PDA

View Full Version : College Basketball and the 3-Pointer

MWM
01-15-2005, 06:36 PM
The three point shot has gotten out of control in college basketball and the line needs to be moved a lot closer to where the pro line is. I couldn't find where I read it, but I read somewhere last year that the percentage of total shots taken that are three pointers has increased over the years to some ungodly number in the 40% range. That's ridiculous. One of the things that has kept college basketball fun to watch is that team's still run an offense and play a team game. Anymore it seems like I'm watching little more than a three pointer contest. It's definitely taking away from the game, IMO.

TeamSelig
01-15-2005, 11:21 PM
I like the 3's, but agree that the line should be moved back some.

Chip R
01-15-2005, 11:31 PM
I used to kinda like the 3 pointer. Now, I'm not so sure. It seems like all players want to do now is either chuck it from downtown or try to make as spectacular of a dunk as you can. Moving the 3 point line back does nothing to bring back more of a team concept to the game.

KronoRed
01-15-2005, 11:37 PM
How bout make the half court line a 4 point shot? ;)

Chip R
01-16-2005, 12:18 AM
How bout make the half court line a 4 point shot? ;)
I've had that idea for a while. It'd be funny watching a team down by 4 trying all those heaves from half court. :lol:

Cedric
01-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Move it back? I'm with Bob Knight, take the damned thing out of the game all together. It's one of the main reasons the NBA is terrible and why there is nobody with a mid range game anymore.

Danny Serafini
01-16-2005, 12:44 AM
It's silly that the high school line and the college line are the same. Move it back some, maybe to international distance.

KronoRed
01-16-2005, 12:44 AM
They will never take it out, people in charge like to see high scoring games, they believe (perhaps wrongly) that taking it out would lead to less points, less fans..

Not a bad idea to drop it though.

REDREAD
01-16-2005, 09:21 PM
But if you drop the 3 pointer all together, you go back to the days where the entire game is feeding the center.

Redsland
01-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I second the emotion of moving it back to the international distance.

It never made sense to me that college uses the same distance as high school.

Roy Tucker
01-17-2005, 09:27 AM
I just wish they had it when I played HS hoops. I could have nailed that thing all day long (Roy had quite the deadly leftie jumper in the day).

But yeah, I think it's a little ridiculous where they have the college/HS line. That is a very makeable shot. You can make that with a normal jump shot.

The pro line is a serious heave and a real challenge.

bucksfan
01-18-2005, 12:29 PM
I think it would be fine if the line were moved back to at least international distance too. The shot is way too makeable for the added reward. It does keep the middle cleared up for the most part, so I think it essentially "does it's job".

College bball does not need much fixing IMO besides hopefully keeping more of the better players around longer. I never want to deny anyone a chance at making a living, but selfishly I want the best players in college as long as I can see them. And I think I saw that that the % early entry kids not playing in the NBA was at an all-time high last year (maybe near 50% though not sure where I got that from). Anyway, I am seeing some very good college bball played this year. There is lots more experience back across the country, and that may have something to do with it.

cumberlandreds
01-19-2005, 08:01 AM
The 3 point shot has leveled the playing field in CBB more than anything in the history of the sport. Smaller teams have a much better chance of knocking off a bigger team. Used to be a team would load up on the big guys and just pound away. You can't do that now. I love the 3 point shot but it probably should be moved back a foot or so. The bad part about it is that the mid range jumper has almost been completely lost. It seems no one can make that shot anymore.

Puffy
01-19-2005, 10:12 AM
They should move it back some. Probably to the International line, although if they didn't want to go back that far then just moving it back would be good enough for me. But they should move it back a little.