PDA

View Full Version : PETA's at it again

jmcclain19
12-31-2004, 05:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=1956331

Sorry, but I have no respect for a group who compares the slaughter of animals to the Holocaust.

Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. -- An animal rights group wants Southern University to refrain from replacing the jaguar mascot that died Sunday from symptoms related to old age.

But Southern's chancellor said the university is likely to get a new cat and raise money for a habitat much larger than the previous mascot's 418-square-foot cage on the Baton Rouge campus.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, a Norfolk, Va., group critical of schools that keep big cats as mascots, says Southern should end its three-decade-old practice of keeping a pet jaguar. It says the animal is too confined, suffers from lack of interaction with other jaguars and would pose a danger to humans if it escapes.

Amy Rhodes, PETA's animals-in-entertainment supervisor, said her group will encourage Southern to stop the live-animal tradition in favor of relying on a human-costumed mascot, which is the practice of most universities and all National Football League teams.

"Fortunately, it really is a dying tradition," Rhodes said of using live animals as mascots.

The 200-pound animal, called Lacumba, was healthy throughout her life and well-cared for by the university, said her veterinarian, Gordon Pirie. A diagnostic lab at Louisiana State University's veterinary school analyzed the dead animal and found that she died of kidney failure at age 15, generally considered the beginning of old age for a jaguar, Pirie said.

Asked whether he thinks Southern should acquire a new jaguar, Pirie said, "I've been asked that question a thousand times, and I would rather not comment on it."

Chancellor Edward Jackson told The Advocate of Baton Rouge that fans loved the jaguar and that he would be discussing the topic of a future mascot with the university's board of supervisors and alumni. The school is raising money for a Lacumba memorial and probably will decide to build a bigger habitat at a cost of at least $500,000, he said.

Rhodes said PETA also opposes LSU keeping its Mike the Tiger mascot, who will be furnished with a larger $2.9 million habitat this summer. Tigers and jaguars "are not props to be used in a pathetic attempt to rile up fans," she said.

"While we are happy that plans have been made to give Mike a bigger enclosure, this does nothing to ensure us that Mike will have the life he deserves," Rhodes said. "We urge LSU to retire Mike to a legitimate sanctuary, where he can live out the remainder of his life free from the stress of public display and unnatural living conditions."

Mike's supporters say his new facility will benefit the animal, supplement LSU's veterinary program and provide an opportunity to educate the public about an endangered species.

PETA has been critical of other college mascots, including the University of Memphis' 500-pound Bengal tiger TOM II, the University of North Alabama's lions, Leo and Una, and Baylor University's bears.

WVRed
12-31-2004, 06:10 PM
If only the eco-terrorists cared about people as well.:(

Ah who am I kidding?

MURDERER!!!! *slings a bucket full of cow blood across the room*

traderumor
12-31-2004, 07:28 PM
I miss the Bengal Tiger the used to be at Bengals' home games. PETA also has apparently convinced McDonalds to change its ways also, apparently going to kill chickens using an inert gas, i guess rather than chopping their heads off.

I always thought dead is dead :confused:

remdog
12-31-2004, 07:30 PM
I'd give them more credit if they showed as much compassion for the mascot at UC Santa Cruz! :p:

Rem

westofyou
12-31-2004, 07:32 PM
I'd give them more credit if they showed as much compassion for the mascot at UC Santa Cruz! :p:

Rem

You ever step on one of those when you aren't wearing shoes?

The horror....

remdog
12-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Somehow I knew you'd empathize, WOY! :MandJ:

Rem

Crumbley
12-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Those crazies mailed me a DVD. A true four star affair. They showed numerous shots of pigs getting their brains caved in with cinder blocks. Then had beautiful famous people tell me I'm wrong for eating meat. Comedy Gold~

Spring~Fields
12-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Any body ask the jaguar family what they want?

Wouldn't the cat be better off in his or her native lands?

Sounds like a form of slavery to me, in this case it is a jaguar and not human.

Redsfaithful
01-01-2005, 07:02 AM
They're over the top, but they've got a point here. There's really no point in having live mascots, in my opinion anyway.

It's a shame PETA doesn't do a better marketing job, because animal rights is a legitimate cause. There are a lot of inhumane things that go on that a watchdog group could help with, but I think they shoot themselves in the foot more often than not.

WVRed
01-01-2005, 07:54 AM
It's a shame PETA doesn't do a better marketing job, because animal rights is a legitimate cause. There are a lot of inhumane things that go on that a watchdog group could help with, but I think they shoot themselves in the foot more often than not.

Heres one humane way to kill a turkey.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/414/414_turkey_flick.gif

traderumor
01-01-2005, 08:55 AM
They're over the top, but they've got a point here. There's really no point in having live mascots, in my opinion anyway.

It's entertainment and no one is hurt, including the animal in most cases. I can't remember seeing any scarred mascots on Oprah, anyways. In the Bengals case, they simply brought the thing in from the zoo for the game, which I know is another animal rights story altogether.

PETA is extreme, that is why they aren't taken seriously. They equate at best, or elevate animals at worst, over human life, which most recognize as a misguided heirarchy.

westofyou
01-01-2005, 11:09 AM
It's entertainment and no one is hurt, including the animal in most cases.

