREAD
06-01-2004, 10:47 PM

Got to find some way to fund that HOF that Carl mandated.. that money has to come from somewhere :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Chip R
06-01-2004, 10:53 PM

I can see where you are coming from, creek. But Reds Fest could be a moneymaker for the Reds. I mean, you think John Allen would keep something going if it wasn't making money? Plus they have said that they are in a position where they don't have to cut salaries and quite possibly could add a salary. And there aren't a whole lot of big salaries to cut. Sure, if Casey were traded people would be burning effigies of DanO, Allen and Lindner. If Jr. were traded, people would be upset but in the back of their minds they would realize that he could get injured again at any time and he's no spring chicken anymore. Graves I don't think a lot of people would be that upset with.

I would think there are several solutions to this problem rather than going out and saying, "No RedsFest the next two years cause we can't use the Convention Center. Sucks for you." I would hope they are 100% sure that they cannot stage it anywhere else before they went public with that. A few years ago they did the same thing. They used to have it in January but they said they couldn't get the times they wanted in Jan. so they may not have it. Turns out they did happen to get those dates in Dec. so they were really crying wolf. I hate to say this but if you are going to look at another place to do this, look at the team who started this thing: The Cubs. I think they use some hotel in Chicago for their shindig. I'm sure that the hotels here aren't as big as the ones in Chicago but RedsFest isn't as big as Cubs Fest either.

Red Flash
06-01-2004, 11:25 PM
If you have a problem abiding by the rules of the board, I'm sure some other board will be more hospitible to your passion for the 1st Amendment. The last line of my post was not directed to you. It was directed to a pm that I received.

Boss-Hog
06-02-2004, 12:57 AM
The last line of my post was not directed to you. It was directed to a pm that I received.
And Chip's the one who (correctly) edited your post. If you had actually read the URL of the thread I messaged you about, you wouldn't be wondering why what you did was wrong.

indyfan5
06-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Well, the season is going along great and today it's announced....

NO MORE REDSFEST.

Why? Well "supposedly" there is no room available. How can this be? How can there be no fri/sat available between mid-October and early Feb? I am willing to bet, that ole Carl is tired of paying for this event and is just stopping it. What has the Reds fans done to deserve this? If it is true that they can't get any space, how in the heck does that happen? How does the convention center NOT set aside space for 2 days? The oldest franchise and it's run like a zoo. The Reds and the City should be ashamed. :mad:

Larkin411
06-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Columbus has not only Nationwide Arena, but the Greater Columbus Convention Center and Schottenstein Arena that the event could possibly be held at. Yes it is away from the Queen City, but there are a lot of Reds Fans in Columbus including myself.

As a Columbus person, I have to say that would be awesome!! Not likely but still awesome...

Also, I could see cancelling it for one year if they needed more time to prepare and deal with bureaucratic issues but two years? That's just ridiculous.

TeamDunn
06-02-2004, 06:15 PM
The Convention Center did not boot them...it is being renovated and the Reds say there is no other space in the area to handle it.

Was this a new post that was merged to this thread? :confused:

Well, the season is going along great and today it's announced....

NO MORE REDSFEST.

Why? Well "supposedly" there is no room available. How can this be? How can there be no fri/sat available between mid-October and early Feb? I am willing to bet, that ole Carl is tired of paying for this event and is just stopping it. What has the Reds fans done to deserve this? If it is true that they can't get any space, how in the heck does that happen? How does the convention center NOT set aside space for 2 days? The oldest franchise and it's run like a zoo. The Reds and the City should be ashamed. :mad:

TeamCasey
06-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Was this a new post that was merged to this thread? :confused:

Yeah, a couple got started. They tossed 'em together.

TeamDunn
06-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Yeah, a couple got started. They tossed 'em together.

NOW it makes sense!!! :p:

Thanks!!! :thumbup:

KYRedsFan
06-03-2004, 10:18 AM
The Northern Kentucky Convention Center in Covington has something like 110,000 square feet. Tone it down and do it.

TeamDunn
06-03-2004, 10:22 AM
The Northern Kentucky Convention Center in Covington has something like 110,000 square feet. Tone it down and do it.

There is a skywalk over to the hotel as well...some overflow could go there. And Adam, Austin and Brandon could walk to and from...Creek and I would be more than happy to provide security!!!! :mhcky21:

Chip R
06-03-2004, 10:27 AM
There is a skywalk over to the hotel as well...some overflow could go there. And Adam, Austin and Brandon could walk to and from...Creek and I would be more than happy to provide security!!!! :mhcky21:You'd have to for Brandon. He'd probably stub his toe and be out for the season. Or were you talking about Brandon Claussen?

creek14
06-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Dear Cindy- We checked every possible venue in Cinti. We use 190,000 sq ft. As for Us Bank -they have about 20k.The other options presented to us had faults we beleived would make for more problems than they solved.

As far as taking it out of town,that isn't practical given the 100 plus people from our staff that run the show and the fact that all the scheduling of the players is dependent upon when they tell us they can get into town and when they have to leave. Cincinnati being a hub for Delta makes that easier to accomplish,many times with only a week or 2 notice.

We didn't want to put together an event we couldn't be proud of and I realize that we were going to make some fans unhappy.

At the end of the day all of these things played into our decision to cancel until the Convention Center is finished.
I'm sorry you are upset,but by no means do we try to make our fans unhappy.
Thanks for your time

Cal Levy

Cal Levy
Director of Marketing
Cincinnati Reds
Great American Ball Park
100 Main St.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Phone 513-765-7030
Fax 513-765-7153
E-Mail clevy@cincinnatireds.com

I wrote back and asked if they had given any thought to making the Caravan bigger and better in an effort to compensate for Redsfest going away.

creek14
06-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Wow, I just sent that email and he already replied. Guess he doesn't know there is a game in a couple minutes. ;)

Cindy- Not at this time

Cal

RosieRed
06-05-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry you are upset,but by no means do we try to make our fans unhappy.

Maybe they don't try to make fans unhappy, but I often wonder if they try to make fans happy.

KronoRed
06-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Maybe they don't try to make fans unhappy, but I often wonder if they try to make fans happy.

That would cost too much money ;)

dman
06-06-2004, 03:57 AM
That's bullcrap about the Delta hub at CVG. Even so, a lot of the Red's players live in Florida in the off-season and Delta offers non-stop flights from MCO (Orlando)-CMH (Port Columbus) several times a day. Most times it's a lot cheaper to fly out of CMH (Port Columbus) to Orlando or vice-versa.

IslandRed
06-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Is that just for one room or would that be for the whole hotel?

Chip, sorry I've been offline the last few days so I couldn't answer, not that it's real important... 33k is the rough total of all meeting space at the Hyatt Regency. According to their info, their main ballroom is a little over 14,000 square feet and they claim it's the largest hotel ballroom in the city.

REDREAD
06-06-2004, 08:11 PM
I agree the delta hub thing is very lame.. I mean, come on. So, if the Delta hub closes, we're never going to have Redsfest again? :rolleyes:

And then he complains about the 100 people that run the show.. well, if Delta has a hub in Cincy, shouldn't it be easy for them to move RedsFest ? :MandJ:

The bottom line is, that if the Reds were really movitated, they could've done
something to replace it..