PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss Pretends to Moon Fans

WVRed
01-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Sounds like a country boy from West Virginia. :allovrjr:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs04/news/story?id=1963404

ESPN.com news services
Randy Moss didn't leave Lambeau Field before the Vikings' playoff game was over Sunday. He still was in the middle of controversy, however.

Moss' celebration caused a firestorm of controversy after the game.

Moss -- whose reputation is still smarting for skulking off the field with 2 seconds left in a loss in Washington last week -- pretended to pull down his pants and moon the crowd after scoring on a 34-yard touchdown pass from Daunte Culpepper in the fourth quarter.

"Just having a little fun with the boys a little bit," he told Fox after the Vikings' 31-17 wild-card victory over the Packers. "I hope I don't get in trouble by it, but if I do I'll take the heat."

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Moss can expect some "heat" from the NFL.

When asked for a reaction to the touchdown celebration, an NFL spokesman told Mortensen: "Randy Moss can expect to be hearing from us."

Also Sunday, an ESPN interview with Moss did little to discount criticisms of his selfishness.

Earlier, Moss said -- in a roundabout way -- he was sorry about the negative reaction caused by his early departure from the field at Washington in the regular-season finale. This time, though, none of his comments could be characterized as apologetic.

"Defenses don't frustrate me," Moss said. "My team is what frustrates me. A defense can't frustrate me. What frustrated me is seeing us not doing what we're supposed to do."

Moss clarified that quote by claiming he was concerned solely about the Vikings' offensive success, as opposed to catching a certain amount of balls.

But in brushing off a question about center Matt Birk's confrontation with him in the locker room following the loss to the Redskins, Moss said he wasn't listening to Birk's rebuke and that he really didn't care what his teammate said.

He also gave a rather ambiguous answer when asked if he thought Minnesota was the right place for him.

"Do I want to be traded? No. I have my times when I think I want to," Moss said. "It all has to do with the frustrating part. ... There's something that's unfinished here in Minnesota that started since my rookie year."

Moss, with his hair poofed out in a giant Afro, had four receptions for 70 yards and two touchdowns.

Moss wasn't the only Viking to go the huge hair route. Running back Larry Ned, left tackle Bryant McKinnie and defensive lineman Darrion Scott joined him in a movement that Moss led last season for a home game against Kansas City.

Afros, by the way, stands for America's Finest Receivers on Sunday. At least to the Vikings, it does.

"It seems to be working, so we might keep it," McKinnie said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

NJReds
01-10-2005, 08:39 AM
I found it funny that many of my "local" news announcers were saying how appauled they were...that "kids" could have been watching and it was a bad example, and yet it was okay to replay it during their sportscasts every 30 minutes.

Immature, yes. Abhorrent and disgusting, no.

RedsBaron
01-10-2005, 09:25 AM
I wish another former Marshall University receiver, Troy Brown, had Randy Moss's talent. For that matter, I wish Moss had Brown's class and team spirit.

Roy Tucker
01-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey Randy, ever heard of karma?

Some day, this will all come around to bite him on what he showed the GB fans.

zombie-a-go-go
01-10-2005, 09:30 AM
He ain't got nothin' on Ickey Woods, yo. ;)

Stewie
01-10-2005, 09:39 AM
I found it ironic that Joe Buck was saying how he regretted that they showed that celebration live and calling Randy Moss "classless," despite the fact that just last week Fox was airing the ultra-classy "Who's Your Daddy?" I didn't know that Fox was all into morals and stuff now.

Whatever, I found the media blowups over these "celebrations" a little ridiculous. It's not like Moss ACTUALLY mooned the fans.

But I agree with NJReds, it's dumb that people in the media were saying it's disgusting, etc, and yet they keep showing replays of it and keep talking about it.

CbusRed
01-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I really wish the media would get of Moss's back a little bit. And Im not even a really big fan of him.

If you watched the pregame on fox yesterday, he admitted to Jimmy Johnson that walking off the field the week before was wrong. That should have been the end of it, there is no reason for the announcers to keep denouncing him every chance they get.

And then Buck's comical overreaction when Moss did the mooning bit was ridiculous. Of all the things Moss could have done, Simulating the mooning of an opposing crowd is mild to me. Now if he would have walked over and flipped the whole crowd off, thats a different story.

I would bet that 90% of the general public are not even remotley offended by the act of mooning. expecially in this case where no skin was exposed. But everyone is a Moss-hater so alot of people will say they are offended by this.

So let me ask this question...

What is more classless and sets a worse example?

Simulating the mooning of an opposing crowd after a touchdown?

Or...

Fighting and sparring after EVERY single play?

Unassisted
01-10-2005, 10:08 AM
It's a little early in the playoffs to be taunting, especially considering they were an 8-8 team going into that game. The team hasn't proven anything yet and Randy could be considerably less successful next weekend.

Minnesota is GB's main rival and as a divisional opponent, they have to play in Lambeau every year. Those fans aren't going to forget this by next year.

Personally, I wonder how much of JB's indignation was the result of the FCC's Super Bowl smackdown of last year. As Stewie points out, a rejection of in-your-face antics is hardly the norm in his network's programming.

CbusRed
01-10-2005, 10:13 AM
It's a little early in the playoffs to be taunting, especially considering they were an 8-8 team going into that game. The team hasn't proven anything yet and Randy could be considerably less successful next weekend.

I agree to an extent, With this win, Minny went 3-0 against Green Bay this year. I think thats quite an accomplishment. Plus, we are talking about Randy Moss, this is just how he is, you gotta accept it.

But yeah, 8-8 isnt really something to be flaunting, and the team really hasnt proven anything yet, but who ever called Moss a team player?

EDIT: I am an idiot, Minnesota went 1-2 against Green Bay this year. This post has no point .

Johnny Footstool
01-10-2005, 10:19 AM
I thought it was pretty funny and pretty creative. It was immature and classless too, but when has Randy Moss ever been mature or classy?

Walking off the field last week was a huge mistake, but this incident was hardly earth-shattering. It would barely rate a PG.

Broncos QB Jake Plummer flipped off the home crowd a few weeks ago, but that didn't get near the media coverage of Randy's fake mooning.

RedsBaron
01-10-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree to an extent, With this win, Minny went 3-0 against Green Bay this year. I think thats quite an accomplishment. Plus, we are talking about Randy Moss, this is just how he is, you gotta accept it.

But yeah, 8-8 isnt really something to be flaunting, and the team really hasnt proven anything yet, but who ever called Moss a team player?
Not that it matters all that much, but the Vikings did not go 3-0 against the Packers this season. Green Bay won both regular season meetings by identical 34-31 scores.

CbusRed
01-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Not that it matters all that much, but the Vikings did not go 3-0 against the Packers this season. Green Bay won both regular season meetings by identical 34-31 scores.
Wow, Why am I so retarded?

Its still early :MandJ:

Roy Tucker
01-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Speaking of Randy, that is one serious 'fro he's got. Like the guy from Outkast.

I didn't see the game. When I watched the NFL show on ESPN last night, Chris Berman made it out like he humped the goalpost or took a dump on the 50 yd line ("violating the hallowed ground of Lambeau Field"). I didn't know what the heck he had done.

I just watched the video on the ESPN web site. I'm as much of an old school guy as you'll find, but I did find it kinda funny, in an unbelievably audacious, stupid, and classless way.

I do think Randy will pay both monetarily, from his own teammates, from the media, and from GB fans for years to come.

But I don't think Randy cares. And if his career doesn't have a Jerry Rice type length because once he becomes not a premier receiver, nobody will touch him, well so what? He'll made enough money to last him his whole life.

Just seems to be the way the sports world is right now.

CbusRed
01-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Even more ridiculous on this matter, is the fact that Fox refused to show the replay of this, and that ESPN wont show it on sportscenter... Yet they will show the footage of Pacers/Pistons brawl every 15 minutes.

Chip R
01-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Wow, Why am I so retarded?

Would you like the reasons in alphabetical or chronological order? ;) You better not hope DG reads that post. ;)

pedro
01-10-2005, 12:38 PM
I saw it. It was stupid but it certainly wasn't "disgusting" as Joe Buck put it. TMBS, I think RM is kind of a jerk but I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a flip what anyone thinks of him.

RollyInRaleigh
01-10-2005, 01:34 PM
The players in the NFL should heed the words of the late Vince Lombardi.

"When you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before."

RFS62
01-10-2005, 01:42 PM

"When you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before."

Wonder what Vince would have said about the Packers tackling.

"Everybody's grabbing out there!!!!"

"Grab, grab, grab!!!!"

Yesterday was one of the worst tackling displays I've ever seen.

Unassisted
01-10-2005, 01:46 PM

"When you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before."Vince Lombardi didn't have players angling to make the highlight reel on ESPN. An NFL coach who tried to sell that to today's athlete would have a locker-room rebellion.

CbusRed
01-10-2005, 02:20 PM
When John Randall used to lift his leg and act like he was urinating on the QB after each sack, there wasnt a public outcry like this.

