PDA

View Full Version : Kearns to go to Instructional League for 3B

KittyDuran
10-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Let's discuss!!! :)
http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/10/09/kearns109.rtf.html

Saturday, October 9, 2004
Who's on third? OF Kearns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right fielder heads to Sarasota for Instructional League

By John Fay
Enquirer staff writer

Austin Kearns sits in the dugout. The Reds plan to try him at third base next year.
(Jeff Swinger/The Enquirer)
The Reds are going to try the Austin Kearns-at-third-base experiment after all.

Kearns will go to the Instructional League in Sarasota, Fla., for a 10-day crash course beginning Tuesday.

He's a willing pupil.

"I think if it works out, it can be beneficial to me and the team," Kearns said.

The Reds are open-minded.

"We have no preconceived conclusions whatsoever," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

But if it works, it will be a tremendous boon for the Reds. By playing Kearns at third, the Reds could play Ken Griffey Jr. in right field to cut down on the wear and tear to his legs. That would open center field for Wily Mo Pena.

Kearns, Griffey, Pena, Adam Dunn and Sean Casey would give the Reds a tremendous lineup from the third through the seventh spots.

The Reds did not bring up the move to Kearns until after the season.

"I was a little surprised by that," Kearns said. "There had been so much talk of it in the media."

The move was Kearns' choice.

"If he was not motivated to do it, we wouldn't have done it," O'Brien said.

Kearns is coming off an injury-plagued season. He hit .230 with nine home runs and 32 RBI in 64 games. But he played much better late in the year. He hit .254 with six home runs and 19 RBI over his last 36 games. That's a 30-homer/95-RBI clip.

Kearns is confident he'll be able to play at third. He played shortstop and third in high school. His arm is the best on the team, and his baseball instincts are very good for a 24-year-old. Kearns played two games at third in rookie ball.

"Hopefully, I can do it," he said. "It's going to take a lot of work. But I'm willing to try it."

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

RedsBaron
10-09-2004, 07:59 AM
I'm skeptical of the chances of Kearns being the Reds fulltime thirdbaseman in 2005, but, if Austin is willing to try it, I suppose there is no harm in making the attempt. I can't get my hopes up that the Reds will have a fulltime healthy lineup of Casey, Kearns, Griffey, Dunn and Pena in 2005.

zombie-a-go-go
10-09-2004, 07:59 AM
So the rumors are true.

How do you like this:

1B: Casey (Griffey)
2B: DJ
SS: Lopez? Machado?
3B: Kearns
LF: Dunn
CF: Freel (Griffey; Freel returns to 'super-sub' role)
RF: Pena
C: Anybody but Stinky LaRue

Hmm...

What about EdE? Does he become tradebait at the deadline next season for pitching if Kearns works out @ 3B?

There's never been a problem with our offense; it's always been the pitching. If this works and the RedLegs can focus all their efforts on the rotation and bullpen... well... I like this.

Who doesnt?

Ravenlord
10-09-2004, 08:04 AM
i like this better:

C random FA/Sardinha (ditch LaRue, his trade value is probably really high despite the PB)
1B Casey
2B Freel (Jimenez traded wheather Kearns can do 3B or not)
3B Kearns
SS Lopez
LF Dunn
CF Pena
RF Griffey (is his arm actually better than Dunn's?)

zombie-a-go-go
10-09-2004, 08:10 AM
I don't know about stronger, but I imagine that Griffey's arm is more accurate than Dunn's.

I like your lineup, RL, but I think if the Reds have a chance to unload Case they'll do it in the offseason, so Freel goes to CF; DJ'll be cheaper than Sean. And I like his patience at the plate.

But if they keep Case, then yeah, drop DJ before arbitration and move Freel in there.

zombie-a-go-go
10-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Maybe they play EdE off the bench, though I can't imagine he'll stay if Dan'O gets even a nibble of a pitching offer for him, Kearns works out, and Freel can be swapped into 3B if something happens where Austin needs to be take out.

Because, you know, Romano can play OF. :devil:

guernsey
10-09-2004, 08:24 AM
I think this is about as likely to work out as a Rule 5 drat pick; not very likely.

But it shouldn't cost as much money to find out ...

(They better issue Dunn track shoes to play left field to chase down all the balls going into the corner.)

