PDA

View Full Version : Popping the BIG question

jmcclain19
08-10-2004, 01:37 PM
So my idea that I am sending out into the void, I'm mulling over the idea of popping the Big question.

You know which one I speak of, the life changing one, the change your life forever question.

Since this is a board filled with folks of varying life experiences, I thought I would ask for funny stories, do's and don'ts, experiences, etc etc.

I've pretty much sumed up that I'm going to do it, and how I want to do it.

Anyway, if anyone has any input, feel free to add it now.

RBA
08-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Do it live on tv in the middle of a D'backs game. :mhcky21:

Roy Tucker
08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
#1 - I think we were out driving somewhere and I said to Mrs. Tucker #1 "so, do you want to get married or what?". She said "I suppose we should". I should have know then...

Many years later...

#2 - I asked Mrs. Tucker #2 out to dinner that night and told her we'd go somewhere nice so dress up.

I went out, bought a big rock, a dozen roses, a bottle of champagne, and put on my best suit.

Picked her up, took her to my place ostensibly for a pre-dinner drink, sat her on the couch next to the flowers, showed her the ring, and said "make me the happiest man in the world and marry me". She said "yes" after, oh, 2-3 nanoseconds.

We drank the champagne and went out to dinner (and got totally sloshed IIRC). The next day, we did the rounds of her parents, my parents, etc etc.

zombie-a-go-go
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
I've never been married (though I've been asked :evil: ), so all I have to say is:

Good luck and congratulations, brother. :gac:

nottelling
08-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Well, I was leaving the country, so he gave me a package to give to his sister who lived near where I was going...anyway, a couple of days after I was there, he called me up and asked me to check to see if he had put the right thing in it...Inside was an envelope asking me to marry him and a gold bracelet! After freaking out for a few seconds, he said, "I haven't heard an answer yet". I responded, "Ok, I guess, why not..."

And now we're down to five days :D

westofyou
08-10-2004, 01:55 PM
#1 - I think we were out driving somewhere and I said to Mrs. Tucker #1 "so, do you want to get married or what?". She said "I suppose we should". I should have know then...

That's exactly how it happened on my end.

Asking is the easy part, I hear the wedding is the pain.

We did Vegas to circumvent that.

KronoRed
08-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Smile :)

Eric_Davis
08-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Never ask for advice...you might get it, take it, and it's wrong.

Then she asks you how you came up with that idea and you tell her "from someone else", and then she considers you a lamebrain for even considering asking someone else about such an important personal event concerning her.

Red Leader
08-10-2004, 02:05 PM
If I can give any advice about the whole situation it is: don't stall. Don't start the conversation with: Honey, there's something I wanted to ummm talk to you about...ummm, well, I was...ummm, well, you know...

Just say it with confidence. You're shouldn't be too nervous, this is something you SHOULD be confident about.

jmcclain19
08-10-2004, 02:15 PM

Funny, but I think I'd get disowned by my family if I did that one :D

I actually was planning a hot air balloon ride this fall.

I've never been married (though I've been asked :evil: ), so all I have to say is:

Good luck and congratulations, brother. :gac:

Thank you sir :)

Never ask for advice...you might get it, take it, and it's wrong.

Then she asks you how you came up with that idea and you tell her "from someone else", and then she considers you a lamebrain for even considering asking someone else about such an important personal event concerning her.

Not so much asking for advice, just like to hear stories of how other people went about the deed. I've pretty much made up my mind on how I'd like it to go down :thumbup:

If I can give any advice about the whole situation it is: don't stall. Don't start the conversation with: Honey, there's something I wanted to ummm talk to you about...ummm, well, I was...ummm, well, you know...

Just say it with confidence. You're shouldn't be too nervous, this is something you SHOULD be confident about.

Heh, the nerves are all going on right now. When the time comes, I'm sure that will be the easy part.

KronoRed
08-10-2004, 02:18 PM
You could play it real cool like I did

(driving in the car)

Krono: So when we get married who do you want to invite?

Mrs.Krono: We're getting married?

Krono: Yeah, if you want to

Mrs.Krono: Sounds good

Krono: Cool

:D

SunDeck
08-10-2004, 02:22 PM
I have never been one of those guys who hires a sky writer or rents a billboard to propose. In fact, I never actually did propose. We just kind of decided to make it legal one day over pizza. Then again, we had no money whatsoever, so it's not like a I could have even gotten her a ring or anything to propose with. We ended up buying the cheapest ones we could at Service Merchandise.
My story was totally boring, completely on the cheap, and basically a non-event. The wedding day was fun but it wasn't near the blowout that my brother had.
I am telling you this because you have your own story to tell. I would not change a thing about ours because it was who we were at the time. Try thinking about what it means to you and how you think it should be done and go from there. That may lead you to a Vegas trip or little cafe in Soho. Either way, if you end up with the one you love, it's a perfect story, no?

airalex
08-10-2004, 02:25 PM

(driving in the car)

Marriage for dummies :mhcky21:

KronoRed
08-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Marriage for dummies :mhcky21:

Hey it works :thumbup:

Super_Barry11
08-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Awww... I love reading these stories!! :MandJ: I'm such a nerd!!

Perhaps in 5 years or so, I'll have my own good story to contribute here, but at age 21, I'm not exactly ready for such events. I always joke that I want to be proposed to either at a baseball game or at the top of the Sears Tower at night, but I'm sure I will be absolutely thrilled to be proposed to AT ALL!! :p: I figure as long as it's done in a heartfelt manner and representative of our special relationship, how/where/when it's done does not matter.

Now one of my friends has his pilot's license, and plans on flying his one true love to a beach somewhere and proposing. You could go that route, but wow, that's a whole lot of fanfare!! :eek: :MandJ:

airalex
08-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Well, you seem very happily married, Krono, so it definately worked. :thumbup:

Good luck JMClain and don't take no for an answer. :gac:

CTA513
08-10-2004, 02:37 PM

Remember what happened to that guy who popped the question at a NBA game? The girl said no and ran away.

:mhcky21:

creek14
08-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Run.

Chip R
08-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Remember what happened to that guy who popped the question at a NBA game? The girl said no and ran away.

That was a hoax, though.

Eric_Davis
08-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Yes, I think it was at the Blazer game I was at. It was really funny. But, yes, it was a hoax.

REDREAD
08-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi Sundeck,
I got my engagement ring for my wife at service merchandise too. Even had a 10% off coupon.
:lol: I was a poor grad student at the time, so at least I had an excuse.

We went to an NCSU-FSU football game. NC State lost :( In fact it was such a blowout, it
kind of stunk..

I took her back to my place. I pretended I had lost my watch (which she gave
me :lol) and asked her to help me find it. I had the ring box hidden under the bed and
she found it and got all excited.

Roy Tucker
08-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I took her back to my place. I pretended I had lost my watch (which she gave me :lol) and asked her to help me find it. I had the ring box hidden under the bed and she found it and got all excited.
Oh, and where did this proposal take place :mhcky21: :mhcky21:

Heard a line once... "men used to get on one knee to propose, now they get up on their elbows".

letsgojunior
08-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Just a random female perspective: proposing at a sports event has to be the least romantic gesture ever. Especially if it involves a scoreboard - JMO.

Red Leader
08-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Just a random female perspective: proposing at a sports event has to be the least romantic gesture ever. Especially if it involves a scoreboard - JMO.

Do you think a lot of women feel like you do? I always throught that women loved that :mhcky21: :mhcky21: :mhcky21: :MandJ:

Red Heeler
08-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Mrs. Heeler and I had a date to go to King Cole in Dayton for Valentine's Day. I bought a teddy bear and pinned its paws together so that it was holding the ring.

Well, Mrs. Heeler opened up the box and pulled out the bear, but didn't see the ring. Her mouth was saying all the thankyou's and itsoocute's, while her eyes were saying, "A stupid teddy bear is the best you could come up with, lamebrain?" :withstup:

After an eternity, the ring finally fell out of the bear's grip and fell to the floor. Mrs. Heeler picked it up and said, "What's this?" :confused:

My mouth smiled and said nothing while my eyes said, "What the heck does it look like, airhead?" :rolleyes:

Another eon passed in uncomfortable silence. Finally, a light came on in her head :idea: . "Are you serious," she asked.

In one of the closest races ever, my brain took control before my mouth could get out, "Nope, just kidding." :mhcky21: Instead, I said "Of course I'm serious."

In just a little over a month, we will be celebrating our 7th year of mostly happy marriage.

:yipee: :luvu:

Eric_Davis
08-10-2004, 03:38 PM
In one of the closest races ever, my brain took control before my mouth could get out, "Nope, just kidding." :mhcky21: Instead, I said "Of course I'm serious."

I hate that race. Sometimes my brain stays in the starting gate.

Red Leader
08-10-2004, 03:40 PM
I hate that race. Sometimes my brain stays in the starting gate.

Yea, my brain gets DQ'd a lot. Part of being male, I believe.

GIK
08-10-2004, 03:43 PM

(driving in the car)

:MandJ: Now THAT'S the way to do it. :thumbup:

Super_Barry11
08-10-2004, 03:48 PM

My female perspective is a tad off, since I included a Reds game as one of my top 2 proposal locations... :p: :MandJ: I do agree about the scoreboard, however, I wouldn't want it broadcasted like that...

Just something meaningful and private is more my style, symbolic of our relationship and mutual love for the Reds... :thumbup: (Because I would never even date someone who wasn't a Reds fan... :roll: j/k)

KronoRed
08-10-2004, 04:16 PM
:MandJ: Now THAT'S the way to do it. :thumbup:

Thank you :D

HotCorner
08-10-2004, 04:31 PM
I proposed to Mrs. 2844 using a mixed tape ... in a car ... while I was driving ... on 75! :o

I picked her up and to go to a Bengals game (vs. Jaguars in '97). I put in the tape. After one song, my voice could heard over the speakers were I instructed her to look in the glove compartment where she found the 'box'.

An exicted female passenger in the front seat who wants to 'thank you' is not the safest situation when you're driving down the highway. :D

nottelling
08-10-2004, 04:56 PM
My father was driving my mother to the train station (this was in NY), and asked "So do you see this working out?", she answered "yes"...when she got back to her apt., she asked her roomie -- is it possible to get engaged and not realize it? She didn't figure it out till she came back!

Unassisted
08-10-2004, 05:28 PM
This looks like it has exactly what you need, J-Mac...

"Romantic marriage proposal ideas to help you create the most unique and romantic marriage proposal."
http://www.romancestuck.com/romantic-wedding-proposal.htm

My own proposal story is mundane, but I've known a few guys who went to great lengths to do something unique. Sadly, most of them are not married anymore. As a dyed-in-the-wool pragmatist, my main piece of advice is not to be one of those people who works harder planning the proposal than on planning for married life. Good luck! :thumbup:

TRF
08-10-2004, 05:34 PM
I'd go with Dish Network. better superstation package, and they just got Extra Innings.

oh, you mean marriage. right.

i agree with creek... run.

SunDeck
08-10-2004, 07:40 PM
I always throught that women loved that :mhcky21: :mhcky21: :mhcky21: :MandJ:

Man, how many times have I said THAT?

wheels
08-10-2004, 08:09 PM
I was once kinda forced into getting engaged. She kept bringing it up all of the time...Saying stuff like "When are you gonna make me an honest woman?".

After about two years, I finally caved and said "I guess we should get married or something..."

I had it all planned. We were going to do it in Hawaii in a fern grotto and everything.

Then she dumped me because I "was too nice". She had some major issues, and was somewhat upset, but I had a heckuva good time in Hawaii without her.

Nowadays, I'm in a really good relationship with the most wonderful girl. It's been about six months, and those little thoughts are creeping into my head. There's no way I'm gonna ask her in the near future, but this is the first girl I've dated that really makes me feel this way.

It's all kinda creepy. I could have kids with that girl by now, and I never would have met the one I'm with now.

RFS62
08-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Dead man walking.

Nah, just kiddin'. Sort of.

I proposed to Mrs. '62 in a really nice restuarant. I called ahead to reserve a private table, and when we showed up, everyone on the staff knew about it. 12 years old at the time Garrett, her son, my step-son, was in on it. I had him hiding the ring box, so she wouldn't be suspicious of any extra bulges in my trousers, beyond the normal massive one she would already recognize. :smokin:

She had no idea it was coming. When the time came, I said to Garrett "Son, pay attention. This is how you propose to the woman you love."

I got down on one knee, and asked her to make me the happiest man alive and marry me. The people all around us saw it all, and stopped eating as they stared at us.

Kelly nearly fainted. She said yes (gasp) and everyone around us clapped as we made out.

People came up to the table the rest of the night to congratulate us.

It was way cool.

REDREAD
08-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh, and where did this proposal take place :mhcky21: :mhcky21:

Heard a line once... "men used to get on one knee to propose, now they get up on their elbows".

Ok Roy, you busted me :lol: :lol: :lol: :mhcky21: :mhcky21:

nottelling
08-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Someone was telling me how my friend got engaged (it was later broken...), and she said "Yeah, Ben got down on his hands and knees, and popped the question. It was so romantic."
I responded, "Hands and knees?!"
She didn't quite get what she said wrong.... :jump:

jmcclain19
08-11-2004, 07:37 PM
thanks everyone for your stories and your jokes :)

I don't plan on running (God help me), but I do plan on sitting on it for a few more weeks, before I throw down that hefty chunk of change.

Thanks again.

TeamCasey
08-12-2004, 07:19 AM
This is going to sound stupid. My idea of a romantic proposal is so simple.

(I like simple. I'm a woman who thinks a single red rose is 10,000 times more romantic than a dozen.)

Proposing on a ladder through the second floor window.

or

Proposing out on a boat, just the two of you.

cincinnati chili
08-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Be sure to take her somewhere secluded, like a bridge high over a waterfall. That way if she says "no," you can just chuck her over the bridge without fear that there will be witnesses.

But seriously. I proposed to my wife in a garden on a college campus. She had made it very clear that she didn't want anything public or ostentatious. Women are different. Some like to be the center of attention, and would prefer something semi-public. Some women hate that. See if you can figure out which type of woman your woman is.

jmcclain19
10-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Bumpity Bumpity Bump for my pal the living dead man.

zombie-a-go-go
10-12-2004, 10:36 AM
:explode:

princeton
10-12-2004, 12:23 PM
A phone call. Worse yet: Instant Messaging. Definitely, an IM

after all, if you're promising to make the mundane romantic, the logical corrollary is to make the romantic mundane.

keeps her on her toes

DunnersGrl44
10-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Good Luck Jim!
I'm sure she will love anything you come up with!

jmcclain19
07-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Just bumping this thread up a bit.

Thought I'd pass along that I purchased the ring today :eek:

And I reserved a room at a luxo resort here in town for two weeks from today, for a quickie getaway she doesn't know about yet - where I plan to take her to a scenic part of the property and pop the question.

Have some serious butterflies, and I've been festering about this for over a year now.

Time to sack up and get it done.

pedro
07-08-2005, 03:36 PM

And I reserved a room at a luxo resort here in town for two weeks from today, for a quickie getaway she doesn't know about yet - where I play to take her to a scenic part of the property and pop the question.

Have some serious butterflies, and I've been festering about this for over a year now.

Good luck Josh. Sounds like a nice plan.

KronoRed
07-08-2005, 03:40 PM
That sounds great...good luck :)

Blimpie
07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
That's exactly how it happened on my end.

Asking is the easy part, I hear the wedding is the pain.

We did Vegas to circumvent that.WOY is all over this one. My wife and I were married almost eleven years ago at a very modest ceremony. Her parents didn't have too much cabbage, so we really cut corners on the reception (read: no booze). No matter how little planning you do, it is still going to be costly AND a huge headache.

My advice is: Take whatever $ you were budgeting for the wedding / reception and put it in your hip pocket. If you are building a life together, it will be money better spent elsewhere. If you are planning on having kids, just elope because you will NEVER have enough money for them.

I know, I know....you say, "But Blimpie, the old lady really has her mind set on a big ceremony..."

That's easy. Fly the in-laws and your parents to Vegas for the ceremony...stay for your honeymoon. Mission accomplished.

Good luck and God Bless....

Johnny Footstool
07-08-2005, 03:54 PM

No need to fret. Asking is the easy part. You wouldn't be asking unless you already knew what she was going to say.

Make it memorable, and enjoy it.

pedro
07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
My friends didn't have alot of money for their wedding so they had a "stock the bar" party instead of a shower. Everyone brought a bottle for the reception and then they had a keg and an open bar. They used the money they saved to get a great church for the wedding and reception.

rdiersin
07-08-2005, 04:11 PM

And I reserved a room at a luxo resort here in town for two weeks from today, for a quickie getaway she doesn't know about yet - where I plan to take her to a scenic part of the property and pop the question.

jmcclain,
Don't worry about it too much. I did it just a couple of months ago, and it was surprisenly easy. I am not going to say all my words came out perfect or anything, but it wasn't to much to worry about. But I had been going out with my fiance for 4 years, so that might have something to do with it too. Good luck!

Red Leader
07-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Best of luck to you, Josh. I'm excited for you. Hope you have a nice time on your "get away". Be sure to post back here after that takes place.

Congratulations to you and the future Mrs.

Redsfaithful
07-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I did it last Christmas Eve. It was kind of her present. We're getting married on August 19th, in Gahanna.

Good luck Josh, I'm sure it'll go great!

WMR
07-08-2005, 04:54 PM
My advice to anyone about to get married, considering marriage, or even thinking the word "MARRY": GET A PRE-NUP

RedsFan75
07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Ok, I've got to share mine....

We were in college and frequently would go walking on the beach below Cumberland Falls.

One evening, we were walking back to the parking area and I stopped sat her on a boulder by the path dropped to one knee and proposed. She accepted. We were married 8 months later.

Been married for 25 years now. :D

M2
07-08-2005, 05:15 PM
First time I proposed it involved a ring planted inside a rose.

Second time, the female handed me a pregnancy test with two distinct blue lines on it.

May not have been the most romantic proposal, but the marriage and kid have been great.

Roy Tucker
07-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Early congrats Josh. Do it up in the manner you see fit. It only rolls around once in life.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

Red Leader
07-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Second time, the female handed me a pregnancy test with two distinct blue lines on it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In the end, just as good, if not better, M2. :thumbup:

RFS62
07-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Make sure you get really drunk.

jmcclain19
07-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments - they are truly appreciated.

I'll be updating in a few weeks what happens - although I'm not worried about it, I'll still be a tad nervous until then.

LincolnparkRed
07-08-2005, 05:50 PM
A little advice for anyone planning to do it in London. Don't try in front of Buckingham palace. There is a big fountain outside and it was really dirty so I wound up proposing in the park across the street. I was supposed to do it earlier in the trip but one of the couples we were meeting for another person's wedding actually got engaged the day before we met up with them. So I had to wait until we were alone again. It will be two years soon and I am still trying to convince her that she likes the Reds.

TeamCasey
07-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Congrats, Josh! :)

07-09-2005, 01:27 AM
I always thought it would be cool to propose while out flying a kite. I think that is a really serene, relaxed, and just nice place to be. Then when she hears the question while flying the kite, you can tell her not to crash the kite!

savafan
07-09-2005, 02:55 AM
The first time I got engaged...honestly now, I can't even remember the proposal. It was a short marriage and such a nasty break-up that I've almost completely blocked everything out of my mind, including what she looked like.

The second time I got engaged, I didn't even know it. Believe it or not, it was on IM. We were talking one night on instant messenger and I asked her that very question someone else posted earlier, "Do you see this working out?" She simply typed "Yes" and logged off. I was confused until I started getting phone calls and e-mails from friends congratulating me on the engagement. I'm not sure if I did the honorable thing or the stupid thing by playing along and buying her a ring, but thankfully, after she tried to kill me, we never made it to the altar.

Now, the third time I got engaged was just a few months ago. 7 months to the day, actually that I am typing this. It was a cool January night, and we had spent the entire Saturday with a couple of friends. After our friends left my apartment, I asked her to go for a walk. This wasn't strange, we went for walks a lot. We walked down the street to Miamisburg's Library Park and I took her into the gazebo and had her sit down. Once she was seated, I got down on one knee and pulled out the ring. She laughed at me and asked me if the ring was real. When I assured her that it was, she said yes.

I don't want to wish you good luck, because I don't think you'll need it. Instead, I'll wish for you happiness. The asking is the easy part. It is everything that leads up to it that is hard.

BuckU
07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Here's my quick (& embarrassing) proposal story. I surprised my wife one night when she got home from work. I had candles, roses, & rose petals everywhere. When she walked in she saw it all, I proposed, yadda yadda yadda. After I got my "yes" I felt like a huge weight was off y shoulders. As I was getting up from being on my knee I bumped our coffee table which has a glass top. On that coffee table was a tall vase which had some roses in it. As i bumped the table I knocked over the vase and it fell over and shattered the glass top coffee table.

So one minute I’m on my knees proposing, the next minute I'm on my knees picking up glass fragments. :)

Another thing...guys, did any others ask the Father for permission? Am I the only one who felt that was more nerve racking than the proposal to the girlfriend?

savafan
07-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Another thing...guys, did any others ask the Father for permission? Am I the only one who felt that was more nerve racking than the proposal to the girlfriend?

Didn't have the cajones to do that.

gonelong
07-11-2005, 10:59 AM

I had known my wife for about 10 years before we married. We had dated for 2 years in High school -4 year break for college- and then dated again for 4 years.

Her Dad asked me when we were going to get married, he wanted to retire. :)

When we were both poor, I'd stop and buy my wife peanut M&Ms all the time, its the only thing I could afford that she liked. I put her ring in a bag of them and she found it inside. Sounds much cheesier now than it did at the time. :)

GL

GIK
07-11-2005, 11:01 AM

That very occasion is coming up for me soon. I have about a month to build up the nerves, though, as he's out of the country.

Red Leader
07-11-2005, 11:04 AM
I asked my father-in-law for his permission. Most nerve wracking experience ever as I had only known him for about 2-3 months. Knowing him like I do now, I shouldn't have been too worried about it. He was thrilled that I had the respect to ask him though, and it still works in my favor to this day.

rdiersin
07-11-2005, 11:12 AM

I did that. It was over the phone, since he lives a little bit aways from where I live. It was ackward to say the least. First of all, I had known my fiance for 4 years before I proposed, and he liked me, so I wasn't too worried or anything. Also, he doesn't really like to talk on the phone, so that didn't help either. So I asked him if I could marry his daughter and he said yeah, that would be fine. But that was pretty much how he said it, not much more. I think it would have been different if I were there talking to him face to face, because he is nice person, but it was just ackward talking on the phone.

IowaRed
07-11-2005, 11:16 AM
I too asked my father-in-law for permission to marry his daughter....in our church parking lot. If I had the opportunity to do it over again I would choose a different location but I would still ask for his permission. We had been dating for 10 years so I'm sure he was expecting us to get married at some point but I think he was pleased that I chose to get his blessing

BuckU
07-11-2005, 12:29 PM
I asked my father-in-law for his permission. Most nerve wracking experience ever as I had only known him for about 2-3 months. Knowing him like I do now, I shouldn't have been too worried about it. He was thrilled that I had the respect to ask him though, and it still works in my favor to this day.

Same with me. He still tells me how classy it was. Major kiss butt points but ...Oh well...

...he's old school

Roy Tucker
07-11-2005, 01:13 PM
So I asked him if I could marry his daughter and he said yeah, that would be fine. But that was pretty much how he said it, not much more. I think it would have been different if I were there talking to him face to face, because he is nice person, but it was just ackward talking on the phone.
Funny how life is.... I used to relate more to the guy asking the question and now I'm getting closer to relating to the dad.

My daughters are almost-15 and 12. The almost-15 yr. old has boys sniffing around. Some have built up enough courage to meet me, shake my hand, call me Mr. "Tucker", try some small talk, etc. etc. I have to give them points for initiative and respect, so I thinly tolerate them and yak it up a little. However, I was 15 once and I still remember what was on my mind.

I find myself quickly assuming the role of Rottweiler at the gates and have my radar up at full strength. God help any of those boys if they mistreat my daughter in any way because they *will* need it.

I hope that in the future as my daughters grow up, start dating, start bringing guys home, blah blah, that I have enough perspective and enough faith in the good character we have instilled in my kids that I trust their judgement and values. I think I will.

However, these first few steps down this mine-filled path have really opened my eyes to how fathers must have viewed me when I first started darkening their front doors (and back windows throwing pebbles). I continue to think that God is having an enormous laugh at me with my daughters. Paybacks are a bite.

BuckU
07-11-2005, 01:46 PM
However, I was 15 once and I still remember what was on my mind.

Baseball?

remdog
07-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Sure, go ahead and order the Doble/Double with Cheese. :)

Rem

M2
07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
If, in a couple of decades when my daughter's around marrying age, her boyfriend comes to me and asks for my approval to marry her, I think I'll probably send him off on his way with the good-natured response that I'm not the person he needs to be asking.

RFS62
07-11-2005, 02:21 PM
The first Mrs. '62's father was an ex-Marine. He'd been shot up pretty good storming the beach in Iwo Jima. He was one tough dude.

When I asked him for her hand in marriage, he opened a drawer in the table next to his chair and pulled out a revolver. He spun the chamber, and looked at me and said "you're not going to do anything to hurt my little girl, are you?"

"No SIR!!!" I said.

Then he put the gun back, and shook my hand, and said "welcome to the family".

I got the point.

M2
07-11-2005, 02:22 PM
The first Mrs. '62's father was an ex-Marine. He'd been shot up pretty good storming the beach in Iwo Jima. He was one tough dude.

When I asked him for her hand in marriage, he opened a drawer in the table next to his chair and pulled out a revolver. He spun the chamber, and looked at me and said "you're not going to do anything to hurt my little girl, are you?"

"No SIR!!!" I said.

Then he put the gun back, and shook my hand, and said "welcome to the family".

I got the point.

Time to find a girl with a more stable family?

RFS62
07-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Time to find a girl with a more stable family?

Nope. We got married and divorced three years later. We were just too young. It wasn't his fault.

M2
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Nope. We got married and divorced three years later. We were just too young.

Been there. Done that.

KronoRed
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
If I ever have kids I'm going to use that on anyone asking about my kids 62 ;)

Roy Tucker
07-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Been there. Done that.
Ditto. Seems to be a trend.

15fan
07-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I married the only daughter of a career Marine. Not just any Marine - a Marine Corps lawyer, who later became a Marine Corps judge, complete with an office in the Pentagon. He also graduated from the Army's Jump School in Fort Benning, Georgia.

