PDA

View Full Version : Jack Comes Through (KGJ, Casey, Graves, Larkin) All Stars

oregonred
07-04-2004, 07:09 PM
KGJ starts

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040704&content_id=786637&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp

Oxilon
07-04-2004, 07:10 PM
:thumbup:

KYRedsFan
07-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Great to see. Hopefully injuries don't see them all on the sidelines.

Unassisted
07-04-2004, 07:13 PM
:thumbup: and worth a sticky, I'd say!

oregonred
07-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Reds tie the Marlins and Astros for most NL All-stars with four each.

How about 17 NL All-stars in total from the NL Central. Including six of the strating eight Wow!!!

Six from the NL West and nine from the NL East.

MWM
07-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Not sure why he would choose Graves. The other three I like.

RsRedsfan
07-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Will Casey be back by then? :)

Rocket_Fuel
No matter what we think of Graves, he leads baseball in saves. You can't leave off the guy who is the fastest to certain number of saves in baseball history. Good to see Barry returning to the Midsummer Classic. That should help Barry's HOF bid!

Oxilon
Ddi anybody see the NL SS race?

Last update I saw was Edgar Renteria #1, Everett #2, and only 6 votes (6 freakin' votes!) seperating them.

Reds4Life
07-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Jack couldn't really screw over Jr, he was voted in by the fans.

Nice to see Casey and Larkin get selected as well. Graves, meh.

UKFlounder
07-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Great to see the Captain made it (along with Graves, the Kid & the Mayor. Too bad we don't have any more "the" nicknames, huh? :lol: )

Great news! :thumbup:

MWM
07-04-2004, 07:24 PM
You can't leave off the guy who is the fastest to certain number of saves in baseball history.
I would. He's not a good closer. Only good closers should be on the AS team, IMO.

LvJ
07-04-2004, 07:31 PM
:GAC: :thumbup:

butlerbulldogs
07-04-2004, 07:39 PM
paul wilson instead of graves, would have liked to see Dunn make it, but i think that JD Drew got slighted the most, he would be my vote for the 32nd member, go look at his numbers 19 hrs, great bb/k ratio

BCubb2003
07-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Great to see the Captain made it (along with Graves, the Kid & the Mayor. Too bad we don't have any more "the" nicknames, huh? :lol: )

Great news! :thumbup:

The Babyfaced Assassin, but that's been a long time...

Phhhl
07-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Congratulations Barry! And thank you Jack, who named him.

VR
07-04-2004, 07:46 PM
I would. He's not a good closer. Only good closers should be on the AS team, IMO.

shhhhhh

31 saves
2.89 ERA
All-Star

What a bargain!

The price for Danny Graves just went up by a prospect.

SteelSD
07-04-2004, 07:48 PM
That's a nice tip of the cap to Mr. Larkin.

Other comments (Please note that McKeon does not have all say in the matter of reserves so this is not directed at him):

I love Carlos Beltran's game, but in what universe does he belong on the NL All-Star team after being in the NL for one week?

Moises Alou instead of Adam Dunn as an OF reserve is a joke, especially since they play the same stinkin' position. In fact, Moises Alou from the Cubs instead of Aramis Ramirez from the Cubs is also a farce considering that there's only one 3B reserve. I'm assuming that Casey won't be able to make the game and hope that we...somehow...see both Dunn and Ramirez suit up. They've earned it this year even more than Jack Wilson has, and certainly far more than Alou has. Alou being on the team is my "stinker" pick of the year.

Livan Hernandez might be the best "mandatory" single selection for a very bad team that I've seen in quite a while.

Nice pitching staff. Graves...eh. But overall a much better job than the AL version.

It ain't difficult to see that the Shortstop strength lies in the American League. The best SS in the game got voted on at 3B (A-Rod), Jeter's manning SS, and Tejada, Carlos Guillen, and Michael Young are having significantly better seasons than pretty much anyone running to the SS position in the NL. Michael Young is the best player you've never heard of.

Oxilon
07-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Could Casey skip on playing in the All Star game (injury) and Dunn be his replacement?

oregonred
07-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Steel -- Carlos Beltran can't participate in the game. Voted in by AL players, but not eligible since he switched leagues. McKeon would have to pick him. he can go to the park and hang out, but he can't participate? Odd...

Let's hope Dunn gets Casey's spot.

Looks like Graves and Casey were players' picks?
Jack picked Barry
Fans picked KGJ
I pick Adam Dunn :mhcky21:

Reds4Life
07-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Could Casey skip on playing in the All Star game (injury) and Dunn be his replacement?

Yes, it's possible.

Terry
07-04-2004, 07:57 PM

If Casey skips the game, I would think Overbay would be his replacement, since both play the same position.

