PDA

View Full Version : Five Least Favorite Reds Of All Time

Hap
11-26-2004, 09:12 AM
As much as I love my team, I understand the possibilities of them having individual players I do not like for various reasons.

In no particular order.....

Deion Sanders

Dante Bichette

Jim Kern

Cesar Cedeno

Manny Aybar

Krusty
11-26-2004, 09:16 AM
You forgot Rob Dibble.

dougflynn23
11-26-2004, 09:29 AM
:D Here's my list....

1) Paul Householder
2) Alex Trevino
3) Tracy Jones
4) Willie Greene
5) Mike LaCoss

Householder & Trevino because they represented to me all that was wrong with Dick Wagner. Jones because he refused to learn to play 1B after the 1986 season, and rookies don't refuse requests from management. Greene because he 1) was overrated and 2) we traded John Wetteland for him, and LaCoss because he told a 14 year old and 11 year old (my brother and I) to go @%$#@ ourselves when we asked him for an autograph in 1978.

bomarl1969
11-26-2004, 09:31 AM
1. Ken Griffey, Jr.

2. Carl Linder

3. Pokey Reese

4. Danny Graves

5. John Allen

RedsBaron
11-26-2004, 10:00 AM
1. Woodie Fryman-acquired from the Expos for Tony Perez after the 1976 season, he pitched poorly in 1977 and then quit on the team.
2. Pokey Reese-great glove, poor bat, big mouth.
3. Rob Dibble-million dollar arm ten cent brain.
4. Bobby Tolan. I liked him in 1969-72, but he developed an attitude and quit on the team after that.
5. Alex Johnson-worst fielder I have ever seen with an attitude to match.

Bob Borkowski
11-26-2004, 10:03 AM
1. Alex Johnson - terrible attitude

2. Woody Fryman - after leaving the team, he said 'always hated the BRM'

3. Gary Redus - a malcontent

4. Bob Boone - saying that he over-managed is an under-statement

5. Dick Wagner - he dismantled everything he touched

Ravenlord
11-26-2004, 10:06 AM
1. Dick Wagner

2. Pokey Reese

3. Willie Green

4. Rob Dibble

5. Roberto Kelly (for being the cog that sent away Paul O'Neil, my then favorite player)

RedRoser
11-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Willie Greene
John Franco
Dante Bichette
Dmitri Young
Pokey Reese

REDREAD
11-26-2004, 10:37 AM
1. Allen
2. Lindner.
3. Frank Pastore/John Stupor/Bruce Bernyl -- thanks for making the early 80's miserable with your 6.00+ ERAs.
4. Steve Parris.. I got to see him 3 freaking times live. Every time I bought a ticket, I got him. He was the main reason I vowed to never buy tickets in advance again.
5. Most of the 2004 pitching staff. The stench still lingers. They are probably all nice guys, but most are not quality talent.

I have a feeling that in 3 years, DanO will make the list, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

macro
11-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Danny Graves
Pokey Reese
Bob Tolan
Ray Knight
Dick Wagner

Falls City Beer
11-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Willie Greene
John Franco
Dante Bichette
Dmitri Young
Pokey Reese

Franco? Hey, we can take this outside.
:angry:

My all-time favorite Red.

Least favorite:

Dibble
Tomko
Curtis Goodwin
Bowden
Paul O'Neill

westofyou
11-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Red Buttons
Red Skelton
Red Foreman
Red Grange
Red Hot Chili Peppers

NC Reds
11-26-2004, 10:56 AM
I scrolled down immediately so as not to be influenced by anyone else's list.

I love my Reds, but in no particular order these were guys who I was glad to see go (mostly for personal reasons that had nothing to do with performance).

