PDA

View Full Version : You think Reds players read Redzone?

FlyingPig
06-03-2004, 06:41 AM
If you were a player wouldn't you?

If they are, I'm betting Mr. Casey and Mr. Griffey are regular lurkers now!

Hey Case and Jr....If you're here..Are you having fun out there yet? AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

:GAC:

smith288
06-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Doubtful...They might have been here once or twice but im guessing some posters have made them stay away.

I could be wrong.

Edskin
06-03-2004, 07:22 AM
I have no personal knowledge of this at all, but my guess would be that more player read message boards than you would think.

1. Lots of time. These guys have a ton of time to kill, and the internet is available almost everywhere you go. I bet some guys stop by regularly, probably mostly out of boredom.

2. Tempting. Whenever I've had some writing published, I'm DYING to read what people have to say about it. Sometimes, what they have to say isn't all that nice. But it's so tempting to look anyway. We basically function as critics for the players. I'm sure they take what we have to say as gospel, and they may very well think a lot of us are fools, but I think it's human nature to seek out critique's of your performance.

3. Funny. I bet some players surf the net with their teammates just to joke around. Find more reasons to poke fun at one another, etc....

Maybe some guys have had their feelings hurt or generally try to avoid places like this, but overall, I'd guess there is a high percentage of athletes who at least drop by from time to time.

ChatterRed
06-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys. I really enjoy reading these posts before I go to the park! :thumbup:

butlerbulldogs
06-03-2004, 10:15 AM
ditto

Hap
06-03-2004, 11:23 AM
I just wish this site existed back in 1988, when I went 23-8 and would have won the Cy Young any other year. Blast that infernal choirboy Orel!!!!!!!

gm
06-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Casey and Graves were interviewed by Jim Day on Real Reds back in April ("Good or Bad?" segment) When JD asked them about "internet chat rooms?" Sean and Danny were not very complimentary about "low-lifes" like us

(that doesn't mean that they're NOT lurking, though)

missionhockey21
06-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Casey and Graves were interviewed by Jim Day on Real Reds back in April ("Good or Bad?" segment) When JD asked them about "internet chat rooms?" Sean and Danny were not very complimentary about "low-lifes" like us

(that doesn't mean that they're NOT lurking, though)
I think people are too defensive. Generally internet chat rooms have not been viewed in a positive light, with sex offenders and what not, true "low lifes." As much as some hate Danny Graves I doubt he would consider the posters of a Reds message board to be "low lifes." Just my two cents though.

As for the original question, I see the younger lesser known players reading more than a Griffey or a Larkin.

Where you be Tim Hummel? :mhcky21:

SantaClaussen
06-03-2004, 11:47 AM
I agree that Graves and Casey were probably talking about the stereotypical chatroom pervs, not bulletin board users. Try telling a number of coworkers you use a chatroom regularly and you get funny looks from some. Lots of people have that perception and if you're over 35 its even worse since far fewer of us "old" folks are as technologically involved.

They may look once in a while. If I were a player I might check once but I'd probably never return. Why? Because far too many posters call players "human garbage" , "worthless scum", and other personal attacks that have nothing whatsoever to do with their playing abilities. Would you want to read that stuff about a friend and teammate, even if they were hitting .167?That's very different than saying a player is struggling or can't learn to hit a curve or will have little value ever if he can't learn to mix his pitches in the strike zone.

Also many judgements are pronounced here based a single game. In fact its a joke with many on the game threads - hey, he's only hitting .389 now, lets trade him!

At least that's how things seem to a long time lurker like myself who just started posting.

Chip R
06-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Where you be Tim Hummel? :mhcky21:
Probably out getting some tats and gold chains since he's Thug Life. ;)

smith288
06-03-2004, 12:12 PM
[ thug ]

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6850.jpg

[ life ]

Johnny Footstool
06-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Hummel's steet name is "Vanilla Thunder."

But back to the topic...

