PDA

View Full Version : Trailer: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

RBA
12-25-2004, 03:08 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808403419&cf=trailer

I'm sure everyone has seen the Gene Wilder classic.

Discuss.....

pedro
12-25-2004, 03:20 PM
It's creepy. Unassisted and I were talking about it and we think that Johnny Depp looks a lot like Isabella Rossellini in the trailer.

RBA
12-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Depp reminded me a little of Micheal Jackson. And Jackson and kids don't mix.

pedro
12-25-2004, 03:42 PM
The music in teh trailer made me want to wretch.

Unassisted
12-25-2004, 05:23 PM
The music in teh trailer made me want to wretch.I didn't like it either, but my kids did. I guess that means we're not in the target demographic, pedro. ;)

missionhockey21
12-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Knowing it's Burton and Johnny Depp... I really wanted to enjoy the trailer but I just couldnt.

Felt just too strange and that music was irritating as hell.

Yachtzee
12-25-2004, 10:29 PM
It was a bit weird to me as well. The music was somewhat reminiscent of the "Silver Shamrock" jingle from "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch." I was torn between whether I was watching a trailer for some cheesy horror film or a U2 video where someone dubbed it over as a joke.

Does this one have the support of the Dahl estate?

traderumor
12-26-2004, 04:47 PM
http://valdefierro.com/ilc44f.jpg

HATED IT!!!!

KronoRed
12-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Depp is cool :D

So I'll see it

RFS62
12-27-2004, 07:39 AM
Knowing it's Burton and Johnny Depp... I really wanted to enjoy the trailer but I just couldnt.

Felt just too strange and that music was irritating as hell.

My thoughts exactly.

RedFanAlways1966
12-27-2004, 08:39 AM
I think it is is ridiculous to remake any movie. Good to see that the Hollywood types cannot write any new movies. Or is it just too easy to rip off the public with a remake of a movie? The Longest Yard and this. UGH! The only good remake I ever saw was Cape Fear.... and that was only b/c I had never seen the original.

Depp looks like a freak in this movie. My kid wouldn't visit his factory if he was the only candy-maker on earth! He looks like a crossbreed between Michael Jackson, Mick Jagger and MaCauley Caulkin... and that is not a good thing.

There is no substitute for the original. And I'll go on the record with that statement without even seeing the remake. Both of my thumbs are down for this remake. :thumbdown :thumbdown

RFS62
12-27-2004, 08:44 AM
I don't really have any problem with remakes. It's all art, and subject to the eye of the beholder.

If it's good, it's good.

This one looks mega-creepy.

Maybe that's what they're going for.

Red Leader
12-27-2004, 09:02 AM
That was soooooo Cat in the Hat. Leave it the original alone, no need to remake it.

Michael Allred
12-27-2004, 02:08 PM
I always thought that if a movie (like the Gene Wilder original) was based on a book then any future versions of the story would NOT be a remake of the movie but a new look at the original source material and from what I understand, "Charlie" will be far more faithful to the story than the first film, much like John Carpenter's "The Thing."

Redsfaithful
12-27-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't really have any problem with remakes. It's all art, and subject to the eye of the beholder.

If it's good, it's good.

This one looks mega-creepy.

Maybe that's what they're going for.

It should be creepy. I've always thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had an incredibly dark side to it, and I also always thought it was a bit odd that it was viewed as a children's movie.

I think this is going to be good, but I think there are going to be a lot of people who liked the original who won't like the new version.

LvJ
05-27-2005, 09:30 AM
New trailer is up: http://movies.channel.aol.com/franchise/exclusives/charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_movie

:dancingco

Johnny Footstool
05-27-2005, 09:47 AM
It should be creepy. I've always thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had an incredibly dark side to it, and I also always thought it was a bit odd that it was viewed as a children's movie.

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing
Is it raining? Is it snowing?
Is a hurricane a-blowing?

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of hell a-glowing?
Is the grisly reaper mowing?
Yes, the danger must be growing
'Cause the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!

savafan
05-27-2005, 10:20 AM
I always thought that if a movie (like the Gene Wilder original) was based on a book then any future versions of the story would NOT be a remake of the movie but a new look at the original source material and from what I understand, "Charlie" will be far more faithful to the story than the first film, much like John Carpenter's "The Thing."

Agree 100% Michael. As a fan of the book, this definately looks like it follows it more closely.

As for Hollywood's original ideas, almost all of our current horror movies are remakes of far superior Japanese films.

KronoRed
05-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks LVJ :)

Unassisted
05-27-2005, 06:19 PM
I like this trailer better than the first one. Thanks for sharing. :)

CrackerJack
05-27-2005, 07:38 PM

Agreed. "And I don't have a big problem with remakes that are done well and use technology their benefit. Not that they should be done ad nauseum or only for profit.

I am very much looking forward to Peter Jackson's King Kong for instance - it's a remake of the 30's version - which is probably my all-time favorite movie since I was little. It'll just be a neat way of re-living the story and experience all over again instead of just watching the same film til the end of time. Ecspecially because Jackson's an up and coming, talented director with an appreciation for film on the level of Spielburg and Scorsese etc..., so I can dig that. It'll be fun to see.

TeamCasey
05-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Certain movies should never be remade.

Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, The Godfather(s), Braveheart ...... no touchie.

tommycatluvsme
05-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Trailer looks strange.

RBA
07-14-2005, 10:49 PM
The movie starts tomorrow. Seems to be getting pretty good reviews.

TeamCasey
07-15-2005, 07:10 AM
I hate Johnny Depp in this and I've only seen the trailers!

Gene Wilder had a smart, sarcastic wit ...... Johnny's just creepy, Man!

WVRed
07-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Depp reminded me a little of Micheal Jackson. And Jackson and kids don't mix.

http://www.traposcoloridos.blogger.com.br/Willie%20Wonka.jpg

http://www.orwelliantimes.com/graphics/michael_jackson.jpg

Thats what I thought last week when I saw the previews during Fantastic Four.

Blimpie
07-15-2005, 10:42 AM
It was a bit weird to me as well. The music was somewhat reminiscent of the "Silver Shamrock" jingle from "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch." I was torn between whether I was watching a trailer for some cheesy horror film or a U2 video where someone dubbed it over as a joke.

Does this one have the support of the Dahl estate?OMG...I thought I was the only person alive that still had that song emblazened into their subconscious:

"Onk-Unk-Onk-Unk-Onk-Unk...Three more-a days 'til Halloween...Sil-vuuuuuuur Shamrock!"

:yikes: :runaway: :yikes: :runaway: :yikes: :runaway:

KronoRed
07-15-2005, 12:42 PM
I hate Johnny Depp in this and I've only seen the trailers!

Gene Wilder had a smart, sarcastic wit ...... Johnny's just creepy, Man!

The guy in the book WAS creepy ;)

Unassisted
07-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Depp reminded me a little of Micheal Jackson. And Jackson and kids don't mix.RBA, you zeroed in on Roger Ebert's main objection to the film, but you called it 6 months ago. :thumbup:

Ebert refers to Depp's characterization of Willy Wonka as a combination of MJ and Carol Burnett.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050714/REVIEWS/50628001

CrackerJack
07-15-2005, 01:45 PM
The real problem is that Depp looks too young for Willy Wonka in this movie - everything else about it looks like a fun movie to see - and I'll see it - but I always thought Willy Wonka was supposed to be an older, tired man ready to hand over his business to the most deserving child after years and years of work.

Depp looks like a teenager in this - and his character comes off as contrived and forced - it's a distraction.

Whatever with the Michael Jackson parallels - that's a stretch - but Depp just doesn't fit the part and it was a poor casting decision by Burton or whomever.

Hope to catch it soon though as it does look like a well done remake with some different twists so as not to be too predictable.

Red Leader
07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Who plays Grandpa Joe.....MacCauley Culkin?

dman
07-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Saw the movie tonight. I, along with everybody else, thought it looked kinda' creepy. It was a very enjoyable movie, and once again, depp nails his role. With some subtle changes, the movie went along with the original Gene Wilder version, except this one focused more on Charlie. I would recommend this movie, and give it a :thumbup: BTW, Johnny Depp had his own share of wit in the movie.

Redsfaithful
07-16-2005, 12:40 AM
I hated it. Wanted to love it, and just couldn't. The songs were terrible, the Oompa Loompas were terrible. I understand why Depp went the direction he went, but I just didn't like it.

Gene Wilder was cocky as Willy Wonka. The storyline in this one just didn't allow for that cockiness, which is a shame.

I'm really surprised at how much I didn't like this movie. I totally went in thinking I'd love it.

Unassisted
07-17-2005, 12:00 AM
On another subject, here's the answer to the question, "Whatever happened to the kid who played Charlie in the original film?"

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov00/s110100g.asp

KYRedsFan
07-17-2005, 12:20 AM
OMG...I thought I was the only person alive that still had that song emblazened into their subconscious:

"Onk-Unk-Onk-Unk-Onk-Unk...Three more-a days 'til Halloween...Sil-vuuuuuuur Shamrock!"

:yikes: :runaway: :yikes: :runaway: :yikes: :runaway:

Probably the worst 90 minutes of my life. This jingle is high comedy for me and my wife now. Those friggin masks.

Unassisted
07-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Saw this last night. I was planning to let the rest of the family see Charlie, while I would go to some other screen in the multiplex, but I couldn't find anything else I wanted to see. Have to admit it exceeded my expectations overall. Depp was creepy and Michael Jackson-esque, but it worked.

Biggest surprise was that I liked this version of Oompa-Loompas much better than the original, which just seemed menacing when I was a kid. Maybe I should refer to them in singular, since they were all played by the same actor. The Oompa-Loompa songs were quite funny, too - especially the Nut Room song!

Cedric
07-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Godo movie I thought. Depp was creepy because Wonka should be creepy, read the book.