Roberto Kelly
Kevin Mitchell
Bret Boone (but I liked his brother Aaron just fine...go figure)
Johnny Ruffin
Pokey Reese

RedRoser
11-26-2004, 11:00 AM

Least favorite:

Dibble
Tomko
Curtis Goodwin
Bowden
Paul O'Neill

Probably childish, but he was my wife's favorite all-time Red, too, at least until he refused virtually face to face to sign an autograph for her at a Reds game. I think she sorta forgave him, but I didn't and won't.

---'Roser

NC Reds
11-26-2004, 11:00 AM

Least favorite:

Dibble
Tomko
Curtis Goodwin
Bowden
Paul O'Neill

I didn't think it was possible to dislike Paul O'Neill!!! :eek:

I agree with the assessment of Bowden though.

butlerbulldogs
11-26-2004, 11:36 AM
1 Jeff Branson

2 Javier Valentin

3 Michael Tucker

4 Drew Henson

5 Mike Frank

RollyInRaleigh
11-26-2004, 11:37 AM
1. Rob Dibble

2. Kal Daniels

3. Woodie Fryman (for reasons mentioned by RedsBaron)

4. Bob Tolan (the malcontent Tolan after his injury)

5. Kevin Mitchell

With honorable mentions going to in no particular order:

Roger Nelson
Clint Hurdle
Jeff Jones
Mike Vail
Larry Bittner
Alex Trevino
Dante Bichette
Pokey Reese
Dmitri Young
Jim Kern
"Cocaine Eddie" Milner
Leon Durham
Bob Owchinko

Front Office Personnel

Dick Wagner
John Allen

RFS62
11-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Deion

REDREAD
11-26-2004, 11:51 AM
3 Michael Tucker

Why Tucker? Just curious.

remdog
11-26-2004, 12:08 PM
1. Allen

Why Allen? Just curious. :MandJ:

Rem

Chip R
11-26-2004, 12:55 PM
1. Jim Kern
2. Dennis Rasmussen
3. Pat Darcy
4. Tom Hume - as a player
5. Pokey Reese

schroomytunes
11-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Here's mine in no particular order:

1)Scott Scudder- did absolutely nothing.
2)Jack Armstrong-same as above
3)Alex Trevino-ditto
4)Max Venable-ditto
5)Roberto Kelly-he replaced paul O"neill

REDREAD
11-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Why Allen? Just curious. :MandJ:

Rem

:MandJ: I'm not sure this server has enough file space for me to enumerate all the reasons ;)

Cedric
11-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Tomko
Walker
Graves

Only three right now.

Unassisted
11-26-2004, 04:50 PM
5)Roberto Kelly-he replaced paul O"neillBut JimBo was able to flip him for Deion. ;)

Johnny Footstool
11-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Rick Mahler
Jerry Reuss
Pat Pacillo
Larry Biitner
Bruce Berenyi

Cedric
11-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Who was weirder looking, Mahler, Zane Smith, or a player in the 80's with bright orange hair and freckles. I can't for the life of me remember that guys name. Pitcher.

BoydsOfSummer
11-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Who was weirder looking, Mahler, Zane Smith, or a player in the 80's with bright orange hair and freckles. I can't for the life of me remember that guys name. Pitcher.

Ron "true Creature" Robinson?

DannyB
11-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Graves-crybaby
Fryman
Dreissen
Werner
Kal Daniels

Cedric- was that "The True Creature"?

MAC
11-26-2004, 06:24 PM
What? No Castro on any list!

RollyInRaleigh
11-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Add Mahler to my list. Big timed me at Reds Baseball Heaven, and I'm not really sure why he was even there. Guess they needed filler, or maybe he was representing Reds Baseball Hell. Acted as ugly as he looked.

Cedric
11-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks! It was Robinson, I should have never forgot his name. Right when I saw it I knew it was Ron Robinson.

GradyHatton
11-26-2004, 10:13 PM
I'll submit the following six from an older......errrr....I mean more mature perspective.

