PDA

View Full Version : Your "I just don't get it" list

macro
12-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Aren't there just some things in life that you just "don't get"? Aren't there those things that large numbers of people are fanatical about, and you just don't understand what the big deal is all about? It may be a movie, a food or drink, a sport, a celebrity, or whatever.

Here's my list, off the top of my head. I'll add more later if I think of them. Oh, and this is all in fun, so don't take it too seriously. :)

Prime Rib: It costs more than other steaks, and some people get all watery-mouthed just thinking about it. I think it's ugly, and prefer not to eat it. I guess I just don't get it.

Dave Matthews Band: I've never understood why people like this band so much. I'll stop with my comments right there to avoid offending fans of DMB, but suffice to say that I just don't get it.

Hockey/Soccer: I've tried more than once to develop an appreciation for these sports, and I just can't do it. Millions go crazy for a hockey game, and the entire planet is fanatical about soccer, it seems. I don't get it.

Jessica Simpson: I don't think she's really that pretty, she certainly isn't intelligent, and watching her pained expressions and jerky movements when she sings is more annoying than long fingernails on a chalkboard. Yet many males I know don't hesitate to list her among today's top hotties. Needless to say, I just don't get it.

Outfield seats: I just don't like the view of the game from behind the outfield wall. I feel disoriented. As long as I'm between the bases, I'd rather be up high than be behind the wall. What am I missing here?

Reality television: When will this ever run its course? As soon as I found out that shows like The Bachelor and Survivor were scripted, I lost what little interest I had. Yet I know people who live and die with such shows (especially Survivor). Give me a good documentary on TLC or The History Channel, or a good ballgame of course. No fake reality television for me. I just don't get it.

Bowl Games: I have friends that get fired up looking forward to camping out in front of the set for bowl games all day January 1. Why? Why waste your day watching meaningless exhibition football games that no one will remember two months from now? I don't get it.

Bath and Body Works: Okay, some of that hand soap and body lotion smells really good, but at the prices they charge, it should. $4.00 for a little bottle of hand soap because it has little bead thingies in it? And what's the appeal of smelling like a cucumber? My wife has tried to explain, but I don't get it.

Hunting and fishing: Yes, growing up as a country boy, I tried both. I got into the fishing thing for a time, but never became addicted as some of my friends did. I always thought there was too thin a line between fishing and just sitting in a boat looking stupid. :D As for hunting, I had that experience forced on me as a kid, and hated every minute of it! What's so exciting about getting up at 3:00 or 4:00am and going out into the cold, just for the chance to kill something? I know hunting is needed to control the herds, and I'm all for the ones who want to do it, but I don't get the appeal.

What is it that you don't get?

DunnersGrl44
12-18-2004, 12:01 AM
I agree with you on everything on your list. Especially Dave Matthews band. But I am gonna have to somewhat disagree with the Outfield Seats, As a female, I enjoy the seating simply because they are close to the relief pitchers and some of them are nice to look at.

Hap
12-18-2004, 12:10 AM
I just don't get Linda Cropp's intentions.

pedro
12-18-2004, 01:27 AM
Aren't there just some things in life that you just "don't get"? Aren't there those things that large numbers of people are fanatical about, and you just don't understand what the big deal is all about? It may be a movie, a food or drink, a sport, a celebrity, or whatever.

Here's my list, off the top of my head. I'll add more later if I think of them. Oh, and this is all in fun, so don't take it too seriously. :)

Prime Rib: It costs more than other steaks, and some people get all watery-mouthed just thinking about it. I think it's ugly, and prefer not to eat it. I guess I just don't get it.

Dave Matthews Band: I've never understood why people like this band so much. I'll stop with my comments right there to avoid offending fans of DMB, but suffice to say that I just don't get it.

Hockey/Soccer: I've tried more than once to develop an appreciation for these sports, and I just can't do it. Millions go crazy for a hockey game, and the entire planet is fanatical about soccer, it seems. I don't get it.

Jessica Simpson: I don't think she's really that pretty, she certainly isn't intelligent, and watching her pained expressions and jerky movements when she sings is more annoying than long fingernails on a chalkboard. Yet many males I know don't hesitate to list her among today's top hotties. Needless to say, I just don't get it.

Bud Light: I'm assuming this must be the top-selling brew in the U.S.? Why? It sure tastes like sugar water to me. Why do so many make it their drink of choice? I don't get it.

Outfield seats: I just don't like the view of the game from behind the outfield wall. I feel disoriented. As long as I'm between the bases, I'd rather be up high than be behind the wall. What am I missing here?

Reality television: When will this ever run its course? As soon as I found out that shows like The Bachelor and Survivor were scripted, I lost what little interest I had. Yet I know people who live and die with such shows (especially Survivor). Give me a good documentary on TLC or The History Channel, or a good ballgame of course. No fake reality television for me. I just don't get it.

Bowl Games: I have friends that get fired up looking forward to camping out in front of the set for bowl games all day January 1. Why? Why waste your day watching meaningless exhibition football games that no one will remember two months from now? I don't get it.

Bath and Body Works: Okay, some of that hand soap and body lotion smells really good, but at the prices they charge, it should. $4.00 for a little bottle of hand soap because it has little bead thingies in it? And what's the appeal of smelling like a cucumber? My wife has tried to explain, but I don't get it.

Hunting and fishing: Yes, growing up as a country boy, I tried both. I got into the fishing thing for a time, but never became addicted as some of my friends did. I always thought there was too thin a line between fishing and just sitting in a boat looking stupid. :D As for hunting, I had that experience forced on me as a kid, and hated every minute of it! What's so exciting about getting up at 3:00 or 4:00am and going out into the cold, just for the chance to kill something? I know hunting is needed to control the herds, and I'm all for the ones who want to do it, but I don't get the appeal.

What is it that you don't get?

good list macro.

i'd like to add that I don't "get" Olives.

missionhockey21
12-18-2004, 01:38 AM
There are many of life's mysteries that have perplexed me from time to time but only one confuses me like no other:

The Reds Front Office and Ownership. :mhcky21:

Cedric
12-18-2004, 01:41 AM
EMO, rap, nu-metal. Basically all that new crap on the radio. Don't get it.

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 03:19 AM
fishing:

It's all about spending the day floating in a boat or sitting on shore, good book in hand, cold beverage between feet - a quiet day away from life.

This is pretty good. I'll have to come up with a list when I'm thinking clearly.

traderumor
12-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Good Stuff, Macro.

I don't get aggressive driving and speeding. Surely these people realize that their weaving in and out at high rates of speed is not likely to get them to their destination any quicker than me, especially after they take their trip to the hospital or the funeral home.

