PDA

View Full Version : impending snow storm or hoax?

savafan
01-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I keep hearing people talk about a kamala of a snowstorm that is said to be bringing feet of snow coming our way, yet I've seen nothing about this on the weather channel or local forecasts. Is this all a hoax, or do the news people think it'd be a better story if we were all caught off guard?

Unassisted
01-10-2005, 05:21 PM
The Weather Service is the most objective source. If they say it's going to snow a lot, you should make sure you know where your shovel is. If the TV meteorologist says it... well, just keep in mind that their job is to get you to watch their employer.

Aceking
01-10-2005, 05:22 PM
The rumor I had heard said it was gonna dump snow on Wednesday. That said, it's supposed to be like 65 degrees wednesday as well.

missionhockey21
01-10-2005, 05:22 PM
I've heard about this too and wondered the same thing. Some saying "Snowstorm of the Century." I did see the temps will begin to drop, A LOT, as the end of the work week comes about but I dont know about this massive storm I've heard about it.

Red Leader
01-10-2005, 05:31 PM
The weather girl last night said that there is a lot of moisture coming up from the south, they are hoping that it passes to our east before the arctic winds come in from the north. If the winds from the north beat the moisture from the south, it could be bad, but most likely we'll see plenty of rain for the middle of the week and then the arctic winds will come in after the moisture has moved past us to the east.

RBA
01-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Thought I would post this here. I hope they don't find any more dead.

Major landslide hits homes in stormy Southern California

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A huge mudslide crashed down on homes in a coastal hamlet of storm-battered Southern California, killing one person and damaging at least 15 homes, authorities said. A four-block area of homes in tiny La Conchita were affected, said Ventura County Fire Department spokesman Tom Kruschke. Numerous injuries were reported, he said.

La Conchita is a slip of a town pressed between a highway and a towering coastal bluff northwest of Los Angeles. Several houses were damaged there during powerful storms in the 1990s.

The hillside cascaded down as authorities were evacuating about 200 residents from near the unstable area. Search and rescue teams were dispatched to look for anyone who may have been buried.

Southern California has been swamped by extremely heavy rainfall since last week.

Chip R
01-10-2005, 05:55 PM
I heard the same thing last week at work that some kind of "perfect storm" is going to hit here on Thursday. I'll believe it when I see it.

RosieRed
01-10-2005, 06:16 PM
If Nev. can get 19 feet of snow, my guess is anything's possible.

remdog
01-10-2005, 06:32 PM
"Snowstorm of the Century" shouldn't be too tough to do, the century being only 5+ years old. :p:

Rem

TeamBoone
01-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I heard it too, but then I heard the weather pattern had changed and all that snow we were supposed to get will now be in the form of rain.

RedFanAlways1966
01-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Ask the "guy" on the left. He is Fred & Doris Ziffel's son, Arnold. He knows the answer...

missionhockey21
01-10-2005, 09:36 PM
I heard it too, but then I heard the weather pattern had changed and all that snow we were supposed to get will now be in the form of rain.
Seg or someone was talking about the potential snowstorm, when I was driving to school this afternoon. Obviously, it may not be the most credible source or could just be a hoax, but they were talking as if it would hit this weekend. Who knows.

We'll see I guess. Better make sure you guys and gals have enough salt for your walks just in case. I know I used most of ours up for the last storm. :MandJ:

Roy Tucker
01-10-2005, 11:48 PM
I emailed the channel 19 weather guy...

To:
Cc:

Subject: RE: big storm?
Sent: 1/10/2005 2:52 PM
Importance: Normal
Hi Bruce,

I am expecting a storm this week but nothing bigger than the two we have just seen. Whether we get snow or heavy rain will depend on the storm's track and right now it appears that we will get more heavy rain, then a change to snow by Thursday evening…though I doubt we will get much accumulation.

The “perfect storm” buzz has been going on across the country because of a newspaper article generated somewhere and run in most major newspapers around the country last week talking about three storms coming together, with the Pineapple Express and the arctic express, etc.. I have even been on two local radio stations talking about it, 700 WLW and Q102. And Bill Cunningham on 700 has been having fun with everyone by calling for a major snowstorm with 10 feet of snow, but he is clearly joking with everyone. So, get ready for more rain and then some arctic air, but major snowfall is not expect.

Have a great day!

Rich Apuzzo :-)

www.ApuzzoWeather.com

GAC
01-13-2005, 09:01 AM
We've already had our alotment of blizzards and ice storms for this winter in this area.

But I've been hearing this buzz too. Someone at work said it was listed in the Farmer's Almanac that it was coming. The Almanac also accurately perdicted the blizzard we got just prior to Christmas.

The best way to predict the weather?.... look out your kitchen window.