PDA

View Full Version : Next season "Simpsons" news

savafan
07-28-2004, 01:53 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=797&e=11&u=/eo/14595

By Josh Grossberg

A Simpsons toon is coming out of the closet. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Speaking during a weekend panel at San Diego's Comic-Con convention, show producers dropped a bomb: An upcoming Simpsons story line will focus on what happens when Springfield legalizes gay marriage.

"We have a show where, to raise money, Springfield legalizes gay marriage," producer Al Jean told comic book fans. "Homer becomes a minister by going on the Internet and filling out a form. A longtime character comes out of the closet, but I'm not saying who."

And with that, Simpsons aficionados got their gaydar on and began winnowing down the list of potential suspects.

The early favorite appears to be billionaire Monty Burns' ever-devoted sidekick, Waylon Smithers, who--aside from being a yes-man--has been known to collect Malibu Stacy dolls, lives in the gay part of town (where Homer once shacked up with two gay guys), has a Mr. Burns screensaver and dreams of a naked Mr. Burns jumping out of a birthday cake.

But that might be too easy. According to online fan scuttlebutt, there are other characters who might be secretly having a gay old time in Springfield, including Homer's regular-guy cohorts at the nuclear plant, Carl and Lenny, as well as Moe the bartender, the Reverend Lovejoy, Principal Skinner and Comic Book Guy. Of course, the producers didn't rule out a lesbian wedding, either.

"It's Homer!" said a joking Simpsons creator Matt Groening to conventiongoers.

The gay marriage-themed episode is scheduled to air in January.

While the coming-out comments generated the most interest, the show's brain trust also outlined some other upcoming plots. For instance, Springfield residents will also have a cow over corrupt Mayor Quimby and seek to recall him from office--a riff on California recall election in which Arnold Schwarzenegger defeated then Governor Gray Davis. No word whether The Simpsons' Ah-nuld look-alike, Rainier Wolfcastle, will be leading the effort to replace Quimby.

Meanwhile, celebs expected to lend their voices to the show next season include Kim Cattrall, Ray Romano, James Caan and rapper 50 Cent.

Groening also addressed the long-talked about Simpsons animated movie. He said that plans are still underway, but work on a big screen version won't begin until the tube series takes its final bow.

That could be awhile.

Now heading into its 16th season, The Simpsons is still posting solid ratings and consistently ranks number one in its Sunday time slot for adults 18-49, the category coveted by advertisers. It has also become the longest running comedy series on the tube and has spawned a billion-dollar franchise for Fox, which after some protracted negotiations, agreed to a new four-year deal with the show's six stars that gave each of them a whopping pay raise to $250,000 per episode.

Plenty of d'oh, indeed.

Red Leader
07-28-2004, 03:50 AM
I read that Warren Sapp was going to be doing an episode with Yao Ming after the Super Bowl next year as well. There was a third athlete mentioned but I can't remember who it was.

Chip R
07-28-2004, 08:51 AM
My money's on Carl and Lenny.

Unassisted
07-28-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm surprised that Fox is letting them do this. I'm sure that we can look forward to a couple of Fox affiliates balking at showing this episode. No way this airs in Salt Lake City.

WVRed
07-28-2004, 09:06 AM
Smithers gets my vote.

WVRed
07-28-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised that Fox is letting them do this. I'm sure that we can look forward to a couple of Fox affiliates balking at showing this episode. No way this airs in Salt Lake City.

I dont know, I had read that the South Park episode calling the Mormons "dum dum dum dum dum" was aired in Utah, and nobody noticed. This might be different though, where Fox is local channels and Comedy Central is cable/satellite.

Chip R
07-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Smithers gets my vote.
Too easy. Besides he'd never give anyone else his devotion but Burns. It'll probably end up being someone like Capt. McAllister or Gil or Moleman.

IowaRed
07-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Ol' Gil? I hope not, he's been going through a rough stretch. I'm going with another fairly obvious one-Patty Bouvier.

Chip R
07-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Ol' Gil? I hope not, he's been going through a rough stretch. I'm going with another fairly obvious one-Patty Bouvier.
I doubt it'd be Patty cause what would happen with Selma? Would all 3 live there or would Selma be on her own?

IowaRed
07-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Tough call. There's always Jub Jub to keep Selma company

Chip R
07-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Tough call. There's always Jub Jub to keep Selma company
Not to mention McGyver reruns. I think it'll be a minor character cause they did this when they said someone would die and it turned out to be Maude Flanders.

15fan
07-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Well, Homer is always saying things like

"Stupid sexy Flanders!"

Agree that Smithers is too obvious.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's gonna be...Moe.

Puffy
07-28-2004, 11:13 AM
I think its gonna be Moe also - but my surprise pick is Principal Skinner.

Chip R
07-28-2004, 11:19 AM
I think its gonna be Moe also - but my surprise pick is Principal Skinner.
Nah, not those two. Moe's always on the make - especially when Marge and Homer have falling outs - and Skinner has Edna Crabapple.

Puffy
07-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Nah, not those two. Moe's always on the make - especially when Marge and Homer have falling outs - and Skinner has Edna Crabapple.

Skinner and Edna broke up - then she dated Comic Book Guy, then decided it was better for her to be alone.

And Skinner, dominating mother, jilted at alter - I don't know, I think it could be him.

Chip R
07-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Skinner and Edna broke up - then she dated Comic Book Guy, then decided it was better for her to be alone.

And Skinner, dominating mother, jilted at alter - I don't know, I think it could be him.Ah, I didn't know that. I haven't been keeping up too well on the newer episodes. She dated Comic Book Guy, huh? That's funny cause he dated Skinner's mom for a bit too.

IowaRed
07-28-2004, 11:39 AM
another longshot-Barney Gumbel

HotCorner
07-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Groundskeeper Willie!

TRF
07-28-2004, 12:26 PM
grounds keeper willie is a manly man. he once took on a wolf you know. and won.

GoReds
07-28-2004, 12:28 PM
If the episode is about gay marriage, doesn't it have to be two? Smithers may be one of the two. I'm betting the other is Moe or Barney.

Would be funny if Flanders found out he was.

Puffy
07-28-2004, 12:31 PM
If the episode is about gay marriage, doesn't it have to be two? Smithers may be one of the two. I'm betting the other is Moe or Barney.

Would be funny if Flanders found out he was.

I thought about Ned too - but he is too religious and would never do the gay marriage thing.

WVRed
07-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Im going to go out on a limb and if say if its a kid.......

Millhouse.

RedFanAlways1966
07-28-2004, 01:07 PM
<belch> BARNEY <belch>

What better person than the guy who everyone hangs with at the corner bar?

Rojo
07-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Fearless prediction: Lindsey Nagle and Cookie Kwan, number 1 on the westside, tie the knot.

CrackerJack
07-28-2004, 01:21 PM
It's Carl and Lenny....

IowaRed
07-28-2004, 01:40 PM
If Frank Grimes hadn't been electrocuted I would have definitely gone with "Grimey"

westofyou
07-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Poochie the Dog and Roy

Ruth Powers and Luann Van Houten

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Fearless prediction: Lindsey Nagle and Cookie Kwan, number 1 on the westside, tie the knot.

Ruth Powers and Luann Van Houten

Both of these seem extremely viable.

Personally, I think it'll be Patty marrying Selma, but the marriage will be annulled (since it is incestuous), leaving Selma's last name "Bouvier Terwilliger Hutz McClure Bouvier Bouvier".

Yachtzee
07-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Kang and Kodos?

Smithers and Sideshow Bob?

Lou and Eddie?

Martin and Nelson?

Patty and Miss Hoover?

TRF
07-28-2004, 03:01 PM
isn't Chief Wiggums divorced? hmm?

Apu would also be a shocker

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Chief Wiggum is still married, as far as I know (wife=Sarah).

Apu likes the ladies a little too much to be gay (remember his dalliance with the Squishy Lady?).

WVRed
07-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Apu likes the ladies a little too much to be gay (remember his dalliance with the Squishy Lady?).

Could be a Mr Garrison situation.;)

Phoenix
07-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Everyone knows that Smithers is gay, but he's not quite out of the closet.

WVRed
08-31-2005, 11:59 AM

Didnt realize this thread hadnt been addressed yet, but step forward and claim your prize.;)