I think a lot of players lurk on bulletin boards, but very few of them post. Carlos Beltran posted on the Royals board on mlb.com over the winter. Few people believed it was him until Peter Gammons mentioned that Carlos told him he actually did post there.

I think it's human nature to want to know what people are saying about you. I also think the players don't really want to get involved in the discussion.

The real question is, does Nick Lachey post here? And if so, can we get him to wear a RedsZone t-shirt on an episode of "Newlyweds"? :GAC:

ochre
06-03-2004, 01:16 PM
I think we will find out for sure when Hummel starts getting called by his new nickname because that is just too funny to let go, even if it did come from here.

Boss-Hog
06-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Curt Schilling is known for posting on his team's message boards, starting when he was with the Phillies.

Tay
06-03-2004, 01:28 PM
yo yo T to the I to the M to the Hizummle represent
thug life yo :help:

Actually, I bet more than half of the players check out these places. Of those, I bet half do with regularity.

Look at it this way, if you were a public figure, wouldn't you be curious about what is said? I know I would, perhaps it's vanity or egotism at work but I would nonetheless.

Catch22
06-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I have no personal knowledge of this at all, but my guess would be that more player read message boards than you would think.

1. Lots of time. These guys have a ton of time to kill, and the internet is available almost everywhere you go. I bet some guys stop by regularly, probably mostly out of boredom.

2. Tempting. Whenever I've had some writing published, I'm DYING to read what people have to say about it. Sometimes, what they have to say isn't all that nice. But it's so tempting to look anyway. We basically function as critics for the players. I'm sure they take what we have to say as gospel, and they may very well think a lot of us are fools, but I think it's human nature to seek out critique's of your performance.

3. Funny. I bet some players surf the net with their teammates just to joke around. Find more reasons to poke fun at one another, etc....

Maybe some guys have had their feelings hurt or generally try to avoid places like this, but overall, I'd guess there is a high percentage of athletes who at least drop by from time to time.

I know that some of the players have looked here, but I doubt that it is still a regular occurance. They do have a lot of time to kill and sometimes the internet fills that void. I agree that I too would want to read anything written about me, but I think that after a few months in the spotlight where people keep critisizing you, that novelty would wear off in a hurry (See Griffey, Ken Jr.). If they do drop by, it is mostly for reason number three. I think it is a bit of a fun time to read peoples posts and KNOW what is going on behind the scenes. Sometimes people's posts and their 'theories' can be so far off base that they are funny to read when you actually know what's going on.

I also know that quite a few of the players' wives look around here too looking for what people are saying about their husbands.

I think that place this could be a good thing for players and their families to read, as long as people post with the realization that the people they mock at times are real people, with real families. Would you still say some of the things that are said here if you were standing in a room with the player and their family? I doubt it. But alas, the annonymity the internet provides gives alot of people free lisence to say whatever is on their mind - even if it is garbage.

RedsFan75
06-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I understand them not wanting us to know which screen name is a player. That way they don't have to deal with us pounding them for questions, or tickets, or stuff like that. They do need to be protected. Also if some folks knew that, the personal attacks may increase... :(

It would be nice to know they are here though. Maybe some folks would be more respectful if they thought Casey, Griffey, Jones, et al would be reading the board...

I missed the Real Reds where Todd Jones was given the "Terrible Test", but didn't he say Griffey was the computer nerd of the group?

smith288
06-03-2004, 01:54 PM
For any Reds players reading this:

Im sorry if I offended any of you. Please don't let any remarks at this forum effect you personally as most here don't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to knowing what is going on in your clubhouse. Including me.

If I have said anything that may be personal in nature, it was simply out of frustration because I truely wish each of you success in your career and life.

There. I feel better. Now...about those tix... J/K

oregonred
06-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Good post.

I believe most of the college FB and BB recruits follow message boards these days. Probably less with older players, but I bet a lot of the under 25 MLB crowd is internet savvy.

