PDA

View Full Version : Which teams are most in need of new/revised uniforms?

macro
07-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Well, since the Reds chances are pretty much down the drain, I think I'd rather talk about something other than the results we're seeing on the field. The Pirates and Reds wearing of throwbacks this weekend got me to thinking about this:

Which MLB teams are most in need of new uniform designs or at least revisions to what they currently wear? Here's my list:

Diamondbacks: Are they purple and teal, like at home, or are they black and gold, like on the road? The best thing this franchise could do is pick a design and cap logo and use them all the time. This mixed identity thing just doesn't get it.

Mets: Get rid of the hideous black caps and take the black out of the uniforms altogether!!! No one further than three feet away can even make out the "NY" logo on those black caps. Whoever decided that navy on black makes a good color combination? They had a classic look in '69 and they went back to it for a time in the 90s, if I'm not mistaken. They need to dust those off...immediately.

Blue Jays: This one is easy. Dump the ugly black and graphite things they started wearing in April and bring back their late 90s look.

Twins: They need to decide if they're the 1987 and later Twins with the "M" logo and matching uniforms, or the pre-1988 Twins with the "TC" caps and corresponding uniforms. Their choice for the past couple of seasons has been to match the old "TC" caps with the "M" uniforms. Am I the only one who thinks that they're mismatched?

Royals: They had a classic, then they ruined it with all the black. All they have to do is bring back the ones they had. It wasn't broke, so why the "fix"?

Five other teams have good designs, but a color shift here and there would help:

Marlins: Nice design, the same one they started with in '93. But must there be SO much black? Black logo on a black cap/helmet? See: Mets. Just add a little color, guys, and you've got the makings of a classic.

Reds (Road): Red caps and red sleeves, home and road. Please and Thank you!

Pirates: A little more yellow/gold wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't mind to see the old mustard caps brought back. Hey, it looked good on Clemente.

Astros: The only changes I'd like to see here would be a permanent change to the burnt orange caps that are now used as alternates, with helmets the same color. All the lettering on the uniforms is orange, yet the caps are black. Match 'em up, boys.

Cardinals (Road): Same as the Astros. The lettering on their road grays is red, yet they top it off with navy caps and helmets. Again, match the lettering and the helmets, please.

As you can tell, I absolutely hate MLB teams' obsession with using black. I can live with teams like the Reds and Royals using it, although I strongly disagree with it. But other teams have shoved it into their designs with disastrous results (see: Rangers alternates, Mets). I also hate the solid-color jerseys that so many teams wear as alternates. They're okay for spring training or BP, but when the game starts, put on your white or your gray.

What I'd like to see is more teams with bright colors, just used very sparingly. I don't want to see a return to the eye-numbing styles of the 70s, but rather more teams take advantage of the opportunity to wear bright colors as trim, lettering, and on their caps/helmets. I get tired of looking out on the field and seeing one black or navy team playing another black or navy team.

Chip R
07-25-2004, 07:07 PM
I also hate the solid-color jerseys that so many teams wear as alternates. They're okay for spring training or BP, but when the game starts, put on your white or your gray.

What I'd like to see is more teams with bright colors, just used very sparingly. I don't want to see a return to the eye-numbing styles of the 70s, but rather more teams take advantage of the opportunity to wear bright colors as trim, lettering, and on their caps/helmets. I get tired of looking out on the field and seeing one black or navy team playing another black or navy team.Amen! :clap:

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Just get rid of all the black, please. It's starting to get ridiculous. And you know my feelings about the Reds uniform, macro. :roll:

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Notice that the Reds couldn't even wear the throwback uniform without hints of black all around? (Helmets, sleeves) Kinda ruins it for me, not to mention the shabby looking throwback stuff that Majestic is putting out.(Attention to detail is awful) Not even close to the originals.

Mitchell and Ness. Now there is where MLB should always go for the throwback uniforms.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:14 PM
This one's for you, Randy.

KittyDuran
07-25-2004, 07:18 PM
I LUV those unis... not only because they were the first for me as a Reds fan, but they were simple and stylish (not fadish sp?). (Gully looks great - were did you get the pic RFS?

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Now that you got me started, another thing that bothers me is that hardly anyone wears real stirrups anymore. I hate the solid color socks and the socks with the stripe are just hideous. Bring back the stirrups.