Spring~Fields
10-09-2004, 08:36 AM
(They better issue Dunn track shoes to play left field to chase down all the balls going into the corner.)

Now that is funny stuff!! :MandJ: brought tears to my eyes.

Well gee wiz they are giving him a whole ten days to bring the Brooks out in him.

Seriously though it would be nice if it worked out.

Chip R
10-09-2004, 08:39 AM
If this 3rd base thing happens with Kearns, I wonder what will happen when one of the OFers goes down with an injury. My guess is that Kearns will be right back out there in the OF - especially if it's Jr.

Red Forman
10-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Best of luck to A.K. in mastering the art of the hot corner!!!

Bottom line......
a converted outfielder is far superior to b. larson!!!!! :mhcky21: :MandJ:

MikeS21
10-09-2004, 09:06 AM
I've said it before. Kearns doesn't need to be a Gold Glove 3B. He only needs to be the best option for the Reds at 3B once you figure BOTH offense and defense together. And getting the fivesome of Dunn, Griffey, Casey, Pena, and Kearns into the same lineup would seem to be a pretty good option.

Plus, I think that Kearns will be a pleasant surprise at 3B. Dunn may not need those track shoes to chase down balls into the corner.

redsfan30
10-09-2004, 09:26 AM
You guys have been calling for this for quite some time now and now that it's going to happen I get a negative vibe from here....what gives?

If this works out, it is a stroke of genius. It gets Casey, Dunn, Kearns, Griffey and Pena all in one lineup on an everyday basis. It may even let you move Edwin Encarnacion over to secondbase to see what he can do there and he possibly becomes the future at second.

If it doesn't work out, I think you're in a bigger hole than when you started. This pretty much solidifies the fact that we will not be in the market for a third baseman this winter. If Kearns fails, you are in a spot where you would have to finish the year out with Machado or someone like that. Then there is the hope that the move doesn't affect his offense.

I like the move, mainly because it gets all those big bats in the lineup at one time. It gives Edwin Encarnacion a full year at Triple A, possibly learning secondbase. Kearns has very good instincts so I think he'll be fine. It's not like 10 days are all he's going to have. I'm sure that is just going to be just the basics and I'm sure he will work on it everyday between now and April 4.

guernsey
10-09-2004, 09:31 AM
You guys have been calling for this for quite some time now and now that it's going to happen I get a negative vibe from here....what gives?

Some guys, not all guys.

What the heck. Give it a look-see. Might work. Probably won't. But at least the Reds will know instead of speculating.

Personally, I didn't think Freel was that bad down there. It was his first real experience at 3rd. And given the offseason to work on it, I think he would be even better next season.

RedSchmo2
10-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Placing Kearns at 3B would be a huge mistake in my opinion. He is the best defensive outfielder the Reds have in an outfield... and with Dunn and Wily Mo being below average defensively, you cannot take your best out of the mix.

And considering the Reds pitching staff you cannot afford to waste opportunities to get outs... Dunn and Wily Mo have very little legitimit range, and even Juniors range is vastly diminished from his prime...

If the Reds had the Cubs pitching staff, then it makes more sense because you can afford being average defensively... but not with the Reds staff.

With the injury history of the Reds outfielders... it is no problem to get all four time when healthy. Which is another point - Kearns can't get his wrists and hands and arm healthy as it is... so lets give him a new position where he does actions he is not used to and makes throws he is not used to and more frequently????... not smart.

Spitball
10-09-2004, 09:32 AM
I agree, Mike. I believe you'll find that even the best third basemen average only about three chances per game. In the 60's, the Cardinals built a couple of NL championship teams, not to mention a World Championship, after switching Mike Shannon from right field to third base. Why not give this option a try? It is senseless to say it won't work until it has been tried.

Reds1
10-09-2004, 10:04 AM
I love it. A chance to get all 4 big guys in and I think Kearns will rock. He can be like a Rolan with Power, Speed, etc. I do think they should try and stick with it meaning that if someone gets injured Freel should be top choice to replace. Now if there are a bunch of injuries then I guess he goes back, but I think this is worth a great shot. Also, with Kearns injuries playing 3B could maybe help with that. No running into walls and all out sprinting like he does in the OF. Love it! :gac:

RollyInRaleigh
10-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Seems like some of us were not as crazy as we were made out to be for suggesting that Kearns go to the instructional league to give third base a try. It may work and it may not, but it doesn't hurt to explore the option. Personally, I think Austin Kearns can be every bit as good, and maybe better, than anyone the Reds ran out there last season. The great thing is that Kearns is positive about the opportunity and thinks he can make the transition. I hope it works. I think it can.

GAC
10-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Edwin E is not even gonna be in the equation until 2006 right? Didn't someone say that he needs a full year at the AAA level before an assessment can be made.

I'm game. Give this experiment a try.

And if an OFer goes down (bite your tongue GAC), I think they will be more apt to using Freel there then move Kearns off of 3B.

Meanwhile....

FIX THE BULLPEN!!!! :allovrjr:

Chip R
10-09-2004, 10:31 AM
And if an OFer goes down (bite your tongue GAC), I think they will be more apt to using Freel there then move Kearns off of 3B.

Meanwhile....

FIX THE BULLPEN!!!! :allovrjr:
The Reds don't seem to stick with their experiments for very long if they don't have initial success. So if someone goes down - the odds on choice being Jr. - I think they put Freel at 3rd and move Kearns back to RF. Of course if Kearns does play 3rd, I wouldn't want to be sitting behind 1st base. ;)

CougarQuest
10-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Anyone know who his instructor is in the Instructional League? Seems to me that is the most important question. Kearns' footwork is going to be the thing they are going to have to work on the most. Throwing across his body.

If this works out, this could be huge for the Reds ... and for Kearns.

traderumor
10-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Little risk, huge reward. And when Griffey goes down, maybe EdE will be ready or someone will be available in the trade market.

BCubb2003
10-09-2004, 10:41 AM
I think it makes more sense than trading Casey so Griffey can play first if he doesn't get hurt again. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Oxilon
10-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Good idea. Might as well see if it could work, since it is the offseason. If we could get the Big 5 in there everyday (barring injuries), without significanly dropping our defense, it'd be great.

This certainly means EdE has another year of the minors before he sees the majors too.

Redmachine2003
10-09-2004, 10:53 AM
EdE won't be ready for another year or two, Casey can become a free agent by then. So I think this is well worth the risk.

redsfan4445
10-09-2004, 10:56 AM
do you think somebody from the Reds reads Redzone??????? :mhcky21: :mhcky21: :mhcky21: :mhcky21: :mhcky21:

2b Freel
1b Casey
RF Griffey
3B Kearns
LF Dunn
CF Pena
C ???
SS Lopez??
I love this lineup :gac: :gac:

Red Thunder
10-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Kearns will go to the Instructional League in Sarasota, Fla., for a 10-day crash course beginning Tuesday.

He's a willing pupil.

"I think if it works out, it can be beneficial to me and the team," Kearns said.

"I was a little surprised by that," Kearns said. "There had been so much talk of it in the media."

The move was Kearns' choice.

"If he was not motivated to do it, we wouldn't have done it," O'Brien said.

From an article at cincinnatireds.com
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/news/cin_news.jsp?ymd=20041001&content_id=877964&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp

He (Larkin) said he'd be willing to move to third for the Reds, but he'd also willing to move from the Reds to stay at shortstop.

Larkin announced last week that he wants to play at least one more season, if he does it with the Reds it will likely mean another reduced role. He'd consider it, but he'd have to be asked.

"If asked to be in that role, I'd consider it," he said. "But no one's asked me about it. I haven't been asked to take ground balls [at third] this last week. No one's asked me to take ground balls at third, first, outfield, nothing. If it's something they'd like me to do, I'd consider it but they have to ask me first. No one's asked me."

Anyone notice a difference in behaviour?

CTA513
10-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Im not sure if it will work out or not, but I really like that Kearns is going to give it a shot, and is willingly to give it a shot to help the team. He knows by doing this that it could help the outfield problem & the 3B problem.

Kearns wants to be on the field & playing baseball, and he would probably move to catcher if he had to. ;)

Anyway I think having Dunn, Pena, Kearns & Griffey playing at the same time will give the Reds a good line up. If I was a pitcher, I dont know if I would want to see all 4 of them in a lineup at the same time.

Kearns is back, now we just have to hope Griffey can get back.

Chip R
10-09-2004, 11:29 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/news/cin_news.jsp?ymd=20041001&content_id=877964&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp

On the surface, perhaps. But just because Kearns said it was his idea doesn't necessarily mean it was. Perhaps DanO, et. al. asked him to and also said for him to tell the press it was his idea to make him look good. Or perhaps Austin figured it out all by himself. And perhaps it was his idea.

I've said this before, I think Barry did - and is still doing - himself a great dissservice by not learning to play other positions. If he does play next year, it will more than likely be as a utility player.

Puffy
10-09-2004, 12:02 PM
If Dunn moves to left field will that make it easier for him to hit a sacrifice fly this year?? :devil:

Oxilon
10-09-2004, 12:21 PM
EdE won't be ready for another year or two, Casey can become a free agent by then. So I think this is well worth the risk.

Joey Votto should be ready by the time that Casey becomes a FA. He's our future 1B. EdE needs to move to either SS or 2B if he plans on staying with the Reds based on what they did today.

Doc. Scott
10-09-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm still somewhat against going to all this trouble for what amounts to one year, but I guess it does allow the most offensive ability in the Reds' lineup at once.

Unassisted
10-09-2004, 12:39 PM
I like the experiment. I like the idea of giving him a try at 3B.

I'd also like to see Kearns spend some time in Latin American winter ball, so he can play for more than 10 days - as much for his hitting as for learning a new position. I'm concerned that he was just begining to get the rust off and his stroke back when the season ended. Since he got a lot of rest this season, I'd like to see him do some more hitting to sustain the momentum going into 2005.

Redny
10-09-2004, 12:45 PM
I like this move, especially since there is no guarantee that EdE will succeed in the majors. Kearns can always go back to the outfield should the situation call for it.

red-in-la
10-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Kearns has the baseball instincts to move to 3B IMHO. In the worst case....think Chipper Jones. In the best case, think Scott Rolen......in the really worst case, think Phil Nevin.....though I would have a hard time believing that Kearns could be that bad at 3B.

Point is, teams have had success with less than Brooks Robinson at 3B.....and when you start with a kid as talented as Kearns, I think you stand a pretty good chance of having better than average in a year or two.....for certain, Kearns will work hard to become a 3B.

Look what Ken Caminiti did through a few years of hard work (practice).

Look what the addition of Ramierez did for the Cubs.....and you have to believe that Kearns will be at least as nimble as Ramierez.

KronoRed
10-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I like this, it may work or it may not, but it's a good idea to at least try it

CTA513
10-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I like this, it may work or it may not, but it's a good idea to at least try it

:gac:

Spitball
10-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Also, if the experiment works, Kearns as a third baseman is more valuable than Kearns as a right fielder. The Cardinals and Giants have proven to me that a revolving door policy can work for filling corner outfielder vacancies. Viable third basemen are much harder to find.

Wheelhouse
10-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Kearns has superb baseball instincts, a strong arm, and is known for his first step in the outfield. I think he has an excellent shot at not only being able to play 3B, but mastering it. Also, if he realizes half of his potential as a hitter, he's top of the pack as a 3B.

princeton
10-09-2004, 01:45 PM
I'd put WMP at third before Kearns.

One strong/one weak fielder is always better than two weak fielders

I also think that if you give up defense at third base and at all OF positions, then you MUST play a strong defensive duo at short and second. Otherwise, you're playing 28-out games, which you can't do with any pitching staff and especially not with our pitching staff. Right now the only strong defensive duo is probably Olmedo and Machado-- assuming that they're even strong enough (haven't seen enough of either)

RosieRed
10-09-2004, 02:02 PM

By the front office, yes. They have asked Kearns if he would try this; they have not communicated anything to Larkin. Larkin has repeatedly said he would work at other positions; all the FO has to do is let him know.

I think it's great Kearns is going to give 3B a try. Worst-case scenario is it doesn't work out, and we're back to where we were yesterday. Best-case, he could man 3B for years.

I do think that if Kearns does not play 3B this year, Freel will. I suspect they'd rather non-tender Jimenez and go find a 2B, and handle 3B from within.

toledodan
10-09-2004, 02:29 PM
its not a bad idea to try. it would give the team plenty of options in the field. also they could also move kearns to second if they non tender dj. who knows kearns could end up another jeff kent. that would leave third base open for edwin encarncion. here is my dream lineup.

1) lopez ss
2) casey 1b
3) kearns 2b
4) griffey rf
5) pena cf
6) dunn lf
7) EE 3b
8) catcher valentin/larue/sardinha
9) pitcher

the nice thing about this lineup is the righty/lefty order. this batting order would cause managers fits when it comes to using their bullpens. i know it its a long shot of happening but it works good on my high heat baseball game. :D
of course they could have kearns play third and move EE to second but that would be moving 2 players around to new positions. its just good to see that the front office is going to do everything they can to get kearns/dunn/pena/griffey/casey all in the lineup at the same time. lets hope it works and they can stay healthy. :dflynn:

guernsey
10-09-2004, 02:52 PM
I'd put WMP at third before Kearns.

Having watched WMP play 3rd in spring training a couple of years ago, I wouldn't recommend it. He made Dmitri look like Brooks Robinson.

Krusty
10-09-2004, 05:00 PM
I still think the Reds will sign someone like the Royals Joe Randa to a one-year deal with a possible option as a stopgap till Encarncion is ready.

toledodan
10-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I still think the Reds will sign someone like the Royals Joe Randa to a one-year deal with a possible option as a stopgap till Encarncion is ready.

if you can get a player like joe randa cheap you sign him for longer than one season.

Krusty
10-09-2004, 06:06 PM
He will be 35 years old next season. A two year deal would be tops if I was O'Brien.

Red Thunder
10-09-2004, 06:19 PM
By the front office, yes. They have asked Kearns if he would try this; they have not communicated anything to Larkin.

Judging from the article I got the impression that Kearns is willing when approached by the front office about playing third base and being more flexible. Which cannot be said of Larkin, who plays the sit and wait game until his future is presented to him on a silver plate.

FlyingPig
10-09-2004, 06:35 PM
If Johnny Bench can play third, I know Kearns can..

He's willing, the Reds are willing..if it works out everyone gets the future Hall of Famer (?) Wily Mo Pena in the starting lineup..Even at the sacrifice of trading your purest hitter, Casey..Isn't that what you wanted?

Or are most of you afraid this will work out and the Reds will trade away your other future Hall of Famer (?) Edwin E?

KronoRed
10-09-2004, 06:37 PM

Why? teams that are close do a deal like that, the Reds still have no pitching

It would be a waste.

Aronchis
10-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Reds once again, show why they are the biggest dunce's around.

I NEVER want to see Kearns at third, never nada and no way. Why they are even trying it shows a lack of brain function in the upper cortex.

They have Freel to play third if they think EE isn't up to speed by April. Really simply. But they make it so hard.

RosieRed
10-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Judging from the article I got the impression that Kearns is willing when approached by the front office about playing third base and being more flexible. Which cannot be said of Larkin, who plays the sit and wait game until his future is presented to him on a silver plate.

So the FO approaches Kearns and we find out he is willing to do what they ask. But the FO has NOT approached Larkin about anything, and that makes him a bad person?

toledodan
10-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Reds once again, show why they are the biggest dunce's around.

I NEVER want to see Kearns at third, never nada and no way. Why they are even trying it shows a lack of brain function in the upper cortex.

They have Freel to play third if they think EE isn't up to speed by April. Really simply. But they make it so hard.

then please explain where we play kearns/dunn/griffey/pena at the same time? the only reason you move kearns is to do that. like i said before you could also move him to second and non tender jimenez.

Phhhl
10-09-2004, 10:10 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Austin trying to do this. Albert Pujols has played third, first and outfield. Chipper Jones has switched back and forth between third and left field. Craig Biggio is working on his fourth position in the major leagues. Pete Rose... the list goes on and on. Major league baseball players have the skills to do this. People have had it drummed into their brains that players are intractable in the positions they currently hold, and that to mess with that pushes them one step closer to the looney bin or something. That's absolutely ridiculous. If Kearns can't cut it at third after a fair trial, he will go back to being the very capable defensive outfielder with a lethal stroke that he already is. If it does work out, who is to say that Edwin Encarnacion can't play second base? It's definately worth taking a look at, considering that this could become one of the best lineups in the National League if it works. If Kearns was kicking and screaming about it, it would be one thing. But, apparently, he wants to do this. Let's see how it goes.

johngalt
10-09-2004, 10:30 PM
So the FO approaches Kearns and we find out he is willing to do what they ask. But the FO has NOT approached Larkin about anything, and that makes him a bad person?