I also don't get those who develop and send computer viruses. Wouldn't it be more fun to go down to the school and throw rocks through the windows, or tp someone's house?

I don't get the liberal mind. Oy, better not go any further there :) .

I don't get parades. Let's take some time out of our day, maybe even sit in the rain and/or snow and cold to watch a bunch of people throw candy, march, ride real slow in a car or on a decorated trailer, and have our brains blasted by a fire engine horn.

I don't get low rider jeans. So many of these girls should be trying to do everything they can to hide those bellies, not bare them for all the world to see them jiggle. And there's nothing attractive about someone's butt crack showing.

I don't get tatoos. Permanent reminders of a drunken stupor or the name of some chick that dumped me are not what I'm looking for.

I don't get nail polish and those tip thingies. It smells up my house both at painting and removing time. And five year old girls like to experiment with their younger brothers using the stuff.

12-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Ouzo. Yuk.

Hollywood action movies. Same old formula.

Paris Hilton. I feel the same about Jessica Simpson.

RealityTV. Never "got it" enough to give it a try. I want escape in my TV.

Light beer. A few less calories and a lot less taste.

The need to spend the exact same $ on everyone of the same status on your Xmas buying list.

The fear some liberals have of letting Christmas be a religious holiday. My faith is very weak, if it even exists, but it is a religious holiday, you know!

RollyInRaleigh
12-18-2004, 08:57 AM
The miracle of life

Abortion

Music blaring from car speakers

rap music

Why my golf scores don't keep going down

Homosexuality

The Opera

Drinking so much that you get sick, then bragging about it.

Men's sandles

Lawn statues

Liberals

Taking drugs

Sunday drives (spent many a Sunday afternoon on these, and disliked every minute)

Parents who let their children run wild

Cats

People who think they are superior to, better, or smarter than others

Bad manners

not taking care of possesions (house, car, lawn, pets, toys.......)

Child and spouse abuse

Self absorbed people

atheists

People who litter

Neck ties ( I wear 'em but I sure as heck don't understand 'em)

Why things cost so much (Why does a gallon of milk cost $4.00?)

Falls City Beer
12-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Evangelical Christians (get off my lawn, stay away from my doorbell)

America's Middle East policy under Bush

Henry Kissinger

Pinochet

taking bubble baths

Milton

Rilke

Tennyson

Nascar

Hockey

Hippies

Wal Mart--sure it's cheap, but it's also crap.

Red Thunder
12-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Very good list macro.

I especially share your sentiments about hunting & fishing. My list of things that I don't get would also include:

Drivers who are not signalizing when they change lanes
Yeah, must be real hard to either find and/or then even use that lamp-signaller.

Golf
The most boring sport in the world, and there are actually people making millions of $$$ playing it? I don't get it.

Buying an animal without having a clue about its needs
I have two dsungarian hamsters (the ones which are smaller than the common Goldhamsters) and I'm really amazed, what crappy cages along with much too small wheels are available in pet shops. Sometimes it's so obvious that this crap absolutely doesn't fit the needs, that it makes me mad. Why don't have manufactureres and people who even buy this stuff any sense of responsibility?

P.S.: If you are looking for an animal I'd recommend to check the local animal rescue first. I got one of my hamsters there, too.

traderumor
12-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Thought of another one:

I don't get why wanted unborn human beings are commonly referred to as "babies" and "him/her" while unwanted unborn human beings that become abortion victims are commonly referred to as "fetuses" and "it"???????????? :(

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Off the top of my sleepy head:

High Heels - they're torture devices probably invented by men.

Facial piercing - "Good luck with that job interview, cool dude."

Intolerant people

Wine coolers - decide between soda, kool-aid or wine, you noncommittal person.

Golf - needs a defensive person to try to catch the ball and throw it back.

Bear hunting - you don't eat the meat. It isn't sporting to make a big pile of donuts and junk food then wait for the bear. Not much of an excuse for it.

People that duck hunt without retrieving the ducks.

Companies that build lakes and greenery around their buildings then discourage the geese from the property.

People who don't use their turn signal. I'll let you in if I know you're coming.

Ignore lists.

Those annoying postcards found in magazines.

Cell phones - I don't want to be that accessible.

Red Thunder
12-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Facial piercing - "Good luck with that job interview, cool dude."

Intolerant people

Hmmmm, I think somehow both points don't fit very well together ;) .

RFS62
12-18-2004, 01:00 PM
The strong taking advantage of the weak. Drives me crazy. To the point that I often just can't stand it and say or do things I shouldn't. If you're strong, it's your responsibility to look out for the weak.

Hunting for sport. Especially if you don't eat the meat. Killing for fun.

Rap music. Especially Gangsta rap. Yeah, I know. Poetry of the streets. Bleech.

Religious arguments or discussions where parties think their way is the only way.

Arrogance.

RFS62
12-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Oh, and you guys and gals who think golf is boring are right. If you don't know anything about it, it's as boring as watching paint dry. But a golf swing is the closest thing to a baseball swing I know, and that was enough to get me hooked after baseball was over for me.

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Hmmmm, I think somehow both points don't fit very well together ;) .

:MandJ: It's not that I dislike the people! I just don't "get" piercing your face!

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Actually golf to 62 is probably like fishing is to me.

traderumor
12-18-2004, 01:08 PM
jewelry

cincinnati chili
12-18-2004, 01:17 PM
jewelry

Agreed.

Here's another one. Women who profess a desire to be self-sufficient from men, while hoping with all their being that their man will blow two months' salary on a diamond for them.

westofyou
12-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Agreed.

Here's another one. Women who profess a desire to be self-sufficient from men, while hoping with all their being that their man will blow two months' salary on a diamond for them.

Not in this house.

We know were they come from.

pedro
12-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Fast Food. I just think it's gross.

CougarQuest
12-18-2004, 01:34 PM
I've read these list and the thought occurred to me that this could explain some scores on "How weird are you". :help:

:MandJ:

cincinnati chili
12-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Not in this house.

Nor mine. Admittedly though, ours was a decision based in maecroeconomics (the micro referring to the economics inside chili's wallet) rather than ethics.

traderumor
12-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Agreed.

Here's another one. Women who profess a desire to be self-sufficient from men, while hoping with all their being that their man will blow two months' salary on a diamond for them.You mean that "rule of thumb" promoted by jewelers?

RollyInRaleigh
12-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Oh, and you guys and gals who think golf is boring are right. If you don't know anything about it, it's as boring as watching paint dry. But a golf swing is the closest thing to a baseball swing I know, and that was enough to get me hooked after baseball was over for me.

