PDA

View Full Version : Things I Wanna Do Before I Die.

wheels
01-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Sorry for the morbid title, and in case you're wondering, the answer is no...I'm not planning on dying anytime soon.

Thing is, I always think about stuff I wanna do in life, and just saying that I wanna do it before the Big Sleep ensues gives me some kinda copout, or opt out or something like that. Gives me a little time to put stuff off, which seems to be my favorite time killer these days. Lately, I've been doing the usual. Ya know. Sitting 'round talking about the old days and the crazy stuff I USED to do. Now, don't go getting the idea that I'm some kinda lump or something. I'm a pretty high energy guy, but life's not been necessarily jazzin' me these days. It's winter, so there's no baseball, or good touring bands. I just feel like I've been watching things go bye, and it's starting to bug me a little. Life's pretty good considering that I'm basically an uneducated rube hayseed kinda cat. I own a condo, a couple of cars, a totally bossed out Pit Bull, a bunch of records, a great girlfriend, and a buncha friends I don't see or talk to very much, and business that at least pays my mortgage.

What's the problem, then?

The answer to that isn't as simple as I'd like it to be, I guess. Maybe being thirty is causing me to have some kinda premature mid life crisis (that's what my shrink told me anyway, and he laughed at me...Come to think of it, he laughs at me alot, and I'm starting to think maybe I'm not going crazy, but that's another story).

Whatever...Here's the stuff I wanna do. Feel free to comment, or even better, post a list of your own. I think it would be kinda cool if you did, but don't feel too overly obligated or anything.

1. Start my own Tiki Bar/Occasional Rock N' Roll club. Since the Kahiki closed it's doors for the final time (which kinda symbolized the end of my younger days), this town has been sorely lacking anything of substance. I mean that. You could plop yourself down at the Kahiki Outrigger Bar, talk to the parrot, order yourself up a Backscratcher, and just take it easy. The Sunday brunch was to die for. I know I couldn't do anything to that grande of a scale, but I could do something that captured the essense of what it meant to be at the Kahiki, and once a month, I could book some kinda blowout Rock show. What a GAS!

2. Start that band that me and my friends have been talking about for going on three years now. Problem with that is, I don't really play an instrument or anything, but my friend Jim, and his grilfriend have been or still are in bands and would love it if I fronted a little side project type thing with them. I can bark 'em out with the best of 'em, and I think I could write some lyrics that would crack people up, and I wouldn't be afraid to flop around on stage and make a fool of myself. It'd probably be a grade A hoot.

3. Coach Little League. Kids rule in my book, and I think it would be fun to go out and hang with 'em. Teach 'em about the game and stuff. I think it would be awesome to coach a team chock full of on base machines that love to go out there, wear the uniform the right way, play hard and not argue with umpires. My team would be a model for good sportsmanship, all the while having a totally boss time, win or lose. Man...That would be great. Of course, none of them would bunt. I hate bunts. I'd just tell 'em to get a good pitch and rip at it. Swing from the heels and run as fast as they can. I could also take them to Reds games and stuff. Yeah!

4. Travel, travel, travel. Four hundred year old houses in Europe? I wanna be there. Scuba diving with Great White Sharks in Australia (I'm a certified SCUBA diver, btw...It's been a great pickup line for me)? I'm there. Sushi in Japan? Yup! That's for me. Hanging out at the Villa Velour, home of the immortal Edgar Leeteg of Tahiti? I'm sooo freaking there! Surfing in Africa with monkies? Oooooohhhhh....It happens and I wanna do that.

I'm sure there's other stuff, like going to the World Series again, but I can't control that.

I just wanna get out and live life like it should be lived. I guess it's not that crazy of a notion.

Once again, feel free to post your goals, dreams and perspirations.

Otherwise, I'm gonna go back to feeling crazy again.

01-24-2005, 12:50 AM
I wanna ride a bicycle across Europe and run the big 10-K in Nassau, Bahamas. But mostly I wanna live a life that I will look back when I am old and feel I made the right decisions.

01-24-2005, 12:51 AM
:help: Damn, I'm sooo boring.....

bomarl1969
01-24-2005, 09:59 AM
1. Open/operate my own gym/boxing club.

2. Pay off my home loan in about 11-13 years.

3. Someday have a son.

4. See the original Motley Crue (which I plan to do this year) and hopefully one day see an original G N R reunion tour.

5. Witness the Cincinnati Bengals make the playoffs and eventually win a Super Bowl.

Hap
01-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Kick Orenthal James Simpson in the nuts.

Red Leader
01-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Kick Orenthal James Simpson in the nuts.

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

OMG, that was hilarious.

15fan
01-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Hap -

Have you ever heard Chris Rock's stand-up on the OJ thing? It's phenomenal.

"Now, I'm not sayin that I'd have killed 'em...But I understand."

TeamCasey
01-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Buy a camp on a small lake somewhere that I can someday retire to.

(Katie Hepburn on Golden Pond ....... that's what I want).

creek14
01-24-2005, 11:43 AM
I've had such a grand life I almost feel guilty wishing for more.

However, I hope to live long enough to see my grandchildren. I would love to be able to retire near a warm beach.

creek14
01-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Oh and then there is the whole Adam thing... :)

Red Leader
01-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Honestly, I would like to take my kids on a vacation to Europe and let them see a bunch of stuff I got to see when I was younger thanks to my parents. I would also like to visit Australia and Africa again, but my wife wouldn't go for Africa. I want to go to a bunch of places I went to as a kid to see if my memory of them is the same as the way they are.

I think my only shot is to be on the Amazing Race, my wife doesn't like travel overseas.

REDREAD
01-24-2005, 12:00 PM
1. Touch a piecred Bellybutton
2. Yell at John Allen face to face.
3. Run for a political office.

Probably won't get a chance to do any of them.

wheels
01-24-2005, 12:02 PM
You could yell at John Allen, I see him at ballgames all the time.

I don't yell at him, though. I just usually say "Hi John Allen!".

RosieRed
01-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I want to go to Antarctica. I've looked into it a little ... it's expensive as all get out, and it's a long trip. But one day, I would love to go.

I'd also like to see Mt. Everest. I don't want to climb it, I just want to see it.

:)

Red Leader
01-24-2005, 12:14 PM
I want to go to Antarctica. I've looked into it a little ... it's expensive as all get out, and it's a long trip. But one day, I would love to go.

I'd also like to see Mt. Everest. I don't want to climb it, I just want to see it.

:)

Antarctica? You could just pitch a tent outside your apartment complex now through next weekend and you'd save a bunch of money. ;)

RosieRed
01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Antarctica? You could just pitch a tent outside your apartment complex now through next weekend and you'd save a bunch of money. ;)

Good one RL!!

Yeah, I know, it's cold there. But I'm completely fascinated with the place. I've read countless books about the early Antarctica explorers (Amundsen, Scott, Shackleton, etc.) and I just want to see it for myself.

Doc. Scott
01-24-2005, 12:47 PM
4. Travel, travel, travel. Four hundred year old houses in Europe? I wanna be there. Scuba diving with Great White Sharks in Australia (I'm a certified SCUBA diver, btw...It's been a great pickup line for me)? I'm there. Sushi in Japan? Yup! That's for me. Hanging out at the Villa Velour, home of the immortal Edgar Leeteg of Tahiti? I'm sooo freaking there! Surfing in Africa with monkies? Oooooohhhhh....It happens and I wanna do that.

I'm leaving on my first real "grand adventure" in a little more than two months. 62 days, ten countries, a bunch of youth hostels, and a lot less blogging. I figure that by the time I get back, I'll know how much I really like traveling. :)

RosieRed
01-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm leaving on my first real "grand adventure" in a little more than two months. 62 days, ten countries, a bunch of youth hostels, and a lot less blogging. I figure that by the time I get back, I'll know how much I really like traveling. :)

A friend of mine had a similar trip this past Sept-Nov. ... 10 weeks in Europe, lots of countries, many hostels. She had the time of her life. One of her favorite things she did was swim in (the freezing cold) Loch Ness. :)

Roy Tucker
01-24-2005, 12:52 PM
My uncle and aunt just went on an Antartica trip. He said it was truly awesome and that the Lemaire Channel was worth the cost of the trip alone.

My uncle is one of those guys that grabs life by the horns and does amazing stuff. He was a Navy carrier pilot, sails very competitive regattas in the Great Lakes in a 32 ft. sailboat (named "Gusto"), last year walked the Sydney Harbor bridge, built and flew his own glider, has his own plane, skis all over the world, made mogambo $ in the stock market, just an amazing guy.

I'm like creek, I want to spend time with my grandkids.

The other things is to go to Munich for the Oktoberfest and drive an RV all around the continent for a few years.

TeamCasey
01-24-2005, 01:01 PM
and drive an RV all around the continent for a few years.

I'd like this one too. I figure I can do the RV trip when I close up my camp/home for the winter.

I'll tour the southern states each year.

CaiGuy
01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Scuba Dive the Great Barrior Reef

Move to the Caribean

And...most importantly...see the Red's win a World Series. :gac:

P.S. Right before the Bengals win Superbowl!

westofyou
01-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Write a baseball book, do up Australia and New Zealand, go the Louvre, spend a month in Moab.

traderumor
01-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Be sure of my salvation. Anything else is cake.

REDREAD
01-24-2005, 03:12 PM
WOY, forgive my ignorance, but what is Moab?

Fil3232
01-24-2005, 04:45 PM
St. Andrews
Pebble Beach
Bethpage Black
Pinehurst No. 2

Augusta

westofyou
01-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Utah.

http://bikeaddict.com/photos/images/cliffporcupine_jpg.jpg

Roy Tucker
01-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Somehow, I don't think he meant this (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/moab.htm).

KronoRed
01-24-2005, 05:02 PM
See Pearl Harbor
See London
Visit all 50 states
:D

dman
01-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Start my own charter flight business
Meet Jeremy McGrath
Make it to D.C. just as the Cherry Blossoms are blooming. Somehow I always seem to miss this. If anyone's ever been there during this time of year feel free to comment.

wheels
01-24-2005, 06:46 PM
It rules.

I went there in 1986 on a Middle School field trip.

I had my first real kiss under one of those trees.

I also saw a real Karate fight out on the street. I mean, this guy was totally roundhouse kicking this cab driver guy, and then he reached into to his car and pulled out nunchucks and then totally started walluping him with them even after he got roundhoused. It was the most awesome thing I've ever seen.

I love D.C.

REDREAD
01-24-2005, 09:44 PM
You could yell at John Allen, I see him at ballgames all the time.

I don't yell at him, though. I just usually say "Hi John Allen!".

Well, at a ballgame it would be too easy for him to get away, and he might call security :)

paintmered
01-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Play the following courses:

Pebble Beach
Pinehurst No. 2
Firestone C.C.
Muirfield Villiage
St. Andrews
TPC at Sawgrass
Harbor Town
Riviera
and Augusta National if they don't shoot me when I step foot on the place.

cincinnati chili
01-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.
Lawrence: Well what about you now? what would you do?
Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Well yeah.
Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
Peter Gibbons: I'd relax, I would sit on my ass all day, I would do nothing.
Lawrence: Well you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Just take a look at my cousin, he's broke, don't do &%#@