Not really, but crying and pouting for the last month of the season about playing time when you're supposed to be "the Captain" does.

SteelSD
10-10-2004, 12:28 AM
then please explain where we play kearns/dunn/griffey/pena at the same time?

Easy. You trade Casey at his current high point for value and move either Dunn or Griffey to first base.

What you don't do is move Kearns to 3B. I wholeheartedly agree with Aronchis on this and always have.

If Kearns is placed at 3B on opening day, get ready for another loooooooong season. And I'm still waiting for more than an instance or two of players who've never played anything but OF professionally making anything more than a token move to the Hot Corner with anything more than horrible defensive results.

Let's put this in perspective...

To post a winning record in 2004, the Reds would have had to post a Run Differential of historic proportions- ie. an incredible feat that couldn't possibly been expected. And yet, folks claimed that it was possible. It wasn't and baseball history told us this.

The possibility of a successful Kearns-to-3B move is even more improbable than that. The game's history tells us that too. Yet folks refuse to listen.

Kearns to 3B is not comparable to Chipper Jones. It's not a Johnny Bench (who was absolutely horrible, BTW) situation. It's not Pujols, Rose, Biggio, or anyone else who's played a position where a move to 3B could be projected as a potential success. Hell, Pujols and Nevin were both moved off the hot corner due to their inability to defend the position. And we expect Kearns to be better than either? If Kearns is even as good (unlikely) as either player, then what does that say if other teams are moving these kind of defenders? C'mon, folks.

In short, it's just today's Reds Stupid Thing to Do. A competent GM would have nipped this one in the bud in short order- without even accomodating Kearn's request (if it was actually his request). O'Brien's only saving grace in this situation is if he's letting Kearns try his hand at it simply to allow Austin to prove himself wrong.

Kc61
10-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Agree with Steel. I hate this idea. Kearns needs stability. He has been hurt, has been out of the lineup, has not put up numbers that reflect his abilities. Now we're going to start screwing around with him in the infield? Give him a chance to develop into a star right fielder -- which he can be -- instead of moving him around to an unfamiliar position.

And this does not reflect well on O'Brien. If you think there's a hole at third base, Mr. GM, make a deal and fill it. With a real third baseman. That's your job; not coverting guys like Kearns, who should be focusing on his development as the Reds right fielder.

I'm starting to wonder whether O'Brien believes in adding major league players from other organizations. Time will tell, but there are better ways to solve the third base vacancy than to start converting outfielders who have no real infield experience.

Phhhl
10-10-2004, 02:52 AM
I don't disagree that we should have an established major league third baseman. They should have had a plan when they dealt Boone, or they shouldn't have dealt him. I might also consider dealing Casey, and take a long look at Arizona as a potential trading partner for him if Ritchie Sexson walks. But, I also have little faith the Reds will be able to accomplish either this winter. Nobody is saying it would be easy for Kearns to switch positions, but I think ppl are overreacting when they suggest it is doomed to failure. Ryan Freel, D'Angelo Jiminez, Barry Larkin and Eddie E or anybody else that mans the hot corner in 2005 is probably not going to provide gold glove calibre defense to begin with. Any team that shops in the discount section for veteran talent every year needs to take a chance once in a while. This is a risk the club can afford to make without spending an extra dime, and if it doesn't work out what harm is done? As one of the most talented all around players on the team, I have faith that this experiment will not destroy him no matter what the outcome. I commend him for his willingness to give it a shot. This is an example of a young player putting the team before himself, and that will always garner respect in my book.

malcontent
10-10-2004, 07:55 AM
or so the song goes.

Kearns has played the position in HS and has the instincts/ability to be a great 3B. Just par for the course that it took them this long to pursue the option.

They'll still hafta find another decent OF as you can't count on Griffey making it thru preseason. But that's a separate, seemingly unaddressable issue. Along with the pitching.

Oh, and the Lindner/Allen/O'Brien house of horror.

