PDA

View Full Version : Who did more for civil rights, MLK or Jackie Robinson?

savafan
01-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't know the answer, I'm just curious. Robinson was the one who broke the color barrier, and did it all on his own. This was just something I was weighing on my top five greatest Americans list that I wanted some opinions on outside of that thread.

Rojo
01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Robinson was the one who broke the color barrier, and did it all on his own.

Branch Rickey had a little to do with it.

RedsBaron
01-18-2005, 02:29 PM
That question is tough to answer. As Rojo pointed out, Branch Rickey helped break the color line. Martin Luther King hardly acted alone either. The civil rights movement was larger than any one or two men, though no one can deny the importance each man played. To cut to the chase: I don't know.

RedFanAlways1966
01-18-2005, 02:36 PM
That question is tough to answer. As Rojo pointed out, Branch Rickey helped break the color line. Martin Luther King hardly acted alone either. The civil rights movement was larger than any one or two men, though no one can deny the importance each man played. To cut to the chase: I don't know.

Nice answer, RB.

I'd have to say... without a doubt.... Dr. Martin Luther King Jr..

Jackie was in the game and out of the game before Dr. King hardly dented the planet with his idea of equality and peace among men of all races. Once Jackie entered MLB it meant more opportunity for other black players (not much for many... ask the Red Sox), but not too much opportunity. Dr. King helped create change on many more fronts in this country other than the sports world. Dr. King's work helped lead to LBJ signing the Civil Rights legislation. Dr. King also preached a tune not heard by many oppressed people before this... change in a peaceful manner (ala Gandhi).

Both men will always be remembered in history. But I truly believe that Dr. King did much-much more for Civil Rights than Jackie Robinson. And that in no way, shape or form is a put-down to Jackie.

Phoenix
01-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Without question, MLK. Is this really a debate? Brach Rickey decided to integrate his team. He chose Robinson based on his temperment and ability. It was a big deal, but please...

MLK brought the Civil Rights movement front and center to public consciousness.