PDA

View Full Version : Looking for British Travel Help

jmcclain19
01-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Ok, so I'm submitting a request to the folks of Redszone in hopes that perhaps someone can help me.

Here's my deal.

I want to go to London to see my father. But I'll be spending some time by myself traveling the countryside, going up to Scotland and possibly Ireland for an extended time. It'll be in the summer, so we're talking about the height of the travel season, which I know means a pretty penny anyway.

First, if anyone knows of a place, beyond the traditional travel websites to get a good deal on flights I'm all ears. I have to fly out of Phoenix to New York or Boston, then onto London, before departing on a several hour train ride to get to my final destination. So any deals in the travel section would be appreicated greatly.

Also was looking for anyone who's been to England lately, any tips, help, problems, things I should know about, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

jmcclain19
01-24-2005, 06:59 PM
bumping this back up.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Been spending the last week boning up on travel books and websites for info.

creek14
01-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Josh, I have a friend who PCS'd back from England not too long ago. If I can find some free time (I've been busy lately cleaning my dentures), I'll see if he can throw together some information for you.

ochre
01-25-2005, 09:53 AM
I was stationed there in the early 90s. The train system is pretty good. The one think I would warn you about is that as an American you are conditioned to look one direction (left) when stepping off of a curb in traffic. Try to remember that over there you have to look the other way. It sounds simple, but it is really deeply conditioned behavior.

Moonlite Graham
01-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Spent two weeks in Scotland / UK back in 2000 would be glad to answer any questions I can.

Just off the top of my head...

For travel to the UK some airlines that might not be on the big search engines but usually have reasonable rates are

IcelandAir
BritishMidland

Get a cheap flight to NYC or Boston or DC on a domestic airline and then see what these guys can do for you to get your across the pond.

Of course BA (British Airways) was the best flying experience Ive ever had, First class experience without sitting in first class.