Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett - THE AVIATOR
Laura Linney - KINSEY
Virginia Madsen - SIDEWAYS
Sophie Okonedo - HOTEL RWANDA
Natalie Portman - CLOSER

Unassisted
01-25-2005, 09:42 AM
The Aviator has a total of 11 nominations. I don't foresee a sweep, though. Tough competition this year.

Unassisted
01-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Drudge is crowing about Michael Moore being shut out. No nominations for Fahrenheit 9-11. Moore's stunt at last year's Academy Awards may have cost him a nomination this year.

Bob Borkowski
01-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Click Chip's link and you will find that 'The Passion of the Christ' received nominations in these categories:

Best Original Score
Achievement in Makeup
Achievement in Cinematography

Considering Mel Gibson's 'go-it-alone' approach, I'm surprised the movie got even these 3 nominations. He certainly made them eat crow...the movie was a real blockbuster financially.

Redsfaithful
01-25-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm very surprised to see no Passion or Fahrenheit. Those were easily the two most important movies of 2004, regardless of your opinion of either.

LvJ
01-25-2005, 10:10 AM
The Aviator won't and shouldn't sweep (though, a GREAT movie).

RedsBaron
01-25-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm very surprised to see no Passion or Fahrenheit. Those were easily the two most important movies of 2004, regardless of your opinion of either.
I agree re their importance. I'd guess the subject matter of "Passion" kept most voters from recognizing the film in major categories, while Michael Moore's behavior at prior Oscar telecasts hurt the chances of his film being recognized.

Chip R
01-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Perhaps they just wanted to avoid controversy. Passion was obstensibly a foreign film so they could have thrown Mel a bone and nominated it for best foreign film. Farenheit was probably too controversial to nominate. Perhaps the folks doing the nominating felt it wasn't enough of a documentary to be included. Who knows?

Redsfaithful
01-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Actually just read that Moore opted out because he wanted Fahrenheit shown on television before the election and that disqualified him. Not sure if that's true, I'm just passing it along.

zombie-a-go-go
01-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Hmm. I only saw two of those films (Eternal Sunshine and Maria Full of Grace). I feel like such a philistine. ;)

Sweetstop
01-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Michael Moore didn't enter his film in the documentary category (hoping to get a best picture nomination instead), which is why he didn't get any....according to Katie and Matt on The Today Show.

Chip R
01-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Hmm. I only saw two of those films (Eternal Sunshine and Maria Full of Grace). I feel like such a philistine. ;)
I only saw Collateral. I'm boycotting the ceremonies because Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle wasn't nominated. ;)

Redsfaithful
01-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm disappointed Eternal Sunshine didn't get a Best Picture nomination. That was probably my favorite movie of 2004.

WVRed
01-25-2005, 10:45 AM
I bet conservative talk show hosts are going nanners.

Unassisted
01-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm disappointed Eternal Sunshine didn't get a Best Picture nomination. That was probably my favorite movie of 2004.Interesting - I've seen 7 of the movies on that list and Eternal Sunshine was probably my least favorite. Collateral, The Aviator and Kinsey were my top 3.

RedsBaron
01-25-2005, 10:59 AM
I bet conservative talk show hosts are going nanners.
They were probably be going crazier if Moore's film had been nominated for best picture while Gibson's had not.
Sometimes too much is made of the nominations. "Saving Private Ryan" didn't win best picture, but is probably better remembered and more highly regarded than whichever film won that year. "Star Wars" is probably more highly regarded than "Annie Hall", which was the best picture winner in 1977. Clark Gable's Rhett Butler from "Gone With The Wind" is a more remembered character than Robert Donat's title character in "Goodbye Mr. Chips, " but the latter won the best actor nod for 1939. Humphrey Bogart did not win a best actor Oscar for his performance as Richard Blaine in "Casablanca."

LvJ
01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm disappointed Eternal Sunshine didn't get a Best Picture nomination. That was probably my favorite movie of 2004.

Agreed.

KronoRed
01-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Boo on some of these

Mutaman
01-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I was surprised recently to learn that Peter O'toole had never won an oscar, figuring for sure that he won for Lawrence. So I looked up 1961 and saw that he lost out to Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird. No complaints thats a hell of a movie, even watching it 40 years later. Then I saw the other nominees that year-
Burt Lancaster -- Birdman of Alcatraz

Jack Lemmon -- Days of Wine and Roses

Marcello Mastroianni -- Divorce--Italian Style

Am I alone in thinking they just don't make them like they used to?

GAC
01-25-2005, 08:50 PM
I only saw Collateral. I'm boycotting the ceremonies because Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle wasn't nominated. ;)

I've boycotted them for decades because I think they are B-O-R-I-N-G. :allovrjr:

And anymore, when I finally see the movies that won Oscars I wonder "what's the big deal?" .... The English Patient? :sleep:

TC81190
01-25-2005, 08:54 PM
I only saw Collateral. I am going to boycott them for not nominating good movies.

KronoRed
01-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Seems most of the Best Picture movies came out recently, do these people KNOW movies come out all year? ;)

Raisor
01-25-2005, 09:26 PM

That movie was funnier then it had any right to be.

Still really stupid, though.

RedsBaron
01-26-2005, 06:37 AM
I've boycotted them for decades because I think they are B-O-R-I-N-G. :allovrjr:

And anymore, when I finally see the movies that won Oscars I wonder "what's the big deal?" .... The English Patient? :sleep:
I agree that most of the Oscar telecasts I've watched have been boring, which is why I rarely watch that much anymore. I have found sometimes host Billy Crystal's comedy to be fun.
By the way, did you read about the skit Crystal and Steve Martin wanted to put on a few years ago at the Oscars. The two of them were to "argue" about which of them was the better host, only to drop the argument when Johnny Carson walked out. The skit never was put on because Carson, long retired, declined to appear.

Ohashikto11
01-26-2005, 07:59 AM

:p: Collateral is also the only movie I've seen of those. I also agree on the Harold and Kumar note.