Yeah a caged undomesticated animal on a sideline in a stadium full of 90 thousand screaming people is really entertaining.

As for no one being hurt, when you take the time to ask the animal let me know.

RBA
01-01-2005, 12:19 PM
My dog hid and coward in the house last night as fireworks were going off celebrating New Years. I can't imagine her reaction if she was in front of 50,000 fans with all sorts of noise makers. It would probably kill her with fright.

But, if the animal is use to it and it's not stressful to it, I don't see a problem with it. I would assume the zoo experts know what's best.

traderumor
01-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Yeah a caged undomesticated animal on a sideline in a stadium full of 90 thousand screaming people is really entertaining.

As for no one being hurt, when you take the time to ask the animal let me know.

Some would say the same about the game between the humans as well. Different strokes...and much ado about nothing.

Plus, I'll have to do some reading, I guess
http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2004/2004-01/13-animaltalk-inside.jpg

jmcclain19
01-01-2005, 01:22 PM

I agree fully. There are truck loads of issues, especially in regard to circus and zoo treatment around the country and the world.

I think a good comparison is with the environmental lobby. The Sierra Club has done some great things over the years in the field of conservation, yet idiots like the ELF and other ecoterrorism groups taints the work they do.

westofyou
01-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Some would say the same about the game between the humans as well. Different strokes...and much ado about nothing.

Plus, I'll have to do some reading, I guess
http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2004/2004-01/13-animaltalk-inside.jpg

If you have any questions let me know, my wife has talked to apes before she has many animal stories that are not your usual "come and get a treat"

traderumor
01-01-2005, 03:15 PM
If you have any questions let me know, my wife has talked to apes before she has many animal stories that are not your usual "come and get a treat"I don't doubt she has, but it would certainly be difficult, if not impossible, to verify that communication was at the level of conversation, especially at the level of an animal communicating their emotions to the level of "it really sucks being stuck here in this cage with all these people watching me pace back and forth," which was the original point. Heck, many can communicate more than "come and get a treat" with a dog with little or no formal training. But when it comes to asking an animal how it feels...

RBA
01-01-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty sure they can put sensors like heart monitors and such to see how the crowd is effecting the animal. That's one way of communication, not everything has to be verbal.

TeamCasey
01-01-2005, 08:14 PM
If you have any questions let me know, my wife has talked to apes before she has many animal stories that are not your usual "come and get a treat"

You've intrigued me. I almost went into primatology. It was one of my minors. I worked with rhesus and pig-tailed macaques for a couple years after college. I worked with a baboons once too. They were pretty intimidating. PM me if you care to share anymore.

TeamCasey
01-01-2005, 08:21 PM
My 2 cents -

I hate PETA.

I also hate seeing animals used in this manner.

I hate seeing horse driven carraiges on city streets.

I hate seeing dogs tied to doghouses that aren't ever allowed inside.

I'm not a vegetarian.

I think animal testing is necessary for pharmaceuticals, but I think we have enough shampoo on the shelves.

We all draw our own lines.

westofyou
01-01-2005, 09:11 PM
You've intrigued me. I almost went into primatology. It was one of my minors. I worked with rhesus and pig-tailed macaques for a couple years after college. I worked with a baboons once too. They were pretty intimidating. PM me if you care to share anymore.

My wife used to work with Kokjo the sign language ape, because of this we had some cool back channel experiences with language studies with dolphins and chimps.

Stuff that goes beyond pavol and drool and stuff that's not as crazy as Congo or the book Ishmal.

traderumor
01-01-2005, 10:09 PM
I hate seeing dogs tied to doghouses that aren't ever allowed inside.I could put that in the "things I don't get thread" myself. I know some do this with hunting dogs, but as the so called "family pet," just pointless selfishness.

Red Heeler
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I could put that in the "things I don't get thread" myself. I know some do this with hunting dogs, but as the so called "family pet," just pointless selfishness.

There is a movement here in Knoxville to make it illegal to keep dogs tied. Dogs who are tied-up are much more likely to bite someone.

As for the PETA discussion. PETA is known to provide financial support to groups responsible for millions of dollars worth of terrorist attacks. They do not have a public relations problem. They are an organization quite worthy of contempt. As a person who is dedicating his life to the welfare and health of animals, I find them repulsive.

Spring~Fields
01-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Maybe if they reached a compromise

Maybe the Jaguar will volunteer to be at each home game if he is free to roam at dinner time, then we can see who really wins the game. ;)

Crumbley
01-02-2005, 11:42 AM
I could take a Jaguar.

GAC
01-02-2005, 12:46 PM

To heck with the mascots. What about what those opposing players do to each other on that playing field?? The personal fouls! The unsportsmanlike conduct! Carrying guys off the field in stretchers! The blood, the maimings and injuries!

It's downright inhumane! Someone needs to put a stop to it!

PETA should really stand for "People for the Ethical Treatment of Athletes" :mhcky21:

GAC
01-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Walking up to someone who has a fur coat on and throwing paint or blood on them would tend to pose a PR problem. :MandJ: