PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Ban political & religious threads at RedsZone?

Red Thunder
01-19-2005, 01:07 PM
I think it's an important matter and maybe - depending on the poll result - it will make it easier for GIK, Boss-Hogg and the moderators to find a reasonable decision.

Redsland
01-19-2005, 01:09 PM
No. Ban the people that make the threads unbearable.

Rojo
01-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Ignore flamers and don't ban anyone.

CougarQuest
01-19-2005, 01:17 PM
I really don't think we need yet another thread started on this topic. We already have a multi-page thread on it with everyones opinion clearly stated. This is being addressed and a solution to the problem will be announced that will be fair.

Red Thunder
01-19-2005, 01:32 PM
CQ,

this poll is just meant to give a direct impression how many people here are in favour of banning the political threads. Just vote Yes or No - no additional arguments needed. I find this important to make a final decision ... why should something be taken away from us posters if for example about 75 % are in favour of it?

In my opinion it's not easy to get an impression how the majority feels from the already 135 responses long other thread.

CougarQuest
01-19-2005, 01:39 PM
You're jumping to conclusions. Relax. Again, this is being addressed, and was being addressed before "that thread" was started, and the over-all fair solution will be announced soon enough.

Ravenlord
01-19-2005, 04:03 PM
no. i think something that would be beneficial would be able to ban people from a side of the board, not the entire board.

WVRed
01-19-2005, 04:28 PM
no. i think something that would be beneficial would be able to ban people from a side of the board, not the entire board.

I dont think VBulletin is quite that good yet.

Boss-Hog
01-19-2005, 04:31 PM
I dont think VBulletin is quite that good yet.
Yes it is.

I don't have a problem with you running this poll because I understand why you did, but I can assure you that whatever decision we reach will have nothing to do with the outcome of this poll.

WVRed
01-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Yes it is.

Im assuming you can ban people from viewing the NBC then? I've seen other boards(phb, which is probably the best free board around) that dont have that feature, although it would be very useful, IMO.

Boss-Hog
01-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Im assuming you can ban people from viewing the NBC then? I've seen other boards(phb, which is probably the best free board around) that dont have that feature, although it would be very useful, IMO.
Yes; that is one of the proposals we are discussing as punishment.

TRF
01-19-2005, 08:38 PM
phpBB does have that feature as a hack.

i use it on my site.

savafan
01-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Yes; that is one of the proposals we are discussing as punishment.

Sounds like a fair proposal to me.

TeamBoone
01-20-2005, 09:53 AM
And let's burn books too.

Everyone has the right to his/her opinion; everyone has the right to state his/her opinion; everyone has the right to not agree with his/her stated opinion... and everyone has the power to not read any of the opinions stated, especially if they drive the reader over the edge.

Boss-Hog
01-20-2005, 10:16 AM
And let's burn books too.

Everyone has the right to his/her opinion; everyone has the right to state his/her opinion; everyone has the right to not agree with his/her stated opinion... and everyone has the power to not read any of the opinions stated, especially if they drive the reader over the edge.
With all due respect, that's not what the issue is here. The issue is the personal attacks made within these threads.

RedsBaron
01-20-2005, 10:24 AM
I hope political threads are not banned, but no poster has the "right" to make political posts here. RedsZone doesn't "belong" to the posters any more than my house belongs to other posters. I have the right to prohibit speech I don't like in my house and Boss-Hog has the same right here.

Boss-Hog
01-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I hope political threads are not banned, but no poster has the "right" to make political posts here. RedsZone doesn't "belong" to the posters any more than my house belongs to other posters. I have the right to prohibit speech I don't like in my house and Boss-Hog has the same right here.
Agreed, just as long as it's clear that I don't want to prohibit the freedom of speech - merely the insults.

SunDeck
01-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Ban them! Sorry, but I rarely even look at this side of the board anymore because I'm sick of it. Used to be fun over here, but now it's just a drag. The responsible parties have succeeded in driving away a former frequent participant on the non-baseball side. Thanks for nothing.

savafan
01-20-2005, 12:42 PM
As bad as it may be on the political threads on this forum, it's still better than the many other forums that I visit.

CougarQuest
01-20-2005, 01:05 PM
As bad as it may be on the political threads on this forum, it's still better than the many other forums that I visit.

Whoooaaa, you 'VISIT' other forums? You're cheating on us? You make this announcement and then state we are better than the others, like that will make this all better. Whaaaatever

;)

RedFanAlways1966
01-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Agreed, just as long as it's clear that I don't want to prohibit the freedom of speech - merely the insults.

Very good. And can we be sure to apply the same set of rules to all members... whether they have 100,0000 posts or 1 post? Sometimes it seems like different rules apply to different members. I doubt that I am the only one who sees/reads this. Thanks!

savafan
01-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Whoooaaa, you 'VISIT' other forums? You're cheating on us? You make this announcement and then state we are better than the others, like that will make this all better. Whaaaatever

;)

Believe me, all of those other forums mean nothing to me. I just visit for fun. I really do love Redszone. :p:

Boss-Hog
01-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Very good. And can we be sure to apply the same set of rules to all members... whether they have 100,0000 posts or 1 post? Sometimes it seems like different rules apply to different members. I doubt that I am the only one who sees/reads this. Thanks!
Well, if that's the case, you should have nothing to complain about.

Johnny Footstool
01-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I can assure you that whatever decision we reach will have nothing to do with the outcome of this poll.

Maybe you should pay attention to the results of this poll. It looks like people are in favor of keeping political threads by a 3-to-1 margin.

Falls City Beer
01-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Personally, I really like the strictness...honestly, no sarcasm at all. This will root out all those people who, in their failure to come up with an intelligent and reasoned response, resort to emoticons and personal attacks. That way I won't feel the need to respond to personal attacks with my own brand of exquisite venom. I get to save it for special occasions, like holidays.

Unassisted
01-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Maybe you should pay attention to the results of this poll. It looks like people are in favor of keeping political threads by a 3-to-1 margin.And I bet we could get a near unanimous vote if we polled on whether the board should offer free beer for posting. RedsZone is not a democracy.

WVRed
01-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Maybe you should pay attention to the results of this poll. It looks like people are in favor of keeping political threads by a 3-to-1 margin.

That is probably not including those who keep to the baseball side only because of the political ramblings here.

RedsBaron
01-21-2005, 01:48 PM
And I bet we could get a near unanimous vote if we polled on whether the board should offer free beer for posting. RedsZone is not a democracy.
Man, would KronoRed be drunk-20,000+ posts. ;)

Unassisted
01-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Man, would KronoRed be drunk-20,000+ posts. ;)I'm guessing that he'd be the most popular guy on the board, since he'd be giving it away to whoever happened to be around. :gac:

Johnny Footstool
01-21-2005, 03:05 PM
That is probably not including those who keep to the baseball side only because of the political ramblings here.

No one is forcing anyone to read the political threads. A person could stick to the "Be the last person to post" and "Top 5 album" threads and not visit the political threads at all.

CougarQuest
01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
No one is forcing anyone to read the political threads. Those who are offended by political ramblings don't have to click on the link to open them.
But of course the titles wouldn't offend anyone either.

Redsfaithful
01-21-2005, 03:17 PM
But of course the titles wouldn't offend anyone either.

If people are getting offended by the titles of political threads on the non-baseball side of RedsZone then I really have to wonder how they make it through life. It must suck to be that easily offended.

Boss-Hog
01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Johnny, you've been around long enough to know that I almost always make a post asking for input from the site's visitors before making an important decision for the site. However, sometimes the opinion of the majority is not always the way to make the proper decision. I hope you're not suggesting I ignore what the site's users think about issues just because I don't feel it's the appropriate way to reach a decision in this case.

Besides, you're not the one who receives private message about private message asking you to step in because a political thread violates the rules of the board - that would be our moderators.

Johnny Footstool
01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I hope you're not suggesting I ignore what the site's users think about issues just because I don't feel it's the appropriate way to reach a decision in this case.

I know you care a great deal about what the users think. That's why I was alarmed by your comment that your decision would have nothing to do with the outcome of the poll -- it seemed very uncharacteristic of you. I didn't mean for my comment to sound accusatory. I just thought it was odd that you would make a statement to the effect that the poll wouldn't even factor into your decision.

Boss-Hog
01-21-2005, 03:37 PM
I know you care a great deal about what the users think. That's why I was alarmed by your comment that your decision would have nothing to do with the outcome of the poll -- it seemed very uncharacteristic of you. I didn't mean for my comment to sound accusatory. I just thought it was odd that you would make a statement to the effect that the poll wouldn't even factor into your decision.
My point was that our decision wasn't solely going to be made based on the results of the poll, regardless of which way it fell. If you can't tell, I'm pretty indifferent to the political threads - I'm fine with them as long as they don't break any rules. However, even if 100% of the board had voted to keep these threads, if the moderators are being continuously hassled to break up arguments in these threads, the results of the poll wouldn't mean much to me.

MuEconRedLeg
01-21-2005, 05:18 PM
I have not read the entire thread, so forgive me if I am echoing, but does anybody else see the irony in how political this debate is? :)

TeamBoone
01-21-2005, 10:42 PM
With all due respect, that's not what the issue is here. The issue is the personal attacks made within these threads.

Sorry. I apparently missed the issue, even when I go back and read the posts prior to mine. I was merely sharing my opinion on the subject matter of the thread without, I guess, knowing the whole story. I just thought it was an opinion poll.

Agreed that the rules should be followed regardless of the topic.