When Cameron Colvin surprisingly picked Oregon over Michigan/USC he joked in the radio interview here about how all the Michigan message baords were suddenly saying he was overrated and that they were going to give him payback in a 2006 game in Ann Arbor. He made it sound like all the top HS recruits follows the boards. A few bad apples can make everyone look bad, and anyone can call themselves a "fan" while hiding behind a screenname.

Think about the fact these guys have lots of free time to kill and I bet it is safe to say these boards are known.

Chip R
06-03-2004, 02:08 PM
How you doin', Catch? How's Chris liking it in ATL? Don't be a stranger. :thumbup:

gm
06-03-2004, 02:11 PM
I missed the Real Reds where Todd Jones was given the "Terrible Test", but didn't he say Griffey was the computer nerd of the group?

That he did

TeamDunn
06-03-2004, 02:15 PM
I thought when Jones called Junior a computer nerd it was over computer games?

Edit to add...I'm sure he gets online...if for nothing else than to talk to his kids when they are not with him. I just don't know if I would visit here if I were him...maybe now...because there is not much in the way of bad things people can say...but for the last few years it was BRUTAL. :(

gm
06-03-2004, 02:18 PM
as long as people post with the realization that the people they mock at times are real people, with real families. Would you still say some of the things that are said here if you were standing in a room with the player and their family? I doubt it.

As long as it's done with humor, no problem. Face it, the players rag each other in the clubhouse a heckuva lot worse than anonymous strangers roast them around here.

(On that note, tell Chris the Braves hit the skids as soon as he joined them, and the Reds are better off now that he's gone. Just make sure you wink)

Reds1
06-03-2004, 02:34 PM
I don't know about players, but I would suspect more then we know. I do know a worker for the Reds came here and personally emailed me having one of the ticket stubs I needed for the 2002 season! He really helped me out, but I don't think he was a poster, but just a viewer.

jmcclain19
06-03-2004, 02:42 PM
I would think the players would find this place creepy at times.

I've seen several posts over the last few months wanting to know where they could meet or run into players, where they stay on the road, whether they were married, info on their personal lives.

Now you have a long thread on whether or not they actually poke in and what they would say/do if they did.

Add to that the constat fat jokes of former players and name calling, and I can certainly see why a player would never want to check this place out.

For people who live in the public eye, I imagine the candid discussion of some of the more private parts of their lives is far too public.

SYCMiniBus
06-03-2004, 02:47 PM
I do not know about pro athletes but one of my friends plays football in the ACC and I can say during his recruitment we looked at the message boards for humor. After one of his official visits (to a Big 10 school) there was a post saying he committed it was definitly news to both me and him. I talk to him and he says him and his boys look at message boards for humor because you see some ridiculous stuff that people with "inside information" say. Now pro athletes may not do such things, but I know in college it happens.

15fan
06-03-2004, 03:14 PM
I'd always heard that they were too busy reading the Little Red Wagon to bother with us.

M2
06-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Tim Hummell is a ice cold boy scout killa.

KronoRed
06-03-2004, 03:57 PM
I'll believe players read this board when I hear Dunn say Hi to Creek in a post game interview :D

Redsland
06-03-2004, 04:11 PM
I don't know if any Reds visit here, but I did learn today that Jason LaRue gets his hair cut the same place I do.

Look for the highlights, and I don't mean on Sportscenter. :)

Catch22
06-03-2004, 05:41 PM
How you doin', Catch? How's Chris liking it in ATL? Don't be a stranger. :thumbup:

Yo yo - I'm doin' fine. I haven't been a stranger around here, just don't post as much as I used to. Afterall, with Chris gone I don't have any more opportunity to start posts about how Bob Boone hated Chris and did him wrong ;) I still visit to read the various discussions. I still spend more time here than I do at the Braves board. That board is pretty flashy, but pretty low on substance. I much prefer it here. Much better baseball knowledge.

Chris is slowly settling in to Atlanta - getting to know people. The usual pick up and move to a new city routine. He is enjoying things over there and they seem to be pretty happy with him. Though the jokes have already started over there about how they are in the tank with him, and the Reds are on fire without him. He has already suggested that if the Braves need to take Florida down later on that they should trade him to them so the the team and the city will be visited by apocolyptic plagues and losing streaks of biblical proportions. I think he is taking it pretty well, but it does make a guy go Hmmm. The amount of injuries that the Braves have had to deal with this year have been amazing - and their stats show the effect.

