http://www.boreme.com/bm/JAN05/a/vw-suicide-bomber/fr.htm

:shocked:

I hear it's actually a real ad.

KronoRed
01-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Wow..just wow..where does that ad run??

LvJ
01-19-2005, 07:20 AM
I believe it's a British ad ... so .. yeah.

Redsland
01-19-2005, 10:38 AM
It's not real. Obviously.

People who aspire to work at particular advertising agencies or production houses or web companies, or what have you, will often work up some "spec" (read "fake") work to impress their prospective employer with the candidate's ability to be creative on behalf of the clients already served by that agency.

This appears to be such an example of spec work.

I could speak more authoritatively on it if the VW nameplate in question was an American one, because I know the people at Arnold Communication in Boston who handle that work. This spot purports to be for a VW Polo, though, which is a European nameplate that is handled by BMP DDB in London. I don't know those blokes. But I can tell you that, in the past, they've positioned the Polo as being "shocking affordable" and "loaded with expensive features." Not, as this as ad suggests, “small but tough.”

BCubb2003
01-19-2005, 02:53 PM
It's produced by a company called Lee and Dan. They specialize in making edgy British commercials that supposedly are not approved by the company that made the product, but the ads get passed around online. There was also one for a little Ford car called the SportKa where a cat gets decapitated by the sunroof.