:thumbup: Same for me, RFS62. Bought those Mizuno MX23's that I had talked to you about. Great clubs, but the forged heads have been an adjustment for me. Still like my Callaway X-14's when it's cold.

And I like to fish, too, TC! :gac:

RosieRed
12-18-2004, 02:19 PM
I just don't get:

The Simpsons
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter (books and/or movies)
Low/no carbs
Eggnog
Mean people
Arrogant people

I especially don't get why an engaged couple, who own a house together and have lived in it for years, need to register for every possible kitchen appliance when they get married. (Actually, I don't get a lot of the registration stuff when it comes to weddings and babies.)

And I certainly don't understand men.

RFS62
12-18-2004, 02:21 PM
And I certainly don't understand men.

We're a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, and soaked in beer.

:gac:

westofyou
12-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Nipple Rings

Why Garfield was ever popular

Processed Meat as a gift

Snow camping

Velveeta

Church twice on sunday

How Hollywood films mark progress with a montage sequence backed by a motown song.

People who hate nature

Cricket

Red Thunder
12-18-2004, 02:31 PM
I just don't get:
The Simpsons
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter (books and/or movies)

And your weird-score in that other thread was like what ;) ?

cincinnati chili
12-18-2004, 02:37 PM
I just don't get:

I especially don't get why an engaged couple, who own a house together and have lived in it for years, need to register for every possible kitchen appliance when they get married.

Because if my wife and I wouldn't have registered all that stuff, we'd still be cooking food over an open flame and poking it with a stick.

RosieRed
12-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Because if my wife and I wouldn't have registered all that stuff, we'd still be cooking food over an open flame and poking it with a stick.

And ... that's a problem? :p:

Phoenix
12-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Nice list Macro. Among the things I don't get:

Nascar. I have to deal with traffic all day. Why would I watch yet more cars going around in a circle on my day off?

Golf. Very boring. And I have to listen to SportsCenter and hear about them as if they are athletes? No way. Golf is just recreation like bowling.

Fear Factor. Ok so they are eating worms. And why should that entertain me?

Aerosmith. They had a nice run in the late 70's. Then comes the new "MTV Aerosmith" where every song sounds the same.

New Orleans. It's dirty and smells like stale beer and urine. Give me Vegas any day.

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Snow camping

I used to love it. Not bitter, bitter cold, but enough to appreciate the fire. The crowds aren't there and the deer are. Coleman lantern and a good book.

A bonus weekend would include another body for warmth.

I was nutty enough to go ice fishing too. Sometimes I'd go by myself. Nothing weirder than walking out on a desolate pond and hearing the eery creaking and crackling of the ice.

Red Leader
12-18-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't get:

Why Britney Spears is popular. She's trash, and there are plenty of other pretty girls in the world.

NASCAR, same reason as Phoenix.

Wanting to live in a cold weather climate

People who are mean to homeless people

Not wanting to be employed

Cats. Why do people want these as pets. They only want to be around you like 30 seconds a day and the rest of the time they look at you like you're invading their privacy.

Oprah. Just don't get why she's so poplular, she's rude to most of her average audience members from what I've seen. Even the ones she does stuff for, she's acts like she'd rather not do it.

Michael Jackson. You make me believe in aliens.

"Designer" purses: Why in the hell would you spend $600 on a purse? You can buy one that looks similar for $40.

Phish. Never understood the attraction. Decent instrumental play, but lyrics are terrible and the concert atmosphere sucks.

Sushi and caviar. Raw fish and fish eggs? Ich. I'll take mine beer battered over and open flame by the cabin, thanks.

I'm going to wrap it up now. I could go on, and on, and on, but I won't.

Falls City Beer
12-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Anti-intellectualism--(this message brought to you in part by: Fleming, Einstein, Godel, Aristotle, Plato, Michelangelo, Kant, Schiller, Goethe, Duns Scotus, Thomas More, Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhi, Ben Franklin, George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, St. Augustine, Henry Clay, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Dante, Watson, Crick, Rosalind Franklin, Virginia Woolf, Marie Curie, Sappho, Eleanor Roosevelt)

RBA
12-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Bottled Water.

RBA
12-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Non-Alcohol Beer.

traderumor
12-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Decaf Coffee

cincinnati chili
12-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Soap Operas

Professional Wrestling

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Cats. Why do people want these as pets. They only want to be around you like 30 seconds a day and the rest of the time they look at you like you're invading their privacy.

I was never a cat person. Really wasn't. I'm all about having a yellow lab some day. We raised Labs as working dogs. (Well, my dad did until we pampered the heck out of them.)

Only 2 cats I ever cared about Tammy Fay Baker .... shortened to Baker once I learned HIS true identity. Don't know his history or his age. Homely son of a gun. Interesting how he came to adopt me as his human. Awesome shelter cat .... good mouser, great companion. Big fat orange sloth. Rest in peace .... the chipmunk tricked you. I know the truth.

Current cat. Cannot get close enough to you. She acts like a puppy. Hikes through the woods with me. Sprawls out against my back at night. My biological heating pad. My living shawl. I just learned that she likes my chili. That's cool!

(Nice thing about cats is that you can leave them for a weekend, unlike dogs where you have to stop home before you go out.)

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Non-Alcohol Beer.
Bottled Water.

:MandJ: Good ones!

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Decaf Coffee

Had to switch to half caff, or I'm frightenly edgy by noon.

Unassisted
12-18-2004, 05:24 PM
"Seinfeld"
"Friends"
"Everybody Loves Raymond" (I don't)
blogging
eschewing fluoridation
habaņero pepper products
not signaling turns (Good call, folks! :thumbup: )

Honestly, I can't find anything to disagree with in the original list. These just happen to float near the top of my list.

MWM
12-18-2004, 05:42 PM
How someone can NOT like Seinfeld. :RedinDC:

Phoenix
12-18-2004, 05:46 PM
I find that surprising too. Seinfeld is great.

remdog
12-18-2004, 05:57 PM
How someone can NOT like Seinfeld. :RedinDC:

It's easy: have a brain and a sense of humor.

Rem

cincinnati chili
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
granny panties

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 06:15 PM
comb-overs

cincinnati chili
12-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Strangers with Candy

TeamCasey
12-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Strangers with Candy

I kind of like them. ;)

BCubb2003
12-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Baseball stirrups, the neckties of baseball.

Why hackers don't target the spammers, if they want to do something really kewl.

Oddly shaped outfield walls for no physical reason.

Why "loser" is consistently the most misspelled word on the Internet.

An arbitrator who will give a player more money than anyone else will pay him.

Veggie burgers. I get vegetarian, but why smoosh your vegetables into the shape of a hamburger?

GAC
12-18-2004, 08:46 PM
reality TV - what's real about it? The Real Gilligan's Island? And all this time I thought it was just a bad sitcom.

lobster - love fresh seafood. But they give you this little fork, tell you to crack the thing open, and then fight to find any meat. And I'm still hungry after I'm done.

body piercing - and your point is?

tattoos - and your point is?

high profile media coverage of murder trials - OJ, Scott Petterson, Robert Blake. What makes you guys so much better and deserving of such coverage/attention over any other murderer?

atheists - why such a furor over someone who doesn't exist?

Bush is stupid - and where are you at in life that somehow makes you so much more intelligent?

progressive thinkers - progressive in what way? Are the rest of us then regressive thinkers? And all this time I thought my sloping forehead was from sleeping face down.

Marilyn Manson - you've got to be kidding me?

goth - black and pale is such a lively color combination. What do ytou mean I'm not management material??

yoga - My mind will be alot clearer once someone helps me uncross my legs and get out of this position.

teeth whitening - dentists across America want to thank you.

Islamic martyrs - do you actually believe that God has 70 virgins waiting for you on the other side for a suicide bombing of the innocent? Where did these virgins come from?

computer viruses - don't you geeky 16 yr old boys have anything better to do just because you can't get a date, and they haven't found a cure for acne? Why take it out on us?

Falls City Beer
12-18-2004, 08:53 PM
"atheists - why such a furor over someone who doesn't exist?"

Call me the next time an atheist comes to your door at 8:30 on a Saturday morning wearing a white oxford, a black tie, and shiny loafers holding out copies of the Atheist Watchtower :MandJ:

creek14
12-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Arrogance.
And there seems to be plenty of that on this thread.

Simply amazing how people can use a *fun* thread to promote their agenda.

Falls City Beer
12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
And there seems to be plenty of that on this thread.

Simply amazing how people can use a *fun* thread to promote their agenda.

For some contentiousness is fun. It's better than punching somebody's lights out.

I personally don't see much arrogance in it, even when I disagree.

traderumor
12-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Humility is usually in short supply around these parts. Someone has been promoting an agenda on this thread? Must've missed it.

DunnersGrl44
12-18-2004, 11:42 PM
I just don't get it when people talk about anything personal in these threads.
Note to readers, I have no idea whos personal agenda anyone is talking about, but i do know that I am tired of reading about it.
We all can get along, we are all adults here.

TeamCasey
12-19-2004, 06:58 AM
C'mon guys, plenty of other threads to bicker on.

Thought of a new one.

Watering your lawn constantly so you have to mow it constantly.

"Peeps! When it turns brown, you'll have more time for baseball!" :)

RollyInRaleigh
12-19-2004, 08:24 AM
C'mon guys, plenty of other threads to bicker on.

Thought of a new one.

Watering your lawn constantly so you have to mow it constantly.

"Peeps! When it turns brown, you'll have more time for baseball!" :)

Drove out of our neighborhood a couple of times this summer with it raining cats and dogs and some folks had their sprinkler systems on. That really makes sense, doesn't it?

zombie-a-go-go
12-19-2004, 08:47 AM
I get everything. :gac:

RFS62
12-19-2004, 08:49 AM
I get everything. :gac:

Good. Start explaining.

zombie-a-go-go
12-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Good. Start explaining.

Maaan... if I were to do that, I might get beat up.

People might literally track me down and beat me up. ;) :MandJ:

But I will say this - understanding and respecting the positions of others doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

RFS62
12-19-2004, 09:18 AM
But I will say this - understanding and respecting the positions of others doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

You are one smart member of the living dead, who can dance, and stuff.

paintmered
12-19-2004, 10:32 AM
ethnic intolerance

......and the dutch :devil:

RFS62
12-19-2004, 10:33 AM
ethnic intolerance

......and the dutch :devil:

Bwahahahahahahahaha

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

Unassisted
12-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Forgot one...

people who comment on other people's "I just don't get it" lists

RFS62
12-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Forgot one...

What about people who comment on people who comment on other people's lists?

:p:

cincinnati chili
12-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Breast reduction surgery.

paintmered
Forgot one...

or people who comment on other people commenting on their lists? :buttkick:

edit - RFS: that was just scary man

RFS62
Breast reduction surgery.

ding, ding, ding, ding....

we have a winner.

cincinnati chili
12-19-2004, 11:11 AM
ding, ding, ding, ding....

we have a winner.

I couldn't resist. Although as I sit in front of my computer today, suffering from severe back pain, forcing myself to study for final exams, realistically, I can understand some of the women who do this. But we've gotta be talking Triple E territory or something before it should even be considered.

RollyInRaleigh
12-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Maaan... if I were to do that, I might get beat up.

People might literally track me down and beat me up. ;) :MandJ:

Amen, and Amen.
:thumbup:

traderumor
12-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I couldn't resist. Although as I sit in front of my computer today, suffering from severe back pain, forcing myself to study for final exams, realistically, I can understand some of the women who do this. But we've gotta be talking Triple E territory or something before it should even be considered.
They should reallocate, eliminating the need for artificial implants.

I don't get the removable faceplate concept for our cd player that we inherited with the purchase of our used van. We had one stolen when we forgot to remove it and lock the door, which is easy to do, both forgetting to remove and to steal if the owner forgets to remove. A real pain in the back end these things are.

KronoRed
12-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Music I can hear more then 50 feet away

Your music sucks, turn it down :rolleyes:

pedro
12-19-2004, 05:22 PM
putting bacon or ham on hamburgers.

RosieRed
12-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Honking in traffic jams.

TeamCasey
12-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Honking in traffic jams.

Switching lanes in traffic jams.

TeamCasey
12-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Toilet paper or paper towels set up to unroll under the roll.

TRF
12-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Why the most powerful nation on the planet nominated both Bush and Kerry.

People that don't eat meat, but whaer fur or leather.

Why i can't watch a video on MTV

Why hockey players expect to be paid millions for a sport no one watches.

PT Cruisers

Why i watch the Anna Nicole show, and the Howard Stern show. Why?

Why people think Independance Day, Armageddon and the like were good movies.

Why women don't get Monty Python.

just to name a few.

MWM
12-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Nicole Kidman - I have no clue why she is so adored.

CbusRed
12-20-2004, 01:23 AM
murderers and rapists.

CbusRed
12-20-2004, 01:29 AM
also....

I dont get why bands like Good Charlotte get huge and make millions, while artists like Muse and Jeff Buckley go virtually unnoticed.

CbusRed
12-20-2004, 01:33 AM
And another thing,

Telemarketing and email/internet spam

Who the hell actually buys this crap? and show me a person that doesnt get annoyed by it.

DunnersGrl44
12-20-2004, 01:35 AM
I don't get....
Cats
Terrorists
Reality TV
how ham, pork and bacon all come from 1 animal
Scions... what the hell are those things!
Spiders
Arts and Crafts
why if you can put bling on something, you still wouldn't. Bling is awesome
Why I am addicted to Red Zone

CbusRed
12-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Another thing I really dont get is why so many people are making a big stink about saying "merry christmas", Sure, not everyone celebrates christmas, and we should definitley respect other's religions and beliefs, But Im pretty sure respecting other's believes doesnt mean I have to hide my own..

WrongVerb
12-20-2004, 09:41 AM
What people see in George Bush that makes them want to vote for him for President

Popularity of TV Sit-coms

That anti-choice folks don't get the idea that one can believe the idea of abortion is abhorrent, while also believing the idea of legislating against it is just as abhorrent.

Why sex is treated as a morality issue and not a health issue

Why people can't get over Dale Earnhardt. He's dead folks, move on!

GoReds
12-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Laugh tracks - if I think it's funny, I'll laugh; I don't need a primer.

"Experts" - people that feel the need to yell at the top of their lungs over and over why they believe what they believe. If I heard you once, that's enough. If you keep pushing it in my face, you are only going to tick me off, not convince me that you are right.

Full House

Why I can't stop laughing when I see "Bob"

Bad service - I don't understand why I now accept bad service as the "norm".

driving slow in the fast lane

Kobe Bryant

Barry Bonds

Olsen Twins

Christina Aguillera

Why there is no Fry's in the DC area

LINDA FREAKIN' CROPP

RedRoser
12-20-2004, 09:59 AM
"Why people can't get over Dale Earnhardt. He's dead folks, move on!"

Dale is dead? :eek: Oh my. . . :cry: Well, I've still got Elvis.

My short list: (some already mentioned)

1) Reality TV
2) Rap/Hip-Hop
3) Gas Prices w/o a readily available alternative in a high-tech society
4) The Starting Pitcher Famine in the Queen City
5) Why UK doesn't build a larger arena than Rupp so that all us fans who can never find tickets could happily give up our money to attend some games and support the program!
6) the high cost of Health Insurance premiums
7) People who say baseball is a boring game! :dflynn:

---'Roser

RFS62
12-20-2004, 10:05 AM
7) People who say baseball is a boring game! :dflynn:

---'Roser

They are the same as people who say golf is boring. They just don't understand it. Not that that's a bad thing, just a preference. They don't understand it from a players perspective.

Ravenlord
12-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Olsen Twins

steroid users

Pete Rose the man

why no one's attempted to assassinate Selig

partisanship

baseball men

Carl Lindner, John Allen, Dan O'Brien, and Rob Butcher

non-tendering Jimenez, Riedling, and last year of Branyan

rubbernecking

porn

Brittney

Jessica Simpson

Boobgate

FCC

Extreme Left

Extreme Right

Michael Moore

how Trent Reznor is considered genious

how Iced Earth isn't better known...even in the metal world...ditto Savatage

Rap Metal

Limp Bizkit

Abortion isn't homicide, but if you purposly kill a fetus at home, or are attacked and it dies, that is homicide. it needs to be one or the other. eliminate the gray people!

blaming everything on Bush

blaming everything on Clinton

Jenine Garafalo

70% of female comedians for that matter

PC

Microsoft and Metallica (shoving crappy products down our throat, and then sue whenever you try to do anything with it)

Avril

Scott Boras

Milton Bradley

Holiday insanity

Black Friday

Jehova's Witnesses

Mormons

Scientoligists

Toby Keith

why Americans tend to get indignant when they're in another country and can't find English speaking people

cyber-punk genre

l33t wr1t1n9

Tom Goes to the Mayor

Dogs

fear

Roy Tucker
12-20-2004, 10:14 AM
The TV show "Friends" - watched it a few times, seemed mildly pleasant, but just didn't hook me.

Grateful Dead - tried to become a dead head, kept listening thinking there was somethings I was missing because my friends kept extolling the virtues of them, and finally gave up saying "its just not meant to be for me".

Intolerant people - I'm tolerant of about anything withing the boundaries of human decency and have a live and let live policy. I may not agree with you, but I'm not you and I understand people are different. But I don't get people that go thermonuclear with people they don't agree with. Witness this last election. I honestly didn't understand the poisonous attitudes of some people (and I'm not talking about anyone in RedsZone).

bomarl1969
12-20-2004, 10:33 AM
In no particular order...

1. Homosexuality
2. People who don't believe in God
3. Politics
4. People who worship the morning/evening news
5. Basketball-I think it is the most boring sport in the world
6. Country music
7. People who think that Christmas is an offensive word
8. People who can't take a joke
9. Why there are people who are still positive about the Reds orgainzation when there is absolutely nothing to be positive about.
10. Why Marshall and WVU hate each other.

Puffy
12-20-2004, 10:38 AM
What I don't get - sex. I try and try, but I just can't get it. I'm not a bad looking guy, I'm nice, funny, but noooooooo, no sex for me.

RFS62
12-20-2004, 10:41 AM
What I don't get - sex. I try and try, but I just can't get it. I'm not a bad looking guy, I'm nice, funny, but noooooooo, no sex for me.

Puffy, I'll leave you with this famous quote from noted philosopher Steve Martin, from back when he was funny....

"And I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, wholesome and natural things.. that money can buy."

macro
12-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Why people can't get over Dale Earnhardt. He's dead folks, move on!
Keep trying. Perhaps you can find it within you to be even more cold and insensitive.

traderumor
12-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Arena Football

KronoRed
12-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Canadian football

MWM
12-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Canadian Bacon

traderumor
12-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Canadian Baconor, isn't that really just ham?

letsgojunior
12-20-2004, 12:02 PM
An abbreviated list (ie things off the top of my head):

1) Beef of any kind - Whether it be steak, burgers - YUCK!

2) Botox - It's a toxin, it's going near your eye, and you can't register emotion on your face afterwards

3) Hockey

4) Breast augmentation - Nothing looks more disproportionate than 36DD on a 5'5" frame

5) Mayo - How to ruin a sandwich part I

6) The Lord of the Rings books/movies

7) Harry Potter books/movies

8) Reality television

9) Paris Hilton

10) People who drive 55 in the fast lane

11) Intolerant people

12) Arrogant people

13) Processed food

14) Desperate Housewives - I've watched and I don't think it's very good

15) Lobster/Shrimp - Double yuck

16) Tattoos - Hate the look of them on both guys and girls

17) How the English Patient won like 8 Academy Awards

18) Modelizers - IE guys who are obsessed with model type women

19) $20,000 weddings

20) Uggs or Mukluks - I just don't think they look good

21) Outfield seats

22) UNC Basketball

23) St Louis Cardinals

24) Players

25) Baseball boy (refer to "the thread")

26) Coffee

I'll be back later with about 10,000 more.

flyer85
12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Fruit Cakes

Reality TV

Big hair

Teenage girls that dress like hookers

Hollywood

Hunting

Coffee, Tea or Milk

flyer85
12-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Why "loser" is consistently the most misspelled word on the Internet.

By far my biggest pet peeve. Read the definition of "loose" next time before using it.

AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH.

zombie-a-go-go
12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm probably going to be banned for saying this but I don't care (that is how much I loved Dale Earnhardt). Dan, you are an blahblahblah

Congratulations. You were correct.

westofyou
12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Teenage girls that dress like hookers

Pros-ti-tots

MWM
12-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Nascar in general. I've wathced it plenty to try to get what all the fuss is about and I just can't understand it.

I also have tried really hard to like Hockey, but just can't. But with Hockey I can watch and understand why people love the sport. With Nascar, it leaves me scratching my head.

letsgojunior
12-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Why is it such a foreign concept to some people that they don't ALWAYS have to be in charge, especially when they are guests in someone else's home?

Sounds like the mother-in-law is acting up again:lol:

flyer85
12-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Pros-ti-tots

I guess it would be funny if it were not so sad. In todays society 13 year old girls have gotten the message that they are nothing more than sex objects and the best way to attract male attention is by showing off their "assets".
:confused:

westofyou
12-20-2004, 12:16 PM
I guess it would be funny if it were not so sad. In todays society 13 year old girls have gotten the message that they are nothing more than sex objects and the best way to attract male attention is by showing off their "assets".
:confused:

Ironic how the most blatent role models for this have come out of the Disney Organization.

MWM
12-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Ironic how the most blatent role models for this have come out of the Disney Organization.

:RedinDC:

So true. Isn't that new show "Life As We Know It" a Disney show. That show is about as irresponsible as it gets, IMO.

Cedric
12-20-2004, 12:22 PM
I don't get why marijuana is illegal. And no i'm not Ricky Williams.

westofyou
12-20-2004, 12:28 PM
I don't get why marijuana is illegal. And no i'm not Ricky Williams.

Dow Chemical and William Randolph Hearst send their best. ;)

traderumor
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Ricky Williams

WrongVerb
12-20-2004, 12:41 PM

I don't get people who make general statements without evidence, or use other illogical fallacies that promote their viewpoint.

zombie-a-go-go
12-20-2004, 12:49 PM
I don't get how people think using this thread as a weapon to make snide comments about other posters won't get it locked.

Play nice, or I'll put the toys away.

westofyou
12-20-2004, 12:51 PM
I don't get people who make general statements without evidence, or use other illogical fallacies that promote their viewpoint.

Both Britney and Christina got their start on Disney's "Mickey Mouse Club", Justin Timberlake too.

How's that?

Super_Barry11
12-20-2004, 12:58 PM
I just don't get:

1) Baseball boy

2) Why I keep Baseball boy's rookie card propped up right by my computer screen :dflynn:

3) Lord of the Rings- no matter how many times my ex-boyfriend insisted I watch those movies, I STILL hated them (the hatred increased exponentially with each movie viewed)

4) Chicago Cubs and their fans

5) Bananas- yuck!

6) Orlando Bloom

7) Leonardo DiCaprio

8) Omar Vizquel- never gonna get over despising that man, no matter what team he plays for

9) My parents- I'm scared to death to get married now

10) Mean people- like the lady in the airport yesterday who bit my head off and cussed at me when I stopped to check the flight departures on the monitor (it's not like I intentionally stepped in her path and I apologized right away, geez!)

remdog
12-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Hey 62!

Like your avitar. Believe it or not, my last boss looked exactly like Mr. Incredible. A weight lifter that was damned by an imense gut. If you ever met the guy you would think that the producers of the movie used him as the model for the cartoon character.

Cracks me up everytime I see a picture of Mr. Incredible. :MandJ: The good part is that 'Mike' has his Halloween costume nailed for the next ten years.

Rem

RFS62
12-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey 62!

Like your avitar. Believe it or not, my last boss looked exactly like Mr. Incredible. A weight lifter that was damned by an imense gut. If you ever met the guy you would think that the producers of the movie used him as the model for the cartoon character.

Cracks me up everytime I see a picture of Mr. Incredible. :MandJ: The good part is that 'Mike' has his Halloween costume nailed for the next ten years.

Rem

Hot diggity damn!!!!

I hadn't even thought of that!!

I've GOT to get myself a Mr. Incredible costume. I'll wear it around the house all year!!!!

remdog
12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
CbusReds' avitar. Not only does it look like the guy is doing something obscene, it's really annoying.

Rem

Larkin Fan
12-20-2004, 01:16 PM
They are the same as people who say golf is boring. They just don't understand it. Not that that's a bad thing, just a preference. They don't understand it from a players perspective.

Hey now, I think golf is boring, but I don't think baseball is.

Of course, since I'm going to be a doctor, I'm going to need you to teach me the finer points of a necessary tool for my career. ;)

remdog
12-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Keep trying. Perhaps you can find it within you to be even more cold and insensitive.

Have to agree with Dan. In fact, I never 'got' Dale Earnhardt when he was alive!

Rem

remdog
12-20-2004, 01:21 PM
By far my biggest pet peeve. Read the definition of "loose" next time before using it.

AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH.

Actually, it seems to me that the most mis-spelled word on the internet is noone (no one) which is actually two words.

Rem

remdog
12-20-2004, 01:25 PM
I don't get how people think using this thread as a weapon to make snide comments about other posters won't get it locked.

Play nice, or I'll put the toys away.

I don't get how Zombie-a-go-go became a moderator.

Rem

Danny Serafini
12-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Beer - it's just a beverage, I don't get the obsession some people have.

Golf - another obsession I don't get. The only fun part is driving the cart.

Harley-Davidson - they're just big and noisy. You're paying for name, not performance. So many Japanese bikes would kill a Harley.

Tom Brady - why does the sports media insist on making this guy a star? He doesn't make mistakes and puts up decent numbers, but really he's ridden the coattails of a great defense and coaching staff. The guy has a hard time just making the Pro Bowl, but announcers keep telling you he's the next Joe Montana. Looks more like the next Trent Dilfer to me.

Angelina Jolie - I'm sorry, she just doesn't have it.

Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/etc. - just don't get it, that's all.

People who won't learn other people's names - I'm not calling this forum out in particular because I see it everywhere. But every time I see something like Jimminez or Van Popple it makes me cringe. It's just a simple respect thing to get someone's name right.

flyer85
12-20-2004, 01:29 PM
People who won't learn other people's names - I'm not calling this forum out in particular because I see it everywhere. But every time I see something like Jimminez or Van Popple it makes me cringe. It's just a simple respect thing to get someone's name right.

Thanks, Donny. I will try to remembet that. :p:

traderumor
12-20-2004, 01:29 PM
locking sound

zombie-a-go-go
12-20-2004, 01:34 PM

Rem

Neither do I. :MandJ:

Unassisted
12-20-2004, 01:41 PM
The longer this thread continues, the more I liken posting in it to rolling a grenade into the thread and inviting others to pull the pin.

Danny Serafini
12-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks, Donny. I will try to remembet that. :p:

Thanks a lot flier! ;)

Larkin Fan
12-20-2004, 01:48 PM

Rem

Seems to me like he's doing a good job, Rem.

MWM
12-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Why people still die from drunk driving.

flyer85
12-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks a lot flier! ;)

[Flyer stops off and leaves thread in a faux temper tantrum]

Falls City Beer
12-20-2004, 01:58 PM
why people don't think poop jokes are funny. :allovrjr:

WrongVerb
12-20-2004, 02:00 PM

Me either! :gac:

*promises to play nice*

flyer85
why people don't think poop jokes are funny. :allovrjr:

Who thinks poop jokes aren't funny?

Falls City Beer

WAAAAYYY too many people.

WrongVerb
12-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Actually, it seems to me that the most mis-spelled word on the internet is noone (no one) which is actually two words.

Rem

Nah, I think it's there/their/they're.

One related one I don't get:

wen sum1 b talkin wif u online n dey use dis way 2 rite

WrongVerb
12-20-2004, 02:03 PM
*poops right in the middle of this thread*

Rojo
1) Wes Anderson movies. Juvenile and boring, yet the scarf-wearing, video-store types love 'em. Don't get it.

2) Kevin Smith movies. (see above)

3) Jam Bands. I kinda wish I did get it, but I don't

4) Bush - not trying to be political here. I "got" Reagan in that I understood, to a degree, the appeal even as I hated his administration. But, I've never wanted to have a beer with this President.

5) Meg Ryan - a face like a muppet and your mom's bad perm.

6) The short-sleeve t-shirt over long-sleeve t-shirt look. Does the short-sleeve one make you toasty warm?

7) Jack Black - fat doesn't always equal funny.

8) Jimmy Fallon - He's good-looking and a good mimic. But funny? No.

9) And to pile on, NASCAR and auto racing in general. IMO, sports should be a break from technology.

Falls City Beer
Nah, I think it's there/their/they're.

One related one I don't get:

wen some1 b talkin 2 u n dey use dis way 2 talk

Er, that's chat room stuff--where dem preverts hang out :luvu:

WrongVerb
12-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Er, that's chat room stuff--where dem preverts hang out :luvu:

Of course it's where we perve...*ahem*...dem perverts hang out. *glances around quietly*

flyer85
12-20-2004, 02:08 PM
9) And to pile on, NASCAR and auto racing in general. IMO, sports should be a break from technology.

This gives me an idea .

Need to start a

"If .... , then you might not be a redneck" thread.

First one
[Jeff Foxworthy voice]
"If you have never heard of Dale Earnhardt, you might not be a redneck"
[\Jeff Foxworthy voice]

BTW, I don't mind NASCAR racing. Although I root for Jeff Gordon.
[Ducks and runs for cover]

Raisor
12-20-2004, 02:30 PM
1) Wes Anderson movies. Juvenile and boring, yet the scarf-wearing, video-store types love 'em. Don't get it.

2) Kevin Smith movies. (see above)

I don't even OWN a scarf!

zombie-a-go-go
12-20-2004, 02:42 PM

I don't even OWN a scarf!

I do.

*skulks away*

cumberlandreds
12-20-2004, 03:01 PM

People who think their poop doesn't smell. :allovrjr:

remdog
12-20-2004, 03:17 PM

Good answer. You get points with me for that. (Not that it matters.... :MandJ: )

Rem

CbusRed
12-20-2004, 03:19 PM
CbusReds' avitar. Not only does it look like the guy is doing something obscene, it's really annoying.

Rem
I don't get people that say one of the things they dont get is mis-spelling words, yet can't even spell the word "avatar"...

;)

Rem, you are the most corrupt internet grammar policeman ever.

remdog
12-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanx. I'll speak to my 'editar' about that. Now, back to that obnoxious 'avatar'....is that a picture of you having fun with yourself? ;)

BTW, I wasn't policing spelling there....I'll leave that to you.

Rem

westofyou
12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
It's Steve Balmer, head cheerleader at Microsoft.

remdog
12-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Still looks like CbusRed to me.... :MandJ:

Rem

CougarQuest
12-20-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm sure, without reading all the posts, that everyone is joking around having fun in this thread.

Falls City Beer
12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
"1) Wes Anderson movies. Juvenile and boring, yet the scarf-wearing, video-store types love 'em. Don't get it."

Nobody's kidding.

He and David Lynch should go run and jump in a Pretentious Lake.

Gimme Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson in Stroker Ace.

MWM
12-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Will Farrell. Seriously! I've racked my brain to figure out why people love this guy.

Super_Barry11
12-20-2004, 05:03 PM
I just don't get how people who have known me for YEARS still spell my name Kristen. It's like they've never heard of the name Kristin. Very aggravating. Especially when they write out a check to Kristen, and I have to sign it that way to cash it. What is so difficult about my name anyway?? My own FATHER spelled AND pronounced it "Christine" until I was about a year old!!! :confused:

macro
12-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Have to agree with Dan. In fact, I never 'got' Dale Earnhardt when he was alive!

Rem
Hey, I have no problem with someone saying they don't get the Earnhardt thing. It was Dan's "He's dead folks, move on!" add-on that offended, and not because I'm an Earnhardt worshipper. When he was racing, I was not a fan of his at all. But after his death, and after researching and talking to people about his life, I became a big admirer of the man for what he went through and what he became. The similarities between his life and Pete Rose's life are both striking and remarkable, and we all know how Pete was revered in this town and among Reds fans everywhere, at least before the gambling mess started.

I think part of what keeps the Earnhardt mystique alive (in addition to his being one of the two greatest at his "sport" ever) is the circumstances under which he died. An appropriate analogy that might bring it home for Reds fans would be for Pete Rose to have been rounding third in the bottom of the ninth of Game 7 of the World Series and suddenly collapse and die on the basepath, while millions watched. That's pretty much what happened at the Daytona 500 that February day in 2001.

I really didn't mean to get into all this in this thread (of all places), but I guess my button was pressed.

Some don't "get" Earnhardt, just as some don't get Rose, Mantle, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, or The Beatles. For every icon, there will be a large percentage of the population that won't give them a second thought, in life or in death. That makes them no less significant to those who understand their place in American pop culture history.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled fun. :)

ODERED
12-21-2004, 02:50 AM
Some things I don't get:

* Super-unleaded gas (does that make it more healthy?)

* Winter storms in Kentucky are 1+", in Massachusetts anything less than 2-3" is just "a few snow showers"

* why the guy that put the new doors on our trailer, made it so that the door at the front of the door opens out. what do I live in, a rectangular outhouse?

* commercials that say "don't try all those drugs, they're unhealthy, try our pill!"

* reality shows, when they're scripted and there is a camera following a person who is going to open a door from which behind stands another person that is being followed by a cameraman.

* people who post about their confusion over something, and instead of asking a question they SAY something, and end it as a really big question: (as an example): i'm having trouble installing this and don't know what to do???
well, are you having trouble installing?

ODERED
12-21-2004, 02:59 AM
I just don't get how people who have known me for YEARS still spell my name Kristen. It's like they've never heard of the name Kristin. Very aggravating. Especially when they write out a check to Kristen, and I have to sign it that way to cash it. What is so difficult about my name anyway?? My own FATHER spelled AND pronounced it "Christine" until I was about a year old!!! :confused:

I hear ya, Kristin! My wife and I are perplexed at how no one, NO ONE, can seem to understand OR spell our last name: whalen

They ask "whaden"? "How do you spell that, w-a-y-l-e-n?" "Is that w-h-a-l-u-n?" At first I thought it was me, since I'm such a soft-spoken person, but I've seen it with my own two ears (LOL!) when she gets treated the same way. It really is amazing how poorly so many people spell, and how they can't even seem to spell it SORT of correctly
:D

SunDeck
12-22-2004, 10:39 AM
I agree with you on everything on your list. Especially Dave Matthews band. But I am gonna have to somewhat disagree with the Outfield Seats, As a female, I enjoy the seating simply because they are close to the relief pitchers and some of them are nice to look at.
Yeah, my wife likes the view from there, too. Especially Dunn...

Ditto on the list, too. I'll add:

John Maher- liked that first song, but I'm getting tired of the breathy voice.

Bill O'Reilly- It's not his opinions that bother me, it's that he thinks he's smarter than his audience...and everyone else for that matter. If he had broken in with anything other than Inside Edition, maybe I'd give him some credit.

Supersize, All you Can Eat, Endless Breadsticks- Hey, here's an idea- how about a well prepared, tasty, normal sized meal?

Garage Sales- Although the fact that other peoples' detritus floating around from household to household at least means it's not in a landfill, what is up with these people who prowl my neighborhood at 7am on Saturdays? Is their time worth nothing?

Cellphones- The last thing I want is for someone to call me when I'm walking in a park.

Falls City Beer
12-23-2004, 09:17 PM
Big shout-out to the non-fans of Lord of the Rings.

To quote Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds: "NEEEEEEEERRRRRRDDDS!!!!!"

Rojo
12-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Big shout-out to the non-fans of Lord of the Rings.

Word.

However, I do like the Matrix movies. What does that make me?

MWM
12-23-2004, 10:52 PM
However, I do like the Matrix movies. What does that make me?

Someone who enjoys HORRIBLE acting! :RedinDC:

Cedric
12-23-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't get people that tell me i'm a fool for eating right lol. You would be absolutely shocked at the amount of people at work who get pissy because I never, ever eat fat foods. I work with a guy that get's Wendy's everyday, how anyone can eat that is beyond me haha. I think they use foil because the grease would tear through the paper :)

CougarQuest
12-24-2004, 12:35 AM
I don't get: "a good cry"

Super_Barry11
12-24-2004, 03:44 AM
I don't get people that tell me i'm a fool for eating right lol. You would be absolutely shocked at the amount of people at work who get pissy because I never, ever eat fat foods. I work with a guy that get's Wendy's everyday, how anyone can eat that is beyond me haha. I think they use foil because the grease would tear through the paper :)

So what kind of car is your body and why kind of fuel do you fill it up with, if not Wendy's??? ;)

GAC
12-24-2004, 04:09 AM
"atheists - why such a furor over someone who doesn't exist?"

Call me the next time an atheist comes to your door at 8:30 on a Saturday morning wearing a white oxford, a black tie, and shiny loafers holding out copies of the Atheist Watchtower :MandJ:

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

The former owners of my house were Jehovah Witnesses. And all this time, I thought the reason they kept coming back was because they missed the house they lived in for 25 years. :allovrjr:

GAC
12-24-2004, 04:49 AM
I don't get: "a good cry"

I can't believe I'm hearing that from a Reds and Bengals fan. If anyone is more deserving. :allovrjr:

I ALSO don't get....

parachutists - why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplaine?

bungy cord jumping - nothing like strapping a huge rubber band around your ankle and jumping headfirst over the Snake River. :eek:

KronoRed
12-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Arrogance on the internet

Why oh WHY do people engage in that? you're a name on a screen, grow up ;)

Raisor
12-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Someone who enjoys HORRIBLE acting! :RedinDC:

"whoa"

I wonder if "whoa" is actually in any of Keanu"s scripts?

Rojo
12-29-2004, 09:20 PM
parachutists - why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplaine?

I did it once. Terrifying and exhilerating.

Someone who enjoys HORRIBLE acting!

What acting? Keanu and company mostly pose for the shots. I'm not going to defend it but I found the movies hypnotic.

LOTR, OTOH, WTF.

MWM
12-29-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm not going to defend it but I found the movies hypnotic.

No need to defend it. I was obviusly joking. Heck, I liked the first two, but didn't see the third.

The only person needing to "defend" the use of Keanu Reeves in a movie is Kenneth Branagh for using him in a Shakespeare movie. Now THAT was indefensible.

gonelong
12-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Hunting and fishing: Yes, growing up as a country boy, I tried both. I got into the fishing thing for a time, but never became addicted as some of my friends did. I always thought there was too thin a line between fishing and just sitting in a boat looking stupid. :D

Spread the word, it leaves more spots for me to drop a line in peace. Fishing is no different than baseball. Handed down from Dads to sons, a nice way to spend a day, and something that can be enjoyed by everyone from 3 to 83.

I always say that if you need to catch fish to have a good day of fishing, you're not doing it right.

I don't get greed. You don't get to take it with you, get what you need and enjoy the rest of your life.

GL