Back to the thread topic. I think you would be suprised at how many people associated with the team casually read this site. Be proud of that here, but also me mindful of the eyes that will read your thoughts. I always try to use the 'would I say this to his face' measuring stick before saying anything, especially something personal, about a player.

DACS
06-03-2004, 07:41 PM
I don't know about any Reds visiting this site now, but I do know Bret Tomko used to read the message board and frequent the chatroom.

I also know of some ex-ball players who used to chat at the old Fastball chatroom. Boy, I miss that place. I don't think they will mind my telling who they are since that site is gone. They were very discreet and used their baseball nicknames. These guys were friends and it was their way of staying in touch. You will probably be surprised to know that some of the "older" guys are quite computer savy.

George Brett, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor and Jim Gantner chatted there regularly and I also know that Todd Helton visited there sometimes.

smith288
06-03-2004, 07:57 PM
If I could get a sign, like if one of the Reds gave a post-game interview and gave a shout out to "Thug" Hummel or "Icy Hot" then we will all know. ;)

creek14
06-03-2004, 08:24 PM
I had an experience last year that made me think Brian Reith might read here. I was on 75 way before game time and I saw a hot car up ahead of me. So I sped up to check it out. As I pulled a long side I gave a quick glance to the driver and low and behold it was Brian. I didn't stare, didn't wave, nothing. I just passed on by. Well my plates are creek14 (and were long before RedsZone came to be). In my mirror I saw him looking at the back of my car and then he pulled up beside me and was looking in at me. And it's not like I'm hot or anything, so he wouldn't have been looking for that reason. Oh wait, Adam might be reading this, so yes, yes I am hot. Sizzling. En fuego, baby.

Anyway, I always thought it a little weird that he would be trying to see who was driving. Made me think he had read many of my deep and insightful posts here.

Redsland
06-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Please tell me his plate didn't read "Drew." :p:

TeamBoone
06-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Just a thought but with the exception of Chris Reitsma (thanks to Catch), how would the players know about RedsZone? The Cincinnati.com board I can understand, but this one is a little tougher to find.

BTW, Catch. I miss Chris sooooo much and wish he was here to enjoy the team's success with his old buddies. In fact, if he were here, they might even be more successful.

Regarding chat rooms... I agree that Danny and Sean meant real-time chat rooms and not message boards. There's a word of difference.

TeamDunn
06-03-2004, 09:25 PM
If you do a search for *Cincinnati Reds Message Board* you will eventually get to a listing for Redszone.

I found this place via the board at cincinnatireds.com I think.

Plus if one player knows about it, all of them will know about it. I think word of mouth and it is an easy URL to remember.

creek14
06-03-2004, 09:26 PM
how would the players know about RedsZone?
The same way as anyone who has joined us in the past couple years. A quick search for 'Reds message board' on google, popped this up.

RedsZone Forums - powered by vBulletin
... - RedsZone, ... Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment ... delete and/or
edit any messages that violate ...
www.redszone.com/ - 27k - Jun 2, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

I would guess catch22 mentioned it to Chris at some point. And I have heard it mentioned on WLW on more than one occasion.

RedsZone, we're everywhere.

And we did send that get well to Jr last year (to his home, the park and somewhere else) with RedsZone plastered all over it.

Plus I might have emailed Todd Jones and mentioned it...

TeamBoone
06-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks. That's good to know. I hope if they do read that they don't get too depressed (or angry)!

TeamDunn
06-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Thanks. That's good to know. I hope if they do read that they don't get too depressed (or angry)!

Unless it gets Jr mad!! :thumbup: :p: Nice way for fans to help him get closer to Bonds!!!! ;)

CougarQuest
06-03-2004, 10:08 PM
You know it would be funny to find out how many times they liked one poster one day and thought that same poster didn't know a bat from a ball the next.

