PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Lies Ever Set To Music

macro
01-25-2005, 01:16 AM
What are the biggest lies ever set to music? I'll throw out a couple of nominees, just to get the ball rolling:

All you need is love. Love is all you need. (This whopper told by Lennon and McCartney. I've never met a landlord or finance company who would take "love" for a monthly payment. Can you depend on "love" for your nutritional needs?)

Love hurts. (I think it was Nazareth who said this. Shouldn't it be that unreciprocated love hurts? Nazareth should have been clearer about what they meant.)

Okay, those are the first two that come to my mind. Yours?

BCubb2003
01-25-2005, 02:33 AM
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

RedsBaron
01-25-2005, 08:06 AM
The Beatles themselves demonstrated that "love was not all you need" in their own lives. Much truer IMO was the song "Without Love" sang, by among others, Elvis Presley: "Without love I am nothing." Love is not ALL you need, but without love, nothing else matters, a truth expressed by Paul in his letters to the Corinthians.
Other lies set to music--how about "Everything Is Beautiful" by Ray Stevens? Many things are beautiful, but some things are terribly ugly.
In "San Quentin," Johnny Cash concluded before an audience of inmates that San Quentin had "done no good." Well, without a doubt there are reforms needed in our prison system, but keeping convicted murderers, rapists and thieves off the streets seems to be "good" to me.
One of the dumber lines ever set to music was in Bruce Springsteen's "No Surrender" when the Boss sings "We learned more from a three minute record baby than we ever learned in school." I sure hope not.

Hap
01-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Any Michael Jackson song where he claims to be in love with an adult female.

Any Hank Williams, Junior song where he claims to have had a working class rural existence.

RedFanAlways1966
01-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Any Michael Jackson song where he claims to be in love with an adult female.

:MandJ: Like Billie Jean? Or was it Billy Gene?!??!

RedFanAlways1966
01-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Biggest Lies Ever Set To Music

Hands down... Milli Vanilli. Wait... not exactly what macro meant. Lucky for you, Ashlee.

For anyone who has been to a bar in the last 20 years... you know good ol' Joan Jett was full of it when she sang, "Put another dime in the jukebox baby." A dime? You had better put 9 more of those suckers in the machine if want to hear just one song.

Def Leppard... Too Late For Love. Since when? As far as I am concerned it is never too late for love. It could be 6:00 am, after staying up the whole night, and I feel it is the perfect time for love. She wants love... I am here. Doesn't matter how late it is.

Any Judas Priest song that references love. I used to worship the band and their singer, Rob Halford, back in the day. Coming to Dayton or Cincy in concert... I was there. Now that Rob has gone public, I just kind of squirm when I get out the old CDs and hear a reference to love. Rob has every right to sing. But the words just don't mean the same thing to me anymore. However, I must admit... I'd still go see 'em live if in the area. K.K., Glenn & Rob... awesome rockers. The lyrics just aren't the same anymore!

Black Sabbath had a song on their Heaven & Hell album called Lady Evil. I am not sure about the rest of you guys... but I have never met a lady who was or could be evil. You feel the same, right? :devil:

GAC
01-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Love hurts. (I think it was Nazareth who said this. Shouldn't it be that unreciprocated love hurts? Nazareth should have been clearer about what they meant.)

You do realize that the original title for this song was "Size Does Matter".

Two that come to mind?

"Hope I die before I get old"- My Generation (Pete Townsend)

and

"It's better to burn out then fade away"- Rust Never Sleeps (Neil Young)

As John Lennon once said in an interview... "Then why didn't they do it if that is what they believe?" ;)

RedFanAlways1966
01-25-2005, 10:24 AM
"Mama, I'm Coming Home"... by Ozzy Osbourne.

I am sure that the vast majority of us have come to realize, thanks to The Osbournes, that lovable Ozzy couldn't find his way out of a wet paperbag. We are supposed to believe that Ozzy can actually find his way home w/out Mama or someone guiding him or holding his hand (like Sharon does on the TV show)? Please!

zombie-a-go-go
01-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Can you depend on "love" for your nutritional needs?

Well, for protein, maybe.

REDREAD
01-25-2005, 10:34 AM
"Last Dance with Mary Jane, one more time to ease the pain" -- Somehow, I doubt that was Tom Petty's last dance with MJ. ;)

Redsland
01-25-2005, 11:11 AM
"Safety Dance" looks awfully dangerous with all those people running around with choking-hazard ribbons all over the place.

"Stayin' Alive" - The Bee Gees

"American Badass" - Kid Rock

Johnny Footstool
01-25-2005, 12:39 PM
"MacArthur Park" - someone left a cake out in the rain? Not on my watch, brutha!

Cedric
01-25-2005, 01:13 PM
The Pete Townshend line is the biggest truth i've ever known. But once I hopefully get older i'm sure that will change :)

gilpdawg
01-25-2005, 01:31 PM
LOL @ Judas Priest lyrics. Especially Turbo Lover.
Disclaimer: I'm a huge Judas Priest fan.

Blimpie
01-25-2005, 03:32 PM
The Pete Townshend line is the biggest truth i've ever known. But once I hopefully get older i'm sure that will change :)
You scooped me on that one...how about another Townshend line: "The sea refuses no river...." (From All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes)

pedro
01-25-2005, 03:58 PM
you can't touch this.

Mutaman
01-25-2005, 08:19 PM
"I Can't Get no Satisfaction". Certainly true for those of us listening to the song, but I got a feeling Mick and Keith were plenty satisfied.

UKFlounder
01-25-2005, 08:43 PM
We don't need no education - Pink Floyd

I'm on Fire - Bruce Springsteen (Unless he was on a Pepsi commercial with Michael Jackson)

GAC
01-25-2005, 08:44 PM
"I Can't Get no Satisfaction". Certainly true for those of us listening to the song, but I got a feeling Mick and Keith were plenty satisfied.

This is what satisfaction does to ya! Beware!

http://www.bongonews.com/StoryImages/keith_richards.jpg

GAC
01-25-2005, 08:47 PM

It will. Just like it did with Pete. During one of the Who's last concert tours (not sure which one :lol: ) he refused to sing those lyrics because he no longer believes in them. I guess when you're close to 60 it's easier to believe in. ;)

KronoRed
01-25-2005, 08:47 PM
GAC..I move you be banned for posting that picture! :help:

GAC
01-25-2005, 08:56 PM
This was somebody's baby once. ;)

http://www1.findaproperty.com/library/libp1385.jpg

Hap
01-25-2005, 09:23 PM
One of my top five favorite songs is "Freewill" by Rush.

However, I somewhat disagree with the implication that freewill is always a clear path. Freewill is also not always a choosable option.

cincinnati chili
01-25-2005, 10:58 PM
McHammer's 'Too Legit to Quit.'

To quote RFS62... "Talk about wrong."

REDREAD
01-25-2005, 11:12 PM
One of my top five favorite songs is "Freewill" by Rush.

However, I somewhat disagree with the implication that freewill is always a clear path. Freewill is also not always a choosable option.

If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice :)

macro
01-25-2005, 11:40 PM
You do realize that the original title for this song was "Size Does Matter".

Oh, my! :eek:

Well, for protien, maybe.
Oh, my!! :barf:

http://www.bongonews.com/StoryImages/keith_richards.jpg

Oh, my!!! :scared:

CougarQuest
01-25-2005, 11:45 PM
The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout .... Lies, all lies.

CougarQuest
01-25-2005, 11:46 PM
And don't EVEN get me started on "This little piggy went to the market ...

KronoRed
01-25-2005, 11:51 PM
"She Loves you"

No she doesn't!!!!! :(

RedFanAlways1966
01-26-2005, 08:24 AM
"She Loves you"

No she doesn't!!!!! :(

Along the same lines.... Motley Crue's song on the Dr. Feelgood album called "She Goes Down".

Some internet research (can't speak firsthand...) shows that about 50% of the guys on RZ would say, "No, she doesn't!" :devil:

GAC
01-26-2005, 08:48 AM
And don't EVEN get me started on "This little piggy went to the market ...