Krusty
10-10-2004, 08:48 AM
It's the Instructural League folks. What better way to find out in a two-week period whether Kearns has a potential as a third baseman? After two weeks, the Reds will lay to rest the discussion of shifting Kearns to third base.

It's worth the try especially when you are trying to squeeze Dunn, Pena, Junior and Kearns for three spots in the outfield. But after two weeks, I think the Reds will know what they know already......that they will have to go outside to bring in a stopgap third baseman.

Redsfaithful
10-11-2004, 07:51 PM
[ - - 1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS - C - - ]

He's going the wrong way.

But it's worth a shot, and it's best to know one way or the other.

westofyou
10-11-2004, 08:08 PM

Yep he is, guys that make the move have limited range, below average assists and above average errors.

KronoRed
10-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Come on..it's just one spot in the wrong direction

;)

GoReds
10-11-2004, 10:17 PM

I have had problems with this chart from the beginning. It's at best a generalization.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the chart indicating that it's actually harder for Kearns to go to 3B than it is to CF? Didn't Kearns play some center?

For the record, I think the best solution is to forget about moving Kearns to 3B and instead move him or Pena for pitching. However, Kearns value is down at the moment, so the return wouldn't match the potential. Pena is still an unknown over the course of a full season.

What does this say about EdE? If the front office was convinced that EdE will be the solution in a year or two, then this experiment with Kearns is puzzling. In that event, sign a low-dollar vet to man 3B or keep Freel there - neither of which necessitates Kearns to the Instructional League. IMO, EdE has just lost his position at 3B. Don't know if this means EdE is being groomed for SS (I hope not) or 2B (most likely), but I don't think there is any doubt now that EdE won't wind up at 3B.

Aronchis
10-11-2004, 10:21 PM
I have had problems with this chart from the beginning. It's at best a generalization.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the chart indicating that it's actually harder for Kearns to go to 3B than it is to CF? Didn't Kearns play some center?

For the record, I think the best solution is to forget about moving Kearns to 3B and instead move him or Pena for pitching. However, Kearns value is down at the moment, so the return wouldn't match the potential. Pena is still an unknown over the course of a full season.

What does this say about EdE? If the front office was convinced that EdE will be the solution in a year or two, then this experiment with Kearns is puzzling. In that event, sign a low-dollar vet to man 3B or keep Freel there - neither of which necessitates Kearns to the Instructional League. IMO, EdE has just lost his position at 3B. Don't know if this means EdE is being groomed for SS (I hope not) or 2B (most likely), but I don't think there is any doubt now that EdE won't wind up at 3B.

Really disagree with that. Kearns's going to the instructional league for "Third Base" is ad hoc to me, I don't see anything. I thought the Reds might have been interested, but I don't think so. I think it is Austin's move, and this will be dead by Winter.

RosieRed
10-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Really disagree with that. Kearns's going to the instructional league for "Third Base" is ad hoc to me, I don't see anything. I thought the Reds might have been interested, but I don't think so. I think it is Austin's move, and this will be dead by Winter.

Why do you think it's Austin's move? As in the Reds are just indulging him?

The article said:

westofyou
10-11-2004, 10:27 PM

It indicates that it is harder to go to the right, thus thought is that CF is harder to achieve than 3rd.

Kearns did play CF for 300 Plus innings in 2003, 1.1 this past year.

The chart has some basis, not many guys move to the right with much success. I'd like to see a list of 5 guys who did and didn't have a sub standard defensive season.

IslandRed
10-12-2004, 09:22 AM
I don't think this says anything about EdE except that they want him to start 2005 in Triple-A. We're just taking a flyer to see if we can break the logjam and get our best bats in the lineup (in the rare instances when everyone's healthy, anyway). If it works, then we have options with EdE -- try him at another position or trade him for pitching. If it doesn't work, no harm done.

lollipopcurve
10-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Agree, Island Red -- this is an experiment in the instructional league. The timing is right. Plus, if O'Brien is looking to trade a hitter, he can go into winter trade talks without seeming so desperate now. He can say that they're looking at keeping all 5 of the big bats in the lineup.

My main doubt is that it puts Griffey back in the OF. Not sure he can stay healthy out there.

I give a lot of credit to Kearns for being willing to try.