I heard Rob Dibble on the Dan Patrick show the other day, and he said that he found an old pair of wool stirrup socks from the 70's in the recesses of Riverfront Stadium and wore them for the majority of his career with the Reds. He said that you could find all kind of old uniforms and such in Riverfront. Said the Reds never got rid of anything, and added his tightwad comment about the organization. Dont care for Dibble, but if the shoe fits.................

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh...............thanks RFS62. That is tops in my book. Have one of those jerseys in my collection, with the #5 on the back.

Like the low stirrups and the pants at mid calf as well.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure where I came across that one, Kitty. Found it on the internet a while back. Feel free to download it.

I've got a few others from the 60's and 70's if you're interested I could post.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Here's a different version.

KittyDuran
07-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Now that you got me started, another thing that bothers me is that hardly anyone wears real stirrups anymore. I hate the solid color socks and the socks with the stripe are just hideous. Bring back the stirrups. I think that the stirrups are long gone - only because you have so many players who never really wore them growing up. Agree with the stripe. The Dragons last Saturday were wearing green socks with an awful horizontal black stripe - YEECH!

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:22 PM
The Maloney picture is from '67.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:22 PM
And here's a great version with the vests. Today's vests are a joke, they look like they just left off the sleeves.

KittyDuran
07-25-2004, 07:23 PM
No I don't like the pinstripe look - even on "blondie"... ;) Too much like the the evil empire.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Gotta show us the road uni from that era, RFS62. It was the real classic of the two, in my book.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Here's another one.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Another

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Notice Joey Jay's shoes, with the old style leather soles. (spikes riveted on the bottom) Still have a pair of Wilson "kangaroo's" that I wore my sophomore year in high school, before our coach finally relented, letting us wear white Puma's with a red stripe. Terrible decision. Those were "real" baseball shoes.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:31 PM
50's era Robby.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Great pics, RFS62!

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Gotta show us the road uni from that era, RFS62. It was the real classic of the two, in my book.

I can't find a road version in my collection, Randy. I agree they were great.

I had Wilson "kangaroos" too. I was a Wilson man, still have an A-2000 ready to go whenever they come to their senses and give me a call.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Great pics, RFS62!

Thanks.

Right click on them and save them, and you've got a pretty good screen saver.

westofyou
07-25-2004, 07:34 PM
1926 Reds, note patch on right shoulder commerating the 50th anniversity of the National League

http://www.deadballart.com/sabr/images/rube_bressler.jpg

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Hey WOY, I know you must have some good ones with your collection.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:35 PM
I have an A2000 as well. What are they waiting for? ;)

RFS62
07-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Hey, I just figured out you can attach more than one pic at once..... woo hoo.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:38 PM
The Rose picture in Shea Stadium is the road version from that period, RFS62. Remember the road uniform with "Old Red" on the left chest. I think it is from 1956. They only wore it one season. Have one of those in my collection as well, with #18 on the back.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:42 PM
The small picture of Frank Robinson is also the road uniform from '61-'66. That is a real early version of the uniform, before they added the black trim around the sleeves. I believe that they initially added one black sleeve patch in memory of owner Powell Crosley, and then added the other black sleeve trim later.

westofyou
07-25-2004, 07:43 PM
http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/cards/bench.jpg

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/cards/davey.jpg

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/cards/heine.jpg

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/cards/rook.jpg

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/cards/team40.jpg

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/cards/jm.jpg

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:51 PM
This year's pitching staff could use an infusion of the likes of pitchers on this thread. Don Gullett, Jim Maloney, Joey Jay and Paul Derringer. Darrel Osteen would probably even make this staff! :MandJ:

Like the photos of Jim Thorpe, Klu, Mugsy McGraw in his World Champions uniform and Heinie Groh and his famous "bottle bat."

Who is that in the 1926 picture, WOY? I was going to say Hal Chase, but I don't think so.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Chase only played for the Reds from 1916-18 so that couldn't be him.

westofyou
07-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Rube Bressler

westofyou
07-25-2004, 08:05 PM
This fellow was the 3rd baseman on the Cubs, famous trivia answer.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/cards/1905.jpg

1909 Reds Road Uniforms, the player leaning on the bat is Hans Lobert, fastest man in the game.

He once raced a horse around the bases following an exhibition game. On October 12, 1910 at Field Day in Cincinnati, he was clocked rounding the bases in 13.8 seconds.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/cards/hans.jpg

RedsBaron
07-25-2004, 08:44 PM
This one's for you, Randy.
I'll thank you too RFS62. The Reds uniform of 1968-71 is my favorite.

