PDA

View Full Version : Devils Rejects(House of 1000 Corpses 2)

WVRed
08-02-2004, 10:35 PM
I've always had a fascination with horror movies, so this one definitely caught my attention. I rented HO1000C when it first came out, and I had mixed feelings about the movie. It was probably the most messed up movie I had ever watched(anybody who has seen it knows what im talking about), but it seems like its the movies that freak you out the most always leave an impact, and this one certainly did.

I watched FUSE's Uranium tonight, and they were on the set of Devils Rejects talking with Sid Haig(Spaulding), Bill Moseley(Otis Driftwood), Sherri Moon Zombie(Baby) and the master himself, Rob Zombie. From everything I have been reading, they are saying that this movie will make the first one look like Finding Nemo.

I will be extremely busy from September-December, so I wont get around to seeing it, but I will definitely rent it when it comes out next summer.

zombie-a-go-go
08-03-2004, 09:09 AM
The first House was one of the most disappointing horror films I've ever seen (not even close to one of the worst, but disappointing). This news leaves me feeling rather... ambivalent.

Now Romero's new film, though... :thumbup:

WVRed
08-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Saw it today, and I've got to admit, this was a whole lot better than HO1000C.

The first movie focused more on the violence and how sadistic the Firefly family was, but this was more of a vigilante justice film as the Sherriff tracks them down.

There will be no third movie, since everyone dies. :(

savafan
08-03-2005, 11:34 PM
There will be no third movie, since everyone dies. :(

Rosebud is a sled and the Titanic sinks.

Thanks!

KronoRed
08-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Wait..how can everyone dieing be a bad thing? we are talking Zombies here aren't we? ;)

WVRed
08-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Wait..how can everyone dieing be a bad thing? we are talking Zombies here aren't we? ;)

Nah, no zombies.

HO1000C was a cheap Texas Chainsaw Massacre ripoff that was set more to offend than it was to scare. It was about a group of kids that picked up a hitchhiker and took her back to her place after their car broke down. Then, well, it goes downhill from there. The clown

Devils Rejects focuses on the same family, except they are on the run from the law and a hellbent sherriff trying to avenge his brother, who died in the first movie.

Blimpie
08-04-2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks! :laugh: :bowrofl:

LvJ
08-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Ouch.. (http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/d/devils_rejects.html)

I'll netflix it ;)

WVRed
08-04-2005, 04:43 PM

Thanks!

Should have done it in white. Sorry for the spolier. :evil:

savafan
11-10-2005, 01:46 PM
All I can say is wow! I finally got around to seeing it today, having purchased a copy at Best Buy (they were selling it for $24.99, but if you bought House of 1000 Corpses with it, you got both for $20.00).

This was much better than HO1000C. Not so much a horror film as a vigilante film, as WVRed already stated.

The thing that stood out the most to me was the direction. Rob Zombie set out to emulate the directors of the 1970's, and did so flawlessly. He has greatly improved as a director with this picture, and I was very impressed.

Sure, it was depraved, sickening and ultra-violent, but that is why you watch a movie like this.

Jaycint
11-10-2005, 02:20 PM
I bought this the other day and loved it. The ending sequence with the Freebird song playing was classic. Tons of blood, sadism and cursing, truly a film made for me. :)

Joseph
11-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Having a hand firmly in the genre myself [everyone call your cable provider and ask for the The Horror Channel (www.thehorrorchannel.com) this latest is a classic grindcore/exploitation film. It is far superior to House in many ways. The best thing, for me at least, is that you find yourself rooting for the bad guys in a twisted way. You want them to get away from the vigilante sheriff and give him what for. You see how this dysfunction is actually a family, twisted as it may be. Unlike so many horror films, you see these people as human, and even though they are monsters in their actions, they aren't monsters like a Jason or Freddy is in typical horror fare.

Great great film. It's easily in my top 5 horror films of all time. I bought the 2 disc dvd Tuesday and have watched it both nights since. If you like gritty horror, you'll love Devil's Rejects.

Yachtzee
11-10-2005, 06:16 PM

Thanks!

Soylent Green is People.

MrCinatit
11-10-2005, 08:19 PM
have not seen the remake, but i have to say the original was rather ho-hum. nothing i had not seen before.

WVRed
11-10-2005, 09:55 PM
have not seen the remake, but i have to say the original was rather ho-hum. nothing i had not seen before.

The original is a Texas Chainsaw remake. Nothing more, nothing less.

The sequal is 100 times better. I was about to put off seeing the movie before I finally gave in and went to see it, and im glad I did.

Its not near as dark as HO1000C in terms of the violence. There were some moments in the movie that did make me cringe(such as the scene where Otis used the gun on the woman in the motel), but overall, it was a good movie if you can endure it.

Also, according to our good friend wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_ordered_by_uses_of_the_word_%22****% 22), The Devils Rejects used the "f" word 560 times in 100 minutes, making it the most times that word has ever been used in a movie so far.

savafan
11-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Also, according to our good friend wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_ordered_by_uses_of_the_word_%22****% 22), The Devils Rejects used the "f" word 560 times in 100 minutes, making it the most times that word has ever been used in a movie so far.

If you count the outtakes, add another 560.

zombie-a-go-go
11-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Guess I'll check this one out after all...

Johnny Footstool
11-11-2005, 11:04 AM
I saw the last 20 minutes of House -- should I bother watching the rest of it?

zombie-a-go-go
11-11-2005, 11:08 AM

Nope.

And I recommend heavy drinking or hypnosis to rid your mind of those 20 minutes you were unlucky enough to stumble upon.

cincinnati chili
11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Soylent Green is People.

DanO gets fired, or torn apart by squirrels.

Joseph
11-11-2005, 12:35 PM

Depends on if you are a Zombie fan, or a fan of the people in the film. I presonally loved it. I understand that people don't love it, and thats ok too, but I do.

Jaycint
11-11-2005, 02:01 PM
HO1000C is bearable in my opinion but doesn't hold a candle to Devil's Reject's. Zombie has really grown as a film maker in my opinion. Can't wait to see his next project.

WMR
11-11-2005, 02:13 PM
I've seen 'em both. Like someone else said, if you're a fan of Zombie, or this overall genre, I'd take the time to watch HO1000 Corpses. It has it's moments. The Grandpa character is especially funny, IMO, esp. when he does his stand-up act.

Don't watch Devil's Rejects if you're easily disturbed b/c this movie is very disturbing and very graphic. Lots of torture. HOWEVER: There is not a finer, better-made example of this genre done correctly. Admittedly, the genre is very specific, but for fans of that genre, this The Devil's Rejects is about perfect.

savafan
11-11-2005, 04:28 PM
The best thing, for me at least, is that you find yourself rooting for the bad guys in a twisted way. You want them to get away from the vigilante sheriff and give him what for. You see how this dysfunction is actually a family, twisted as it may be. Unlike so many horror films, you see these people as human, and even though they are monsters in their actions, they aren't monsters like a Jason or Freddy is in typical horror fare.

That was the best part for me as well. I'd even go so far as to not call this a sequel of HO1000C, but rather a different story with the same characters. The characters are different in this film though, especially Otis.