PDA

View Full Version : The Village

GAC
01-16-2005, 05:58 AM
If you haven't seen this movie, then do not proceed any further. I don't want to spoil it for you (though I don't think there is much to spoil after finally seeing it :p: ).

BIG disappointment for me. Not one of M Night's best efforts IMO.

To coin Sixth Sense...."I see a dread movie" "lol"

Alot of "gaps" in this movie. A "secret" society somehow hidden away from all of modern civilization under the rouse of a giant wildlife preserve?

And then to find out those "they are forbidden to speak of" never really existed, but were created/fabricated in order to exercise control over the village.

It had it's typical M Night moments; but overall, a weak effort.

On a different note.... I Robot :thumbdown

We rentes Shaun Of The Dead, but turned it off early into the movie because I didn't think it was appropriate for the kids. I'll watch it later alone.

Looking forward to watching Denzel in the Machurian Candidate today. But gotta get it in before the Patriot-Colts game. :allovrjr:

RedsBaron
01-16-2005, 06:52 AM
I loved "The Sixth Sense." I liked "Signs." I haven't yet seen "The Village" but it has received uniformly poor reviews and everything I've read about it makes it sound to be simply dumb.

LvJ
01-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Watched it the week it came out. Loved it.

GoReds
01-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Sixth Sense and Signs spooked us because M. Night caught us off-guard. When you go to a movie expecting a surprise, it takes some air out of the balloon.

M. Night needs to try something new, that's all.

Redsfaithful
01-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Sixth Sense and Signs spooked us because M. Night caught us off-guard. When you go to a movie expecting a surprise, it takes some air out of the balloon.

M. Night needs to try something new, that's all.

That's a pretty good explanation. I figured the Village out fairly quickly, and I usually don't see the twists in movies until they happen. I might not have gotten it if I wasn't looking for a twist to begin with.

Ravenlord
01-17-2005, 07:14 AM
figured out "Unbreakable," 35 minutes into the movie
figured out "The Sixth Sense," the first time Bruce Willis talked to the kid
figured out "Signs" 30 minutes into the movie
figured out "The Village" in 10 minutes. i dang near had it figured out from the previews.

i like Night's movies though.

LvJ
01-17-2005, 09:51 AM
It's all about why you watch movies I guess.

I knew about The Village before I watched it, but I didn't care. I still loved it, because I don't watch movies for surprise endings or a shock storyline.

Ravenlord
01-17-2005, 10:17 AM
wasn't really trying to figure them out. guess i just think similar enough to Night for it to work.

Oxilon
01-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Figured out "signs" 35 minutes into the film? What's there to figure out? Aliens were coming?