Rocky Bridges - Because he was brought in to take Grady's 2B job. Also because we gave up Joe Adcock to get him. :angry:

Milt Pappas, Jack Baldschun, and Dick Simpson - The "has been", the "never was" and the "never will be" we got for Frank Robinson. And they had the gall to give Robby's No. 20 to Simpson. :angry:

Woody Fryman and Dale Murray (I think) - The roster filler we got for Tony Perez. :angry:

Pappas was especially galling to me. One night at Crosley Field we were seated behind home plate. Freebies left for us by Larry Dierker who had played in the lower minors with a friend. Anyway Pappas, the Red's starter was bombed and yanked in the first inning. It wasn't five minutes (I doubt he even showered) before he was in deep conversation with Marvin Miller a couple rows in front of us showing no interest at all in the on field activity. I believe to this day that he tanked his start so he could discuss union business with Miller. Then again.....I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

guernsey
11-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Pete Rose - for breaking the unbreakable rule, and then lying about it for years.

Kevin Mitchell - for quitting on a team late in the season when they had a shot at the playoffs.

Kal Daniels - for wasting his talent.

Curtis Goodwin - hit the ball on the ground and run, dumba$$, not in the air and flyout.

Marge Schott - for missing the opportunity to have the Reds stadium built first, and for dang near running the team into bankruptcy.

Team Clark
11-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Took me 3 seconds to come up with this list.

1. Michael Tucker- What an absolute JERK

2. Joey Hamilton- I saw Adam Dunn nearly throw him CLEAR across the clubhouse once.

3. Rob Bell- What a whiney, pompass, punk.

4. Tom Browning- Gosh, where do you start with Mr. Jekyl and Hyde.

5. Rick Stowe/Chris Brown- Rick is a classless, hillbilly snake and Chris Brown is and was just lazy.

I could go on but then I would only be boasting!! :MandJ:

Easily my favorite Red was Barry Larkin. Always treated me with a great deal of respect. Very kind man.

Aronchis
11-26-2004, 10:41 PM
I agree about Browning, he really had a darkside to him.

AD threw Joey Hamilton across the clubhouse? I would LOVE to have seen that :gac:

Other would be Dante, good ole Dante :p:

Falls City Beer
11-26-2004, 10:45 PM
I agree about Browning, he really had a darkside to him.

AD threw Joey Hamilton across the clubhouse? I would LOVE to have seen that :gac:

Other would be Dante, good ole Dante :p:

I've spoken with Tom Browning a number of times, and he's never been anything but decent and kind. And I was 19 years old when I met the guy the first time, so it wasn't like I was a kid he "had" to be nice to. He went to a country club near where a friend of mine lived. A gentleman in my book.

Team Clark
11-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Hamilton almost made it across...almost.

I keep hearing people bash Dante. What a good guy. He took me to dinner in St. Louis one time. We had a blast and I returned the favor when we returned to Cincy. His kids are really big into Tennis. Granted he was a poor outfielder in his later years, he had a phenomenal arm and he could hit.

Team Clark
11-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Falls City... Tom can be that guy. No question. I like THAT Tom Browning. Then there is "Mr. PERFECT" Tom Browning. Not someone you want to be around. You never know which Tom you are going to get. I spent two months with him and I had seen enough. We all have our good and bad but Tom takes this to an extreme.

Ken Sr. told me one time to be careful of Tom. I asked why and he said to me "Give it a week and you won't need to ask". Boy was he right.

westofyou
11-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Chris Brown is and was just lazy.

Drives a truck in Iraq for Haliburtan.

Yachtzee
11-27-2004, 12:43 AM

I keep hearing people bash Dante. What a good guy. He took me to dinner in St. Louis one time. We had a blast and I returned the favor when we returned to Cincy. His kids are really big into Tennis. Granted he was a poor outfielder in his later years, he had a phenomenal arm and he could hit.