It would almost be funny to have them send in a collective thought something like:

We think that the poster "RIGORMORTIS" should be traded away. His lack of fundamental baseball knowledge is not worthy of REDSZONE and he is dead wrong a majority of the time. Now there is a guy on one of those AAA Reds message boards, ESPN.com, that is showing signs of being a worthwhile poster. You should see if you can trade for "REDHEART".

Redsland
06-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Coug, are you insane? RIGORMORTIS is a great clubhouse guy, and even though his post count is down a bit this season from his career norms, so is guerney's, and you don't hear anyone screaming to trade him.

:)

TeamDunn
06-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Coug, are you insane? RIGORMORTIS is a great clubhouse guy, and even though his post count is down a bit this season from his career norms, so is guerney's, and you don't hear anyone screaming to trade him.

Are you serious? He has a bad attitude this year! Refuses to give interviews, will not talk to the players...just is lifeless...lays around like a lazy slug! Somebody should check on him to see if he is even breathing sometimes because he shows no life whatsoever...and he certainly does not look like he is having fun in here! :p:

smith288
06-03-2004, 10:33 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14053&highlight=Griffey

I wonder if Griff ever saw this? I tried to get it to Griffey through some of the Cincinnati beat writers to try to move this thread to him directly when they got an interview or what not... Never heard if he got it...

http://www.ejsmithweb.com/fr/Griffey_Get_well.png

Redsland
06-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Regardless of whether he received it, that was a great idea, smith, and a very nice gesture. :GAC:

tremere
06-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Curt Schilling is known for posting on his team's message boards, starting when he was with the Phillies.

That would be great to see, but I have a question for ya: can you PROVE it?

TeamBoone
06-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Wow! Did you ever share this with RedsZone before? If yes, I never saw it. It's great.

One complaint though, I don't see TeamBoone on there!

I almost forgot, you should try to get this through one more time (and on the Enquirer Griffey Message Board... see this thread http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24005). You could change the wording to have something to do with his climb to 500 home runs.

UCmaroons
06-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Trem:
Schilling being on the message boards was all over ESPN this past offseason. He was at the sons of sam website, a red sox site. I read most of his posts. Cool guy. He admitted it was him on BBTN or sportscenter. They did a special on it.

RosieRed
06-04-2004, 12:26 AM

Hilarious! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cedric
06-04-2004, 12:37 AM
I must be hidden behind Griffey's back! :)
And Doug Flynn posts here? lol we could use him.

creek14
06-04-2004, 04:38 AM
TB, that card to Jr was posted on a sticky for about a week. Whoever wanted their name added to it just let smith know and he added it. Must have been when you were out of town with your mom.

TeamCasey
06-04-2004, 06:13 AM
I think we were in NY camping when the card was up. I remember coming back and reading this huge long thread about it. I thought it was pretty cool.

danosredsworld
06-04-2004, 06:27 AM
It seems like I saw an article or something stating that a lot of the MLB players play fantasy baseball with regularity. If any of them played Fox FB last year I beat them all :D

RBA
06-04-2004, 08:19 AM
I don't know how I missed the card? That was July 2003?

IowaRed
06-04-2004, 08:26 AM
FWIW, if you put "Cincinnati Reds" in Yahoo search, RedsZone.com comes up as the #5 Web result. That's how I found RedsZone and with the description: "online chat and message board forum for Reds' fans, by Reds' fans" it could attract a player's attention fairly easily

TeamDunn
06-04-2004, 08:40 AM
It was right after one of his injuries last year...I want to say the shoulder one, but was it the season ending one?

Roy Tucker
06-04-2004, 08:59 AM
You know it would be funny to find out how many times they liked one poster one day and thought that same poster didn't know a bat from a ball the next.

It would almost be funny to have them send in a collective thought something like:

We think that the poster "RIGORMORTIS" should be traded away. His lack of fundamental baseball knowledge is not worthy of REDSZONE and he is dead wrong a majority of the time. Now there is a guy on one of those AAA Reds message boards, ESPN.com, that is showing signs of being a worthwhile poster. You should see if you can trade for "REDHEART".
Reminds me of a part in the Woody Allen movie "Annie Hall"...

When the pseudo-intellectual ramblings of the man behind him in the movie theater line become unbearable, Allen turns to the camera in frustration: “What I wouldn’t give for a large sock with horse manure in it. What do you do when you get stuck in a movie line with a guy like this behind you?”

When the intellect tries to validate his insights into film, television, and Marshall McLuhan, explaining that he teaches a class at Columbia called “TV, media and culture,” Allen pulls off the greatest movie theater lobby trick on film.

From just off-camera on the right side of the screen, he produces Marshall McLuhan himself. McLuhan then proceeds to excoriate the rogue pontificator, “You know nothing of my work. ... How you ever got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing,” and strikes a blow for all time against pseudo-intellectualism.

Of course, Allen turns back to the camera and says, “Boy, if life were only like this.”

RedsMan3203
06-04-2004, 11:59 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14053&highlight=Griffey

I wonder if Griff ever saw this? I tried to get it to Griffey through some of the Cincinnati beat writers to try to move this thread to him directly when they got an interview or what not... Never heard if he got it...

http://www.ejsmithweb.com/fr/Griffey_Get_well.png

Great picture... great great great gesture... I hope he got to see it so he knows there is still love in the 'Nati.

We need to put something together for his 500th home run.

smith288
06-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Im going on vacation this week and wont have PC or Internet. Im going to hate it if he gets it while im gone.

I think it will be better suited as a congradulatory one for the 500th. With his 500th swing as the centerepiece of my montage.

What do you think?

RedsMan3203
06-04-2004, 12:39 PM
That would be nice.

What do you work with Smith? Photoshop?

smith288
06-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Paint Shop Pro 8 I grew up on Jasc, cant stand Photo Shops interface

RedsMan3203
06-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Okay -- Let me know I've used Photoshop for 3 years now and I know some good tricks on it.. . I can help you with anything you need...

westofyou
06-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Photoshop is my tool of choice, ties into Illustrator, Acrobat, Premier and the Macromedia products seamlessly.

RedsMan3203
06-04-2004, 01:15 PM
You can make so reallllly coooool pictures on Photoshop!

zombie-a-go-go
06-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Whatever, d00d, real men code in wordpad and do their graphics in MS Paint... reprazent!!!11!1!!1

smith288
06-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Photoshop is my tool of choice, ties into Illustrator, Acrobat, Premier and the Macromedia products seamlessly.
Yea, if you have an extra million dollars just laying around... haha.

smith288
06-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Whatever, d00d, real men code in wordpad and do their graphics in MS Paint... reprazent!!!11!1!!1
oh, you are one of those people. ;)

TeamBoone
06-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Change the inscription, add my name, and have it blown up at Kinko's. Send it to him after he hits his 500th (or just before with some kind of inscription that tell's him Zoners are behind him all the way and beyond). Better yet, physically present it to someone in the Red's FO to give it to him... that way, you can be fairly sure he'll receive it (or send it to Hal to give to him).

smith288
06-04-2004, 02:41 PM
I live in C-Bus so cant make it to Cincy very reguarly.

I doubt he will have his 500th in the next 7 days (if so, its a conspiracy against me- ill be on vacation) so I think I can plan the "Congrats to Griff" when I return.

GIK
06-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Good idea, smith. Please add my name if you plan to do this. :thumbup:

smith288
06-14-2004, 01:26 PM
I have the image ready to go. I just need his swing. :)

Roy Tucker
06-14-2004, 01:40 PM
oh, you are one of those people. ;)
Hey, I still like to do ASCII art on a 132 char. width line printer :RedinDC:

Edskin
06-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Redskins QB Patrick Ramsey fielded questions over on extremeskins.com via posts made to his brother. Kinda neat. Seems like a nice guy.

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64054