RollyInRaleigh
01-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Vince Lombardi didn't have players angling to make the highlight reel on ESPN. An NFL coach who tried to sell that to today's athlete would have a locker-room rebellion.

That may well be, and it's a shame that the NFL hierarchy, the owners, coaches, and players have allowed the game to lower itself to these types of classless exhibitions. I know that a lot of folks like all the celebrating, dancing and taunting that is prevalent and accepted in the NFL these days. They call it "entertainment." I suppose you get what you allow. I'm probably in the minority with my feelings about it. I guess that's why Lombardi's quote is no less relevant in my mind.

RollyInRaleigh
01-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Wonder what Vince would have said about the Packers tackling.

"Everybody's grabbing out there!!!!"

"Grab, grab, grab!!!!"

Yesterday was one of the worst tackling displays I've ever seen.

Agreed. :gac: You don't see many people "tackling" the way it used to be taught in the game these days.

Johnny Footstool
01-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Reminds me of an episode of "The Simpsons"...

TV announcer: Cocky and confident, Jets quarterback Joe Willie Namath strode onto the field. (Cut to shot of Namath with long brown hair)

Abe "Grandpa" Simpson: Look at those sideburns! He looks like a girl!

TV announcer: The Colts relied on seasoned veteran Johnny Unitas. (Cut to shot of Unitas with box-style crew cut)

Abe "Grandpa" Simpson: Now there's a haircut you can set your watch to!

WVRed
01-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Tony Dungy was interviewed and he said that he found nothing wrong with what Moss did. He did say that the Packers fans after a win moon the opposing team as they leave on the bus.

If that is true, then Moss's fine should be considerably less.

Sabo Fan
01-10-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm a big Vikings fan and I think it's amazing that the Moss incident is overshadowing the fact that they beat up on the Packers, something no one thought they could do. I don't get it. Berman and Buck overreacted to the "mooning" and seem to enjoy piling on Moss. I thought is was funny, and to me it's no worse than anything Terrell Owens does when he scores. I guess since Owens had been a good soldier this year, despite his history of being a cancer, ESPN and the rest of the sports media have to find someone else to dump on.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm biased, and that I absolutely hate the Packers, so take this comment with a grain of salt: it's no secret that Farve is a media darling and every sportscaster loves to gush all over him. That makes a part of me think this whole bit about being offended and outraged at Moss is a ploy to cover up the fact that Brett Farve flat out lost this game for his team. No ifs ands or buts about it, I think this loss falls squarely on him. He forced balls when he had no business throwing them and threw four picks, and then there's the little illegal pass in the endzone that Collinsworth, Aikman and Buck gushed over, ignoring the fact that the guy cost his team a touchdown. To me this whole Moss blowup is nothing more than an attmept to make people forget that Farve flat out stunk in the biggest game of the year at hallowed Lambeau Field.

TeamBoone
01-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Just because he's Randy Moss and "that's how he is" is no excuse. Kinda like "boys will be boys" is no excuse most of the time. The team should have been penalized for his classless act.

I remember Chad Johnson and another player banging shoulders in the endzone after a touchdown. The team was penalized for "celebrating".

RollyInRaleigh
01-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Interesting that Joe Buck came down so hard, and was so critical of the "spoiled athlete incarnate," Randy Moss, yet seems to be benefiting and promoting the "spoiled athlete" with his Budweiser commercials and the spoof of the ultra-spoiled "Leon." Just some food for thought. ;)

traderumor
01-11-2005, 10:14 AM
When did Joe Buck get so righteous? And Cris Collinsworth?

It put it in a whole different perspective for me when I learned the context of what he did, which was giving it back to the fans, who apparently hang around the parking lot and collectively moon the visiting team's buses after a home victory. It's called gamesmanship. It sure does beat a 300 lb gorilla doing a jig after making a tackle

RollyInRaleigh
01-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Although I still don't condone what Moss did, the context of the act did lend a little different perspective to it, didn't it?

Chip R
01-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Interesting that Joe Buck came down so hard, and was so critical of the "spoiled athlete incarnate," Randy Moss, yet seems to be benefiting and promoting the "spoiled athlete" with his Budweiser commercials and the spoof of the ultra-spoiled "Leon." Just some food for thought. ;)
Yeah, that's the same thing I was thinking. Morality is selective.

flyer85
01-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Nothing wrong with a little pressed ham.

traderumor
01-11-2005, 10:57 AM
This brings up a point about all the dancing and prancing going on in the NFL, which is probably as bad as in any sport, including the home run poses in baseball.

