PDA

View Full Version : If you caught #500...

Reds-aholic
06-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Would you keep it, give it to Griffey, or would you sell it on ebay for the 70-$80,000 that it is estimated at being worth?

zombie-a-go-go
06-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Give it to Griffey. I mean, come on... really. Handing the Kid his 500HR ball would have to be one of the biggest highs imaginable for any Reds fan.

zombie-a-go-go
06-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Oh... and welcome to the board!

TeamCasey
06-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Give it to Griffey. More meaningful to him. Besides, I'm sure he'd replace it with a signed bat or ball something. I mean how awesome would you feel handing him that ball. It's would be a memory to cherish the rest of your life.

Reds-aholic
06-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Thanks!, I think I would have to give it back as well. Just the oppurtunity to catch it and then make him happy by giving it back would be much better than any money I could get for selling it.

smith288
06-16-2004, 08:03 AM
I would keep it and make Griffey jump through a thousand hoops to get it back.

jk.

I'd probably give it back as long as I got a picture with him and maybe a few signed balls and bat. Got a wife and 2 kids to feed ya know. ;)

Mr Red
06-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Do ya think the Reds would give me season tickets for life in exchange for the ball?

I would actually give it to Griffey. I think about all the family mementos and things that are important to me that I would not give away no matter the circumstances. I'm sure that ball would mean just as much to Griff. The season tix for life would be kinda nice though :)

smith288
06-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Do ya think the Reds would give me season tickets for life in exchange for the ball?

I would actually give it to Griffey. I think about all the family mementos and things that are important to me that I would not give away no matter the circumstances. I'm sure that ball would mean just as much to Griff. The season tix for life would be kinda nice though :)
No way would you get life season tix. You might get a certain number of tix but lifetime season? Lindler laughs at you

bleedsred
06-16-2004, 08:27 AM
I'm not going to lie, if I could fetch $70,000 for catching a baseball I would have to take it unless Griffey offered at least $50,000. With the near sellouts and all, Linder should buy it for him. That kind of money would pay lots of bills for the average fan.

RedsBaron
06-16-2004, 08:38 AM
I was thinking about that this morning. I'd give Junior the 500th HR ball in return for four autographed balls (one for me and each of my three sons), a bat and a photograph with Junior, me and my three sons.

Roy Tucker
06-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Probably any other MLB player, I'd sell the ball.

With Jr. being a Red and being a good guy, I'd say what RedsBaron would ask for would do me well too.

It was 3 yrs. ago at Cinergy I saw Jr. do a nice thing. Jr. was on-deck and had caught a richocet foul ball and tried to lob it to a little girl in the 2nd-3rd row. Some fat slob barrelled over the little kid and caught the ball and whooped it up like he had single-handedly won the World Series. A true moron.

The next at-bat, Jr. is standing next to the wall by the on-deck circle and makes eye-contact with the little girl (which he never does) and does the finger-waggle "come here" motion. The girl said "me?" and he smiled and nodded. He hands her a signed ball. Probably only about 10-20 people saw it because he did it so unobtrusively. She was floating on cloud nine after that. He earned a permanent page in my "good guy" book after that.

traderumor
06-16-2004, 08:55 AM
I'd give it to him expecting nothing in return. It's his milestone, not mine.

TeamCasey
06-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Did you guys hear about the imbecile at one of St. Louis' recent games?

06-16-2004, 08:58 AM
I would sell it without a doubt. I suppose it would be a fulfilling experience to give it back, but the money made would go nicely towards my kids education.

OldXOhio
06-16-2004, 08:59 AM
I'm not going to lie, if I could fetch $70,000 for catching a baseball I would have to take it unless Griffey offered at least $50,000. With the near sellouts and all, Linder should buy it for him. That kind of money would pay lots of bills for the average fan.

my guess is with the increased number of 500 club members, and Griffey's somewhat diminished star status, owning a 500 ball might not even fetch you $7,000.

either way, I'd give it to Junior.

smith288
06-16-2004, 09:04 AM
my guess is with the increased number of 500 club members, and Griffey's somewhat diminished star status, owning a 500 ball might not even fetch you $7,000.

Listening to some of the national Griffey hype all of a sudden, and th efact the Junior is 2nd among outfielders in the AS voting, his ball will garner plenty of cash. Interest in him is returning.

OldXOhio
06-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Listening to some of the national Griffey hype all of a sudden, and th efact the Junior is 2nd among outfielders in the AS voting, his ball will garner plenty of cash. Interest in him is returning.

Like to hear that - hope you're right.

TeamBoone
06-16-2004, 11:49 AM

Increased number? Well, yes, of course every time a player reaches that milestone it's an "increased number" but Jr will only be #20. #20!!!! Out of all the guys who have played the game for all time (or for at least as long as they've been keeping track of HRs). Plus, one of the youngest.

MAJOR MILESTONE my friend.

PS - I would return the ball to Griffey if he could make sure I get a date with Adam Dunn... :mhcky21:

Cedric
06-16-2004, 11:51 AM
I'd toss it to the Rangers outfielder and have him throw it back to Griffey.

TeamDunn
06-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Give it back!

But only if I got to meet him & Dunn (and only if Creek and TB could come too!).

:mhcky21:

TeamBoone
06-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Awwwww, TD. That's so thoughtful! (and I was selfish because I never thought about bringing anyone along on "my" date)

princeton
06-16-2004, 11:56 AM
think that I could trade it for the chance to be Reds' GM for a week?

oh the trouble that I could get us in...

TeamDunn
06-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Awwwww, TD. That's so thoughtful! (and I was selfish because I never thought about bringing anyone along on "my" date)

:MandJ: :MandJ:

:GAC:

;)

alloverjr
06-16-2004, 11:58 AM
I'd give it to him expecting nothing in return. It's his milestone, not mine.

Exactly what I was thinking. :thumbup: That ball means nothing to me.

I was in right field last night, but the closest we came to balls were the couple that Clark threw up there.

OldXOhio
06-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Increased number? Well, yes, of course every time a player reaches that milestone it's an "increased number" but Jr will only be #20. #20!!!! Out of all the guys who have played the game for all time (or for at least as long as they've been keeping track of HRs). Plus, one of the youngest.

MAJOR MILESTONE my friend.

PS - I would return the ball to Griffey if he could make sure I get a date with Adam Dunn... :mhcky21:

I'm not questioning the magnitude of hitting 500 HRs in your career. Calling it a major milestone goes without saying. My point was that we've seen several players hit the 500 plateau in recent seasons and I just wonder if the lessened exclusivity of this club diminishes its worth in the mind of the collector? Would someone still be willing to pay 50K for it?

JaxRed
06-16-2004, 12:04 PM
I just did a quick calculation. $50,000 to Griffey is about what $300 is to me. Not totally incidental but close. Certainly if something really had a sentimental value to him, he (or Bonds, etc.) could easily pay for the ball.

Given a choice between significantly improving the financial status of my family or letting an athlete that has scores of trophies and scores of millions in the bank have one more memento......

Sorry, financial well-being of my family comes first.

REDREAD
06-16-2004, 12:07 PM
I agree with Roy.. if it were any other player, I'd sell it without even thinking twice.

But Jr is an exceptional person and a genuine good guy.

it would be a real dilemma, IMO.

Deep down though, I'd probably sell it. It's not like there are many opportunities for
a quick 50-70k come in life. That's a lot of money for us. Even after taxes, that's
a life changing lump sum of money. It's definitely more valuable than hanging out with Jr for 2-3 minutes and
getting your picture taken.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much sentimental attachment the players have for
balls like that. I know that Tom Browning said in an interview that one of his kids grabbed his
perfect game ball and played with it and lost it.

Jr will probably hit #600 down the road anyway if he plays 3-4 more years (Maybe sooner).

Larkin Fan
06-16-2004, 12:11 PM
I'd give it back to Griffey without a doubt.

Reds4Life
06-16-2004, 12:13 PM
I'd trade it to Jr. for an autographed bat and some season tickets. :p:

macro
06-16-2004, 12:15 PM
I like Ken Griffey Jr. and don't begrudge him his salary at all, but a guy making $12,000,000 a year doesn't need charity from someone making 1/200th that amount. I think his paycheck for that one game (or half of it or whatever) would be a fair trade for the ball.

I know some are saying that it's just a ball and it has more sentimental value to Ken that to you. That may be true, but if you were staring at an open suitcase with that much cash in it, would you just smile and hand it over to a man who makes more each game than you do in a year? Because if you give him the ball, that's what you're doing. I suspect that might be easier said than done. Remember, you're not returning something that belongs to him. You're giving him a gift of something that belongs to you. There is a difference.

bucksfan
06-16-2004, 12:19 PM
This is honestly a tough one for me. Since it is Junior and I truly believe he is a very good guy, I want to say I'd just give it to him. I'd also want to believe, however, that he and/or the Reds "recognizes" there is some kind of "market: out there for that thing and that I'd be passing that up. Now I don't know what the true market is/will be. I just cannt fathom thousands of dollars for an $11 baseball. So despite feelings towards READREAD's side (a chance to make $XXXXX rarely surfaces, I'd probably lean toward giving the ball back immediately, but in my heart of hearts I would hope that somehow the Reds/junior would recognize the "lost opportunity" with some pics, autograph, maybe a signed glove... I'd probably do the right thing because it is a player I genuinely respect and admire from a personal standpoint. But man, just aying no to potentially any amount of money in the thousands is just hard to come to grips with hypothetically right now...

Eric_Davis
06-16-2004, 12:47 PM
I'd milk it for what it's worth. That's a no-brainer.

Eric_Davis
06-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Homeruns are public property. Finders, keepers. It's one of the few benefits that the fans do get. If Junior wants the ball, let him be the highest bidder. He's gotten enough of my money already. He doesn't need any charity from me.

Eric_Davis
06-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Junior burps $60,000 when he wakes up in the morning.

Hollcat
06-16-2004, 12:50 PM
That's a good way to look at it Macro.

If I catch the 500th HR I will definately try to work something out to get it to Griffey but I'm not interested in autographed bats, balls or pictures. I would try to get some good tickets for five or six weekends a year for several years ( say 5) and see if he could put a little change into the kids colege fund. Then of course there's always the temptation of testing the free agent market with it if you know what I mean, just to see what kind of offers are out there.

Eric_Davis
06-16-2004, 12:51 PM
And if there's a 4-year old standing next to me, he better get out of the way.

TeamDunn
06-16-2004, 01:17 PM
And if there's a 4-year old standing next to me, he better get out of the way.

Cute. :thumbdn:

reds1990
06-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Oh... and welcome to the board!

<sigh> wonders why zombie didn't welcome me to the board </sigh>
:evil:

reds1990
06-16-2004, 01:21 PM
I would keep it and make Griffey jump through a thousand hoops to get it back.

jk.

I'd probably give it back as long as I got a picture with him and maybe a few signed balls and bat. Got a wife and 2 kids to feed ya know. ;)

So, you would sell the picture, signed balls (whose?) and bat? Just wondering how giving #500 back to Griffey would help you put food on the table.
:thumbup:

TeamBoone
06-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Remember, you're not returning something that belongs to him. You're giving him a gift of something that belongs to you. There is a difference.

Also remember that "gifts" should not have to be paid for by the recipient.

smith288
06-16-2004, 01:47 PM
So, you would sell the picture, signed balls (whose?) and bat? Just wondering how giving #500 back to Griffey would help you put food on the table.
Sure, the 500 ball would be worth more, but Im thinking I could package all the signed stuff as a deal and make soemthing off it. Griffey hit the 500, not me.

TeamBoone
06-16-2004, 01:48 PM
In all seriousness, I firmly believe that Jr wouldn't expect the ball be given to him for nothing. However, for the fan to give it to Jr with nothing expected in return would probably reap a nice return for that fan. Something that Jr thinks is worth something to that person.

Geez, look what Danny is trying to do for the guy that returned his wallet! Though, of course, the wallet was his and not a "gift".

Reds1
06-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Glad to see this. I was thinking I was a major prick or something. I would do the same. I can't be an idiot. I have a family and that would go a long way to sending my kids to college. The same way the players get millions to play a game - I'd be crazy not to take 70,000 to help educate my kids and get them started out on the right foot. I will say though that I would take less if Griffey offered like bleedsred said above.

CTA513
06-16-2004, 02:28 PM

Id give it to him for a signed bat & jersey.... but if he wants to give me more thats fine with me. :GAC:

KittyDuran
06-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Sorry but I got bills to pay and I'd like to get a new car before this one goes off to junk heaven. Considering that I couldn't even afford season tickets this year because money is so tight - making money off the ball is a no-brainer...

TeamCasey
06-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Let me ask those who would keep it. (and I'm not judging in anyway. I'm glad people are being honest.)

Would you really sell it, or would you hang on to it? If I kept it, I couldn't bear giving it to someone else. I think I'd want to pass it on to my children or something.

TeamMorris
06-16-2004, 02:43 PM

No, what happened??

macro
06-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Also remember that "gifts" should not have to be paid for by the recipient.

That's right. The two are mutually exclusive. If I sold it to him, it would not be a gift. If someone gave it to him, it would be. I wasn't trying to imply that an item that is sold is a "gift".

puca
06-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm guessing it would be worth a bunch more than 80K considering it would have to travel 300 miles or so in order for me to catch it. :evil:

Tough choice. I think I would return it for the chance for my son, who is a big baseball fan, and I to meet Junior. If at the same time I could meet Senior - one of my all time favorites - so much the better.

My wife would kill me though.

letsgojunior
06-16-2004, 03:16 PM
I would give the ball back to Junior just for the chance to shake his hand and talk to him for a second. I wouldn't want any money for that, as it's just a baseball.

MWM
06-16-2004, 03:17 PM
If I were in a different financial state in my life, I'd give it back with the chance to meet him and get a couple of momentos.

But I'm about to embark on graduate school for two years. I have three kids and I will be taking on a fair amount of debt. Even if it were only worth $10,000, I'd sell it. If you're standing there with something that you have legal title that is worth thousands of dollars, then it's no different than walking up to someone and handing them the money all out of some "moral" obligation.

If the cash wouldn't make a HUGE difference in my life right now, I give it to him. But it's unreasonable that someone in my situation should be expected to hand over thousands of dollars to someone who is worth over $100MM. And I adore Ken Griffey Junior. Removing emotion from important decisions is a good thing.

NICK5
06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I'll trade the ball for his yacht.

wire2wire
06-16-2004, 03:31 PM
If I were in a different financial state in my life, I'd give it back with the chance to meet him and get a couple of momentos.

But I'm about to embark on graduate school for two years.

Me too, and I couldn't imagine throwing away the opportunity to pay off my education. I probably won't make in my entire life what Griffey will make this month. Got to think of the family

go bucks

wire2wire
06-16-2004, 03:31 PM
I'll trade the ball for his yacht.

:lol: best idea yet!!!

Fil3232
06-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Just musing about 2 situations...

1) Sitting in right field, if I were to catch it, I can only imagine the reaction if I turned around and chucked it into the Ohio River. Seriously, what would happen? Mass chaos would ensue and I would be all over highlights, not to mention maybe a spot on the Tonight Show show or something.

2) Someone earlier mentioned tossing it to a Ranger outfielder, but wouldnt it be cool if you tossed it to JR. in the top half of the inning?

Those are the two things I might do.

ramp101
06-16-2004, 04:37 PM
If I caught 500..... I would glare at griffey and then run :thumbup:

yea Id give it to him

Redny
06-16-2004, 04:44 PM
This is actually a tough question. But after much thought I think I would use it to help put my son through college.

princeton
06-16-2004, 04:47 PM
I'd be happy to sell it to Jr. I'd even give him the hometown discount.

GAC
06-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Trade it for pitching or Scott Rolen! :mhcky21:

beb30
06-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Id give it to him i think, im not going to lie that $70,000 makes me think twice, but id be pretty happy with a signed jersey, bat, ball, maybe even shoes and i would want one of those items having to do with that game. For instance if he hit 500 id want the jersey or something he hit it in signed with maybe a #500 next to his signature or something :GAC:

KronoRed
06-16-2004, 05:40 PM
I don't know, it would be a decision I'd have to make right there, I think I'd let him have it but a few tickets and autographed balls..but I don't know for sure

CTA513
06-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Why not stop at $70,000? I saw a house in Indian Hill that was $10 million, Im pretty sure Griffey would buy it for me.

flcardinal
06-16-2004, 05:47 PM

I would give back to Jr.hoping he would give me a signed baseball in return and he probably would..
TC,there is a topic post on the Cardinal board talking about the Kid and ball incident plus the name of the fellow..

TeamCasey
06-16-2004, 06:18 PM
No, what happened??

.....St. Louis led 12-0 in the third when a foul ball hit into the stands by Matthews got more attention than anything on the field.

In the ensuing scramble, a husky man jumped over a row of seats and pinned a 4-year-old boy against the seats with his legs while diving to get the ball. To no avail, fans started chanting "Give him the ball! Give him the ball!"

But the boy, who wasn't injured, ended up with much more than one ball. In the next few minutes, both teams sent bats and balls to the boy, including Cardinals outfielder Reggie Sanders coming out between innings to do so.

"In my heart, I thought I should do something," said Sanders, who initially saw the incident on the clubhouse TV. "It's all about the kids."

There was also a little extra for the man who got the ball, but he left two innings later and never received the Cardinals T-shirt on which "Tough Guy" and "Ball Stealer" was written by reliever Steve Kline.

"I'm a big fan of giving kids balls. He was a real jerk about it," Kline said. "That's part of life, people like that in the world. They do something like that. I don't understand."

Terry
06-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Obviously none of you have to pay ridiculous amounts of child support. :(

I'd definitely sell it, but I'd give Junior the first chance to buy it from me.

Matt700wlw
06-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Give it to Griff...personally

That'd be worth more than money...it'd be something that would stay with you for the rest of your life.

Plus, he hit the milestone, I didn't.

Terry
06-16-2004, 06:26 PM
In the ensuing scramble, a husky man jumped over a row of seats and pinned a 4-year-old boy against the seats with his legs while diving to get the ball.

For the record, that is not at all what happened. I've seen the video and the guy didn't even touch the kid. Maybe his pant leg brushed the kid's shirt, but it wasn't even enough contact for the kid to even know it happened. The kid was totally oblivious to what was going on until a bunch of whiny fans (and the kid's whiny mother) made a big deal of it.

EX BRAVEDAD
06-16-2004, 06:46 PM
I would sell it to the first guy to comeup with the money its just a baseball

Matt700wlw
06-16-2004, 06:57 PM
I think it's more than a baseball to the man who hit the milestone, IMO

EX BRAVEDAD
06-16-2004, 07:14 PM
capitalism my friend capitalism thats the name of the game

GIK
06-16-2004, 07:25 PM
We know who's going to be negotiating Bubba's next contract now, don't we? :lol:

EX BRAVEDAD
06-16-2004, 08:08 PM
The way its going dont think there will be one :lol:

Raisor
06-16-2004, 08:17 PM
I'd sell it to Todd McFarland, since he'd probably overpay for it.

I'm in debt up to my eyeballs, heck yeah I'd take the money.

danosredsworld
06-16-2004, 09:08 PM
I would sell it and put the money toward a quality starter. :D

or a new red Avalanche...

Eric_Davis
06-16-2004, 10:06 PM
How about if the guy who caught Sosa's 500th at the GAB, catches Junior's?