Thanks for the inside perspective, Team Clark.
Dante is one of my wife's all time favorites. When we lived in Chicago, my wife the Cubs fan scored us some bleacher seats for one of the Reds' series. We sat in right field because my wife and her friends were Sosa fans. Anyway, the bleacher bums were getting on Dante, singing "Dante's got a big butt!" (to the tune of "nya nya - nya nya - NYA nya" of playground taunt fame). Instead of ignoring the bums or getting ticked off, Dante started wiggling his ample behind in time with the taunts. At one point, he even did a little dance. It was at that point that my wife really started to like the Reds, and Dante Bichette in particular.

iammrred
11-27-2004, 01:09 AM
Took me 3 seconds to come up with this list.

1. Michael Tucker- What an absolute JERK

2. Joey Hamilton- I saw Adam Dunn nearly throw him CLEAR across the clubhouse once.

3. Rob Bell- What a whiney, pompass, punk.

4. Tom Browning- Gosh, where do you start with Mr. Jekyl and Hyde.

5. Rick Stowe/Chris Brown- Rick is a classless, hillbilly snake and Chris Brown is and was just lazy.

I could go on but then I would only be boasting!! :MandJ:

Easily my favorite Red was Barry Larkin. Always treated me with a great deal of respect. Very kind man.

Clark -- I'm new, so please fill me in. How did you have access to the clubhouse? Did you have a media credential?

Phhhl
11-27-2004, 01:27 AM
I don't really care about the personalities of the players, so I am basing my list on those who disappointed me the most with their lack of production:

1. Willie Greene
2. Kal Daniels
3. Jack Armstrong
4. Ryan Dempster
5. Alex Trevino (because he was the key scrub in the George Foster trade)

RedsBaron
11-27-2004, 07:52 AM

Dante Bichette's production in his lone season with the Reds was disappointing, particularly in the field, but he always seemed to me to be giving all he had and to be a decent guy as well, so he didn't make my list of least favorite Reds. It is the guys who just quit on the team, such as Woodie Fryman and Bobby Tolan, that I don't care for, or the guys who were half nuts such as Rob Dibble and Alex Johnson.

baseballPAP
11-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Kal Daniels-all that talent.....
Brett Tomko- couldn't put it together
Pete Rose-the scars run deep
Deion-twice wasn't enough?
JD Drew-not a Red, but MAN I hate that guy!

RollyInRaleigh
11-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by RedsBaron:

the guys who were half nuts such as Rob Dibble and Alex Johnson.

I believe that those two guys would qualify for the "full fledged" nut category, RedsBaron.
;) :gac:

Johnson was one of the all time bad characters in the game.

St Louis Cardinals publicity director, Jim Toomey, in a phone call to beat writer Earl Lawson upon learning that Alex Johnson had just been traded from the Cardinals to the Reds:

Earl, I just want to warn you that when Alex Johnson says "Mother," he has just exhausted half of his vocabulary.

Lawson later learned that Toomey hadn't been kidding.

RedsBaron
11-27-2004, 09:26 AM
I believe that those two guys would qualify for the "full fledged" nut category, RedsBaron.
;) :gac:

Johnson was one of the all time bad characters in the game.

St Louis Cardinals publicity director, Jim Toomey, in a phone call to beat writer Earl Lawson upon learning that Alex Johnson had just been traded from the Cardinals to the Reds:

Earl, I just want to warn you that when Alex Johnson says "Mother," he has just exhausted half of his vocabulary.

Lawson later learned that Toomey hadn't been kidding.
Good point.
I too had read the quote about Johnson's vocabulary.
My favorite Johnson story, which I believe that I have posted before, occurred in the 1969 season. As was his custom, Johnson dropped a flyball in leftfield, but, before it hit the ground, centerfielder Pete Rose (yes, centerfielder) grabbed it for the out. About one week later Johnson dropped another flyball which did hit the ground for an error. Johnson promptly yelled to Rose: "Where were you?"

Chip R
11-27-2004, 10:09 AM
I keep hearing people bash Dante. What a good guy. He took me to dinner in St. Louis one time. We had a blast and I returned the favor when we returned to Cincy. His kids are really big into Tennis. Granted he was a poor outfielder in his later years, he had a phenomenal arm and he could hit.He could hit. Unfortunately he couldn't hit for the Reds. That combined with his lack of svelteness and poor OF play while he was here are probably the reason many Reds fans don't like him. But it's nice to hear he's a good guy.

RollyInRaleigh
11-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Good point.
I too had read the quote about Johnson's vocabulary.
My favorite Johnson story, which I believe that I have posted before, occurred in the 1969 season. As was his custom, Johnson dropped a flyball in leftfield, but, before it hit the ground, centerfielder Pete Rose (yes, centerfielder) grabbed it for the out. About one week later Johnson dropped another flyball which did hit the ground for an error. Johnson promptly yelled to Rose: "Where were you?"

I love Alex Johnson stories. There was the one where Johnson's homerun total had eclipsed his last season's total early in the 1968 season. A Philadelphia sportswriter posed the question, "Alex, you hit only two homers last season. You already have seven this season. What's the difference?"

Johnson, seemingly amused by his answer replied without the slightest trace of a smile, "Five."

Another was when Alex had a big day at the plate on Mother's Day of 1969, Earl Lawson asked him if the big day at the plate had been a Mother's Day gift for his wife.

Johnson scowled and said, "She aint no mother. We ain't got no children."

:)

westofyou
11-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Once Alex dropped a couple of fly balls one afternoon. After the game Bristol took his glove (which was a ragged old floopy piece of crap) and tossed in the trash.

"You'll never use this piece of crap ion a game I manage again" said Bristol.

The next day Alex took the field in a brand new glove that he bought the night before, except he didn't try to work the thing in at all, Instead he ripped the price tag off and wore it out, stiff as a board.

Nuxhall (who told the story at SABR) said that everytime the ball was hit to Alex it sounded like someone was slapping a board against a wall as the ball it the stiff leather glove.

Tony Cloninger
11-27-2004, 11:35 AM
I would like to add Dennis Rasmussen to this list.

Was traded from the Yankees in late 1987 for Bill Gullickson (never understood why a badly needed starter was traded for another starter...maybe it had something to do with BG impending FA)

He pitched good in his last 5 or 6 starts for Cincy that year.

He goes into the tank in early 1988.......then gets traded to SD in the middle of June and goes 13-3 or something like that. In fact in his last start for the Reds he faced the Dodgers and gave up 6 runs on 8 hits in 1.1 innings.

Then in his 1st start with SD he beats them easily!

It was like Woodie Fryman Part II.

When was Chris Brown ever a Red anyways?
During ST?

He has a lot more guts now i guess.... i read that ESPN story where he drives and works in Iraq now.

GradyHatton
11-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Another Alex Johnson story. It was reported that while here, he was kept halfway in line by Pete Rose and Tommy Helms. Later, after apparently wearing out his welcome with the Angels, Milwaukee GM Frank Lane asked former Red's and then Brewer manager Dave Bristol if he had interest in acquiring Alex. "Not unless you can get Rose and Helms too" Bristol replied.

Funny but not unexpected I guess, to note that a few players listed as "least favorite" were some of my most favored. Dante Bichette, Steve Parris, Bruce Berenyi (like me, a Pepsi freak) and especially Paul O'Neill.

Team Clark
11-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Yes I did have credentials for several years. What a true joy. I played Minor League ball and coached in the minors as well. I have a unique perspective from both sides of the coin.

Redsland
11-27-2004, 10:51 PM
1. Pokey Reese - A me-first whining quitter. After that, things rapidly go downhill.
2. Brian Hunter - First he charges Scott Sullivan and rightly gets his ass pounded deep into the infield grass, then he becomes a Red and wears Eric Davis's hallowed #44. Oh, and he still hadn't served his suspension.
3. Jimmy Haynes - First you suck for a decade and hit the lottery, then you come to camp fat. Unless DanO starts signing aces, cutting you will forever be remembered as his shining moment.
4. Ray Knight - Pete Rose plays third. Who's that guy?
5. Danny Graves - He *****es about the fans, *****es about the press, *****es about trades, *****es about starting, *****es when he doesn't get innings, blows saves like they're dandelions, and still finds time to cash the checks.

Redsland
11-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Whoops. Looks like TV-safe words aren't kosher. My apologies. :gac:

iammrred
11-28-2004, 12:02 AM
When has Graves *****ed about any of that?

Hap
11-28-2004, 01:07 AM
...Dennis Rasmussen...He goes into the tank in early 1988.......then gets traded to SD in the middle of June and goes 13-3 or something like that...

Hardcore fans like me remember Johnny Bench bragging about advising Rasmussen about a change in his mechanics just before he was traded and hit his hot streak.

Anyhoo....five more who deserve mention.

Jerry Reuss

Gino Minutelli

Joe Hoerner

Rich Hinton

Rick Krivda

Clemson
11-28-2004, 01:52 AM
1 ron villone
2 haynes
3 chris hammond
4 steve parris
5 tomko

Ga_Red
11-28-2004, 02:59 AM
2/09/07

Tony Cloninger
11-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I did not know that about Rasmussen. Why didn't Johnny do this before he left?

Somehow though....as much as i love Bench....i doubt this. I mean....Charlie Liebrandt said that he was the reason he tanked so bad in Cincy.

Why the hate for Parker and Pinson and Blackwell...GaRed?

Just curious since those 3 were pretty good in their time with the Reds.
Pinson was known as a really nice man also....unless your name is Earl Lawson.

Team Clark
11-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Brad Gulden belongs on that list. Although I never me the guy, his clubhouse lore is one of a real stuck up jerk.

traderumor
11-28-2004, 12:07 PM
no mention of chris stynes? I recall jerk stories from him, just don't remember if they were with the reds or not.

Marge'sMullet
11-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Danny "over rated" Graves
Roberto Kelly
Tracy Jones "then and now"
Ed Tallbensees sp?
Gapper

RollyInRaleigh
11-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Forgot about Greg Vaughn. Add him to my list. Heard some really bad things about the "supposed leader" at Reds Baseball Heaven.

PressBox
11-28-2004, 08:22 PM
This is in order from most least favorite to least least favorite. Yeah.
1. Deion Sanders
2. Carl Lindner - here's hoping he sees this
3. Cesar Hernandez (He jumps to number 2 because, to my surprise, nobody else has mentioned him yet. Have you forgotten that dropped fly ball at Wrigley in May 1993? That was the turning point in a truly hellish season.)
4. Rob Dibble
5. Kal Daniels - (I wanted so much to like him, but I'll never forget the time in 1988 when, once the Reds were eliminated, he said he didn't see the point in playing the rest of the season.)

Honorable mention goes to Ted Power and Rick Mahler

gilpdawg
11-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Wow, I remember Cesar Hernandez!!! I remember Marty trying to dipliimatically say "hey this guy sucks," on the air without actually saying it. I think he got released right after that fateful game when he dropped the ball, actually.

My others:
Deion
Terry Francona
Roberto Kelly (only because we traded Paulie for him)
Brandon Larson
Scott Scudder(he was supposed to be a prospect?)

redsfanmia
11-29-2004, 10:24 PM
1.Ray Knight... Awful manager and he hit Eric Davis while big Eric Gregg had him in a bear hug.
2.Jimmy Haynes... the guy just threw batting practice.
3.Jason Larue... just an absolute horrible defensive catcher and lets face he's not exactly Johnny Bench in the batters box.
4.Pete Rose... great player/horrible person
5.Ryan Freel... he will eventually hurt someone with his "hustle", i call it being a hot dog!