Phhhl
07-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Steel, I don't disagree that Adam and Ramirez should go before Alou. But, Alou has almost equaled his home run production from last year already and helped carry the Cubs when Sosa was out. He has been very solid. I don't think it's that bad a selection. Jack probably came down to Larkin vs. Dunn, and decided on Barry because it will be his last appearance and the Reds already had three other reps.

SteelSD
07-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Steel -- Carlos Beltran can't participate in the game. Voted in by AL players, but not eligible since he switched leagues. McKeon would have to pick him. he can go to the park and hang out, but he can't participate? Odd...

Let's hope Dunn gets Casey's spot.

Looks like Graves and Casey were players' picks?
Jack picked Barry
Fans picked KGJ
I pick Adam Dunn :mhcky21:

Thanks for the info about Beltran. It doesn't open up a slot, but that's good to know. Also glad to hear that McKeon picked Barry. That's classy.

I also agree with others that Drew and Abreu were snubbed (for Moises Alou????). Drew, Abreu, and Dunn all deserve to be there. Hopefully, we can get Dunn in through injury replacement.

<Edit: Just found out that Dunn isn't even on the "Final Vote" ballot. What good is leaving the final player up to fans if they can't actually VOTE for the player they want?? Juan Pierre??? Good lord.>

SteelSD
07-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Steel, I don't disagree that Adam and Ramirez should go before Alou. But, Alou has almost equaled his home run production from last year already and helped carry the Cubs when Sosa was out. He has been very solid. I don't think it's that bad a selection. Jack probably came down to Larkin vs. Dunn, and decided on Barry because it will be his last appearance and the Reds already had three other reps.

I hear what you're saying, Santo. It's just that I see Ramirez as the guy who's really done the work this season while Alou hangs on due to name recognition. Miguel Cabrera's another head-scratcher for me, but at least he's put up better numbers than Alou.

He's the one guy on that list that just jumps out and screams "Not Deserving" IMHO. Abreu, Drew, Dunn, Edmonds, Craig Wilson, and Luis Gonzalez are all far more deserving OF's in my eyes.

The best OF we could have had would have been a combination of Bonds/Drew/Berkman/Edmonds/Abreu/Dunn, but such is the All-Star game. Oh well.

KronoRed
07-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Great to see, seems like the past few years we just got the 1 player..like the D-rays :help: :D

traderumor
07-04-2004, 08:20 PM
WMP and Dunn for the HR Derby would be worth watching!

Playadlc
07-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Not one mention of Bobby Abreu not making it? I think he got jobbed more than anyone. Including Adam Dunn. I'd take Abreu before Alou and Ramirez in a heartbeat.

CTA513
07-04-2004, 08:26 PM
WMP and Dunn for the HR Derby would be worth watching!

:thumbup:

I would love to see them in the homerun derby, and if they were in it they would have a pretty good chance to win.

:GAC:

MasonBuzz3
07-04-2004, 08:29 PM
i think dunn and abreu deserve to be on the team more than alou and cabrera

RedDog
07-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Cabs and Alou were players choices which means players respect those two more than Dunn or Abreau.

MasonBuzz3
07-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Cabs and Alou were players choices which means players respect those two more than Dunn or Abreau.
i think cabrera is a good player but is riding his october fame from last year to the all star game and how can the players respect alou more, the guy pisses on his hands ;)

Larkin Fan
07-04-2004, 08:55 PM
This is absolutely wonderful news! :thumbup: So glad that Jack gave Barry the nod. He deserves it.

Phhhl
07-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Well, if ops is the definitive stat in baseball then I guess Drew, Dunn and Abreu should have found their way onto the squad. But, I wonder if Jack even knows what ops is. My guess is that there was a lot of diplomacy involved, phone calls between managers, consideration about getting the teams with the best records a couple more men on the roster... I know Jack loves Cabrera, and who wouldn't. That kid is amazing. I just think people get too worked up about it every year. I am just glad we got four, and that Barry gets one final act in the spotlight. He is going to be treated like a king by the other players that night. Adam is going to have many, many All Star appearances in his future, I am sure.

RedDog
07-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Just to let you know from a reliable source. McKeon only was able to pick three guys because of the situation whereby some teams were not represented. He picked a Marlin, a Red, and a Phillie.

LINEDRIVER
07-04-2004, 09:38 PM
It's great news for the Reds' players and fans, but is it great news for the cheap Reds' front office? lol I'm wondering if any or all of the 4 guys have an All-Star $$$BONUS$$$ clause in their contracts.