RFS62
07-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Well then, here's another...

Yachtzee
07-26-2004, 10:03 AM
I'll thank you too RFS62. The Reds uniform of 1968-71 is my favorite.

Yes! I'm firmly in that camp as well. Never got to see them in a game (born in '71), but I think those unis are far and away the best.

macro
07-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Man, I am lovin' all the old pictures! When I get home I'll have to save some of them to my hard drive.

Back to the subject of the other teams for a minute, I started to name this thread something like "Best and Worst Uniforms Today", but then I figured that "best" is entirely in the eye of the beholder and there would be 15 different teams mentioned.

I really do think that most teams have pretty good uniforms right now, but as mentioned earlier, some need to take advantage of the opportunity to use something besides black or navy.

Some teams' uniforms ain't all that great, but they are classics and shouldn't be changed. My question is this: How long should a uniform be in use before it can be deemed "a classic", and which teams fit the category right now?

cumberlandreds
07-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Well then, here's another...

This is my favorite too. I wish they would go back to this look. Also every team that is using black should dump it. They all look hideous.

Chip R
07-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Now that you got me started, another thing that bothers me is that hardly anyone wears real stirrups anymore. I hate the solid color socks and the socks with the stripe are just hideous. Bring back the stirrups.
I think these old-timers did quite well without stirrups. ;)

http://www.1869reds.com/images/real1869.jpg

WVRedsFan
07-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Here's a different version.

That's my second favorite of all time. My favorites are the ones they wore in 1961-66 - no wishbone C and use of navy blue around the sleeves, but these are second best.

Great picture of Maloney!

RollyInRaleigh
07-26-2004, 12:29 PM
WVRedsFan,

Navy blue was indeed the secondary color of the '61-'66 uniforms, used as an outline color in the "oval C" on the home uniforms, cap and numbers, and as an outline for "CINCINNATI," the cap's "oval C", and the uniform numbers on the road grey's, but the vest sleeves were adorned with black. The black band was originally used as a memorial to the death of Powell Crosley, on one sleeve. The second black band was added later. Later on, names were added to the backs of those uniforms, under the number, and black was also used for the names.

If they must have a secondary color, I much prefer the use of navy blue. I would much prefer that they stick to red and white with the only black belonging to the shoes.

smith288
07-26-2004, 12:45 PM
I like their current uni's. I could stand more red in the away uniforms but by and large, they are very classy and pleasing.

I think the all whites are ugly. The A's uniforms are ugly too and they are similiar. They look like "Men in tights". At least pen stripes or trim on the pants takes away from the male ballerina look.

Fullboat
07-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Wow!!!This is a Great Thread. :thumbup:

OldXOhio
07-26-2004, 01:30 PM
The Cubs away blues have got to go, once and for all. I keep waiting for Ryno and Jodi Davis to reappear.

IowaRed
07-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Harry Steinfeldt, 3rd basemen for the Tinker/Evers/Chance infield of the Cubs last WS Champs 1908

westofyou
07-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Harry Steinfeldt, 3rd basemen for the Tinker/Evers/Chance infield of the Cubs last WS Champs 1908

Correct, Harry is sporting the 1905 Reds away jersey with it's classic late 19th century turned up collar.

Chip R
07-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Correct, Harry is sporting the 1905 Reds away jersey with it's classic late 19th century turned up collar.
The first preppy? ;)

Johnny Footstool
07-26-2004, 04:08 PM
As a child of the '80s, I believe all teams need to adopt powder-blue road unis, except the Astros, who must return to their Dreamsicle jerseys, and the Pirates and A's, who shall wear yellow.

macro
07-26-2004, 04:33 PM
As a child of the '80s, I believe all teams need to adopt powder-blue road unis, except the Astros, who must return to their Dreamsicle jerseys, and the Pirates and A's, who shall wear yellow.

Only if we can have Journey, Foreigner, and REO Speedwagon blaring from the speakers in-between innings. Hey, come to think of it, let's do it!!

:lol:

Redsland
07-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Don't stop believin'.

:rockon:

jmcclain19
07-26-2004, 04:47 PM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm

Baseball Hall of Fame's Uniform Database

Tony Cloninger
07-26-2004, 04:49 PM
If you notice it seems a lot of the expansion teams starting from the 1961 Angels and Senators (who beacame the Rangers) and then the AStros and Mets....Pads....Expos....and so on.............those are the teams that always seem to change their uniform and they always seem to have the ugliest.

They can never stick to one design or they put out really bad designs (Astros.....Padres....that Angel outfit with the wings?? and all that Disney stuff) Most of the earlier teams had their uniforms for so many years that there was no sense in changing them and finally they became classics beacuse of it. (It helps if the team always wins...like the Dodgers and Yankees)

I think the Padres new unis and the Astros...look very good.

That black stuff started with i think the White Sox.....and then the Falcons in the NFL got into that beacuse of Glanville.....so then it became cool and now it's just a cliche.

WVRedsFan
07-26-2004, 05:07 PM
WVRedsFan,

Navy blue was indeed the secondary color of the '61-'66 uniforms, used as an outline color in the "oval C" on the home uniforms, cap and numbers, and as an outline for "CINCINNATI," the cap's "oval C", and the uniform numbers on the road grey's, but the vest sleeves were adorned with black. The black band was originally used as a memorial to the death of Powell Crosley, on one sleeve. The second black band was added later. Later on, names were added to the backs of those uniforms, under the number, and black was also used for the names.

If they must have a secondary color, I much prefer the use of navy blue. I would much prefer that they stick to red and white with the only black belonging to the shoes.

Of course, you are correct. I had forgotten about that! Anyway, I like the navy blue and would vote for that uniform again with the addition of the wishbone C on the cap and the vest. The white/red cap (sometimes called "ice cream caps" by Kevin Mitchell) is a trademark of those uniforms.

westofyou
07-26-2004, 05:14 PM
If you notice it seems a lot of the expansion teams starting from the 1961 Angels and Senators (who beacame the Rangers) and then the AStros and Mets....Pads....Expos....and so on.............those are the teams that always seem to change their uniform and they always seem to have the ugliest.

They can never stick to one design or they put out really bad designs (Astros.....Padres....that Angel outfit with the wings?? and all that Disney stuff) Most of the earlier teams had their uniforms for so many years that there was no sense in changing them and finally they became classics beacuse of it. (It helps if the team always wins...like the Dodgers and Yankees)

I think the Padres new unis and the Astros...look very good.

That black stuff started with i think the White Sox.....and then the Falcons in the NFL got into that beacuse of Glanville.....so then it became cool and now it's just a cliche.

It's an attempt to catch up to the branding of the Traditionals, in the NHL it's the Orginal Six, in the NBA Celtics, Knicks and Lakers.

Not content to let a brand settle into the subconcsious of the fans teams attempt to redefine their look in curent standards.

The Mets colors were a mixture of Giant Orange and Dodger Blue and should have stayed as thus, Houston saddled themselves with a bad name not once but twice. The Rangers and Angels have changed more often then most and the newer teams still give me WFL feelings at times.

RollyInRaleigh
07-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Of course, you are correct. I had forgotten about that! Anyway, I like the navy blue and would vote for that uniform again with the addition of the wishbone C on the cap and the vest. The white/red cap (sometimes called "ice cream caps" by Kevin Mitchell) is a trademark of those uniforms.

Don't you think the "oval C" with the navy blue outline looked much better on the "ice cream caps" than the all red "wishbone C"? The thin blue outline gave that cap some character. I don't know what it is, but with the '61-'66 uniforms, I really like that "oval C."

If you want to look at a really cool site for Reds memorabilia, go to google and check out "Major Dave Grob's uniforms and equipment." What a collection! I love the site.

WVRedsFan
07-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Don't you think the "oval C" with the navy blue outline looked much better on the "ice cream caps" than the all red "wishbone C"? The thin blue outline gave that cap some character. I don't know what it is, but with the '61-'66 uniforms, I really like that "oval C."

If you want to look at a really cool site for Reds memorabilia, go to google and check out "Major Dave Grob's uniforms and equipment." What a collection! I love the site.

Yes, I do, but it's the only time I've ever seen non-wishbone C lettering on a Reds uniform. I was too young to remember, but I bet there was a fuss over that back in 1961.