LINEDRIVER
11-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Here's some of my all-time NON-favorite Cincinnati Reds' players.

Cesar Cedeno ... Threw a temper tantrum on the plane at the Chicago airport when he realized he wasn't being given a first class seat. Made a total jerk of himself and flew back to Cincinnati on a different plane.

Woodie Fryman ... I remember him stinking up the joint as a Red in 1977 and going home. What's up with that?

Tom Browning ... I think about all the gopher balls he threw in his career when I hear about his perfect game.

Bip Roberts ... Big mouth little punk.

Dennis Rasmussen ... I remember sitting in the first-base side blue seats at Riverfront Stadium while watching him take another shellacking. When he was eventually pulled from the game and was walking toward the first base dugout, I stood and yelled, "You STINK!!!!"

Mario Soto ... He and Gary Nolan threw some of the best change-ups ever thrown in the big leagues, but......
I remember watching a Reds/Cubs game on WGN while living in New Orleans in 1983 or 84. Soto became unglued and was trying to take a bat into the stands at Wrigley Field. He totally embarrassed me as a Reds fan and as a baseball fan.

zombie-a-go-go
11-30-2004, 07:56 AM
5.Ryan Freel... he will eventually hurt someone with his "hustle", i call it being a hot dog!

Why you gotta go breakin' my heart like that?

Zimmazamma
11-30-2004, 09:20 AM
I never liked Noodles Hahn...something about him just pissed me off

REDREAD
11-30-2004, 09:40 AM
I've spoken with Tom Browning a number of times, and he's never been anything but decent and kind. And I was 19 years old when I met the guy the first time, so it wasn't like I was a kid he "had" to be nice to. He went to a country club near where a friend of mine lived. A gentleman in my book.

I was approximately 12-14 years old in Brownings rookie year. My younger brother and I ran into him, and he spent about 15 minutes talking to us and he signed for us. Made a good impression on me. Plus, doesn't the dude have like 9 kids? Maybe when you get to know him better, he's a jerk, but he made a good impression on me :thumbup:

graveyard
11-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Kal daniels
jim kern

I personally know Woody Fryman and he is a real good person. His youngest son is a jerk. Talked to him last year and he thought the 75 76 reds were the best team he had ever played against. I think in 77 there was a lot of turmoil in the clubhouse between other players and he had just had enough.
(Bench and Rose)

Super_Barry11
11-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Why you gotta go breakin' my heart like that?

I know!! That made me so sad!!!

Raisor
11-30-2004, 04:15 PM
1. Deion Sanders

Why JimBo felt the need to bring him in the first time, I'll never know, let alone bringing the Scooter Riding, Security Guard hitting non-onbase machine back two more times is a mystery that will last a lifetime.

2. Pete Rose

Gives us degenerate gamblers a bad name.

dougflynn23
11-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Kal daniels
jim kern

I personally know Woody Fryman and he is a real good person. I think in 77 there was a lot of turmoil in the clubhouse between other players and he had just had enough.
(Bench and Rose) :D I don't care how frustrated he was, you don't quit on your team. I was a 13 year old kid in 1977, and remember well the 5-5 record with a 5.30+ ERA (unheard of in that era) Fryman posted. He had been yanked from the rotation, and decided to tend to his tobacco crop in Ewing, KY. It is a painful memory that we traded a HOF'er and the heart & soul of our team for a pitcher with a career losing record and a quitter to boot.

bucksfan
11-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Tucker, Dibble, Hamilton, Haynes, Tomko, Estes

Wheelhouse
12-01-2004, 09:50 AM
#1 Bob Boone-worst manager ever
#2 Ron Oester-never had a meaningful RBI in his career (except 1 in '90 WS), few errors because he reached so few balls, always chickened out on DPs
#3 Aaron Boone-nothin' worse than a 25 HR guy who thinks he's a 40 HR guy,used profanity to fans with kids standing nearby
#4 Mike LaCoss-one hit wonder, pain afterward
#5 Danny Graves-"that's the way this game is..."

cumberlandreds
12-01-2004, 10:02 AM
:D I don't care how frustrated he was, you don't quit on your team. I was a 13 year old kid in 1977, and remember well the 5-5 record with a 5.30+ ERA (unheard of in that era) Fryman posted. He had been yanked from the rotation, and decided to tend to his tobacco crop in Ewing, KY. It is a painful memory that we traded a HOF'er and the heart & soul of our team for a pitcher with a career losing record and a quitter to boot.

I agree with you. For that reason Fryman is atop my list along with Bobby Tolan and Dick Wagner for destroying the BRM.

westofyou
12-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Fryman was pretty much done when he got here, 37 years old and he topped 100 innings once more in his career, hardly his fault in 77. His walk rate had started to get out of control and was really bad with the Reds.

But color me biased, in 1972 he was traded to the Tigers and went 10-3 with 6 complete games and helped them win the AL East.

Big Klu
12-02-2004, 03:50 PM
1. Jim Kern
2. Leon Durham
3. Tim Leary
4. Danny Graves
5. Brad Gulden

Least favorite minor-leaguer -- Drew Henson

Least favorite manager:
1. Vern Rapp
2. Bob Boone

Least favorite person ever associated with the Reds -- Dick Wagner

stevekun
12-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Here's my list:

1. Aaron Boone...never liked the guy for some reason

2. Reese...mouth drove me crazy

3. Sanders....just because he is Deon

4. Larue.

5. JIMMY ANDERSON...can't believe he didn't make anyones list.

roby
12-02-2004, 04:10 PM
My list is:
1)Bill DeWitt...for being the GM that traded Frank Robinson because he was "old." Ruined my childhood.
2)Xavier Hernandez...the worst pitcher in memory. He could blow a lead EVERY TIME!
3)Vince Coleman...what a waste.
4)Danny Graves...the worst pitcher in memory. He could blow a lead EVERY TIME! Oh, yeah, that was Xavier.
5)Dante Bichette...great hitter,,,in Colorado.

Bipster29
12-05-2004, 08:35 AM
This is somewhat redundant I guess since so many people have mentioned these guys, but here goes:

Jimmy Haynes - Here's a guy who has good AAA stuff and terrible MLB stuff. Yet, the Reds make him their Opening Day starter. What else could have happened except a disaster? One fluke season does not change the fact that he is absolutely mediocre. I would much rather take a chance on an unproven rookie than a pure stiff.

Jim Kern - Jerk. If you don't like playing in Cincinnati, it's because the fans have turned on you for being a jerk.

Alex Trevino - To me, Trevino was the only supposedly talented player we received in turn for dumping our entire starting OF after the 1981 season. In reality, he probably had no chance to be successful on that team, but his skills were poor and the fans hated him. He was no Bench, but heck, he wasn't even LaRue either.

Ron Oester - Someone with Oester's physical size and skills should surely have been able to get more out of himself right? Career high in doubles = 26, and career high in HR = 11. Don Gullett had a better swing than him.

Bob Buchanan - Couldn't break a pane of glass with his fastball, but he was ticked that he didn't get his call to the majors much earlier in his career. His stats when he finally did get to Cincinnati were 8.44 ERA with a 1.91 WHIP.

Personally, I doubt have too much of a problem with players who flop (Wille Greene was mentioned previously), I get more frustrated with players who give it away because of their attitude or inability to change (Kern/Oester) or who shouldn't have been in the bigs in the first place (Haynes, Trevino, and Buchanan).

My honorable mention is Hal Morris. My gut tells me he hit .300+ in the first five innings, when the Reds were up or down by 5 or more runs, or the pennant race was over. I bet he hit sub .200 after the sixth inning in close games. Exactly the opposite of Tony Perez. :)