A skydiving Marine Corps judge. That's my father-in-law.

(If you've seen "Meet the Parents", there are plenty of similarities between my father-in-law and DeNiro's character.)

We took a trip to visit her parents before I proposed, so that I could ask the General for his permission. We got in on Friday afternoon. At dinner on Friday night, my lovely wife (who is about as patient as her father) blurted out - "so Mom & Dad, has he asked you yet whether or not he can marry me?"

Thank goodness my mother-in-law-to-be jumped in with kind words and good wishes.

Otherwise, I'd still be sitting at the dinner table unable to breathe 9 years later.

flyer85
07-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I saw fireworks.

savafan
07-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Ditto. Seems to be a trend.

Same here, only I didn't make it three years. That, and her cheating had a lot to do with it.

redsrule2500
07-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Sounds cool, good luck :O

jhiller21
07-12-2005, 03:37 AM
Good luck jmcclain, I once was very close to asking a girl to marry me, and I still question what could have been had I asked her. Don't let your nerves get the best of you, be smooth.. I hope you have a great life together :thumbup:

RedsFan75
07-12-2005, 08:31 AM
I asked her father for her hand. He said no. I said too bad.

We were in college. She had decided that she was done with school and wasn't coming back. I was on my way to active duty and I talked to her father about it. He said No until she had graduated, I had to be the one to tell him his daughter had decided she was done with school.

Yep that started out on the right foot!....

Still we got married. He pouted through the whole thing, and for the first year. Partly because of the school thing, and partly because she didn't want him performing the ceremony. (He was a minister then, now he's a truck driver! :D)

Anyway.... she said I was the first guy to ever not back down from her father for her.

jmcclain19
07-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Just bumping this thread to let everyone who offered words of encouragement know.

Last night I asked, and she, between the tears, said yes. :thumbup:

Thanks again everyone

oneupper
07-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Congrats JIM.

Wish you the very best.

GIK
07-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Congrats!!!

RFS62
07-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Congratulations Josh.

:beerme:

paintmered
07-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Dead man walking. :p:

Congrats buddy. :beerme:

GIK
07-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Oh, btw, J...how'd you do it? Curious... :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
07-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Congratulations!

jmcclain19
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Oh, btw, J...how'd you do it? Curious... :thumbup:

I took her to the Pointe Hilton in North Phoenix, under the guise of "Great summer rates we should take advantage of for a two night getaway".

I slipped the concierge a 20 spot when I went up and scouted out and then reserved the roomand told him I intended to pop the question and what was a good spot to pop the question and he showed me.

The Pointe Hilton sits right in the desert mountains, so at Sunset last night, I took her for a hike to one of the summets overlooking the resort on one side, and the whole metro on the other, and said my little piece and dropped down on one knee and asked.

Worked out better than I thought :) Thanks for asking :thumbup:

Redsfaithful
07-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Congrats!

Joseph
07-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Many congrats!!!!

Falls City Beer
07-30-2005, 08:28 PM
The secret to a great marriage: marry a smart woman. It's totally hot.

My wife and I have been married for 14 years, and we know each other so well that we can skip the arguing and go right to the makeup...er...dancing.

KronoRed
07-31-2005, 01:54 AM
Good work Josh! :)

SteelSD
07-31-2005, 04:13 AM
Congratulations, sir!!!

Now comes the wedding planning and the whole "I have to live with this woman every day for the rest of my life" part.

In short, you don't know it yet, but you just finished up the easy part. ;)

creek14
07-31-2005, 08:52 AM
Oh Josh, Josh, Josh. What have you gone and done?

Seriously, congratulations.

What does the ring look like?

GAC
07-31-2005, 08:58 AM
If I had to do it over again I'd at least ask for a signing bonus. :D

My wife, and we've been married for 23 glorious years now, with three kids and a mortgage, proposed to me. Personally, I took it more as a threat. ;)

Redsland
07-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Congratualtions!