You know the routine, sack the QB, get up and do some kind of display for the cameras. A 280 lb. lineman flexes his muscles to celebrate tackling a 185 lb. receiver looking for a place to fall.

Do these guys realize that I cannot fathom anyone that says they follow the NFL for the celebrations. I'm sure there is someone that puts that is in the top 10 reasons why they love the NFL (perhaps the guy with the hardhat that always gets on camera at Bengals home games?), but I know many people who are totally turned off and no longer follow the league because of all the tacky celebrating that goes on during the games. That seems like the reverse of what you would want as a marketer who wants to continue building up the league.

In short, the NFL doesn't only need to continue to flag end zone "excessive" celebrations so that it will stop because of its negative marketing impact (in the long run), but also put a stop to the stupid defensive celebrations after every stinkin' tackle and the offensive celebrations after a first down.

I do find it interesting that Moss did not get a flag for the faux moon, but Chad and TJ were flagged for doing a chest bump after coming back from a 23 point deficit against the Ravens. That's consistency.

RollyInRaleigh
01-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Some people contend that they should be allowed to express their "individualism." My contention is, "that is all well and good," but the time to show your talents as an athlete is during the play, not after. There is time for an acting career after athletics.

Chip R
01-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Do these guys realize that I cannot fathom anyone that says they follow the NFL for the celebrations. I'm sure there is someone that puts that is in the top 10 reasons why they love the NFL (perhaps the guy with the hardhat that always gets on camera at Bengals home games?), but I know many people who are totally turned off and no longer follow the league because of all the tacky celebrating that goes on during the games. That seems like the reverse of what you would want as a marketer who wants to continue building up the league.

That depends on whom you are marketing to. There are just as many people out there who enjoy those celebrations. You may not come across them but they are out there.

traderumor
01-11-2005, 01:49 PM
That depends on whom you are marketing to. There are just as many people out there who enjoy those celebrations. You may not come across them but they are out there.
I don't doubt that, but I'm talking about that is within the primary reasons that they follow. In other words, how many Bubbas are there that say "I started wutchin THE NFof L all the time after this one guy made a tackle and he deed a victory lap 'round the field" as opposed to folks who have given up on watching the league because of all the tacky celebrations after nearly every play. Since I know some of the latter and none of the other, my unscientific SWAG is that it is a net marketing loss for attracting and maintaining fans of the league. Plus, since they have cracked down on endzone celebrations, I assume their research shows that they are repelling rather than attracting fans. They just haven't had the cajones yet to go after all celebrations.

Redsfaithful
01-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I seriously doubt that people who've stopped following the NFL because of excessive celebrations were spending that much money on the sport anyway. Certainly not enough to make a dent, and there are obviously aren't enough of those people to make a dent in ratings either.

Chad Johnson is my favorite professional athlete. His personality is pretty much entirely why.

CbusRed
01-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I seriously doubt that people who've stopped following the NFL because of excessive celebrations were spending that much money on the sport anyway. Certainly not enough to make a dent, and there are obviously aren't enough of those people to make a dent in ratings either.

Chad Johnson is my favorite professional athlete. His personality is pretty much entirely why.

RF, Finally I agree with you on something ;)

I feel that player personalities are something that makes the game much more interesting, not that it isnt allready interesting enough.

Player personalities are good for creating storylines that build interest in games. And this goes for all sports. For example. I am a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but whenever there is a Colorado/Detroit game on TV, thats what I am watching. why? because the storyline created by the hatred between the two teams is quality entertainment. I will never forget when Darren McCarthy skated slowly by the Av's bench and punched every single player in the face as he skated by. That was Awesome! If not for that, I wouldnt even care about that game.

Marvin Harrison is a reciever that I believe is on the same level as Randy Moss or Terrell Owens skill-wise. But he is boring. I would much rather watch Moss or TO. Their unpredictable behavior keeps me interested.

traderumor
01-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Marvin Harrison is a reciever that I believe is on the same level as Randy Moss or Terrell Owens skill-wise. But he is boring. I would much rather watch Moss or TO. Their unpredictable behavior keeps me interested.

And then fans like myself were impressed listening to an interview with Terry Holt because he did a 30 second clip on Mark Bolger without saying "uh" and "ya know" once (or talk about himself). He was very articulate, which also shows in his approach to the game. Marvin Harrison is boring because he lets his game do the talking rather than flapping his jaws? As we do potayto, patahto, I guess I'll take boring. Also, his "boring" ways makes him the actual best receiver in the game, while all the other two you mentioned can do is try to talk up their game to his level.