I've always had problems with Jack and Jill. I think the little wench pushed him down that hill. ;)

RedFanAlways1966
01-26-2005, 08:57 AM
I've always had problems with Jack and Jill. I think the little wench pushed him down that hill. ;)

Oh come on, GAC. Just b/c she went and got a $1 million life insurance policy for Jack, that named her the beneficiary, just before Jack's tumble does not mean anything. As Johnnie Cochran would say (and has said many-a-time), "Circumstantial." And rumor had it that her and that Little Jack Horner dude were seen out in the clubs together... dirty dancing and such. Does not mean anything.

bomarl1969
01-26-2005, 10:33 AM
"Mama, I'm Coming Home"... by Ozzy Osbourne.

I am sure that the vast majority of us have come to realize, thanks to The Osbournes, that lovable Ozzy couldn't find his way out of a wet paperbag. We are supposed to believe that Ozzy can actually find his way home w/out Mama or someone guiding him or holding his hand (like Sharon does on the TV show)? Please!

Maybe in 91 when he wrote the song he MAYBE could find his way home. How after 14 more years of drug and alcohol abuse...NEVER!!!

bomarl1969
01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
"Last Dance with Mary Jane, one more time to ease the pain" -- Somehow, I doubt that was Tom Petty's last dance with MJ. ;)

I think that song was about a dope addict that decided to quit the drugs!

bomarl1969
01-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Seperate Ways-Journey

If a woman leaves you for another man come on? Are you really going to tell her if he ever hurts you, you know I still love you.

Johnny Footstool
01-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Bryan Adams - "Summer of '69"

Bryan Adams was born in November 1959, so he was 9 during that magical summer when he "got his first real six string," worked at the drive-in, met a girl, formed a band, etc.

macro
01-26-2005, 11:11 AM

Bryan Adams was born in November 1959, so he was 9 during that magical summer when he "got his first real six string," worked at the drive-in, met a girl, formed a band, etc.

That always bugged me, too. I guess "Summer of '76" just didnt' have the same ring to it?

Johnny Footstool
01-26-2005, 11:29 AM
That always bugged me, too. I guess "Summer of '76" just didnt' have the same ring to it?

Funny thing is, The Alarm wrote a song with very similar themes called "The Spirit of '76." I guess that just didn't occur to Bryan Adams.

But if it had, we would have been cheated out of hearing the line "Me and my baby in a '69" on the radio.

Redsland
01-26-2005, 11:33 AM
How dare you include Bryan Adams in a sentance with The Alarm.

:nono:

Johnny Footstool
01-26-2005, 01:29 PM
How dare you include Bryan Adams in a sentance with The Alarm.

I only did it to show how much smarter/cooler/better they were than Mr. Adams.

Did you catch The Alarm on "Bands Reunited"?

REDREAD
01-26-2005, 01:50 PM
I think that song was about a dope addict that decided to quit the drugs!

yeah, I always assumed it was about dope, but I figured it was more like.. one more dance.. and then the story progressed, and then it was another and another..

Chip R
01-26-2005, 01:50 PM

Isn't he Canadian? Maybe they mature earlier up there and the child labor laws aren't as strict. ;)

REDREAD
01-26-2005, 01:51 PM
But if it had, we would have been cheated out of hearing the line "Me and my baby in a '69" on the radio.

never caught that one :MandJ:

Redsland
01-26-2005, 01:52 PM
I only did it to show how much smarter/cooler/better they were than Mr. Adams.

Did you catch The Alarm on "Bands Reunited"?I wish. :(

Instead I was "treated" to such former stars as Vixen and Romeo Void. (Who?)

"Knife Edge"? "Spirit of '76"? That's what I'm talking about.

:rockband:

Unassisted
01-26-2005, 03:11 PM
It Never Rains in Southern California - Albert Hammond

wolfboy
01-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Isn't he Canadian? Maybe they mature earlier up there and the child labor laws aren't as strict. ;)

I blame it on the metric system. :D

Redsland
01-26-2005, 03:51 PM
"Now see here! The Canadian government has apologized for Bryan Adams on several occasions!"

GAC
01-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
Wonder if she's gone to stay
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And this house just ain't no home
Anytime she goes away

- Bill Withers

How many married men on here feel this way? :lol: