PDA

View Full Version : Players I met today...

Super_Barry11
06-22-2004, 05:22 PM
AND received autographs from:

Wily Mo Pena
Felipe Lopez
D'Angelo Jimenez
Brandon Larson (sweet guy... even asked me a few questions and chatted with me for a bit) :)
Tim Hummel (really nice and friendly) :)
Jung Keun Bong (a little shy, but very nice with a great smile) :)
Phil Norton
Mike Matthews (a lil grumpy... I felt really bad, I mean, he didn't have to sign if he didn't want to...) :confused:
Gabe White (awesome guy... very friendly and chatty... was on his cell when he saw me waving at him, but even put his cell and everything he was holding down on the ground to sign for me and even chatted for awhile about how glad he was to be back and what a great group of guys the Reds are) :thumbup:

AND

BARRY LARKIN!!!!!!!!!! (The poor guy was on his cell phone in the hotel lobby, and I didn't want to interrupt his convo. I literally had to hold my stepdad back from trying to get his attention. He disappeared for awhile, then came walking through again, still on his cell. This time, my stepdad had enough and waved him down. I apologized profusely for interrupting his call, but he was really, really nice about it. He signed an autograph for me, and even posed for a couple pictures!!! I am in absolute heaven... If only he knew just how much his kindness and tolerance meant to me...)
:jump: :D :thumbup:

Also got an autograph from Marty Brennaman... Seemed like such a nice guy... Very friendly and accomodating! :)

(I'm in the hotel room at the Grand Hyatt typing this right now... I'm still shaking...) :D

jmcclain19
06-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Very cool - you'll have to show the pics when you get 'em developed/downloaded.

Chip R
06-22-2004, 05:27 PM
(I'm in the hotel room at the Grand Hyatt typing this right now... I'm still shaking...) :D
If you stop feeding quarters into the machine by the bed, you'll stop shaking. ;)

creek14
06-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Good for you!!

Gonna sneak into the bar tonight? :evil:

missionhockey21
06-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Awesome, congrats!

Larkin411
06-22-2004, 05:31 PM
That is so cool!!!

Eric_Davis
06-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Are you going to any of the games?

Super_Barry11
06-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Are you going to any of the games?

I'll be at the game on Thursday!! :D I told Brandon Larson, "You guys better sweep the Mets!" He seemed to get a kick out of that and responded something like, "Yeah, we'll sure try!" :thumbup:

zombie-a-go-go
06-22-2004, 05:59 PM
That's totally awesome. Too bad ya missed out on Freel, though - the greatest player of our generation, bar none. :mhcky21:

LvJ
06-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Was Hummel sporting Pena's durag?

TeamDunn
06-22-2004, 07:05 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

You rock girl!

Did you take any pics?

Enjoy the rest of your stay! :GAC:

KronoRed
06-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Awesome!! they sound like a cool bunch :)

RBA
06-22-2004, 10:53 PM
WOW! :thumbup:

Super_Barry11
06-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the positive replies, everyone!! :) I just got back from seeing the Broadway show, Wonderful Town. As we were entering the hotel, I spotted some more players!! Unfortunately, I didn't have any of my autograph stuff (no pen, nothing to sign... Doh!!), but I did get to speak briefly with Todd Jones and get a picture with Jason LaRue!!! :D LaRue was so friendly... My mom got all flustered trying to take the picture (good-looking guys tend to have that effect on her :lol: ), so Jason laughed and said, "Try looking through the eye hole!" :MandJ:

Anyway, both Jones and LaRue were very sweet and told me to enjoy my stay here in NYC. I am so loving this vacation!!! :D Tomorrow, I'm going shopping for my birthday, then we're seeing 42nd Street (the show, not the actual street ;) ).

Johnny Footstool
06-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Sounds like a dream vacation, SB11! :thumbup:

RosieRed
06-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Super Barry, I am so glad you got to meet Larkin! How wonderful!

Sounds like an incredible trip. Keep us posted, and have a great time! Hope they win for you Thursday! :)

Super_Barry11
06-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Hey all!! Just thought I'd check in again... This morning, on my way out to Fifth Avenue for a no holds barred shopping bonanza :MandJ: , I spotted Ryan Freel at the front desk!!! He was holding his baby (who is absolutely darling) and inquiring something to the lady working there. I waited until he was finished with his business, then I said hello, wished him good luck against the Mets, and told him that his baby is adorable. He was really nice, beaming with pride when I fawned all over the baby. He then joined who I assume to be his wife, put the baby in a stroller, and went on a walk.

Later on in the afternoon, I was returning from a very successful shopping venture (except the bookstore I went to was out of the David Wells book), when I decided to wait outside the hotel for some more autographs. I ended up getting Aaron Harang and John Riedling to sign!! Then, I saw Ryan, Mrs. Freel, and darling baby returning from their walk. I actually had my stuff for autographs, but I didn't want to bother him again, especially seeing that he was with his family. Luckily enough, I waited awhile and, after kissing the baby profusely, Freel came back outside the hotel. He recognized me from earlier today and was very pleasant about posing for a picture with me and signing for me!!! Such a sweet guy!! (There ya go, Zombie!! I got a Freel encounter!! :) )

A few minutes later, I spotted Sean Casey and a young boy of about ten getting into a limo. I was sad that I didn't get to speak with Sean, but at least I saw him! Also in that category, I saw Junior today walking right out of the front door of the hotel!! I approached him, but he said he couldn't sign, so I wished him luck and went on my way. At least he said he couldn't sign instead of just ignoring me and running away (Chris Welsh did just that :( ).

It's just been the best vacation ever!! I am walking on air... I bet people think I'm nuts!! :lol: My stepdad bought be two insanely nice rings for my birthday today (one sapphire, one topaz), plus a lot of clothes, a purse, and some, shall we say, more common jewelry. I've got to go get ready for 42nd Street tonight, but if anything exciting happens this evening, I'll let you all know!! :) Thanks for taking the time to read my long posts!! :)

Larkin Fan
06-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Wow, SuperBarry, sounds like an incredible trip. I'm so glad you got to meet Barry! :thumbup:

TeamDunn
06-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Keep em coming! I'm so jealous.

Keep an eye out for Dunn...get pictures...and if you can give him a wedgy, check his underware size...provided he is wearing undies!!! :p: :eek:

:thumbup:

Chip R
06-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Hey all!! Just thought I'd check in again... This morning, on my way out to Fifth Avenue for a no holds barred shopping bonanza :MandJ: , I spotted Ryan Freel at the front desk!!! He was holding his baby (who is absolutely darling) and inquiring something to the lady working there. I waited until he was finished with his business, then I said hello, wished him good luck against the Mets, and told him that his baby is adorable. He was really nice, beaming with pride when I fawned all over the baby. He then joined who I assume to be his wife, put the baby in a stroller, and went on a walk.He didn't hurt you, did he?

jmcclain19
06-23-2004, 04:24 PM
He didn't hurt you, did he?

Can you see him walking a baby in a stroller?

Banging into walls, running people over, hustling to get across the street.

KronoRed
06-23-2004, 05:54 PM

I would agree but I bet Mrs.Freel puts a stop to that :MandJ:

buckeyenut
06-23-2004, 06:08 PM

This has to be the funniest thing I have read in a week. I cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard. Thanks!

:)

Super_Barry11
06-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Well, the dream vacation is officially over. After an extremely harrowing and turbulent flight in which Super_Barry11's mother (who should be called Super_WilyMo26 since she thinks he's a hottie) cried with fear the entire way, Super_Barry11 is finally back in Dayton. Whew!!!

Anyway, Super_Barry11 apologizes for not being able to give an update yesterday, but she got back from the game rather late in the afternoon and had to jump straight into the shower to prepare to go see Wicked on Broadway. (Wicked is AWESOME, and Super_Barry11 now wants to be Kristin Chenowith when she grows up!! :p: )

So on with the good stuff... Yesterday morning, Super_Barry11 wasn't sure what time the Reds players would be leaving the hotel for the 1:10 pm game, so she got up at 7 am just to ensure that she wouldn't miss any of her beloved Reds. Well, as you can imagine, the going was slow for the first hour and a half. During that entire time span, she had a quick chat with John Riedling (who recognized her from the day before) and got an autograph from Dave Miley, who was standing out in front of the hotel smoking. Miley was very pleasant, putting his arm around her and patting her on the back.

After an hour and a half, a cute bellman approached and asked Super_Barry11 if she'd like him to take her back to where the Reds' team bus was waiting for the players. Slightly suspicious of this man's intentions, but wanting to get more autographs, she accepted. No more than five minutes had passed after she found a spot to wait by the team's bus when Ken Griffey Jr. emerged from the hotel. Knowing that Junior most likely wouldn't sign, Super_Barry11 stayed back and wordlessly admired him in his dapper light brown suit as he got in a black SUV and was whisked away.

As another half an hour went by, Super_Barry11 made friends with the driver of the truck that hauled the team's luggage and equipment. As they chatted, she explained to him that she was a huge Reds fan and that this trip was for her upcoming 21st birthday. During this time, Marty Brennaman exited the hotel, talking with another man who appeared mildly familiar. Glancing over toward Super_Barry11 while still conversing with the man, Brennaman waved and winked at her, evidently recognizing her from their previous meeting on Tuesday afternoon. Upon the conclusion of his conversation, Brennaman approached Super_Barry11 and asked her how her trip was going. After a short talk about this said trip, Brennaman bid her farewell.

Next came rush hour; tons of players began spewing out of the building and heading toward the bus in bunches. Super_Barry11 went into Ryan Freel frenzied hustle mode (only WITH the safety switch activated ;) ) and obtained autographs from Juan Castro, Javier Valentin, Todd Jones, Danny Graves, Jermaine Clark, and Jose Acevedo. She had a somewhat humorous conversation with Juan Castro, in which she gushed about his great defensive play the night before. He was surprised, asking her, "You saw that??" She replied, "Yeah, on Sportscenter... I'm a middle infielder too, so I really admire those kinds of plays!" Castro seemed quite amused by this. :)

Todd Jones was quite friendly and approachable, remembering Super_Barry11 from Tuesday night when they exchanged greetings in the hotel lobby. Jones even did his proper duty and at least acted pleased when Super_Barry11 informed him that she was attending that afternoon's game and was very excited. :MandJ:

Jose Acevedo was the last one out to the bus and in a great hurry, but softened a bit when seeing Super_Barry11. He said he could sign "real quick" if she would hold the paper for him as he signed. Well, poor lil Super_Barry11 was soooo nervous and excited to meet the players that she was shaking rather badly. Acevedo laughed and inquired why she was shaking. Suddenly the entire story of how big of a fan she was and how she was in NYC for her upcoming birthday came spilling out. Super_Barry11 was quite embarrassed and sorry for holding Acevedo up by prattling on and on, but he didn't seem phased or aggravated. He even told her that she didn't have to be nervous and that he hopes she has a very happy birthday and a good trip. Gotta love nice guys!! :thumbup:

Well, sadly, there was an encounter yesterday morning which hurt Super_Barry11's feelings pretty badly. A player that she had previously admired greatly was extremely rude to her after she asked for an autograph. All she did was approach him the same way she did the other players, addressing him as "Mr. <Last Name>" and using "please" when asking if he had time to sign a quick autograph. He was very rude, glancing at her, rolling his eyes, and walking away without a word. Unfortunately, this player came out of the hotel with Super_Barry11's favorite player, and if she hadn't wasted her time asking the not-so-friendly player for a signature, she could have spent more time gazing at Barry Larkin in his crisp black suit. Super_Barry11 understands that the less-than-nice player may have been in a hurry or having a bad day, and she certainly didn't want to bother him in any way, but she wishes that he at least would have responded like Junior did, explaining that he was not going to sign. Super_Barry11 hopes that this is not a common occurrance with this particular player and that he is nice to young children that ask him for his autograph. :(

On a brighter note, after the team bus pulled away, the driver of the luggage and equipment truck approached Super_Barry11 to say goodbye. He then wished her a happy birthday and presented her with a ball from one of the equipment bags!! :D How thoughtful!!!

Alright, once again, Super_Barry11 apologizes for the agonizingly lengthy post, but hopes that at least someone enjoys reading it. She has gotten her pics back from the trip, and will post them up on her webpage as soon as she scans them (sometime tonight).

TeamCasey
06-25-2004, 08:51 PM
TeamCasey is grinning from ear to ear and giving a big thumbs up to SB! Happy Birthday, Kiddo! :thumbup:

letsgojunior
06-25-2004, 08:55 PM
LGJ wants to know which player was a jerk, so she can smack him upside the head.;)

Great post SB - glad you had such a good time. Where were you on Thursday by the way - I was in sec 239 near first base.

BoydsOfSummer
06-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Excellent! Sounds like the rest of the crew made up for one bad egg.

Super_Barry11
06-25-2004, 10:56 PM
NYC pics are up!!! (http://community.webshots.com/user/kcourtney11)

They're in the Summer 2004 folder. There are only a few and they aren't great (hey, I was out of my mind with delirious happiness, gimme a break!!), but at least I got them back quickly. If anyone cares, I'll add my pics from my Florida trip tomorrow!! :)

TeamBoone
06-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Love your post, SB. It sounds like your birthday could not possibly be celebrated in a better manner than it was. I'm a Broadway junkie to, but don't get to go very often... not even here in Cincy. Seems like something always intervenes, especially money... it's an expensive hobby.

I really, really, really hope that the rude player wasn't my favorite guy... but somehow, I have this sinking feeling because I remember seeing something similar written on this board about him though I can't remember who wrote it.

PS - as this player was with Barry when displaying such unbecoming actions, I hope Barry chastised him after they got on the bus.

Awesome pics! I love the City too... haven't been in a long time. Your pics are giving me the itch.

KronoRed
06-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Krono says..

Great pics SB! :) and the player who was a jerk? well it's his loss not to have signed for you :D

TeamMorris
06-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Ok...Team Morris wants to take a shot at who the bad "egg" was! Three names come to mind, Kerns, Casey and Dunn :confused: ! I have heard that Kerns can be pretty grumpy but with the "kids" comment, I would have to guess Casey and I hope I am not right! I just hope all was due to a bad day!! TEll us ;) !

Thank you SB for the great reads!! I am sorry your trip is over also! Have really enjoyed it :thumbup: !

Super_Barry11
06-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Oh gosh, no, it wasn't Casey, TM... Super_Barry11 doubts he'd ever treat anyone in that manner!! The fact that she didn't see much of Sean or get to talk to him on the trip is a big disappointment for Super_Barry11. She was really looking forward to meeting him, since he's her 2nd favorite current Red.

Super_Barry11 would really rather not say who the unfriendly player was, because she doesn't want to taint anyone's perception of him. You never know, he could have had a terrible tummyache or perhaps he heard his dog had died that morning. Super_Barry11 is hoping that the whole incident was a fluke and that his personality is much better than she experienced!!!

Thanks for the nice replies (and not making fun of how Super_Barry11 looks in the pics... She's got the whole "deer in the headlights" look down perfectly, doesn't she??) :lol:

Tay
06-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Tay is jealous of SB and hopes to take a similar trip in the future. Awesome pics and stories to go with them!

Tay also thinks the guy in the background of the Freel picture looks just a tad like Kearns.

remdog
06-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Great series of reports, SB. It was great 'seeing' the whole experience through your eyes. It was very refreshing and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rem

GAC
06-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a great vacation. :thumbup:

I bet you could fetch some top $$$'s for that Phil Norton autograph. :roll:

creek14
06-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Glad you had a good time, SB!! :thumbup:

And as for protecting the identity of the jerk. Out him. He deserves it. And I say that even though I think it was probably Adam.

TeamBoone
06-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Glad you had a good time, SB!! :thumbup:

And as for protecting the identity of the jerk. Out him. He deserves it. And I say that even though I think it was probably Adam.

Me too, Creek. And it really pains me, because I'm so crazy about him as a player (and as a man :) ). But I think he's proven more than once to be waaaaay cocky to fans when he's out and about.

It actually surprises me, being that he reporteddly comes from such a down-to-earth family. I guess he's forgotten how to be humble, or perhaps he never was. He's so well liked by his teammates that's it's a shame his fan demeanor may become tainted by his behavior.

TeamDunn
06-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Dunn was a jerk when they were still at Riverfront...so it would not be any shock if it were him. :thumbdn:

I hope he gets undie rott for being mean to our girl...ya know, if it was him! :p:

TeamBoone
06-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I just wish he wouldn't be like that... if it was him.

RFS62
06-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Just an outstanding thread, Super Barry. We're all very happy for you.

:GAC:

TeamMorris
06-28-2004, 10:27 PM
We are still waiting SB! Spill it :confused: !

Super_Barry11
06-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Aww geez... Guess I'm really gonna hafta say it... Ok, here it is- Mr. Cranky Pants was Adam Dunn. :cry:

The more I think about it, the more I realize just how lucky I was that only one player and one announcer were rude to me (Dunn and Chris Welsh). I think it's amazing that all those players, plus Miley and Brennaman, were so wonderful and accommodating. I never thought that this was possible, but I think I'm pulling for the Reds now even HARDER than before, just because meeting so many of them made such a difference in my life.

As for Mr. Dunn, I really hope that maybe I caught him at a bad time and that he treats other fans better than he treated me. If he isn't going to sign, that's fine. However, I feel it is totally unnecessary to be rude to polite fans. I usually only have one Reds poster up in my dorm room (Dunn), but I think I'm going to have to find a replacement, cause looking at the poster of Adam makes me sad. :(

TeamDunn
06-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Nope, he has been rude several times so it looks to just be his arrogance. He has no reason for the arrogance at this point.

KronoRed
06-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Dunn is now on my list :thumbdn:

Get a poster of Casey SB, the nice one :)

RosieRed
06-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Or maybe a poster of Barry? (Why no Barry poster to start with?)

Chip R
06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Aww geez... Guess I'm really gonna hafta say it... Ok, here it is- Mr. Cranky Pants was Adam Dunn. :cry:I figured it was him, SB. Creek posted that he and Austin were kinda avoiding the fans when she went to PIT. Of course he was nice to me at RedsFest in 2002 when I inadvertandly cursed him and Brandon Larson. I shook Austin's hand last year and look what's happened to the boy. Thank Jebus they are shutting down RedsFest for a couple of years. ;)

Is TD going to change her name to TeamMr.CrankyPants now? ;)

KronoRed
06-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Nah she will switch to TeamWilyMo ;)

TeamDunn
06-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Nah she will switch to TeamWilyMo ;)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

TeamWilyMosNiceButt!!! :evil:

Actually I have thought of just being TD.

KronoRed
06-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Well you can't be TeamPena cause then we will call you TP :MandJ:

TeamDunn
06-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Well you can't be TeamPena cause then we will call you TP :MandJ:

:thumbup:

TeamDunn
06-28-2004, 11:06 PM
TD could be for TeamDonkey!!!! Then people will think I am a Front Office fan!!!! :MandJ:

Super_Barry11
06-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Or maybe a poster of Barry? (Why no Barry poster to start with?)

Oh, not to worry, Rosie, I have a Barry Larkin poster, but it's framed and up on the wall here in my basement in Dayton (along with a framed Bret Boone poster). I think I'll spring for another Larkin poster and also one of Casey! :)

RosieRed
06-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Oh, not to worry, Rosie, I have a Barry Larkin poster, but it's framed and up on the wall here in my basement in Dayton (along with a framed Bret Boone poster). I think I'll spring for another Larkin poster and also one of Casey! :)

Okay, that makes much more sense now!

Where does one find Reds posters, anyway?

TeamDunn
06-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Where does one find Reds posters, anyway?

The Reds gift shop had some. Kmart had a Dunn one as of yesterday (Florence one).

KronoRed
06-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Nice selection at posters.com as well :)