Chip R
07-04-2004, 09:58 PM
It's great news for the Reds' players and fans, but is it great news for the cheap Reds' front office? lol I'm wondering if any or all of the 4 guys have an All-Star $$$BONUS$$$ clause in their contracts.
According to Jax' website, none of the selected players receives a bonus if they are selected to the ASG. However, if Casey is selected to the ASG in 2005 or he gets 640 more ABs by the end of 2005, his option for 2006 at $8.6M automatically kicks in.

ChatterRed
07-04-2004, 10:05 PM
I was really shocked that Paul Wilson didn't make it until I saw the stats of the starting pitchers that did make it. That is one heck of a pitching lineup for the NL including the relievers.

M2
07-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Just to give you a sense of how amazing Larkin making the All-Star team as a 40-year-old shortstop is, I can only find three players in major league history who played SS with any regularity at the age of 40 -- Honus Wagner, Luke Appling and Ozzie Smith (who really was more of a half-timer by that point in his career).

That Larkin still plays the position is a triumph in itself, that he's still good enough to make a All-Star team should be the capstone on a HOF career. Mortals don't do this. Heck, most immortals can't do it either.

Playadlc
07-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Just to give you a sense of how amazing Larkin making the All-Star team as a 40-year-old shortstop is, I can only find three players in major league history who played SS with any regularity at the age of 40 -- Honus Wagner, Luke Appling and Ozzie Smith (who really was more of a half-timer by that point in his career).

That Larkin still plays the position is a triumph in itself, that he's still good enough to make a All-Star team should be the capstone on a HOF career. Mortals don't do this. Heck, most immortals can't do it either.

Outstanding research, M2. This should seal the deal for Barry to get in the Hall. I mean, what more can the guy do?

If he doesn't make the Hall of Fame it will be a travesty.

Bill
07-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Well done Jack. This should put to rest the notions that Jack carries a grudge against Larkin and Griffey. McKeon is a professional and chose Larkin for baseball reasons just like he decided to pitch around Casey and pitch to Griffey based on baseball reasoning. That day though there were a few here that called Jack all sorts of childish names. Let's see if those still hold a grudge toward Jack for the "stare".

Tay
07-05-2004, 01:40 AM
I agree Bill. Props to Trader Jack for putting past issues aside to allow the Captain to make one final all star appearance. I can honestly say that if I were in McKeon's shoes, Larkin doesn't make the team. But, like everyone else I am very happy that he was included.

Cheers, Jack :GAC:

RosieRed
07-05-2004, 03:35 AM
You guys, I am thrilled that Larkin was selected! I was jumping around my living room when I found out. Just outstanding news. :thumbup: If this really is his last year of playing (hmm...), what a way to go out. Congrats to the Captain, and thanks to McKeon for picking him!

And congrats to Junior, Casey and Graves. Good stuff, having four Reds named to the team!

Sweetstop
07-05-2004, 08:32 AM

Amen, M2

As I always say, never underestimate Barry Larkin. Thank you, Jack.

Along with the 500+HR NL outfield, it will be a very nice story for MLB to have three 40 yr. olds (also NL) showing they still have the right stuff. Even though I personally think what Barry has accomplished over 19 years as a shortstop is the most impressive of the trio, it won't hurt his HOF chances to be lumped w/ Clemens and Johnson on a national stage.

GAC
07-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Does anyone not think that this is Barry's last year? ;)

KittyDuran
07-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Well done Jack. This should put to rest the notions that Jack carries a grudge against Larkin and Griffey. McKeon is a professional and chose Larkin for baseball reasons just like he decided to pitch around Casey and pitch to Griffey based on baseball reasoning. That day though there were a few here that called Jack all sorts of childish names. Let's see if those still hold a grudge toward Jack for the "stare".

I can honestly say that if I were in McKeon's shoes, Larkin doesn't make the team. But, like everyone else I am very happy that he was included.

:clap: Couldn't said it better Bill and Tay!!!

Food for thought... if Barry didn't make it on the team how many things would've been said about Jack on this board....like he's holding a grudge, the old goat has lost his mind, he was sleeping thru the selection process, etc. :thumbdn:

Sweetstop
07-05-2004, 11:13 AM
:clap: Couldn't said it better Bill and Tay!!!

Food for thought... if Barry didn't make it on the team how many things would've been said about Jack on this board....like he's holding a grudge, the old goat has lost his mind, he was sleeping thru the selection process, etc. :thumbdn:

By all means, let's make something negative out of something positive for the Reds, the fans, Jack, Barry and Jr....Geez! :confused:

Chip R
07-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Of course they would have said that. That's life on RedsZone. Today you're a hero, tomorrow you're a bum.

Matt700wlw
07-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Glad to see fair and deserving representation for our redlegs

Danny Graves having 31 saves I think is deserving, regardless of how much of a headache he can sometimes cause us :thumbup: