PDA

View Full Version : Villagers furious with Christian Missionaries

RBA
01-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Top Stories Sunday January 16, 5:13 PM

Villagers furious with Christian Missionaries

Samanthapettai, Jan 16 (ANI): Rage and fury has gripped this tsunami-hit tiny Hindu village in India's southern Tamil Nadu after a group of Christian missionaries allegedly refused them aid for not agreeing to follow their religion.

Samanthapettai, near the temple town of Madurai, faced near devastation on the December 26 when massive tidal waves wiped it clean of homes and lives.

Most of the 200 people here are homeless or displaced , battling to rebuild lives and locating lost family members besides facing risks of epidemic,disease and trauma.

Jubilant at seeing the relief trucks loaded with food, clothes and the much-needed medicines the villagers, many of who have not had a square meal in days, were shocked when the nuns asked them to convert before distributing biscuits and water.

Heated arguments broke out as the locals forcibly tried to stop the relief trucks from leaving. The missionaries, who rushed into their cars on seeing television reporters and the cameras refusing to comment on the incident and managed to leave the village.

Disappointed and shocked into disbelief the hapless villagers still await aid.

"Many NGOs (volunteer groups) are extending help to us but there in our village the NGO, which was till now helping us is now asking us to follow the Christian religion. We are staunch followers of Hindu religion and refused their request. And after that these people with their aid materials are leaving the village without distributing that to us," Rajni Kumar, a villager said.

The incident is an exception to concerted charity in a catastrophe that has left no one untouched.(ANI)

RFS62
01-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Man, I sure hope this is erroneous

CbusRed
01-16-2005, 08:02 PM
I wonder if these "Christian Ministries" that are doing this are really just that, and not just a bunch of televangelist quacks looking for more followers and more money.

RBA
01-16-2005, 08:06 PM
I have never heard of the "ANI" news service. So I don't know how relieable they are.

westofyou
01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Founded over 25 years ago, ANI is today South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 50 Bureaus in India and across the globe.

http://www.aniin.com/index.html

RFS62
01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
My experience in disaster relief is limited to the United States. And I can say without reservation, that it brings out the best and worst of the human condition.

I've seen generators and bottled water sell for 10 times their market value and human locusts decending on the downtrodden and helpless, on every single event I've participated in.

I've also seen people who barely knew their neighbors names offer their last morsel to a stranger in need.

Human beings are inherently good.

The scum who take advantage of others in their time of need are the exception, not the rule.

Falls City Beer
01-16-2005, 08:45 PM
My experience in disaster relief is limited to the United States. And I can say without reservation, that it brings out the best and worst of the human condition.

I've seen generators and bottled water sell for 10 times their market value and human locusts decending on the downtrodden and helpless, on every single event I've participated in.

I've also seen people who barely knew their neighbors names offer their last morsel to a stranger in need.

Human beings are inherently good.

The scum who take advantage of others in their time of need are the exception, not the rule.

As one who's spent much of his adult life getting people from prison to work, I've seen it all when it comes to buzzards circling the disaster that one's life can become. I'm not real sure that I don't see more exploiters in my experience than I do truly selfless and beneficent people. But those who are great of spirit shine so brightly, it somehow breaks the balance. And I'm not sure how, but it's amazing.

GAC
01-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Top Stories Sunday January 16, 5:13 PM

Villagers furious with Christian Missionaries

Jubilant at seeing the relief trucks loaded with food, clothes and the much-needed medicines the villagers, many of who have not had a square meal in days, were shocked when the nuns asked them to convert before distributing biscuits and water.

The Pope (Catholic Church heirarchy) should be apalled and quickly respond to correct this situation IF IT'S TRUE. Because it is not what Jesus, the apostles, and early church taught or adhered to.

Our church, and many of the other local churches, work with the homeless and poor within our city. Especially with children/teens who live in broken homes where there is very little love and support. There is very little hope. And our main goal is to show them that there is someone who does care for them. And we give them aid and help as best we can without any strings attached.

And in my experiences I've come to realize that in alot of these cases these families, who appreciate the help/concern, will ask "what motivates you to do this when you don't really need to?" And the answer is really very simple.... Jesus taught "The poor you will always have with you". And he, the apostles, and the early church, carried the mandate to always help those in need, even when they themselves had very little.

You lead by example. If you say you are a follower of Jesus, then people should see Jesus in you. ;)