Unassisted
01-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Vikings owner Red McCombs (who lives here in San Antonio, btw) wanted young Buck removed from the next Vikings broadcast.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/football/cst-spt-nflnt13.html

McCombs wants Fox's Buck off Vikings' broadcast

Fox Sports turned down Minnesota Vikings owner Red McCombs' request to remove play-by-play announcer Joe Buck from Sunday's game at Philadelphia over his criticism of Randy Moss.

After Moss caught a touchdown pass in last weekend's win at Green Bay, the wide receiver celebrated by pretending to pull down his pants and moon Packers fans. Buck immediately called it a ''disgusting act.''

McCombs said that statement was out of line. A two-sentence news release issued by the team said McCombs felt Buck's comments ''suggested a prejudice that surpassed objective reporting.''

Dan Bell, a Fox spokesman, said Wednesday the network has ''no intention whatsoever'' of removing Buck.

Buck, during an interview on Sporting News Radio earlier this week, stood by his criticism.

''I have nothing against Randy Moss,'' Buck said. ''I don't even know the guy. I just know that with the history that he's had, and coming off that game at Washington, it was just stunning to see that.''

zombie-a-go-go
01-13-2005, 02:01 PM
NFL imposed a 10K fine on Moss for this.

CbusRed
01-13-2005, 02:02 PM
I want Buck off the broadcast team too. I cant stand him.

Chip R
01-13-2005, 02:04 PM
I thought it was interesting that ESPN apologized for not showing the incident on Sunday. Guess the 70-some percent that voted in their poll that didn't find anything wromg with Moss' actions changed their monds awful fast.

RedsBaron
01-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Vikings owner Red McCombs (who lives here in San Antonio, btw) wanted young Buck removed from the next Vikings broadcast.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/football/cst-spt-nflnt13.html
I'm not a fan of Buck but I'm glad to see that FOX bucked the demand of McCombs to remove the announcer.
McCombs should have kept his mouth shut IMO. The Vikings already appear to lack the ability to control Moss. McCombs's demand probably only encouraged Moss to continue his antics.

RFS62
01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
My best friend coached Moss in high school.

RollyInRaleigh
01-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Was that at Dupont, RFS62?

RFS62
01-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Yes

My buddy once beat Randy and Jason Williams in a game of horse with a behind the back shot from the top of the key.

WVRed
01-13-2005, 04:49 PM
My best friend coached Moss in high school.

My Sunday School teacher coached Moss in middle school baseball. He had some rather interesting stories.:)

RollyInRaleigh
01-13-2005, 06:07 PM
When Moss was at Marshall, and right after the NFL draft, he drove in to my cousin's full service car wash, which is near the University. (He had gotten to know Moss, who frequently came through the car wash in his old trashy car.) Brand new car, (don't remember the make or model] but it was a rather odd color. A very light green. My cousin complimented him on the car and mentioned that it was quite an upgrade over his old ride. Then he asked him why he chose that particular color. His comment? With a big smile, "Cause it's the color of money."

My cousin has a few interesting stories about "The Freak."

traderumor
01-14-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm not a fan of Buck but I'm glad to see that FOX bucked the demand of McCombs to remove the announcer.
McCombs should have kept his mouth shut IMO. The Vikings already appear to lack the ability to control Moss. McCombs's demand probably only encouraged Moss to continue his antics.I'm guessing that Moss's fine will be covered by the boss as well based on his attitude.

NJReds
01-14-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm guessing that Moss's fine will be covered by the boss as well based on his attitude.

So it's okay for the NFL to allow the "Despirate Housewives" promo on Monday night football.

It's also okay to have Janet Jackson and Timberlake on halftime of the Super Bowl. (even before the 'wardrobe malfuction' I've heard that portions of it were sexually suggestive...don't recall, myself).

But Randy Moss simulates mooning the crowd and it's a draws a fine? :rolleyes: It didn't even draw a penalty.

The NFL needs :help:

Chip R
01-14-2005, 12:28 PM
So it's okay for the NFL to allow the "Despirate Housewives" promo on Monday night football.

The NFL was none too pleased about that.

deltachi8
01-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Man, 10 large for some pressed ham? Glad that was enforced on my college campus circa 1988-1992.

NJReds
01-14-2005, 01:06 PM
The NFL was none too pleased about that.

That's what they said...but I'm sure there were folks in the NFL that knew about it before it happened. The Eagles certainly did, it was in their lockerroom.